Double Fault

By Kayhey18

Florence Bonsee was focused on Wimbledon and her budding tennis career. What she least expected was Charles L... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Epilogue
Surprise!
5 years later

Chapter 37

3.8K 92 0
By Kayhey18

***slow start to the chapter but hold on tight!

CHARLES POV:

Today was one of those days that when it rained it poured.

Leading up to Florence's match, Carlos and I received a call from Ferrari that we needed to be in Italy in two days. Something about unexpected press meetings and simulation testing for the upcoming car. Even with our objections due to being in Australia, like we had all planned, they were relentless on our schedule. I figured I'd tell Florence after the match not wanting her to have any distractions. The idea of missing a slam final made me sick to my stomach, but we knew that was the risk with our schedules.

As for the match, Florence won in 3 sets but a heavy price to get to the quarterfinals. She spent 3 plus hours on the court and rolled her ankle in the second set and never seemed to get her full game back. Watching her lose the second set due to an injury, fighting through third set virtually on one foot, left me cringing for her. I knew Florence was tough in every way. She constantly showed mental toughness but what I saw today was unmatched. The constant turning, running, and jumping on a hurt foot proved she was the toughest person I knew.

Especially when I finally saw her ankle back at the hotel room. The bottom of her foot was already bruised with discoloration creeping up to her leg. The actual ankle was two sizes too big. She was put up in bed, her foot elevated on the pillow, and ice constantly going on and off. All evening discussion was surrounded by one question, does she withdrawal from the tournament.

I sat on the couch quietly listening to her, Daniel, and Gregor talk in circles, only offering snippets of info when they asked me a question directly. Florence finally convinced everyone that she could at least try to play in the next match. To her point, she did complete the match today and could walk pretty steadily. She wanted to give the match a try and promised to listen to her body.

Eventually everyone left for the night leaving us alone. We shared dinner in bed with a movie, we finally showered, and were ready for bed. Even though she objected, Florence let me help her after Daniel left. I was constantly shifting her ankle on the pillow for elevation and rotating the ice.

Once we were finally under the covers, I figured it was the best time to share the news with her. There wasn't a good time but this would have to do.

"So I have some bad news," I said once she rested her head on my chest.

"Worse than my ankle," she asked keeping her eyes on the tv.

"I'll let you decide," I said playing with her damp hair.

"Lay it on me," she sighed, I could feel her take a deep breath.

"Ferrari kinda fucked everything up," I started with. This got her attention so she lifted her head up looking at me. "Carlos and I have to to fly to Italy tomorrow." I cut to it not wanting to leave any questions. She let out another sigh, the only disappointment was in her eyes.

"That is bad news," her response flat while she gave a little frown.

"I know, we tried to get out of it. They knew about this trip but Fred stated it's too important to miss."

Florence leaned up kissing my cheek before settling back on my chest. "While that absolutely sucks, I understand. Duty calls. Who knows, you're probably not gonna miss much."

I ruffled her hair some more and offered a smile. "Don't count yourself out just yet and thank you for understanding. I'm quite bummed myself."

She nuzzled closer into me, the warmth of our bodies was comforting for me too. "So that means I'll see you in Monaco whenever I get back?"

I gave her a yup. "I'll have a meal waiting for you."

"That would be wonderful." She sighed without saying anything else, her breath becoming steady after a minute. "Going to sleep on me already? I know you're quite talented at it."

"Trying to get there. I can't feel the heartbeat in my ankle right now so it seems like the best time. What time do you have to leave in the morning?"

"Whenever you get up and out for your day. I figured we could share breakfast and I'll head out after that."

She yawned. "I'd like that."

"Is your foot elevated," I asked.

"Sure is doc," she said with a chuckle.

"I'm gonna check in the middle of the night, you know that right?"

"I expect nothing less," she replied.

I reached over and turned off the light. Florence shifted off me and laid on her back shifting her foot so it was secure on the pillow. I took my spot next to her, laying on my side so I could face her.

"Goodnight I love you," she whispered out.

I kissed her cheek keeping close. "Goodnight my love, you're gonna feel all better in the morning." My statement put a small smile on her face, I was relieved to get a little happiness out of her before going to bed.

Like usual, Florence was out in minutes. I shifted onto my back to keep my eyes on the TV, the sound quietly filling the room. It did the trick as I felt my eyes getting heavy. With that, I turned off the tv and closed my eyes as well.

FLORENCE'S POV:

TENNIS NETWORK: Hard day of tennis for the defending slam champ.

DailyMail: Trouble in paradise for Florence Bonsee. On top of early tournament exit, a mysterious article with family secrets circulating the tennis world.

If I thought the match was bad, I was completely wrong.

The first set was hell after every step, but I was only broken in serve once. Some adrenaline had set in the second set, the momentum coming back to me. At 4-4 I threw caution to the wind and paid the ultimate price. During a baseline lunge, my ankle gave out rolling from under me. That was it, the pain was too much paired with the inability to even get a clean step in. Everything in me wanted to keep going, but the match had slipped away without a result. I had to withdraw from the match while my opponent moved on.

Sitting in the interview room post match topped any feeling I had on the court though. My ankle was screaming in the boot under the table. The questions were endless and pointless.

Things were turning around for you, why did you give up on the match?

How do you come back from this tournament?

What is your official diagnosis?

I didn't want to be annoyed, so I kept my voice steady and flat. I did my best to fight my ankle the last two matches, and it didn't hold up. We will have to see what the diagnosis is once I get treatment. I heal and get back to training whenever that may be.

My brain was mush at this point and I was completely zoned out. All I wanted was to get medical treatment, go to bed, and hopefully be able to watch Laurie with Lando later in the week. My dad was in the back of the room scowling as well. Whenever he would catch my eye, he would give me a thumbs up but his face would never change. I'm sure this was agonizing for him too.

I let myself think even more forward wanting to feel to comfort of being back in Monaco with Charles. Saying goodbye to him yesterday was horrible and Australia had only gotten worse in the last 24 hours.

"Florence, away from the match, I wanted to ask you about the article released this morning. How did reliving the events of your mother impact your play today?"

My day dream was immediately snatched from me, my eyes darting to the woman brave enough to bring up my mom in a moment like this. "Excuse me."

"The article this morning from DailyMail, it seemed like a bad time for it to be released."

I scoffed having no idea what this woman was talking about, my blood pressure was raising. I looked over to my dad for a moment to see if he could give me any comfort. He looked just as confused.

"My mother has nothing to do with today's match. There's no reason for you to bring her up," I responded harshly. The media was ready to make a story out of anything, but I was genuinely shocked they felt the right to bring her up.

I was glaring at her when she was bold enough to open her mouth again. "So on the record. Having to recall the events of the accident and the loss of your future sibling had no impact on you today?"

"What the fuck are you talking about," my words were out before I could even think.

There were a few gasps in the crowd, reporters on their feet now with hands and mics raising up suddenly. Words were being thrown at me but I couldn't make any of them out. The loss of my future sibling rung in my ears. I stood up trying to see my dad in the back of my room. The panic that I was felt was growing and I needed to be out of this room and away from the flashing cameras.

"Dad," I yelled out trying to step away from the mic but my foot objected. I did my best to look over the crowd but he wasn't there anymore. After another flash, I felt arms on my shoulder. I desperately looked at the person who joined me. Daniel was beside me wrapping his arm around my waist to help me away. "Daniel what are they talking about," my voice broke as tears began to fill my eyes.

He didn't look at me though while he weaved us through the few people in front of the door. Someone shoved their recorder in my face, Daniel shoving it away. "Get the fuck away from her, the interview is over," his voice loud and stern as people finally moved away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 6.1K 60
Sticking around was never her intention. She just wanted to watch one race and the people around her made everything in their power to keep her there...
46.8K 749 34
Éléanor Wolff Is trying to move on from a bad breakup. What better way to do that then to join her dad and friends along for the 2022 season of Formu...
338K 6.6K 177
Mary just graduated from Law School and is setting out for a journey through Europe. Charles is a F1 driver for Scuderia Ferrari. How will their live...
32.8K 762 27
in which Adelaide Moreau figures out that the love she needed was right under her nose the whole time. • charles leclerc x fem oc