Priceless Love

By dreamerek

Sanem Aydin is living her dream life in Paris, as she is about to graduate from college with the intention of... More

Family Dynamics and First Meetings
First Love and Football
Can's Albatross Dreams and Turkish Tea
Sanem's Perfume Dreams and New Beginnings
One Kiss in the Dark and Two Lives Changed Forever
Hospital Visits and Deja Vu
Author's Note
A Trip to Agva and a Huge Case of Deja Vu
Childhood Crushes and Dance Partners
Wine and Boyfriends
Misunderstandings and Apologies
Truths Revealed and Love Blossoms
Being Alone Together and Hammocks
Albatross Sightings and Boxing Matches
Courageous Steps and Old Wounds Revealed
Confessions and Albatross Landings
Author's Note
Connections and Stolen Moments
Need Your Help with a Poll
Charity Balls and Surprises
Courage and True Love
Bandana Games and Perfect Dates
Confessions and Scary Moments
Taking Chances and Finding Hope
Offers and Decisions
New Beginnings and Endings
Albatross Wings and Departures
Discovery and Reinvention
Dreams Fulfilled and New Ventures
Debts Settled and Misunderstandings
Readings and Reunions
Facing the Past and Looking into the Future
Baby Sitting and Fiery Encounters
One Thing and The Interview
First, Last and Fireflies
Weddings and Redemption
Vows and Promises Kept

Making Memories and Finding New Friends

514 57 75
By dreamerek

When Can's phone rang late that night, he jumped up and lunged for it knowing something must be wrong.

Seeing Sanem's name, he answered quickly, already out of breath from worry, Sanem! Are you alright? 

She was quietly sobbing and whispered, Can, I don't know what to do.

Sanem, are you at your parents' house still? I'll come to you. Just give me a few minutes to get dressed. I'll text you when I get there, he said quickly as he turned on the light.

Ok, she whimpered, sniffling some more.

Can grabbed for some jeans and a shirt, slipping on his shoes without bothering to look for socks. He made a grab for his keys and wallet as he flew out the door and to his truck.

Pushing his hair back, he glanced at the clock. He didn't realize it was 3 am. He stifled a yawn and drove as quickly as he could.

When he got close to the house, he texted Sanem that he was 2 minutes away.

He looked up when he parked the car and saw her standing in the doorway in her robe. She had been crying for what seemed like hours, evidenced by her tearstained face.

Bebek, askim...he whispered as he held her and led her back to the truck not caring what Melihat might think.

He slid in next to her and drew her into himself and let her cry, as he smoothed down her hair and kissed her forehead.

I'm here, Sanem. I'm here. Tell me when you're ready so I can help, he whispered, making sure she felt safe and protected.

After a long while, she took out her favorite bandana from her pocket and wiped her face with it. In any other situation, he would have teased her about stealing it again but not tonight.

Oh Can, I feel so helpless. The doctor called earlier to give us the news instead of waiting for the appointment. It's stage 4 and a very rare cancer, she said, her words punctuated with sobs.

Bebek, I, I'm so sorry. So very sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. What are they saying can be done? Can asked, as he held her tighter.

Taking a breath and looking up, she answered, We will start with chemotherapy but it probably won't be enough. The good news is that it is contained and hasn't spread. But he said there is an experiment drug trial and fortunately it's available here in Turkey, she explained, wiping her eyes as she spoke.

Well, that's good news, askim. When does he start that? he asked, his eyes brightening with hope.

That's the thing. It's very expensive. Almost $20,000 a month for the medicine and all that would go with it. Can, we don't have that kind of money. Anne wants to sell the house. Leyla put together a financial plan, because she is..well..

Leyla, they both said in unison.

She choked out a sad chuckle. 

Yes, she is. But baba got very angry and said he would never allow it. Any of it. He said it would kill him to think that we would be left with nothing if this drug trial didn't work. With the ways things are with my grandparents, he felt there was no guarantee they would help us if that happened. But I was thinking. Maybe I could talk to them. Appeal to them as human beings. Borrow the money if I needed to until I could go through the program and start my business, she said, her words choppy and almost unintelligible.

Sanem, I know that you want to help but you know better than I do, what it would mean if you brought them back into your life, right? he asked, his thoughts rolling all over the place.

Can, I'll do anything, anything to help my dad live! I don't care what part of my future I'd give up. I don't know what else to do, she said loudly, her face flushed and in anguish.

Shhh, ok, ok, bebek. I understand. I know I'd want to do the same thing. Let's do this. Get some rest. You're exhausted. You need to get a good night's sleep so you can think clearly about this in the morning. You can talk to your mom and Leyla and see what they think, he explained, trying to soothe her.

No. I will do this myself, Can. I'm the one with nothing else to offer like they can. All I have is my pride and I'll willingly give that up to save my baba, she said sternly.

Nodding his head, he told her that he understood, that he loved her and after she had sufficiently calmed down, he helped her back to the house and stood guard outside until she texted him that she was safely in her bed before leaving.

He got back into his truck, his mind reeling with all that was happening. He slammed his hand on the steering wheel. He knew what would happen if she went into that lion's den. They wouldn't stop until they convinced her to give up her dreams and stay in Istanbul. Shaking his head in frustration, he drove away, looking back at the house from his rear view mirror wishing there was something he could do to help.

______________

Leyla laid in her childhood bed as she listened to Sanem close the front door. They were both staying there to be near their parents now and for as long as they were needed. She saw when Can's truck pulled up and knew Sanem must have called him.

She went back to the document she had been working on at the desk on her laptop. Her father forbid her to do what she had suggested but there was no way she would sit by and do nothing.

She knew that her grandparents had the means, above and beyond the means, to help pay for this drug trial. She also knew that her parents would be furious at her for going to them for help. She read between the lines the day she discovered the truth about them having paid for her and Sanem's schooling all those years. There was a deal struck there and it probably had to do with them wanting to be a part of her and Sanem's life.

She was devising a plan in the event she was right. She knew in negotiations, you had to have the right motivator to get what you wanted.

So if her grandparents wanted to be a part of her life again after all they had done to her family, she would use that to gain their trust and the money needed. Her family didn't need to know. She was close to figuring out how to accomplish what she needed to to but wasn't quite there.

But one thing was for sure. By Monday evening, she would sitting down with her grandparents and she wasn't going to leave until she got what she wanted.

________________

Sanem woke up and stretched. She had overslept, no doubt from her sleepless night. After Can left, she tossed and turned. She wanted to go to Leyla's room to talk when she saw her lamp on but decided against it.

She needed to think. She knew what Can said was true. Her grandparents would manipulate her but she didn't care. It would take a lot to go begging to them for help after what they had done to her. But she had nothing left. Nothing of value and like she had told Can, that was a small price to pay to see her father get well.

Making her mind up to go to them on Sunday, knowing Saturday was going to be busy with their plans to cheer her dad and mom up, she settled down hoping her plan would work.

_________________

Friday evening, Can and Emre went to visit their parents and tell them about Nehat's news.

Ey!! Merhaba gasped as she listened to Can tell the details.

Oh, Can. This is awful. Just awful, Aziz said over and over. What can we do to help, son?

Well, Sanem and Leyla have asked us all to come over for lunch tomorrow. They will have it the Aydin home so Nehat can rest if needed. The doctors said he needs family and friends around him right now. So Mevkibe and the girls wanted to ask you to join us, Emre explained.

Yes, I will reschedule a portrait sitting I had in the afternoon but we will be there. Please thank them for their invitation and let them know we wouldn't miss it for the world, Aziz said as he picked up his phone to make those arrangements.

Merhaba offered, I'll text Mevkibe in a few minutes to see what we can bring also.

I think she will like that. She will need some support around her as well, anne. And I know you can be that for her, Can said with a smile.

Slapping his leg, Can said as he stood up, Alright, I'm headed home then. I have a few things to finish for work before I call Sanem and check on her.

If you have more of that pastry, anne, I'll be happy to help you eat it, Emre said with sly smile.

Chuckling, Merhaba led the way to the kitchen after hugging Can goodbye.

I'll walk you out, Aziz said to Can.

So, how do you feel they're all taking the news, son? he asked, his hand on Can's shoulder as they walked out.

Honestly? They're devastated. I think they were feeling a bit hopeful the last few weeks that the worst was over only to have this bomb dropped on them. Mevkibe is trying to be strong but shows her vulnerable side at times. 

You know, they shared some of their story with us. They have been through a lot over the years. I'm believing they will rally around each other and do everything they can for him. We will as well, he said confidently.

I told them as much, Can said with a smile as he hugged his father goodbye.

______________

Mevkibe waited until the girls were out buying the fresh bread they needed for the BBQ to call her mother.

Vera heard the phone ring and was shocked to see Mevkibe's name on the ID.

Hello? Mevkibe? she asked when she answered.

Good morning, anne. I don't have much time to talk. I wanted to see if I could come by and talk to you and baba tomorrow around lunch time. Would you be free about 11 am? It's important, she said as she kept her eyes open for the family.

Well, yes, we will be home. But can I ask what it's about? I haven't heard from you since the Charity Ball, Vera answered.

Anne, I don't want to talk about that right now. I just need to know if you'll be home. If you will, then we will talk then, she answered curtly.

Fine, fine. I will see you then, Vera answered as she heard her daughter hang up abruptly.

Vera checked to make sure she hadn't missed the call she had been waiting for and when she saw that she hadn't, she wondered if this conversation was about Nehat. It had to be. She felt like something was off. Hopefully she would hear from her colleague soon.

Later that morning, Vera got a text from Leyla asking to see her and her grandfather on Sunday as well. Not clear on what was going on, she accepted but didn't tell her about Mevkibe's phone call and made plans to see her a few hour after Mevkibe.

Yes, something is definitely wrong, she thought. 

______________

When Merhaba and Aziz arrived with Can and Emre, the Aydins greeted them warmly.

Merhaba opened her arms wide as Mevkibe let her embrace her in a loving hug. They had not known each other long but they felt like friends instantly when they first met.

My dear, I wish I could tell you how sorry I am to hear this news, Merhaba said as Mevkibe held back the tears.

Pulling away, she answered, Thank you, Merhaba. I'm so happy you were able to be here with us today.

Of course and it won't be the last time, she promised as she then hugged Nehat and wished him well.

Nehat and Aziz shook hands and spoke about the last photo shoot, trying not to say too much too soon.

When Nehat walked Aziz to get a drink, Aziz asked him how he was doing.

I don't know, honestly. My only concern is my family and making sure they are taken care of if anything happens to me, he said, his eyes beginning to tear up.

I can understand that but for now, let's keep your mind focused on getting you well, my friend, Aziz answered.

Nodding his affirmation, he thanked Aziz.

Listen, I know we have just met but it would seem that our families will be in each other's lives in the near future, Nehat said as they both looked towards Can and Sanem.

They both smiled and chuckled.

It would seem so, Aziz answered. We love Sanem. And Leyla. All of you!

Seeing Leyla and Emre helping Mevkibe set up the table, Nehat said, Looks like there's more than one love story happening, don't you think?

Aziz laughed and touched Nehat on the shoulder saying, We'd be happy with that being a possibility as well.

Well, with that in mind. I have to ask you something, Nehat said, his tone and face turning serious.

If anything does happen to me in the near future, he choked out, trying to keep his composure. I need to ask you if, if you would look after my family?

Aziz was shocked at the request and said quickly, Yes! Nehat you wouldn't even have to ask. There's a bond we have all felt with your family. It would be my honor to do that for you. But again. You're not going anywhere anytime soon, Nehat. You will fight with everything in you and find a way to beat this!

I will fight, Aziz. To my last breath. I have made provisions financially for my family in the event of my death. But if the chemotherapy doesn't work and I don't have long to live... my daughters will need someone to walk them down...down the aisle one day. I'm asking if you will do that for me, Nehat said, the tears freely flowing.

Nehat, he whispered as the tears welled up in his own eyes. I would be honored to do that for you, for your girls but you will walk them down that aisle! You will be around to have that privilege!

Seeing that Sanem was looking at them, they both wiped their tears and went to see how they could help with the grill.

A little while later, Aziz went into the kitchen to get more juice when he saw Sanem standing by the sink alone. She had obviously been crying.

Sanem? he asked as he watched her quickly dry her tears and turn to face him.

She gave me a sad smile and shrugged her shoulders.

He walked up and opened his arms so she could come to him.

Holding her, he said, Be strong, canim. You will all walk through this together. And when you lose your strength, know that our family will be with you. Always.

Thank you, Aziz, she whispered.

Can had brought his camera and took hundreds of pictures of them together.

They talked and laughed and ate more food than was humanly possible. No matter what happened to Nehat, he would have these photos for Sanem and her family to cherish.

____________

While everyone was busy talking and eating, Sanem snuck away for a few minutes. She had to place this call before she lost her nerve.

When Baris picked up, he hesitantly said, Sanem, I didn't expect your call.

No, I'm sure you didn't, Grandfather. I wanted to speak to you about something very important. Can we meet this evening? I can come to the house after dinner, she said, trying to sound strong.

Of course, Sanem. How about 6:30 this evening? he asked, curious about the nature of the meeting.

Yes, that's fine. I'll see you then, she said as she said goodbye and hung up.

Everything ok, askim? Can said as he came behind her, making her scream from fright.

Oh, Can! You scared me! she said, holding her chest.

I'm sorry. I just missed you, he answered, kissing her on the cheek.

You're sweet. Let's go back outside, she said nervously, as she held his hand.

He tried to lighten her mood as they walked around the yard, laughing and joking about something he had seen on TV recently. She giggled as he tried to tickle her and cover her mouth. She loved that he was trying to make her forget for just a little while.

She decided to wait until she had spoken to her grandfather before saying anymore to Can. She would make him promise not to tell her family about it.

______________

That afternoon, Vera finally got the phone call she had been waiting for.

Phillip, hello! Thank you for calling me back. I'm sorry to disturb you but it's very important, she said when she answered the call, walking to where she could be alone.

Yes, hello Vera. Helga made it seem urgent. I'm driving to the airport on my way home so I don't have much time. How can I help you? he asked.

I need some information about a patient at your hospital. I know his doctor is based out of there, she said.

After a few moments of silence he answered, Vera, you know that I can't do that. That's is a huge breech of privacy. I'm sorry. I can't help you, he said, his voice tense.

Philip, you know I wouldn't ask if it weren't important. It's about Nehat Aydin, she said.

Isn't that your, your son-in-law? I don't understand. Why aren't you speaking to your daughter about this? he asked, not liking where this was going.

Philip, you owe my a huge favor. I don't have to remind of what it is either, she warned, her voice turning tense.

Vera! I know I do but you're talking about something that could cost me my license, my career! Not to mention it's highly unethical, he thundered.

You know Nehat and I aren't..close. I need to find out what is going on with his health without asking him. Philip, please don't make me do something I'd regret later, she said with a threatening tone.

Shaking his head, he sighed and finally said, I was sent an email from the oncology department. Nehat has been diagnosed with a rare type of cancer and it's stage 4. He will need chemotherapy. His oncologist is trying to find funding for an experimental drug trial. It seems your family can't afford it, which is odd to me, don't you think? he said sarcastically.

Ignoring his jab, and shaken by the news, she asked, When would he need to start?

Right away if he wants to have even an inkling of a chance of survival. It's why I know about it. This would be a rare opportunity for our oncology department to treat. That's all I know, Vera. I will call us even after this, he said loudly as he hung up with her.

Vera sat down, thinking about what she had just heard. She hated that her only daughter had chosen that a man, one so beneath her, but she didn't want to see him ill. Not like this. When he first got sick, Baris said he was just looking for an excuse to not come to work so she didn't think much of it. It's why she hadn't called much or visited.

She thought about what Mevkibe was feeling. Realizing that was probably why she had called out of the blue, she thought about what to do. She wasn't sure Baris would help but she would convince him.

Vera's heart hurt for Leyla and Sanem. When her own mother had passed several years ago, she remembered how devastated she had been. 

Leyla must want to come and ask for help as well, she thought as she looked at her granddaughter's text.

She waited for Baris to arrive to talk to him about what they should do.

When he got home, he found Vera in the living room pacing.

What's wrong, Vera? he asked.

Baris, sit down. We need to talk, she said with a worried face.

She told him everything that Philip from the hospital board had revealed to her. Then about Mevkibe and Leyla wanting to see them the next day.

She saw when his eyebrows shot up hearing the news about Nehat.

So there's nothing they can do without this drug trial? he asked.

No, and Mevkibe and Leyla will undoubtedly be coming to ask for help. The fact that they called separately makes me think they are coming on their own, not wanting anyone to know. Baris, we have to help, she said as she took his hand.

Yes, of course we will, he answered, his mind wondering on Sanem's phone call. 

Baris, what are you thinking about? Vera asked when she saw that his thoughts had drifted.

Nothing, dear. I will take care of this. When did you say they were coming? he asked.

Mevkibe say about 11 and Leyla at 2, tomorrow, she repeated.

Don't meet with them yet. Let me think tonight about how we can help and you and I will speak in the morning. If all goes well, you can cancel with them, he said cryptically.

What do you mean? I don't understand, she said, her brows pinched together.

I told you, Vera. Let me handle this. You don't worry about it. By tomorrow we will have it all worked out, he said, trying to convince her to trust him.

He walked into his home office and sat down.

Nodding slowly, he thought about his plan to meet with Sanem in a few hours. He texted her to change their meeting to a nearby cafe. He didn't want Vera to know about this. She had softened since that mess at the Charity Ball and was angry for days when it all blew up in his face.

Yes, this will all be over with soon, he said to himself.

____________

This chapter is dedicated to:

Glsjcb31

Jmtuck492

Elenapema

Dannykarine

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 1.9K 55
On the one side of instanbul in the mahalle , Sanem dreams of the day that she can get away from her abusive step father. But her father has differen...
236K 11.6K 36
Book 1 (Completed) Can break's up with Sanem after finding out she gave Fabri the perfume and also her involvement his licence being revoked. Heartbr...
20.4K 2.7K 27
Part 2 of " The Return Home Series" Seven years they had been apart. The most challenging years of their lives. A new beginning for Sanem Aydin in Ga...
153K 9.8K 85
This is an AU story inspired in the original dizi of Erkenci Kus. I had some ideas to many open points that where left without a reply. I missed a di...