Saving Durin {Hobbit/Thorin}

By Patagonian

My following words of yore and spite may shock you to the very core. They acknowledge a fact known to few, a... More

Preface
Prologue
Chapter 1: Are they gray panties?
Chapter 2: When I went to Bree to pick up some ladies
Chapter 3: What did the squirrel say? Absolutely nothing.
Chapter 4: 'Cause circles are better than squares
Chapter 5: I am not a cougar, I am a Phoenix
Chapter 6: Cheater-cheater, pumpkin-eater
Chapter 7: That one time when I wasn't sarcastic
Chapter 8: Battle of the Sass
Chapter 9: He calls me savior, "That's not my name!"
Chapter 10: You can find me in the beard
Chapter 11: When in Rivendell, wear a dress
Chapter 12: A heart-to-heart
Chapter 13: The King of Remarkable Pigheadedness
Chapter 14: Gandalf, the satyr
Chapter 15: "One Doesn't Simply" charge Azog without back-up...oh wait..he did.
Chapter 16: When you have nothing else...you have him
Chapter 17: Let's play the question game
Chapter 18: Sleep-overs with orcs...my fave
Chapter 19: DWE...Dwarf Wrestling Entertainment
Chapter 20: That one Lilo and Stitch quote
Chapter 21: Push me one more time, I dare you
Chapter 22: Tea, anyone?
Chapter 23: Rapunzel brings out the best in me
Chapter 24: Leggy's chest hair
Chapter 25: Small-fry
Chapter 26: "King Thranduil is a pansy"
Chapter 27: Is that an olive or...?
Chapter 28: Bonding time with Thorin...and the Valar...in Bard's bathroom
Chapter 29: You can't hide when you're a walking glowstick
Chapter 30: Sorry, I can't hear you over that unibrow
Chapter 31: Saved by the Kili
Chapter 32: Thranduil, the oversized hobbit?
Chapter 33: Dwarf pilates
Chapter 34: He may be crazy, but he's my crazy
Chapter 35: Smaug dominates hide-and-go-seek
Chapter 36: What the heck is a jiffy?
Chapter 38: S.S. Dorkenshield
Chapter 39: Changing fate with Bilbo Baggins
Chapter 40: The dark days of Winter but Spring withheld
Chapter 41: What is Dain's name were you thinking?
Chapter 42: Return of the King
Chapter 43: Infatuation with underpants?
Chapter 44: TMI Gandalf
Chapter 45: The clock runs out
Chapter 46: When we had it all
Chapter 47: Saving Durin
Chapter 48: A love that's sacrificial
Chapter 49: Thorin goes to time-out
Chapter 50: Home is where the heart is
Chapter 51: "Never have I ever," dwarf style
Chapter 52: Knees high!
Chapter 53: Azog's jazz hands
Chapter 54: Ferudian and Kerudian? More like, death at Thorin's hands
Chapter 55: Mrs. Rapunzel
Chapter 56: King and Queen of PDA?
Chapter 57: A seriously long chapter
Chapter 58: 100% done with surprises
Chapter 59: Phoenician Queen? More like drama queen.
Chapter 60: The not-so-Lonely Mountain
Chapter 61: It's not a pink eyebrow, it's a sassy eyebrow
Chapter 62: The newest weight-loss diet...giving birth
Chapter 63: Let there be light
Chapter 64: Family Trees
Chapter 65: Epilogue
Question & Answer
An Extended Scene: I
Extended Scene 2
Extended Scene 3
Extended Scene 4: In honour of 100K
Additional Books

Chapter 37: Pirates of the Kili-bbean: Queen Rue's Revenge

4.2K 154 61
By Patagonian

Part III

Chapter 37:

Pirates of the Kili-bbean: Queen Rue's Revenge

featuring Capt-Oin Jack Sparrow, Captain Bar-Bofur,

Fill(i) Turner, Governor Phoenix, and Tauri(el) Dalma

Bells toll with the dripping of my tears. The rushed voices of the humans and hurried exclamations of parents radiate across the Lake, and into my ears. They are scared, and hopeless, just as I feel. But there is little I can do in this horrifying moment, for nothing compares to the power of a dragon's wings and my weapon of fire goes unhinged upon the dragon's scales. Anything I did to Smaug would just anger him more, which is worse for the people of Laketown.

And so I wait, with each chime of the bell, for the desolation to start under Smaug's mighty wings. I wait for the fire to lick the wooden structures of Laketown. I wait for the cries of the innocent children. I wait for the smoldering ruins. I wait for news of my brother's death. I am completely powerless, and that is frightening.

The rush to leave the city by the dilapidated and narrow canals, naturally brings about a log jam as Smaug finally reaches the town. They haven't had nearly enough time to escape, that is for certain, and I am obliged to blame the Master for that.

Smaug flies low over the town, his wings gliding effortlessly over the rooftops and clotheslines as the fire in his chest glows brighter by the second. People scream as he passes overhead though no danger has been posed on their lives as of yet. Just the sight of the mighty dragon puts fears into the heart of man, as well as any race. With Smaug's mile-wide wingspan, chest of fire, and razor-sharp teeth, he is the greatest fright one could dream of.

And then the fire starts...the fire I overcame hours ago in that deep tunnel of Erebor. The fire that left me unscatherd now kills humans in an instant. Smaug releases an inferno across the town, the light evident as it illuminates the dark night. The water on which Laketown hails does nothing to help its people. I can only imagine the pain that comes from the burn of dragon fire, and of the icy water of winter. With either the entrance into the flame or into the water, these people will face a harsh death of either burns or hypothermia. It must be a traumatizing sight.

As you can probably assume, the village falls into flames very quickly, with everything made of wood and cloth in the poor town. With my brilliant eyesight, I notice the glittering of gold from one of the canals, signalling the Master's presence in this mess. If I was any less humane, I would hope for the Master's death by the inferno, but alas, I have a large heart that holds love even for the greediest and most vile creatures. In other words, Smaug.

The flames spewing from the mouth of Smaug are unending, as the dragon continues to unleash the fire as he swoops across the town in the large gliding of his wings. Never in my life have I ever scared away from the flames bound in my body, but at this instance, I feel pain in my bones. Never did I realize the pain this power could cause, never did I understand the feeling of a burn. Now I do. I feel the burns upon the hands and faces of these helpless children, the slow ache and bite of fire.

It's traumatizing to feel such a pain in my ribs, and on my skin, and in my heart. Just as I feel the desolation of Smaug, I feel the desire to never touch fire again. It's destructive in all forms, heart-breaking to witnesses, and soul-destroying to the individual. I am terrified of my own power, scared to burn anyone ever again. I am scarred by an event I only witnessed and heard.

A figure hopping across the rooftops draws my attention away from my thoughts. The tall man, probably Bard, crosses his way through the town, avoiding the flames and bearing a bow in his hand. I can only hope he possesses the rare black arrow, or his whole plan of rescue shall fail miserably in his death.

"Poor souls," Balin says from behind me, alerting me to the whole company's presence. Turning about, I look into the eyes of all my companions, seeing the pain they feel at such desolation. The older dwarves, once dwellers of Erebor, seem to exist in the past with such a sight. The younger dwarves and Bilbo just look heart-broken at what we have caused.

Thorin, however, does not seem to mind the whole destruction he has caused, as he gazes upon the halls of Erebor. I scowl at his ignorance, yet recognize the dragon-sickness in his eyes, before turning back to watch the pain lash around in Laketown. It may not be the best idea to watch the scene, yet I know I must in order to grow.

That's when the bell stops its incessant tolling, bringing us the lone sound of licking flames and screams. Looking to the bell tower, I notice Bard shoot arrows at the dragon, each one bouncing harmlessly off his chest. Nevertheless, he continues to exhaust his arrow supply as they bounce harmlessly off the impenetrable scales of the dragon. I shake my head at the ignorance of men.

Bard falls over with a gust of wind that Smaug brings upon him just as Bain arrives to help his father. I gape at the younger boy, wondering what drove him to such measures, before I recognize the black arrow resting in the palm of his hand. My mouth hangs open as I gasp at the chance to end Smaug once and for all, and I know Bard is the only man who can do it.

Smaug, being the witty dragon he is, recognizes where the arrows are coming from, swiping his wing down to take off the top of the bell tower. Both Bard and Bain go flying, though they recover as Smaug lands upon the burning shacks of peasants. The man and dragon seem to have a conversation, avoiding my ears, as Smaug strides closer to the bargman. All the while, Bard prepares his makeshift bow, stringing the black arrow onto its fragile and taut string. He maneuvers Bain into a firing position as Smaug moves faster towards the father and son. My breath slows to a stop as the mighty foes come to what I hope is their final encounter.

And it is. Bard's shot flies through smoky air before planting itself under the wing of the old dragon. Smaug gasps, pain radiating in his stance and across his dangerous eyes, before falling forward into the town. The belltower, with Bard and Bain still residing in it, follows the path of other buildings, into the water, as Smaug's massive body slides forward in the last moments of life. In a last ditch effort, he launches his cold body into the sky, flapping his wings for the last time before falling back to earth. His screams and wheezing infiltrates my eardrums as he falls on Laketown, arrow in his heart. The sound of impact crashes through the company's ears, signalling the last sound that Smaug will ever make. We all gape in silence at the calmed town, which was in a frenzy just moments ago.

"What was that? What happened?" Oin asks, jumping to his feet to look upon the the dead body of our dragon. I turn away from the sorrowing, yet beautiful sight as Bilbo does the same.

"It fell. I saw it," Bilbo replies as the sun peeks its head over the eastern horizon. It is a new day, it would seem, as the night ends to highlight Smaug's true desolation. The sky of pink, orange, and purple shines in comparison to the smouldering ruins I thought of just hours ago. It is as I pictured, bodies littering the streets and smothered flames ruining lives, as the sun rises to greet our darkened faces.

And yet, it is not a sight to celebrate, for I can never forget that we caused this desolation, this pain. It will only tumble down from here. Our quest is far from over.

"It's dead. Smaug is dead," Bilbo mutters in shock. I can only expect that this surprise stems from seeing Smaug up close, as he is the company member who spoke intently in the dragon's presence. To Bilbo, the dragon will no longer loom over his head.

"By my beard! I think he's right! Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain!" Gloin exclaims. I roll my eyes, as the dwarves are always slow to accept Bilbo's words, no matter how far we have come on this journey. It is a strange sight to see, as birds flock into the Mountain just minutes after the fall of Smaug. It is as if they were waiting for decades just for this moment. But I take it as a sign, as so many birds see this place as home, I can only do the same.

"Aye - Word will spread. Before long every soul in Middle-earth will know - The dragon is dead!" Oin shouts, sending the dwarves into expressions of glee. However, as the company celebrates "our" victory, Thorin and I seem to come to a subconscious conclusion that this will bring unwanted attention to the homeland. I can only figure that Thorin worries for the treasure, while I worry about Azog's continued goal to kill Thorin. It is only a matter of time before we see the Pale Orc again.

The dwarves follow their king's rushed footsteps back into the Mountain, Bilbo and Sidel lingering a few steps behind. But I cannot take it any longer, not knowing if my brother lives. Jumping off the ruins at the entrance of Erebor, I shift into my aviary form before flying in the direction of Laketown's shores. As my stomach brushes the glassy waters of the lake, I hear the screams of families and crying of infants. My flapping wings sends ripples out on the water while my eyes ghost over the dead bodies washed up on shore. The wooden buildings of Laketown no longer stand tall, the floorboards only painted in existence.

At my glowing approach, the people of Laketown look up from their desolation to look upon me. Faces of shock and awe meet my eyes as I land upon the wet beach, littered with death and fire. Before I can even shift back, the humans surround me in large numbers, shouting out exclamations of wonder and desperation. It is Tilda, though, that draws my attention from the landscape.

"Are you here to help us?" she whispers, pushing through the crowds to join my side. In response, I fly off shore a bit before transforming and falling back into the water, which reaches up to my knees. I shiver at the contact, moving back to the amazed humanity.

"I am here to help in any way I can, but, if I may, please let me find my brother first," I address them. They stare but nod silently as I move through them to find my companions and Typhon. The men disperse at my touch, returning to their pillaging and burying of loved ones.

Given my short stance, I do not see the company members until I am practically upon them. I run into the back of Typhon, who turns about in shock. Looking up, we recognize the haggard faces of one another, falling into an embrace of such comfort and happiness. We sit there, for possibly minutes, as we remind ourselves that we both are alive. Pulling away from my brother, I embrace both Kili, who is unsurprisingly healed, and Fili. Oin sends me a smile while Bofur jumps into my arms. I laugh at him, hugging him back before turning to see Tauriel.

The elf sits near the trees facing the shore, helping some humans pack their things. I approach her side, taking a seat as we work together to prepare this family for a journey. Minutes, and possibly hours, pass in silence as we move from one family to the next, aiding as many people as we can. No words are exchanged until it comes upon noon, and I must prepare to leave with the company.

"You love Kili," I address her for the first time. She seems to be at peace, only looking up to meet my eyes now. I have noticed her strength and wisdom as we have worked together this morning, conversing with the locals and leaders.

"I d--" she begins to say before I cut her off.

"That wasn't a question," I say, grinning at her. She scoffs at me, turning back to the blankets she is folding. I laugh at her flushed expression, knowing what it is like to talk about these things. After all, I went through this with Thorin just months ago.

"Given this new situation, which I fully support, by the way, I feel it necessary to warn you of the future," I address her seriously, causing her eyes to fall upon mine once again. "What you are doing, right here, is a rerun of fate. You have done all this before, folding and packing and such, after Smaug's original desolation. The Valar, something that both you and I believe in, reset the clock from sixty years in the future so as to achieve the desired fate of Erebor and its royalty. You see, Thorin and his nephews died in the original progression of this 'story,' if you will, leaving Dain of the Iron Mountains to inherit the throne. From what I understand, Erebor fell to cruelty and corruption under his rule, prompting the Valar to repeat the past, starting at this quest.

I was not an original part of the company, but I am in this turn of fate. It is my job to save Durin in four days, meaning I must give up myself in order to save Thorin, Fili, and Kili. However, nothing is guaranteed and I may fail in saving them. I will do all I can, but you must understand that Kili may die. Thus, I urge you to appreciate this time you have with the dwarf prince. He might just be gone by the breaking of the fifth morning."

Tauriel, with my progression of words, falls into a greater state of disarray and shock. Her face of perfect elven features switches around to look at Kili who waits patiently at our boat. He, seeing her state of disrepair, furrows his eyebrows and goes to move before Fili pulls him away. Tauriel looks back at me, with the same expression, before nodding and turning away. I watch as she approaches Legolas, talking to him softly, through the wails of the humans.

I rise to my small feet, turning about to watch the surreal Lake and those wading in its shallows. Following the trail of dwarf feet, I fall into line with the other company members who ready themselves for departure on the cold morning. I feel no guilt leaving this place, as I have helped all the people I can. I may have released Smaug onto their borders, but I have helped them pick up the scraps of their lives with the promise to help them rebuild Dale. Bard is thankful for my presence, as the new leader, even giving me a hug in response to my help.

The males of our small group push the boat into the Laketown waters of ice, blood, and fire. Kili pulls away from them, seeing Tauriel's approach with a saddened face. It is obvious that the two are in love, as they gaze into each other's eyes with adoration. I smile at them, though I yearn for that from Thorin, who has fallen to insanity.

"Tauriel," Kili says as she kneels down in front of him so they are eye level. I know their conversation is personal, but I cannot help myself from listening in as I want to protect their happiness.

"Kili, come on! We're leaving," Fili shouts from behind me as he stands in the shadows. Typhon jabs him in the ribs with his elbow, as my brother instinctively knows of what's going on. Fili grunts under the hit, turning away with a huff.

"They are your people - You must go," Tauriel responds, her eyes tearing up though she tries to hide her emotions. It's a look I know well, as it commonly appears on my own face in times of trouble. Her eyes leave his as she walks past him, leaving Kili with a saddened expression. But that is not enough for the young dwarf, as he turns around to face her again.

"Come with me. I know how I feel; I'm not afraid. You make me feel alive," Kili begs in a cliche way that makes me laugh. Neither elf nor dwarf turns to look at me, still lost in the other's eyes. Tauriel breaks the contact again as she turns her head away.

"I can't," she says, probably thinking of her duty to the Elven King and prince. Kili, apparently, will not take "no," as an answer, grabbing her arm to keep her by his side.

"Tauriel, amralime {Tauriel, my love}," Kili whispers. I gape at him, knowing the significance of his words from experience: on more than one occasion, and usually when he did something dumb, Thorin addressed me with these words. The pain in my heart returns with these memories and as I remember Thorin's current state.

"I don't know what that means," Tauriel says in shock, though her eyes show that she does. Her eyes trail to mine for a millisecond, as I nod at her to act now. In that second, she seems to come to a decision that I hope includes Kili.

"I think you do," Kili replies. At his words, the two lean into each other, eyes searching the other pair before falling int0 a kiss. I turn away to give them privacy, noticing a fuming Legolas in the background. He looks up at my gaze, prompting me to do a jig in victory with a grin on my face. His mouth falls open in shock as the dwarf and elf pull away. My eyes return to rest on the couple as Legolas approaches in a hurry.

"Hîr nín, Legolas {My Lord Legolas}," Tauriel addresses him, her eyes still locked on Kili's. I glare over their shoulders at Legolas, who looks at the two in disgust.

"Maewado i Naug {Take your leave of the Dwarf}," he commands of her. "You are needed elsewhere." I scoff at these words as we have helped the entire population of Laketown this morning and Thranduil ought to learn how to do stuff for himself. At the elf prince's words, Kili draws his rune stone from his pocket and places it in Tauriel's hand in what I assume to be a promise. She never leaves his eyes, but gasps a bit at the stone. He pulls her hands over his heart and she smiles on him.

"I am needed here," Tauriel responds to Legolas without looking away from Kili. My eyes drift away from the couple to rest upon the shocked Legolas. I laugh at his wondrous expression, as Kili breaks into laughter as well. Tauriel joins us, though in more shock at her actions, before rising to her full height and looking at the awaiting boat.

The dwarves behind us look confused as Typhon smiles knowingly. I grab Tauriel and Kili's hands, pulling them towards the boat and into the water as the dwarves now sputter in realization.

"Ondalay, my companions! All aboard the S.S. Dorkenshield!" I shout in excitement, climbing over the bow of the ship and pulling the couple with me. The whole group laughs at me, breaking the tension derived from Tauriel's presence. Typhon and Bofur take to the oars, sending us out on the chilly Lake and towards the Mountain.

"Bon voyage, Lego-lass," I shout, standing up in the small boat and turning about to face the still-gaping Legolas before raising my favorite finger at him. With the joy I feel in my heart, born from the new female's presence and the eradication of my guilt, I throw my head back in laughter. My new family joins in with me as we wave to the gathered Laketown crowds and scowl at the elf on shore. As the boat falls farther away into the distance, I turn back around to look upon my safe companions and brother. They smile up at me, Kili more radiantly as he now sits by Tauriel's side, bearing a cheeky smile.

"So, cousins yet?" he asks for the thousandth time on this journey. Given that I have threatened him on multiple occasion over these words and that he is now recovered from his poisoning, I decide to take action. Lunging towards him, I throw my arms out, into his chest, effectively launching him over the side of the row boat. The dwarves erupt into laughter as Kili breaks the surface, sputtering and growling at me. Tauriel looks a bit confused, but smiles nonetheless.

"You may think of us as weird, freaky even, but we are a family, these dwarves, Phoenicians, wizard, and hobbit. You are part of that too now, and I will protect you with my own life, even in Thorin's anger," I say, turning around to face the elf. She looks at me with a multitude of emotions shining in her eyes, but grabs my hand in what seems to be a "thank you." We smile at each other, acknowledging our future companionship as we row steadily on, bow against the current, and waves lapping at our steadfast sides. That's what family's for, after all, breaking away the troubles of life with the hope and love for one another.

And so we sail across the lake, away from the Desolation of Smaug and towards a fight, great enough to be deemed the Battle of the Five Armies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay, first chapter of The Battle of the Five Armies! As you can see, things are already moving away from the movie script....in this case, mostly because Tauriel is absolutely fantastic and I love her.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day! Please vote and comment!

xo

Patagonian

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.4K 3.1K 52
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
1.9M 86K 194
"Oppa", she called. "Yes, princess", seven voices replied back. It's a book about pure sibling bond. I don't own anything except the storyline.
196K 4.1K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
601K 18.2K 75
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...