court of lies | robert's rebe...

By songofsapphire

Atera Hightower joins the Red Keep as the lady-in-waiting of the future wife of the crown prince, Elia Martel... More

characters pti
characters ptii
characters ptiii
characters ptiv
prologue
pti | the royal wedding
the call
the ladies
the proposal
the dorne
the princess
the storm's end
the feast
the joust
the court
the wedding
ptii | the florent revolt
moodboards; pti
moodboards; ptii (fashion)
the fool moon
the baby dragon
the death of a queen
the rush hour
the funeral
the rains
the labour
the amber skies
the fine print
the lion and the king
ptiii | the unfinished business
the family line
the prophecy
the sign of the times
the champagne problems
the sun and the spear
the skyfall
the divine move
the shadow of doubt
the summerhall
ptiv | the kingswood
the fighting pit
the icarus
the poisoned bond
the brotherhood
the sept of baelor
the princess and the queen
the burning embers
the sworn sword
the heartbreak weather
the emperor's new clothes
ptv | the year of the false spring
the harrenhal
the lotus
the kingsguard
the harbinger of war
the mystery knight
the broken crown
the lost stars
the winter roses
the dawn will come
the song of ice and fire
ptvi | the war of the usurper
the north remembers
the labyrinth
the below of the surface
the war council
the bells
the winter solstice

the dangerous game

97 5 0
By songofsapphire

"she wasn't looking for a knight, she was looking for a sword"

281 AC, Oldtown

She hated wearing corsets and one-piece dresses with big skirts though she had to while she resided in the capital and Dragonstone but since all of her problems has ended and she was at home, she returned to her old gowns.

She was wearing an off-shoulders top that barely covered her back but had long and puffy sleeves. There were only the laces that she tied in the middle of her back, up and down were all bare, her skin was shining as she walked in the halls of the castle, trying to reach the council room. The top was dark creamed coloured with golden rose embodiments on it. And her skirt was dark green, at her back starting from her waist but on top it reached to her belly, attached to her top with a big seven-pointed-star brooch, making the skirt look longer on the back and her green shoes visible.

She was wearing simple but rather big golden earrings with a black pearl necklace that had three chains, her rings, as usual, were on her fingers and she was not wearing any crowns or headpieces. Her blonde hair was looking darker today and her braided waves were falling to her waist, looking a bit puffy too, making her look even more beautiful with her dark lipstick and black eyeliner pencil inside of her eyes.

"What?", she asked when she entered the room and saw the nervous faces of her council members. "What happened this time?"

"Why do you always ask what happened?", Alerie asked.

Her silver-gold hair was tied back on the front with the ends curled, and before her ears, a few loose curled string was falling. She was wearing a triangle-shaped diamond tiara with a matching set of earrings and a necklace. Wearing a light silver dress with pearls on top of it. Looking like a queen and Mace, this time was sitting next to her.

"Because something happens every day.", she answered with a hint of a smile but when no one answered she rolled her eyes and sat in her chair.

"We've been thinking, my lady.", Kevan said. "About your marriage."

"My what?", her neck snapped in his direction with a visible shock, when he swallowed instead of answering her, she turned to Alerie with widened eyes "My what?"

"Didn't my father tell you?", she asked with an almost accusing tone. "He decided it is finally your time to get married and asked us to make a list to present to you."

"He didn't tell me such a thing.", she said, voice filled with realization.

"I am not surprised.", Alerie gave her breath through her nose. "You do not talk."

"We talk every day.", she didn't let her face fall. "We just had breakfast together and he didn't tell me such a thing."

"You two talk, yes, but do not talk.", she answered kindly though her face was filled with annoyance. "He asked me to approve the names the council had decided and I did. I trust my list a lot."

"I do not wish to marry.", she shook her head. "I'll talk to your father-"

"Maybe start referring him as your brother and not my father.", she lifted her hand as a gesture. "It might be a good start."

"Well he feels more like your father than my brother at the moment.", she was starting to get angry. "He cannot force me to marry.", she scoffed. "I have no idea where this came from."

"We've been discussing it for like five years, I think it is very clear where it came from.", Alerie was not going to stay quiet despite Baelor's eye warnings. "You shouldn't have said 'yes' to Lord Celtigar."

Knowing she cannot name her reason to say him 'yes' openly, she rolled her eyes and turned to the rest of the council. "It was a misjudgement on my part; one that I regret it. That is why I broke off the betrothal."

"I thought you broke off the betrothal because he went behind your back and worked with Lord Lannister to plan some kind of a coup.", Alerie narrowed her eyes and tried to bite back her smile when Mace held her hand.

"That affected my decision too, yes.", she clenched her jaw.

"I think Lord Hightower's decision is very timely-"

"Lord Kevan!", she turned to him. "You are not married as much as I recall, no?", she asked with angry pursed lips and before he managed to answer she continued. "Maybe you need to stop worrying over who I marry and go, find yourself a wife. You are getting old. Old enough to die.", she raised her eyebrows with a threatening manner. "Go and make some children before the worst happens."

"I am not that old.", he scoffed. "Why would I die?"

"Accidents happen all the time, no?", she asked, her voice as cold as Northern winds.

"I doubt they would find me."

"Oh, that can be arranged!", she snapped. "Accidents happen left and right in this city or haven't you been paying attention?", with that Kevan bowed his head, it never was a good idea to rest her patience, even before she started to murder people.

"I think we need to check the list first,", Vortimer spoke with a rather calm tone, leaning back comfortably. "and threaten each other later."

Alerie looked at him and then turned to Atera with a hopeful look. "Mace and I tried too hard to make this list."

Mace's eyes widened with his mention and under Atera's blaming eyes he leaned to his wife. "Did you have to tell her this?"

"We are married, my love.", she turned to him and wrinkled her nose. "We are together in this."

Mace sighed and looked at Atera. "At least check the list."

Atera nodded to herself. It was best to get over this and yell at Leyton later. "Fine.", she leaned back with a huff. "Start with the name that would anger me the least."

"I doubt there is someone on that list that would not anger you.", Alerie mumbled and Mace had to hide his snort with a cough.

"Alekyne Florent.", Kevan said and Atera's neck snapped towards him with Alerie yelling.

"I did not approve of that name!", Atera turned to her with her mouth open and found both her and her husband shaking their heads. "We did not see it."

"It was an addition to the council.", Kevan explained with a quiet voice and Atera gritted her teeth.

"No."

"Ser Arys Oakheart."

"...my cousin?", she asked with a puzzled face a moment later. "You want me to marry my cousin?", her face turned into a disgusted one while Doric scoffed.

"That's incest."

"It is not incest.", Paxter interfered with an uncomfortable look. "People marry their cousins all the time."

He was going to marry his cousin. His aunt Olenna's daughter Mina, soon enough. Sensing his discomfort Atera sighed and rolled her eyes, looking at Alerie and Mace to interfere.

"I do not think it would be an appropriate match.", Mace raised his hands and sent a look to his cousin. "Ser Arys is a good and honourable man and a renowned warrior but I believe you can marry with a titled lord."

Atera turned back to Kevan. "Then I am eliminating Ser Victor Tyrell, Ser Brynden Tully, Lord Eddard Stark and Lord Euron Greyjoy."

Atera closed her eyes and excessively exhaled. "Alerie is already married to Mace. There is no need for another Tyrell match.", she tried to be kind. She knew he was added to the list because he had a crush on her. "Ser Brynden Tully had refused better matches than me. I doubt it is his wish to get married at all. I would rather marry Alekyne Florent than a Northern man. Forget everyone forward the Neck. And Euron Greyjoy? A fucking savage who invaded our city merely a moon ago and now is exiled?", she looked at them one by one and then turned to Alerie. "Are these the man you think are fit for me?"

"Victor is your friend and a good man.", Alerie shrugged though it was obvious Mace wanted to add him. "We could live together in Highgarden if you marry him. Eddard Stark might be a second son but still a Stark and the spare of his father as his brother is yet to have an heir of his own. I did not approve Euron Greyjoy, it is the council and between these four men; I truly think Brynden Tully is a good match for you. He is a bit old, yes, and I prefer you to marry with a titled lord, as Mace said, but he is a candidate we should consider."

"No.", she rolled her eyes.

"Jon Arryn.", Kevan said this time and Atera pretended that she was going to be sick. "Lord Crane.", he pointed out Vortimer who snorted. "What about him."

They shared a look and Vortimer moved his hand which was resting on the top of the table slightly as if he left the choice to her. "No.", she said with a more composed tone. "Lord Crane can do a lot better than me.", Vortimer snorted again and tilted his head but did not answer her.

Alerie's knowing eyes went between them but then she sighed. "I added Lord Ashford to the list.", Atera turned to her with a thoughtful look.

Garth enjoyed the company of men, not women. Atera knew it, and she knew that Malora and now Baelor knew it. She suspected Alerie too might have found it somehow. But still, she did not want to marry her nephew's lover.

"Heard he has a paramour.", it was a dubious answer. "So, no."

While she shared a look with Alerie, Kevan interrupted them. "Hoster Tully."

"Too old.", she rolled her eyes. "Please stop suggesting me men who are old enough to be my father."

"Then I am eliminating Rickard Stark too.", Kevan shook his head. "We chose those names because you stated time and time again that you do not wish to have children, my lady. So maybe marrying a powerful lord -a Warden or a Paramount Lord, who already has heirs would be what is best for you. You would marry them and when they die, you would return. I doubt Lord Hightower would suggest you marry again this time."

It was smart, it truly was smart but since Atera did not think of it herself, she chose to disagree. "I want the man I marry to have all of his teeth inside of his mouth, choose according to this."

"Jaime Lannister."

"Whose father called me a 'bastard' and planned a fucking coup with my betroth, tried to charge me with kinslaying a fucking week ago, Kevan.", she shook her head with disbelief. "Be fucking serious."

"Lord Walter Whent.", he said with a clenched jaw. "He is of inappropriate age, neither too young nor too old, already has children, and is very rich. Ser Oswell might tell you more about him if you give us the green light."

Marrying the Lord of Harrenhal did not sound that bad -in case she would have to get married at all. And Oswell was charming, easygoing, friendly, and funny, most of the time.

"Fine.", she said dryly much to Vortimer's surprise. "Him and Ser Brynden, add them to the considerable one's list."

Alerie exhaled thankfully. "I also added Ignatius Royce myself."

"I met him haven't I?", she asked with a frown. "That weak boy that got unhorsed during the tourney?"

Alerie pursed her lips. "You would one day become the Lady of Runestone though."

"No, he is not a man, he is a boy."

"Then allow me to say the name who is most appropriate to you.", Kevan looked at her. "Robert Baratheon."

"A Lord Paramount who is young and rich and strong and powerful with a handsome face.", Alerie smiled. "He is a good match."

"A man whore who already has bastards and a weird taste for violence.", Atera snapped at her. "That's it, enough.", she stood up. "I cannot listen to your insolence any longer."

"There is one more name on this list-", Kevan began to speak but she stopped him with her hand.

"No."

*

"So you want to fuck my sister?", everybody turned to him and Doric bowed to Rhaegar and Elia. "Your graces, please forgive my vulgar language but I believe an explanation is in order.", his face was friendly and smiling but his eyes were deadly, focused on Oberyn. "I am listening."

His cup was frozen halfway through his mouth. He shared a look with Doran and put down the cup. "I don't.", he tried to play nonchalantly. "Doran does."

His brother sent him an unimpressed look and turned to Doric. "Calm down, it is a mere proposal. One that is very prestigious politically."

"What did she say?", Elia asked with a raised eyebrow. She didn't know after all the objections Doran made an official proposal. "Your sister, I mean, I believe she knows."

"She does not, your grace.", Doric's eyes never left Oberyn's face. "She got angry and left before we moved to Oberyn's name, I had only seen it after the council ended. But given that her reaction to Robert Baratheon was a man whore who already has bastards and a weird taste for violence,", he tilted his head. "I believe she would not give a positive answer to Oberyn either."

"I am a man whore who already has bastards and a weird taste for violence!", Oberyn slapped Doran's arm. "I am unfit. Now took back that proposal before she learns."

Doran's face was bored and his grey eyes were serious. "I never make an offer that I take back, brother mine, you know this better than everyone. It is decided and she will consider it."

"My sister would not say 'yes' to something I do not approve.", Doric's voice cut the blinking match between Martell brothers and Elia leaned back to the cushions with narrowed eyes. "And I do not approve of such a match."

"Why, may I ask?"

"I know your brother enough to declare that he is unfit for my sister, Prince Doran. She deserves better than him."

"Well that hurt.", Oberyn pursed his lips at him.

"No, what hurt was seeing my best friend propose to marry my sister, behind my back.", he deadpanned and Oberyn understood how serious he was.

"Doric I did not make an actual proposal.", he stood up. "Or else-"

"But you knew he is going to make one, no?", his scowl deepened. "What you needed to do was to inform me before anyone else just like I am going to inform you now.", Oberyn frowned with confusion. "Apparently Leyton did not only decide to marry Atera but me too. The council, although we did not have time to discuss it, made a list for me too and one of the candidates of marriage is Lady Ashara Dayne.", all of the emotions erased in his face. "I have no intentions to marry her, you do not need to worry. But I firmly believe you at least deserve to know. I just wish you would have done me the same courtesy. Because it is not some old flame we are talking about but my sister.", he pressed the last word. "I would have expected more of you.", then he bowed his head to Rhaegar and Elia and left the room.

There were Doran, Oberyn, Lewyn, Elia and Rhaegar inside the big chamber that was given to Doran. It was filled with gold colours and richly decorated. Rhaegar thought nothing of it but Doran and Elia shared a look as Oberyn sat down back again.

"Did you know about that?", he asked with a quiet voice.

"No.", Elia answered firmly, frowning to herself and looking to the wall, not meeting his eyes. "But Ashara does not wish for a marriage and Andric would never force her. It is probably just a list of suggestions as we all did."

"Are you sure of it?"

"If my best friend would be betrothed to one of my former ladies' brothers, I think I would know of it, Oberyn.", her voice was rather harsh. "But even if this would be true, I would not tell you, no."

"Why?", Oberyn's burning glare found the side of her face and Elia turned to him with a snap, her hanging earring hit her cheek as she scowled.

"Why? Why?", she raised her voice. "Are you still asking this question? How many times must I tell you to forget even her name? It does not do good to either of you."

"El-"

"Do you want Arthur to hear it?", she stood up as Oberyn's face went almost ashen. "Why you must push your luck all the time? Why do you enjoy it this much?", she shook her head. "Ashara is an unbetrıthed, unpromised maiden with great beauty. Any man who is lucky enough to be a suggestion to her shall consider himself lucky and that man was not, is not, will not be you.", she declared, forcing herself to stay angry even when Oberyn bowed his head. "If Arthur hears it, I will not stop him this time. Maybe he would teach you a lesson."

As Doran and Lewyn both turned their heads away, Elia stood up and left the room, her entire day ruined.

*

They were laying on the bed with Larra's back leaned on the pillows and Andric between her arms, reading state reports. Larra was eating grapes with one hand and caressing Andric's hair with the other.

"Do you have to give your attention to them while I am right here?", she asked with a huff after enduring the silence for a few minutes.

"I gave you enough attention already.", he turned his head away and placed a kiss to her inner thigh. "Give me a few more minutes and I might have the energy to attend you again."

"You are getting older.", she snorted lovingly. "But this isn't what I wish to talk with you."

"So these conversation leads somewhere.", he put down to papers and shifted his position into sitting. "What is the matter?"

"I heard something that might work in our interest.", she held his hands and started to drag shapes with her nail. "Doran proposed a marriage to the Hightowers.", an interested hum came out of Andric as he frowned. "Between Oberyn and Atera."

"I didn't know Oberyn was interested in getting married.", he raised his eyebrows. "I cannot say that I am surprised though. We all have been waiting for it, no? Doran is different from Lorenza, he is aware of the direness of the situation and understands his political loneliness. It is expected of him to use Oberyn, his last castle remaining, as bait. If he cannot achieve what he wants with these, he might use even Arianne."

"I doubt so.", she pursed her lips. "Mellario would never agree."

"Who cares about what Mellario agrees?"

"Doran does and it is what matters the most.", she leaned to the pillows comfortably. "Oberyn is a prince and even though there is Manfrey too, he is simply as not prestigious as Oberyn. His marriage has always been the greatest trade cart they ever had -considering Elia was always supposed to marry outside. A smart move would be marrying him with a Dornish lady, thinking the core reason for all of these problems is Lorenza marrying a foreigner. Both Doran and Elia too married foreigners. Oberyn is their last chance to ally within their region yet Doran wastes it with a Hightower.", she looked directly into his eyes. "You know what this means, yes?"

"He lost all of his hope.", Andric smiled. "He knows that he will lose the moment Lorenza dies. He is not after alliances, he is looking for an army."

"You think the Hightower army and the fleet can recuperate? They are nothing as of now."

"But they still have their gold reserves.", Andric reminded her. "Their harbour is one of the repairing points in the entire Eastern trade, making a couple of hundred ships would not take that long with their gold and influence and power combined with the talent and knowledge of the masters. In the foreseeable future -within a fortnight, they will have ten thousand troops. Not that every house in Dorne will support Anders. And if Lorenza can hold on a little more, Hightowers will return to their full glory and Anders would not dare to go against him."

"How pathetic he must be to lower himself like this? Searching for armies to invade his own home because his bannermen would not support him.", Larra sighed mockingly and shook her head. "I suggest that we, as the Torrentine, should stay impartial."

"You want me to abandon my best friend in this darkest time of his life?"

"Ex-best friend, if I may remind you.", she dug her nail to his flesh -which sent goosebumps to his body. "What good Doran ever did to you? Except for making you marry Cassella and going directly against you, giving Dawn to Arthur when he was merely a child?", Andric turned his head away. "Martells are not trustworthy people, we both know this.", she pressured. "Doran betrayed you, Oberyn betrayed Arthur and even though I love her very much, it is in her blood for Elia to betray Ashara. Hasn't House Dayne suffered from House Martell enough? The bad blood goes as old as the time of Myriah and Dyanna. While they left Yronwoods alone, they suppressed Daynes more and more with each generation, forcing you to retreat until you have only Starfall and High Hermitage when you were much more than that. I would rather die than to see Anders in the Sun and the Spear Throne but supporting Doran?", she shook her head. "I cannot stomach it after everything he has done to me."

"They are our princes that we sworn fealty. Now you are asking me to break it in favour of Yronwood?"

"I am asking you to break it in favour of your own house and the rest of the Torrentine."

"Anders can never rule there.", he mumbled as he straightened his spine. "You are suggesting dividing the Dorne into two."

"House Dayne were the Kings of the Torrentine once, one of the most prestigious houses in the entire region until Nymeria invaded our lands and sent the head of your house to the Wall. Ever since you stood by the Martells and never had the respect you deserved.", Larra's eyes were firm. "We can change that.", she leaned forward. "Martells were nothing until Nymeria decided they were pretty enough to fuck. All of their power comes from the blood of an invader who had no right in our lands. The Martells aren't even Dornish.", she grimaced. "They were bloody Andals. Invader after invader, our region has suffered enough. But if you stand now, Torrentine will follow you. And what stops the Fowlers? We can divide Dorne into two once again with these two houses ruling and we can elect our High King as we did so many centuries before. No more petty Yronwoods threatening our peace, no more Martells thinking they are the shit. You can do whatever you want once you are named as-"

"This is madness.", Andric leaned on her mouth and whispered. "I am intrigued for all the wrong reasons but this is madness. What is stopping the Targaryens from interfering? Elia is married to the prince. Do you truly think she would let us destroy her family? Her house? And there are too many questions about what to follow.", he stood up from the bed and ran his hands through his hair. His pants were on but not his shirt so he pulled his robe. "Doran and Oberyn are too dangerous to leave alone and we have to destroy House Martell altogether if we want to prevail. What would stop them from coming after us? But can we kill them?", he turned to look at her. "Doran and Oberyn might be tempting but little Arianne?", he tilted his head. "There is a saying in the North; leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe. We cannot let her live and then avenge her family decades later but I cannot murder an innocent child."

"We do not have to.", she shrugged. "Use your head, my love. If it comes to that, all we have to do is to pretend that we killed her and then send her somewhere safe."

"What you are speaking of is treason.", he shook his head. "Aerys-"

"Aerys is no one.", she scoffed. "Rhaegar is the real problem in here but nothing that cannot be fixed.", after seeing his confused looks she explained. "House Targaryen is weakened and I can hear the footsteps of an overthrowing attempt. We can get rid of one colonizer family, why can't we do the same to the other?"

"This is a what-if scenario.", he was tempted to say 'yes' but still there was a part of him that forced him to be rational. "We can never-"

"We can if the Hightowers would be on our side.", she interrupted him with a daring look. "Arthur was always meant to marry the girl, after all, your father decided so. You think you know better than him?"

"If you say another word,", his face was emotionless and voice deadly -but Larra seemed like she didn't care at all. "I will break your heart so please, I am begging you, don't."

"You are begging?", she frowned. "It is repulsing."

"Larra!", he hissed.

"I cannot believe you are so thick-headed for not seeing that this would be the solution to all of our problems!", she raised her voice too and stood up. "You would become a ruling prince just like the Fowlers and you might be chosen as the High King even if you lead those morons now. And with that, you can do whatever you want to do.", she wanted him to understand. "You can divorce her.", silence hit them as Andric's face crossed with realisation. "You can divorce her and marry me, we can be happy."

"You-", he closed his eyes and opened his mouth, trying to form a sentence. "-you want me to overthrow my liege lord so that I can marry you?"

"Why, am I not worth the trouble?"

"I never said that.", he said dryly, eyes never leaving her frame, mouth barely moving. "This is your ultimate motivation?"

"Do that and you can have children of your own -you wouldn't have to ruin your siblings' lives.", she pressed the wound further as Andric turned his back on her. "Arthur would come home if the Targaryen would fall too. Your baby brother would return home. Don't you want that? And Ashara, sweet Ashara. You would be a family again."

"Larr-"

"It is not theft.", she snapped. "You will take back what was taken from your ancestors centuries ago. It is justice, not thievery."

"You will propose Cardan to marry the Hightower girl.", he nodded to himself. "Your nephew."

"My heir.", she corrected him. "Oberyn is a deadbeat. A vile creature who would neither respect nor love her, would never be loyal to her, he would be an absent husband and under Doran's iron fist, she would be no one in Dorne.", she took a step towards him. "But if she is to marry Cardan, the opposite would happen."

"And Leyton would accept this?"

"We will offer the happiness of her sister in return for a couple troops.", she straightened her spine. "Which idiot would say 'no' to this?"

*

"Unbelievable!", she said for the hundredth time. "It is not fair."

"Yes, we heard you the first time.", Alerie pointed out kindly while adjusting her hat. They were in the winter but the sun was too bright. "Sadly, there is nothing we can do to stop you from grumbling just like there is nothing you can do to stop this from happening."

"First, he makes some list of appropriate candidates from my back and now this!", she gritted her teeth. "Bringing the fucking Prince of Pentos here to make his declaration. As if I am a broodmare who will get charmed by an empty title."

"Prince of Pentos is more likely an honorary title at this point.", Mace tried to help. "So you will not be a princess and hey, look on the bright side; they say Pentos will start another war with Braavos soon enough. If you are lucky, they will lose and they will sacrifice your husband.", both Alerie and Atera turned to him in slow motion. "Or maybe do not look on the bright side.", he murmured.

"I do not think he comes here with the sole purpose of proposing to you. I mean, it was a moon-long journey, he must have started it when his father was ill. How could he know about all these?", Baelor tried to play the mediator. "It is probably a coincidence."

"İt is probably i coincidence.", she mocked him and Baelor snorted. "He is pushing me away.", she said a second later with a severe tone. "He wants me gone."

Baelor and Alerie shared a look and Alea rolled her eyes from her back. "You truly do not see it, don't you?"

Atera raised her head without turning to her and asked rather rudely. "What?"

"He is trying to make you talk to him.", she said as if it was obvious and Alerie winked at her. "The more you do not, the more suitors he'll send in your direction. If you do not wish to marry with this man -or with any other man, all you have to do is speak to him."

Atera turned her head slightly towards her direction. "If he wants to play mind games, he needs to find his equal because I am going to win this."

"This is not a competition.", Alerie reminded her. "But your life."

"Yes, Alerie, it is my life. It means only I can decide what to do and what not to do.", with the approaching silhouette of the prince, Dario, she straightened her shoulders. "It is a game for two, after all."

*

Half an hour later, after the greeting, she was walking beside the prince in the gardens. "I hope your journey was easy, Prince Dario. I had travelled to Pentos and back before,", she sighed. "it would be torture if I did not love the sea this much."

He gave her a soft chuckle -a dark-skinned, grey-eyed, very handsome young prince who just got elected for the second time after the Tattered Prince ran away. People whispered that one of the little birds of Varys, a man named Illyrio Mopatis was married to his cousin and that he kicked him out of his favour now that he married to a commoner.

"Your castle is very beautiful.", he was mesmerised by the beauty of the golden pathways and the flowers of all kinds. "It made me forget all about my terrible journey. Unlike you, I am not a fan of the sea of any kind.", he turned his head to look at her shining figure under the sun. "I heard many tales about your beauty, Lady Atera. I would endure a journey thousands of times worse than this if I only knew the truth was more enchanting than the tales."

Atera's smile was genuine -even though she was used to hearing compliments about her beauty forever, she still got happy when someone did. "Thank you for your kind words, my lord. Though I doubt my mere presence is enough to remedy seasickness."

The prince chuckled and stopped walking. "Before we continue, I wish to present you a gift, if you allow me. Your beauty was not the only thing I heard about you.", he made a gesture to one of the servants. Alea and Finnick shared a look. The servant gave her the silver embodiment box and she raised her eyebrow when she saw what was inside. "It is not worthy of you but I heard from our captains that you are fond of jewellery. Well, what is there more beautiful than nature's wonder?", the box was a big one and was opened by the servants. It had multiple open oysters in it with pearls of their own. "Pearl means luck in my home. I hope it will bring to you too."

"I am thankful for your gift, my lord. I loved it very much.", she tried to bite down a smile. She did not want to flatter him for doing the bare minimum. "Have you had the chance to see the city before you came to the castle? I never had time to do so in Pentos. Do you think our city is comparable to it?"

"Even though my brain wanted to see the city first, especially your famous harbour, my heart brought me here.", even though she was trying to change the subject, he was trying to open it. "But I hope I will have time to see it before I leave. Although I can this; as much as I had seen it on my way in here, it is nowhere near the entirety of Pentos. I can find you a guide if you wish."

"I would be glad for such a gesture.", his smile was kind and friendly but he gave her a discomforting vibe.

"So your captains talk about me?", she made a gesture to close the box and start walking again.

"My captains talk about everywhere they go. But I must admit, when I first heard them talking about you, I thought they had seen visions of sirens for there was no woman who could be both this beautiful and powerful.", he sent a look at her after she laughed loudly. "But after hearing more and more; I thought your power came from your brother. I had met with Lord Hightower before, he is the reason why I made this journey. Both to visit him after his sickness and to ask his political help."

"Well, then you must know that while my brother is alive and well, I still am the regent of the city. Therefore any plea you will make, you will make it to me.", she turned her head towards him. "Would that be a problem for you?"

"Not at all.", he shook his head. "Lady Atera,", he stopped again. "I do not have much time in here. I must start my journey back within a fortnight so I will be forthcoming and declare my intentions now.", she tried so hard to keep a straight face. "I did not come here with a proposal in my mind, I will not lie but the moment I landed, I received my father's orders. He wishes for more than a political alliance with House Hightower. And now seeing you,", his eyes lingered on her. "and the way your beauty is making my head spin, I cannot help but agree with him that our match would be fruitful for all."

"You are forthcoming, truly.", her smile turned into a fake one. "A marriage is what you are proposing then? Would be one of my nieces sufficient for a match?", Alea and Finnan shared another look.

"If you do not wish me to be haunted by your memory for the rest of my life while your niece slept next to me; I would not agree with this proposal."

Atera raised her eyebrows and took a step back. "Be careful, my lord, courage can be something that would burn you if you do not use it with careful amounts."

"May I be direct?", he asked and after sending him a measuring look, she nodded. "My father is a very pious man who is after a chaste daughter-in-law who comes from a powerful family who might influence Braavos enough to keep them away from us. I, on the other hand,", he took a step forward. "am looking for something else. A passionate lover,", he whispered. "who knows what she wants and would take what she wants, powerful and would not say no to her desire. A woman with a strong mind. I believe you are that kind of a woman -though I just met you, I believe I heard it enough. I also know you are looking for a match and here I am.", he smiled at her. "Offering you an entire kingdom -more than any of your possible suitors can do in here."

She sighed. "It is nice to know to talk with a man who is aware of his desires and ready to state them.", she shared a look with Alea. "But saying 'yes' to such a match goes beyond my authority as the regent. It is a matter you shall talk with my brother."

"But this is an offer for you."

"Yes, but you do not seek partnership only in bed but also at the political table -and ally the end your loneliness as a city. Only my brother can decide on such things. Not us."

"May I make another offer then?", he tilted his head. "To see our harmony until your brother makes the final decision?"

Atera snorted with disbelief. "You wish to lay with me, my lord?", she took a step back. "This went beyond to every level of-"

"There is a Lysene machine called a 'sex horse'.", he interrupted her with a smile. "There are people in this world whose pain means pleasure in many forms. It is designed for me to be tied into it while my partner whips me from outside.", Atera was aware that she was gaping. "I wish you to do this, not to lay with you, not yet. My bride must be untouched when we married -not that I care but my father does, greatly.", when Atera stood there, speechless, Dario's lips curled into a smile. "Think about it first, this is the marriage I want. And if you think you can, please address my proposal to Lord Hightower."

*

"You understand what I said, right?", Walburga pinched her arm as they walked towards Atera who was sitting in the gardens. "Understand what you shall do?"

"I do.", Lythene snapped. "I'll apologize to her.", she walked towards them, curtsied deeply to Elia with a demure face and then threw herself to Atera's feet, kissing her gown under her horrified gaze. "I wish to apologize, Lady Atera.", she looked up to her. "I had upset you -which never was my intention. I was stressed and blamed you unsightly. I hope you can find it in you to forgive me."

Atera felt like everyone was watching them but couldn't manage to say something even though she opened and mouth and closed it. It should have been easy. She should have been able to play along, put on a smile and forgive her but all she wanted was to throw up. Sensing her dilemma, Elia steps forward with a smile.

"Please do sit with us Lady Penrose.", Atera's eyes snapped towards her and even Ashara cleared her throat. There were also Lady Tyrell and a few Dornish ladies with them.

Lythene stood up and sat on the chair Elia pointed out. "I do hope you are in good health, your grace."

"I am, thank you.", Elia smiled at her with kindness and then her eyes found Atera. "I would ask how you are but I believe still under stress, waiting for Lady Atera's ordained decision about the inheritance of your son, yes?", it was a clear indication for her to answer now and Atera sighed. Elia was not asking her to declare her bastard as the new lord but merely wanted her to end her torture -even though it was Elia's idea to wait in the first place.

"I did make my decision, your grace.", she forced herself to have a neutral tone. "I was going to announce it at tomorrow's audience.", her eyes found Lythene. "House Hightower declares it is Lord Agrippa Bulwer's right to inherit the Black crown and take his place as our bannermen.", Lythene's face fell. "But of course, he has no right to kick out his brother.", therefore putting an end to the rumours of the boy's parentage. "Lady Penrose has the right to leave in the castle with her son until he comes of age. This is our decision."

"Atera please.", she was almost begging. "Do not let your anger blind you."

"I am not doing such a thing.", she said and added before Lythene managed to add something else. "This is my brother's decision.", this made the Reacher ladies stand still. "It is Leyton's order. I am merely stating it."

"Can't you speak to him?", she sent a look to her mother's hawk-like watching eyes and Elia too turned towards that direction, and raised an eyebrow for Walburga to turn her back. "Convince him somehow? Atera long before all that we were friends.", she stood up and held her hand, Atera had to give it to her that she was a very successful actress. "Even though we disagreed from time to time, our hearts were always one.", she smiled at her but Atera's eyes were focused on the bare skin that flashed when her sleeves fell to the back and showed the still pinkish wound.

And then she looked to her hand -still in bandages and she pulled it back. "Our hearts were never one.", she said coldly as she stood up. "I just realized that too late."

*

She was laying on the couch with her legs open that night, reading a book while Alea kneeled on the floor for the hair removal, working delicately on her inner tight.

"Will you not going to talk about what happened with Lythene?", Alerie was not alone in her hatred towards her. Alea too couldn't stand her guts.

"She put it in a show and failed because if there is one person the people cannot blame for being grudge-holding is Leyton.", she said pensively. "And frankly, I do not give a shit about Lythene nor Corlys. Not even about Walburga.", she shook her head. "My biggest problem is that fucking Pentosi Prince that came out of nowhere that only Alerie knew about his arrival.", she bit her lip and her eyes focused on the wall, got narrowed. "I might even suspect something in here but I am just too busy thinking other things."

"Like Lord Leyton?", she asked, couldn't stop herself from thinking that he had such a beautiful name.

"I just want him to understand how it feels to have someone that would interfere with the most secluded aspects of his life.", she shook her head and Alea rolled her eyes. "How is he by the way?", she asked with a concern she could not suppress. "You've been spending much time with him in these days."

"You told me so.", she said with fake pensiveness while in fact, she was rather uncomfortable talking about Leyton. "I am merely doing my duty. He had been through hell, I would want him to be happy and do everything I can to achieve that."

"You are right.", she sighed. "Well, he was sleeping while we dealt with the real shit but still,", she briefly raised her eyebrows. "it is not nice to be in his shoes. Thank you for taking care of him. I know he can be the pain in the ass sometimes."

Alea chose not to tell her the real reason for her discomfort was the fact that she wanted him to be the pain in her ass but did not dare to make a move on him. "Maybe you need to make him forget the Lady Rh-"

"Do not mention her name!", she yelled suddenly and then both looked at each other with shock. "I did not mean to yell. I am so-"

"Maybe you need to make him forget her.", she repeated herself and Atera threw herself back to the couch, and closed her eyes. "Find a woman from a brothel, sent to him. Let him at least start to forget her."

"You think he would accept her?", she frowned. "Would not be angry at me?"

"You are used to your brother being angry at you."

"Yes but not in a subject like this.", she huffed. "Fine. I'll tell Doric to find a woman to his liking,", she grimaced. "and then you'll present her to him?", she looked at her friend. "Tell that it is Doric's gift if he refuses and tell it is mine if he agrees, yes?"

"As you wish.", Alea said with a forced smile, trying to suppress the jealousy that was rising in her.

It eventually blows up when the woman they chose could not be presented to Leyton because Alea, with an unintentional move, skipped her gown and caused her to fall from the stairs -she was alive and well, just needed to rest but it left Alea with conflicted feelings that even she had no idea what they were.

*

"Oh please tell me what is this bad in that Godly prince that you cannot say 'yes' to?", Alerie rolled her eyes and Atera huffed.

"He wants me to do something to him."

"What?"

"Something weird and kind of unacceptable even for me."

"Atera, like what?"

"He has this machine-like wood thing.", she narrowed her eyes with confusion. "It's for him, not for me, I would not be getting hurt at all but he will and he enjoys it?", she frowned and grimaced with a puzzled expression while Alerie looked at her with an open mouth and a questioning manner. "He wants me to whip him while he is tied to that thing.", she looked at her with widened eyes. "I cannot do that, Alerie,", she held her hands. "I am not into that shit."

"Why,", Alerie closed her eyes and took a deep breath while Mace started to laugh loudly. "why there is no one normal in this castle?", she asked with a begging tone. "He wants to torture you while having sex and says this to you in your first meeting?"

"Pentosi always had more comfortable lifestyles.", Mace said, still laughing, turning red. Both of the women sent him unimpressed looks. "Sex is not a taboo there but it is something that should be celebrated -yet his desires must be getting side eyes even there. When we consider we are a much more non-liberated society than them; it is almost very gentlemanlike to say such a thing in their first meeting to make sure both are standing on the same page."

"Well I am not standing on the same page as him.", she claimed with widened eyes and threw one foot under her. "I cannot torture someone."

"But is it torture if he enjoys it?", Atera asked with pursed lips. "How hard can it be to just get a whip and hit him with it once in a while?"

"Would you do that to me if I ask?"

"You would cry and be sore for days if I would ever do such a thing to you, honey.", she said and Mace nodded with approval -and a grimace. "What will you do then?"

"What do you suggest? Since you are oh so wise and think with your head on these days."

"Try it first.", she advised her with a smile. "Maybe you would enjoy it?"

"I would not-"

"Alright, maybe you will not enjoy it but you might not like it.", she raised her eyebrows. "Look; if this is a match my father desires, maybe try your best at first."

"But I do not wish-"

"-to get married, yes, we get it.", Mace rolled her eyes. "But you can just go and scream this to Leyton's face -which you will not or you can do your best and then tell him that it did not work out. Choose one."

Atera threw herself to her back and tied her arms to her chest with a pout. After a few minutes of silence, she narrowed her eyes and gritted her teeth with a smile. "Alerie, may I ask something from you?"

"Like what?", she asked pensively as she was working on her embodiment.

"Can you whip him in my stead while we pretended you are me as we blindfolded him?"

*

"I was not surprised to hear that you wanted to join me.", Dario opened the door with a bright smile and Atera tried to play pretend.

"I like to try new things.", she smiled at him and showed him the blindfold she brought. "Let us try another new thing too, yes?"

Dario gave out an excited laugh. "I love that idea, good, now time into this.", he took off his shirt and went to the wooden thing, placing himself into it. "Just wrap those letters to my wrists and tie it -but not too tight."

Atera swallowed and bit her lip. How hard this could be? Her hands were not shaken, she was seeing them wrong. And there was no cold sweat at all. She reached out -had to do it in her tiptoes and tired the leathers one by one until Dario was satisfied and then smiled, shake the blindfold and wrapped it around his eyes, silently moved to the door and let a very uncomfortable-looking Alerie in.

"What do I do now?", she asked with hesitance, cursing herself that she was in this scenery. Alerie reached out and took the whip from her hands. "Do I need to say something or should I just ...whip you?"

"Creating a scenario might help.", he pursed his lips with excitement. "Tell me why I must be punished."

"Because I am disappointed in you?", she said with a frown and even Alerie rolled her eyes at her. "Because you've been a bad man?", Dario gave out an excited snort and she nodded to herself to give herself courage. "You've been a very bad man, Prince Dario."

Alerie started to whip him while Atera said things she did not remember -did not want to remember and with no time Dario's chest was red and Atera couldn't stop herself but then let out a small scream to stop Alerie.

"Who are you talking to?", Dario roared and Atera tried to take the whip from Alerie.

"Of course, I am talking to you. Who can I talk to?", she asked with a breath left way after he took the whip finally from Alerie but before her sentence ended, Dario already took off his blindfold.

"Atera!", he looked at her and Alerie with fear. "I thought this was between us."

"I can forget everything I said and hear in here.", Alerie blurted with widened eyes. "I do wish to forget everything I said and heard in here."

"You think this is a joke?", the prince roared at them once again and both shook their heads with fear crippling in.

But without hearing their loud protests, he made an attempt to free himself, caused the wood to break, fell to the back and one of the irons entered his skull and he was dead within seconds.

Atera muffled her scream while Alerie just gasped at it. "Do you think...?", she began to ask and Atera just nodded with one hand on her stomach and one hand on her mouth.

"Alerie,", she spoke with a lump of sickness on her throat. "we are going to leave now and no one will ever hear of this. Alright?"

"We need to cover this up.", she said with a shaken tone. It seemed everything they touched crumbled on these days. "I need to pray."

"Praying will not fix this or take this back.", Atera snapped. "I will be ruined if someone would hear of this. No one can save me this time.", she shook her head, tears starting to appear in her eyes -though Alerie seemed too fine for such an occasion.

"There is one person that can save you.", Alerie mumbled and turned to look at her. "My father."

*

"I didn't know Ashara decided to get married.", Doran approached to him in the hallway when Andric was sitting on one of the couches, drinking wine, looking at the portraits. "Or that you were this gloomy."

"Fuck off Doran.", he scoffed. "What marriage are you talking about? It is your sibling who entered the market, not mine."

Doran seemed unfazed and sat next to him. "I have nothing to hide, especially not from you. I had made an official proposal for the Hightower girl on Oberyn's behalf and I am hoping for a fruitful match though the girl's brother does not agree and I still haven't had the time to speak to Leyton. It is you who is playing dirty."

"What is that supposed to mean?", he turned to him with a frown. "Please enlighten me with your delusions."

"I am talking about Ashara.", he pressed and Andric sent him a confused look.

"What about my sister?"

"The girl's brother too will get married and your sister is on his list of candidates.", his tongue hit the roof of his mouth. "I am trying to secure this match for entirely political reasons, to strengthen my hands against the traitors that will rise when my mother dies. Why are you trying to secure this match?"

"I ...am not.", he tilted his head forward. "I seriously have no idea what you are talking about."

"So Ashara's name entered that list mythically?"

"We all had those kinds of lists, Doran.", he said dryly. "Scarcely the other person is aware of her or he is being considered. It is how things work."

"Must I truly believe this?", Doran snorted. "You plot and kill one of my bannermen with the girl, have secret talks and mysterious walks with her, you came here, stay in here, in a place you despise, not to mention the girl herself was supposed to marry your brother, and now her name magically is being considerate for the girl's brother."

"That girl has a name.", he corrected before he managed to stop himself. "Atera,", Doran wrinkled his nose. "it is not a nice thing to objectify people."

"Fuck off Andric."

"I have no idea what to tell you except that I have no fucking idea what is going on.", he said rather harshly. "You do not believe me?"

It took too long for Doran to answer. It was a few seconds but it was enough for Andric. "It isn't about trust."

"I cannot return my own home,", he stood up. "so I would not kill your father because he had thrown one insult after the other to me, slandered me just because he is trying to steal your seat and thinks I am going to support you.", he looked at him with disappointment. It was all more painful when he reminisced that Aethan was his foster father as he grew up. "Even he knows that I am loyal to you no matter what but you hesitate, is that so?", Doran did not answer and Andric just scoffed at him, turned his back and made his way towards his chambers, finding Larra there. He approached her quickly and pulled her into a deep kiss. He rejected her the other day, and could not stomach betraying Doran but it seemed it was Doran who betrayed him in the first place. "Summon Cardan here.", he said with a rough voice after breaking the kiss. "There is a marriage deal we must secure for him."

*

"Why on earth are we paying to Hellholt every moon?", asked and then reminisced with a frown that she asked the same question to Alea a while ago and yet did not receive an answer. "Do you know why we do that?"

"Why would I know?", he asked, his eyes had never left her ever since he sat across her, just watching the way she bit her lips and sealed some documents.

"I don't know, aren't you Leyton's best friend?", she bit the diamond on top of her feather pen. "You should know these things, no?", she leaned back and finally met his eyes. "As you know many other things.", it was a statement but sounded like a hesitant question.

"I know what happened.", he wasn't a play, admitted straightly and watched the way her face got ashamed and she bowed her head.

"It was an accident. I told it to Leyton too. I did-"

"It was not true.", Vortimer interrupted her. "What you think that happened, did not happen at all."

She looked at him with a pout and puzzled eyes. "Saying this does not change the fact that I did it."

"Ate-"

"No.", she stood up and started to pace around while playing with her rings. "Rhea deserved what happened to her.", she said with an exhale. "She was a horrible person, caused the drift between me and Leyton, treated Lynesse horribly, and was more like a jailor to the rest of Leyton's children. She had cheated on him and while none of these are good enough reasons for her death; she did try to usurp our family seat. Thousands died because of her and thousands would continue to die because of her. I do not regret what I have done. It was both revenge and avenge with the addition of justice.", she looked at him, wanting him to understand her. "I took my revenge because of all the things she had done to me. I had avenged my brother because he almost fucking died. And I brought justice to this city for all of the sins. I do not regret it."

Vortimer decided to let her speak. They have been trying to make her speak for two moons now, he was glad that it finally happened. "And then the Yronwood boy?"

"I didn't do that myself.", she shook her head. "I did not break the guest right, I would never. Yes, I am complicit in it but it is not my sin but Lord Dayne's."

"Jacen?"

"He murdered his brother, my cousin.", she hissed with pain. "Cuckholded Leyton would kill Leyton, tried to kill me-"

"Don't you think it is an exaggeration?", he scowled. "He did-", the realization hit her when he had seen her teary face. "Atera...", he managed to whisper as he stood up. "Who else knows?", his voice was grave.

"Only Paxter, I told only to him.", she swallowed a cry. "Alerie had seen it but we did not speak of it."

"So this is why I had to put guards in Jacen's tower.", he sighed and rubbed his face. "Paxter attempted to kill him twice -I had to stop him personally once. This explains the sheer intensity of the act.", Atera closed her eyes. "This was not intentional?"

"I said I do not wish to marry, I did not say I do not wish to marry at the expense of the candidates.", she bit her lip. "I am a horrible person."

"I am in no position to judge you, I've fought in a war before.", he put his hands on her arms. "It changes a person as a whole.", he was frowning as he looked to the air with a deep scowl. "It was a different me who went there and a different one who returned. I killed people that I still do not know to this day. What were their names, what were their ages, where were they from, did they leave a family behind, did they want to fight themselves or were have to.", he took a troubled breath. "Sleep does not come to me easily any longer.", he leaned forward and their foreheads touched. "You didn't kill the Prince of Pentos."

"Accident or not-"

"Because the real Prince of Pentos never left Pentos. That man who came here was an actor, paid by Alerie. There was no marriage offer, not anything. She had staged the entire thing -including his fake death so that you would give in and would speak to Leyton.", he blurted out with one breath and just stood there, did not move, did not open his eyes, not even when he felt her taking a few steps back and getting rid of his touch.

"Alerie did all this?", she asked with a straight face. "Alerie?"

"She wanted to make you see something."

"What is that?", she asked with a completely horrified face. "What did I possibly do to deserve this from her out of all people?"

"You are not a bad person, Atera.", he straightened his spine and stated as if he was talking to a child. "If you were a bad person, you would not feel this bad. You have a sense of justice and do horrible things, yes, but after they push you first. You are not a killer.", though the last line sounded more like an insult. "You are just a human."

Atera shook her head multiple times. "No.", she cursed. "This does not show-"

"The act of Prince of Pentos, by all means, was a bad person, no?", he tilted his head. "Who continuously disrespected you, undermined you, forced you into something you do not wish to do, cornered you?", he raised his voice a little.

"This-this is an exaggeration of what happened. We-"

"You did not take it as an insult because it was done to you and you do not think yourself worthy enough to kill him.", he interrupted her. "If he would have do things to your family, then you would not feel this bad. You will get sad, yes, because no matter what this was not your intention but your guilt would pass away because you would think it is justified to a degree. But now, you've been melting away because you do not think you, as an individual, are this important."

"This is a really bad time for a psychological asse-"

"Sometimes, to learn a lesson, first you must go through the seventh hell itself.", he sighed. "What did you learn from this one then?"

"That you all are psychopaths!", she yelled. "Cruel psychopaths who love mind games-"

"And you do not?", he took a step towards her. "I do understand the overall shock and hurt but can you truly tell me there isn't a part in you that does not feel the excitement and appreciate the dark intelligence of the entire act? You want to slap me right now, yes, but can you tell me there isn't a part of you that would rather kiss me?", another step. "Or you want to scream at Alerie, don't you want to congratulate her at the same time because she managed to trick you even though there were so many signs that we left so you could see the big picture?"

"You are sick.", she nodded. "You and Alerie and whoever knew this and stood silent, you all are sick."

"Do you trust us any less because of this?", it was a question that splashed cold waters into her face because the answer was 'no'. A knowing smile appeared on his lips. "This was a step too far, yes, I accept. But deep down you know that this was necessary to end your own self-loathing. I think deep down you are almost thankful. Because now you can stop blaming yourself for everything and you can move on, accept that you did what you did, and let it stay in the past.", he placed a kiss on her cheekbone as she closed her eyes. "Speak to Leyton as well, he didn't know anything. It will help you."

*

Alea was lighting the candles in the big room. It was richly decorated, colours maroon and gold filling the entire room with golden candles all around it. The bed was larger than Atera's, filled with fluffy pillows and expensive cushions with one thick fur blanket. Other than that there was one desk -his office was in the other room but still, she knew the lord enough to know that he sometimes woke up at night to check on some matters, therefore there was a small desk in his room. Unlike Atera, who placed shelves on her walls just for aesthetic reasons, he had a library filled with his favourite books.

After everything happened, her lord still didn't leave his room, let alone his chambers. He was doing everything in his bedchamber. Though Alea knew, because Alerie told her so, that he left his room a fortnight ago for Atera. And now he visited his office while the servants bought the small dining table there and filled it with food. Alea was coordinating it since Atera was depressed and wished to be left alone.

"My lord.", with multiple people acknowledging his presence, she finished lighting up the candles and turned around, made a curtsy and waited after everyone left to see if there was anything else he wanted.

"How is my sister?", it was a fixed question both Leyton and Atera asked.

"Not well.", she never lied to either of them, it was not her place to do so. "She had talked about something with Lord Crane and ever since she returned, she is very placed and is refusing to talk. She went to bed early and sent everyone away."

Leyton tied his hands behind his back. "Should I talk with her?"

"I am sure that you would find out soon enough, my lord. But I doubt you will learn it from her.", she sighed. "She refused to speak even to me."

"And she trusts you more than she trusts me?"

"No, she confides in me more than she confides in you.", she was not going to like that Leyton Hightower was a handsome man who always caught her attention but now seeing that she never caught his made her even more ambitious about him. She was his sister's best friend for the past decade for fuck's sake, how could he be so blind when it came to her? "She would speak to me when she is ready."

"You know what happened to the other night, then?", he asked with a challenge.

"Of course I do.", Alea scoffed. She was the one who washed her afterwards and tried to calm her tears as she broke down. "It was a mistake that she regrets greatly and it affects her badly."

"What is your suggestion then? To help her?"

"Let her be.", she shrugged. "Stop forcing her to get married."

"I am not forcing her, I just wanted her to know that she has options. I just wanted her to measure those options."

"I believe you just made your sister an open target for many power-hungry young men. It is what she doesn't like. Especially this Prince of Pentos-"

"It was not real.", Leyton blurted and then took advantage of her silence, suppressed a winning smile and sat down at his table. "This is too much food for one person."

"What do you mean it was not real?", she asked with hesitance.

"I mean that someone -probably Arvel,", his voice was sharp when he said his brother's name. "Hit my precious daughter's head when she was a baby and we are seeing the effects of it now."

"My lord-"

"I will explain if you accompany me to dinner.", Alea opened her mouth and closed it a few times. "It is too much food for one person."

"I wouldn't dare-"

"Why, you are not a servant after all but a lady."

"I am no lady."

"Your mother is.", he opened his arms. "That makes you one too, it is not optional, I'm afraid."

"My lord-"

"I believe the sweating sickness is something everyone in this castle wishes to believe.", he interrupted her with a tired smile. "They all have been acting like I am sick -including my children and my siblings. No one wishes to stay alone with me.", he sent her a look. "I will respect it if it is your desire too but if it is not, please accompany me. I am rather bored.", it seemed like a friendly request though Alea could sense the dare underneath.

"As you wish, my lord."

*

"Do you remember,", Arvel's entire body became tense and turned towards the voice. "one time our father went hunting and he didn't take us with him?", Leyton approached him and put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. "It was supposed to be a fortnight-long thing, it was the deer season or something but then a storm went down and he had to stay there for like a moon. Mother said we should make him a gift so he would be happy when he returned. I made a ring, you made a dagger."

"These are the first words you utter to me more than a decade of not seeing each other?", Arvel snorted and nodded to himself. "I barely remember. I couldn't finish mine."

Leyton laughed at that. "Yes because I broke it."

"Why would you do such a thing?", he asked with a frown.

"We were boys.", he sighed. "I was barely eleven and you were nine. Father loved your gift very much while didn't even look at mine. I was childish, I wanted to ruin it. Jealousy.", he raised his eyebrows briefly and then turned to look at him while his squeezing in his shoulder became harsher. "It's a good thing now those days are long behind and it is not me who is jealous any longer."

"Ley-"

He never broke his smile but leaned forward to whisper into his ear, his squeezing was too harsh that Arvel had to bite back a groan. "I know what kind of a creature you truly are, Arvel. You can fool everyone but not me. I don't know why you are here but I will find out. I suggest you run away before it happens."

*

"I have a gift for you Grandpa!", Willas approached Leyton after the dinner. "I hope you like it."

Leyton bite back a groan and leaned forward to pick him up. "I love everything you give me.", Willas made a hand gesture to one of the servants and he gave the big silver box to Leyton. When he opened he raised his eyebrows in an impressed way, Malora approached him from behind to see what it was and then sent a look to Alerie. "This is the most beautiful chess set I had ever seen, Willas, thank you.", he placed a kiss on top of his head.

Willas was sitting on his lap, he was securing him with one hand while holding the box with the other. "I hope one day we can play it together.", he said with a smile. "I already beat my uncles."

Leyton tried not to snort but Atera did not have the same courtesy. She loudly let out a 'hah' voice -causing Alysanne to giggle. "Everyone can beat your uncles, it is an easy task."

"When they will return, Grandpa?", Garlan asked from the floor. He was playing with little wood caven dragon toys. "Mother said they went for business again."

The elections would take place tomorrow night. "They will be here within a week, do not worry about them."

"I miss them when they are gone.", Garlan pouted, put down his toy and approached Leyton. "I missed you too Grandpa."

Leyton's face softened and he made a gesture for servants to take the box out of him so Garlan could climb into his lap. "I miss you two too.", he kissed both of their heads and saw Alerie's teary eyes.

"I heard you were sick.", Willas leaned to his chest. "My mamma cried all the time."

Alerie turned her head away and Mace placed a hand on her knee, Leyton sighed. "I am better now.", he forced himself to smile. "Thanks to your aunt Atera.", he bowed his head towards his sister. "I am a lot better now."

*******

There is no point in denying it; I loathe this chapter with passion. I was too busy to write it and when I had time writer's block hit me again and I had to leave out more than half of the planned chapter. It is more like a filling chapter where we start new storylines but nothing significant ever happens. Every part has its rotten egg, think of it that way. Like part one had 'the princess', the second part had 'the rains' and this part has this *shrug.

Also, the entire Prince of Pentos subplot that you read in this chapter is taken from a Reign episode -I am not happy what that one too but I believe it was necessary for Atera's personal growth because she genuinely needs to bury some hatches before she moves on.

It is also not the shortest chapter but definitely amongst the top three.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 56.9K 114
A daughter born admits snow with ice in her eyes and fire in her heart A son born admits flames with fire in his eyes and ice in his heart The union...
29.6K 1.8K 32
Elia Martell lost her husband, her children and her best friend. But she escaped with her life and the life of A baby boy. Born of Rhaegars seed but...
40.4K 1.1K 51
🚧UNDER HEAVY EDITING🚧 Riva Targaryen is Rhagar Targaryen's twin sister. Viserys always envied his older sister and looked down at her just the way...
18.9K 984 42
Aelsa Lannister was hand of king, the first woman hand in history and she couldnt let anything get in her way of her success. So when she got pregnan...