Lupin's Daughter

By hailssbales

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) its always ourse... More

a/n
the letters
diagon alley
Ollivanders
platform 9 3/4
the great hall
waves and full moons
falling out
home
double trouble
you'll feel better
they aren't all bad
gifts
underground
the prank
quidditch
fall
welcome home
birthday
halloween
dreaming
frames and broomsticks
new year
under the willow
flight
time's blur
to be alone
never let me down again
intertwined
curses and spells
date
carriage in the cold
confessions
on the ice
the christmas waltz
wildflowers

gobstones and gillyweed

34 0 0
By hailssbales

"Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted. Fireworks lit up the midnight sky in a bright technicolor show.

The New Year's party started in the Astronomy Tower and before the clock tower struck midnight, everyone made their way to the grassy hills, overlooking the black lake. Blankets were laid out for friends and lovers to sit on. Professor's stood around, keeping an eye on students, while enjoying the holiday themselves.
___

There had been no word from Sirius since Christmas and I could only hope he was ok. I received a letter from Regulus, he told me about just how busy it has been at the hospital. It was always that way at the start of the year but he loved to volunteer.

Dad visited one Sunday where the two of us met in Hogsmeade. He told me that Miss McCrea, the old lady who last Christmas had sold Reggie and I the picture frame, had died peacefully in her room upstairs above the shop. She had no children, no nieces or nephews to leave the shop to. Not a single living relative. In her will she had written that dad would keep the shop, and that was fine with him.

"I do like it," dad said. "It's peaceful and there's always a steady stream of customers."

"That's good!" I said, "I'm happy for you." I lifted my glass of butterbeer and took one long sip.

The old pub was busy with friends and couples. With dad being a long friend of Madam Rosmerta's we were shown upstairs where there were extra booths and tables, giving us a quiet place to catch up.

"You still have the house though? I asked.

Dad nodded, "yeah, I usually only go back on Saturday to check up on it. Water the plants, make sure everything is ok. It is easier to just wake up in the morning and already be at work," Dad said with a laugh." And with Regulus having been to busy to visit and with you gone, the house just felt to empty."

"Well you know I've only got, what is it? Five more years at Hogwarts after this? I'll be back before you know it! Then it'll be you and me in it again."

He took my hand and held tightly it, giving it a squeeze.  With a smile on his face he lifted his glass butterbeer and finished it off. Leaving the pub the two of us walked the streets of Hogsmeade, down to Honeydukes where the two of us stocked up on enough chocolate to last nearly a month.

We said goodbye and dad apparated home. I treaded along the wet stony path back to Hogwarts and I got there just in time for dinner.

"How was flying?" I asked Katie. Taking a seat beside her I began filling up a bowl of soup. I took a piece of bread from the table and spread some butter on it. I was starving after the long walk.

"It was fun! I love the challenge of flying when there's a fog," she said. "And I was able to convince Cormac to get on a broom!"
___

"Wingardium Leviosa." I said in a whisper. One of Ron's gobstones floated up into the air.

"Will you stop that!" The boy snapped in such frustration his cheeks turned nearly as red as his hair.

I had been messing with him for long enough and did need to focus again on my homework so I started reviewing my list of notes.

"Incendio." I said, pointing my wand toward the fire which had started to go out. The common room fire was set ablaze, bringing warmth to all around it.

"Harry! Oh good you're here!" Hermione said. She just walked in through the portrait hole and joined the three of us. "Gillyweed!"

"What?" Harry asked, clearly confused.

Hermione sighed before flipping open a book. "I was just in the kitchen trying to recruit for-"

"S.P.E.W." Ron interrupted. "We know."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Anyway. While I was there Dobby told me about gillyweed." She stopped on a page and leaned forward and read, "gillyweed is a magical plant that, when eaten, allows a human to breathe under water."

"So I'll be able to breathe? Without anything else?" Harry asked.

"Yes! Don't you see Harry? This is just the thing we've been looking for! I can't believe I didn't think of it myself," Hermione reached into her bag and pulled out a jar with a some murky liquid and a green leafed plant. Its roots were long and stringy, making it look the most unappealing. "Dobby gave this to me. He got it from Professor Snape's store room."

"He was in his store room?" I asked. Thinking back to christmas. Could it have been Dobby in his store room all those months ago?

"Yeah, he snuck it out from there, so be sure not to say anything." Hermione said.

"And we figured it just in time mate." Ron said.

Harry nodded in agreement. Tomorrow the second task will be held and Ron was right, they did figure it just in time.

"Well," Hermione got up from the couch. "Are you ready to go Ron?"

"Yeah, I guess." He got up, leaving his and Harry's game.

"Where are you two going?" Harry asked.

"Professor McGonagall asked to see us. Not sure why and I don't know how long we'll be," Hermione said.

"See you later." Ron said.

"Oh!" Hermione said, turning back around. "And one bunch will do." She nodded toward the jar. The two of them passed through the portrait hole, leaving Harry and I by the fire.

"Well we should probably get to bed. You especially." I said, collecting my books into my bag.

"Yeah, probably should. Big day after all."

We climbed up the stairs and said goodnight before parting ways.

I settled into bed and thought about tomorrow. The last tournament, which was several months ago I told Sirius off for coming around. Now I wished he might be there, perhaps watching from the lakes shore.
___

"And you haven't seen Hermione?" Harry asked.

The two of us were walking to the great hall together. It was the morning of the next task. Harry and I took a seat in his usual spot, in case Hermione and Ron were to show up.

"No I haven't." I said.

Ron never came back from McGonagall's office last night and neither had Hermione. The two of them missing did nothing to help Harry's nerves.

"Oi! Lupin!" Cedric Diggory called. He reached Harry and I on the stairs. "Have you seen Wes? We were supposed to have breakfast together and I didn't see him in the common room. I thought he might of gone along with you."

I shook my head. "Sorry but I haven't seen him. You know, Harry and I havent seen Ron or Hermione since last night." I said.

"It must have to do with the task." Harry realized.

"What? You really don't think they'd use students for a task? In the black lake?" Cedric said.

"Harry, I do think it strange but I agree with Cedric. It would be pretty reckless to do something like that."

"Don't you remember them making us fight dragons for a stupid egg? That was pretty reckless in my opinion."

Harry did have a good argument and we dropped it. We finished breakfast and the three of us walked to the docks at the lake. We got into a boat together and were magically rowed to the stands in the middle of the lake. There was a countdown and the four champions jumped into the lake to, like the voice inside the egg said, "recover what they took."

This task was not any less frightening as the first for who can say what lurks deep in the waters depths. It however was far less entertaining for we couldn't see what was happening beneath the surface. After about 20 minutes everyone took a seat on the ground.

"Oi! Look!" Someone shouted, pointing to the water. Fleur was being lifted up onto the deck and was quickly attended to by Madam Pomfrey.

Another thirty minutes went by before anything else happened. Everyone was now standing for the last minute before the hour limit was about to turn. Just then Cedric broke through the surface, holding Wes over one arm. Wes was laid down on the deck while Cedric clambered up, checking on his cousin he found him alright. Viktor followed shortly after and lying over his back, with arms held around his neck was Hermione. She too was just fine.

Everyone looked anxiously over the railing and down into the water, trying to look for some figure. A minute passed before two bodies emerged from the depths of the lake. Gabrielle and Ron were both pulled onto the deck and wrapped up in towels to keep from freezing. It really was an awful choice of activity for the season. It had been nearly another minute before Harry reached the surface and to, was pulled onto the deck. The second task was done and I felt a wave of relief.

"Harry, are you ok?" I asked, having just ran down the stairs. He was still shivering so I cast a spell to warm him up.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said.

"Hey Harry!" Cedric shouted over the crowd of friends surrounding him. "Ready for this bloody thing to be over?"

Harry nodded and a smile crept on his face.

Fred and George planned a party which started the moment Harry came back down from the boy's dormitory. He had showered, changed into dry clothes and now was ready to celebrate.

There was a table with plates of sausage rolls and chips. There were bowls of candy and stands with cauldron cakes. Kegs of butterbeer sat at the end of the table, and a few bottles of firewhiskey were brought by some Hufflepuffs.

Confetti continuously fell from the ceiling in a rain of color and a banner hung above the fireplace with Harry and Cedric's names on it. Everyone was celebrating the winning tie between the two of them.

The festivities went on long into the early morning, until Professor McGonagall shut down the party for it was disrupting her sleep. She sent all students to bed. After confiscating the remnants of firewhiskey, she left.
___

A/N

Just finished the artful dodger and there was so much to wrap up in the last ten minutes I was so on edge. The show was so good, I recommend it

Word count: 1728

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.1K 3.4K 51
・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .* Where it began, I can't begin to knowing But then I know it's growing strong Was in the spring And spring became the summ...
2.6M 81.9K 187
In which the marauders generation watch Athena Potters life and see the dangers of which awaits them. Where friends becomes enemies and enemies becom...
765K 22K 33
For the first time in his life, Remus J. Lupin can't seem to get into a good book. Why? Because everytime his eyes go down to the pages, he finds him...
250K 10K 32
This is the third Harry Potter book (PoA) from the perspective of Remus Lupin. --- "The murder of the Potters and Peter Pettigrew has always been a p...