Back Home (Edited) Book 4 of...

By AuthorJMColes

#1 empowerment, #9 superwoman highest rank. Alex and the dragon brothers are reunited on their home world of... More

Copyright
Prologue
CH 1.1 Surrender
CH 1.2 Hunting Pimps
CH 1.3 Off to the Doctor
CH 2.1 Safety for Friends
CH 2.2 Useless Hostage
CH 2.3 Back Home
CH 3.1 The Useful One
CH 3.2 Old Girlfriends
CH 3.3 It's Like Christmas...Or Not...
CH 4.1 Who's the Monster?
CH 4.2 I'll Be Waiting For You
CH 4.3 Do You Mind?
CH 5.1 Useful Creature
CH 5.2 Can't Fight For You
CH 5.3 The Attack Begins
CH 6.1 Smart Aleck
CH 6.2 Hateful Old Reptile
CH 6.3 Casualties
CH 7.2 Different Marks
CH 7.3 Better a Love Lost...
CH 7.3 The Same Thing
CH 8.1 Old Girlfriends and More
CH 8.2 The Big Revelation
CH 8.3 Played For A Sap
CH 9.1 Synchronization
CH 9.2 Blades and Ritual Satisfaction
CH 9.3 Politicians and the Meaning of Words
CH 10.1 and 10.2 May You Live in Interesting Times
Ch 10.3 Sandstorm
CH 11.1 Not Your Victim Forever
CH 11.2 Retired Guardian
CH 11.3 Unnecessary Guilt
CH 12.1 Old Enemies
CH 12.2 Family Feud
CH 12.3 When The Past Bites You on the Butt
CH 13.1 Unexpected Freedom
CH 13.2 All in the Dysfunctional Family
CH. 13.3 All in the Adopted Family
CH 14.1 Crashing with Family vs. Killing Family
CH 14.2 Sword Fight with Family vs. Sexual Assault by Family
CH 14.3 Finally Breaking the Barrier
CH. 15.1 An Increasingly False Tale
CH. 15.2 deleted chapter
CH 15.3 Good Looking Males...Not Worth The Trouble
CH 16.1 Just Once, Come During the Day!
CH 16.2 A New Ally
CH. 16.3 The Battle
CH 17.1 The Battle Gets Personal
CH 17.2 Battle's Aftermath
CH 17.3 Every Party Needs a Pooper
CH. 18 Be Careful What You Wish For
Fluff Chapter - Lethal Laundry

CH 7.1 Battles

7 3 16
By AuthorJMColes

The next morning, the brothers let Alex and Rile sleep in, and Cale even left sweet rolls for them. Rile enjoyed the luxurious warmth of sleeping with Alex and stroked her hair while she slowly woke up. This eased her usual awakening panic. Once Alex saw the sweet rolls, she took one and ripped off a piece. Rile grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips, brushing them against her skin as he accepted the treat. They both laughed softly and snuggled back into the bedroll.

Once they finished enjoying the sweet rolls and each other, Rile said, "Time for lessons with Rake. Do you feel up to it? I'll tell him no. He doesn't scare me."

Alex gingerly buttoned up her blouse because it hurt less than putting on her padded tunic. "The old chauvinist doesn't scare me either." Alex picked up her wooden practice sword and also brought her Guardian sword as a reminder of her status to the hateful reptile. "I need the lessons."

Alex preferred lessons with Rake to discussing what had happened with the injured Agama. When they reached the secluded patch of sand bordered by thick logs, she noticed Rake already in the center. His back faced them as he twirled a wooden training sword between his fingers with considerable skill. Alex felt a mixture of jealousy and intimidation at the show.

He turned around and ordered, "Blade up."

Alex handed Rile her Guardian sword, brought up her wooden practice sword, entered the ring, and waited for Rake's attack. She was best at defense and hoped to hold her own for a decent amount of time. Gabe, Rile, and Cale sat on the logs and watched. They always practiced after Alex's lesson because Rake made sure he was at his freshest to spar with Alex while she was tired.

Jerk, I should have known a chauvinist pig was a cheater.

Rake advanced with a flurry of strikes and jabs, and Alex stumbled backward, desperately parrying each attack. The edge of her heel struck the marker log. With an animalistic growl, Rake pressed his wooden sword against hers—the force so intense that it knocked her off balance. Knowing she was beaten, Alex released her weapon as Rake's sword crashed into the ground beside her.

Destabilized, Rake lurched forward and put his hand out reflexively to steady himself. His hand slipped forward on Alex's chest, popping open the buttons on her blouse as it slid under. A brilliant flash blew him backwards into the sand. Alex snatched one of the regular swords lying next to the marker log and ran to him. She placed the tip on his throat as he lay face up.

"You can beat me black and blue with a wooden practice blade. You can cut me with a sword until the sand turns red with my blood. You can even demean me by calling me 'female' instead of my name, but you will never touch me again."

"So, female, you've got limits."

Alex tossed the sword onto his chest. "I've got limits. Care to test them further? You'll face me with all my powers. I do not submit to molesters or rapists because they hate females."

When Gabe looked like he was going to protest, Rile shook his head at him.

"Rapists?" Rake asked in a shocked tone and his gaze turned to the old wounds crossing Alex's chest. They disappeared under the flapping edge of the shirt, torn open by his hand. "I'm no rapist. My students are trained to never surrender until I tell them and you released the tension on our blades without command. But those are no battle scars."

"Give the hateful old reptile an award for figuring it out by himself." Alex buttoned her blouse. "Do you feel more confident seeing my scars, arrogant male? Think I'm an even weaker female now because some male tortured me and left me with them? Why don't we find out? Males like you need a lesson and I'm the master now with my powers."

She held out her hand for her Guardian sword and Rile placed it there. She lit her hand and white fire flowed down the blade.

"Teach the old misogynist a lesson," he told her.

With a startled expression, Rake looked at the Guardian sword and then at Rile's furious expression. Even Cale's normally serene face was closed off. Only Gabe seemed uncertain until he saw Rake looking at him and his expression closed as well.

Rake's hard expression cracked and fell into one of remorse. "I'm sorry, Guardian. It was an accident. I would not presume to humiliate you, or any female, in such a manner. That you all would think so is a poor reflection on myself. One that I have earned." Rake hung his head and said, "Please forgive me." His voice was low and hoarse, as if a lump in his throat was too big to swallow.

Alex studied him intently for what felt like an eternity before finally softening her expression. "Done," she said, lowering the sword in her hand and releasing her power. "But you have to tell me why you hate females first."

Rake took a deep breath before speaking. "My eldest brother was Aris, a Guardian. He was tortured and killed by a female agent of The Adversary. I've been blinded by my hatred ever since."

Alex narrowed her gaze, her own pain flashing in her eyes. "Are you saying I can hate you and every other male because I was raped and tortured?"

Rake shook his head slowly and sadly. "No. Please go now. Class dismissed." He turned away from her, his shoulders slumped as he trudged off.

***

Wishing to rest after the session with Rake, Alex went back to their tent. Cale offered to walk with her. Gabe asked Rile to travel through camp to look for anything they could help with.

"Let me start a soup. I want it to simmer a long time," Cale said. Once he had placed all the ingredients in an iron pot over the fire in front of their tent, he left Alex with it so he could help the healer. She periodically mixed the soup with a wooden spoon and watched for overheating.

An older Agama female wearing an elaborately stitched robe, the details of which were meticulously crafted, walked up to her. The female stood far too close, her tone indifferent. Not friendly. Not hostile. "Are you cooking?" she asked.

Alex looked up from the pot of soup with a spoon in one hand and a smile on her lips. "I'm just stirring," Alex replied, as she stirred the vegetables and meat in the pot. "Cale has the talent for cooking," she added, with obvious fondness.

"So Cale does all the cooking?"

The sharpness of the question was unmistakable, though Alex did not know what it meant. She bristled, indignant that anyone would denigrate Cale's abilities.

"He used to, but now he's too busy helping both the healer and the priest," Alex said firmly, to let her know that Cale was a respected and useful part of their community.

"It is usual to invite someone inside for refreshment." The older female's expression was as unmoving as her tone.

"I didn't know that." Alex planned to follow 'honesty is the best policy' until otherwise indicated. "Please come inside." She took a deep breath and extended an invitation, hoping that it would be received in the spirit that it was given. Opening the flap to the tent, Alex stepped back to allow the female entry. Alex figured it was safe to invite her in, because she could take this female in hand-to-hand if she jumped her.

"My name is Alex, and yours?"

I can be bland if that's how the game is played. I bet that introducing oneself is polite in any society.

"My name is Oba." The female waited a minute, but if she was waiting for Alex to show respect or even recognition, she would be disappointed. Oba surveyed the dull, unadorned walls of the tent, and shook her head. She turned to Alex, who stood quietly with her hands clasped in front of her. "What's this? Not a single stitch of embroidery? Don't you know how to do needlework?" Her tone implied accusation and Alex briefly debated lying before deciding on the truth.

"I don't know how to do it. Is that important? I will find time between sword, dagger, and staff practice if it is." Alex knew that answering with honesty and innocence was the best defense. The fact that it frustrated the inquisitor was an added bonus and Alex smiled inside.

Oba will find it extremely hard to insult someone who doesn't know the rules of the culture. What she doesn't know is that I don't care and won't take insult anyway. Only attacking the brothers will raise my ire and no female here would do that to three very eligible bachelors.

"It adds a sense of home," Oba replied.

"Oh." Alex smiled outwardly as well. "We don't need that. As long as we are with each other, we are home. That's the life of a Guardian."

Chew on that one, Oba.

"What should I offer you to drink?" Alex continued to smile.

"In the morning, we take tea," Oba said curtly. "After noon, both tea and wine are offered."

"I'll remember that." Alex was perfectly happy to take instruction.

At least this Oba is more civil than Rake. On the outside, anyway.

"Alex! Can you...oh, excuse me, Headwife Oba." Cale said with all courtesy and he bowed. "May I help you?"

So, Gaza had sent his wife to inspect things. Or maybe she came on her own.

Alex memorized her face.

"No thank you. I was about to leave." Oba raked Alex with a searing glare before turning and walking out.

Cale watched until Oba was out of sight. "How did it go?" he asked.

"I think she tried to insult me several times. All minor stuff, so I didn't rise to the bait."

Rile flipped up the tent flap. "Was that Dragon Lady Oba I saw leaving here?"

"Rile," Cale chided.

Rile, used to his brothers' chastisement, shrugged it off and walked over to Alex. "Are you missing any limbs? I see you still have both eyes, so she didn't scratch them out."

Alex grinned and tugged Rile close for a kiss. "Limbs intact, and yes, that was Oba. Easier to take than Rake, though."

Rile leaned in, pressing a delicate kiss to Alex's lips before squeezing her tightly. He buried his muzzle in the crook of her neck and left a whisper of kisses there, then tenderly ran his claws along her back. "This was only the evaluation. She'll start launching her attacks now," he murmured against Alex's skin.

Alex shivered at the sensation and felt herself lean into his hug. "Only if she can find me," she said with a weak chuckle. "I'm sure there will be an urgent need for me to fly sweeps whenever she comes within my visual range."

"A tactical retreat would be prudent," Cale said, his expression brimming with amusement.

"Let her have it," Rile replied as he ran the tips of his claws through Alex's hair. "She needs a good dressing down." He gave Alex one last squeeze before releasing her and exchanging a knowing look with Cale — a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Cale, still smiling indulgently at them, said, "Easy for you to say, Rile. You know Gabe will catch hell if Alex misbehaves,"

"I hate all this cultural crap." Alex sat down. "Can we return to hiding?"

***

A/N

Thoughts on Rake and Headwife Oba?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119 13 10
In a world where magic and love intertwine, Sorana and phoenix, a powerful sorceress and a heartless warrior from rival kingdoms find themselves draw...
303K 30.8K 59
Fearing for Will's life, Alex crosses the Rim to save him from the Rhean monarchy, but the dark truths awaiting her will make her question everything...
1.8K 61 14
[18+; Use an age indicator in YOUR BIO to confirm you're 18+ if you want to follow/comment or you'll be blocked for safety purposes] Lila moved to th...
10.5K 587 35
*** fantasy version.*** No one comes looking for a dead girl, as long as she stays dead. • • • Having finally escaped the vicious hands of the lif...