Classroom of the Elite: The 1...

By legal_in_my_books

Due to popular demand and requests, I have finally decided to do it. Thanks to @Exotic_Animator for making th... More

Prologue: Soulmate
Chapter 1: First Encounter
Chapter 2: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 3: NTR Peaceful Life-chan
Chapter 4: Jade Bracelet
Chapter 5: May 1st
Chapter 7: Dinner
Chapter 8: Day of Reckoning
Chapter 9: Day of Reckoning Part 2
Chapter 10: Remobilized
Chapter 11: Midterm Complete
Chapter 12: Aftermath
Chapter 13: Triple Dates
Chapter 14: A Burst of Encounters
Chapter 15: Camera
Chapter 16: Guitar
Chapter 17: Trial
Chapter 18: Sweater
Chapter 19: Deserted Island
Chapter 20: Island Exam
Chapter 21: Cruise Ship Harem
Chapter 22: Ending the Cycle of Violence

Chapter 6: Study Group

5.8K 201 147
By legal_in_my_books

Tachibana POV:

What is happening to me?!?

My heart seems to beating faster when I'm near Ayanokouji-kun. It's like when I'm near Horikita-kun. Is Ayanokouji-kun the same as Horikita-kun?

It can't be! No one can be seen as an equal to Horikita-kun.

Although, Ayanokouji-kun is similar to Horikita-kun. They're both have this quiet and mysterious aura and eyes that observed everything and everyone around them.

The reason I don't want to report this to the student council is because it might trouble Horikita-kun. Some people may report this incident to the student council, but if I do, Horikita-kun will have to deal with my troubles personally.

Horikita-kun had always led our class to victory. That's the reason why our class is always in Class A. Because of that, our classmates relied on him. That reliance had kept Horikita-kun busy and made him trustworthy. Horikita-kun's trustworthiness and hardworking attitude made me appreciate and admire him. The burden of Class A became his sole responsibility along with the duties as student council president.

Horikita-kun, I'm sorry...

Sorry about my over reliance on you. I'm sure the rest of Class 3A feels the same way.

The troubles that I caused you...

No. I'll deal with myself. There's no need for Horikita-kun to get involved.

Good thing Ayanokouji-kun have evidence about this. I can use it against that pervert.

This reminded me of my past and why I always a stickler of rules and authority.

**Flashback (9 years ago)**

I was 8 years old. I lived in a relatively normal childhood, but my parents are quite strict and traditional. I lived in one of those traditional Japanese homes that have been renovated.

I was taught to follow the rules, respect the elderly and those that are older than me, and lastly to place my trust and respect to those who deserved it. My parents also have high expectations for me and expected me to exceed academically.

Because of that, I've been a stickler to the rules especially when it comes to school. I studied vigorously and became a honor roll student with top grades in elementary school. My classmates in elementary school would describe me as strict, stern, and "by the book". I followed the school rules to the letter and often reprimand my classmates and other students for not following the rules even if it's just a minor rule break. For example, my school doesn't allow skirts to be shorter than a certain length, but there was a trend going on in the school where girls modified their skirts to be 2 inches shorter. It was very fashionable and I was very tempted to do it, but refrained myself. Instead, I told my teachers about it and the trend got banned. This caused my fellow classmates to isolate me.

It all changed when I met a certain girl. This girl lived in my neighborhood. I've met her about 2 years ago and we've became friends. We couldn't continue the friendship because we were in different classes, but we were put on the class when I was 8 years ago. Her name is Eguchi Naomi and she was my best friend who was my childhood friend. After the whole skirt incident, she was the only girl in the class that still treated me as a friend and did not isolate me. She stayed with me and often tried to include me in girl's activities with the other girls.

Naomi was a carefree girl that liked having fun and enjoy her youth. She's not a major rule breaker, but broke minor rules that are not very important. She was quite popular and friendly towards our classmates. After hanging out with her, I've began changing. I've become more friendly and tolerable about people breaking rules. Of course, it's minor rules that doesn't hurt anyone. My popularity and happiness soared through the roof because I was with my best friend, living out my youth.

That all changed on that day...

One day, me and Naomi decided to sneak out of class during the last 15 minutes. The last period of my class was art class and the teacher teaching was an old woman that had trouble remembering people's faces, so people took turns sneaking out of school in pairs. Naomi and I did it again and it was on 3rd time doing it. At first, I was livid and refused to do it, but once I did it, I couldn't wait to do it again. That gave me a thrill of excitement on doing something that broke the rules.

Anyways, Naomi and I decided to go to the park and wait for the rest of our classmate. She and I laughed about our school life and talked about stories about the rest of our friends. There was a big tree in the park that must've been close a century old. The tree was big and had large branches that can support multiple people. It was strictly prohibited to climb this tree because it became more of a beloved thing in the community. Some people climbed in, mostly stopping around 20-25 feet where the branches are the thickest and could support their weight. But, Naomi climbed higher and higher. I just laughed and jeered her on. The old me would've yelled at her to stop it and come down. I fact, I would've stop her from leaving school 15 minutes early. But, I didn't and broke the rules.

Naomi climbed higher and sat on one of the branches. She laughed and began yelling down at me, encouraging me to join her. I decided to do it even though I had no climbing experience. I made my way to the base of the tree and looked up to find the best path to reach Naomi.

Suddenly, I heard a loud snap and saw Naomi falling forwards me. Instinctively, I ran towards her and a sharp pain ran through my body. The branch Naomi was on was brittle and weak and snapped due to her weight and she fell. Fortunately, I ran and caught Naomi partially resulting in me breaking my arm. Naomi landed on her arms, breaking both of them. She was lucky that she didn't get any more serious injuries, but we both were rushed to the hospital and our parents were contacted.

Although Naomi laughed it off, I could tell that she's in pain and trying her best to smile and laugh. Her parents forgave me and thank me for softening her fall. My parents were furious and punished me severely, forcing me to bow my head down in front of Naomi and her parents.

That's wasn't the end of my punishment. I was scolded upon hours at a time and I realized that I broke the trust that my parents had. The trust that I wouldn't break any rules and hurt anyone. Something that most children don't have with their parents.

I learned on that day: it was all my fault. My fault entirely. My fault that Naomi and myself got injured. My fault that the trust between me and my parents are broken. I would've to repent.

I took on the punishment that my parents gave me: grounded for 2 months straight. I could only go to school and home. During that period of time, I was isolated from my friends and was re-taught by my parents again. The school was notified and security became tighter, so no more children can sneak out.

By the time, I was ungrounded. I was back to the old me, but this time, I was more harsher. I've read the entire school's handbook and followed it to the letter. Even minor refraction of the rules, I would report. I, of course, lost most of my friends and Naomi still reminded me that she forgave me and told me to relax. I didn't listen because Naomi and her parents may have forgive me, but I still haven't forgave myself.

By the time, I got to junior high school. I was basically the same, a stickler to the rules. Me and Naomi are not as close as in elementary school, but we still hang out. I felt our relationship become distant as she and I have new friends.

By the time junior high was over, we went on separate ways and I attended ANHS. I was in Class A and I met Horikita-kun. He exerted an aura of strong leadership that follows the school's rules and traditions. He also had a higher grade than anyone in Class A. I, instantly, admired him and decided that I would follow him.

Horikita-kun joined the student council as vice president, in his first year. He asked me to become his secretary to which I agreed.

**********************************************

Rules are meant to be followed. Without rules, anarchy and chaos will ensued. I learned it the hard way.

"Thank you, Ayanokouji-kun." said Tachibana, smiling.

"It's no problem, Tachibana-senpai." replied Ayanokouji.

"Can you please give me your contact information? I may need to contact you if that pervert bothers me again."

"Okay. If he bothers you again, tell me and I'll take care of him."

Tachibana froze and her face become a little red.

Ayanokouji-kun! You sound so confident. I wonder if Horikita-kun will do the same thing as him. What am I thinking?! Why am I comparing Ayanokouji-kun to Horikita-kun?!? It's obvious that Horikita-kun is superior than him. But, for some strange reason, I feel that I shouldn't care about that.

"T-tthank y-you, Ayanokouji-kun." said Tachibana, averting her eyes. Ayanokouji nodded and turned to leave, but Tachibana lunged forward and grabbed Ayanokouji's wrist. Ayanokouji stopped and turned to Tachibana. She quickly let go of Ayanokouji's wrist, backed away from him, and averted her eyes. Ayanokouji noticed that her face is growing more red.

"C-can I please g-go with y-you? H-he might be back." asked Tachibana.

"Sure. I'll walk you back to your room if you want." said Ayanokouji.

"T-thank you."

Ayanokouji and Tachibana left the scene together in silence. The duo entered the third year dorms and drew some attention. The third years looked at Ayanokouji with raised eyebrows and a bit of confusion. They wondered why the usual strict Tachibana that admires Elder Horikita is walking with an underclassman. Ayanokouji and Tachibana entered the elevator together. Ayanokouji don't know what to say to Tachibana so he decided to stay silent.

"Ayanokouji-kun-" started Tachibana. Ayanokouji turned towards her. Tachibana seems to be having trouble expressing herself and seems to be a little nervous and on edge.

"What is it, Tachibana-senpai? I'm here for you." said Ayanokouji, as gently as he could. Tachibana nodded and her face became flustered.

"The pervert that you saw... he's from Class 3D, so he might harass you because of me. I'm sorry." said Tachibana.

"Don't worry about it, Tachibana-senpai. That guy doesn't seem to be a smart guy and most likely won't make a move against me in front of everyone. Having a senpai get involved with me will probably draw attention." said Ayanokouji.

"I see..." said Tachibana, looking a bit relived.

The rest of the elevator ride was silent and they got off at Tachibana's floor. Ayanokouji walked Tachibana to her room and she unlocked the door. She turned around to face Ayanokouji.

"Thank you, Ayanokouji-kun." said Tachibana.

"No problem. Have a good night, Tachibana-senpai." said Ayanokouji. Tachibana gave Ayanokouji a small smile before closing the door.

Ah!! What's wrong with me?!?

I couldn't be myself when I'm alone with Ayanokouji-kun especially being alone with him in the elevator. My heart couldn't stop beating and my mind was racing, hoping that Ayanokouji-kun would do something with me.

Wait!?!

Why am I having such perverted and immoral thoughts? That's immoral and against the school's rules. But, why do I want it to happen?

No...

NO!!

This can't be! Am I falling in love with Ayanokouji-kun? I mean he did save me from being sexually assaulted. But, my heart belongs to Horikita-kun, but for some reason, my heart is reconsidering.

Why is this happening?

Ayanokouji POV:

Ayanokouji walked back to the elevator, took the elevator down to the ground floor, and exited the third year dorms with questioning looks by some of the third years.

I hope this doesn't cause another incident.

Ayanokouji's phone buzzed and he pulled it out to check it out. It was a message from Kushida.

Kushida: Yamauchi-kun and Ike-kun said okay!

Ayanokouji: That was fast.

Kushida: I just contacted Sudou right now, but I have a good feeling about it!(^w^)

Ayanokouji: Okay. Thank you for doing this.

Kushida: It's no problem, Ayanokouji-kun. Do you want to walk to school tomorrow?

Ayanokouji: I have no problems with it.

Kushida: See you in 7:30 AM!

Ayanokouji was about to put his phone back in his pocket. But, a notification from Horikita appeared on his screen and Ayanokouji opened his chat with Horikita.

Horikita: Ayanokouji-kun, do you want to walk to school with me tomorrow?

Ayanokouji: What is this about?

Horikita: Hmph! No need to be rude. Let's discuss about our study group.

Ayanokouji: I see. Is 7:30 AM good for you?

Horikita: Yes, it should be sufficient.

**Timeskip (next day)**

Ayanokouji is walking to school with Horikita and Kushida. Horikita was shooting a glare at Ayanokouji and Kushida had her usual smile. Horikita was annoyed that Kushida was with Ayanokouji and that she was walking to school with Ayanokouji. Kushida seems happy that she's closer to Horikita and realized that Ayanokouji is the key to getting closer to Horikita.

"You didn't tell me that Kushida-san is coming with us to school." scowled Horikita, giving Ayanokouji a dirty look.

"You didn't ask." replied Ayanokouji which prompted Horikita to give him a karate chop.

"Ow!"

"Don't be like that, Horikita-san. Let's get along!" said Kushida, cheerfully.

"I hope that doesn't ever happen." replied Horikita.

"Calm down, you two. It's early in the morning." said Ayanokouji. The two lowered their heads in apology before Horikita brought the topic she wanted to discuss.

"About the study group..." started Horikita.

"Oh! Ike-kun, Yamauchi-kun, and Sudou-kun are in!" replied Kushida.

"Really?" said Horikita, looking surprised by how quick Kushida got them on board. Ayanokouji gave Horikita a "told you" look, but Horikita rolled her eyes and gave him a "watch out" look. Ayanokouji remembered Horikita's warning about Kushida.

"The study session is taking place today at the library after school." said Ayanokouji.

"Okay. I'll be there." said Horikita.

"And so will I." said Kushida.

"Who said you're going to be there?"

"Don't be like that, Horikita-san? Of course, I'm going to be there."

"Horikita, I told Kushida to join us to motivate them. They seemed to be a group of guys to not take their studies seriously." said Ayanokouji.

"But..." started Horikita.

"Horikita..." said Ayanokouji, staring at Horikita. Their eyes met and seem to have an internal conservation. Ayanokouji's eyes seems to convey and remind Horikita to trust him like what she said yesterday in the cafeteria. Horikita seems to be conflicted to whether or not to trust Ayanokouji, but she reluctantly agreed. She nodded at Ayanokouji, giving him consent. Kushida studied the interaction between Ayanokouji and Horikita.

'What is happening between Ayanokouji-kin and this bitch?!? Did I miss something? Did Ayanokouji-kun choose this ice queen bitch over me? Why?! Calm down, Kikyou. You don't 100% certain that Ayanokouji-kun choose her.' thought Kushida.

"You guys seemed awfully close. Are you guys dating if you mind me asking? asked Kushida, smiling at the duo. Ayanokouji could feel a dark and cold presence from Kushida's smile.

"No." said Ayanokouji.

"Really?!" pressed Kushida.

"Yeah. It told you that yesterday."

"Thanks, Ayanokouji-kun!"

"I don't see why you need to thank me for that."

"Heh...heh...heh... a girl has to keep her secret."

"I see."

Ayanokouji was confused by Kushida's shift in behavior, but he decided to ignore it.

By the time, the trio entered the classroom. Most of the girls and some of the boys already saw Ayanokouji, Horikita, and Kushida walk to school together multiple times during the first month, so they were used to it. The perverted boys on the other hand still glared at Ayanokouji with jealousy and cursed at him. Unfortunately, Ayanokouji was used to it. Before Ayanokouji can approach his desk, he was halted by the three idiots. The three idiots was a nickname given to Yamauchi, Ike, and Sudou.

"Ayanokouji, you bastard!" shouted Ike.

"I thought we were friends. Fuck you and your luck!" said Yamauchi.

"Another one, Ayanokouji?" asked Sudou.

"What do you idiots mean?" asked Ayanokouji.

"Playing dumb, are we? A bunch of 3rd years saw you fooling around Tachibana-senpai yesterday." said Ike.

"Normally, I won't go someone that small, but she's cute I guess." said Yamauchi, fantasizing himself and Tachibana.

So rumors must spread from yesterday. I feel an unpleasant disturbance...

Ayanokouji looked around and saw Horikita glaring at him, Kushida smiling at him, and Mii-chan covering her mouth in shock. All three soulmates have different reactions, but Ayanokouji could feel their cold and dark presence directed at him, demanding an explanation.

"Do you idiots always believe in rumors without proof?" said Ayanokouji.

"What did you say?!" said Sudou, grabbing him by the collar. Ayanokouji calmly stared at him and Sudou's actions seemed to caught everyone's attention.

This looks bad, but it's a blessing in disguise . Now that everyone's attention is directed at me. It makes it easier.

"Whoa! Calm down, Sudou." yelped Ike.

"Why should I?" growled Sudou, directing his glare at Ike.

"Let's not start a fight in the classroom. We might get in trouble!"

"Tch!" said Sudou, letting Ayanokouji go.

"As I said before, don't believe in rumors that doesn't have any proof to back it up. I helped Tachibana-senpai yesterday on something and decided to walk her back to the dorm." explained Ayanokouji.

"Y-yyou didn't do it, did you?" asked Yamauchi, getting a little nervous.

"Do it?" asked Ayanokouji.

"You know..."

"No.", we didn't." Ayanokouji didn't know what Yamauchi meant by "doing it", so he decided the safest answer is to say no.

"I-iis she your girlfriend?" continued Yamauchi. It seems that his anxiety has increased to which Ayanokouji was confused by.

"No." replied Ayanokouji.

"Thank goodness." sighed Yamauchi in relief. Ayanokouji was confused on why Yamauchi is so relieved. Ayanokouji was relieved that he was able to clear up the misunderstanding. Horikita, Kushida, and Mii-chan also seem to relieved.

"Try not to blindly follow and listen to rumors." advised Ayanokouji.

"Sorry about that, man." said Ike, apologetically. Sudou muttered his apology as well, looking down in shame. Yamauchi groaned and said he wanted stuff to be interesting.

With that, homeroom began.

**Timeskip (lunchtime)**

Ayanokouji noticed a vast difference in the class compared to last month. Most of the students are paying attention to class and acted like diligent students. There were some exceptions to that, more notably Sudou, who continued to sleep during class.

Ayanokouji was sitting at his desk and wondered if he should go to the cafeteria. The classroom door slid open and Tachibana walked into the classroom. The entire classroom fell into silence as Tachibana approached Ayanokouji. The perverted boys glared at him and was thinking about the rumors they heard, muttering on how lucky Ayanokouji is and how the rumor is true. Horikita, Kushida, and Mii-chan both look surprised by this, but managed to hold their glares and frustration for now.

"How can I help you, Tachibana-senpai?" asked Ayanokouji, curious on why Tachibana decided to visit him personally.

"Ayanokouji-kun, let's go eat together." said Tachibana. The people nearby gasped and Horikita, who was his neighbor, glared at Ayanokouji.

It's not what you think, Horikita. Don't come after me with a compass later.

"I see no reason to decline your initiation." said Ayanokouji. Tachibana nodded her head happily and Ayanokouji got from his desk. As Tachibana and Ayanokouji walked out of the classroom, the classroom erupted into whispers as Ayanokouji's classmates eyed the duo, wondering if the rumors are true and why Tachibana will come visit Ayanokouji, out of everyone in Class D. Ayanokouji could feel 3 pair of eyes staring at his retreating figure and knew he has a lot of explaining to do later.

As the duo walked to cafeteria, people in hallways stared at the unexpected duo. Most people had seen Tachibana always by Elder Horikita's side as his secretary for the student council.

"Lunch is on me, Ayanokouji-kun." said Tachibana.

"Really?" asked Ayanokouji.

"Consider it as my thank you for helping me out yesterday."

"Okay."

I'm not going to say no to free food.

Ayanokouji selected a rather gourmet and expensive meal. Tachibana nodded and paid for it with her student ID , they picked up their meals, and found an empty table.

"Itadakimasu." they both said.

Ayanokouji began eating his meal and savored it. It's not everyday that Ayanokouji get to eat such a gourmet meal. The meal that Ayanokouji bought was pretty expensive: 4000 points and it was very big with many different sides. Ayanokouji wondered if he can eat it all. Ayanokouji noticed that Tachibana's meal is small and light. Ayanokouji wondered if she's going on a diet or have a small appetite.

"Tachibana-senpai, you seem to be eating a little." noted Ayanokouji.

"What a rude kohai! Girls eat less than boys, you know." said Tachibana, pouting cutely.

"In that case, how about trying out some of my food?"

"E-eh?!? Your food?"

"I mean you did buy it after all. Technically, it's your food and it's such a big meal, so I don't mind sharing with you."

"..."

Tachibana looked at the Ayanokouji's meal with hungry and greedy eyes, she seems tempted.

"No. I can't take it. I bought for you. It feels wrong." replied Tachibana.

"It's fine. I already give you permission."

"But-"

"Say 'Ahh!'" said Ayanokouji, grabbing a piece of sushi with his chopsticks and moved it towards Tachibana. Tachibana's face seems to be glowing red as she averted her eyes from Ayanokouji and his chopsticks.

"My hand is getting tired." said Ayanokouji, slowly retracting his chopsticks. In a flash, Tachibana turned and lunged forward eating the piece of sushi quickly. She quickly averted her eyes from Ayanokouji and chewed her food, shyly with her red face in full display.

"Do you want more?" asked Ayanokouji. Tachibana nodded shyly and Ayanokouji continued to feed her more.

She's really cute if I had to be honest. It's like feeding a cute guinea pig at the petting zoo.

'Why am I doing this? For some strange reason, my heart can't stop beating when Ayanokouji-kun offered to feed me some food. Is Ayanokouji-kun someone special? No, I have Horikita-kun. I mean I have my eyes on him, but lately I can't stop thinking about Ayanokouji-kun. Wait?!? Why did I even offer to buy and eat with him during lunch? I said it was to thank him, but I don't think that is it. I believe I want to spend more time with him and get to know him netter. Impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! Am I falling in love with Ayanokouji-kun?!' thought Tachibana, panicking in her thoughts as she continued to eat.

Ayanokouji finally stopped giving her food. Tachibana has clear a small portion of food from the tray and Ayanokouji finished the rest in silence. Ayanokouji noticed that Tachibana was more quiet than usual and playing her hands.

"Tachibana-senpai?" said Ayanokouji, as gently as possible.

"S-sorry, A-aayanokouji-kun. I'm just t-thinking about some things." replied Tachibana.

"I see."

Ayanokouji decided to not pressure or ask about it. It was Tachibana's own personal problems, so he has no right to interfere with it. Not until she asked him to, then Ayanokouji will consider it.

"Y-you're not going to ask?" asked Tachibana, getting a little nervous.

"Of course not. It's your personal thoughts and business. I have no right to interfere." said Ayanokouji. Tachibana was surprised by Ayanokouji's answer and thoughtfulness, but she nodded happily and thanked him.

'Ah... this feeling that I have with Horikita-kun is here when I'm with Ayanokouji-kun. Am I in love with Ayanokouji-kun? I would say so, but I have to make sure because I now have 2 guys that I'm in love with. Is my feelings for Ayanokouji-kun stronger than the feelings I have with Horikita-kun? I need to find out.' thought Tachibana.

Tachibana looked at her phone and realized what's going on.

"I'm sorry, Ayanokouji-kun. I have some business I need to attend for the student council." said Tachibana.

"Understood. Thank you for the lunch, Tachibana-senpai." said Ayanokouji, giving his thanks. Tachibana nodded, waved goodbye to him, and left the cafeteria. Ayanokouji sat by himself and finished the rest of his meal. Ayanokouji decided to return back to the classroom rather than sit at a table by himself. Ayanokouji was on his way back to the classroom, but he ran into a familiar classmate.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-kun!" said Mori, cheerfully.

"Hey Mori." said Ayanokouji.

"C'mon, dude! You gotta say it with more emotions. It's like I'm talking to a wall."

"That's how I was born with."

"I don't believe it! I would've believed that you were born in a secret lab that trains kids from birth to be super soldiers than you having a blank expression since birth."

Well, she's right to a certain degree.

"Who knows?"

"Ah... your signature line."

"Ayanokouji-kun, you seem to be getting real friendly with that purple-haired senpai."

"As I said earlier, I helped her out yesterday and she decided to treat me to lunch as a thank you."

"I see. But, feeding her food seems more of a date. Are you hiding something from me?" teased Mori.

"Maybe. Or not."

"Dodging the topics, are you? You should be worried about what Horikita-san is going to do when she hear this."

"Don't remind me of this."

Mori giggled, "You're pretty funny, Ayanokouji-kun in a strange way. I feel like your blank face adds to your charm."

"Wow. Someone is being awfully straightforward with their love life."

"E-ehh?! It's not like that. Kushida-chan is going to hate me!"

"Just joking. But, thanks for the compliment."

"It's really hard to tell if you're joking or being serious." pouted Mori. "I'll get you back!"

"You don't have to try that hard."

The duo entered the classroom where some of the students remained during lunch. Mori waved goodbye to Ayanokouji and headed back to her seat. Ayanokouji luckily made it back to his seat because the three idiots were not present in the classroom. Although, there was some curious glances at Ayanokouji. Ayanokouji was concerned about something or rather than a group of individuals.

"Ayanokouji-kun..." said a voice.

"..."

Ayanokouji decided to stay silent and three girls took the seats around him. Horikita, Kushida, and Mii-chan were present and the people nearby decided now's the time to leave their seats and get out of danger.

"Hello, you three. Had a good lunch?" asked Ayanokouji, innocently. He was hoping to start off in an innocent and polite question to hopefully soften them up.

"You seem to be having a good time, Ayanokouji-kun ." said Horikita, coldly.

"I don't deny it." replied Ayanokouji.

"Being honest and direct won't save you now." said Horikita, pulling out her compass. The shining gleam of the sharp tip flashed before Ayanokouji's eyes.

"Wait, Horikita-san! Shouldn't we let Ayanokouji-kun explain before taking action?" said Kushida. Ayanokouji looked at Kushida like she was a guardian angel protecting him from a devil. Mii-chan nodded her head in agreement.

"Tch..."

"I helped out Tachibana-senpai yesterday with some things and she decided to pay me back by treating me to lunch." explain Ayanokouji.

"Y-you're not d-dating?!" asked Mii-chan.

"No."

"Ayanokouji-kun, care to explain why some of my friends spotted you feeding her?" asked Kushida. Horikita and Mii-chan looked shocked by this revelation and Horikita's glare is directed upon Ayanokouji.

"The lunch set she treated me was too big, so I offered her some."

Horikita glared at him and decided to make her move.

"If you don't mind, I'll give you the privilege in tasting my food." said Horikita.

'Why am I doing this?! I don't mind giving Ayanokouji-kun a taste of my food and skills. But, why did I say it like that?!?' thought Horikita.

'Dumb bitch is going to use this opportunity to get closer to Ayanokouji-kun. I won't let her. Wait! Why do I care so much?!?' thought Kushida.

'Horikita-san is making her move! I'm moving too slow...' thought Mii-chan.

"What?" said Ayanokouji, a little shocked by Horikita's sudden invitation.

"You heard me."

"But-"

"Did I stutter, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"I'm fine with it."

"E-eh?!?" yelped Kushida and Mii-chan. They were sure that Ayanokouji was going to decline the offer or at least try to make an excuse to avoid it. They watched in shock as the conversation continue.

"I'll be at your room around 7 PM. Is that fine with you?" asked Horikita.

"Sure. I don't have much ingredients left." replied Ayanokouji.

"Don't worry. I'll buy some before coming to your dorm."

"Understood."

"W-wait." said Kushida, interrupting their planning.

"Is there something wrong, Kushida-san?" asked Horikita, coldly and giving her signature cold look.

"I-i'm coming with you." said Kushida.

"Why? Are you interrupting my time with Ayanokouji-kun?" asked Horikita.

"B-because I want to get to know you better Horikita-san! And also Ayanokouji-kun too."

"Don't make me laugh."

"I agree. Also, I don't like leaving you alone with Ayanokouji-kun." said Mii-chan.

Horikita glared at the duo and Ayanokouji decided to not step in and get involved.

"F-fine." said Horikita, reluctantly agreeing. Horikita realized that nothing is going to change their minds and they'll probably show up at Ayanokouji's room without being invited.

**Timeskip (after class)**

Ayanokouji and Horikita was going to go to the library, but a loudspeaker blared to life and called Ayanokouji to the faculty room to meet with Chabashira-sensei. Horikita raised her eyebrows in curiosity, but she waved Ayanokouji away like he was a fly. Ayanokouji sighed,left the classroom, and knocked on the faculty room door. A male teacher opened the door and Ayanokouji told him that he's being called by Chabashira-sensei. The teacher told him that she just left and would be back shortly. Ayanokouji told him that he'll be waiting outside for her.

Just as the male teacher closed the door, Ayanokouji took a few steps back and stood to the side, away from door and towards the wall. The faculty room door slid open again and a female teacher came out this time. The teacher had wavy, shoulder-length hair, which made her look mature and she seems to be the same age as Chabashira-sensei.

"So you're Ayanokouji-kun? Sae-chan called you?" asked the teacher.

Sae-chan? They are probably friends and this made them sound close.

"Yes, sensei. I'm Ayanokouji Kiyotaka from Class D." replied Ayanokouji.

"I'm Hoshinomiya Chie, in charge of Class B. Sae and I have been best friends since high school. That's why we call each other Sae-chan and Chie-chan." said Hoshinomiya-sensei.

That information seemed kind of superfluous.

"Hey, why did Sae-chan call you? Huh? Huh? Why?" she asked.

"No idea."

"I don't understand. You were called to the office without a reason?Hmm?"

An onslaught of questions. She scanned Ayanokouji from top to bottom, as if sizing Ayanokouji up.

"Ayanokouji-kun, huh? Oh, wow, that's a cool name. You're pretty popular, aren't you?"

What was with this overly friendly teacher? She acted more like a student. If this were an all-boy school, she would have immediately captured every student's heart.

"Hey, do you already have a girlfriend?" she asked.

"No... I'm, uh, not especially popular."

Ayanokouji tried to seem reluctant, but Hoshinomiya-sensei kept pushing herself onto him. She grabbed his arms with slender, delicate hands.

"Hmm? How unexpected. If we were in the same class, I'd never leave you alone. Perhaps because you're so innocent? Or do you like playing hard to get?"

She caressed Ayanokouji's cheeks. Ayanokouji had no idea what to do.

She'd probably stop if I licked her fingers, but I had a feeling that'd get me expelled.

"What are you doing, Hoshinomiya?" said Chabashira-sensei appeared out of nowhere. With a loud thud, she smacked Hoshinomiya-sensei on the head with her clipboard. Hoshinomiya- sensei crouched and gripped her skull in apparent pain.

"Ouch! What was that for?" she cried.

"For getting involved with one of my students." Chabashira-sensei replied.

"I was only keeping him company while he waited for you, Sae-chan."

"It would have been better if you just left him alone. Thanks for waiting, Ayanokouji. Let's go into the office."

"The guidance office?" Ayanokouji asked. "Did I do something wrong? I've been trying to keep a low profile here."

"A good answer. Come."

While Ayanokouji wondered what this was all about, I followed Chabashira-sensei. Hoshinomiya-sensei remained by his side, smiling widely. Chabashira-sensei noticed and turned, her face much like a demon's.

"You stay," she ordered.

"Come on, don't be so cold! It won't be the end of the world if I listen, right? Besides Sae-chan, you're definitely not the type to give one-on-one guidance. Pulling a new student like Ayanokouji-kun into the guidance room out of nowhere... Are you after something, I wonder?"

Grinning, Hoshinomiya-sensei scooted behind Ayanokouji and placed her hands on his shoulders. Ayanokouji sensed a storm brewing.

"So, Sae-chan, are you looking to be dominated by a younger man?"

Dominated by a younger man? What did that mean?

"Don't say such stupid things. That wouldn't be possible." said Chabashira-sensei.

"Hee, you're certainly right. It wouldn't be possible for you, Sae-chan," Hoshinomiya-sensei muttered, her words laced with a double meaning.

"Why are you following us? This is a Class D matter."

"Huh? I can't go to the guidance room? That's not okay? Come on, I can give advice, too."

As Hoshinomiya-sensei continued to follow, a female student came up to us, a beautiful girl with light-pink hair. I'd never seen her before.

"Hoshinomiya-sensei, do you have a moment? The student council wishes to discuss something with you." She glanced at Ayanokouji, but quickly returned her attention to Hoshinomiya-sensei.

"All right, you have someone who needs you. Get to it." said Chabashira-sensei, smacking Hoshinomiya-sensei on the butt with her clipboard.

"Aw! She'll get mad at me if I hang around any longer. See you later, Ayanokouji-kun! All right, Ichinose-san. Let's go to the faculty office."

With that, she turned on her heel and left with the beautiful Ichinose. Chabashira-sensei lightly scratched her head while she watched Hoshinomiya-sensei leave. Soon after, they entered the guidance room, which stood beside the faculty office.

"So. Why did you call me here?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Well, about that... Before we begin, please come here." replied Chabashira-sensei.

She briefly glanced at a clock hanging on the wall and opened the door. Inside was a small office kitchenette. She placed a kettle on top of a stove.

"I'm going to make tea. Is roasted green okay?" she asked. Before Ayanokouji can answer her question, Chabashira-sensei spoke up.

"Don't make any unnecessary moves. Shut up and get in here. Understand? Don't make a sound and stay until I tell you it's okay to come out. If you don't do as I say, you'll be expelled," she said.

"Huh? What do you mean by—"

She closed the door to the kitchenette without explanation, leaving Ayanokouji in there.

What in the world was she scheming? I'm not sure if she has the authority to expel me, but I'm taking any risks. so I did as I was told and waited.

Soon after, Ayanokouji heard the outer door to the guidance room open.

"Ah, come in. So, what did you want to talk to me about, Horikita?" Chabashira-sensei said.

It seems that Chabashira-sensei wants me to listen in to this conversation.

"I will be frank. Why was I sorted into Class D?" said Horikita.

"That's quite frank."

"Today, you told us that the school sorted superior students into Class A. You said that Class D was filled with the leftovers, the last bastion of delinquents."

"That's true. You must consider yourself to be a superior person."

"I solved nearly every problem on the entrance examination. I made no substantial mistakes on the interview, either. At the very least, I shouldn't have been sorted into Class D."

Horikita was definitely the type to think herself superior. She wasn't excessively self-conscious, either. She scored really high on the quizzes.

"You solved nearly all of the problems on the entrance examination, hmm? Normally I couldn't show the examination results to individual students, but I'll make an exception in this case. I just so happen to have your answer sheet here."

"You're incredibly prepared. It's...almost as if you knew I'd come here to protest."

"I'm an instructor. I understand the mind of a student, at least to some degree, Horikita Suzune. Just as you said, you did well on the entrance examination. You had the third-highest test score among the first-year students and were close to the highest- and second-highest-scoring students. You did exceedingly well. And you're right: We found no particular problems in your interview. On the contrary, we evaluated you quite highly."

"Thank you very much. So then...why?"

"Before I answer, why are you dissatisfied with Class D?"

"Who could be happy with an incorrect evaluation? Furthermore, the class rankings greatly impact our future prospects. Of course I'm dissatisfied."

"Incorrect evaluation? Perhaps your self-evaluation is far too high."

Chabashira-sensei snickered, or rather, laughed outright. "I acknowledge that your academic ability is excellent. You're certainly very smart. However, who decided that smart people are categorically superior? We never said that."

"But...that's just common sense."

"Common sense? Didn't common sense create our current, flawed society? Before, Japan relied solely on test scores to separate the superior and inferior. As a result, the incompetents at the top tried desperately to kick down the truly superior students. In the end, we settled on a system of hereditary succession."

"You're a capable student. I don't deny that. However, this school's goal is to produce superior people. If you believe academics alone place you into a higher class, you are mistaken. That was the very first thing we explained to you. Besides, think rationally. Would we have admitted someone like Sudou if we decided superiority based solely on academic merit?" continued Chabashira-sensei.

"Tch..."

"Furthermore, you may be too hasty in proclaiming that no one would be happy to be incorrectly evaluated. Take Class A, for instance. They are under incredible pressure from the school, and also the target of extreme envy from the lower classes. Competing every day with that kind of pressure bearing down upon you is far more difficult than you might imagine. There
are some students who are happy to be incorrectly evaluated at a lower level."

"You're joking, right? I can't understand such a person."

"Is that so? I think that Class D boasts some of those people. Strange students who would happily be set at a low level."

It was almost as if she were talking to me.

"You still haven't given me an explanation. Was I honestly sorted into Class D? Did anything go wrong with the grading? Please double-check," Horikita said.

"I'm sorry, but you weren't sorted by mistake. You are definitely in Class D. You are at that level."

"Is that so? Then I will ask the school again, at another time."

Apparently, she wasn't going to give up. Horikita had merely determined that her homeroom teacher was the wrong person to ask.

"You'll get the same answer from anyone in a higher position. Besides, there's no need to be disappointed. As I told you before, it's possible for one class to overtake another. You could conceivably reach Class A before you graduate."

"I can't imagine it will be easy, though. Forget overtaking Class A; how in the world could those immature Class D misfits gain more points? I can't see how it's possible." said Horikita, speaking of the truth.

That's true. Class D students are a different kind of students unless they change, it's impossible to make it to Class A. The difference in points was overwhelming.

"I don't know. You alone get to decide how you head down that path. At any rate, Horikita, do you need to be in Class A for any special reason?" said Chabashira-sensei.

"Well...I suppose that's enough for now. Excuse me. But know that I'm not yet convinced I was sorted correctly."

"Understood. I will keep that in mind."

A chair squeaked against the floor, signaling that the discussion was over.

"Oh, that reminds me. I've summoned another person to the guidance room. It's someone relevant to you."

"Relevant to me? No, you can't mean... bro—"

"Come on out, Ayanokouji," the teacher said.

This was a bad time to reveal myself. Maybe I just wouldn't go.

"If you don't come out, I'll have you expelled. How long do you intend to keep me waiting?"

With a sigh, Ayanokouji entered the room. Naturally, Horikita appeared surprised and perplexed.

"Were you listening to our conversation?" she asked him.

"Listening? I know you guys were talking, but I didn't really hear anything. The walls are surprisingly thick."

"That's not true. Voices carry pretty well into the kitchen." Apparently, Chabashira-sensei wanted to drag Ayanokouji into the action.

"Sensei, why would you do this?" Horikita noticed that this had all been planned and was clearly angry.

"Because I deemed it necessary. Now then, Ayanokouji, I'll explain why I called you here." Chabashira-sensei dismissed Horikita's concerns and shifted her attention to Ayanokouji.

"Well then, if you'll excuse me..." Horikita muttered.

"Wait, Horikita. It would be in your best interest to stay and listen. It may provide you with a hint on how to reach Class A."

Horikita stopped dead in her tracks and sat back down.

"Please keep it brief," she said.

Chabashira-sensei chuckled as she glanced over her clipboard.

"You're an interesting student, Ayanokouji." she said.

"Not at all. I'm certainly not as interesting as a teacher with a strange surname like Chabashira." replied Ayanokouji.

"Would you speak like that to every Chabashira in the nation? Hmm?" she replied.

If you looked all over the country for another person with the surname of Chabashira, you probably wouldn't find one.

"Well, when I read over the entrance exam's results, your scores piqued my interest. I was shocked." said Chabashira-sensei.

On her clipboard, Ayanokouji saw a rather familiar answer sheet.

"Fifty points in Japanese. Fifty points in mathematics. Fifty points in English. Fifty points in social studies. Fifty points in science. You even scored Fifty points on the recent short test. Do you know what this means?"

A stunned Horikita looked over Ayanokouji's test paper and then shifted her focus to him. "This is a rather frightening coincidence," she said.

"Oh? You believe that getting 50s all across the board was a coincidence? He did it intentionally." said Chabashira-sensei.

"It's a coincidence. There's no evidence that it's not. Besides, what would I gain by manipulating my scores in the first place? If I were intelligent enough to achieve high marks, I would've tried to get perfect scores." said Ayanokouji.

As Ayanokouji feigned innocence, Chabashira-sensei sighed in exasperation, "You really do seem like an odious student. Listen. Only 3 percent of students solved the fifth math problem successfully. However, you solved it perfectly, and used a complex formula to do so. However, the tenth problem on the test had a completion rate of 76 percent. Did you make a mistake on
it? Is that normal?"

"I don't know what normal is. It was a coincidence, I tell you. A coincidence." replied Ayanokouji.

"For crying out loud! I respect your frank attitude, but it'll cause problems for you in the future," the teacher said.

"I'll think about that when the time comes."

Chabashira-sensei shot Horikita a glance that seemed to say, What do you think?

"Why do you pretend not to know?" Horikita asked.

"Like I said, it was a coincidence. It's not like I'm hiding that I'm a genius or anything." answered Ayanokouji.

"I wonder. He may be even more intelligent than you, Horikita." said Chabashira-sensei. Horikita flinched.

"I don't like studying, and I don't plan to try hard. That's why I get those scores."

"A student who chose this school wouldn't say something like that. However, some students may have different reasons for getting in. You, for example, and Kouenji as well. I think you're fine with being in either D or A." said Chabashira-sensei.

"What other reasons do you have?" Horikita asked.

"You want me to explain it to you in detail?"said Chabashira-sensei, with a sharp gleam in here eyes. It was almost as if she wanted to provoke Horikita.

"No, we'd best stop here. Anymore, and I might go mad and destroy all the furniture in here," Ayanokouji said.

"If you did that, Ayanokouji, I would demote you to E Class." said Chabashira-sensei.

"Wait, there's an E Class?"

"Certainly. Of course, the 'E' stands for 'expelled.' As in, you'd be kicked out of school. Well, I suppose our conversation has ended. Enjoy your lives."

"I'm leaving, too. It's almost time for the faculty meeting. I'm going to close the door, so please step outside. "said Chabashira-sensei, pushing Horikita and Ayanokouji into the hallway.

Why had Chabashira-sensei called both of us in together? She didn't seem like the type to do meaningless things.

"Ayanokouji-kun..." said Horikita, studying Ayanokouji. It seems that Horikita is seeing Ayanokouji in a different light.

"Coincidences can be freaky, you know." said Ayanokouji.

Horikita glared at him before speaking again.

"First, I want to ascertain this school's true motives. Why was I put into Class D? Chabashira-sensei said I'd been deemed a Class D student, but why? When I discover the answer, I'll aim for A. No, I will definitely make it to A." said Horikita.

"That's going to be difficult. You'll have to rehabilitate the problem children. You have Sudou's continued tardiness and class cutting and, of course, the test scores. Even if you manage all of that, you're still at zero points." said Ayanokouji.

"I know that. I still think the school made a mistake with my placement."

Anxiety had replaced Horikita's previously overflowing confidence.

Did she really know that was the case? The only conclusion I could draw from today was that "despair" was a two-syllable word. If you followed the fundamental school rules, you could avoid losing points. However, it was still unclear how to turn those losses into gains. Class A had had only had a small number of points subtracted.

Even if we somehow found an efficient way to increase our points, the other classes might also find a way to do the same. Since we'd started out with such a substantial difference in points, we'd have to compete hard against the other classes in a limited amount of time.

"I can't understand your thoughts and actions, but I don't think the school will continue supervising us so carefully. If they did, there'd be no meaning in competition," Horikita said.

"I see. I suppose you could think that. So, you'll try to take care of this situation by yourself?" Ayanokouji asked.

"Yes."

"Don't act so proud."

A hand chopped my side. Horikita ignored Ayanokouji's pained expression.

"Let's get to that study session." said Horikita, opening the door.

"Yeah." said Ayanokouji.

That's where you're wrong, Horikita. You can't do it by yourself, but I'll see how this plays out.

**Timeskip (10 minutes later)**

Horikita and Ayanokouji arrived at the library and met up with Sudou, Ike, Yamauchi, and Kushida by a table in the library. They were a few minutes late.

"Sorry for being late." said Ayanokouji.

"It's no problem, Ayanokouji-kun. I'm so glad that you can join us, Horikita-san." said Kushida, cheerfully.

"You two came together. You guys did something alone together?" asked Ike, raising his eyebrows in suspicion.

"Yeah!" agreed Yamauchi.

"Did you say something, Ike-kun and Yamauchi-kun?" asked Horikita, giving them a cold glare.

"N-nothing." yelped Ike and Yamauchi.

"Enough of that nonsense. Let's get started." said Horikita.

"Scoring lower than thirty-two means failing. Do you fail if you get exactly thirty-two points, though?" Sudou asked.

"No, you're safe if you score at least thirty-two points. Sudou, you can manage that, right?" Ike said.

"It doesn't really matter. My goal is for everyone to score fifty," Horikita said.

"Gah, isn't that going to be too tough?"

"Aiming to just skate by is dangerous. The fact that you can't easily reach that threshold troubles me."

In the face of Horikita's sound argument, the failures simply nodded reluctantly.

"I included most of what will be covered on this test. We only have about two weeks left, but I plan to thoroughly walk you through everything. If you don't understand something, please ask."

"Hey, I don't understand the first question." Sudou glared at Horikita. Ayanokouji tried reading the first problem as well.

"A, B, and C collectively have 2,150 yen. A has 120 yen more than B does. Also, after C gives B two-fifths of his money, B would have 220 yen more than A. How much yen did A originally start with?"

A problem with simultaneous equations, huh? The first test question should have been one that a high school student could easily solve.

"Try thinking about it. If you give up right at the beginning, you won't get anywhere."

"Look, I don't know how to study at all," Sudou said.

"Everyone got into this school."

This school didn't accept people based solely on test scores, though. Sudou had most likely been accepted because of his exceptional physical ability. If you looked at it that way, wouldn't he likely be expelled because of bad grades?

"Ugh, I don't get it either." Ike, equally bewildered, scratched his head.

"Honestly, first- and second-year junior high school students could easily solve this problem. If you stumble here, it'll be impossible for you to continue," Horikita said.

"So, what, we're like elementary school kids?" Sudou growled.

"Like Horikita said, it'll be bad if you get tripped up here. The math problems on the short test were about this difficult, but the last problems were really tough." said Ayanokouji.

"Listen up. This can be easily solved using a system of simultaneous equations." Without hesitation, Horikita picked up her pen and got to work. Unfortunately, it looked like only Kushida and Ayanokouji understood. The three idiots sat there with question marks above their heads.

"What even are simultaneous equations?" asked Ike.

"Are you seriously asking me that?" said Horikita.

Sudou threw his mechanical pencil onto the desk.

"Stop. I'm done. This isn't going to work." said Sudou, quitting before the study group could even begin. Horikita quietly seethed at this pitiful display.

"W-wait, everyone. Let's give it a shot. If you learn how to solve these problems, you can apply what you learn to the questions on the test. Okay? Okay?" Kushida said.

"Well, if Kushida-chan says so, I guess I can try. But if Kushida-chan were teaching, I'd probably try even harder." said Ike. Yamauchi agreed with her.

"U-um..." Kushida seemed ready to ask Horikita about that, but Horikita stayed silent. Her refusal to even answer "Yes" or "No" was troubling. However, if she remained silent much longer, the failures might abandon this study group. Kushida made up her mind and grabbed the
mechanical pencil.

"Like Horikita-san said, you can solve this problem by using a system of simultaneous equations. So let's try writing them out." said Kushida.

Quickly, she wrote down three equations. It looked like the others were trying their best, but it still seemed hopeless. This was more like detention than a study group. They didn't seem to understand her methods in the slightest.

"So, the answer I got is 710 yen. What did you get?" said Kushida, confident in Sudou's ability to follow along, flashed him a smile.

"Um, so you used this to get the answer? How?" he asked.

"Uh..." Kushida immediately realized what had happened. None of them understood.

"I'm sorry, you're far too ignorant and incompetent," said Horikita, who'd been silent until now. "If you can't solve this problem, I seriously shiver at the thought of what the future will bring."

"Shut up. This has nothing to do with you." Sudou slammed the desk, understandably irritated by Horikita.

"You're right. This has nothing to do with me. Your suffering won't influence me at all. I just pity you. You must have spent your whole life running from anything that presented a challenge," she said.

"Say whatever you want. Academics will be useless in the future, anyway."

"Academics will be useless in the future? That's an interesting argument. How do you justify that?"

"I don't care if I can't solve this problem. Studying's useless. Aiming to become a pro basketball player will help me a lot more."

"Incorrect. Once you learn to solve these kinds of problems, your entire life will change. In other words, studying increases the possibility that you'll solve the problems you face. It's the same principle as basketball. I wonder if, so far, you've been playing basketball by your own set of rules. When you struggle in basketball, do you run away from it like you do from studying? I
doubt you take basketball practice seriously. You're a natural troublemaker, someone who always causes a disruption. If I were your adviser, I wouldn't let you on the team."

"Tch!" Sudou got in close to Horikita and grabbed her by the collar.

"Sudou-kun!" Kushida grabbed Sudou's arm faster than Ayanokouji could move. Despite Sudou's intimidations, Horikita didn't flinch. She simply fixed Sudou with an icy glare.

"You don't interest me in the slightest, but I can tell what kind of person you are just by looking at you. You want to play professional basketball? Do you honestly believe you can make such a childish dream come true in this world? A simpleton like you who gives up right away could never hope to go pro. Furthermore, even if you managed to become a professional player, I doubt you'd earn an annual income sufficient to live on. You're a fool to have such unreasonable aspirations."

"You!"

It was clear that Sudou was on the brink of losing control. If he raised his fist, Ayanokouji would have to step in.

"So, you're just going to immediately give up on studying or on school in general? Then discard your dreams of playing basketball and spend your days toiling away at a pitiful part-time job." said Horikita.

"Hmph. That's just fine. I'll quit, but it's not because it's difficult. I took a day off from my club activities for this, and it ended up being a complete waste of time. Later!" Sudou said.

"What an odd thing to say. Studying is difficult." Horikita took a parting shot at Sudou. If Kushida weren't there, Sudou probably would have smacked Horikita. He stuffed his textbooks into his bag, not even hiding his irritation.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked Ayanokouji.

"I don't care. It's pointless to care about someone who lacks any motivation whatsoever. Even though he's facing expulsion, he has no will to fight." replied Horikita.

"I thought that it was weird for someone like you, who doesn't have any friends, to put this study group together. You probably just wanted to call us stupid. If you weren't a girl, I'd smack you." said Sudou.

"So, you lack the courage to hit me? Don't use my gender as an excuse," Horikita said. The newly assembled study group was already falling apart.

"I'm quitting, too. Partly 'cause I can't deal with studying, but mostly 'cause I'm annoyed. You might be smart, Horikita-san, but that doesn't mean you can act like you're better than us." Ike, clearly fed up, threw in the towel as well.

"I don't care if you get expelled. Do what you want," Horikita shot back.

"Well, I'll just pull an all-nighter."

"Interesting. Didn't you come here because you can't study?"

"Tch..." Even the typically easygoing Ike stiffened under the sting of Horikita's barbed comments. Yamauchi started putting his textbook away as well.

Ike and Yamauchi both left the library after Sudou. Now only Kushida, Horikita, and Ayanokouji remained. Soon, even Kushida would probably reach her limit and leave.

"Horikita-san, we're not going to be able to study with anyone if things continue like this..." Kushida murmured.

"I was certainly mistaken. Even if I'd helped them avoid failure this time, we would've faced a similar dilemma soon after. We'd have to go through this irritation all over again. Eventually, they'll fail. I finally understand how unproductive this was. I don't have the time for it." replied Horikita.

"Wait, what do you mean?"

"I mean that it's better to get rid of the dead weight."

That was Horikita's ultimate conclusion. If the failing students were expelled, then the class's average test scores would go up, and we wouldn't have to expend any extra effort.

"So, that's... H-hey, Ayanokouji-kun. Can you say something?" Kushida murmured.

"If that's Horikita's answer, then isn't it fine?"

"You think so too, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Well, I don't want to toss them to the wolves or anything, but I'm not the tutor. There's nothing I can do about it." In the end, Ayanokouji felt similarly to Horikita.

"Okay. I see." Kushida grabbed her bag and stood up, her expression darkening. "I'm going to do something. Well, I'll try. I definitely don't want everything to fall apart so quickly."

"Kushida-san. Do you really feel that way?" asked Horikita.

"Is it wrong? I don't want to abandon Sudou-kun, Ike-kun, and Yamauchi-kun."

"Even if that was how you truly felt, I wouldn't particularly care. But I don't think that you actually want to save them," Horikita said.

"What? I don't understand. Why do you say things like that, Horikita-san? Why do you try to antagonize people? That's...very sad."

Kushida hung her head briefly, then looked back up at Horikita and Ayanokouji. She met Ayanokouji's eyes.

"Well then. I'll see you two tomorrow," she whispered.

"Well, that was painful. The study group's already over," Ayanokouji said.

"Looks that way."

The quiet grew almost oppressive.

"I suppose you were the only one who understood me, Ayanokouji-kun. You're at least somewhat better than those worthless idiots. If there's some subject you're struggling with, I could teach you."

"I'll pass, thank you."

"Suit yourself."

Ayanokouji got up from his seat and glanced at Horikita, "If I were you, I will be a little more careful and re-evaluate your thinking."

"What does that mean?" scowled Horikita, looking a little defensive.

"Let's just say, it's a piece of advice from an ally to another." replied Ayanokouji.

With that, Ayanokouji walked out of the library and leaving Horikita by herself to think about it.

**********************************************

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter (9.5k words). How do you like Tachibana's backstory story? I tried to work with their original personality from the ln and added some few minor changes. So, I kinda kept her attitude, but made up a backstory to explain why. Maybe our boy can use his "charms" to lower her defenses.

Speaking of backstories, I'm thinking about adding some to some minor characters. Please let me know which one you'll like and I'll consider it.

Shinohara?

Manabe?

Hoshinomiya?

Yea, I like to see if I can make some disliked characters from the series be liked for once.

Next update: COTE Harem School President

Until next time, my dear readers

**********************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.4K 2.5K 60
In this reality, Ayanokouji decided he wants to be an Ikemen, let's see how this goes! There will be plot deviations. This is my restarted version...
925K 25.2K 111
Kiyo x honami ship Since Most of the good Class B Fanfics are on hiatus , And the rest are Delaying updates , I Got Bored and decided to do it myself...
71.8K 3K 143
This story is my own take on COTE year 2. Some volumes will remain similar to the original, while others will be completely different. Some events fr...
1.8K 107 11
This story is about a guy who is an otaku and his favourite anime,manga or ln is Classroom of the elite.When he finishes reading the latest volume of...