Dolls

By leliawrites

(COMPLETED) In a world where women are made to serve men by pleasure alone, the "Best-Looker" in each family... More

dolls
lace it up
meet me in the middle
men and women
your jawline
not the same anymore
one last time
choose... choose...
you will be my queen
i do
d:o:l:l:s
still on a pedestal
god and teeth
wading into darkness
bunny
six
three
zero
s
be a lady
they said
lightning
once again
for all
take
ask
shoot your shot
i said no.
give up
hold on, even if i hate you
i want you to lie
watch me
my dear antony
cant slow down
champagne
start
ventilation
patch the line
red gold and green
romans 8:38-39
dove
covenant of stars
still on a pedestal .2
to be on show
king of dreams
bondage
river of blood
milk and honey
annunciation
deflowered
rebirth
a temple's listeners
break of dawn
violet hour
garden of blood
judas
silver coated blame
deny, deny, deny
pontius pilate
all against two
falling once, twice, thrice
cast your lots
crown of thorns
nailed hands
nailed feet
eclipse
temple veil
weeping mother
sour wine
crucifixion
bend, don't break
third day
resurrection
may her will be done
acknowledgements
read on!

epilogue

138 12 7
By leliawrites

Sybella

"...And don't tell your mother."

I shift the phone to my shoulder so I can listen to his voice as I fold my laundry. Mama must be in the bathroom since they are both shopping in town while I clean up the house.

"I know, Dad," I say with a smile. "We have kept it a secret for this long; a few days will be nothing."

I hear a crinkle, like he is picking up something in plastic. "I know. I just want her to be happy."

I had no doubt he did. Dad—Hayes adapted to all my endearments for him since I refused to use the same name I did for my birth father—loved my mother. The past ten years of my life proved that. He made sure she woke up every day and knew how loved she was. And never let her worry about doing anything other than living the life she wanted.

Mama had rough days. All of us did. But she was so happy.

"She is. And she will love it," I assure him.

Ten years ago, Mama almost died. My father killed himself trying to kill her. And the world as we knew it turned upside down.

Luke became president. They set term limits for the presidential role, established a House beside the Senate, and outlawed Choosing Ceremony. They legalized all work for women, changed education standards, and allowed them to attend university. They are now able to vote, and the age to run for president was raised.

Basically, women are equal in the eyes of the law, and they have done everything to avoid another Luther of House Shies.

Even now, adjustments are still being made. Men who hate women still make noise, but it gets quieter every day. With the Equality Acts in place, by the time I get into the workforce, I think everything will be okay.

I carry the basket of laundry to my closet. "What time will you be home?"

"We have one more shop she wants to go to. We can get dinner on our way back if you want?" He asks.

"Sure. Whatever Mama wants."

"Always." I can hear him light up, like he always does when he sees my mother. "She just got out of the bathroom. See you soon, Bells."

"Bye, Dad. Love you."

"More than my life."

He hangs up. I smile to myself. He and Mama say it to me whenever we say, "I love you." I never heard it from my birth father, so he makes sure I know how much he loves me. It is one of the many reasons I consider him my dad.

Once all of the laundry is put away, I check my phone for any updates from Uncle Cormen. Everything seems to be ready to go for this weekend, but you never know. A storm might show up, a photographer may be sick. But nothing. Good. It will be a perfect day honoring my mother.

For her heroic bravery and beautiful speech fighting for women's rights, President Toby is dedicating a statue to commemorate the tenth anniversary since the battle has been won to Mama. In addition to that, they are beginning a foundation with the goal of furthering the fight for equality—not just in our country, but the entire world.

The Coria Camore-Bauer Foundation.

This weekend is the unveiling, and Mama has no idea. I think she knows something is up,—she always does, no matter what it is—but she is unsure of what it is exactly. Even Aunt Elane is sworn to secrecy, which is difficult for her to do since she and Mama call every day and have weekly wine nights (sometimes mixed with weed, but you didn't hear that from me). But no one has spilled the beans, not even little Adelaide Coria. It makes this weekend even more exciting.

If anyone deserves it, it's Mama. She is my hero, and I will never forget how she has protected me since birth.

I could only dream of being half the mother she was to me.

I have heard many of the stories about how my mother acted while she was married to the man who sired me, but I never once felt unloved by her. And so, while some people may have judged my mother's actions and considered her childish, she loved me. She cared for me. And I could not have asked for a better mother.

A little while later, I hear the garage door open, announcing the arrival of my parents. I hop up from the couch, passing by the paw print and picture of my childhood dog, Thunder. My first best friend. I miss him tons, but I know he is still here in spirit.

Mama is laughing about something as she walks in the house, carrying a small bag in her hand. Behind her, Dad has the bigger bags, a soft smile on his face as he watches her. She turns her head and spots me, and her smile grows wider.

"Hi, honey," She says, drawing me in for a hug. She inhales deep, her hands pressing against my back, one right over my heartbeat. She does it every time. Dad says it's because the few days I was up at the cabin with Uncle Cormen and Aunt Elane, she was told I was dead. She likes to remind herself that I am alive.

We all made it. We get to be happy.

Mama kisses my temple and then moves over so Dad can hug me. He places down the bags and does just that, kissing the crown of my head. Just before Mama tries to grab the bags, he scoops them all up to take them up to their room.

"Insufferable," She mutters.

"Love you, too," He calls back, moseying up the stairs. She playfully rolls her eyes before huffing a laugh, turning back to ms.

"How was shopping?" I ask, following her back to the living room. She longingly looks at Thunder's picture before sitting down.

"Good. Hayes took me to that dress shop," She replies. "Said I needed something new. Lord knows why."

"He is Dad," I comment. "That is just how he rolls."

Even though established religion was brought into our country, Mama never took up with it. She prays sometimes. For my grandma, mainly, and my late Auntie Jenna. She does not pray for my grandpa—either—who both died when I was little. But it gave the world a new name to swear to.

"True." She sighs. "Anyway, your aunt called, and she wanted to know if you were bringing anyone to the wedding."

I scrunch my nose. "Who would I bring? I'm not that far into high school."

"Well, I said that. And then I also said that since you were in the wedding party and Selene would be there, you would be plenty entertained, but she said she just wanted to ask. Told Hayes that you might already be dating."

"How did Dad react to that?"

"He did that quiet, broody thing he does when he gets mad. Then told her to remove his name off the guest list. Classic things."

I smile. "Classic Dad."

Aunt Belle is getting married in a few months. She met her fiancée a few years after working in the capital for President Luke. Belle and Jane are super cute together, and now that same-sex marriages are legal, they have decided to make things official with a big ceremony.

I get to be a bridesmaid, along with Mama and a few of Belle's friends. Her man of honor is Rowan Faraday, who helped her get out of her father's house when she was my age. It will be a pretty wedding.

Mama and I continue talking, and a while later, Dad comes downstairs on a phone call. He gets started on dinner while we decide on a movie to watch later. By the time they bid me goodnight hours later and I climb into bed with a book, my heart feels as full as it can get.

Everything is where it should be.

And I am grateful for each and every second.

———
Mama grew more beautiful as she got older.

She aged with grace, crow lines dancing around her eyes when she laughs, smile lines creasing her skin when she smiles.

She does that so much now, and Aunt Elane has told me it was not always like that. When she had a miscarriage, when she had to give my brother up, when her mama died, she was sad. But now her life is full of laughter.

She looks stunning in the dress Dad got for her, being led to an event she has no idea is even going on. She has a touch of makeup on, earrings hanging from her ears, and has heels on. Some things never change.

Dad leads her into where I am waiting, and she lets out a gasp when she sees me. "Sy, honey, you look beautiful!"

"Thanks, Mama," I say.

"Are you going to tell me what is happening today? I swear there are no birthdays or anniversaries I am missing." Knowing her, she would hate if she missed anything.

"Sorry, Mama. It is a surprise," I reply.

"Ugh. This is the schtick with you two. So many surprises, never any answers," She sighs, looping her arm through my dad's.

We all head out, and it makes my heart beat faster as we get closer to the festivities. Cars are lined along the road, all here for the unveiling of the statue and foundation. My cheeks hurt from smiling, but I cannot bring myself to stop. It feels impossible to do so.

Mama goes quiet as we near the capital, a realization seeming to dawn on her. She turns to Dad and says, "Am I supposed to make another speech?"

Dad chuckles, thumb running over the back of her hand. "No, sweetheart. Not that."

"Why are we here then?"

"Patience, baby. Patience."

Mama keeps trying to get us to talk until she gives up in the parking garage, where Belle stands with President Toby, who has a smile on his face. He is one of the original men Mama put into the Senate, and it still blows my mind she was able to do something like that. Like I keep saying: my hero.

"What is going on?" Mama asks, and this time, Dad answers.

"Ten years ago, I almost lost you," Dad begins, and I remain quiet in the back seat. I remember seeing her in the hospital, hurt and weak in a bed. It terrified me. My mother was a strong, unbreakable woman. But she looked broken with all those tubes.

He continues, "It was... unimaginable to think we might have never seen your spark again. I have been so lucky to love you, to be lucky enough to be shown that spark. And that is why I want others to know how beautiful that spark is. Bells?"

I hand Mama the article I printed out that lists what is going to be revealed in her honor today. She reads it over, wiping her cheeks from the tears trickling down her face.

"You deserve this, Coria," Dad tells her, making sure she sees him. "More than anyone. And all these people know you do and that is why they are here to celebrate you, to thank you. Thank you for being as brave as you were."

She grasps onto his hand, then reaches for mine. She whispers, "Thank you. Thank you both. I am just as lucky, if not more, to have this. Thank you."

"Love you, Mama. More than my own life," I say.

A few minutes later, we all climb out of the car. Belle and I wave at each other while Toby shakes Mama's hand, a wide smile on his face.

"Welcome," He greets. "I am so honored to have you here today. And might I say, congratulations for the honor, and incredibly well deserved."

"Thank you. It is definitely a surprise."

"A good one I hope."

"Definitely."

"Well then, why wait? Let's head on in for the festivities."

Mama heads in with the president, quickly hugging Aunt Belle. Dad walks with me and Belle, and she puts an arm around my shoulders. We head into the capital, staff and security nodding their heads at us as we pass. Belle pokes fun at Dad for the dating comment she made a few days ago, but he just grunts in amused annoyance. We chat quietly as Mama and Toby talk in front of us, and I can tell Mama is still taking it all in.

However, when we reach our location, and she sees all the people the giant crowd waiting for her, I think it has sunk in.

She surveys the crowd, swallowing. She reaches out for me, and I take her hand. She pulls me close, a hand on my heartbeat, and I wrap my arms around her torso.

"No speech?" She whispers.

"No, Mama," I whisper. "They just want to say thank you."

She takes a deep breath. I tell her, "You can do it, Mama. I will be right next to you. Dad, too."

She takes another second, then looks at Toby. She dips her chin once. And then he nods to his security, and they open the doors. Immediately, the crowd starts cheering, and we all walk out. Mama waves at everyone, keeping a hold on me, and I ground her.

Toby walks us down to the statue where a podium and small stage face the crowd. They direct our family to the seats on the stage as Toby steps up the microphone.

"Today, we all are here to celebrate an incredible woman who was a pioneer in fighting for women's rights. Coria Camore-Bauer taught us what it meant to fight from the inside. Ten years ago, she completed her battle, almost giving her life in the process. But she won. She put men in the Senate to help the rebellion, passed messages on, and stayed true to herself until the end. Even now, she is revered in the history books and to mothers all across the world. Faced with an impossible battle, and still managed to come out on top.

"However, we know our fight is not the only one. We know there is work still left to be done. So, it is with my great honor to announce the Coria Camore-Bauer Foundation: the non-profit organization dedicated to end sexism all across the world. With an all-woman board, we will continue to support women in this country and others, continuing to work against the evils of sexism in order to create a better world for our children. Future generations will know love, peace, and support, whether they are women, or members of the LGBTQ community, or young boys still shackled by the patriarchy. All of this, we do in mind of Coria's mission, which will inspire every action the foundation does.

"To help remind my actions, and any actions of future presidents, I would now like to present a statue dedicated to Coria: a bronze sculpture depicting Coria sitting with her daughter, Sybella, who inspired her to take up the fight."

The cloth is pulled away, and there it is in all its glory. It depicts Mama, younger, sitting with an infant me in her lap, smiling at each other. Mama gasps beside me, tears welling in her eyes, and she pulls me close again.

"Thank you, Coria, for what you have done for us all. We will continue to carry on your mission, long after you leave us. Thank you. We will honor you forever."

The crowd roars, and everyone claps around us. Mama stands, smiling and crying, and hugs Toby. She thanks him, then thanks the crowd, and we all go view the statue.

Mama traces the lines of our faces with the tips of her fingers. Dad hugs her, whispering in her ear, and all the love in the air at these moments makes my chest clench. I love my parents. I love them so much. And I will never stop being grateful for all that they have done.

At the celebration after the ceremony, Mama sees so many people she knows, and I get to hang out with Selene. As we chat, I notice Mama greeting former house staff, including Josie.

Josie is a lot older than she was when she raised me. I hardly remember her, but I know younger me was fond of her. Mama and she will never be as friendly as they were, but they have an amicable relationship. I still see her every once in a while, but I think she sees too much of my mother in me. She has a hard time being loving around me like when I was younger.

The whole day is wonderful, and Mama smiles all day. We go home just before the sun sets, and I rush upstairs to change out of my clothes. When I head back downstairs, I hear music playing from the back deck. Curious, I follow the sound, and when I see it, I stop and smile.

In the glow of the sunset, Mama and Hayes slow dance to their favorite song, eyes closed. They are both smiling, her head on his chest, and his chin resting on hers. Mama's ring glints in the light, and I watch silently, happily, as they dance.

In the glow of the sunset, they dance.

In the glow of the sunset, they kiss.

In the glow of the sunset, the little pink corset my mother wore in another life is forgotten...

...and a beautiful thing grows instead.

The End

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 13.5K 19
"YOU ARE MINE TO KEEP OR TO KILL" ~~~ Kiaan and Izna are like completely two different poles. They both belong to two different RIVAL FAMILIES. It's...
395K 33K 16
Indian Chronicles Book III My Husband, My Tyrant. When Peace Becomes Suffocation. Jahnvi Khanna has everything in her life, a supporting family, a hi...
366K 22.9K 20
๐’๐ก๐ข๐ฏ๐š๐ง๐ฒ๐š ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฑ ๐‘๐ฎ๐๐ซ๐š๐ค๐ฌ๐ก ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ~By ๐Š๐š๐ฃ๐ฎ๊จ„๏ธŽ...
286K 24K 15
MY Creditor Side Story แ€•แ€ซแ‹ Parallel Universe แ€žแ€˜แ€ฑแ€ฌแ€™แ€ปแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ธแ€•แ€ผแ€”แ€บแ€•แ€ผแ€ฎแ€ธ Creation แ€œแ€ฏแ€•แ€บแ€‘แ€ฌแ€ธแ€แ€ฌแ€™แ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท main story แ€”แ€ฒแ€ท แ€™แ€žแ€€แ€บแ€†แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€•แ€ฒ แ€กแ€›แ€„แ€บ character แ€€แ€ญแ€ฏ แ€›แ€žแ€กแ€žแ€…แ€บ แ€แ€…แ€บแ€™แ€ปแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ธแ€”แ€ฒ...