Solar Reign

Por WickedPromises

Andorra is Queen. Everything should be perfect, now that she has her own Royal Council, Prince Anders is dead... Mais

c o p y r i g h t
p r o l o g u e
I
I I
I I I
I V
V
V I
V I I
V I I I
V I V
X
X I
X I I
X I I I
X I V
X V
X V I I
X V I I I
X V I V
X X
X X I
X X I I
X X I I I
X X I V
X X V
X X V I
X X V I I
X X V I I I
X X V I V
X X X
X X X I
X X X I I
X X X I I I
X X X I V

X V I

326 30 25
Por WickedPromises

ANDORRA GREETED Ero in the Throne Room. Oberon had intercepted his arrival, had kept him waiting until Andorra had returned.

Callum stood behind Andorra as she sat on the throne. His posture was so stiff, Andorra thought that it had to hurt, to keep himself so rigid. On the other side of the throne was Oberon, more relaxed, but Andorra noted his face was carefully blank.

Andorra was the only one who smiled. "Ero. What would you like to discuss?"

"I have heard something rather interesting." Ero held his hands in his pockets, looking far more at ease than the other two men in the room. "There are whispers from my court that you defeated the Rabium Bellua. That you were the Rabium Bellua."

Andorra almost flinched at the words. It had been kept a secret from most, but it wasn't necessarily something she was guarding. Not anymore, not since she had defeated the Flayre. She carefully weighed her next answer.

"Telling him won't change anything," Pyatt reassured her. "He already knows. And you are already Queen."

"I know," Andorra answered. To Ero, she smiled. "It is true that I have mastered the Flayre, unlike my past self."

Something sharpened in Ero's expression. "So you admit it."

"Would you like to meet my Flayre?" Andorra widened her smile. Something flitted across her mind at the look in Ero's eyes. You need to put on a show. She couldn't be Andorra, normal human girl. She had to be Queen Andorra.

She stood from her throne. "I think you'll find, Ero, that the Flayre is sight a delightful creature when you're powerful enough to master it." "Pyatt, are you close to the castle?"

"Flying above."

"I think it's time to make a grand entrance."

"I think you'll find that many people do not wish to see the Rabium Bellua destroy the faerie race again." Ero eyed Callum and Oberon thoughtfully. He was scheming, Andorra could tell.

"Pyatt, through the sky light. Do you think you can?"

Andorra didn't look above, to the ceiling. Beautiful sky lights had been built in to give off natural lighting during the day, and it was almost too convenient. "Well, it's a good thing the Rabium Bellua no longer exists. You want proof of my control? Ero, meet my Rali."

"Pyatt, you're up. Make it dramatic, for good measure. This guy is for sure a prick."

"Dramatic it is."

Above them, the skylight shattered. Flames raced to the floor almost immediately, causing Ero to jump back to avoid being burned. A wall of fire separated Ero and Andorra, Pyatt swooping down amidst the flames. The shrill cry that Pyatt made had Ero flinching once again, taking another faltering step back.

By the time Pyatt had landed in front of Andorra, the flames winked out almost immediately. Nothing more than a parlor trick. Andorra stepped down from the dias, right to Pyatt. She let her hand trail down his feathered neck, a wolfish grin aimed at Ero.

"He is beautiful, isn't he?"

Andorra watched as Ero hid his expression. She watched his eyes take in the Flayre, watched as he mentally calculated what this meant. The Flayre, at her disposal. "How?" It was weary, but not angry. His gaze turned sharp as he looked up to Andorra. "It's impossible."

"I am Queen. Did you think I would be weak?" Andorra held her chin up. Despite it being an act, she found herself almost proud she could hold it together. Almost wished Nohx could be there to witness this.

"You were human."

"I was never human. Raised as one, sure. But that didn't erase my powers, or make me less than. It just gave me a setback that I've been fighting ever since."

"And as our Queen, she has the right to send you on your way. Which is what she should do." Callum's voice was a snarl. He took a step closer to Andorra. "I will gladly see you out."

Ero cut a look to Callum, and then to Oberon. It lingered slightly on the white haired fae, the less hostile option between the two guards. Andorra saw him step closer to Oberon as if to agree that his time in the throne room was in fact over.

"Wait," Andorra interrupted. Ero's eyes found her again, his motions halting. "We're not through." Andorra moved back to the throne, sitting down once again, motioning for Callum to back up. Teeth bared, he listened, but only barely.

"Why did you come here today?"

"I told you. I was here to see if the rumors were indeed true. There have been many rumblings about the Queen's inability to rule. And after hearing that you were the Rabium Bellua, they sent me to see."

"A spy, then." Andorra didn't say it in an accusing way. Just matter of fact. "Well, let me ask you about the upcoming war. I was honest with you, and I expect the same. Are you preparing for war for the death of Prince Anders?"

Something shuttered in Ero's gaze. "Not for the death of Prince Anders, no."

"For something else then?" Oberon observed.

Ero looked back at Oberon. A smile played on his lips. "I would be a horrible spy if I shared that intel with my enemies."

"You're a horrible spy for admitting you're a spy in the first place," Callum snorted.

Ero looked back to Andorra. "Prove to me that you are not a danger to the fae. That the Rabium Bellua is in fact defeated. And I return to my court with favorable things to say."

"Ready to continue the theatrics?"

"Always," Pyatt responded. He eyed Andorra as she grinned at Ero. "I am a danger to fae. A danger to any fae who tries to kill me." Andorra flicked her finger up, pointing at Pyatt and then to the ceiling. "Rise."

Pyatt stood. Ruffled his feathered wings. "Circle Ero."

Pyatt was a perfect actor as well, Andorra realized. What a great team they made when it came to pretending. Pyatt stepped around Ero, his claws clinking against the floor. Ero had the gall to not look too concerned, but Andorra could smell the fear in the air. Even if he looked calm, Ero was not.

By the time Pyatt had made his loop, he lunged for Ero's face, snapping his beak inches away from Ero's nose. He let out a chirping laugh as Ero stumbled back a step. By the time Pyatt returned to stand next to the throne, Andorra was smiling. It was a sweet, innocent smile. The smile of a naive, human girl.

"But you are welcome to stay, Ero. And see that what I want for Anlithamy is to see its people live and thrive. I am not a danger to my people. I am only a danger to those who wish to hurt my friends and family."

Ero bowed low at the waist. A true bow, not one made in mockery. When he straightened, his eyes went to Callum and Oberon, and then back to Andorra. "Then you should know my full name is Erowillric. Do with that what you will." He looked to Callum, and then as if realizing the snarling guard was not worth it, he looked to Oberon. "You may bring me to my new guest room."

Oberon looked to Andorra for confirmation. She gave him a nod, and watched as Oberon sauntered down the steps of the dias, and then to Ero's side. He led Ero from the throne room in silence.

When the heavy doors shut again, Andorra sighed against the throne. "What did he mean by do with that what you will? Should we recognize that name?"

"Who knows. I think he likes to hear himself talk." Callum snubbed. "I can't believe you're letting him stay here. He's dangerous!"

"Dangerous and in our territory. At least we have an eye on him. And we're not stupid. We know he's a spy."

Callum rubbed his neck. Continued to frown. "I'm not sure it's worth it. You should have let him go back and paint you in the scary dangerous light you presented. You almost seemed pretty lethal and ruthless there."

Andorra spun in the throne, grinning. Delight shone in her eyes. "Do you think? That's what I was going for!"

Callum rolled his eyes. "That trick with the Flayre worked."

"Pyatt loved it. But seriously, do you think Ero bought it?"

"He bought it. Nearly peed himself in fear." Pyatt's voice was gloating. A hint of pride stuck there.

"I think anyone who will try to stand against you will now think twice." Callum squinted up at the shattered skylight. "I think we should probably fix that sooner rather than later. Who knows what riff raff will come flying in from there."

"Callum," Andorra hesitated. "Seriously. Do you think this is a bad idea? I mean, beyond the fact that he's a spy. Do you think it's a mistake to keep him under our nose like this? Because I think if we can watch him, then we'll at least have some leverage."

Callum let out a long sigh. Rubbed the back of his neck. "I think you should assign a guard to him at all times. I think you shouldn't ever let him out of your sight."

"Well, it'll be you or Obe. Take your pick while he's not in here." A smile tugged at Andorra's lips in a joking manner. She knew Obe wouldn't care, not like Callum would.

"Obviously I will be guarding you. Keep me away from that winged freak." Callum shuddered. "Besides, Oberon will enjoy someone to banter with. Ero seems like the kind of man who loves to hear himself bicker back and forth."

Andorra looked back to Pyatt. Then to the ceiling. "You're right about that hole." Then, the Pyatt, she said, "Parole the borders. Make sure we're secure. We can't afford a second spy lurking around the castle."

Pyatt didn't have to be asked twice. He stretched his feathers and then shot up into the sky, narrowly avoiding the shards of glass. A loud cry rang through the air as he circled above. "Got it."

"Be careful with the acting." Callum placed his hand on Andorra's shoulder. "Don't forget who you really are, alright? That Andorra was badass, but she's not real."

His words were heavy, and Andorra wasn't sure she liked that tone on Callum. But she took it for what it was: a warning. That version of herself with Ero was great when needed, but it wasn't her, not at her core. "Yeah, it kinda felt like Aihfie was in there for a moment."

Callum shuddered, then let out a barking laugh. "Yeah, you kind of were. And it was disgusting."

The throne room door swept open to reveal Oberon. There was something in his expression that seemed a little bit off. Andorra took a step towards him, the question on her tongue, but then he moved to reveal Nohx.

Andorra couldn't stop the smile from curling on her face. And there was no need to, not when it was just Oberon and Callum in the room. "Hey! I thought you weren't going to be here until tomorrow for the meeting."

Nohx's face was cold. He kept his mask in place, not wavering for a single moment as he strode to Andorra. "You're housing a spy?" There was a definite chill in his voice.

Andorra rolled her eyes. "Okay, Callum Jr."

The joke had Nohx flinching. His dark eyes met Callum's behind her, a sneer rising in his expression at the comparison. "Excuse me?"

Andorra closed the gap between them. Old Andorra would have hesitated, but there wasn't a single moment to second guess her actions as Andorra wrapped her arms around his waist, squeezing him tightly. Her chest ached for a single moment in the feeling of homesickness. Something tightened in her throat at the feel of his body against hers. "Hi."

Shocked at Andorra's sudden display of affection, Nohx stared down at her, his arms hovering around her shoulders without touching her. "Andorra-"

She didn't let go. She tilted her head so she could blink up at him. She felt her confidence waver for a moment when he didn't hug her back. She tried to read his face, searching for what was a mask and what wasn't.

Nohx must have read something on her face because when Andorra went to pull away, he barked out, "Both of you leave."

Whether Nohx meant to or not, Andorra could feel the power in his tone of voice that had her own knees buckling as Callum and Oberon left. Andorra wasn't entirely sure it was of their own volition.

As soon as the door to the throne room slammed shut, Nohx's hands were on Andorra's cheeks, tilting her face up. "Hey, I'm sorry." Guilt leaked into Nohx's face, his eyes softening to blue as he leaned into her space.

"For what? You're allowed to question my motives. In fact, please question them. I want the feedback from you."

Nohx trailed his nose down her temple to her cheek, then continued on down her neck. He nuzzled the underside of her ear, his hands moving to wrap around her waist. It made Andorra's heart begin to race in her chest as he gathered her closer.

"No, I'm sorry I didn't hug you back. I just... I'm trying. It's not that I want to hide this from them, or from anyone, but it's a hard habit to kick. Because my father..." Nohx trailed off, swallowing hard. "Showing my feelings like that..." the words seemed to get stuck in his throat, his voice watery.

"Hey, hey," Andorra ran her hands up his back. "It's okay, Noah. Seriously. I know what you went through and I won't push you or this. I just figured that Callum and Oberon are trustworthy, and they already know how much I love you, and I wasn't thinking-"

Nohx pulled away from her sharply. "You shouldn't have to think. I want you to hug me whenever you want. I want you to touch me whenever you want. And I'm sorry my reaction makes you second guess this. You don't need to second guess being affectionate with me."

Andorra smiled at his expression. So stricken at the thought that Andorra would be forced to second guess him. She placed her hand on his cheek, and watched as he closed his eyes and leaned into her hand. Completely and utterly submissive to her touch.

She let out a soft laugh. Nothing more than a giggle that had Nohx opening his eyes, much lighter than before. His mouth twisted to the side as he watched her. "What?"

"I just... remember in the human realm when you found me in the library? And you were trying to convince me to get into your car so you could drive me home?"

Nohx nuzzled a little deeper into her hand, his lids lowering. His own smile matched her own as he remembered that moment in time. "That's one of my favorite memories. It was the first time you saw me. I had a really hard time keeping my hands to myself after that, after seeing your expression. I wanted to kiss you."

Andorra's cheeks burned at the realization of what he'd been thinking. "Well, the way you just closed your eyes reminded me of what I had looked like. It was like being put under a spell. I remember feeling so warm and safe and I couldn't understand why."

It was there, on the tip of Nohx's tongue. Because you're my soulmate. He wanted to tell her so badly. He wanted to soak in her reaction, wanted her to hear the words, wanted to be selfish and keep the moment to himself. But not here, not in this Throne Room. Not where anyone could be listening.

He swallowed the words. Swallowed the admission. "I love you," he said instead. "I loved you then, in that library, and I love you now, so much more."

"Enough to not be mad that I invited a spy to live in the castle?"

He leaned down, a breath away from her lips. "Enough to trust that Callum and Oberon are tracking his every move." And then he kissed her, soft and slow, like he had wanted to do in that library. Like he had wanted to do every day they were trapped in that dingy high school. And this time, no one was there to stop them, or get in their way. 

* * *

*cue everyone running to reread that chapter in frostbitten past HAHA*

Hope you enjoyed a little Noah and Andy fluff :)

also ero... uh oh. big time spy boy is on the case :o

i love u all and i miss u all!!!! i promise more chapters are coming sooooon

xoxo

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

37.3K 2.7K 36
A stolen grimoire. A court of lies and secrets. A dangerous game of betrayal. Seventeen-year-old Morgana lives in Golah Court, one of the two fae c...
74.2K 4.6K 41
The world is ruled by a tyrant King. The Old King was killed and with him the magic that coursed through the world was sealed away. Dawn Rentradie...
1.6M 99.5K 193
[wattys 2018 shortlisted] Humans see her as a dangerous threat -a witch that must be executed. With the uncontrollable ability to form ice at her fin...
62.1K 4.9K 68
|Book 3| Andorra is no closer to taking the throne than when she first entered Anlithamy. Her worst nightmare has come true, and her enemies are clos...