White Heather for Protection

Door KuroYuuki812

When James and Lily Potter are murdered, Heather Potter vows to protect her younger brother in their place. S... Meer

Prologue: Destiny Turns
A Day in the Life
Remembrance
Minerva McGonagall
The Return
Shopping Spree
Mr Tall, Dark and Surly
Choosing and Being Chosen
Interlude: Professors' Meeting
The Waiting Game
Of Schooling and Gemini
A House, a Home, a Heart?
The Freedom to Be
The School Bell Rings
Stirring Emotions
Give and Take
Interlude: Through Onyx Eyes
Snakes and Lions
Time Flies. So Does a Broom
Meet the Family
A Crazy Party
So It Begins
Greasy Git
Of Dragons and Derring-Do
The Danger Begins
Trouble in the Skies
Seeking Happiness
Obsession and Paranoia
Family
Moving On
Hunkering with House Elves
Fantastic Feats
Slithering Serpents
Teenage Woes
Interlude: Third One's the Charm
Another Interlude: Day of Love. Or Not.
Down the Rabbit Hole
The Chamber of Secrets
Ditching the Shackles
New Beginnings
Truths Unveiled
Of Spoilt Brats and Dungeon Bats
Confessions
A Grim Series of Events
Proof
'Tis the Season
Felons and Convicts
The Wolf and the Hound...and the Hippogriff?
Student's Bane
Resurgence
Haunting Memories
Mind Over Matter
A Most Demanding Cup
Difficult Relationships
A Mile a Minute
All's Fair
A Night to Remember
Reality Check
What You'll Sorely Miss
Sneaks and Intruders
Falling Out
Interlude: First Kisses
Out of the Woodwork
Crouching Fox, Hidden Serpent
Blood of the Enemy
Mystery Solved
Plots and Plans
Just Des(s)erts
The Greatest Power
Weasleys' Whereabouts
The Old Crowd
All that Glitters
Power of Seven
The Pink Toad
Duelling Tactics
Dragons and Snakes
Matters of the Mind
Umbrage
Worn Out
Apologies and Punishment
The Boiling Toad
Sweet Revenge
Bloody Catastrophe
Teacup Tempest
The Prophecy
As One Door Closes
Another One Opens
Heart-Stopping Revelations
Amortentia Lessons
Secrets Kept
Mistletoe
Between the Shadow and the Soul
Rending the Soul
Quiet Moments
The Fall
Getting Things in Order
The Hunt
Wedding Bells and Vicious Spells
Back in Business
Devotion
Enemies Within Walls
Win Some, Lose Some
Another One Bites the Dust
Beginning of the End
By Any Other Name
The Siege
Afterwards
Look Forward
Epilogue

The Letter

2.2K 67 0
Door KuroYuuki812

Drowsy verdant eyes fluttered open to the dark gloom of the cupboard under the stairs. Shaking off the grogginess from the late night she'd had, Heather nudged her brother awake. Her internal alarm told her that they did not have the time for the previous morning's lassitude. Birthday aside, it would be just another typical day at Number 4 Privet Drive.

Settling into their morning routine, Heather efficiently prepared batter for blueberry pancakes while magicking some toast into the cupboard. Throughout her breakfast preparations, she continued to sneak way unnoticeable portions of food. She hardly had to strain herself at all, having had to do this for years already.

Hadrian entered the kitchen and took Heather's place while she stole into the bathroom. She quickly freshened up then went to retrieve the mail. As she approached the front door, however, she felt an odd awareness directed at a thick envelope.

'Why does that letter have magic?' Heather wondered as she picked it up. Her eyes widened when she saw that it was addressed to her. She suppressed her curiosity and magicked it to a hidden alcove in the cupboard. She hurried to bring the remaining stack to Uncle Vernon. She had dallied too much as it was.

Heather paid for the delay with a newly bruised cheek and ribs, but thankfully Hadrian was spared punishment. She passed the rest of the day in an almost-daze, trying - and failing - to put the letter out of her mind. She even missed the numerous worried glances her brother gave her when the Dursleys weren't paying attention.

~~~

"Okay, tell me what's wrong Heather. You've been out of it the whole day!" Hadrian demanded as soon as they were once again locked in their cupboard.

Heather gave him a chagrined look and apologised, "Sorry Rian. It's just, I received a letter-"

"A letter? Who's it from?" Hadrian cut in, looking sheepish at his sister's raised brow.

"A letter that has magic in it. I was just about to read it," Heather continued. She held her hand out and the letter flew from seemingly nowhere into her waiting palm.

Absentmindedly, Heather waved her hand and an orb of light floated into existence. Now that she could see the letter clearly, she noted a heavy wax seal on it depicting some sort of crest. Hesitantly, she broke the seal and took out the few pieces of very thick paper. Her eyes brightened as she read the letter out to Hadrian.

~~~

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc. Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

~~~

So they would be attending Hogwarts after all. She hadn't been too sure, what with being abandoned to the Dursleys who passionately hated magic and anything abnormal. Looking up at Rian, Heather chuckled at his excited expression.

"You'll be going to Hogwarts! What about me? Do I get a letter too?"

Heather frowned lightly. "You will get your letter in two years. Wizards and witches get enrolled when they're eleven," she tried to put delicately.

"Oh..." Hadrian's face fell slightly. "But we'll stay together right? I won't be left here alone with them?"

Rian was right. She couldn't leave him here; she absolutely refused to. How was she going to protect him if they weren't together?

Coming to a decision, Heather nodded determinedly. "Right, I'll write a reply to the school and ask. Could you pass me a pen and some paper please?" Heather watched as her brother rummaged around in one of the many cardboard boxes littering the floor. She helpfully directed the glowing orb to hover directly over him.

"Ahah! I've found a pen," Hadrian announced, holding up a slightly bent ball-point. "But...we don't have any blank paper," he said dejectedly.

"That's alright," Heather assured her brother, "Just give me some of the used worksheets."

Hadrian passed the items to his sister, a bemused expression on his face. He didn't voice his confusion though. Heather could do anything.

Heather took the proffered items and shot a smile at her brother. "Thanks, now let's try this out..." She waved her hand over the worksheets and directed her magic. Soon, the printed words began to fade, leaving lightly crumpled pieces of plain paper.

Seeing her brother's awed look, Heather decided it was time for another magic lesson. "Remember, Rian, the most important thing about using magic is your intent. You can do mostly anything as long as you have your goal in mind and direct your magic accordingly." Heather waved her hand in demonstration and the orb of light grew bigger. "Go on - practise with your magic. Do whatever you want, I won't restrict you this time. Just remember to keep it down; we don't want to wake the Dursleys."

Heather left her brother to his practice and went about writing the letter. She wrote slowly, using her nicest penmanship. Wouldn't want the Deputy Headmistress to have a bad impression.

After rewriting the letter a few times, Heather was finally satisfied. She called Hadrian over to read it.

~~~

Dear Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall,

I am Heather Lyra Potter and I would, foremost, like to thank you for my acceptance into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I would be delighted to attend come 1 September. I do, however, have several queries that I hope to have addressed.

Firstly, I am concerned about the well-being of my brother, Hadrian Leo Potter, while I attend school. I understand that Hogwarts is a boarding school, so will my brother be lodging with me during the academic year? If not, may I delay my admittance until we can both attend school together.

Secondly, there may be issues regarding my finances. My brother and I do not have any monetary assets. How will we afford the school fees and pay for supplies?

Lastly, I am unsure of how to get to Hogwarts or even where to go for school supplies. Could I request a guide to show me directions?

These are all the pressing questions I have for now. Thank you again.

Yours sincerely,

Heather Potter

~~~

"Well, what do you think?" Heather asked when her brother set the letter down. Without a word, he flung himself at her and clutched at her oversized shirt.

"You'd really wait two years to go to Hogwarts with me?" Hadrian mumbled into Heather's shirt.

Heather's gaze softened and she wrapped her arms around her brother's thin shoulders. "Of course! I can't just leave you alone with these horrid people, now can I?" Hadrian just snorted in amusement and tightened his grip.

"Hey Heather?" Hadrian started when something occurred to him. "How are we going to mail the letter?"

Heather blinked and mulled over her brother's words. She had forgotten that teensy detail. She skimmed over her Hogwarts letter again, as if a return address would suddenly pop into existence.

"We await your owl...?" Heather muttered to herself. Oh! Wizards sent mail by owl, like homing pigeons. She shook her head at her silliness; she had forgotten so much about wizarding life.

"Where are we going to get an owl?" Hadrian asked after Heather explained the situation. "Do you suppose the school would have left an owl nearby for us? I mean, they should know we don't have one ourselves right?" he mused.

"Well, we could try to find one." Heather nodded decisively. "Okay, let's go outside and look around."

Hadrian perked up at the mention of a night-time excursion and leapt off their cot. He stopped at the heavily locked door of their cupboard and looked at his sister expectantly.

Heather raised an eyebrow at her brother in challenge. "Would you like to do the honours? Put your earlier practice to use?"

A determined glint entered Hadrian's eyes. He raised his hands towards the door and took a deep breath. He concentrated on the feel of his magic and nudged it against the dozen-odd locks on the other side of the door. Just focus, he could do this.

Heather let out a pleased hum as the familiar feeling of her brother's potent magic swirled in the room. He had more magic than she did, despite his age. It didn't take long for the clicking of locks to be heard. She quickly reached out with her own magic to slowly lower the padlocks to the ground. They didn't want a commotion to rouse the other occupants of the house.

The door soon swung open without resistance. Heather gave her brother an enthusiastic hug and a kiss on the forehead before leading him out. They stealthily made their way out of the house through the backdoor.

Stepping into the garden, Heather scanned the trees for any perching owls. To her dismay, she couldn't spot any, especially in the dark. Perhaps she could try to locate one using magic. Focussing inwards, she pictured a hooting owl and sort of flung her magic outwards. Going entirely on instinct now, she felt a few blips of awareness. She started walking towards one near to them.

"What are you-" She shushed her brother gently, not wanting to lose her concentration.

At the base of a tree that held the blip, Heather peered into the foliage. There appeared to be a bird in there, hopping about nervously as it wasn't able to fly away. Hmm, it was probably just a wild owl. She released her magic tether on it and it disappeared in a flurry of feathers.

Two more blips led to wild owls as well. Walking towards the fourth blip, Heather despaired of ever finding a wizarding post owl. When she walked closer to it though, a tawny owl flew towards her and landed on her shoulder. She winced at the sharp claws and swallowed her surprise at the forward bird.

The owl seemed to hoot expectantly at the letter she held in her hand. "Are you a post owl?" Heather felt almost silly talking to it, but an affirmative coo was given. Heather sighed in relief. "Could you help me take this to Deputy Headmistress McGonagall at Hogwarts?" She held the letter up. Another coo, then the owl held one of its legs out. Heather stared questioningly before blushing and holding the letter closer to the clawed foot. The owl closed its talons and grasped the letter firmly.

"Remember, the letter is for Hogwarts' Deputy Headmistress." At the reminder, the owl seemed to hoot in exasperation. Heather had the feeling that it would roll its eyes if it could. The owl then flew off with a sharp cry.

"Fly safe! And thank you!"

Heather turned to her brother who had been uncharacteristically quiet (in her presence, anyway) during the search.

"Wow," was all Hadrian could say after seeing his sister find owl after owl, seemingly effortlessly. Heather talking to that owl had been odd though, despite what he himself could do.

Heather just smiled indulgently then ushered her brother back inside, replacing all the locks on the way in.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.3K 56 11
In between running Hogwarts, being a Death Eater, and helping the Chosen One, Severus has one more little thing to do ... In the final, desperate yea...
2.9K 194 20
Severus Snape and Lily Evans become the best of friends from the day they first meet. As they begin their magical education at Hogwarts, Lily vows to...
28.3K 1.1K 39
On her 22nd birthday, Rynne Salazar Slytherin finds herself on the run for her life. Seeking refuge within the walls of Hogwarts, Rynne finds that li...
1.3K 84 17
Severus Snape x fem Harry (Hally) Potter He burns for her for all the wrong reasons, she obsesses and aches for him for all the right ones. Will thi...