White Heather for Protection

By KuroYuuki812

When James and Lily Potter are murdered, Heather Potter vows to protect her younger brother in their place. S... More

Prologue: Destiny Turns
A Day in the Life
Remembrance
The Letter
Minerva McGonagall
The Return
Shopping Spree
Mr Tall, Dark and Surly
Choosing and Being Chosen
Interlude: Professors' Meeting
The Waiting Game
Of Schooling and Gemini
A House, a Home, a Heart?
The Freedom to Be
The School Bell Rings
Stirring Emotions
Give and Take
Interlude: Through Onyx Eyes
Snakes and Lions
Time Flies. So Does a Broom
Meet the Family
A Crazy Party
So It Begins
Greasy Git
The Danger Begins
Trouble in the Skies
Seeking Happiness
Obsession and Paranoia
Family
Moving On
Hunkering with House Elves
Fantastic Feats
Slithering Serpents
Teenage Woes
Interlude: Third One's the Charm
Another Interlude: Day of Love. Or Not.
Down the Rabbit Hole
The Chamber of Secrets
Ditching the Shackles
New Beginnings
Truths Unveiled
Of Spoilt Brats and Dungeon Bats
Confessions
A Grim Series of Events
Proof
'Tis the Season
Felons and Convicts
The Wolf and the Hound...and the Hippogriff?
Student's Bane
Resurgence
Haunting Memories
Mind Over Matter
A Most Demanding Cup
Difficult Relationships
A Mile a Minute
All's Fair
A Night to Remember
Reality Check
What You'll Sorely Miss
Sneaks and Intruders
Falling Out
Interlude: First Kisses
Out of the Woodwork
Crouching Fox, Hidden Serpent
Blood of the Enemy
Mystery Solved
Plots and Plans
Just Des(s)erts
The Greatest Power
Weasleys' Whereabouts
The Old Crowd
All that Glitters
Power of Seven
The Pink Toad
Duelling Tactics
Dragons and Snakes
Matters of the Mind
Umbrage
Worn Out
Apologies and Punishment
The Boiling Toad
Sweet Revenge
Bloody Catastrophe
Teacup Tempest
The Prophecy
As One Door Closes
Another One Opens
Heart-Stopping Revelations
Amortentia Lessons
Secrets Kept
Mistletoe
Between the Shadow and the Soul
Rending the Soul
Quiet Moments
The Fall
Getting Things in Order
The Hunt
Wedding Bells and Vicious Spells
Back in Business
Devotion
Enemies Within Walls
Win Some, Lose Some
Another One Bites the Dust
Beginning of the End
By Any Other Name
The Siege
Afterwards
Look Forward
Epilogue

Of Dragons and Derring-Do

1.3K 49 3
By KuroYuuki812

The Great Hall was abuzz with excitement. Everyone was discussing the latest news about the break-in at Gringotts. Heather paid no heed to the flashing headline on the newspaper and dug into her pancakes with vigour. She would write to Griphook later - the Daily Prophet wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

She pushed away from the table and went to collect George and Fred for their first class, DADA. She really hadn't thought it was possible for that class to get worse after last year's fiasco of a teacher, but Professor Quirrell really took the cake. It was really peculiar how their defence teachers kept changing every year. Professor Wilson had disappeared while visiting the selkies of the Faroe Islands. Professor Harlowe had perished in a tragic flying accident. And who knew what would happen to Professor Quirrell. Personally, she was betting on a gnome skirmish.

Really, what had Professor Dumbledore been thinking when he hired that stuttering mess? Professor Quirrell looked like a pixie could scare him into apoplexy. Doxies had succeeded the other day in class.

On the other hand, he sometimes had malevolent looks when he didn't think anyone was paying attention. At those times, he could strike fear in her heart in ways Professor Snape's glares and threats didn't. It didn't make sense.

Shuddering, Heather banished her wayward thoughts and focussed on the paragraph on defensive strategies and spells against Lethifolds, tuning out Professor Quirrell's choppy introduction on boggarts.

After the dismal DADA lesson in which the Professor had shrieked like a bean sidhe upon encountering his boggart, Heather walked to the hospital wing for her annual check-up. She had been surprised to find out that her Head of House was the only one to schedule mandatory appointments for his students.

Because of that first check-up in first year, Heather now visited Madam Pomfrey at least once a month. Initially, it was because she needed her weight monitored. Now, she went to see the matron to just chat or learn some healing spells.

It had been insightful for Heather to learn how spells differed from her own wandless healing. The spells held much more finesse, utilising a minimal amount of magic and intense precision to heal the injured cells. Her own wandless magic simply involved flooding the wounded area with dense healing magic. While useful when she had an abundance of magic and no knowledge of the required spell, learning Medimagic was much more practical.

She had also had a mortifying talk with the matron about puberty and relationships. Petunia had obviously never felt the need to inform her of any of that. Heather was grateful that Madam Pomfrey had been shrewd enough to discern her ignorance in such matters. She wasn't looking forward to having the same talk with Hadrian. She smiled wryly at the thought and opened the infirmary door.

"Madam Pomfrey, I'm here!"

"You again, child? I should make you start assisting around here, you know enough of the basics," the school matron said as she huffed fondly.

Heather formed an indignant frown. "Hey, I actually have an appointment today, ma'am."

The kindly woman chuckled and pointed to a bed. "Yes, I'm aware. Why don't we get star-"

"Poppy!" someone shouted as the door banged open. "We have a flying injury. Might be a broken bone." Madam Hooch strode in, a distraught Neville Longbottom following behind.

"Oh my, just a moment please, Heather." Madam Pomfrey switched her attention to the injured first year.

Heather smiled reassuringly at the anxious boy, receiving a grimace in return. "Hey there, Neville. First flying lesson, huh? Don't worry, you'll get better!"

"H-hullo H-heather. Fell o-off my broom, d-don't think I can get m-much worse," he stuttered weakly. Heather hid a wince at the jutting exposed bone. Definitely a broken wrist.

"Don't you worry, Madam Pomfrey will fix you up faster than you can say 'ouch'. So, Hadrian's still on the field?" Neville, looking much more relaxed as the Mediwitch cast a spell, nodded.

"Madam Pomfrey, could I postpone my check-up? Rian's having his first flying lesson!" Of course, he already knew how to fly, but she still wanted to be there.

The matron shooed her off. "Oh go on, dear. You'll be back soon, no doubt."

Heather quickly said her farewells and left with one last comforting smile at Neville.

The first year Gryffs and Slyths were all making a ruckus on the pitch. Heather couldn't spot Rian anywhere, but she saw Hermione staring off into the distance worriedly.

"What's going on Hermione? Why's Madam Hooch in such a tizzy?"

"Draco Malfoy had Neville's remembrall and he threw it towards the Black Lake. Hadrian flew off to go retrieve it," Hermione said, hands wringing nervously.

"Oh," Heather said, confused, "is that all? What's everyone so concerned then?"

The other girl stared at her in shock. "Aren't you worried? He just took off like a rocket after Malfoy! He could unseat himself and fall into the lake!"

"Is that why Madam Hooch looks like she's about to have an aneurysm?" Rian did look very jerky on his broom. She'd never actually seen him fly before. The snitch was always her entire focus during Quidditch matches. He made a lot of sharp turns and risky dives, a stark contrast from her own flying. "Well, he'll have no problem getting that remembrall. See? He's already flying back here."

Hadrian landed right next to them. "Watcha doing here, Heather? Did you see that? I caught this!" he said breathlessly, holding up a small orb.

Before she could respond, a shrill voice cut in.

"Mr Potter! You will come with me now." Oh my, Madam Hooch had gone to get Professor McGonagall?

"Professor..." Heather attempted to defend her brother.

"Not to worry, Miss Potter. Mr Potter is not going to be punished." With that said, she walked off with Hadrian trailing after her.

Hopefully, what the Professor said was true.

~~~

Stunned speechless, Heather stared at her brother. Had she heard him correctly?

"You're the new Gryffindor seeker?" she repeated. He nodded. Hadrian was still a first year! Quidditch games could get really brutal. Especially between Gryffs and Slyths. He was so small. Granted, he was now taller than her. Still...

"Yeah!" Hadrian cheered happily, then his face fell. "You don't like it? 'Cos you're seeker too?"

Heather rushed to refute that idea. "No, of course not! I'm thrilled! Just a teensy bit worried, but I know you'll be great. Don't think this means I'll go easy on you though!"

"Don't you dare! I want to beat you at your best," he proclaimed confidently.

Ruffling his hair, she replied, "That'll be a long time coming!"

Heather just prayed that her brother would get through all his games safely.

~~~

She clutched Fred's arm tightly as Rian made an abrupt dive then pulled out at the very last second. "Oh Merlin!"

George winced and rubbed his limb in sympathy. "Oh my arm! Would you relax?"

Her eyes remained trained on her brother, her other hand gripping her broom just in case. "How can I relax? Look at how he's flying! Has he always flown like this?"

Hadrian landed after several rolls in the air and walked towards them. Only then did Heather release her hold on Fred's arm.

"What's wrong with how I fly?" he asked amusedly.

"You fly like you're trying to outpace a dragon!" Heather exclaimed, still tightly-strung.

"How do you know-"

"-how that looks like?"

"Have you been-"

"racing dragons-"

"-behind our backs?" They actually sounded offended.

"All those random twists and sharp manoeuvres," Heather said, tensing and releasing her fists compulsively.

"I was in control the whole time, Heather. This Nimbus is awesome, by the way. Gotta thank Professor McGonagall again. You don't have to worry about anything, except about losing matches to Gryffindor!" Hadrian retorted cheekily.

Tittering faintly, Heather made a note to herself to look up protective amulets before the season started. That new defensive spell she wanted to learn would just have to wait.

~~~

"Why are you asking about a three-headed dog?" Heather questioned, frowning in befuddlement.

"Well," Hadrian said sheepishly, "it's a long story." At Heather's stern look, he continued quickly, "So Malfoy challenged me to a duel that day I was made seeker-"

"He what? Why am I hearing about this only now?" she hissed angrily, "Please tell me you didn't agree."

He smiled weakly. "About that... See, Ron made me, and Hermione and Neville go. Said he wasn't a coward." Heather was going to strangle that boy! "But Malfoy never showed. Turns out it was a ploy to get us caught by Filch."

She snorted. "I could have told you that. He's Slytherin. Even if his subtlety needs work."

"Right, so we ran and happened upon the third floor corridor-"

"The out of bounds third floor corridor? The one where you'll suffer a painful death? That third floor corridor?"

"I'm fine! Just found a three-headed dog guarding some trapdoor or something. We bolted as soon as we saw it."

"Smartest thing you all did that night," Heather muttered darkly. "Did you at least bring Anguis along?" At his innocent look, she sighed. "Promise me you'll bring her every time you go off on one of these preposterous adventures. Don't look at me like that, you know this'll happen again."

"I promise!" Hadrian said sincerely. "So, about that dog..."

She sighed. He wouldn't let it go, she knew. "Cerberus. A three-headed dog that guards the gates to the Underworld, according to Greek mythology. Its weakness is music - it falls asleep."

Heather moaned at the thoughtful look on her brother's face. How many more protection spells could she place on that little gem?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 8.5K 46
[Severus Snape and Lily Potter Fanfiction, taking place in the year 1981] Intertwining of wrongly chosen paths result in the accidental meeting betwe...
48.3K 2.2K 74
Amilia Hubbard returns to Hogwarts! Harry Potter has begun his schooling! So not only does Severus Snape have to deal with the young wizard but he al...
7.3K 226 4
Harry wants revenge. Harry has a plan. But is Harry Slytherin enough to avoid his own trap? Harry Potter/Severus Snape
45.4K 1.4K 28
Love is difficult to explain as one likes to say. But (Y/n)(L/n) falling for her professor, Severus Snape? That was hard to believe. The girl always...