Unsung Hero

By Baxterbro

Follow Spartan S-142 or Ash, an Experimental Spartan II, as his story starts on Reach. Being transferred to a... More

Noble Actual
Winter Contingency
ONI: Sword Base
Nightfall
Tip of the Spear
Long Night of Solace
Exodus
New Alexandria
The Packages
The Pillar of Autumn & Lone Wolf
Halo CE: The Pillar of Autumn
Halo
The Truth and Reconcilliation
The Silent Cartographer
Assault on the Control Room
343 Guilty Spark
The Library
Keyes
The Maw
Halo 2: The Heretic/The Armory
Cairo Station
Outskirts
Metropolis
The Arbiter
The Oracle
Delta Halo
Regret
Sacred Icon
Quarantine Zone
Gravemind
Uprising
High Charity
The Great Journey
The Packages
The Babysitter
Starry Night
Believe
Landfall
Halo 3: Arrival
Sierra 142

Two Betrayals

224 10 23
By Baxterbro

Outside the Control Master Chief, Noble Six, Ruby, Asher, and 343 Guilty Spark teleport in, obviously in the middle of a conversation, explaining something about the Flood.

Both Ruby and Rose lean on a nearby wall.

Spark is in the middle of speaking. "...Which means that any organism of sufficient mass and cognitive capability is a potential vector."

The Chief pauses as though sensing something is not quiet right."

"Chief?" Ash questions.

"Is something wrong?" Spark asks.

"No... Nothing" Chief responds.

"Splendid. Shall we?" 

Ash looks over at the two exhausted ODSTs sitting on the ground nearby. He then looks over to Spark. "Let's rest a few minutes.

"But, there's no time!" Spark states. "We must hurry-"

"Just a few minutes, please."

Spark looks between Ash and the ODSTs. "Only a few minutes."

Ash looks at the Chief and nods, the Chief nods back as he walks over a wall and leans against it.

Ash walks over to the two ODSTs. "You got a few minutes to rest, use it well."

"Got it." The twins respond.

"Rose One, Rose Two, please eat and drink before we continue." Auntie Dot asks. "It's been over twelve hours since your last meal."

"On it." Rose says as he takes out an MRE from a small back on his back. 

The two ODSTs take off their helmets and start to eat a quiet meal with some water.

Ash walks off to the side and looks at the snowy landscape around him. "Reminds me of Reach..." He mutters, then he takes out four dogtages from a pouch within his chest armor. "Még mindig harcolok, ne aggódjatok barátaim." [I'm still fighting, don't worry my friends.]

Rose coughs and Ruby beats on his back. "Slow down or you'll choke!" She shouts.

"I'm soooo hungry though!" Rose says.

Ruby rolls her silver eyes.

Rose continues eating and he looks over to Ash. "Hey, Lieutenant?"

"Hmmm?" Ash looks over, he puts the dogtage away.

"How's the robo arm treating you?"

Ash looks at his left prosthetic arm that looks similar to what Kat had. "I like it. I forget I even have it most of the time."

"You can thank me." Xi pops onto Ash's shoulder with a smug smile. "I'm tricking your brain into thinking that your meta arm is still your fleshy one. If I wasn't in your head, your body would mostly likely reject the implant since we didn't go through the proper procedures to put it on you."

Ash opens and closes his left hand and Xi pats the side of his helmet, before disappearing.

Ruby glances over at Ash. "Sir, why were you a Lone Wolf?"

Ash looks over. "How'd you find that out, that's very classified ONI information."

Ruby shrugs her shoulders. "I have my ways."

Ash sighs and looks up to the sky, before looking back at Ruby. "I actually was the Leader of a Spartan Team, Crimson Team. There were five of us. True-068, Baxter-200, Valeria-158, Sheila-065, then me Ash-142. It was the Battle of Miridem, I... was the only one that survived and I left before the glassing of the planet. After that, I couldn't be on a team with anyone, I... just couldn't."

Both Ruby and Rose look at each other in sadness.

"Sorry, sir." Ruby says.

"It's fine First Lieutenant." Ash says.

Ruby opens her canteen and takes a long drink from it. Rose stretches and then takes a drink from his canteen.

Spark floats over. "We must move now, before it's too late."

"You heard him, Soldiers." Ash calls out. "Break times over."

Rose groans. "Five more minutes." Ruby hits him on the back of the head. "Ow!"

"Get up." Ruby orders as she stands up and puts her helmet on.

Rose rolls his eyes and stands up while putting his helmet on. Chief walks over and the group moves into the the Control room.

They move up to the main control panel.

Spark starts randomly humming. "Unfortunately, my usefulness to this particular endeavor has come to an end. Protocol does not allow units with my classification to... perform a task as important as the reunification of the Index with the Core. That final step is reserved for you, Reclaimers."

Master Chief takes the Index, and puts it into a slot on the console. Lights and holograms appear, but then fade.

"Odd. That wasn't supposed to happen." Spark says.

Cortana suddenly appears over the console. "Oh, really!?"

There is a flash of light, and 343 Guilty Spark is thrown back, and down to the ground.

"Cortana!" Chief shouts.

Xi appears on Ash's shoulder. "What was that for?!"

"I've spent the last 12 hours cooped up in here, watching you all toady about, helping that thing get set to slit our throats!"

"Hold on now, he's a friend." Chief says.

"Oh! I didn't realize." Cortana speaks sarcastically. "He's your pal, is he? Your chum?" She grows angry. "Do you have any idea what that bastard almost made you do?!"

"Yes... Activate Halo's defense and destroy the Flood, which is why we brought the Index to the Control Center."

"You mean this?" The Activation Index hologram appears in Cortana's hand.

"A construct?" Spark questions. "In the Core?! That is absolutely unacceptable!"

"Sod off!" Cortana shouts.

"Cortana calm down." Xi says.

"No! I will not!"

"What impertinence!" Spark shouts. "I shall purge you at once!" He floats up to Cortana.

The two ODSTs behind the Spartans look at each other.

"You sure that's a good idea?" Cortana asks, and her avatar absorbs the Index."

"How... how... how dare you?!" Spark shouts. "I'll-"

"Do what? I have the Index! You can just float and sputter!"

Xi and Ash glance at each other.

"Enough!" The Chief brings both hands up in the middle of them as if to stop a fight, then turns back to face Cortana. "The Flood is spreading. If we activate Halo's defenses, we can wipe them out."

"You have no idea how this ring works, do you?" Cortana asks. "Why the Forerunners built it? Halo doesn't kill Flood, it kills their food. Humans, Covenant, whatever. We're all equally edible! The only way to stop the Flood is to starve them to death. And that's exactly what Halo is designed to do: Wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life. You don't believe me? Ask him!"

Cortana points at Spark, while Xi looks at him in slight anger.

Master Chief hesitates, then turns to Spark. "is it true?"

"...More or less." Spark states. "Technically, this installation's pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But, once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood. ... But you already knew that... I mean, how couldn't you."

"There's more than one?!" Rose shouts. "You've gotta be shitting me!"

"Swear." Ruby mutters.

"Left out that little detail, did he?" Cortana asks.

"We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You all were with me each step of the way, as we managed this crisis." Spark says.

Cortana then speaks in alarm. "Chief, Six, I'm picking up movement!"

"Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?"

"We need to go, right now." Cortana speaks urgently.

"That sounds nice!" Xi says and disappears from Ash's shoulder.

Six Aggressor Sentinels float up behind Spark, their beams aimed menacingly on the group of four. Chief, Ash and the two ODSTs aim their weapons at the Sentinels.

Spark speaks. "Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed."

Master Chief looks around at the Sentinels, and backs towards the panel. He takes Cortana's data crystal chip out of the console, and inserts it into his head.

"There is no choice." Spark claims. "We must activate the ring."

"Chief." Ash calls out as he backs up towards him.

"If you are unwilling to help, I will simply find another. Still, I must have the Index. Give your construct to me, or I will be forced to take her from you."

"That's not going to happen." Chief says.

"So be it." Spark turns to the Aggressors. "Save his head, Dispose of the rest of them."

"Well, shit. I guess there's gonna be no parade." Rose says. "And I was gonna drive the float."

Spark teleports away and everyone readies their weapons.

"Look out!" Xi yells.

The Sentinels open fire at the group, they all jump to the side and avoid the beams. Ruby backflips and gracefully lands and fire her sniper rifle several times, taking down a couple Sentinels.

Rose falls onto his back and slides into the railing. "Oof!" He then rolls to the side and stands up and readies his shotgun. "Who's ready!"

A Sentinel appears in front of Rose, making him yell in panic and firing his weapon, blowing up the Sentinel.

"Got it!" Rose shouts.

Ash takes out his Energy sword and slices a Sentinel in half as it approaches him. Chief guns down the last two.

The Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe

Cortana speaks to the group. "We can't let the Monitor activate Halo. We have to stop him - we have to destroy Halo. According to my analysis of the available data, I believe the best course of action is somewhat... risky. An explosion of sufficient size will help destabilize the ring, and will cut through a number of primary systems. 

We need to trigger a detonation on a large scale, however. A starship's fusion reactors going critical would do the job. I'm going to search what's left of the Covenant battlenet, and see if I can locate the Pillar of Autumn's crash site. If the ship's fusion reactors are still relatively intact, we can use them to destroy Halo."

"I'll help look with you, sis." Xi says.

"Most appreciated." 

The group proceeds through the corridors, eliminating several Covenant patrols as well as the Sentinels that they are in combat with. Soon they exit the structure into the snowy night sky.

Cortana speaks again. "I haven't located the crash site yet but we need to buy some time, in case the Monitor or his Sentinels find a way to activate Halo's final weapon, without the Index. The machinery in these canyons are Halo's primary firing mechanisms. They consist of three phase pulse generators that amplify Halo's signal, and allow it to fire deep into space. 

The power levels are enormous. I can't even begin to calculate the pulse's range. So, if we damage or destroy these generators, the Monitor will need to repair them before Halo can be used. That should buy us some time. I'm marking the location of the nearest pulse generator with a nav point. We need to move in and neutralize the device."

The group heads down the pyramid structure, eliminating more Covenant patrols.

"Wait." Xi calls out. "We should commandeer a few of those Banshees; we'll need them to reach the pulse generator in time."

An Elite enters a Wraith and bombards the groups position.

"Now that's so not cool!" Rose shouts as he gets into cover.

Ash looks out of cover and at the Wraith, he then glances over to Ruby. "Ruby, think you can get that diver canopy open."

"Yeah, why?" Ruby asks

"Just trust me." Ash takes a grenade off his belt.

Ruby pops out of cover and fires onto the Wraith, destroying the driver canopy, leaving the Elite exposed. 

Ash brings her robot arm back. "Xi, think you can help me here."

"Sure." Xi happily says.

An arch appears showing where Ash's grenade will land. He then throws the grande and it travels through the air and lands in the Elite's lap.

"Blargh, honk?" The Elite questions, before the Wraith blows up.

"Wow... Nice throw." Rose gives Ash a thumbs up.

"Thank you." Ash nods.

The group run over to three Banshee's.

"I think me and Ruby can squeeze into one." Rose says.

"This is gonna be a tight fit." Ruby sighs.

The two Spartans get into their own Banshees, while the Two ODSTs share one.

"Ow, this is so not ment for two people!" Ruby complains.

"Why did I think this was a good idea?!" Rose asks himself.

The three fly off a platform protruding from the cliff. They fly on and eliminate a large group of Covenant as they reach the nav point. They land and climb out of their banshees.

The two ODSTs fall out of their Banshee.

The group enter the room containing the Phase Pulse Generator.

"That's the pulse generator." Cortana informs. "The center core is the signal amplifier. That's what we need to shut down. We need to interrupt the pulse generator's energy stream. I've adjusted your shield system so that it will deliver an E.M.P burst to disrupt the generator, but you'll need to walk into the beam to trigger it. The E.M.P blast should neutralize the generator. But it will also drain your shields and leave you vulnerable until they recharge."

"I thought it was Emp." Rose mutters.

The group steps into the generator. The ground shakes rapidly as a small explosion drains the Spartans energy shields.

""Objective accomplished! The pulse generator has overloaded. Scanning... the generator's central core is offline. Well done." Xi cheers. 

"Huh, that was too easy..." Rose says. "Needed a bigger explosion."

Ruby face palms.

More Sentinels emerge, but are swiftly destroyed.

Breaking Stuff to Look Tough

"The second pulse generator is located in the adjacent canyon." Cortana informs. "Move out, and I'll mark the target with a nav point when we get closer."

The group reaches the bridge in the middle of the canyon, meeting more Covenant troops.

"Head through that door." Cortana says. "That's the way to the next canyon."

The group fights through Covenant troops, in the distance Flood combat forms are attacking more Covenant patrols.

The Spartans and ODSTs fight their way across several bridges that they previously traversed on their way to the Control Room. They fight various Covenant troops.

A Zealot suddenly ambushes Ash and tries to stab him with an energy sword. Ash back steps several swings and takes out the Kukri knife from his right pauldron. 

The Zealot chuckles at Ash, and an energy dagger activates on it's other wrist. It goes to charge at Ash, but several sniper rounds hit him in the side, destroying his shields and taking a chunk of its thigh off.

The Elite yells in pain and falls to the ground. Ash runs forward and lifts up the Elite's neck and slices it open, purple-blue blood spilling from the wound.

Ash cleans his knife and puts it away. Ruby approaches and reloads her sniper, Ash gives her a thumbs up.

Ash laughs as he fires his shotgun at several Grunts running away from him.

Ruby approaches the dead Zealot and she grabs the energy dagger on its writs and starts pulling at it.

"What are you doing?" Ash asks.

"Well..." Ruby grunts. "I've only see high ranking..." She grunts again. "Elites wear these!" She rips the energy dagger off the Elite. "So I'd thought it'd be like a trophy, and besides." She puts the weapon on her right wrist and activates it. "It seems pretty useful." 

She deactivates the energy dagger.

"Huh, I guess you're right." Ash says. "My energy sword is pretty useful to me."

The group keeps moving on and they make it to the bottom of the canyon.

A large Covenant force defends the area, including a Wraith tank, several Shades and numerous infantry. The group manages to kill them all and leaves the area. Proceeding past the area where a couple Warthogs lie overturned.

Ash and the Chief flip the Warthogs and the Spartans get into one car and the ODSTs get in the other. Some strange music plays over Rose's radio.

They continue to the next area where they fight through another large contingent of Covenant forces, including another Wraith and two Hunters. Eventually they are able to defeat all hostiles present, allowing them to commandeer some Banshees. 

They use the Banshees to wipe out several Grunt operated Shade turrets as well as several fuel rod gun wielders and their Zealot commander.

The group enters the second generator room after parking their banshees. An intense fight between Flood combat forms and Sentinels rages around the generator. After clearing the room, the Spartans steps into the generator and disables the generator.

 Flood combat forms jump out from holes in the wall while some enter the room through the door, including several wielding heavy weapons.

"That did it!" Xi cheers. " The pulse generator overloaded. One more to go."

They all clear the room and return outside.

Cortana speaks to the group. "I've located the Pillar of Autumn. She put down twelve-hundred kilometers up spin. Energy readings show her fusion reactors are still powered up. The systems on the Pillar of Autumn have fail safes that even I can't override, without authorization from the Captain. We'll need to find him or his neural implants, to start the fusion core detonation. One target remaining. Let's take care of the final pulse generator."

The two Spartans and ODSTs draw closer to the tunnel that leads to the third canyon.

"That tunnel leads to the next section of the canyon." Cortana informs. "The final pulse generator we need to destroy is through there."

A large number of Covenant troops are embroiled in a struggle with yet more Flood forms in the tunnel. Eventually killing all combatants as well as several more rocket launcher wielding combat forms further down the passage, the group finds another closed door. 

The door malfunctions, however, forcing the group to leave whatever vehicle they were using. Fighting their way through more Flood forms, they eventually manage to leave the tunnel and exits into the third canyon.

Final Run

Everyone witnesses a group of Covenant led by two Sangheili Zealots making a stand on a hill against hugely overwhelming numbers of Flood. Eliminating the survivors, the group exits into another valley where yet another battle is taking place. A nearby cave opening hosts a large supply of abandoned UNSC weapons and ammunition, allowing the Spartan the opportunity to resupply. 

Eventually they enters a final valley where a group of Flood throw themselves at a mass of Covenant defenses, including two Wraith tanks, several Shade turrets and a large number of assorted infantry being commanded by a Sangheili Zealot. Later in the battle, a squad of Stealth Elites as well as another Zealot and a Hunter and more infantry emerge.

After a long battle the group emerges victorious. 

Rose lays on the ground and he groans. "I'm so sore!"

Ruby takes her energy take out of the neck of an Elite and kicks the body to the ground. "Me too. We haven't done this kinda thing since we got stranded on Skopje with Caleb and Caylnn. And we have to hijack a Covenant Muten-pattern Storm Cutter during a glassing."

Rose laughs. "Caylnn was so crazy during that, forcing all of us to get into the Phantom and hijack a ship in space. Caleb had fun manning the guns, I enjoyed flying it. What an experience!"

Ash looks over the battlefield as he catches his breath. Chief walks up to him.

"Ready?" Chief asks.

"Yeah." Ash replies. "Let's move, soldiers."

Ruby and Rose groan and follow after the two Spartans and they enter four Banshees this time. 

They fly up to a platform that leads to the third generator. Sentinel Aggressors appear and fire at them. They land and enter the room containing the third generator, Aggressors with energy shielding appear. And they swiftly deal with them and disable the final generator.

"Fine generator neutralized!" Xi cheers. "Let's get out of her."

The group begin to walk away from the generator.

"Let's find a ride and get to the Captain." Chief says.

"No, that'll take too long." Cortana says.

The group turn back to the generator.

"You have a better idea?" Ash asks.

"There's a teleportation grid that runs throughout Halo. That's how the Monitor moves about so quickly. I learned how to tap into the grid when I was in the Control Center. Unfortunately, each jump requires a rather...consequential expenditure of energy."

"Something tells me I'm not gonna like this." Chief says.

But I'm pretty sure I can take the needed energy from your suits without permanently damaging your shields. Needless to say, I think we should only try this once." Cortana says.

"I don't like this id-" Rose starts.

"Do it." Chief interrupts. 

The two Spartans and two ODSTs are teleported away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-24-2023

3466 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 212 13
Halo, but with an oddity. Reach. . . the only planet, other than Earth herself, where loss was not an option. Unfortunately. . . the enemy they face...
2.5M 81.6K 23
Amber was rejected at birth by her less than caring parents, leaving her in the forest to die. Luckily a young woman came walking down the same path...
36K 760 18
(Side note: this is a Halo fan story and will not follow the lore at all. Plus I do not own anything from Halo.) WARNING: this involves violence and...
101K 3.1K 195
Follow Ash and his explosive experiments as he goes through adventures with his friends on Red Team and those Dirty Blues. Season 1-10 (I don't own a...