COTE: Self-Preservation

By megadonkeykong

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's second year is upon him. There were a few words left to him by someone he trusted. It w... More

Prologue
Y2V1: New Beginnings
Y2V1: The Difficult First-Years
Y2V1: The White Room Student's Task
Y2V1: Choices and Confrontations
Y2V1: Horikita's and Ayanokouji's Troubles
Y2V1: Tsukishiro's Machinations
Y2V1: Calm Before the Storm
Y2V1 Epilogue: Jekyll and Hide
Y2V2: Tsubasa Nanase's Soliloquoy
Y2V2: Dealing with Expulsions
Y2V2: The Discovery Process
Y2V2: Step-by-Step
Y2V2: Time Draws Near
Y2V2: Last-Minute Adjustments
Y2V2: Farewells
Y2V2: The Trial
Y2V2 Epilogue: Wukong and Buddha
Y2V3: Ichika Amasawa's Soliloquoy
Y2V3: Tsukishiro's Departure
Y2V3: Begrudgingly Joining the Council
Y2V3: Stomping an Uprising
Y2V3: Creating Groups is a Chore
Y2V3: Competitions are Troublesome
Y2V3: Almost Everything's Set
Y2V3 Epilogue: Sherlock and Moriarty
Y2V4: Takuya Yagami's Soliloquy
Y2V4: Beginning of the Island Exam
Y2V4: Day 1
Y2V4: The Trials of the Island
Y2V4: The Highs and Lows of the Island Exam
Y2V4: The Events of Day 5 and 6
Y2V4: Nanase's Troubled Heart
Y2V4: The End of the First Half
Y2V4: Face-Off
Y2V4: Judgement Day
Y2V4: Beginning of the End
Y2V4: The Island's Climax
Y2V4 Epilogue: David and Goliath
Y2V4.5: The Heat of Summer
Y2V4.5: The Aftermath
Y2V4.5: Fortune Telling
Y2V4.5: This Better Not Awaken Anything In Me
Y2V4.5: Treasure Hunts Are Dangerous
Y2V4.5: My Extremely Platonic Date With Hirata Yosuke
Y2V4.5: A Midnight Snack With Koenji
Y2V4.5: Nearer My God To Thee
Y2V4.5 Epilogue: Bonnie and Clyde
Y2V5: Nagumo Miyabi's Soliloquoy
Y2V5: I'll Make Those Class-A Idiots Look Like Kids

Y2V3: The White Room Student

475 36 14
By megadonkeykong

Leaving my dorm, I began to make my way east. I'd never been there before, so I was interested in seeing what was there. 

'Make your way to Doyle's bar'

It seems like today is the day I discover the White Room student's identity.

The maps feature on our phones is only calibrated to show things within the school's border, so it was easy to find. Within the East, the landscape was pretty unique.

There was a large staircase that allowed you to see most of the Eastern area when you were at the peak. There were walkways with shops lined across either side, but there was one thing I found more interesting than that.

A port.

It seemed like it was an import site. The sparkling ocean under the reflection of the orange sunset was quite beautiful.

"Ayanokouji-senpai?"

I turned around and found Yagami from 1-B present.

"Nice to see you again, Yagami."

"Were you looking at the sunset?"

I nodded, "It was pretty striking. But the attractiveness is lessened by the piles of supply crates there."

Right across from the port were many multi-coloured crates stacked in rows. The rusty metal, the dirt across the sides, it kind of brought down the view. It rained the other day quite heavily, so the dirt's all gone a dark brown. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fish market here sometimes.

Yagami chuckled, "Ha, I guess so. It's still quite pleasant, though. What brings you here?"

"Ah, just meeting someone."

Yagami nodded, "Same here."

I proceeded to go down the staircase, finding that it wasn't paved near the ground.

Gravel, my old friend.

I looked at my phone for a moment, and it seemed it was at the far right, inside an alleyway.

You have such a large space to pick from and this is the spot you pick?

"Are you heading this way as well?" Yagami asked.

"Yeah, looks like it's in the far right. Practically near the border."

It looks like the gravel area had only to do with the port section that comes right after the staircase. After you turned right, it gradually became paved.

"I can see why the school's shuttle services don't work here. It's a bit of a missed opportunity, though."

Within the rest of the school, it wasn't unusual to have some taxis going around. This place was large and hilly, after all.

"Yeah. Maybe they'll do it eventually, there's enough space for it."

That missed opportunity aside, the ocean towards my left was enough to make up for it.

"You seem quite taken with the ocean, senpai. Do you not see it usually?" Yagami asked me.

I wouldn't say I never say it at all.

But...

"I never see it this closely usually. Usually, it's from afar whenever we're in school."

As the tide hits the walls, the ripples within the waves, it was almost hypnotic.

"How nice for you, senpai," Yagami remarked warmly.

The maps say that in a few minutes, I should be there. I thought Yagami was just going the same route as me for a short while, but could it be...

"Yagami."

"What is it, senpai?"

"Where are you heading?"

He donned a slight smile.

But it wasn't cordial or pleasant like the usual ones he carried.

"Doyle's bar."

So this is who it is.

"What was the 4th generation like?" Yagami asked.

I shrugged, stopping in my tracks and turning to face him. 

"I doubt it was much different from the 5th."

Yagami chuckled, shaking his head lightly and tilting it downward. 

"I've imagined this so many times! Face to face, we can finally have a conversation. Now that mysterious caller crap can be put to rest."

He laughed.

It was full of wonder, of joy, of exhilaration.

Like a child who just found their favourite toy.

He looked back up to face me with a wide grin showing a toothy smile, his eyes brimming with excitement.

"It's going to be great, isn't it?" 

"Do you want to continue this at the bar or do you just want to talk here?" I asked him.

Yagami turned his head to the right, putting his hands to his chin and letting out a shrug after a few moments, "Hmm, yeah, it's a waste of time."

He gazed back into my eyes.

"I thought I wouldn't see you on the way, but this opportunity is just so much better."

It was near feral.

Maybe instead of a child finding his favourite toy, it was like he was in a near euphoric state.

The sounds of the waves hitting the shore the only thing I could hear.

"So, Ayanokouji-senpai, let's play. In this exam, whoever places higher wins. Simple enough? It should be," Yagami asked, a wide grin on his face.

Hmm, that's possible, but I had something else in mind.

Still, something stuck out to me.

"Such a long, drawn out meeting place when that could've been said so simply over a call," I sighed.

Yagami spread his arms lightly, "This is a meeting long in the making, it's par for the course."

"What about your orders from Tsukishiro?"

Yagami chuckled lightly, "Orders? Who cares? What does me expelling you give? Some half-assed applause? It just proves I beat you in a game where I had all the cards. It's so boring."

I'm starting to understand it, partially.

An existence defined by his results in comparison to mine.

The shackles which hold him back are... Me.

If I win, he'd have nothing to keep fighting for. Ironically, the thing that's gotten him this far is hatred for me.

As for a world where I'll lose— I just don't believe that's possible.

"So the island exam has been your envisioned stage, huh?"

"Nothing more fitting."

If he had no intention to go against me, I'd just leave him be. Why attack someone who is just like I am?

"You agreed already. Besides, what's there to stop you? If you lose, you stop getting chased. If you win, things continue as normal and I'll never bother you again. What a perfect scenario, isn't it?" Yagami smiled, "I'll do my best to crush you, so rejoice."

I wish he could.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish he could do it.

"I wonder what you'll do if I reject."

Yagami chuckled, "Do you think you can stop me?"

Hmm, it's possible. But also too much work.

In all honesty, this just makes my original goal when it came to this exam a little more complicated.

"Can I change something in the conditions? How about whoever gets first place wins?" I suggested.

Yagami arched a brow, "Hmm, what about Nagumo Miyabi?"

"I can deal with him. That's the only real obstacle here, isn't there? Without him, it's down to the two of us."

Within my heart, an ember of desire began to flare for the first time in a while.

"Alright then. I'll agree to your deal. Whoever gets first place in the exam wins."

Yagami was practically beaming.

"I just need some proof from you. Something to show so I can prove I beat you, a written document shall do. Come over to Doyle's Bar on the 14th then."

I nodded.

He stretched his hand out, and I firmly grasped his hand.

A verbal agreement's been reached, huh?

"I'll be seeing you then, Ayanokouji."

He walked past me brazenly, not taking a single look back.

"First place, huh?"

Show me, Yagami.

Show me what your resolve ends up becoming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 215 7
He laid the pathway for their success, but he would also be the one to tear it down. To be defeated, to feel what the weak feel. These were things Ay...
16.3K 686 13
The White Room has been revealed to the world. The facility is no more. Two years after graduating from ANHS, Ayanokoji turns to the one option of es...
846K 34.9K 97
" You are being admitted to Class-D, the worst Class of your year. " " If you successfully reach Class-A, you will get freedom for your lifetime " "...
189K 3.5K 200
This is my first time wirte the story!This story begins in its second school year, director Sakayanagi was never removed as his father did not accuse...