Nothing, But A Number

By JohnsonDreamer

PSA: THIS IS A STORY ABOUT A BLACK BROWN SKIN GIRL! THE MAIN CHARACTER IS BLACK! (There isn't a picture of th... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter tweleve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thriry-five
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Chapter forty-three
Chapter forty-four
Chapter forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter forty-eight
Chapter forty-nine
Chapter fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter fifty-two
Chapter fifty-three
Chapter fifty-four
Chapter fifty-five
Chapter fifty-six
Chapter fifty-seven
Chapter fifty-eight
Chapter fifty-nine
Chapter sixty
Chapter sixty-one
Chapter sixty-three
Chapter sixty-four

Chapter sixty-two

1.6K 82 24
By JohnsonDreamer

Random picture of Story
——————
Don't forget to Comment, Vote, and send feedback!!
——————————

Story POV

"Oh Story don't you look pretty sissy!!" Natalie compliments.

"Really?! You think he'll like it?"

"Oh most definitely!!"

Taking my pink bonnet off I let my mid length box braids fall to my mid back.

"Can you help me put my hair in a ponytail Natty."

"Okayy." she says, putting her lollipop in her mouth.

At the moment we are at our great great auntie, Mabel house. However, we're not supposed to because we can't be left unattended since she gets forgetful. I guess that's normal since she's almost ninety-five.

"Okayy, done." Natty, says stepping back to look at what she did. "Chefs kiss." she says, happily.

At the moment we are getting ready to leave. Putting on our coats, hats, gloves, and earmuffs. We grab our stuff to get ready to leave.

"Are you sure we shouldn't wait until Nina gets back so she can take us?" Natty asks, making sure her hat is on right.

"Isn't she supposed to be the one watching us instead over being over that little boy house?" I question, sassily while crossing my arms.

"Yeah, but isn't it dangerous to leave by ourselves?" she says, second guessing what we're about to do.

"Yeah, I can see it being dangerous, but it's not like we're doing it alone. We're doing the buddy system!" I say, cheerfully.

"But I feel like we should have an adult too."

"Don't worry I got that covered! I'm gonna call my uncle Jason and he's gonna sit on the phone while we go to the places we need to go." I answer, confidently.

"Whose that? Is he my uncle too?" Natty, ask suspiciously.

"He's my daddy's brother, I think he would be your uncle too since we're cousins." I answer, kind of unsure.

"What happens when Nina calls to do her check ins with us?" she asks, putting her boots on.

"We'll just answer the phone, and say we're fine. What she doesn't know won't hurt us." I answer, confidently. "Just make sure you got your phone."

Once we put our gloves and scarf on I call uncle Jason.

"Hello?" he answers, tiredly.

"Hey uncle Jason!!" I greet.

"Hey kid, what do you want I'm trying to sleep."

"Oh perfect! I just need you to stay on the phone while me and my cousin Natalie go somewhere." I say, while Natty gets her step stool to unlock the door.

"Don't forget your bag." I remind once she has the door open.

"Whose Natalie?" he asks, with tiredness still laced in his voice.

"Your other niece."

"Hi, uncle Jason!" Natty yells, closing the door behind us.

"Stop yelling I can hear you."

"He sounds mean." Natty whispers.

"I promise he's nice. He just doesn't like to be waken up from his sleep." I answer, trying to connect to mommy's AirPods.

"Anyway, hey Natalie." he says, grumpily. "I'll stay on the phone with you guys, but you have to be quiet so I can rest."

I hear him moving around on the bed to then be met with silence. I put one AirPod in and give the other one to Natty, so she can also hear if uncle Jason says something.

"Okay, we'll go on mute." I say, putting us on mute and putting my emergency phone in my purse.

Natty then hands me one of her AirPods where she is playing our favorite kids bopz songs on her emergency phone. We grab each other's hand, like the buddy system states we do, and start walking down the busted up sidewalk to the local bus stop.

————————

"So why are we doing this again?" Natty asks, as we sit on the bus station bench swinging our feet.

"Because I told you I want to do something for my Daddy since we haven't been on a date in awhile and since we wasn't able to spend Dia de los Muertos together to celebrate his mommy." I answer, looking at her phone while she plays games. "Plus didn't you say you also need to get Auntie and uncle something for their anniversary today?"

"Yeah, I guess." she answers, shrugging. "Anyway what's the Dia Muertos day?" she asks, looking up from her phone when she died.

"My abuela says it's a day to celebrate the dead." I answer, starting to play the game.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I missed the dates when you're supposed to celebrate it since I was in Australia."

"Why couldn't you celebrate it in Australia?"

"Because I forgot how to, but it's okay because it makes more sense to celebrate it now since it's his mommy death birthday."

"So what are you going to do?" she asks. "Oh here's our bus!" she says, hopping off the bench and me doing the same.

We take each other hands and follow the other adults onto the bus. Walking on in between the adults we make our way to the back to sit down.

"I'm going to buy him a new outfit and I made reservations at his favorite type of food place." I answer, as we take our seats.

"Which is?" she asks, changing the song.

"He really likes Greek and French food. So I asked Siri what restaurants have that type of food and she showed me this fancy place. Here I'll show you." I answer, taking my phone out my purse to still see uncle Jason is still on the phone.

"See." I show her.

"Hey, that's where all the rich people eat at in the expensive part of Chicago."

"Yeah, I know."

"How did you make reservations?"

"I did it online. They ended up having a last minute opening and they emailed me back saying I can have it so I took it."

"That's cool."

"Yeah so what are you getting auntie and uncle?" I ask kicking my feet and putting my phone back in my bag.

"I'm probably going to get daddy a watch and mommy a dress or some shoes." she answers, shrugging.

The bus soon drops us off at the closes stop they can get us to so we can be in the 'Upscale side of the Illinois'.

We get off to have the cold winter air to hit us as we make our way down the sidewalk again holding hands.

"Awe, look at you two cute little girls." a random white lady says.

"Move we have pepper spray." Natty says, pulling her pepper stray from out her coat pocket with her free hand.

"And I have a taser." I add, pulling it out of my coat pocket.

"You're holding it wrong Story." Natty whispers to me.

Quickly turning it around to point it at her.

"Awe, too cute! Are you guys lost?"

"No." I answer, truthfully.

"Imma spray her. She's making me uncomfortable." Natty says.

"Wait hold on Nat—"

"OH MY GOD AHHHHH!!!" the lady screams in pain, as Natty pepper sprays her.

"What the heck Natty!"

"Run!" Natty says, dragging me down the sidewalk running and the lady is now on the ground in pain.

We soon make it to the heart of Upscale Chicago.

"What store do you want to go in first?" Natty asks, looking around curiously.

As people move at a fast pace around us.

"Daddy is on GQ of Australia and Italy magazine a lot... so maybe the GQ store?" I answer, looking around at the big buildings

"I never heard of a GQ store." Natty says, looking around in amazement.

"Same here." I answer, honestly.

————————

After a couple of hours of looking around we found nothing. Now we're sitting on a bench on the sidewalk eating some sandwiches we packed for our trip.

"Oh my god Natty. I feel like I'm never going to find daddy the perfect outfit." I whine, leaning my head on her shoulder.

"Don't worry you will." she says, biting her turkey cheese sandwich.

"Why don't we try that store there. It looks fancy enough." she says, pointing across the street.

"What does it even say?" I ask, trying to sound it out.

"I don't know." she says, giggling and getting up. "Let's go find out."  she puts her unfinished sandwich in her bag.

We look both ways before we make our way across the street. The guard man looks at us suspiciously as we make our way to the door.

"Excuse me kind sir—"

"Really Natty?!" I whisper, yell.

"What?"

I just roll my eyes at her ridiculously way of speaking to the tall man.

"Yeah?" he answers, cocking an eyebrow.

"What is this place called?"

"Giorgio Armani Miss."

"Ah, sounds very expensive." she says, in a posh accent. "Please let us through we would like to dine in this fine establishment."  she says, confidently puffing her chest out.

I don't think she said that right.

The man reaches for the door heavy door still eyeing us.

"Thank you thy young sir." she says, bowing. Causing me to bow too.

I guess she did say that right.

"Were we supposed to bow?" I ask, as we walk through the door. "Because he doesn't sound like the queen."

"Girl I don't know it just felt right. Now let's go look for uncle Lulu and my daddy something." she says, dragging me in further.

We spent a total of a lot of minutes here and I feel like I haven't found anything.

"Why not this outfit?" Natalie asks, pointing to the statue.

"I don't know... it doesn't seem like something daddy would wear."

"Well you have to pick something you guys early dinner reservations are almost here." she says, looking at her phone. "Plus it's goes with your outfit." she adds.

"Yeah it does." I say, mostly to myself.

"Mmhm. You can get it and just get a brown peacoat like yours."

I think daddy already has a brown coat like mines at home.

"I like this store." Natty, says wondering off.

"Natty we have to stay together!" I yell, dragging her back to the statue. "You don't need nothing else you got uncle his watch and auntie some perfume."

She just sucks her teeth and rolls her eyes.

"Fine, fine I'll get the outfit." I say, starting to look for daddy size in everything.

After me and Natalie gets very thing we need, we start to make our way up to the front.

"We will like to pay separate for these please." we say, looking up.

The woman and man behind the counter bend over and look down at us.

"Where are your parents?" the woman asks.

"Don't worry about it." Natty, says giving them attitude.

"How did you even get in here." the man adds.

"Look all we want to do is dine at this establishment. We are good paying customers see."

Natalie says, while digging in her bag for her Hello Kitty wallet. I take the hint and dig for my Winx Club wallet that papá got me before he died. We both pull out our sliver and gold metal American Expess cards that our mommy's gave to us for emergency.

They both look at us stunned.

"And yes we know the pin to them." I add, sassily.

"Yeah, now ring our stuff up before I report you for age discrimination!" Natty says, boldly.

"What does that mean?" I whisper, to her.

"I don't know I just heard it somewhere on grandma G TV. Plus it sounded right to say." she whispers back.

They look at each other and then start ringing the stuff up.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Almost thought I had to pepper spray you guys too."

"What's with you and pepper spray today?"

"Oh so now you got a problem with my pepper spray. First it was me and the taser last week." she says, throwing her hands up in disbelief.

"Sorry, my bad." I say, throwing my hands up.

"That will be four thousand even." the man says, looking down at me.

"Four thousand?!" me and Natty says, shocked.

"Uncle Lulu sure has expensive taste." Natty whispers.

"Yeah, but as long as he's happy it doesn't matter. Now give me a boost so I can reach the card thingy."

She squats down to lift me up by my legs to bring me up. Steadying myself against the counter I put the card in the chip reader and then put in the special pin like mommy taught me. After it says take out on the screen I remove the card and Natty puts me back down. The man hands me my bag and receipt.

"Your total today will be one thousand one hundred dollars."

"Damn." Natty says.

I bend down and do the same and she puts her card in to shortly take it out. The lady hands her bag and receipt. We thank them and walk towards the exit to then stop and knock on it so the man on the other side can open the door. Once outside we hold each others hands again. Making our way down the long sidewalk to our next destination.

————————-

After we ride the bus to auntie shop we get off.

"Are you sure you don't want to just wait for my mommy to get here so she can take you to your mommy job?" Natty, asks worried as I give her back her AirPod.

"No, it's fine. I got to hurry up and get there anyway." I say, taking mine from her.

"But it's going to be dangerous. What about the buddy system?!"

"It's fine. I promise Natalie. However, are you going to be fine waiting for Auntie out here?"  I ask, looking around.

"Yeah I'm fine. I bought some Christmas paper, so I'm going to wrap mommy and daddy presents out here while I wait."

"Okay."

"Make sure you call me when you get to Auntie job so I know you made it safe."

"And make sure you call me when auntie gets back so I know you made it in the shop safe."

We hug each other one last time, and I start making my way down the snowy sidewalk again.

———————-

Arriving to mommy busy building I check the time to see me and Daddy has an hour to get to our dinner reservations. Unlocking my phone I double check to see if his location is still here.

Yes!

Making my way inside the crowded building I go straight to the elevator. I text Natty that I'm here, for her to text back to say auntie is yelling and crying at her. For some reason, but she just brushes it off and say she thinks she's on her period. I also hang up on uncle Jason.

Making it to the top floor I get off the elevator to be met by mommy.

"Oh my god Story!" she yells, picking me up and holding me. "Oh my baby." she says, sniffling.

"Mommy what's wrong." I say, hugging her back.

"Oh thank goodness, Princess." Daddy says, coming towards us.

"Story Lyn Jackson, what the actual hell?!" mommy yells, putting me down.

"What?!"

"You know what." Daddy says, sternly.

"Why did you and Natalie sneak off today?! You know how dangerous that is?!" Mommy yells.

"I thought something had happened to you! Then I get a call saying that your card has been hit at a damn—"

Her and Daddy's eyes then look at the Armani bag in my hand.

"Did you carry that around with you all day today in Chicago?" Mommy asks, changing the subject.

"Yes?"

"Oh my god." she cries. "There really is god. It's a miracle my baby is still alive." she says, in distress.

"Princess, why did you leave your older cousin today."

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you that it's top secret, but Daddy I really need you to go change into this." I say, handing him the bag.

"Story—"

"Please daddy and I'll explain everything to mommy."

He just sighs and looks at mommy to then walking off to the bathroom.

"Come on young lady." Mommy says, walking towards her office wiping her eyes.

I follow behind her. Climbing up into the chair in front of mommy's desk. I then start to explain everything.

"So please don't be mad mommy I promise you I was safe." I beg.

She just sits there and rubs her face. "I don't know what I'm going to do with you Story. I swear you remind me more and more how you're like Nicky." she says, shaking her head.

"Once we get back to Australia you're grounded. That means no TV, games, nor playing with your friends. Because what you did Story was very dangerous and I can't even fathom to think of what if there would have been another outcome—"

"But mommy I was safe."

"No, but you wasn't!" she yells. "Just because you had Jason on the phone and holding each others hands doesn't mean nothing! There are some really sick people out here that Jason wouldn't have been able to protect you against on the phone."

"I understand mommy, and I'm sorry to make you worried, but it was for daddy at the end of the day and I just wanted to make him happy because I know he misses his real mommy sometimes." I answer, not regretting my actions today.

"Story come here." mommy says, pushing her chair back.

I hop down and make my way to her. She picks me up and I straddle her lap.

"I should honestly beat your tail." she laughs, still sniffing a little. "But you are the most sweetest and kind hearted little girl ever. You must really love Lucas to put yourself into that kind of danger, huh?"

I just nod my head very fast. "Most definitely!"

"Oh god, I don't know what I would have done today if I would have lost you. You know you're all I have and no matter what I can't honestly make another you."

"Yeah I know cause papá isn't alive no more silly." I say, taking my striped white and brown gloved hand and wiping her face.

"Even if he was still here. We wouldn't be able to make another you because you are such a one of a kind little girl. Even if we tried there would be no guarantee that we get the exact copy of you."

I just start to play with the buttons on her shirt. Starting to feel bad for making mommy cry. She then brings me close to her and holds me.

"Next time you think of doing something like this just call me please and let me know. I wouldn't have stopped you honey. I would've taken you guys or had my driver to." she whispers.

"Okay, mommy we will."

Then I hear her office door open.

"Everything alright?" I hear daddy say.

Mommy nods her head letting go of me. She puts me down and I make my way towards daddy. Looking up at him in amazement I couldn't help, but ask the question.

"D-do you like the outfit daddy?" I ask, nervously.

I see daddy look over to mommy and then back at me. "I love it princess." he answers.

Oh my god yes!! Thank you Natty!!

I couldn't help, but have a wide smile spread across my face. I reach to take his hand and lead him out the door.

"Where are we going Story?"

"Don't worry just come on."

"I need the keys Princess."

"No you don't. Now come on." I state, using all my strength to pull him.

————————

Lucas POV

I hold Story's hand as we walk peacefully down the sidewalk in the cold winter air. I text Shannon to ask what's going on and she just tells me to go with it and she'll drop the car off to me later.

At the moment we are sitting at a run down bus station waiting for the bus. I look over at Story to see she's playing with her fingers, kicking her feet.

She's nervous.

"You wanna see this new game I downloaded?" I ask, getting her attention.

"Mmhm." she nods, scooting closer to me.

The bus soon pulls up and we get on. I make sure to put some quarters in the coin slot and have us to take our seat.

————————

"Okay we're here!" she says, as we walk up to this very fancy restaurant and pass the valet.

Story let's go of my hand and runs over to the bushes and pulls out a Princess Tina booster seat. Making me give her a questioning look.

"Uh, sorry the tables in here looked a little high on Google, and they said they don't have any booster seats here. So me and Natty bought one and put it here earlier." she says, taking my hand bashfully and leading us inside.

"Hello, welcome to Bistro Lumiere. Do you have reservations for tonight sir?" the lady in the front asks, smiling.

"Uh yes we do. Under Story Lyn." Story speaks up, nervously.

The lady looks down at her books and nods her head. She walks us through the dim lit bistro for me to see everyone dressed to the nines.

I wonder how Story got us a seat in here. Matter of fact what is going on.

"Here are you guys seats. Your waiter will be with you shortly." the lady states, sitting our single page menus down.

Story puts her booster seat on the wooden bench booth part. Then comes over and pull my seat out for me, and I just look down at her as I take my coat, gloves, and scarf off. I just raise an eyebrow at her in a questioning manner.

"Story, what's going on?" I ask hanging my stuff on the back of my chair.

"Well I'm trying to be a gentlewoman and pull your chair out and push you in how you do to me on our dates."

"Mm." I reply, running my hands through my hair getting ready to put it back.

Damn I forgot my bow at Shannon's office.

I reach down and pick Story up and turn around standing her up on the wooden bench booth.

"Story, as woman and young lady you never pull out another man's chair no matter what. You understand me?" I ask taking off her hat, earmuffs, coat, scarf, and gloves.

Laying her stuff beside her booster seat.

She just nods her head.

"D-do you like my outfit? We kind of match?" she asks, bashfully again.

I look at her plaid outfit to see we actually don't match at all. Her brown winter peacoat is what matches my outfit, of which I don't have the heart to tell her I already have the exact same outfit in my closet back home in my penthouse.

(She has black tights on her legs)

"You look beautiful baby." I reply, kissing her cheek.

I lift her up and sit her on her booster seat. I then pick the table up a little to scoot it closer to her so she can be able to eat her food. I then take my seat and scoot into the table.

"Now tell me what made you do all of this?" I ask, giving her my full attention.

"Well you always take me on dates, and I just wanted to do something different and take you on a date since we haven't been on one in awhile." she answers, looking at the menu. "I-I know you said you like French and Greek food because it was your mommy's favorite, so I hope you l-like this place." she adds, getting shy on me.

I swear she is killing me with her cuteness.

"Why—"

"Good evening. Welcome to Bistro Lumiere. I am Louis the maitre d' of this establishment, and as requested I will be your server tonight." a man with a thick French accent, states. "What can I get you all to drink?"

"I will like juice please!" Story replies, confidently. Making me crack an amused smile.

I look at the menu to see it's all in French. Flipping it over I look at the drinks to see they have. Pellegrino, mock tails, wine, and IPA's.

The French man laughs. "Oh, we don't have juice madame."

"She'll take your Queue simulée de grenadine. While I'll have your Pétrus and Romanée Conti." I answer, looking at the menu.

"Will that be all at the moment sir?" he asks, directing his attention to me.

"We will also have Tapenade to start out on." I add.

"Yes sir I'll be back with your order shortly." he says, walking away.

"What was all of that daddy?" Story asks.

"A 'maitre d'' is a fancy word for head waiter. The drink I ordered for you is a fizzy type juice classified as a mock tail. And what I got is an expensive bottle of red wine that is typically only found in France. The appetizer I ordered for us is 'Tapenade' it is puréed or finely chopped olives, capers, and sometimes anchovies on bread." I answer, looking over the menu.

"Ew, the food sounds nasty." she says.

I just laugh. "You know I said the same thing until my dad made me eat it at my mum's side of the family event when I was a kid. I ended up actually liking it."

"Okayy, I guess I'll try it."

"There you go and if you don't like it you don't have to eat it." I add, shrugging.

—————————-

Me and Story have been here for about two hours I believe, and throughout whole time we laughed and talked. I ended up ordering more food then needed so Story can get a slight taste of the French cuisine. She ended up liking it a lot. What was weird for me is that she kept asking if I was okay throughout our time here. She eventually loosened up and become more carefree as time went by, but still.

Shannon texted me earlier to let me know she dropped the car off with the valet and that the ticket number is five.

Story told me how she wanted today to be perfect for me and that she wanted to make sure I laughed a lot. She made me tell her stories I heard of regarding about my late mum. Which I told, even though it wasn't much. I was kind of just repeating what I told her before.

Now we're eating dessert getting ready to leave.

"Come on Story. Daddy has to go use the bathroom." I say, standing up reaching my hand out to her.

"No, no. I want to stay here. I'm a big girl!" she says, pushing my hand away.

"Story, I'm not leaving you here unattended." I say, sternly.

Because someone already did that today, and look what happened.

She goes to argue some more, but since I'm not trying to hear that. I pick her up and walk towards the bathroom.

"Oh you're so mean." she huffs, in my arms.

Walking in the men's bathroom I see that no one is in there. I sit her down and turn her to the wall near the bathroom door.

"Stand there. While I use the bathroom." I demand, handing her my phone to occupy her.

Walking to a urinal I unzip and start to relieve myself.

"Daddy someone is calling you." Story says, as someone walks in going to a stall.

"Just ignore it. I'll call them back later." I state, starting to zip myself back up.

Going to the sink I wash my hands.

"Princess do you need to use the bathroom?"

"No." she answers, tapping on my phone.

"Are you sure?" I question, again.

"Mmhm."

"Why don't you go and try to use it before we go."

"Daddy, I don't have to go to the bathroom!"

"Okay, okay fine." I say, getting a paper towel and wiping my hands.

Going over and opening the door for her we walk out and go back to our seat. Sitting down Story starts to finish her desert. I see they dropped the bill off, and I go to reach for it but Story beats me to it. She looks at it and her eyes go wide.

"Story hand me the bill." I demand.

"No. It's my treat today." she says, taking out her winx club wallet and taking her emergency card out. Then starts waving her hands crazily

What am I going to do with her?

The man comes back around and takes it from her.

"Excusez-moi, quel est le total de la facture?" I ask, in French.

Because Story is not paying for this meal.

"C'est mille cent dollars même monsieur." the man answers.

Taking out my wallet, while trying to do quick math in my head. Of what fifteen percent of one thousand one hundred dollars would be.

That should be a hundred sixty-five dollars, if correct.

Looking in my wallet I see I only have big bills. Taking two hundred out I hand it to the man telling him that this will be the tip since they tip here in America.

"Daddy, what did you say?! Why did he take money from you?!"

"Nothing, I just said thank you for tonight is all." I lie, shrugging.

"Now, start putting your coat and stuff on so we can leave." I state, changing the topic.

I go to my notes app and make a note to deposit money back into her account.

The man comes back and asks Story to write her name on the line. To which she does. While she's doing that I see there is a piece of paper sticking out her coat. While she's distracted I stand up and grab her coat and take the paper out and put it in my pocket.

"Look didn't I write that pretty!" Story asks, the man happily.

"Yes ma'am you did. Have a lovely night now." he says, walking away.

"Alright come on Daddy we have one more place to go." she says, letting me help her put her things on.

———————

After arguing with Story about how we're not walking in the dark to our next destination. We are now in the car with her sitting in the back seat.

"Story where am I going?" I ask, looking around out the windshield.

Another thing I hate about being here is driving. I keep forgetting we drive on opposite sides of the road sometimes.

"Don't worry we're almost there." she says. "Now take this turn where the Christmas lights are lit up."

Doing as told I take a right and park the car next to the curb. Getting out the car and going to the back and opening up Story's door to let her jump out. Taking my hand she leads us through the busy park area and up a little hill. To where we soon come to a little clearing that over looks the city a little.

It's gorgeous up here.

"My abuela says that in order to celebrate Día de los Muertos. You start by making a little shrine of your loved ones." Story says, while walking towards a little setup.

She then she sits on her knees on the lightly snowed covered ground. In front of the dark setup, taking out a long lighter. 

I walk closer to her to see what it is.

"She also said that after you make your makeshift shrine; that includes their pictures. You sit around with your loved ones and you talk about all the good memories you had with them. While enjoying the food they use to like. And since it's supposed to be a happy celebration you dance and play music."

Once she finish lighting all the candles, and placing them back to where they are supposed to go. I immediately feel tears in my eyes threatening to spill out. As a picture of my mother appears in the center followed by pictures of her and my father on the right, and me and her as a newborn on the left.

"My abuela also says you pray to the shrine and light the way for them so they can come visit you." she says, standing up and going off to the trees that surround us turning the fairy lights that decorate the tree on.

"I know today is your real mommy death birthday, and I know you miss her a lot. So I wanted to help you celebrate her a little bit, and not be sad." she says, standing in front of me.

"Now I know it isn't much, but abuela says that's okay because it only takes a little for them to come visit you. So me and  Natalie spent all day and had the park guard that walks around here help us with hanging the lights as we made the shrine."

Now I couldn't help, but to have tears to spill from my eyes.

"And we are almost done with our celebration. Since we went out to have you and your mommy's favorite food, and we've already talked about your favorite memories with her, now all we have to do is pray and give offerings so you can talk to her." Story says, turning around and walking back to the shrine.

She sits down on her knees again and put her hands together in prayer holding prayer beads, to then start praying in Spanish.

I can't believe she did this for me. From the outfits, to the dinner, and now this. And it's all for me.

She then stands up and turn towards me with a smile.

"Since this is my first time I don't know how to tell if she arrived or not, but you can go and talk to her." she says, stepping out the way motioning me to come forward. "Go on, talk to her Daddy." she encourages. "I'll be right there behind that tree so you guys can talk in private." she says, taking off towards the thats lit up not too far behind me.

I squat down to really soak up the master piece she created for me. she has my mum's favorite flowers placed down in front of the most gorgeous/favorite picture of my mum showing off her drop dead gorgeous smile and vibrant blue eyes. Looking around I also see she has a square silk cloth of the color baby blue that I'm guessing represents her favorite color.

At this point I start to cry my eyes out at the thought of her doing this for me. I cry at the thought of someone really loving me enough to go through all of this for me, just so I don't feel alone. I won't lie I do miss my mum at times, but I also lost her when I wasn't even old enough to barely remember her. Taking my phone out I call my dad.

"Hello, Lucas?" he answers, with a raspy voice.

Hearing his voice I just cried harder.

"Lucas, what's wrong?!" he asks, with panic in his voice.

"Story is what's wrong." I answer. "During your time when living in the Spanish countries, do you remember learning about Día de los Muertos?" I ask, sniffling.

"Yeah, it's a happy celebration for the death of  loved ones." he answers. "Now, what's going on?"

"Story made her own on little version of it for me here to celebrate mum." I say, trying to get my emotions under control. "I'm not going to lie, I wish you were here with me to experience it." I add, staring at the beautiful picture of my mum.

How did she even get these pictures?

"Wow....Lucas, that is very sweet and thoughtful of her to do."

"Dad, what did I do to deserve this?" I ask, in a raspy voice.

Honestly.

He just chuckles. "Honestly son, I don't know cause you're an asshole at heart." he says, jokingly. "Now make sure you talk to your mum before you leave the shrine. I have to go now." he says, hanging up the phone.

What do I say?... where do I even start?

"Mum...I think I found my own little family to now take care of and protect..." I say, awkwardly. "I wish you could have met them. I swear they make me the most happiest person in the world. I'm actually about to marry Shannon soon to make our little family real...I hope you're doing well, and is happy... I know that dad talks to you all the time when he gets off from work. I just hope he isn't annoying you too much with his rambling.... I can't talk too much longer because the temperature is starting to drop and I don't want my baby to freeze out here, but I love you and hope you keep on watching out for me up there." I say, blowing out the candles.

"Are you ready Daddy?" Story asks, from behind me.

Wiping my eyes I answer, "yeah."

Picking up everything and packing things up we head to the car.

—————————-

"How was it baby?" Shannon whispers, as we lay in bed with Story sleep between us.

"It was perfect. I swear she is too precious for this world." I answer, having thumb to gently stroke her cheek.

She's so beautiful like her mum.

"Yeah, she is isn't she."

"You know I don't have the heart to tell her that today is my mother's birthday instead of the day she died." I state, laughing a little.

"Not going to lie I thought it was your mom's birthday. Story had me second guessing everything."

After we finish quietly laughing. Shannon turns on her side to look at me. I look up and make eye contact with her.

"Do you ever truly miss her?"

"Honestly, not really. She died too early for me to really remember her. I mostly just wish I knew her more than anything." I answer, truthfully now turning over to turn off the light.

"I love you Shannon." I say, wrapping my arms around Story.

"I love you too Lucas." she says, kissing my head.

————————-

Don't forget to comment and vote!!

This was a cute little filler chapter I wanted to include to represent Story and Lucas relationship more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 40.1K 55
♡ Editor's Pick 2020 ♡ When Rachel, who had loved her best friend Lucas since she was a little girl, found out he loved her too, she couldn't be any...
173K 8.1K 18
⚠️THIS WAS MY FIRST BOOK SO BEWARE!⚠️ A mother sets up his womanizer 18 year old son Kyle with 18 year old girl named Wynter. Kyle is a flirt, alway...
2.3M 17.3K 8
Highest Ranking #1 adultthemes (01/05/19) #1 eroticromance (24/10/2019) #1 adultromance (26/06/2019) #1 sugardaddy (05/08/2019) #1 couple (16/08/2019...
512K 21.2K 59
*This is not your typical romance. My characters are deliciously wicked anD unrepentant. This book features very mature content that includes sex w...