Estranged

By shereads_6

Someone who has become a stranger. More

Introduction
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
✌🏽😘
11.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
Let's talk
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.

12.

718 68 67
By shereads_6

____

THREE YEARS LATER

____

{A/N: For clarification, Skylar was born ONE day after Fatima's birthday. Whereas, Zoë was born TWO days after Fatima's birthday. }

•••

📍Cape Town, South Africa🇿🇦

▪︎ Aunt Viv's house ▪︎

"Hey Tima." Vivian said as she walked into the living room holding a small envelope. "I know that you're not fond of celebrating your birthday, but 21 is a big deal, baby!" She paused to observe her favorite niece's face because she knew that this has always been a sensitive topic for Fatima.

When she couldn't fully read the emotions on her face, she took that as a sign to keep going. "Tima, honestly, I think that you'll be doing a great disservice to Zoë if-

"Auntie, please don't!" Fatima said immediately, cutting her off before dismissing herself to the upstairs guest room.

Fatima's 21st birthday was coming up in no less than a week, and unlike most of her age mates, who look forward to this milestone of officially being deemed by society as a "woman." She couldn't care less because the last time she happily celebrated her birthday was when she turned 18. At the time, she regarded that night as arguably one of the best nights of her life. Well... that was until exactly two tragic weeks later when Zoë took her last breath. Ever since that tragic day, Fatima vowed to never celebrate her birthday because it just didn't make sense to her to celebrate during a period that is a constant reminder of her biggest heartache.

The mere mention of Zoë name was a very touchy and triggering subject for Fatima. Ever since she set foot in South Africa, she vowed never to mention her deceased child because it was just too painful for her. The last time she ever spoke of her was exactly three years ago when she abruptly showed up to her auntie's doorstep after her 19 hour long one-way flight from the USA.

Fatima made an impulse decision on the day of her daughter's burial. After her father gave her that check, it was like a light bulb went on for her. She didn't even hesitate as she swiftly packed a small suitcase with some minor necessities to sustain her ✨️new life✨️. The only thing that she decided to bring along from her 'old life' was the personalized Zoë embroidered blanket that Dr. Jones gifted her on the day that Zoë was born.

If you haven't already figured it out by now... Fatima Vashae Wilson is officially estranged. In fact, she has been for the past 3 years and counting...

-

-

-

▪︎ GUEST BEDROOM ▪︎

**Phonecall**

"Hey girl. Wassup?" Fatima spoke into the phone to her friend Luyanda, who goes by Lulu.

"Where are you??!" Lulu asked in a frantic tone.

"I told you that I was going to my auntie's," Fatima replied nonchalantly with a chuckle. "Why do you sound like you're panicking?" She asked.

"Girl, we're writing our last semester test for the year, and you're not even on campus??!"

"SHIT!!" Fatima yelled as she jumped out of bed and quickly began changing into a comfy outfit. She put her phone on loudspeaker as she jumped to fit into her favorite pair of skinny jeans.

Fatima's body had blossomed over the years. She has always been slim, but after she realized that exercise was a great coping mechanism, she practically started to live in the gym. As a result of all the time she put into the gym, and not forgetting all the African cuisine that she grew accustomed to... Fatima's body had officially graduated to THIQUE status - I'm talking small waist, perfect tits and a voluptuous figure. In fact, her newly found "bestie" had her saved as Fatima THEE stallion in her contact list.

"How much time do I have left?!" Fatima asked while frantically packing her study material into her book bag.

"Not long, but I'm sure you'll make it if you hurry here."

"Okay, I'm on the way," she said before hanging up and exiting her room.

Without even realizing it, Fatima accidentally slammed the bedroom door, and if there's a golden rule that applies in aunt Viv's double storey house... it was. "Don't be slamming my doors like you own them."

"Fatima, I know that I probably upset you earlier, but that still doesn't give you the right to slam my doors!!" Aunt Viv expressed soon as she saw Fatima rush down the stairs.

"I know, auntie, and I'm sorry. It was an accident because I'm rushing to get to campus. I have a test that I can't afford to miss," Fatima replied. "Also, uhm... may I please borrow your car?" she asked shyly.

"Of course you can. Shit, that car is practically yours. I mean, you drive it more than me," aunt Viv laughed as Fatima quickly grabbed the keys and bolted out the door. "Drive safe baby," she yelled out.

"I always do. Thanks, auntie."

-

-

▪︎ UCT CAMPUS ▪︎

**Please note that UCT is short for the University of Cape Town, and it will be referred to as such all throughout the course of this story**

Fatima finally made it to the lecture hall where the test would be taking place, but unfortunately for her, she was 10 minutes late due to the lunchtime traffic on Eastern Boulevard.

"Sorry I'm late, Prof." Fatima said as she hurried into the venue with a pen already in her hand.

"Come here," Professor William signaled with his hand.

**They stepped out for a brief second so that they wouldn't disturb the rest of the students who were already in the process of writing.

"What does the school policy say about late comers during test season?" He asked.

"It's strictly prohibited, but they do offer a grace period of 5 minutes, sir."

"And how many minutes late are you?"

Fatima checked her wristwatch. "Shit," she mumbled under her breath. "10 minutes, sir, but I-

"No buts, Fatima" Prof William said cutting her off while shaking his head. "I'm sorry, but you'll have to take the sick test next week if you want to pass this module and graduate on record time."

"Sir, pleaseee" Fatima practically begged with tears welling up in her eyes. "I really need to write this test TODAY," she emphasized.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because the sick test will be written two days after my birthday, and I won't be able to- *she starts getting choked up, thinking about Zoë. "Sir, I can't explain it, but can you please just let me write today." She said while wiping a tear away from her cheek.

Prof William carefully looked at Fatima, who desperately stood before him. Although he is a man of integrity, he didn't mind going against the rules for good reason, and Fatima Wilson was more than a good reason. Why? Because prior to this one misdemeanor of today, she was one the top achievers in his class. Always on time for lessons, even the dreadful 07:30 am session that most students like to bunk. Her assignments were also always up to par, and her grades never went below 80% (an A).

"Okay, fine. You can write the test today," he said finally, after what seemed like forever.

"Thank you! Thank you!" Fatima jumped up and down with excitement.

"But..." Prof said, interrupting her celebratory jumping. "I'm gonna need you to do something for me in return." He said before walking back into the lecture hall with Fatima following behind him.

After three hours. Well, three hours and an extra 15 minutes for Fatima. She and her friends were gathered in the cafeteria, celebrating their last paper over some refreshing non-alcoholic drinks.

"I can't believe that this day is finally here!!" Lulu exclaimed with glee.

"Right??!" Nandi, one of her other friends, chimed in. "We should go out and celebrate tonight."

"Definitely!!" Fatima said. "How about we hit one of the clubs on Long Street?" She suggested.

"By 'one of' you're referring to Soho, right?" Lulu said, raising her eyebrows with a smirk.

"Of course she is," Nandi laughed. "She wants to go there for one reason and one reason only."

"Okay, y'all need to chill," Fatima laughed. "Trevor and I are just friends, and our relationship is strictly platonic!"

"Mmh, well, I wonder if Trevor Noah shares those same sentiments." Lulu said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fatima asked cluelessly.

"Girl, I know you're somewhat new to the motherland, but act like you've been here!!"

"Huh?"

"Duhh!! He obviously likes you!!" Nandi said.

"No, he doesn't," Fatima denied.

"Sureee," Lulu said sarcastically. "That's why he spends all of his hard earned tip money on buying you drinks and fancy gifts."

"Whatever," Fatima laughed and then checked the time on her phone. "Shit! I totally forgot that I have to go to Prof William's office."

"Why?" Both of her friends asked simultaneously.

"Girl, we are officially done with that man!!" Lulu said.

"Forever," Nandi emphasized.

"I know that, but he said that I should come see him about something because he allowed me to write the test even though I was late." Fatima explained.

"I don't know about this Fatima," Lulu expressed her doubt. "Meeting with a MALE professor, after hours can only mean one thing!"

"No, it's not that. He's not a pervert. I honestly think that he just wants me to do something small, like tutor some struggling student," Fatima said. "Look, I can see that you're uneasy, so how about you come with me to his office?" She asked.

"Oh, that was never even up for discussion!" Lulu said. "I was gonna come with you regardless."

"Well, you'll let me know how it goes." Nandi said while standing up and grabbing her book bag. "I have to go meet my mom and finalize the preparations for my 21st ceremony on Saturday."

"Good luck with proving to the elders that you're still a virgin, friend," Lulu said jokingly referring to an old coming of age cutsom of the Zulu tribe where girls who are to turn 21 are celebrated for keeping their virginity until womanhood.

"I still don't fully understand the concept of this ceremony," Fatima expressed as they exited the cafeteria. "Like do they really force y'all to remain virgins until you're 21??!"

"Not exactly," Nandi said. "It's not really forced. We have free will. It's more so cultural, but it's complicated to explain. You'll see it on Saturday, though. You are still coming, right?"

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm intrigued by the history of it all," Fatima said.

"Alright then. I'll see y'all tonight at Soho, and please don't forget to update me on that meeting that you're headed to," Nandi said before hugging them both and getting into her car.

-

-

▪︎ Prof William office ▪︎

"Lovely! You brought a friend," Prof said with a smile before offering the two ladies a seat.

"I hope he doesn't want a threesome," Lulu whispered her concerns

so that only Fatima could hear.

"Can I get you something to drink?" He asked.

"No, thank you," Lulu replied on both their behalf.

"Uhm... Prof, I have somewhere to be, so if we can please just get this over with, that would be great," Fatima said.

"Of course, uhm... As you know, starting from Monday, the campus will be closed for a short 3 week recess. I also know that the time should be used in preparation for your final exams, but seeing that you kind of owe me... I was hoping that-

"NO!!!" Lulu immediately shouted. "Whatever you're gonna ask, no! She is not gonna have sex with you just because you allowed her to write that paper. Dude, you're probably old enough to be her father! You should be ashamed of yourself!!!" She said with a disguted look on her face.

"Oh my gosh," Fatima mumbled with her hand placed on her head.

"What are you talking about?" Prof asked in shock. "Nobody is trying to have sex with her. She is a literal child for heaven sake! And I am a happily married man with a daughter who is your age. Why on earth would you assume that??!"

"Well... I... thought... you..." Lulu rambled in a stutter.

"I apologize on my friend's behalf, Prof.," Fatima said. "She's just a little paranoid and overprotective, but she means well."

"It's fine. I understand. We live in a sick and twisted world with a bunch of psychos who have sinister motives, but I promise you that is not who I am," Prof. assured them.

"I know." Fatima nodded. "So... you were getting at something before she-

"Yes, uhm. I was wondering if you would be interested in doing some vac work during your recess?" He asked. "The offer goes out to both of you."

"Why us?" Lulu asked. "Why not just advertise the post on LinkedIn and have other people apply?"

"You don't trust very easy, do you?" Prof asked with a chuckle.

"Yes, I don't," Lulu replied.

"Well, you have nothing to worry about. I promise you that I don't have any sinister motives," he assured them once again. "To answer your question. I asked both of you because the company is still very new and upcoming. My wife has been appointed as the acting supervisor while they're still trying to test the waters, so this is just me trying to help her out."

"So basically, it's high risk?" Lulu asked.

"I see someone has been paying attention in class," Prof said proudly. "But to answer your question. It's not risky per se, because this is a well established company, globally. It's just that they're under new management now, and so they're looking into diversifying into the African diaspora. Starting with this country."

"What company is it?" Fatima asked.

"You've probably heard of it because it was founded by an American man and his wife and well... you're from the States. It's called uhm... *he paused to check his laptop* "Give me a second while I check my emails."

"I can't seem to find it because my inbox is flooded. But it's a big logistics company, something along the lines of Tailoring Ships." He said.

"Taylored Shipments??!" Fatima asked with her eyes wide.

"Yes! That's the name." Prof said in agreement. "Are you familiar with the company?" He asked.

"Yeah... something like that," Fatima responded.

"That is great!" Prof said with a smile. "So do you accept my offer?"

"Do I have a choice?" Fatima asked.

"You always have a choice Fatima. But before you're quick to decline. I want you to know how much of a great opportunity this could potentially be. It's definitely gonna look good on your resumè and maybe you can even score yourself a job before graduation." He said.

Fatima went silent and pondered on her thoughts.

"How much does it pay?" Lulu asked.

"It doesn't pay in currency but you will gain lots of experience and they'll answer cover your transportation costs, to and from the office" he said.

"I don't know about her. But I'm in!" Lulu said. "I need something to keep me busy anyway."

"Wonderful. I'll let my wife know." Prof said.

Meanwhile, Fatima was spaced out. Her mind was racing with dozens of thoughts because working for the family company of a boy... well he's a man now, whom she hasn't seen or spoken to since Zoë funeral was never a part of her estrangement plan. Deep down she knows that she was deadass wrong for leaving the way that she did. But in her defense, she did was she thought was best for her at the time and although she doesn't regret coming to South Africa. She does regret how her story with Zac ended. Truth is... she has never stopped loving him. To this day, he still thinks about him, sometimes she even gets the impulse to fly back to ATL and surprise him, but her pride won't let her. She also occasionally "stalks" his Instagram from a finsta account but there isn't really much on there because Zac has always maintained a private life.

"Even if it's his family's company. There is no reason for him to ever set foot here. I mean there's Skype and Zoom, right??!" She thought to herself.

"Uhm... Fatima, are you still with us?" Prof. asked pulling her out of her trance.

"Okay I'll do it," she said without hesitation.

"Excellent!!" He said while handing them both a one page employment agreement, which they quickly read through before signing.

"Please report for duty bright and early on Monday at 09:00am sharp!" Prof said while handshaking them. "Thank you for this, and I promise that you will not regret it."

"Thank you, Prof." They both said while standing up and getting ready to leave.

"Oh, and one more thing," he said, stopping them in their tracks. "Please make sure that you show up on time because the son of the CEO is rumored to be flying in and as you know... first impressions last."

_____

Author's note📝

Please let me know how y'all feel about this chapter and the three year time jump😬

▪︎ Also... don't panic. I promise y'all that we're gonna be back in the States before you know it 😉

▪︎ Looks like somebody is coming to Africa... can you guess who?🤔🤣

▪︎ Alexa, play daddy's home by Usher🤭😉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 3.1K 32
When trauma comes back to haunt you as an adult. Navigating through life with a broken heart and in need of someone to love you past the pain ❤️‍🩹
60.2K 1.3K 17
everyone changes at one point, but sometimes they become someone you never thought they'd be. *completed*
14.3K 389 11
...
6.4K 128 17
in which a girl that has always been alone.