Yearning | Hogwarts Legacy

By smile_arigatou

Hogwarts 1891. Sabrina Pryor-Lewis, the resilient daughter. Ominis Gaunt, the earnest heir. Sebastian Sallow... More

Author's Note
Chapter One : Welcome Home
Chapter Two : First Day of Class
Chapter Three : Potions Class
Chapter Four : Quidditch Tryouts
Chapter Five : Electives
Chapter Six : Missing
Chapter Seven : Ache
Chapter Eight : Siblings
Chapter Nine : Living In A Mad World
Chapter Ten : The Gaunt Family
Chapter Eleven : Broken Promises
Chapter Twelve : Helping
Chapter Thirteen : The Auror
Chapter Fourteen : Wise Men Say
Chapter Fifteen : Only Fools Rush In
Chapter Sixteen : Away From Prying Eyes
Chapter Seventeen : Small Victories
Chapter Eighteen : Slytherin vs Gryffindor
Chapter Nineteen : Truths
Chapter Twenty : Dark Magic
Chapter Twenty-One : The Dragons and The Unicorns
Chapter Twenty-Two: Sebastian Thomas
Chapter Twenty-Three : Fistful of Roses
Chapter Twenty-Four : Burning Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Five : Change In The Winds
Chapter Twenty-Six : Losing Game
Chapter Twenty-Seven : Rookwood
Chapter Twenty-Eight : Yearning
Chapter Twenty-Nine : I Want You...
Chapter Thirty-One : The Den of Serpents
Chapter Thirty-Two: Cross My Heart
Chapter Thirty-Three : Hope To Die
Chapter Thirty-Four : Strength
Chapter Thirty-Five: Falbarton Castle
Chapter Thirty-Six: Storm of Ice and Truth
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Let It Hurt
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Auld Lang Syne
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Play With Fire
Chapter Forty: Ominis Lucian
Chapter Forty-One: Observation
Chapter Forty-Two: Hate
Chapter Forty-Three: Bananas
Chapter Forty-Four: I Wanna Be Yours
Chapter Forty-Five : Raising Hell
Authors Note
Chapter Forty-Six: Snakes and Eagles
Chapter Forty-Seven: Changes
Epilogue
Author's Final Thoughts
Up Next....
It's Only The Beginning....
*Extra* Yearning Bloopers

Chapter Thirty : Reunion

412 15 72
By smile_arigatou

Aurelia felt Anne slip into her bed before she even opened her eyes the next morning.

"You know, that doorknob needs to come up with harder riddles," Anne whispered to her as she pulled the blankets on top of them. A moment later, Anne's arms were wrapped around Aurelia's small waist as she nuzzled. "Anyone smart enough could just come waltzing right inside and steal you from me."

Aurelia giggled before she also buried her face in the crook of Anne's neck. "I wish I didn't have to go."

Anne pulled her closer. "I thought your family was coming to visit?"

"They are. My Mexican relatives have not made the trip to Belfast since my parents got married, and according to Mama it wasn't exactly a calm get together."

Aurelia felt Anne smile against her, but for a moment she didn't say anything. "Don't take them for granted," she said finally. "You're very fortunate to have such a large family."

Being with Anne had made Aurelia understand just how lucky she actually was. As much as she complained about her family, Anne had expressed many times to be thankful she had a family to complain about. Aurelia sighed before whispering again. "I wish you could come with me."

"Does your family know about us?"

"No. But that's what would make it fun."

Anne chuckled. "I miss you already."

Aurelia leaned over and gave her girlfriend a lazy kiss. Anne's lips were so sweet and cold against her own. "I'll write to you every day," she promised. "And you'll have to tell me how your visit with Sabrina's parents goes. I'm sure she's very nervous."

"I'm not sure how the poor girl is standing, to be honest." Anne sighed. Her hands had begun to move up and down Aurelia's spine in a soothing manner. "Between her mother getting out of jail at the Ministry and everything going on with Ominis, I don't know if I could take it."

"Do you think she and Ominis will make up?"

Anne frowned. "I really hope so. For both of their sakes."

"Hmm... Sebastian."

"Not now, Poppy," Sebastian moaned sleepily against her neck. "I'm taking in how sweet you are."

Poppy giggled before she began to stretch and wake up. "Sebastian, if the other Slytherins see me in here–"

Sighing, Sebastian sat up and gazed down at the girl sharing his bed. She was sprawled into his mattress with her brown hair fanned around her and her brown eyes barely open and studying him. She was in her school uniform still, but Sebastian had already begun making plans on how he was going to take it off her. "The only other Slytherin in this dorm room would be Ominis," he explained to her. "And since he's not back yet, I'm assuming he's either jumped off a cliff or he's spending time with Sabrina."

Poppy grinned and leaned up to kiss him. "I'm just not looking forward to missing you for the next two weeks."

Sebastian lay back down next to Poppy and grabbed her waist to pull her back against his chest. He loved holding Poppy, but spooning her like this was his favorite. "I'll miss you too," he said honestly. "You've become an important person to me in such a short time."

They had been dating for about a month, and truthfully the relationship had not gone beyond kisses and exploratory touches when they could. Sebastian had felt like his heart had grown two sizes since he got with Poppy. She was kind and sweet and spunky, and she always had a knack of making him smile. She was a breath of fresh air when his mind became cloudy, and finally he understood everything Ominis ever described to him.

Sebastian hadn't realized how tense he had been until after he had kissed Poppy that first night.

"I should get going before–"

His arms held her tighter against him. "Like hell you are, Sweets. I'm not done with you yet."

"But the carriages–"

"They leave at noon. I still have four hours with you."

Poppy giggled again. "And what do you intend to do?"

Sebastian hummed in thought before he leaned back down and kissed the crook of her neck. "I can think of a few things."

Ominis' arms were still wrapped around Sabrina's waist when she felt herself start to wake up. When he felt her begin to stir, Ominis' face was instantly in her neck and inhaling her scent as he pulled her closer still in his grasp.

They had made love a total of three times during the night. Whenever they had woken up, Ominis was so determined to take in and enjoy every moment with her. Sabrina had been more than happy to oblige, also not wanting to waste any time she had with him.

"What time is it?" Sabrina asked groggily.

"Hopefully late enough that I missed the train," Ominis replied in between kisses.

Sabrina moaned slightly before she found a clock nearby. Her heart sank. "No... we have about three hours before then."

She felt Ominis' arms tense around her as a rock began to form in her stomach. "I don't think I'll be able to write to you while I'm gone," he said. "But I'll be thinking of you every day."

Sabrina rolled over so she was now facing Ominis. She brought one of her hands to his cheek, allowing her fingers to carefully connect the dots on his small dark moles. "I'll be thinking of you too."

Ominis turned his face to gently kiss her palm.

"If you need to run, come to me in Upper Hogsfield."

"I will."

They lay in silence for a moment and just enjoyed taking in the feeling of each other.

"What did you mean?"

Sabrina looked up and met his blind gaze. He seemed to be staring right at her. "What?"

"'Until the stars turn cold'," he repeated. "I've never heard that phrase before."

She smiled. "It was my father's way of telling my mother he would love her forever."

She felt Ominis' heart beat hard when he heard her answer, and then he was leaning down to kiss her lips tenderly. "I'll love you until the stars turn cold."

By the time Ominis made it back to the Slytherin common room, Poppy was gone. Sebastian was already packed and ready to go for the holiday in Upper Hogsfield, so he was able to help reassure Ominis again as he packed his clothes.

"Just keep calm," Sebastian assured him. He saw Ominis take a nervous deep breath. "How is Sabrina doing?"

"Better," Ominis responded. He put another shirt in his trunk and then paused. After a moment, he spoke again. "I've been incredibly unfair to her."

Sebastian scoffed. "I could have told you that."

Ominis turned to him. "I haven't been trusting her. Not completely, at least. I've been so preoccupied with protecting her that I've been disregarding her thoughts and ideas altogether." He took another deep breath. "If I'm going to win, I have to stop treating her like she's too weak to fight back."

He couldn't see it, but he could hear the smile in Sebastian's tone. "It's about time you came to your senses."

Before Ominis left for the train station, he stopped by the Undercroft to see Sabrina one more time. He held out his hands. "This is for you."

Sabrina reached out and took the small green box from him. When she opened it, she gasped. "Ominis... it's beautiful."

"It belonged to my Aunt Noctua," Ominis explained. "Apparently, Corvina has been hanging onto it for when she got older, but she felt like it suited you better."

Carefully, Sabrina lifted the pearl choker out of the box and examined the emerald pendant in the center. She was speechless. "I... I don't know what to say."

Ominis smiled before taking the necklace from her. "Turn around."

She did as she was told and lifted her hair up. Ominis brought the necklace over her head, laying it across her neck as he fastened the clasp. "Did I ever tell you where I got that sweater?"

"The green one you gave me?"

"Yes, the same old one you seem to insist on wearing all the time. I gave you a new one on purpose."

"I know, but that one is my favorite. It reminds me of you."

"Well, that also came from Aunt Noctua. She gave it to me years ago when I once complained to her that I was cold at Hogwarts."

Sabrina turned to look at him. "Why would you give it to me if your favorite aunt gave it to you as a gift?"

Ominis answered as if it was the simplest thing in the world. "Because you needed clothes." When he was done fastening, he brought his lips back to her neck and lay a gentle kiss on her. "I miss you already."

Sabrina turned around and instantly wrapped her arms around him again. He held her close to his chest. "It's just two weeks," she said.

She felt him kiss the top of her head. "Two weeks."

After a moment, Sabrina released himself from him. "I have something for you too." She went over to the desk before coming back and putting a leather bound book in his hands. "It's disguised to look like the book 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard," she explained. "But if you open it, you'll find it's actually a Muggle play called 'Romeo and Juliet' by an old playwright named William Shakespeare."

"You love giving me books," Ominis joked. He let his fingers grace over the cover of the book, enjoying the raised swirled design under his touch. "Thank you, my dear."

Sabrina gently put her hands on top of his. "You promise you'll come back?"

Ominis carefully put his hand on her cheek and drew her in for a gentle kiss. "I promise."

Sabrina had not been able to take the Hogwarts Express when she first arrived at Hogwarts, and she had found that neither of the twins had taken the train either. This meant that all three of them were in for a treat when they boarded the train bound for London at noon.

The plan was for all of them to meet Theo at Kings Cross Station, and from there they would head over to the Ministry of Magic office. Minerva was being released at exactly five o'clock that evening, and 'not a minute before' as they had been told in their letter.

Sabrina shared a compartment with Sebastian and Anne, and all three of them eagerly stared out the train windows to get a glance of the Hogwarts castle and the Highlands covered in snow as they prepared for the long journey. The view was breathtaking, and the only way Sabrina could truly describe it was magical.

They had decided that they would not share a compartment with Ominis and Corvina in case any of the other Gaunts came to ride with them. It was a painful decision on everyone's part, but once they arrived in London and saw one of the Gaunt butlers waiting on Platform 9 3/4 for the children, they saw it was a wise one in the end.

Theo greeted them warmly, and instantly he noticed Sabrina's trepidation as they walked out into the gray London sun. "Is everything alright?" he asked her.

"I haven't been to London since I left for Hogwarts," she explained. She looked around at the city, feeling a rough sense of familiarity begin to overwhelm her. "It's strange... I never wanted to come back here again."

Anne instantly reached out and grabbed Sabrina's hand, squeezing encouragingly.

The small group walked briskly along the stone, cobbled streets. Horses and carriages rushed past them, and plenty of other people gave them no mind as they all rushed to finish their Christmas shopping and get out of the cold. Eventually, Theo stopped at a pub a ways away from the Kings Cross and led the kids inside. Ignoring the bartender, they all went to the back room and locked the door.

"This is how we get in," Theo explained. We walked up to a small unlit fireplace and handed a pot hanging next to it to the teenagers. "I know you know how to use Floo Powder. When you get in the fireplace, just simply call out 'London Ministry of Magic' and you'll end up at a fireplace there."

Sabrina watched as her father confidently took a handful of green powder, stepped inside the fireplace, and yelled his destination before he disappeared into the flames.

When he was gone, Sabrina stared at Sebastian and Anne with a similar look of nervousness on their faces. "He's your dad," Sebastian said finally.

Sabrina frowned, but took a handful of powder and stepped in the fireplace. She took a deep breath. "London Ministry of Magic!" She threw down her powder, and then she was spinning and rushing until she landed on her feet inside another fireplace.

She stepped out and met Theo. Then her eyes wandered around her as she took in the large entrance hall. The walls were lined with dark wood panels and fireplaces all along the long corridor, and the dark blue ceiling showcased beautiful gold symbols that seemed to change and move with every minute that passed. The hall itself wasn't nearly as busy as Sabrina thought it would be, but there were still quite a few people rushing around when Anne and Sebastian eventually joined them.

It didn't actually hit Sabrina that she was going to meet Minerva until they came to this point. As they walked towards the front desk to check in, Sabrina felt like her feet had become as heavy as lead.

How would Minerva react to seeing her and Theo? Would she be excited? Would she be angry? As far as Sabrina knew, the last thing Minerva knew about Theo was that he had died, so what would she do when she found out her husband was alive after all?

And what about Sabrina? Would Minerva recognize her daughter? Would Sabrina recognize her mother? What if Minerva rejected her? What if she knew that Sabrina was a Slytherin, very unlike her parents, and rejected her for not being a Ravenclaw or Gryffindor? What if she blamed Sabrina for the death of Eleazar and Miriam? Worse yet... what if Minerva was on Rookwood's side and she now wanted nothing to do with her daughter?

"Sabrina, did you hear me?"

She had been so lost in her thoughts, Sabrina didn't realize that Theo was talking to her.

He gave her an understanding smile. "We have to go wait over here until the Aurors come out to get us."

Sabrina nodded quickly.

The secretary stood up and addressed them. "Right now, they're only letting immediate family in the waiting room."

Sebastian opened his mouth to protest, but Anne stopped him. "We understand. We'll stay here."

Sabrina looked back at her friends, and they instantly saw how nervous and scared she was. "Hey," Sebastian said softly, approaching her. "It's going to be okay."

Instantly, Sabrina felt herself begin to panic. "What if she–"

"Everything will be fine," Anne cut her off. "Take a deep breath."

Sabrina did as she was told. But it still didn't help her.

Anne looked behind Sabrina and frowned. "Your father is also nervous. I bet he could use the support too."

She was right. When Sabrina turned around, she saw Theo watching them as his fingers nervously fidgeted with his hat. His eyes met hers, and he tried to smile but it came out only half-hearted.

Sebastian nudged Sabrina gently. "Go."

Sabrina took another deep breath before she walked back with Theo. Together, they were led to a plain waiting room with a simple table and some chairs. The fireplace roared comfortingly, but it did little to help the pair when they were left alone.

For a while, they sat in silence. Sabrina had no idea what to say to Theo, but she imagined he was probably just as scared as she was feeling. When she looked over at him, his gaze was unblinking at the wall and he looked pale, almost sickly.

"I'm sure she'll recognize you," Sabrina said, trying to reassure him.

Theo swallowed. "I'm sure she will," he whispered. "I'm more worried if seeing her will awaken some of my old memories."

"Would it be bad if it did?"

"I guess it depends on the memory."

Sabrina looked back down at her hands in her lap. She had decided to wear the green dress she wore at the Sallows' birthday party and her green sweater in a small attempt to have Ominis with her, but she was wishing that she could hold his hands instead.

Theo cleared his throat. "What are you most nervous about?"

The thought was almost too scary to say out loud. "I'm afraid she'll reject me."

Sabrina felt Theo's eyes land on her finally. He didn't speak, but instead was waiting for her to continue.

"Growing up at an orphanage... You grow up with the horrible thought and fact that your parents did not want you anymore. Because why else would you be there?" Sabrina looked back up at Theo, and suddenly her tears began to fall. "It's hard to describe, but... I know she gave me up to protect me, but what if there was more to it? What if she didn't really want me? What if me being here will upset her?"

"Sabrina, listen to me." It was the first true time Theo had sounded like a father. "You were and are the light of Minerva's life. She would have given up anything to protect you. She gave up everything for you. There is no possible way that she would turn her back on you."

The teenager really tried to believe that.

Suddenly, the door to the room opened. Sabrina and Theo were on their feet in an instant, both of their eyes locked on the door as two male Aurors walked in with a dark haired woman in between them.

Sabrina felt like she couldn't breathe.

Minerva's bright green eyes were locked on Theo as the Aurors undid her magic binding shackles. She looked like she was in complete disbelief, like this was just as shocking for her as it was for them.

"Minerva Alexandria Lewis," the older Auror announced formally. "You are hereby officially released from the custody of the Ministry of Magic. Your husband has come to take you home."

The woman didn't seem to register his words at all. She was still staring at Theo as he walked around the table to greet her. His eyes had also not left hers since the moment she walked in.

Finally, Minerva began walking forward. She approached Theo, who stood still as he allowed her to walk up to them.

Minerva had tears in her eyes. "Theodore?"

Theo gave a small smile. "Hello, Minnie."

Minerva had stopped walking and was fighting the urge to cry. "You left."

Theo swallowed. "So did you."

A few beats passed between them. Then finally, the two people rushed forward and embraced each other, their grips tight as their tears began to fall.

Sabrina stood by watching the scene. It hurt her chest to see how easily they welcomed each other. She could clearly see how much they still loved each other.

Ominis' voice rang in her ears. "I'm never letting you go again."

After a minute, Sabrina looked up and suddenly saw Minerva's eyes now focused on her. Theo released her from his grip, and slowly and cautiously Minerva began to approach Sabrina.

The girl felt like she couldn't breathe. She was so afraid of what was next that she just froze and watched her mother walk forward.

Sabrina had dreamed of this exact moment since she was four years old. She had always prayed and hoped that her mother would come home to her, but now that the moment was upon her Sabrina had no idea how to respond.

Minerva's green eyes danced over Sabrina's face as if trying to memorize every detail. Then, slowly and cautiously, she lifted a hand and reached it out to Sabrina's cheek to wipe away a tear.

And then Sabrina found herself as that same four year old girl staring out the window of St. Joseph's, praying with all of her might for the moment her mother came home.

"Oh, my sweet girl," Minerva sobbed. "My sweet Sabrina, just look at you."

Sabrina barely found her voice. "Hello, Mummy."

Those two words broke them. Instantly, Minerva's arms were thrown around her daughter, and Sabrina gripped onto her with all her might determined to never let her go.

The cold, thin air of Upper Hogsfield was a refreshing and welcoming change when they made it back from London. Thankfully, Theo had gone through the trouble to transfigure a few extra bedrooms in their small house so that there was now plenty of room for everyone to stay.

Sabrina had once thought that the house outside of the hamlet had been a quiet and peaceful place to live, but now that she was here with laughter and joy filling its walls again, she realized that this was how the house was supposed to be.

After dinner, Minerva had asked to take a walk with Sabrina. Theo occupied himself with entertaining Anne and Sebastian, something that Sabrina felt they probably appreciated, which gave her and Minerva plenty of space.

It was strange, Sabrina thought. She had long given up on meeting her mother, but now that it was a reality she almost didn't know how to behave or what to do.

"I'm glad you were able to make the trip with your father to meet me in London," Minerva told her. She stuck close to Sabrina's side, which was something the teenager welcomed.

"Of course I came," Sabrina responded. "Once I learned you were alive... I don't know if you know this, but I wrote to you every week."

Minerva smiled. "I received your letters. They gave me something to look forward to." Sabrina watched as her mother's face fell slowly. "I was... surprised... that you do not seem angry with me."

"Angry?"

"Angry that I left you. Angry that I took off and never came back for you. Angry that you had to put up with almost six years at Hogwarts with no knowledge of your family. You have every right to cast me aside, Sabrina, and yet you... you've welcomed me."

Sabrina had thought of this herself. Plenty of people had told her she should be upset, but she could never bring herself to be angry at Minerva. "I understood why you left me behind," she explained. "And I'm more angry at Rookwood than I think I could ever be at you. Especially now that I've read your letters and I've seen your memories, I don't think I would have made a different choice if I had been you."

She saw tears come back to Minerva's eyes. "You are already a much better person than I could ever hope to be."

"That's not true," Sabrina chuckled.

"But it is," Minerva insisted. "You are strong, determined, resilient, forgiving.... In your position, I'm not sure I could do it."

"You could if you loved them."

The statement left Sabrina before she thought it through, but regardless it brought a smile back to Minerva. "I suppose you're right."

Sabrina smiled back and found herself moving closer to her mother.

Her mother.

"So... Sabrina, tell me about this boy."

Sabrina felt her face warm. "Boy?"

"Yes, this Gaunt boy who seems to have taken a shine to you."

Sabrina stared at Minerva. She had yet to bring up anything about Ominis. They had been so preoccupied with the trip and catching up that she hadn't had a chance.

"I recognize the necklace," Minerva explained when she saw the girls' shocked face. "It belonged to Noctua, who was a dear friend of mine. She must really like you. She was very protective over her jewelry."

Sabrina felt her stomach drop slightly. "I've... I've never met her. She died a few years ago."

Minerva's eyes met her daughters in shock and pain. "She.... How?"

"She was looking for Salazar Slytherin's Scriptorium at Hogwarts and she never made it out."

Many emotions passed by Minerva's eyes. Pain, grief, but also... relief? "Atticus didn't kill her, then."

"Atticus?"

"Her brother. The head of the Gaunt family. The Devil reincarnate."

"Oh... I've never met him, but I've heard horrible things."

Minerva shivered, but not from the cold Scottish air. "He made Noctua do horrible things."

"I'm sure. I know Noctua tried to get away from him, which is why she went looking for the scriptorium," Sabrina explained. "She was trying to find that there was more to Slytherin than just pureblood superiority."

At this information, MInerva sighed. "Of course she died trying to still prove that. Oliver always said that was going to get her killed." Suddenly, Minerva stopped and she gripped Sabrina's arm. "And you're romantically involved with them? Sabrina, please tell me you're being cautious."

Sabrina put her hand over Minerva's. "We are. Ominis is actually trying to get disowned from them. They torture him and cause him so much pain because of his blindness. He's determined to find a way out."

"Ominis? Oh, my goodness, I remember Noctua writing to me about him."

"He adored his aunt. He always said she was the only one who treated him with respect and love in the house."

Now, Minerva looked confused. "Aunt?"

"Well, I'm assuming Noctua and Atticus were siblings, right?"

Sabrina watched as suddenly as Minerva's face paled. "Oh... he never told them. But of course he wouldn't–"

A rock formed in Sabrina's stomach at this statement. "Told them what?"

Minerva stopped her rambling. "We're going inside. The trees have ears."

-----

A/N: I AM SO EXCITED FOR NEXT CHAPTER!! Comments are love! Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412K 19.7K 81
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
595K 12.7K 43
i should've known that i'm not a princess, this ain't a fairytale mattheo riddle x fem oc social media x real life lowercase intended started: 08.27...
438K 11.4K 62
❝spencer, all this week you've been holding my hands. what about your germ thing?❞ ❝you were more important.❞ hazel finley is a liar. but she's a da...
279K 8.3K 93
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...