ROTTEN LOVE

By Jenifer_GG

Helena Thorn, a young witch coven leader, is sworn to serve and protect Marisa Malfatto, a pureblood vampire... More

TRADE| 1
COMMENCEMENT| 2
SIN| 3
DATE| 4
INFERNO| 5
ENLIGHTEN| 6
CRAVING| 7
CONFINE| 8
UNIDENTIFIED| 9
LINES| 10
PENDANT| 11
SECRETS| 12
CONSTANT| 13
LOST| 14
AMISS| 15
BONDS| 16
RELEASED| 17
PROMISE| 18
MAHOGANY| 19
JAILER| 20
FORTUNE| 21
REGARDS| 23
GONE| 24
AMBROSE| 25
STARVED| 26
COWARD| 27
GIVE IN| 28
COMPLETE| 29
SEVERED| 30
VISITOR| 31
LITTLE BIRD| 32
BEDMATE| 33
TOMORROW| 34
SLEEPOVER| 35
SICK| 36
PICK| 37
REUNION| 38
TERMS| 39
UNDERCOVER| 40
CROSSROADS| 41
NEGOTIATION| 42
DECISION| 43
PAST| 44
VACATION| 45
THIRST| 46
STAND OFF| 47
DECISION| 48
UNRAVEL| 49
APOLOGY| 50
ENSNARE| 51
BURST| 52
LAST RESORT| 53
DARKNESS| 54
THE END| 55

CONFROTATION| 22

47 3 0
By Jenifer_GG

The drive to Zain's territory is short. The anticipation is what made it seem an eternity.

Four days passed. I haven't heard any news from Zain. We do not know his game.

Maddox and Marisa have not experienced a bloodlust episode. That means they are no longer touching Jason and well, without Zain, my feelings are in control.

I spent the four days raking my head over Zain's intentions.  He should have come back for me. Two ciphers are better than one.

Plus the fact that I am his mate should have made him retrieve me. I find myself questioning my worth. Despite all the benefits, he left me to be.

His cold shoulder makes me more comfortable with my decision. I had fought Maddox and Marisa over it.

They did not like the idea of going into his territory alone. Maddox tried to use the tether as an excuse but I resolved it. Jerry allowed me to use his house.

I restrained Maddox and Marisa to Jerry's house, building a perimeter of charms and herbs around the compound. My witches would make sure the charm stays intact constantly replenishing and changing the herbs.

The vamps would build a protective wall. They will stay watch. Jerry loathed the idea of getting involved but I used something that never fails to work, guilt.

His hate for my mom separated him from my father. My father had to lose his only family. So we grew up alone. I laid it out savagely.

It was not fair but it worked which is all I care for. I do wish for him to be safe. I want for all of them to be safe. If Maddox and Marisa go through an episode, they will be confined to the house. The only ones at risk are our crew.

This time around they were aware of the risks. They accepted it. I only hope that it does not come to that.

I get closer to Zain's house and further from my family. The four days of fighting with Marisa and Maddox have also been four days of being inseparable.

We shared beds. We ate together. They had their feeders while I enjoyed Jerry's home cooking. Jerry tried his best not to stare.

I even spent time with him. When he is not mentioning my mother, he seems like he would have been a decent uncle.

The car stops moving. I have arrived at my destination. I shake my head wishing it would also dispell the hurt in my heart. As I got out of the car, I instantly latched onto stormy blue eyes.

Zain is alone outside, waiting. He sensed me. Everything increases in me. I walk to him at a normal pace.

My feet feel heavy. My hands feel antsy. As I get closer to Zain, I want to jump into his arms. I fight it. I bring myself back to my last moments with Maddox.

I had said my goodbyes to everyone. We did not know how long our separation would be.

Marisa refused to see me this morning. She hated the idea. Come to think of it, we had never been separated and it tore her heart. It tore mine.

She hugged me hard all night. Come sunlight this morning, she released me and refused to talk to me. She did not want to see me leave her. I understood.

My only alleviation was that I saw Adam coming to her side as I went toward the car. He would look after her. She would be consoled by him even if she had not become aware of her changing heart.

Maddox was the last one to say goodbye to me. He led me to the car.

He opens the door, "Amica mea, don't go. We'll find another way."

I shake my head no, "It's decided."

He scrunches his eyebrows. His eyes dulling.

He gets closer to me and raises my chin. I look away because it's hard enough to go against everyone. Even harder to go against my heart.

Marisa and Maddox have it. Everyone in this crew is part of it. Jerry's unpleasant attitude has even made its way into it.

But I will never be whole without Jason. Created together. Born together. Living together. He is my twin and that's another indisputable bond.

Maddox moves my gaze back, "then at least promise you will come back to us. Remember who truly lies in your heart. You decide."

I tear escapes as I hear my mom's last words from him. 

I decided on my faith. I know who rules my heart and that's me. Only I get to choose what to do.

I bite my lip and wipe the tears from my eyes. "I promise. Would you promise me one thing?"

"Anything."

"Protect that loaf of an uncle I have. He's not too bad."

He looks over his shoulder at Jerry's shuffling figure. Jerry is pretending not to look but I've noticed that his gaze is always on me. He has been keeping watch of me this whole time.

He is apprehensive of our crew but he has put up with them for me.

Maddox looks back at me, "If you ask, then they are orders, even if he is quite a character."

I smile hesitantly, "Well, then, I must go now."

He gets closer to me. I see him watch my lips then my eyes. I slightly quiver under such wanting and care. I stay firm. I don't move as he leans down, passes my mouth, and gets to the outer part of my ear.

His breath plays along the outside of it. "Helena, please, come back to me. We will wait for word. Two days and not a minute longer... I will kill everyone who harms you. I will destroy his pack. I will annihilate your mate if he inflicts any more damage. Don't let me become the monster they think I am because I will for you. Come back to me, amica mea."

My breath hitches with each word. He pulls away placing a gentle kiss on my cheek. A sweet juxtaposition from his vicious threat. I had no words for him. Nothing seemed appropriate.

So I get into my tippy toes and place a kiss on his cheek, closer to the underside of his jaw.

It's not a promise to return to him but to return home. With sincerity, I gave him one last look before boarding the car.

The thoughts fade as I stop a few feet from Zain. He looks me over.

I want him to make the first move. Will he confess?

Given that Jerry is still part of the town, he must know I have been in contact with him. It should not be hard to conclude that Jerry would have confessed about my parents.

Zain closes the distance and leads his hands down my arms. The touch is electric. I glimpse into his eyes.

He has bags underneath them. His black hair is disheveled. He must have been running his hands through it.

Our separation has caused him distress. From the outside, I look like I've had a better time.

My hair is combed into two long braids. There is no shadow under my eyes. A yellow, off-the-shoulder, Sunday dress adorns my body. White flats on my feet.

One look at me and you can assume that my life has been good. But, one look into my mind, one would comprehend that I am in shambles without this man.

His fingers make it to my hands. He grips them. I sigh with relief, an involuntary action.

His husky voice brings me to his face. "Have you returned to me, Helena?"

The audacity of this man. "You kicked me out. Packed my bags. Practically sent me on my way."

"You picked him over me."

"I did not. I needed a clue. Jason is who I selected. Maddox was simply the tool."

He squeezes my hand, "And did you find a clue?"

I study him. His eyes give me the same scrutiny. I have allowed him to touch me to cipher some magic out of him. He would not feel it. It's very subtle and slow.

"You know I did."

He gives a huff, almost like an incomplete laugh, "How is Jerry? Still, a grump."

The fact that he did not lie gives me a small sense of hope. I am not convinced there is redemption for him, but not lying to me helps.

I pull away from his hands and hug my arms. I move them back and forward for comfort. "You mean my uncle. The one I had no idea existed."

He nods his head, "I would imagine it was a shock. Finding out about him."

"It was a shock finding out about my mother and your father. You lied to me. You knew all along who I was."

I rub my arms more vigorously, feeling discomfort with the potential response.

He stops my hands, holding them in place. His grip is firm.

"I wanted to meet you. I have known of you. Never been able to feel you. I could never locate you. So when Maddox sent his offer and mentioned twin witches as part of his entourage, I had hoped."

"You expect me to believe that you got lucky."

"Yes, it is true. When I saw you, I was fairly certain. You took off your necklace and it was confirmed," he moves closer.

He brings me to him. I still hug myself as he engulfs me. His arms surround me. His chin rests on the top of my hair.

At first, his scent overwhelms me. My face was directly on his chest. It was too much so I shifted it to the side. My head rests on him as he breathes.

I give myself this moment to settle. He has not denied anything. I believe he will finally reveal his play.

I allow him to consume me in his arms because I'm about to find out how he plans to use our connection. When I find out the truth, I think it will break more of me.

He says from above my head, "I have missed you, mate. I have not been well without you."

I give us one more second then push slightly from his chest to see his eyes. He lifts his head and looks at me.

"Zain, tell me already why I am here. Release my brother. I will comply but give him to me," I plead, surrender in my voice.

Maddox and Marisa think I came to get my brother. To play espionage, and to run away together. But, I came as an exchange.

The more nights I had passed without Zain, the more hollow I felt. It did not matter how hard Marisa cuddled me, how much Maddox offered his comfort, and how much I was upset at Zain. The mark on my neck was a constant reminder of my need for him.

The Malfattos are my home but I think my mother was wrong. I think Maddox is wrong. I cannot decide. I will allow this bond to lead me because it's stronger than me.

He flinches at my accusation and releases me.

"Helena, I do not have Jason."

I fist my hands. I am willing to go with this destiny. I am willing to forsake my family for him and he is lying.

"Stop it! You accepted Maddox's proposal with the hopes of finding me. You found me and my brother got lost. You didn't tell me about my mother's history. I figured it all out and I am willing to move forward but release my brother, now."

"I do not have your brother."

"Bullshit. I smelled mahogany. You own those forests."

He argues, pointing in the direction I came from, "Your brother and you are a part of those forests. You smelled him not the forest."

Where is my brother? Zain has him. He is supposed to have him. I feel sad and desperate. I want Jason back. Something wet coats my eyes.

Zain's hands wipe at them.

"Helena, I lied about not knowing who you are. I didn't lie, just failed to confess your mother's past because that is irrelevant to me. But I am not lying about this. Jason is not here."

I want to argue some more but something claws at me. I grunt at the tension that commences from my stomach. I fall to my knees.

Zain kneels with me. He holds me up.

"What's wrong, Helena," he is frantic. I want to fall to the ground.

I scream some more as a sharp sensation makes its way to my core. My hands go to my stomach instantly.

I shakingly bring them back to sight. Red stains them. My vision blurs.

"Babe, Helena, babe, listen to me. We will get you help," he lifts me off the ground.

My body aches as he runs inside the compound. He kicks the door open and the cool air hurts more. Zain screams orders as he lays me on top of the dining table.

A man, the doctor from before, examines me.

"She has been stabbed. She is losing a lot of blood," he states.

"That can't be. We were together," Zain argues.

The whole time my hearing goes in and out.

I was not stabbed; a slow and painful realization that it's not because of me. I was not the victim.

Zain's hand was in mine. I squeeze it to grab his attention.

I stutter. I start to feel lifeless. "Za... Zain... hel...help..."

"Don't worry. I got you, baby," he brushes my hair.

More tears come down. I shake my head no in disagreement.

"Mar-risa," I manage to mumble. His eyes open in fright.

He understood. Marisa is the one in trouble. He can't save me without figuring out what's wrong with her.

Knowing that Marisa is the one injured, burdens me. It terrifies me. I left them for Zain. I tied them to Jerry's. I cannot lose her.

More torment encircles me knowing that for someone to have gotten to Marisa, they had to get through my crew and the vamps.

Maddox. He is the last person I think about before briefly closing my eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.7K 3.3K 31
In a world where the Moon Goddess blesses certain wolves with abnormal, powerful gifts, Wyren Thorn is a cursed wolf. Living in a pack whose Alpha (e...
164K 3.3K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
1K 92 37
How much can love save? * Leila is torn between keeping away from her mate and saving her Pack. She believes staying away from him is best for the bo...
1.5M 67K 54
*COMPLETED* BOOK 2 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES Noah Maverick was the beta of the Blood Moon Pack and also was committed into an arranged marriage i...