Rimuru: A Second Chance that...

By DragoLuck12

He lost everything. His friends, his family. Then, he had a chance to restart his life, and protect his loved... More

Prologue: Loss
Arrival and Brotherhood
Side Chapter: Headaches
Goblins Part 1
Goblins Part 2
Side Chapter: Direwolf
Dwargon Part 1
Dwargon Part 2
Shizue Izawa Part 1
Shizue Izawa Part 2
Shizue Izawa Part 3
Conflict and Observer
Live, for life is full of purpose
Peace... and Perversion?
Development and reflection
Demise of the Ogre Clan
Conversing within the Void
Ogres Part 1
Ogres Part 2: Conversation in the woods
Omake #1
Ogres Part 3: Naming and Consequence
Cooking?
Fate of a Lizardman, Discussion about the Future, and an "Surprise" Guest
Meeting and Promises
The Orc Disaster
Dwarven King Gazel
Side Chapter: Observers in the Stomach. A wonderful place to be.

Consequences and Developments

1K 36 21
By DragoLuck12

["The Orc Disaster has been absorbed, Master. But there seems to be a problem."]

"What kind of problem, Ciel?"

["A minor one, Master. There is something that I do not understand."]

"What is it?"

["A dark purple shard, Master. For some reason the Orc Disaster had it attached to its soul. They seem to be a part of a soul, but to who remains the question."]

"..."

["It does not seem to belong to anyone we know, Master, nor anyone we have met. It does not seem to be dangerous either."]

"Keep an eye on it, Ciel."

["I will."]

*******************************************************************************************************************

Ignoring the curious issue about the dark shard within his {Imaginary Space}, Rimuru rubbed his head with both of his hands. Currently dealing with the aftermath of the whole Orc fiasco, Rimuru already felt done with everything.

The Kijin had sworn loyalty to him once again, immediately taking up their previous posts. Rimuru had also already formed the Jura Tempest Federation alongside Treyni and her sisters, with members consisting of the Lizardmen, led by Abil, the Orcs, now led by Geld, as well as the Goblins and the Kijin. He had also become the Chancellor of the Jura Tempest Federation once again, and with it came the bane of his existence. Paperwork.

At least there wasn't much paperwork at the moment, considering that they were still developing, and paper was a luxury to have, but Rimuru didn't really care about all that.

He had also named all the Orcs with proper names this time, with Ciel helping him with an artificial name generator for Orcs that she took out of his memories. He sort of felt bad for his laziness the last time around.

The Orcs had immediately adjusted to their new lives and had already started to train and develop their construction skills with the dwarves. In fact, the building that Rimuru was sitting in right now was built by them overnight! It had been turned into his office for the time being, until a better residence was completely built.

Lastly, Rimuru was currently preparing for King Gazel's arrival and his duel with said King, along with Vesta's overdue employment. He still wanted to make a good impression with Gazel, as he was a staunch ally throughout the past timeline. He also needed Vesta to slave - *ahem* - work away and develop the necessary technologies for the nation. Overall, everything was proceeding with little to no hiccups.

There was just small issue...excluding the whole shard nonsense of course. The issue being Gabiru.

Yes.

Gabiru.

He had somehow managed to offend Shion and Shuna, so much so that Shuna had force-fed Gabiru Shion's cooking for days now. Hell even Benimaru was beating him up during training sessions with Hakurou, and that was without any orders or prompts!

He had wanted to punish Gabiru for his idiotic thoughts and actions with Shizue, but not this extent nor so soon! What in the world happened?!

["It seems that he said something so irredeemable that Shuna of all people lost her temper. Not that I disagree with her, as Gabiru did receive the Extra Skill {Poison Resistance} through this endeavor. This will eventually help him when he is paired with Ultima in the future."]

"Can you tell me what he said to piss Shuna off to this extent?" asked Rimuru, wondering how could Shuna lose her temper so easily.

["No, Master. Just know that Gabiru deserves this."]

"I...I see."

["It also seems that Shizue has joined in, Master."]

"Are you serious?! How do you even piss her off?!?"

"L-Lord Rimuru!"

A voice interrupted his thoughts as a hobgoblin rushed into his office, panting and screaming. His eyes bulging in fear as he looked around, before finally relaxing after realizing that it was just him and his lord.

"Gobta? What do you need?"

"Well..." hesitated Gobta. "I have a question."

**************************************************************************************************************************

Benimaru was currently making his way to the temporary orc residences to ensure that everything was going according to his lord's wishes. Despite being former enemies, the orcs had been invited to become the foundation of the workforce within the Jura Tempest Federation. What was the saying his lord had used? That yesterday's enemies are today's friends? He was still wrapping his head around this idea.

He had already spoken to the new leader of the Orcs, named Geld in honor of his fallen father, and found that the orc was loyal to a fault and was willing to repay his father's actions with his life in return for his people's salvation. He had already told the orc that as long as he paid back his debt through his actions and servitude, he would be absolved of his father's crimes. Benimaru had decided to put his past grudges aside for the betterment of the whole, but that did not mean that he was completely content with the idea.

"Perhaps that is what Lord Rimuru wanted to address. No, perhaps he even foresaw the whole thing."

Remembering his conversation with his master right before the confrontation, he realised that his master was genuinely worried about the path he could take if he let vengeance dictate his decisions.

"Revenge can consume a person, and they can be blinded to other factors beyond their control."

Indeed, he had been blind to the orcs plight. Had he been put in a similar situation, Benimaru could not confidently say that he would not take the same actions. He had been blinded by his rage and anger, damning all the innocents as a result of the action of a few. All due to his desire for retribution.

"A cycle of revenge and death. Kill or be killed. Kill and be killed. The strong prey on the weak, and it's the fault of the weak for being so."

Retribution against who? The orcs? There was no use blaming the innocents when the perpetrator was dead. The majin or demon lord behind all these actions? Demon Lords always lord their power over others, and identifying the one responsible would not be easy. The world at large? Monster kind was used to accepting the idea that "Might is right", and that the victor took everything while the loser lost everything.

"...and I wish to change that."

And yet Rimuru Tempest, now Chancellor of the Jura Tempest Federation, wanted to throw everything on its head and create a nation where monster kind can flourish. Together. Tossing conceived notions to the winds in order to change the world in his image...and for the better.

"...that is the only way that this world will change. Through power, influence...and example."

Yes, in order to truly lead, one must have power, or else they will not be able to protect nor change anything. One must have influence, to ensure that change is enacted and preserved. One must also lead by example, as that is one of the best ways to earn trust and respect, demonstrating power while developing influence.

"Please think on that, Benimaru, as you fill the hole in your heart."

"I have, my lord. I finally see what you meant with those words."

He would lead by following these concepts. To gain the strength for those around him to admire. To hold influence with his fellow monsters through respect and trust, not simply fear of his power. Lastly, to be the best that he can possibly be. In order to see what Rimuru was trying to create. And to fill the current void in his heart.

He was sure that his longtime friends agreed with him. Souei, Shion, Kurobe, his teacher Hakurou and his sister Shuna. He was certain that all of them would willingly throw away their grudges if it meant seeing the vision that Rimuru would create.

After all, Ideals without Power is wishful thinking and nonsense, while Power without Ideals is useless. The wise words of his lord once again, or at least something that Benimaru believes that his master would say.

A scream off in the distance reminded him of Gabiru's plight. Never ever insult a women's chest or body, even if indirectly. Especially his sister.

"Seems like I will need to take a detour to punish Gabiru again. Though I'm probably saving him instead. And I'm getting the feeling that he won't learn his lesson either way. Why did he have to call them fat..."

**********************************************************************************************************************

"You see, Lord Rimuru?! What you were asking of us was totally un-reasonable!"

Back to Gobta and Rimuru, Gobta was complaining once more about what he viewed as completely and ludicrous workload. He first complained about how he had to fight against an Orc Champion during the Orc Disaster scenario, then also how he was expected to train with both the "old man" and the "black-haired witch" constantly.

"Didn't you want to get stronger, Gobta? You need to suffer in order to grow both in strength and as an individual." Answered Rimuru, shaking his head at what was probably the 20th or so time that Gobta had complained to him about training.

"I didn't know that they would try to kill me, Lord Rimuru! This is too much! You are expecting too much!!! I don't wanna deal with the old fart or the witch anymore!" yelled Gobta

"Old fart...to think that you have gotten this confident in yourself..." muttered someone from behind him. "Very well, I shall have you take responsibility for your words then."

"..." a raven-haired individual, on the other hand, simply let a small smile show on her face. One that seemed to freeze hell itself despite her moniker as the 'Conqueror of Flames'.

Gobta slowly turned around, shivering all the while. His face contorted in complete and utter fear. After making eye contact with both of his teachers, he quickly turned around and looked Rimuru in the eye, silently begging for forgiveness and salvation. Unfortunately for the hobgoblin, none came, and he was instead dragged out of the office struggling for his very existence.

A pause of silence. Before the sound of a pen being placed down on wood resounded throughout the room.

Rimuru, now by himself, sighed deeply. He felt frustrated, for a completely different reason now. As much as Gobta's words were simple complaints, Rimuru still felt hurt that he was expecting too much from them.

"Even though I know that Gobta is just trying to slack off... I can't help but think that he has a point."

He stood up, and walked around his office, before looking out the window.

"Am I expecting too much? Am I burdening them too much? I can't help but think that."

["Master, is there something wrong?"]

Although both Ciel and her Master shared the same body and mind, Rimuru had learnt long ago how to keep even her in the dark regarding his true thoughts. His initial reasoning on the matter was to hide the contents of his hard drive in his former life from his eternal partner, but it ended up being too late for that. Nevertheless, he had still learnt the technique, which was currently putting him in an awkward position.

"It's nothing, Ciel...There is no need for you to worry about it."

He didn't want to tell his subordinates the truth about his time travel experience. Initially, it was only due to his paranoia that his actions would result in a butterfly effect that would drastically affect the world at large. However, a new thought was slowly worming its way into his head. The thought that he should not burden his subordinates, because they would not be able to handle it.

It was a stupid thought, as the last time he had burdened them with ridiculous things, and they all accomplished their tasks effectively and successfully.

"But...my subordinates now are not the same as my subordinates from before..."

The logic behind his thoughts was flawed, and he knew this. Past or future, his subordinates were the same people at their core. Benimaru was still a Kijin that specialized in fire magic and leadership, while Souei still specialized in ninjustu and intelligence gathering.

But they were not the same people that suffered alongside him, nor were they the same subordinates that had died for him. Their memories. Their experiences. Fundamentally, they were not the same people.

Which could easily be rectified through granting their memories of the previous timeline. Those same people that followed him then would continue to follow him now. But that ran the risk of changing their decisions in certain situations. That also ran the risk of overcomplicating things and potentially making the final fight even harder.

And...there was something else that was bothering him. That preventing Rimuru from sharing his experiences with those loyal to him. To truly bring back his trusted friends and family.

"Do I deserve it?"

Veldora had been an exception, as both his sworn and actual brother, alongside being the individual that had named him the first time around. Their {Soul Corridor}, and the uncanny strength of it, would have made it nearly impossible to hide things from him anyways.

But as for all the other subordinates? What about them? Did he get to take away their second chance like that?

He knew that this line of thought was stupid. And yet he couldn't help but think of things this way.

Perhaps...he should focus more on what he can do rather that what his subordinates can do.

"Through power, influence and example huh."

A knock on the door interrupted his line of thought.

"Rimuru-san? Are you busy at the moment?" asked a voice.

Rimuru took a few moments to compose himself, before walking towards the door and opening it.

"No, I'm not. I was about to take a break. Do you want to walk with me for a bit, Shizu?"

Shizue nodded, before walking alongside him down the hallways and out the back door of the building. She wondered what was wrong, seeing Rimuru so out of it. Despite Rimuru's best efforts, a women's intuition often exceeds the best known capabilities of man.

"Is everything going well? How is Gobta's training going along?" Rimuru asked her, as they made their way outside.

Shizue pursed her lips. It was clear to her that Rimuru was trying to avoid a certain subject. However, it was true that she wanted to complain about Gotba despite already punishing him earlier with the paddle.

"He is doing well. Aside from his rebellious attitude and his lack of work ethic, he is a talented student." She started, before balling her hands into fists at a certain memory "However, even regular amounts of discipline could not exterminate his horrible desire to slack off whenever he pleases. He's even worse that Kenya and that is saying something!"

"Ah yes, you told me about him. The troublemaker, right?"

"Yes. The little gremlin. It was his idea to put a chalk eraser on the top of the doorframe as I entered. It nearly hit me!"

Rimuru laughed out loud. He had been told that Shizue had dodged it easily, but to think it caught her off guard!

"Don't laugh!"

"Sorry sorry... I just can't imagine... the Conqueror of Flames... death by chalk eraser... pfft!"

The black and white image of Shizue falling unconscious due to a chalk eraser had actually managed to make him forget about his thoughts just now.

Rimuru was then hit lightly on the back of the head with the sheath of her temporary sword, as her previous had broke in a spar with Benimaru. A dull thud rang out.

"Ow."

"Hmph."

Shizue turned around and pouted to the side.

"Sorry...again..."

"You mean it?" Shizue questioned, mock seriousness showing on her face.

Rimuru paused for a second. Looked her straight in the eye.

"No."

A beat of silence.

"Pfft!"

" *Snort* "

The two broke out in laughter.

"Classic Shizu...always manages to cheer me up. The same as Ciel really. Always managing to make me smile with their words. I really don't deserve them."

Laughing, the two arrived to the cliff where Rimuru had shown her images of modern Japan. Only this time, they were overlooking the growing town that Rimuru had created. And it was still getting larger.

"It looks amazing. To think you would be able to do this in such a short period of time." Shizue said, her hair blowing in the wind.

"I wouldn't have been able to do it without everyone contributing in their own way. I only pointed them in the right direction." Rimuru answered.

"You don't have to be so humble, Rimuru. You made this happen."

"I know Shizu...I know..."

He knew that he shouldn't be so humble. He knew that he should have pride in what he had and will accomplish in the future. But it was hard holding pride in something knowing that his actions would eventually cause its downfall.

["Master. You really should be prouder of your accomplishments...you can afford to be more arrogant...and happy."]

He knew that both of them were correct. But at the same time, he could not bring himself to follow their words.

Rimuru sat down, letting his legs dangle off the cliff, his eyes gazing at the town of Rimuru, current capital and only city in the Jura Tempest Federation. He noticed Shizue kneel behind him, while taking in the entire atmosphere.

Suddenly, Rimuru felt two soft hands grab each side of his head, before noticing that they had gently placed it down onto something soft. He looked to his right, and noticed black leggings. The infamous lap pillow.

["..."]

He felt as though someone was jealously staring at him from somewhere. He ignored the feeling for now. He instead focused on the face looking down on him from above. Her raven black pupils staring deep into his own golden irises again.

"You know...you can also talk to me if you need to, alright?" Shizue said softly, her hands running through Rimuru's platinum blue strands of hair.

Rimuru was quiet for a bit. He did not want to burden her too much, not now, and certainly not this level of burden. He wasn't even sure he should talk to her about any of it, for that matter.

But he did not regret saving her if it meant spending time with her like this.

He also really needed to spend some quality time with Ciel as well. He couldn't have come this far without her either.

["...!..."]

All in all, he really appreciated the offer.

"Thank you Shizu." He said, before closing his eyes. "I'll be fine...no need to worry."

Even if what he said was partially a lie, he would not dwell on it anymore. He relaxed instead, listening to the calm sound of grass flowing in the breezing wind.

And the smell of beautiful iris flowers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 341 9
⚠️PLEASE READ THE FINAL CHAPTER [ANNOUNCEMENT]⚠️ Rimuru and Veldora adopt a newborn slime and named it Adani Tempest. What kind of life will Adani Te...
20.7K 843 22
An Alternative Story of the normal story. Satoru Mikami had died at the age of 37 which had led to his perfect arrival on time to seize the world in...
248K 6.4K 39
Rimuru achieved everything which was possible but there is one regret he has in his mind even after the 12 years of the great war that he cant save h...
24.1K 538 11
With the events of the Hundred Year War over, peace reigned over the four nations, and the Avatar's Guardian is going to have a way more of a wild ri...