SEASICK

By L_Randy

A kind, gentle, yet naive princess runs away from her caged up life, hoping to finally experience life beyond... More

1 ☠︎︎ 𝔾𝕠𝕝𝕕𝕖𝕟 ℂ𝕒𝕘𝕖𝕤 ☠︎︎
2 ☠︎︎ 𝕎𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕊𝕙𝕚𝕡𝕤 ☠︎︎
3 ☠︎︎ 𝕊𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕂𝕖𝕪 ☠︎︎
4 ☠︎︎ 𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟𝕤 ☠︎︎
5 ☠︎ 𝔼𝕪𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕒 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟 ☠︎︎
6 ☠︎︎ 𝕀𝕧𝕠 ☠︎︎
7 ☠︎︎ 𝕊𝕝𝕖𝕖𝕡𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕒 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟 ☠︎︎
8 ☠︎︎ ℝ𝔸𝔾𝔼 ☠︎︎
9 ☠︎︎ 𝕆𝕝𝕕𝕜𝕖𝕖𝕡, 𝕟𝕖𝕨 𝕗𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤 ☠︎︎
10 ☠︎ 𝔸 𝕋𝕙𝕦𝕞𝕡 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒 ℂ𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕜 ☠︎︎
11 ☠︎︎ 𝔻𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕟 𝕊𝕒𝕧𝕚𝕠𝕣𝕤 ☠︎︎
12 ☠︎︎ 𝕌𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕄𝕒𝕤𝕜 ☠︎︎
13 ☠︎︎ ℂ𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕒𝕚𝕟'𝕤 ℂ𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 ☠︎︎
14 ☠︎︎ 𝕊𝕢𝕦𝕖𝕒𝕝 𝕃𝕚𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖 ℙ𝕚𝕘𝕘𝕪 ☠︎︎
15 ☠︎︎ 𝔼𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕠𝕩 ☠︎︎
16 ☠︎︎ 𝔽𝕚𝕣𝕤𝕥 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖 ☠︎︎
17 ☠︎︎ 𝕊𝕡𝕖𝕒𝕜 𝕄𝕪 𝕃𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕦𝕒𝕘𝕖 ☠︎︎
18 ☠︎︎ 𝕊𝕚𝕟𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕄𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ☠︎︎
19 ☠︎︎ 𝔹𝕣𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣'𝕤 ℂ𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕪 ☠︎︎
20 ☠︎︎ 𝔽𝕠𝕩 𝔽𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕝 ☠︎︎
21 ☠︎︎ ℂ𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕂𝕚𝕤𝕤𝕖𝕤 ☠︎︎
22 ☠︎︎ 𝕃𝕠𝕤𝕖 ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕝 ☠︎︎
23 ☠︎︎ 𝔼𝕟𝕖𝕞𝕪 𝕃𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕤 ☠︎︎
24 ☠︎︎ 𝔽𝕠𝕩 𝔽𝕚𝕣𝕖 ☠︎︎
25 Kill Who?
26- Royal Pains
27- Tears Of First Love
28- Pools of Honey, Pools of Blood
29- Melting Point
30- Dangerous Trails
31- Call Out to Me
32- Rolling Heads
33- Meaningless Desire
34- Within Reach
35- Gifts
36- Captain of Hearts
AN- Names?
37- Icy Irritation
38- In the Arms of a Bear
39- Beg the King
40- Snowing on the Sun
41- Attack from the Snow
42- Strangers
43- Love Bites
44- Parting Thoughts
45- Familiar Faces
46- Tavern Tussle
47- Brother Dearest
48- Do Not Touch
49- Do I Look Happy?
50- Letters of Prosperity
51- Dead.
52- Mamoru's Letter
53- The Hand-off
54- A Single Cut
55- Scorched Bones
56- Silas's Letter
57- Stormy Memories
58- Ruby Red
59- Wrath of the Forgotten
60- A Queen's Den
61- Raise Your Right Hand
62- The Last Letter
63- Run.
64 - Part 1: Dominance
Q&A?
AN- Answer
65- Part 2: Submission
66- Settled
67- A Queen's Effort
FILLER- #4 Quirks
68- Why?
69- Gentle and Beautiful Truth
70- Depravity. Chaos. Wickedness.
71- True Warmth
AN // SURPRISE
72- Vision of Red
73- Sly Fox
74- What Sort of Fun?
75- Capture If You Can
76- Exploding Emotions
77- To Have and To Hold
78- A Queen's Demand
79- Apologies, Apologies
80- Envious
Hey...
Edits x link in comments
82 - Frozen Moments
83- Fear of Realization
84- In the Bushes

81- Read the Room

1.8K 86 11
By L_Randy

It was early the next day while the crew busied themselves with prep for the next stop, the last stop. Alana had spent the better half of the day prior embellishing the patches she made for the pirates on whatever they brought her.

Ivo chose his ivy vines to be added to the hilt of his sword, as well as Leopoldo. However, Kazumi opted to have his sunflower sewn to the inside hem of his captain's coat.

It took a few hours for her to complete, not that it was hard work but perhaps she was being more meticulous than needed, she wanted them perfect. She found comfort in the busy work as well, having her mind drift away from the raging troubles in the forefront, even if it was just to sew flowers to things. She had begun to feel stir-crazy, sitting or standing around all day for months, Kazumi refusing to let her help with any real work. Alana finally felt like she wasn't in the way and belonged on the ship as she worked on their items, and now she couldn't get enough.

"Please, Kazumi?" Alana pleaded.

"No." He replied quickly and plainly. 

"Please?" She begged immediately once more.

Who would've thought begging for chores would be met with such resistance?

"I have nothing suitable for you to do, Alana." He finally turned his golden gaze down to her, soaking in her pleading expression.

"Scrubbing the deck?"

"Henry is already doing that."

"Cleaning the mirrors?"

"Already done." Kazumi almost shrugged.

"Cleaning the cannons?"

"Alana, be realistic." Kazumi almost shuddered at the thought of her near the cannons.

"I'm just so bored..." Alana whined. "And I feel like I'm in the way while everyone works so hard."

Kazumi's eyes traveled her features as she peered out at the deck, watching the crew rush around and aid in the journey. Her countenance was saddened and longing, it made his heart squeeze at the sight, knowing he could change that. Alana was never one to argue or whine to begin with, he knew it was out of her character. By that measure, he could tell just how important this was to the young woman.

"Fine..." He spoke softly. "Leopoldo is sorting through land maps in the study, supposedly." He was sure to add.

Alana perked up immediately her kind smile returning once again like phoenix from ashes.

"He is supposed to be finding a map to the capital through the Taycian forests. You may go assist him with that."

Alana's brows pulled in. "I thought you already had that map?" Alana thought back to all the times Kazumi held the parchment in his hand.

"I do, but there is an older, personal version Goa kept, it highlighted the path with the least foot traffic. The map I have is a general area, no telling who or what is waiting on the trails it details."

"Are you worried we'd run into trouble?" Alana mused.

Kazumi's brow twitched. Worried? Does she think so little of me?

"It's not the trouble you may be thinking of. We are running on a tight schedule. Any hold-ups or anyone slowing us down cannot be tolerated. It'd be simple enough with the four of us, but as you'll be joining it is best to avoid highly populated villages or terrain you won't be able to traverse." 

If there were trouble, we could certainly take care of it, however, I think we've exposed her to too much violence in a short period. She'll become like we are, numb, to the idea of carnage. I cannot have that for her. That, or have her fear us.

"Oh, okay." Alana mulled over his words, feeling dejected he practically admitted she was a hindrance to their journey. But she did not let it phase her, she kept her soft smile and headed down the quarter-deck.

"Thank you!" She called behind her to the raven-haired captain. "I am grateful!"

Alana took the stairs below deck by twos, excited to finally be put to use. Her mind was astray with the thought of docking in Taycia, clouded with the anticipation of the trek to the capital. Alana had no way to take her mind off things as she exhausted any resource at her disposal; she spent all of yesterday embroidering, she attempted to read one of Leven's books but the thought of reading the word "princess" once more made her want to vomit, and the entirety of her morning was dedicated to deep cleaning her cabin.

Reaching the room dedicated to meetings she slowed her pace just slightly, noting the door was ajar. Just on the other side, Alana could hear the slight rummaging and parchment rustling. Her heart rate spiked a bit, and she couldn't understand why she felt uncomfortable barging in, but the knot in her stomach caused her to pause.

It's only Leopoldo, why do I feel so nervous all of a sudden? Alana nibbled on the inside of her cheek gently, easing as quietly as she could to the door, peeking in before she could think of herself as spying.

Her honey eyes landed swiftly on his tall figure standing straight with his back to her, he held an old, tattered map in front of him appearing to examine it for half a second before carefully rolling it back up. Alana watched on as his long, waist-length white strands toppled over his shoulder as he bent to retrieve another map, which he halted in doing so, causing Alana's stomach to twist thinking he would suddenly turn and catch her beholding him. But to her fortune, he still paid her no mind even if he was to have noticed her, and plucked a thin black tie from his wrist, undoing the knot quickly. Leopoldo then gathered all of his luscious hair and quickly fastened it into a neat-messy bun before returning to his duty, shifting through the map chest, once his hair was out of the way.

Her heart raced a bit more, Leopoldo rarely wore his hair in a bun, if so, it was only for a short time before he let it down again. However, the sight of it always made Alana think back to the precious night he visited her room after the festival in Ekapan. How beautiful he appeared to her in candlelight, with wisps of his alabaster hair framing his face. How sincere he seemed when he requested her first kiss.

Maybe it is all the affection... I must admit I've been nothing short of lewd in my behavior, engaging in such acts with different men... and Leopoldo was technically my first kiss, I suppose since then the gods are doing their damnedest to desensitize me from kissing altogether. But I can't help it, whenever that night pops into my head, it's a miracle I don't melt. It must be natural to feel like this sometimes.

It was a rare occasion for Alana to be completely alone with one of the pirates, one or more always nearby. The last few days it seems she cannot help from finding herself alone with one of them, and something chest-pounding always seems to happen when they have her alone.

"Dear, you're making me nervous," Leopoldo stood holding another map, tilting his head and shooting a half-lidded gaze and smirk over his shoulder. "I feel so vulnerable." He joked.

Alana's heart went careening into her gut, a heat emanating from her neck to her cheeks.

"Oh," She shakily squeaked, pushing the door open to take a step inside. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

Gods, I am a creep.

"Sorry? Nonsense." He replied looking back to the map. "I quite like being watched by you, but I much prefer it at a closer range."

Leo never seems nervous; he always makes jokes about embarrassing matters.

Alana wrang her hands together as she took slow, painful steps towards him, shattered with embarrassment. The soles of her boots sounded like thunder to her as her heels connected with the wooden floors, the soft footsteps filling the silence.

"Um," She practically cleared her throat quietly. "Kazumi told me I could help you... look for the map... that shows the pathways... to the capital... with the least amount of issues..."

Alana never realized how excruciatingly slow a person could ramble until she was caught peeping on someone she had the intention of working with. She was so desperate for the distraction of work she disregarded the idea of fleeing from embarrassment the second his eyes found hers.

Leopoldo softly chuckled. "I am glad you're here to remind me what exactly I'm looking for in such detail." He admitted. "All these maps, half of them are so old you cannot make anything out if you wished."

"But I am a bit wounded Captain assumed I needed assistance with such a simple task."

"No!" Alana interjected. "It isn't you, Leo, I begged Kazumi."

Leopoldo turned the girl once more; this time with an almost serious expression that nearly unsettled her. "You begged?" He quizzed.

Alana nodded, not able to find her words under his intense, deep sapphire-blue gaze.

"Begged to help me?" He elaborated.

Alana crinkled her brows for a millisecond. "Just to be of help anywhere,"

The confession dug deep into Leopoldo's heart. For a moment, I was so happy to think my dear sweet girl had begged to spend time with me. So, Captain truly does think little of me.

Alana shifted awkwardly, his gaze growing icier and more intense as if he were deep in thought. Alana began to believe she had said something wrong; she never truly saw such a displeased expression on the usually carefree elegant man.

But before she could inquire about his countenance the bad mood seemed to dissipate from his features, replaced by his known soft smirk.

"Then help," He directly but softly orders. "I seem to keep getting the maps mixed up, you will be responsible for rolling them back up and holding onto them, so they aren't placed back into the chest."

He started her assignment immediately, holding out a large piece of parchment, so faded Alana would've never pegged it as a map to anywhere. But she smiled anyway, accepting it quickly and very carefully rolling it up.

The two continued this handoff for only a short time before Alana's arms were full of maps and the chest was nearing the last few. Leopoldo hadn't said a word since he assigned her the duty of map holder, and quite honestly, it was unnerving her more. She knew him to be the type of person that always had something to say, even if it was about nothing at all. It was odd for him to be so quiet and so solely focused. She half wondered if her lurking had truly upset him.

If I had found someone watching me from a crack in the door, I can't say I would be so talkative with them either. I probably offended him, or worse, creeped him out. He did say I was making him nervous, but then again, he said it was alright. Maybe he didn't mean it and just did not want to hurt my feelings by truthfully telling me how much of a wretch I am.

The thought alone of Leopoldo viewing her as such made her skin crawl.

"Leo." Alana almost whispered.

Leopoldo hummed in response.

"I am sorry." Alana adjusted the papers in her arms anxiously. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable; I was just...." Alana began an excuse before she even had one formed in her mind, at least one good enough to replace the truth.

Leopoldo did not immediately respond or deny the 'uncomfortable' aura he may have hinted at, his interest was piqued. Whatever excuse floated from her lips was far too tempting to cut her short.

"You 'just' what, dear?" Leopoldo probed.

Alana took half a second to bite her plump bottom lip and the other half to dryly chuckle as if it alone could cut through her nerves. Yet, the chuckle seemed nothing more than a butter knife to an oak tree.

"I just... you're just... very beautiful," Alana admitted. She settled on it as it wasn't a lie nor nearly as embarrassing as admitting to reminiscing on her first kiss. Nevertheless, it was still a statement that caused even more heat to flood her cheeks softening them to a slight peach complexion.

Leopoldo partly scoffed, partly laughed as the unexpected response threw him.

"Why, dear, how sweet." He mused glancing to her gaze for a moment before looking back to the maps. "Did it take you all these months to notice? Or was my back especially handsome today?" He couldn't help himself, teasing Alana, seeing her blush grow, it excited him.

"Uh..." Alana sounded softly. "I-I have always noticed."

"And yet you've never stopped and gawked before, why today?" Leopoldo pushed more handing over another map, but instead of grabbing the next he turned to face her, arms crossed. His pensive blue stare bore so deep into her it was as if he was finding the answer himself in her eyes.

"Um..." I should've just kept my mouth shut. Alana's heart knocked faster against her chest, casting her eye-line to the floorboards, fixating on the toes of Leopoldo's dark navy boots.

"Are my shoes particularly beautiful today as well?" Leopoldo immediately called her out.

Her eyes darted back up to his inadvertently, brows furrowing as she tried to decide whether he was teasing or torturing her.

"I don't know why today?" She said meekly, questioningly as if seeking his approval. "I just... I don't know... sometimes looking at you makes my heart hurt."

"Hurt?" He retorted promptly, his tone offended.

"Beat!" She corrected quickly. "Too fast..." Alana trailed off.

Now it was Leopoldo's heart that started to ache. "I see."

"I just wanted to apologize if I made you uncomfortable with my actions, spying that is."

"What makes you think I'm uncomfortable?"

"You talk constantly."

"Excuse me?" Leopoldo deadpanned, once again thrown.

"I'm sorry," How am I possibly making this worse? "it's just I've never known you to be so quiet, I figured I upset you somehow."

Leopoldo made no discernible change in expression; Alana could not read him in the slightest. She started to realize it was probably Leopoldo of all the pirates who was the hardest to read. With the others, she got very nearly what was just below the surface.

Ivo's eyes gave away his true emotions, for Leven it was his tone and for Kazumi, it was how much he decided to talk. Leopoldo however, for so long, was elusive to her. It wasn't that his smiles were false, or his tone was honeyed, but perhaps he was the most normal appearing of them all. He had no qualms in expressing emotions through countenance or voice, in fact, she felt that may be the reason she is so nervous right now, he simply was not showing any tell in the slightest.

Sure, Leo speaks in an overly sweet tone sometimes, but you can always tell when it's mockingly as a joke. He is never quiet about how he feels or hides it when he's upset or sad. It's odd how Leven uses his anger as a mask, but his brother is so different. It isn't like Leopoldo to act like this.

"Tell me, dear..." Leopoldo trailed. "Do we overwhelm you as you do us? Or do you take pleasure in watching us squirm just as much?"

Alana blinked hard, taken aback by the sudden question that leaned more like an accusation.

"Uh... um," Alana's heart boomed in her chest, partly from embarrassment, partially from her eyes taking in the sight of his unnaturally pensive stare.

"I don't..." Alana began but Leopoldo stepped forward, almost causing her to jump and her lips sealed together once again, her eyes unable to tear from his.

"You know, dear..." He reached towards her, tracing the back of his finger down her cheek, slowly to her chin. "You are so innocent, almost too innocent."

"Huh..." Alana breathed, a deafening drumming coming from her chest.

"You may think me rude for saying so, but I have met many women, and none have compared to you in any capacity. Think of it, you stand here in front of me, as you've done with the others, blushing so beautifully, stirring something primal in us all. You walk around here, causing our hearts to rush and thunder across the seas. Do you know that's what you do? Or is it, cruelly, completely natural for you?" His tone was not kind, nor cunning or sweet. It was as if he scolded the woman before him. It made Alana squirm uncomfortably, regretting having begged Kazumi to allow her to help.

"Cruelly..." Alana absentmindedly mimicked quietly, thinking of his words and the closing distance. "I-I am very sorry, Leopoldo..."

"Leopoldo," He now mocked. "Why be so formal now? What happened to 'Leo'?"

Alana's mind was rushing, she was almost becoming upset with the barrage of questions that only aided in making her heart ache worse. Leopoldo had never acted so bitter around her by any measure. She was bewildered by his change of character. Just as Leven did the day before, but this was different. This was almost personal, she felt truly hurt by him. Which only confused her more, his words were not mean, but she knew he paid her no compliments with what he said.

"Leo," She corrected. "I don't know if I upset you," She finally tore her eyes away from him, glancing down and to the right of him. "But you're the one being cruel right now. Please, stop this. I did not mean to offend you if I have, we can continue in silence." Tears brimmed her eyes for reasons she didn't know.

Alana would have never thought one of the pirates could make her cry, at the very least that it would be Leopoldo.

The silence that hung over them was bone-crushing, the creaking of the ship shattering through slowly all around the two. Alana clenched her jaw, hoping to keep from sniffling.

Leo, he has never been mean to me once, and even now his words are not cruel... just overwhelming. He sounds so upset with me, it's like he's insulting me with kind words. I don't understand what's happening.

Leopoldo's heart rattled watching the woman's bottom lip quiver, her downcast doe eyes sparkle with tears. His brows twitched together lightly as if he had just realized what he had been doing. He took a step back, looking down at the chest of maps once more.

"Forgive me," He cast his eyes down as well. "I seemed to have taken my frustration out on you, dear. That was indeed very cruel of me. I am ashamed."

Alana glanced back at him. What can I say back to that? He is being so odd, I don't know if he'll torture me more if I say anything.

"The last thing I want is to have you hate me," Leopoldo raised his hand to his forehead, covering his right eye as well. "It was uncalled for to tease you in such a callous manner. My words always have to be chosen so carefully, I tend to forget that sometimes." He continued. "Please, do not feel as though you've done anything wrong. I cherish every second your eyes are on me and only me, truly I do."

Alana shifted again, this time looking all the way up to Leopoldo.

"Then... why, why were you being like that?" She tamely mused.

Leopoldo sighed, dropping his hand. "I was- am – in an awful mood, dear. This task is not as easy for me as I stated before." His eyes focused harshly on the maps.

"Finding the map...?" Alana titled her head. That caused such a foul mood?

"Well," Leopoldo lightly scoffed. "I cannot read them." He confessed.

Alana's entire face twisted into confusion, not hiding the fact that his words were the last thing she expected to hear.

"You can't what?" She blurted before thinking. His blue eyes cut to her, she would've been sliced down if it had been a blade.

"I cannot read cursive, nor write it." He exposed more despite her reaction beginning as the one he so desperately wanted to avoid seeing from her.

But... but why? How can he not? Reading is so natural, so easy...

"I was a slave, dear," Leopoldo spoke as if he could hear her thoughts. "Until I was thirteen. Reading and writing were not relevant to ice cutting."

Her heart sank as her ignorance dawned on her. Oh my, gods. I am evil, I am stupid, I am so cruel. How could I be so dumb? To react like that, to make him feel less than, even in a minute way. I am so stupid.

"Leo, I'm sorry-" Alana began but she was cut short.

"Dear," Leopoldo interjected. "Don't."

She bit her lip, brows still creased racking her brain for ways to make up for something she did not cause herself.

"It is just the reality for most slaves, most Taycian citizens." He continued. "Leven was young, he caught onto reading quickly and loved it, but at the time I did not see much point to learning, supposedly I never needed to before. I'm sure the captain figures this task will help me, but I've been down here for almost two hours and it's becoming frustrating. Or perhaps this is just an example of a poor joke from a madman with no sense of humor."

Alana looked at the maps left in the chest and back at Leopoldo.

"Why... why didn't you ask me for help?"

"Well, your reaction was something I wished to spare myself." Leopoldo almost chuckled. "I don't much care what others think of me, but when I realized you were here, I felt dread." He admitted aloud. "I felt embarrassed, and I haven't felt embarrassed... ever."

"Don't be!" Alana blurted once again. "It's okay! I'm sorry for how I reacted!"

Alana meant it from the bottom of her heart, ready to offer it up on a platter as a form of apology. Her heart sank deeper as she realized she unknowingly made him feel ten times worse than she had felt from his stoic teasing.

Leopoldo rolled his eyes at her, fortunately playfully. "Dear, I know you are a sweet ray of sunshine, but this isn't something I need your thousands of apologies for. It truly has nothing to do with you, there's no apology owed."

But there is! It's my family...

"I would like to be clear, I can read as well as write, but only print. Cursive is and always has been tricky for me. And fearfully, Goa's handwriting does not help." Leopoldo assured.

Alana peered once again at the maps, carefully this time, and realized he was right. "I don't think I could read that either..." she breathed, squinting at the maps now.

Her chin was quickly captured in a gentle grasp between his forefinger and thumb. She softly gasped as her attention was brought right back to Leopoldo.

"Are you making a joke of this?" He was only inches from her face. She turned a bright peach as her eyes widened.

"N-no!" Dammit, I just need to shut up! "I just-"

Her lips were clasped shut by Leopoldo's as he closed the gap between them lightning-fast. His spare hand found the small of her back to pull her in. The kiss felt rough, she almost winced at the pressure he applied to the affection he showed. Her arms went limp, almost dropping the maps she held being crinkled between them.

A kiss? He's kissing me? Alana couldn't even shut her eyes, Leopoldo was sling-shotting her so quickly between revelations and emotions.

When he broke the kiss after only a few seconds she stumbled, realizing Leopoldo had lifted her to her tippy toes. As he leaned back she saw he wore a devilish smirk.

"I hope you do forgive me for my atrocious mood, but I could not help myself, dear." He ran a bright pink tongue over his bottom lips as his eye-line fell to hers. "You look so delicious when you blush, like a sweet peach."

Her head swam, fighting to stay afloat trapped in a room with a shark, like Leopoldo. He preyed on her innocence, banking on the fact he will always be the one to cause such a shade to become her.

Dear sweet sunshine, how beautiful you are when you glow, surely it is the sun trapped inside you, and only I can make it shine like this.

"Uh..." Alana embarrassingly looked away from him. "It's okay, Leo." She practically whispered.

He's still being cruel, but I cannot be mad right now, not when... her thoughts trailed as she felt the slight breeze brush over her now wet lips, his mark being left behind creating such a cold sensation that sent a shiver down her body, she pressed her lips together hoping to rid herself of the feeling and return to a sober state of mind.

"So do you think less of me now? For being so cruel and unable to read?" Leopoldo fully released her, but now his time was back to his usual playful yet elegant self.

"Not at all," Alana chimed immediately, perking up at his question. "I would never judge you, Leo."

Leopoldo smirked, his chest dropping in relief he didn't realize he had been waiting on.

"How sweet," he cooed. "Then would you help a poor soul? If you can..."

Alana had almost forgotten everything from the moment she walked in, smiling just as big as usual. "Of course!"

She turned excitedly to the long table sitting in the middle of the room, skipping over with a mission. Help was why she was there after all.

She dropped the maps to the surface of the table allowing them to roll as they pleased.

"Let's see..." she whispered unrolling the first one.

Leopoldo watched her eyes fixate on several different things in rapid succession, bouncing around as she examined the map. His heart ached from his behavior.

Even to apologize I only teased her more, what a wretch I am, truly. To be so evil towards someone so special and for my shortcomings at that. I am a true stain on humanity.

Alana cast the map she held to the side and moved on, she did this repeatedly. She did not need much help for what she looked for, she knew Taycian maps like her own name. Her geography tutor drilled each and every territory into her head from the minute she began her studies. Not only her own, but surrounding kingdoms, suitor's kingdoms, Alana could name them all. Finding a map of her own kingdom was no fret.

The distraction of being of assistance washed away as the awkwardness floated in between the wafting sounds of parchment paper and silence.

My mother and father's reign has caused so much damage to our citizens, Leopoldo alone has suffered enough to make my heart break. And to know the others have as well, what Ivo and Kazumi endured as a result of our poor rule. Knowing there is more, millions, more suffering. How could I have been so selfish? So ignorant? I knew of the troubles of my kingdom, but not of the extent. I ran from the palace where at least I was taught to read, at least I was fed, how could I be so selfish? So spoiled...

Alana scolded herself as she followed the outline of a river bank of ink.

I feel as though the tension with everyone has been so high. First the night with Ivo, or rather Ghost, then Momo royally got under Kazumi's skin, and yesterday with Leven. Now, Leopoldo. It seems I continuously upset everybody. I am such a useless girl, I am only good to be in the way.

"You truly are special, you know, dear?" Leopoldo's voice crashing through the void of awkwardness and self-loathing was enough to make Alana jolt.

"Uh, hm?" She hummed questionably, only taking her honey eyes off the map for a second to see his eyes were still tied to the map as well. She thought for half a moment perhaps Leopoldo could actually hear her thoughts.

"I was only thinking of yesterday, talking of my past made me think of Leven in our youth and how he's always been so grumpy and particular. Thus, I thought of seeing him allow you into his room." Leopoldo explained carefully. "He has always been so fussy about people intruding in his space, I don't believe even Goa stepped foot past the doorway."

Alana felt an unwarranted surge of pride followed quickly by shame for it.

"Oh, is that right?" Alana chuckled softly.

Gods, please. Not more of his teasing, I am begging. Alana's neck instantly heated, she traded her weight from her left foot to her right.

"I wouldn't think of myself as special, Leven just needed help."

"As do I, but that doesn't make me blind, dear." Leopoldo countered.

"Leo, I cannot take much more teasing." Alana focused with all her might on reading the map.

But I deserve it, for what I've done. Leopoldo seems to always know what I'm thinking, perhaps he teases me so much as his way of punishing me. This whole time he's been torturing me with kindness, his teasing wasn't playful, but pitiless to make me pay for my actions.

"Alana," The sound of her name from his lips was unnatural and not of their world. She had never heard him say her name so seriously, rarely at all in fact.

"Listen to my words," he sounded pleading. "I am sorry that I tease you so much, but every ounce of kindness I pay you is pure. Please, never deny how special you are to me. I will never tease you again if that is what makes you doubt me."

Alana saw nothing but the truth in his eyes, a begging of the soul to truly be heard.

"O-okay, Leo," Alana rigidly nodded, a fuzzy feeling filling her head. "I trust you."

To save her heart from exploding she shifted her eyes back to the map then quickly discarded it for the next one.

"You are all special to me, too." She was sure to say hastily. "I never would've thought my life would be like this six months ago. Finding people that I hold so dear, to think of—" parting with "I truly cherish the Scorched Bones, for showing me life."

Leopoldo's eyes widened by a fraction leading to a soft smile.

"Thank you, dear." He virtually murmured.

Alana busied herself with the next map, instantly recognizing it as a seaside town about a week's journey to the capital. Sprawled all over the map we're nites comparable to chicken scratch, rants, and trails highlighted with diluted ink making a faded gray. Alana's smile returned to her in full as she held it up victorious, cheering: "We found it!"

Leopoldo was almost startled, standing straighter and looking from her to the paper.

"We?" He scoffed.

"Of course," Alana didn't hesitate.

Leopoldo felt his chest warm, easing his hand up to run over her head gently. "You're too cute, dear. I could just eat you up."

Alana ignored his words entirely, all too happy to have completed her task and feeling the dopamine of completion.

"I'll eat you too, Leo!" Alana teased back not thinking of the words she said at all. "I'll put the other maps away, maybe Kazumi has something else for me to do!"

Leopoldo was taken aback by her statement, only proving his point further.

"You're very desperate for work, huh, dear?" He quizzed, leaning against the table.

Alana began to roll maps up. "Mhmm! It's been so boring now that Kazumi won't let me do anything. And something dramatic always seems to happen on land, I'm truly being treated like a prisoner." She griped.

Leopoldo only thought of his plan enough for her to move to another map. "Well, if it's work you want, I have some for you."

She halted, going rigid and zoning her attention onto the white-haired man.

"Really?" One would think her mouth was watering.

Leopoldo chuckled. "Correct, would you like to know what it is?"

"Yes! Tell me!" Alana beamed.

Leopoldo pushed off the table and began towards the door.

"Follow me," he looked over his shoulder with a mischievous grin. "Let's go to my room."

—- - ———————- —————-

Please join the discord for exclusive BTS extras! (edits, art, lore, one-shots, deleted scenes, storyboards, q&a, live updates on progress, etc!) and thank you to those who have joined. I'm not very proud of this chapter,  I've rewritten it about 50 times this past year and this is what I've had had major writers block with. But I am confident enough to post this and I hope you guys enjoyed this other side of Leo.
He's a bit grumpy today, really giving us whiplash. I hope I was able to show his own conflict of emotions surrounding this new found insecurity of his and how it troubled him to have such a feeling for pretty much the first time. He really took us for a spin lol I am thinking it just came off jumbled. But still. I hope it's at least entertaining.
L Randy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 8.7K 24
( YANDERE MUZAN KIBUTSUJI X FEM! READER X YANDERE KOKUSHIBO ) 鬼で所有権: ̗̀➛ ╰─▸ ❝ we are being lenient with you... but it doesn't mean we'll �...
174K 4.5K 20
Reminder : › Blood › Obsessed › Trigger (?) › Horror (?) › Thriller (?) › Murder (?) [★⟩ ------------------ ⟨★] Y/n is a normal girl who's innoce...
244K 11.4K 56
↳ ❝ [ 残酷な意図 ] ❞ ━ yandere kny x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a low-ranking demon of questionable origins captures the ...
240K 9.5K 36
( YANDERE STALKER X FEM! READER ) 気にしない: ̗̀➛ ╰─▸ ❝ I'm the only one that can see you like this, that can 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 you like this ❞ ・꧁.━━ 𝐈�...