Yearning | Hogwarts Legacy

By smile_arigatou

Hogwarts 1891. Sabrina Pryor-Lewis, the resilient daughter. Ominis Gaunt, the earnest heir. Sebastian Sallow... More

Author's Note
Chapter One : Welcome Home
Chapter Two : First Day of Class
Chapter Three : Potions Class
Chapter Four : Quidditch Tryouts
Chapter Five : Electives
Chapter Six : Missing
Chapter Seven : Ache
Chapter Eight : Siblings
Chapter Ten : The Gaunt Family
Chapter Eleven : Broken Promises
Chapter Twelve : Helping
Chapter Thirteen : The Auror
Chapter Fourteen : Wise Men Say
Chapter Fifteen : Only Fools Rush In
Chapter Sixteen : Away From Prying Eyes
Chapter Seventeen : Small Victories
Chapter Eighteen : Slytherin vs Gryffindor
Chapter Nineteen : Truths
Chapter Twenty : Dark Magic
Chapter Twenty-One : The Dragons and The Unicorns
Chapter Twenty-Two: Sebastian Thomas
Chapter Twenty-Three : Fistful of Roses
Chapter Twenty-Four : Burning Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Five : Change In The Winds
Chapter Twenty-Six : Losing Game
Chapter Twenty-Seven : Rookwood
Chapter Twenty-Eight : Yearning
Chapter Twenty-Nine : I Want You...
Chapter Thirty : Reunion
Chapter Thirty-One : The Den of Serpents
Chapter Thirty-Two: Cross My Heart
Chapter Thirty-Three : Hope To Die
Chapter Thirty-Four : Strength
Chapter Thirty-Five: Falbarton Castle
Chapter Thirty-Six: Storm of Ice and Truth
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Let It Hurt
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Auld Lang Syne
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Play With Fire
Chapter Forty: Ominis Lucian
Chapter Forty-One: Observation
Chapter Forty-Two: Hate
Chapter Forty-Three: Bananas
Chapter Forty-Four: I Wanna Be Yours
Chapter Forty-Five : Raising Hell
Authors Note
Chapter Forty-Six: Snakes and Eagles
Chapter Forty-Seven: Changes
Epilogue
Author's Final Thoughts
Up Next....
It's Only The Beginning....
*Extra* Yearning Bloopers

Chapter Nine : Living In A Mad World

412 16 36
By smile_arigatou

Walking into the Great Hall that Saturday morning was almost like walking into a party. Everyone was so excited about the exhibition Quidditch matches that nearly every older student had gone above and beyond to decorate their robes and clothes in support of their Hogwarts houses. Some students had even painted their faces or colored their hair in excitement.

Quidditch players walking in wearing their jerseys and sweaters were treated almost like gods, and suddenly Anne had never felt more claustrophobic.

Anne and Sebastian had decided to walk in together wearing their emerald and silver Quidditch sweaters and brown trousers, opting to change into their jerseys once they reached the pitch later in the morning. Even so, they were bombarded with attention and excitement from the moment they walked in for breakfast, and it took twice as long to reach their table than normal..

"I'm sorry," Sabrina said when they finally got to sit down. She was also wearing her knitted sweater in support. "I've been trying to tell the younger Slytherins to leave, but they all didn't want to listen."

"It's fine," Sebastian groaned as he grabbed some bacon before shoving it in his mouth with hardly any manners.

Anne instead grabbed her goblet and downed her pumpkin juice in a single gulp. She was still feeling jittery and uneasy from the interrogation the day before, and she almost felt like she was going to be sick.

When she tried to drink a second goblet of juice, Sebastian took it from her hands. "Calm down," he whispered. "You can't play when you're hyped up on sugar."

"Watch me," Anne snapped before grabbing a sausage with her fork. "What the hell was I thinking? Me joining a quidditch team? It makes sense for you, but me—"

"Anne, you're going to be great!" Sabrina encouraged. "You are a wonderful flier. I've never seen a game played before, so I'm looking forward to it."

Sebastian nudged his sister. "Relax. This is just for fun."

Anne wanted to laugh. Relax? How could she possibly relax when all she heard in her head was Imelda yelling and ranting about how incompetent the Slytherin team was? Or how, even though Anne had caught the practice snitch a million times, she still felt like the worst player they had? What if she didn't catch the snitch? What if she never even saw it before the other team? What was I thinking?

She was forced out of her thoughts suddenly when a small explosion erupted at the Slytherin table not far from where the three of them were sitting. When the group looked up, they saw that a second year Slytherin girl was now covered in her breakfast porridge, and a group of Gryffindor boys were standing nearby laughing hysterically at her.

Anne recognized the girl immediately by her blonde hair and silver eyes, and she felt bad when she saw the child was just sitting there in shock with her eyes on the brink of tears. Before she could get up, Sabrina was already on her feet and approaching the girl.

"Does Sabrina know who that is?" Anne asked her brother.

Sabrina sat down and held out a handkerchief to the child before beginning to try and wipe some porridge off her pale face. A few seconds later, a dark skinned second year Hufflepuff boy had joined them to help along with another second year Slytherin girl.

Sebastian shrugged. "I don't think so. I don't think she had many interactions with Corvina last year, and she avoided Verena like the plague."

Seeing Corvina Gaunt upset reminded Anne painfully of Ominis when he was her age, and how often he had been bullied just because of his appearance and his family name. Corvina even looked like Ominis when he was that age. Ominis had been an easy target because of his lack of eyesight and confidence, and now it seemed Corvina was suffering almost the same fate.

Anne looked back up at Sebastian. "Does Ominis know his sister's getting bullied?"

Sebastian frowned. "Doubt it."

Sabrina said something to Corvina, who meekly nodded back before she stood up. A moment later, Corvina was walking out of the Great Hall with the Hufflepuff boy and the Slytherin girl to get cleaned up. Sabrina got up and joined her friends again, meeting their gaze. "What?"

"Do you know who that is?" Sebastian asked. "That's Corvina, Ominis' younger sister."

Sabrina nodded, but didn't seem surprised. "I wondered. She looks like her brother."

Anne frowned. "She's so small too. It's too bad she has to go through this."

"Maybe if Ominis would step up and be a brother, she wouldn't have to," Sebastian spoke in between bites of food.

Sabrina looked up then, and a second later she was back on her feet. "I'll meet you at the Quidditch game." Before she could say anything, she was gone.

Ominis sat down with the twins a moment later. "Good morning."

Anne scoffed silently. Great, now Sabrina's avoiding him too.

It felt like the entire school had crowded into the large Quidditch stands. The noise was almost deafening, and it only made Anne more nervous.

She did, however, love how she looked in her brand new Slytherin jersey. The emerald striped silk robes shimmered in the sunlight, and it hardly felt like Anne was wearing anything at all. It fit perfectly over the rest of her uniform, and she felt a slight warmth of pride when she saw the 'SALLOW 16' on the back. Sebastian had a near identical jersey, only his read 'SALLOW 11.'

Anne had just finished strapping on her arm and leg guards when Imelda gathered the team together. "I know I'm hard on you," she began. "But it's because I know we can be great. And just because this is an exhibition game does not mean we can take it easy. I expect the absolute best from every one of you."

"Do we know who we're playing?" Adrien Pucey asked.

Imelda shook her head. "Professor Kogawa said she'll announce it in front of everyone."

A few minutes later, the team watched from the locker room as Imelda approached the grounds with the other Quidditch captains. Madam Kogawa greeted them in the center, holding up a large bowl for everyone to see.

"We are going to draw from the bowl the first two teams to play!" Madam Kogawa announced. The stands filled with students got quiet in anticipation, waiting for the first team to be announced as the flying instructor stuck her hand into the bowl.

Anne looked up towards the stands. She saw a large sea of green, unable to tell anyone apart from where she stood. But she knew that Sabrina was up there waving her flag of support. Anne was hoping Ominis was with her, but had a feeling the blind boy still had his wand up his–

"RAVENCLAW!"

Everett Clopton raised his hand as the large group of Ravenclaw students exploded into excited screams. Anne looked towards where the Ravenclaw lockers were, and she thought she could almost see Aurelia Keene's auburn hair from where she stood.

Madam Kogawa reached back into the bowl, and the entire stadium held their breath as she pulled a slip out.

"SLYTHERIN!"

The crowd of Slytherins screamed louder than the Ravenclaws. The Quidditch team also cheered along, the excitement in the room growing infectious.

Anne felt her heart beat faster. Slytherin and Ravenclaw. The first game of the season. Birds against snakes.

Anne against Aurelia.

Before they began playing, the players from each team were instructed to come and face their equivalent player and shake hands in a friendly show of sportsmanship. When Anne approached Aurelia, she noticed that the girl looked quite nervous. Aurelia held her hand out. "May the best Seeker win."

Anne looked at the girls' hand before she extended her arm. Aurelia's hand was warm and clammy, which told the Slytherin that Aurelia was just as nervous about this as she was. "How about we make a bet?"

Aurelia's eyebrows raised. "Oh?"

Anne had no idea what she was doing, but she nodded. "Winner of today's game does the other's potion homework for a week."

The Ravenclaws' eyes narrowed slightly, considering the offer as she pursed her lips in thought. Merlin, she looks adorable, Anne thought.

"You must really feel confident if you're willing to do my homework for a week. You hate potions," Aurelia told her.

Something about her tone made Anne grin, her nerves vanishing. "I feel so confident I'm already looking forward to it."

"Oh really?" Aurelia smiled back. "How about I raise you?"

Oh?

"Loser does the other Seekers' potions homework for the week. And you have to carry all my books. By hand."

Anne felt her jaw drop. "Aurelia, you carry around like ten books."

"Sounds to me like you're scared of gaining a little muscle."

Oh, it was on. "Fine." Anne grabbed Aurelia's hand in agreement, squeezing a bit harder than intended. "I can't wait to win. I'll be checking out half the library just for you."

Aurelia smiled, her face lighting up with pride. "I can't wait."

Anne wasn't nervous anymore. She was determined to win. Like hell she was going to let this little redhead Irish girl beat her at Quidditch and rub it in her face.

As she walked back to Sebastian, he handed her a broom and eyed her suspiciously. "What were you two doing?"

"Betting." Before Anne was able to elaborate, she mounted her broom and kicked her feet just as the whistle blew.

The stadium was deafening as the players rose on their brooms, all hovering above the ground as the bludgers and Snitch were released. Anne saw the glimmer of gold fly up and then it disappeared into the crowd.

Anne gripped her broom tight. She always forgot how much she initially hated heights every time she got on a broom. Looking over at the rest of the team, the rest of the Slytherins looked anxious, especially Sebastian who kept his eyes forward and was gripping his bat with white knuckles. Even Imelda's face had hardened in both nerves and anticipation.

The quaffle was lifted from the box by Madam Kogawa. The crowd went silent.

Here we go.

Madam Kogawa threw the quaffle high in the air, and immediately the six Chasers charged forward.

"And they're off!" Lucan Brattleby's voice rang over the large screams from the crowd. He was the commentator for the games, accompanied by Professor Weasley sitting next to him. "Imelda Reyes of Slytherin has the quaffle! She's heading towards the goals, passing it to Bella Rosier, who then passes it to Jefferson Graham! Back to Reyes– OH! Barely missed that bludger sent from the Ravenclaw Beater Andrew Larson! Reyes is going, going – SCORE! Ten points to Slytherin!"

The Slytherin crowd erupted in cheers and screams. Anne could see Imelda's smile from where she sat on her broom, high above the crowd watching the game.

"Ravenclaw's in possession of the Quaffle. Chaser Constance Dogworth is in possession. She passes it to Nolan Buckman, who – OH! Stolen by Slytherin Graham! He's rushing towards the goals! No one's stopping him! SCORE! Another ten points to Slytherin!"

Aurelia Keene was also sitting above the crowd of spectators focusing on the arena for a sign of gold. Anne could see Ravenclaw Captain Everett Clopton yelling something at their Keeper, who quickly yelled something back. Aurelia tore her eyes away for a second, and even Anne could hear her from across the field as she screamed at them to shut up.

"There goes Reyes again! Look at them go! Slytherin's chasers are fast! She passes it to Rosier– OH NO! Rosier taking a bludger to the back! Looks like Ravenclaw Beater Thomas Avery has good aim!"

Bella Rosier, who was a stocky seventh year Slytherin, sat back up on her broom in pain but waved, signaling to everyone she was okay.

"Ravenclaw has the quaffle. Dogworth to Clopton, back to Dogworth, over to Buckman. Woah! Buckham barely dodged that bludger sent by Sebastian Sallow!"

Anne looked over and saw her twin brother flying nearby. She marveled at how he kept himself up on his broom with ease, and as he suddenly flew forward she even saw a hint of a smile on his face. Sebastian was having fun.

Before any time had passed, Slytherin was up sixty points to thirty. Just as they scored their seventh goal, Anne's eyes caught a glimpse of gold to her left, and she immediately darted forward keeping her eyes focused on the snitch. On her right, she saw that Aurelia had also seen it and was rushing towards it.

Anne barely caught sight of the bludger. "AURELIA, STOP!" she yelled. Instinctively, she pulled hers and Aurelia's broom up to dodge as the bludger whisked right past both their heads. Madam Kogawa's whistle rang out and she flew towards the two Seekers.

"Sallow!" she called out. "Citation for touching another players' broom!"

"But Professor–" Anne began.

Sebastian flew down towards them. "Anne was trying to prevent Keene from flying to a bludger, Professor," he said defensively.

Madam Kogawa looked at Aurelia. "Is that what happened?"

Aurelia looked shaken. She glanced at Anne, and Anne saw a look of what looked like slight panic and relief wash over her before she was nodding. "Yes, Professor," Aurelia told her.

Anne looked back at Madam Kogawa. "You get a warning, Miss Sallow," the teacher said. "Not again, please."

Anne nodded before looking back at Sebastian. However, Sebastian's eyes were already fixated on Adrian Pucey, who was watching the scene with a slight scowl on his face. "I was aiming for the fucking Ravenclaw, Sallow!" Pucey yelled at Sebastian after Madam Kogawa flew away.

The damage was done. The snitch had vanished, and Sebastian's eyes never left his teammate for the rest of the game.

It was another thirty points scored by both teams before Anne caught sight of the snitch again. It flew right by her head, and she dashed towards it with her arm extended. A few seconds later, Aurelia was again side by side with her. Damn, this girl is quick, Anne thought. She looked forward again, her eyes never leaving the golden ball as she leaned further forward  to go faster.

The girls were neck in neck. Anne felt sandwiched between Aurelia and the stadium walls, but she refused to move. She was winning this game. She needed to win this game!

Anne needed to prove to Sebastian that she deserved to be out here. She needed to prove to Imelda and the rest of the team that she was good enough. She needed to prove to herself she was good enough.

Just as Anne was thinking of what the biggest book in the library was, she noticed how quick they were getting to the wall. They were going too fast, Anne didn't know if they could pull up in time. Aurelia's fingers were outstretched and reaching for the snitch, she didn't see the wall. She wasn't going to see the wall.

"Aurelia, pull up!" Anne called out.

Aurelia wasn't listening. She almost had it. Just a bit further....

Anne made a split decision. She darted in front of Aurelia just enough to grab her torso, and a second later both girls had crashed right into the wall with Anne being the buffer between Aurelia and the wooden beams.

As both girls landed on the grass, Anne felt like her head was spinning. It took her a moment to register that she was no longer flying. And oh Merlin! Her shoulder and back felt like they were on fire as she tried to catch her breath.

Sebastian's going to kill me.

Aurelia was by her side a second later. "Oh gods, Anne!" Her face was filled with panic and worry, and she was shaking. "Anne, why would you–? Are you–?" Some of Aurelia's auburn hair had fallen out of her braid and were framing her face as her eyes landed on Anne's clenched hand.

Looking down, Anne found the golden snitch firmly in her grasp.

Aurelia fell back slightly as a look of utter defeat washed over her face. She had been so damn close. Anne had a feeling that the girl was already dreading the lecture she was sure to get from Everett Clopton. If he was anything like Imelda, losing in such a spectacular way would not be enough to make up for the loss itself.

Anne Sallow painfully grabbed Aurelia's hand and firmly placed the golden ball in the Ravenclaws' hand. Aurelia froze when it dawned on her. "No. What are you–?"

"Look at that," Anne smiled as she saw Sebastian land on the grass running towards her. "You caught the snitch."

-----

A/N: Our first Quidditch game! What an exciting moment! Comments are love! Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

771 62 9
Hogwarts 1892. Sabrina Lewis, the Gentle Slytherin. Ominis Grayson, the Loyal Son. Sebastian Sallow, the Determined Brother. Anne Sallow, the Ambiti...
24.9K 1.3K 108
SPOILERS FOR HOGWARTS LEGACY MAIN QUEST (The whole game) After Elizabeth's fifth year at Hogwarts ends, she finds her return to normalcy isn't quite...
11.3K 337 83
Just when life seemed like it was becoming perfect again, fate has a way of shifting and turning for the worst. Someone had leaked that Sebastian Sal...
1.2K 115 16
Going into their 6th year at Hogwarts, Maggie Darling, Ominis Gaunt and Sebastian Sallow are hard at work trying do the right thing. They have been s...