Inner Demon: The Dark Bloods...

Von Lady_Lucia

★ 2013 Watty Finalist ★ The day Reyna gives her friend Dante the chance to be her boyfriend is the day a demo... Mehr

Prelude*
Chapter 1 - Echoes*
Chapter 2 - Reflection's Lie*
Chapter 3 - Cemetery Stroll*
Chapter 4 - Food is Expensive
Chapter 5 - Separately Together
Chapter 6 - Glimpses
Chapter 7 - The Scarred Guest
Chapter 8 - Shadow's Play
Chapter 9 - The Demonic Stalker
Chapter 10 - A Sword's Hunger
Chapter 11 - Secret Research
Chapter 12 - Portraits
Chapter 13 - Verses From the Past - Part I
Chapter 13 - Verses From the Past - Part II
Chapter 14 - Lullabies of the Forgotten
Chapter 15 - Strike
Chapter 16 - Separated at Dawn
Chapter 17 - The Other Half
Chapter 18 - Almost the Truth
Chapter 19 - Funeral and a Promise
Chapter 20 - Shared Vision
Chapter 21 - Frozen
Chapter 22 - Trials
Chapter 23 - Seeing Blue
Chapter 24 - Playing with Clay - Part I
Chapter 24 - Playing with Clay - Part II
Chapter 25 - The Onyx and Jade World
Chapter 27 - Brave Bodies - Part I
Chapter 27 - Brave Bodies - Part II
Chapter 28 - Sting
Chapter 29 - The Coldest Room
Chapter 30 - In the Ashes - Part I
Chapter 30 - In the Ashes - Part II
Chapter 31 - Shades of the Fall
Chapter 32 - Desires
Chapter 33 - Bleed Out
Chapter 34 - Shut and Tell
Chapter 35 - Sadistic's Story
Chapter 36 - Pull of Caged Flames
Chapter 37 - Crash
Chapter 38 - Absent Inside
Epilogue
Author's Note - Please read!

Chapter 26 - Lethal Lunacy

4.7K 282 72
Von Lady_Lucia

26.

Lethal Lunacy

"Once upon our time, there was no Earth. Mortals did not exist. Only demons flourished within this world." Blethinette's voice rang in the room following her pause. She inhaled and placed her hands on her lap. "It was a young world with young demons. They ran the lands, ungoverned in any way. They slaughtered each other for food and sport. During such times a demon could only trust himself.

"However, there were few who did not adopt such a life. These scarce demons that did not even know the existence of one another. They did not support the pointless bloodshed that was a regular demon's way of life. Butchering demons for food was senseless, for all demons obtain nourishment from the planet's own existence. Demon World pulses a life-stream throughout the planet. It manifests in the soil, the atmosphere, and the oxygen. Demon World's presence alone feeds demons." Again Blethinette paused and stared at Reyna. She smiled at the mortal's confused face.

"I see you are perplexed," the queen said. "Demons -all demons- acquire power from their home soil. Simply by living here, they are being fed. Did you ever notice what bestowed Mundus' power?"

Reyna, struck by the unexpected question, opened her mouth to answer but said nothing. Blethinette again smiled, waiting for her to regain her composure. Mundus crossed his arms over his chest, but said nothing. Finally, Reyna softly spoke, "Do you mean human blood?"

"No." Blethinette shook her head. "That feeds Lina. The moon," -her mismatched eyes gleamed- "the moon, our home, gives us power."

"The moon?" It was now Reyna who shook her head. "You live on the moon? Demons are little spacemen?"

Blethinette gave an airy laugh. "You do entertain, mortal. Our home is not the crater infested rock you believe it to be. Its true existence is what you have seen. Dark skies and grassy plains. The land is as endless as it appears."

"I don't understand how that is possible," Reyna whispered.

"It shall be made clear in the story I am bestowing to you," the demon queen answered.

Mundus' grunt suddenly sliced through the conversation. "With which increased haste you should account."

"Oh, patience," Blethinette said and lifted her hand to place upon Lina's head. The Spirit smiled as the queen petted her.

"She is the weapon Spirit I gave to Mundus so long ago. She calls me 'mother' because I found her and gave her a home with us," Blethinette spoke, her eyes on the happy Lina. "Such is what our story is about. The creation of humans and their home.

"For you see, one of these demons that did not wish to kill was named Furiae. She was The Mother. In time, she met another demon named Tides who would soon become The Father. He, too, was like her. They did not like the violent way of the demons. Hoping to keep each other safe, they chose to live with one another. Such companionship lead way to a new experience among demons. Love."

Blethinette stopped her tale once more along with the petting of Lina's head. She kept her eyes fixated on the ground. "Furiae gave birth," she spoke up as if her pause never occurred, "yet this child was different. There were no fierce characteristics on it. It held no fangs or claws. Its texture was weak. It was soft and aged quickly. More peculiar, its blood was the same essence as the life-stream that ran through Demon World. This mortal was said to be born from the very planet. To consume it, demons soon came to think, would enhance their strength.

"Furiae and Tides knew their child would not survive in the world of demons. After countless, exhausting years of defending their child against attacks, Furiae and Tides took it upon themselves to create another world for their child to live in, away from destructive fiends. Of course the demons did not wish to be robbed of such a delicacy. This child of the planet would not escape them. Their attacks increased; however, something else also happened.

"A handful of demons emerged and came up to Furiae and Tides. They too upheld morals like theirs and they too bore weak, mortal children. These demons wished to have their children transported to the world Furiae and Tides were to create. Though not all held the same powerful tier of Magika as the pair, they offered whatever aide possible in this new world's creation.

"Thus these demons created Earth and all in it. Furiae and the other demons modeled many of their earthly creations after concepts in Demon World. They implanted it with a 'planet history' to steer their children off their demonic heritage. They hoped for them to live differently than how the demons lived in Demon World. They created everything -your majestic scenery, exotic animals, living plants, and your vast oceans, a sight privy to your world alone. All known of your mortal home and its surroundings is their making.

"Of course, I must admit the mental evolution of mortals flourished as they adapted, falling into their own niches and inventing creations of their own, situating a system for them to live by.

"Know that in the beginning, though, a total of six mortals, three males and three females, were sealed off to Earth as humankind's first. The oldest was Furiae's child, a male of an estimated human age of twenty five, and the youngest was a female of eight. The demonic parents created a physical home for them and implanted false memories in them for the exception of Furiae's child. He was their silent guide, ensuring they lived in complete oblivion. It was speculated he found a spouse with the eldest female in the group and together they created Human World's first blood tied family.

"Despite the demon parents' attempts to distance their children from their world, the love they held for them was too great. A picturesque link was bestowed between the two worlds. Thus, the 'moon' was brought upon the Earth, a one way mirror for the mortals to see their true home and Demon World's disguise."

Blethinette briefly paused.

"Such a creation killed them of course." She smiled. "Though Furiae and the others died, it did not mean the rest of the demons forgot about the mortal delicacies. Human centuries and millenniums sped by and while the humans thrived, the demons attempted to disrupt Earth's seal. When at last they succeed, several portals were made for quick access between the two worlds.

"When the demons invaded, the mortals almost disappeared. It was during such a time some discovered their powers. Thus these awakened mortals joined forces and retaliated. Clans were made to teach others the art of defeating demons. What are considered myths and legends in your world were actual happenings of demonic wars.

"Though this tale is a mere summary of you and your world's birth, believe it to be absolute truth."

Blethinette grinned, exposing her small fangs for the first time. Her eyes were wide with borderline insanity. "Do you not see, mortal? The reason for your power is because of us. Power that is weak in comparison for mortals are nothing but genetic mutations born from demons!" Blethinette's crazed leer widened. "Such is why I deserve to rule mortals! You all are demons too!"

The synchronized movements of Reyna rushing forward and Mundus holding her back with an arm around her waist were the only actions in the room. Reyna leaned hard against Mundus arm, trying to escape his grasp. Her arm was aglow with a transparent blue blade that emerged from her arm like an extended limb. Tears were in her eyes. Short, rough breaths escaped through her bared teeth as she glared at the calm and grinning demon queen.

A shadowed figure fell from the ceiling in front of Blethinette -the missing power level from earlier. A sword was drawn from the bodyguard's sheath. As it appeared, the silver caught fire until the entire blade was engulfed in flames that did not scorch it. Though it burned brightly, the guard's physique remained in illogically placed shadows. Lina quickly jumped next to the sentinel, ready to defend her queen as well.

"Et su deseo caesum es mortal?" the demon with the flaming sword spoke. The voice was smooth and articulated each of the strange words -neither from one human tongue, yet from all- as one language. The language of the demons.

"No need, dears," Blethinette waved her defenders away, choosing to keep her English speech. Lina looked at her before slowly moving to her original spot. The guard placed the flaming sword away, choking the fire without so much as a wisp of smoke, and fell into darkness once more.

"We shall take our leave," Mundus spoke as if nothing had occurred. He gently nudged Reyna's weapon down. The blue dimmed and died out along with Reyna's posture as her head hung and her arms heavily fell by her sides.

"Lina!" Mundus called out to her. "We depart."

Blethinette's smile did not waver as she watched the three figures -one taut and strong, one afloat and wisp-like, and one frail and limp- exit her throne room.

~*~*~

The descent back to Demon World's grassy fields was swift and quick. Reyna was lifeless in Mundus' arms; he had to grip her tightly to prevent her from falling. Lina, hovering as usual, landed with a soft swish that pushed down the vibrant, green grass. When Mundus released Reyna, she hugged herself, nails digging into her arms as the same thought constantly ran through her brain.

I'm...I'm a demon? Am I really? This can't be. Her eyes were wide.

"Reyna!" Mundus' voice roared through the silence. He had his hands on her shoulders and peered desperately at her.

Instead of looking at the demon, Reyna's gaze lazily drifted towards an aimless direction. Lina was at her usual twenty feet distance. Even at that expense she appeared anxious as she stared worriedly at her master.

"Gaze onto me, Reyna," Mundus demanded. She slowly did. He regarded her with a mixture of contemplation and unease.

"I did not desire for you to know," he gently spoke to her, concern breaking through his usual smugness. "I apologize. She vowed to release you with life if you observed her tale. It is solely the reason I allowed such a telling to be heard by you."

Reyna only shook her head. If Mundus is not denying it...even apologizing...then it has to be true.

Mundus then jolted, sensing a presence heading towards their direction. Reyna felt it too, but it did little to change her slumped appearance.

"Master?" Lina inquired for her orders.

Mundus pulled away from Reyna and was about to draw his sword when he stopped. His body relaxed and straightened out of his battle position.

"Cerus," he said. His lips coiled in a smile, his worries over Reyna momentarily forgotten.

A huge animal appeared before them on all fours. It resembled a wolf but it was the size of a four door car and twice as tall. The creature's coat was a knitted blanket of various hues of blue. The colors seemed to be in constant motion, crawling on the fur like waves of water dancing with the sunlight.

"Mundus!" the giant wolf spoke with excitement though its jaw never opened. It wagged its two fluffy tails. "I didn't believe it was you when I sensed you. You are much weaker!"

At this, Mundus snarled. "I have yet to acquire my body, Cerus."

The wolf demon lowered his head and his entirely whited-out eyes closed. "I am sorry. I did not wish to offend you." He lifted his head and began to sniff the air. "They all know you are here now. The demons have kept out of your way."

He lowered his head and noticed Reyna standing behind Mundus. Cerus' eyes widened. "I know this human!" he spoke and again his tails wagged as what appeared to be a smile curled on his canine lips. "You're Reyna!"

Reyna, who was simply staring at the wolf demon in amazement, finally reacted.

"What?" she said. "How do you know me?"

"Your father, Walter, talks about you all the time. I've smelled you on him when we talk. I am one of the main share holders of the company he works for. We meet a lot in his out of town meetings."

Ice churned in Reyna's stomach. My dad has come in contact with a demon all this time? Are we all really that much the same? She stared at the giant wolf.

"How?" she creaked.

"Oh yeah. My form," Cerus said. A bright light emerged from his body and engulfed his entire physique. He began to shrink as the light pulled in the wolf figure and pushed out a man's body. The light left and what resembled a male human faced Reyna and Mundus.

He was taller and more muscular than Mundus. His short hair was the same odd blue color as his fur, and his eyes now housed bright blue pupils. Cerus wore white, baggy shorts that stopped by his knees. His shirt was sleeveless with what looked like an oversized turtle neck collar.

Cerus smiled. It was a warming curve of his lips despite his multiple fangs.

"When was your residence in the human world and for what purpose?" Mundus immediately asked.

His smile widened. "I think I had already returned back here before you awakened," he said. His energetic voice spewed from moving lips this time. "I didn't sense any of your Magika or essence while I was in the human world."

Mundus crossed his arms, scrutinizing Cerus.

"Your father knows me as Cain by the way," Cerus spoke to Reyna, ignoring Mundus' leer. "Obviously I disguised myself a bit more human looking than this. As a demon who likes to visit Human World and actually has a 'double life' there I have to make sure to blend in well."

He stepped closer to her. "I didn't think you'd be as cute as you smelled. You're so much cuter!" He scoped her up in his arms and gave her a hug that almost knocked her out.

"Such is enough!" an irritated Mundus pulled the two apart.

A low growl that did not belong to either of the demons was heard. The three looked down at the source of the sound. It was a wolf pup whose fur was a snow white color. Small, golden eyes glared up at Mundus as the little wolf nipped at his ankles.

"Ah, yes," Mundus reached down and picked up the pup by the excessive skin on his neck. "I had quite forgotten of you."

"Good, Flow!" Cerus exclaimed as he plucked the baby wolf from Mundus. "You defended your Master well!" The wolf panted happily and gave a small howl of pleasure.

"This is Flow," Cerus introduced him to the gawking Reyna. "He is my Spirit weapon. When we Fuse, we become the form you saw earlier."

Reyna gazed at the small animal in Cerus' arms that could pass as a regular wolf in her world. "You look so much like the wolves back home," she said as she tried to pet the pup that hesitantly sniffed at her hand. After a few curious whiffs, he finally allowed her to touch him.

"Yes," Cerus nodded. "Our two worlds look alike in a lot of ways."

Reyna stopped petting Flow who licked her in an attempt to coax her to continue. Demon World and Human World did indeed possess many similarities. The land itself shared the general concept of a grassy terrain. A sky, though distinct in color, topped over both of them. Even the atmosphere felt the same, for demons and human alike could breathe and exist in both worlds. Blethinette had said Furiae and Tides modeled earth with Demon World resemblances.

More importantly were the demons themselves. They appeared so human. Remove the claws, the fangs, and the odd hair and eye colors and these demonic entities could pass as normal people.

Reyna began to pet Flow again. Mundus, keen and familiar with her thinking process, observed her ponderous face but said nothing.

"Maaaaaster!" a bored Lina yelled out of the blue. "This one wishes to find nourishment!"

Spirits did not share the same Magika essence as demons, making them undetectable to everyone except other Spirits or their masters. Such is why Cerus' head snapped towards her upon hearing her voice. He had not noticed her standing her usual twenty feet distance. Her now acknowledged presence zapped an urge in him. His fingers twitched and Flow gave a small yelp as he jumped down from Cerus' unsteady hands.

Mundus allowed Lina to leave without even a glance at her direction. She giggled and disappeared with the sound of wind rustling through grass.

"Well it seems Flow likes you," Cerus said, composure found with Lina's disappearance. The pup had leapt up on Reyna's shoulder with impressive agility and balance. "At least he likes one of you two." He leaned closer to Reyna. "Mundus is such a big grouch Flow doesn't like him at all."

Reyna giggled at Cerus' words. He and Flow were a pleasant distraction. Though Mundus had his back towards them, his grunt of annoyance was heard. Such was all he did. His eyes were on at the horizon as if waiting for something.

"How do you know Mundus?" Reyna asked Cerus as Flow bit her ponytail.

He smiled. "I've known him way too long. It probably translates to millenniums in human time more or less. Time between our worlds doesn't flow the same. It's unstable. What could be a second here could be ten years there or vice versa. But anyways, Mundus, me, and Erian have always know each other since we could remember."

"Erian?"

"Him," Cerus pointed at the figure that was approaching Mundus. A head shorter than the moon demon, this new demon possessed a calm yet powerful demeanor. His dark green hair as straight as blades of grass was entirely out of his face and hung halfway down his back. A black, sleeveless robe tightly hugged his small, yet built, chest and flowed down to his ankles. Five golden buckles ran down the torso of it. As he walked up to Mundus, the two slits -one on the right side, the other on the left-that ran down from the waist to the bottom hem of his robe flapped open. Dark gray pants peeked through with each stride.

A curiously coiled weapon dangled by his right side from a dark gold belt. It resembled a whip composed of broken blade pieces. A thick, silver chain threaded through the several jagged shards like beads on a crude necklace.

The new demon stood before Mundus. Though Erian had to face up to see eye to eye with him, he did so with a sense of arrogance. The two demons glared at each other, quiet for a few moments.

"Shall we go then?" the demon named Erian spoke. His voice was a paradox of a solid yet soft cord. Without waiting for Mundus' reply, he turned away and began walking from the same direction he had arrived from.

Cerus came up to Mundus. "He actually talked to you this time." He grinned and followed Erian. Flow jumped down from Reyna's head and raced towards his master.

Mundus turned around and faced Reyna. "Come," he told her.

"Uh." Reyna approached him and they began to walk together, a few yards behind Cerus and Erian. "What about Lina?"

"She will encounter us eventually."

Silence briefly reigned over them.

"Reyna- " Mundus began.

"No, Mundus," she interrupted. "Just let it sink in. I mean what she -Blethinette- said makes sense. It explains a lot of things I guess."

Mundus then did something surprising. He took her hand and laced his fingers with hers, gently so his claws wouldn't scratch her.

"I plead you, do not think ill of me," he said, his eyes beaming into hers. "I do not wish for you to despise me." His hand slightly tightened. "It would cause me great affliction if you did."

Reyna almost choked on her words so taken back by his own as she was. "Of-of course not! Mundus, I could never hate you!"

The demon softly sighed. "I do greatly cling to such."

*****************************************

Author's Note: Hello once more! I had fun writing this chapter; it presents two of my favorite characters from this story- Erian and Cerus. I hope you come to like them as well. ^.^

Sooo...I've been toying with the idea of possible entering this story into the Watty Awards if its eligible and what not. I'm not sure yet. I know it'll have a lot of competition though. What are your thoughts?

Either way...thanks for your support and your feedback should you choose to leave some. I'm just happy and grateful so many of you choose to read my story. Yay! ^-^

Drawings in order by appearance:
Blethinette
Cerus by azurextwilig
Cerus and Erian by nina_mandirina

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

550K 20.1K 72
*Completed* "No smart move.. I suppose I can trust you on this.." He said in his deep voice leaving my hand.He didn't need to tell me that.. I was so...
75 13 13
DANTE X ORIGINAL CHARACTER Lynaria Woods lives a quiet and fulfilling life tending to her flower-medicinal shop after the death of her father leaving...
7.2M 283K 24
(Bfflad- Best friends for life and death) Dear Reader, Let's start at the beginning shall we? I died. Oh no, not one of these stories again where som...
57.8K 813 19
(This is my first time writing this please don't judge me because I am little bad writer but I am try do best so enjoy it) Once at time, there are Le...