Honor Thy Brother|Band of Bro...

By elenadrake

Jamie Jacobi aka JJ and Margaret Valentine aka Peggy are two women who experienced two different worlds, whil... More

๐˜๐˜–๐˜•๐˜–๐˜™ ๐˜›๐˜๐˜  ๐˜‰๐˜™๐˜–๐˜›๐˜๐˜Œ๐˜™.
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.

Chapter Nineteen.

88 5 0
By elenadrake

[A/N: So little note, Silence (which is the pacific fanfic connected to this story) will be published soon with 2-5 chapters written for it at the time of publishing. However, while thinking about this story and silence, I believe what's best to cover our ocs (JJ, Peggy, and Kezia) postwar situations and so forth, is there will be a sequel that merges all three girls' stories together in one despite their locations at the end of each story. I think it'll be better because eventually, they will intertwine for various reasons and it's easier for me to manage and organize that way. Anyway, I'm gonna get down on working on Silence which will hopefully be posted sometime soon.]

Rest in peace, now get up and go to war.

That's what Peggy's father did during the Great War. It was hell, so, he told himself that every morning and as a result (whether or not it was because of what he uttered to himself), he made it through the war. Peggy followed in her father's footsteps, thinking that to herself every morning, hoping those words would get her out alive just like they did her father. But...it made her wonder, did Jamie's father have something of this like for his time during the Great War? She was sure her cousin Kezia's father did as well, given his time in the great war and his transition to the field of anthropology he went into and that Kezia followed him into, he and she understood the importance of words and what they meant. The woman let out a breath from where she sat on a bench, fumbling with the dog tags in her hands. Dogtags that were not her own, she was so stuck in her thought she barely heard the footsteps of Winters before he sat down next to her with a small sigh. "Nix told me you were asking around for me, what's wrong, Peggy?" Winters asked softly, placing a gentle hand on his friend's shoulder, a small frown on his face when he looked at her. Something was off.

"We...we're heading out soon, but I needed to do something I've been holding off for some time but I can't do it alone." Peggy swallowed hard and finally spoke up, turning her gaze to Winter's who was growing even more concerned.

"Okay." Winters uttered with a nod.

"One of my guys...this was his," Peggy says, holding up the dogtags while Winters looked at them with a small frown. "On our last drop together, Private Charles Andrew went MIA, presumed dead for six months by...us. It's what we told his family, what I wrote to his family before I joined easy. He was MIA until this morning, I received this from Monty." She explained to Winters, referring to General Montgomery as she pulled out a letter from her pocket and passed it over to Winters who read it.

"Jesus...he was killed en route to a POW camp." Winters sighed, running a hand down his face but that's when it hit him. "They want you to tell the family because you knew him." He realized and Peggy cleared her throat but nodded.

"Yeah...Andrew is...my distant cousin on my father's side." Peggy revealed which made Winters stop in surprise, that he didn't know. "I tried to ask them to get Kezia to send a letter instead of me talking to them but...they didn't want that." She tells him calmly while rubbing her hands together anxiously, Winters only knew of Kezia, Marie, and her father being in the military right now besides Peggy herself. He didn't realize she had that much family out there fighting right now. "They know we're both in contact with her and apparently it's too dangerous to try and get letters like that, non-priority, out of the Pacific from their position right now." She added, knowing letters between Winters and Kezia, if they were being written and sent would be easier.

"You want me to go with you to give the bad news?" Winters guessed and Peggy pressed her lips together in a thin line.

"Dick, I would hate to put you in this position but...you get it and I don't want to ask JJ," Peggy says with shaky breath and Winters reaches forward, taking his friend's hand in his own. "God knows what nightmares this'll put in her head about her brother. Charles was his age. George...he doesn't need to experience this, none of them need to know what it's like to give someone's mother the worst news of their life." She breathed and Winters squeezed her hand gently, he understood completely and he would do this for her.

"I'll go with you. You're my friend and partner, Peggy, and you need me." Winters agreed with a small smile and Peggy looked at him thankfully. "We should bring Nix though because...you need as much backup as possible." He suggested, the woman nodded and Winters rubbed her back comfortingly. "How about I get Nix and Lipton and we take a bus to the address, it's not that far based on the letter?" Winters offered and Peggy mumbled a yeah in agreement.

"I promised to look after him, I promised his mother as his family," Peggy muttered suddenly with a sad look in her eyes. "How did I fail that promise so badly, Dick?" She asked with a whisper and Winter's face fell, the man shaking his head. She did not need to put the blame on her shoulders.

"You didn't, Peggy. Trust me, you didn't." Winters reassured her softly, he never realized, until they were set to jump for the first time, that Peggy was returning to that nightmare. And she did a great job of not letting anyone notice how much it affected her. This wasn't like Jamie who had never been in that situation. She had. Peggy was one of his closest friends next to Nixon at this point and he couldn't stand the idea of her feeling like this.

"I wish I could hold off telling them...just to give myself time to grieve, but...I have no idea when we'll be back." Peggy admitted to Winters who quietly nodded. He wished she could've had that time but she was right. They had no idea when they would be back. "You...you better go get Lewis and Lip. We need to get this done, the briefing will be soon, and then we're heading out." She cleared her throat and looked at him, Winters let out a breath of air and nodded.

"I'll be back soon," Winters promised, squeezing her shoulder before standing up and walking away to get Nixon and Lipton. It was quiet while Peggy sat by herself until she noticed the familiar sight of Private Miller. She hadn't the time before now to locate him and return his unit citation to him. And here he was, she didn't even have to come looking for him, the young boy was walking quietly down the road back towards base. Cobb had no right to tell him he didn't deserve that citation, he was going to get it back, even if he didn't openly wear it.

"Private Miller." Peggy's voice echoed, catching the quiet and distracted Private's attention. He came to a slow halt and turned around to spot Peggy, his eyes went wide and he immediately stood to attention and saluted. The actions made Peggy chuckle lightly, no matter how much she told them not to do that, they did it. "At ease, Private. You know you don't have to do that." She assured him with a gentle smile and his face went slightly red with embarrassment.

"Sorry, ma'am, I...I can't help it. It's just what I was taught." Miller chuckled awkwardly and Peggy smiled, shaking her head.

"Come, sit down, I have something for you." Peggy beckoned him, waving her hand while Miller frowned but slowly complied, sitting down next to the woman on the bench. "Listen to me when I say this, no matter what Cobb says, you earned this." She told him, taking the citation out of her pocket and holding it out to Miller, the young man opening his mouth to protest. "I have my issues with Cobb but you both equally earned this, because what matters is that you stepped up willing to fight for your country and your brothers and sisters, not that you got the chance. Bull knows that and he looks after his boys." Peggy softly explains to the young man, pressing the citation in his hand.

"After what Cobb said...I don't feel like I earned it." Miller admitted with a sad sigh.

"Why? Because you haven't been out there yet?" Peggy quietly asks and Miller wordlessly nods. "Fighting a war is more than just charging with guns, Jamie is an example as a medic, there are men who operate radios, men who provide supplies, build tanks, and build bridges. They all contribute and they don't pull out a gun." She pointed out and Miller listened, because slowly but surely, her words were winning him over because they held sense, more sense than Cobb's bitter ones.

"What if Cobb says something again?" Miller asks with a low yet soft voice.

"Pin it inside, it's closer to your heart, the people you love, and how proud they'd be of you," Peggy suggested smiling, Miller looked at her and smiled back while nodding. The young man clutched the citation tightly when Peggy spotted Winters, Nixon, and Lipton walking their way just as the bus was pulling up for them. "You should head back to base, we'll be returning shortly." She instructed him, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder and squeezing it.

"Thank you, Peggy. I really appreciate it." Miller uttered and Peggy gave a short nod before the young man stood and started walking back towards the base, saluting Winters, Nixon, and Lipton on his way up.

"Return his citation to him?" Lipton was the one to ask her.

"Yes. I don't want him beating himself up or thinking less of himself because of Cobb's bitter words." Peggy stated firmly which made the three men smile. They were fortunate to work with someone like Peggy, they didn't want to imagine what it'd be like without her.

"You ready to go? Dick gave us the details." Nixon piped up, Peggy's eyes flickered to Winters who gave her an encouraging nod and smile. The British woman took a deep breath and nodded, standing up and heading over to the bus. She stepped into the bus, the three men right behind her, as they went over to some seats. Peggy and Winters sat next to each other while Nixon and Lipton sat behind them. Peggy turned her head and found her gaze staring out the window as the bus started up and drove down the street.

"What if I freeze while trying to tell them?" Peggy murmured distractedly, her words gaining Winters's attention. "That's the worst thing I can do is freeze. He was family."

"Margaret," Winters spoke up quietly, Peggy slowly turning her head to face him. "I don't want you to worry about that, that's why I'm here, why Nix and Lipton are." He assured her softly, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It is the last thing to close the chapter with my old company," Peggy stated, taking a deep breath and picking at her thumb. "There's nothing else, they're all somewhere else and I'm here with you all." She said, glancing at Winters and giving him a short smile. Winters returned the smile and opened his mouth to reply when Nixon suddenly whipped around, resting his arm on the back of his seat, and interrupted before anything could be said.

"Have you been writing to Kezia like Mags and I suggested?" Nixon blurted, Peggy smirking slightly when she noticed Winters close his mouth and Lipton pause but act like he wasn't listening.

"Actually, that's a good question," Peggy commented, sharing a smirk with Nixon while Winters rolled his eyes and Lipton sighed.

"Peggy, Nixon...leave him alone," Lipton warned them.

"No, I know he wrote her a letter because he asked me to make sure he was spelling her name right," Peggy remarked and Nixon's head turned to his friend who sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"Oh no," Lipton murmured, shaking his head at them.

"Did he now?" Nixon grinned before he clapped his hands together. "Congratulations, Dick. You know a woman who's not family or your best friend interested in another man." He joked and Lipton elbowed Nixon harshly at his last comment while Peggy shot him a confused look with raised brows. Winters and Nixon, however, shared a small knowing look but Winters said nothing, he'd let Nixon run his mouth and get in trouble. Though Peggy watched as Winters shuffled in his seat and a gentle smile grew on her face, based on that alone, there was a positive outcome so far with the letters.

"Lewis, sit down and talk with Lip. I am speaking with Dick." Peggy ordered and Nixon's mouth dropped open in disbelief before she gave him a firm look. "I will tell you later." She mouthed, jerking her arm to gesture for him to sit down. Nixon huffed and turned around to face forward, Peggy turning her gaze back to Winters. "It went well I assume." Peggy guessed and Winters chuckled lightly.

"You always caught onto my tells quickly," Winters muttered and she laughed.

"Well, come on. What'd you say to her and her to you." Peggy urged, bumping her shoulder lightly against his.

"I introduced myself, told her what you said and suggested, said that I knew she sent you a letter, told her how you were doing, I talked about some things, and I asked her a few things," Winters replied with a small breath and Peggy listened with a smile. "I was surprised my letter got to her and hers to mine so quickly, but...I heard in the mail room they're prioritizing officer mail for non-emergent mail." He explained to Peggy, glancing at her as her brows perked up which made him sigh. Winters dug into his coat before pulling out an opened letter and handing it over to Peggy.

"Don't worry, I lied to Lewis. He won't know a thing." Peggy whispered with a wink, much to Winter's relief. She pulled out the letter from the envelope and her eyes began pouring over it. Of course, Peggy hadn't waited for Kezia to respond to her own letter where she told her everything and told her about Winters, but she knew Kezia well enough still that she wouldn't be irritated that Peggy hadn't waited for her response before telling Winters to write to her. A smile grew on Peggy's face as she read the letter from Kezia to Winters, she knew this was a good idea.

Dear Richard,
I believe we can start with telling me about yourself and I can tell you about myself. I'm sure Peggy has not told you everything about me. I did receive her letter, she did not give me time to respond, which I am fine with. Mail is hard to get out of the Pacific islands, especially with an operation about to go underway. Unlike my cousin, I don't hold an officer rank. No, I find myself along good young men, those who are dearest friends, such as a young man named Eugene Sledge. Though a man named Merriell Shelton does flirt with me often to pass the time, he's still a good friend but I ignore his flirting. I know about your close friendship with my cousin, she also mentioned a woman Jamie Jacobi. She shared much about her, it seems she adores her and you, and she seems glad to have you both as friends. However, allow me to tell you something about myself, to start that conversation, then you may do the same. I'll share three things, my middle name is Mahala, I speak multiple languages, and my favorite sweet is gelato, specifically, I enjoy chocolate hazelnut gelato. Gelato is like your American ice cream, except creamier. I will make sure my cousin gets you to try it at some point. She loved it every time she visited Italy, but now it is your turn for two things. If we are agreed.

And of course, you may ask me of my work from before the war, I would love it.

Arrivederci,
Kezia Vittori

"You both seem to be off to a very good start." Peggy commended with a smile, closing the letter back into the envelope and passing it back to Winters. "I don't need to tell you what to write, you'll get that yourself." She winked at her friend jokingly and Winters chuckled lightly before Peggy noticed the bus coming to a slow stop.

"This is our stop," Lipton called to the two, he and Nixon had remained quiet during their talk, especially after Peggy shut Nixon up.

"You know I do have a quick question." Nixon piped up when they started climbing out of the bus, Peggy and Winters leading the four of them. The other three glanced at Nixon with raised and confused brows, what was he on about now? "Didn't the Colonel order the safe sex mandate talk again before the briefing?" He asked them curiously, Peggy scrunched her face together and the other two men stared at him.

"Yes...and?" Peggy replied.

"Who's doing it? Roe or Jamie?" Nixon stated with a smirk, a smirk that clearly had an idea behind it.

"Nix...no, Jamie is not doing it." Winters shook his head.

"Why would she do it? I don't see the Colonel telling her to do it." Lipton frowned, but Peggy knew and so did Nixon, the two exchanging a look.

"No, she's the one doing it with Marie's help." the two answered much to the shock of Winters and Lipton.

"Why is she doing it?" Winters immediately questioned.

"She volunteered so Roe could have a quick visit with Vera before we leave and get supplies together," Peggy tells them and Lipton grimaces.

"That is not going to go well."

"No, it's going to go great. The kid is twenty-three, she can handle it. She's grown." Nixon defended Jamie's decision, even though he thought the outcome would probably be hilarious. He could already see her monotonously delivering the talk and snapping at hecklers.

"If she's grown, why do you still call her kid?" Winters inquired which made Nixon pause and Peggy and Lipton chuckle, but Nixon just eventually shrugged in response. That ended that conversation and the four remained in a comfortable silence until they eventually reached the house with the address in the letter. Peggy took a deep breath as she stared at the door and Winters placed a hand on her shoulder. "You've got this and we're here if you need us." He assured her, Peggy nodded before glancing at Nixon and Lipton who nodded. She exhaled before stepping over to the door and raising her knuckles to knock it, Peggy rapped her knuckles against the door three times and waited.

"The rule is...quick but sympathetic, we have a debriefing so we can't stay long or go inside," Peggy announced when she heard footsteps and the door opened to an older woman with dark hair and grey stripping throughout it.

"By the lord, Peggy." the older woman breathed with a laugh, giving the young woman a tight but quick hug of relief. "Arthur! Come here, it's Peggy! Daniel's daughter!" She called out and Peggy heard further footsteps before an older man walked into the room with a smile.

"It's good to see you, Peggy. We heard from your father that you were with the airborne now." Arthur smiled down at the brunette who swallowed hard and glanced back at Winters who nodded encouragingly. "Oh, she's brought some friends with her, Elodie." He glanced at his wife with a wide smile still on his face.

"Yes, sir. My name is Richard Winters, this is Lewis Nixon, Carwood Lipton." Winters introduced himself softly and his tone made the couple pause.

"Peggy...why are you here?" Elodie slowly asked.

"Mr. and Mrs. Andrew's, I have been tasked with informing you that at 1400 this past Saturday, your son-" Peggy began to inform them as they stared in shock when Elodie suddenly let out a piercing sob, Arthur quickly took her into his arms.

"No, no, no, no! He's not really dead! He's just missing, they'll find him!" Elodie screamed in refusal, hitting Peggy on the arm repeatedly which made her flinch. Winters winced at the sight, but none of them intervened, even though Nixon and Lipton stepped forward, Peggy shot them a look to stop.

"Peggy, just tell us, please." Arthur begged, holding his wailing wife and Peggy's lips trembled, her eyes watering.

"At 1400 this past Saturday, your son was confirmed to have been killed in action. He had been taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans and executed." Peggy shakily exhaled when she spoke, deciding against telling them that he had been found in a mass grave of executed POWs, but by the look in Mr. Andrew's eyes, he knew, he'd been in war before. "You have our sincerest condolences." She concluded, swallowing hard and passing Charles's dogtags to Mr. Andrew as Mrs. Andrew screamed in pain and her husband attempted to comfort her. Peggy clenched her fist and said nothing else before turning and walking away, past the three men who had accompanied her. A tear ran down her face, more forcing their way out and falling, even as she attempted to wipe them away clean. Winters, Lipton, and Nixon looked at each other before hurriedly following after the Lieutenant. Oh, how things changed within a second in war. She went from fond conversation to watching a mother and father lose everything. Hell was just on earth. But in this situation, she had no choice but to take her father's words: Rest in peace, now get up and go to war.

-8-

Winters and Lipton had told Jamie everything that happened, and Peggy was glad of that. She wanted her to know because Jamie would know something was wrong, but she just didn't want her to be there when it happened. A part of her had actually considered asking George, but like she told Winters, she didn't want him experiencing that. Winters, Nixon, and Lipton had already headed inside to prep for the briefing while Jamie was inside prepping for the mess she agreed to. Peggy was quiet with her arms crossed as she headed for the tent, that was when George Luz noticed her. It was not hard to notice her when she kept her head high in confidence typically. What he was seeing right now, was not Peggy typically. "Maggie." the voice of George Luz passed through her ears and Peggy came to a halt. "Are you okay?" He asked her with a concerned frown, Peggy exhaled and slowly turned to face George. She knew it was obvious she had been crying, her eyes were red, and when she had gotten back she needed some time alone.

"That's such a...odd question to ask when we have to go back out there." Peggy chuckled humorlessly and George knew immediately from her tone, nothing was okay for her. He'd known her for years now.

"Maggie, something happened, I can tell." George quietly said, taking her arm gently and leading her away from the mass of men heading inside the tent for privacy.

"I've just had a very difficult day so far, I um..." Peggy admitted, swallowing hard and taking a breath. It was like with Jamie, she didn't want him there when it happened but he would know something was wrong eventually afterwards. "I had to tell family my cousin was dead, killed in action." She confessed to George whose eyes widened but he went silent, trying to figure out what to say.

"Were you alone?" was the question that left George's mouth, he would hate to hear she did this all by herself.

"No, Dick, Lewis, and Lip were with me." Peggy shook her head and George breathed a sigh of relief at that. "I...I shouldn't be putting this on your conscience too, he wasn't your family." She sighed, her hands dropping to her side.

"Maggie..." George took a breath as he started to speak, he watched her for a moment in silence, her eyes downcast, before raising his hand and settling it gently on her cheek. Peggy let in a sharp breath, surprised at the sudden warmth and feeling on her cheek from George's hand. "I'm your friend, I care. Don't feel guilty about telling me." He assured her softly and Peggy smiled slightly.

"I put enough on Dick and Lewis, I don't want to do the same to you. It's not fair that I do it to them." Peggy tells him calmly and George shakes his head, neither noticing Jamie and Marie peeking out of the tent and spotting the two of them. Jamie exchanged a look with Marie who shook her head, this would stay between her, Jamie, and Peggy, plus George. "They already say nothing about how much of my baggage I put on them." She added, knowing taking them along with her to tell her family what happened to her cousin was some of that.

"You have one of the hardest jobs next to them, that's why they don't say anything. They understand, I understand." George insists with a gentle tone, his hand drops from her face and he takes a breath before pulling her into his arms. Peggy pauses surprised while Jamie and Marie watched with their mouths agape, especially when Peggy slowly wraps her arms around him. She did not expect him to hug her, his superior, right out in the open. Easy was incredibly close, but there were barriers they wouldn't cross when it came to Jamie and Peggy, they never wanted them to be uncomfortable. "I'm here for you, got that?" He whispers and Peggy squeezes her eyes shut, nodding and burying her face into his shoulder.

"Hey, what are we looking at?" Joe piped up from next to Jamie and Marie, startling the two of them for a moment. "Oh shit, is that Luz hugging Peggy out in the open?" He snorted in surprise, Jamie immediately whacking him in the stomach and he let out an 'ow' in response.

"Shut up, don't say anything." Jamie hissed at him and Joe opened his mouth to speak. "You're nosy, don't deny it." She cut him off firmly and Marie snickered bemusedly.

"Just act like you saw nothing, she won't have a problem if myself and Jamie saw, but you..." Marie stated, giving him a pointed look and raising her finger like a stern mother.

"I wasn't gonna say anything, I'm nosy, yes..." Joe agreed with Jamie's earlier assessment. "But I'm no snitch and I can keep my mouth shut, otherwise the entire company would've known Jamie's a virgin." He smirked teasingly, Jamie's face going red with embarrassment as she seethed at him and hit him hard on the arm. However, Marie ignored them and any potential bickering that may occur, her focus completely on the radioman and her sister. Shit, was her sister blind or just...trying not to get George or herself in trouble, more likely the latter.

"Fuck off, Joe. Go back inside the fucking tent." Jamie growled, shoving Joe back inside as he laughed quietly at her misfortune. "I know more than he'll ever know." She grumbled to herself, Marie wanted to laugh but she refrained, especially when she saw her and George step away from each other and begin heading back towards the tent. She quickly hit Jamie's arm and the two women stood up straight when the two of them approached.

"JJ, Marie, looking forward to your lecture." George joked lightly, Jamie smiling at her friend while Marie clicked her tongue.

"I don't know how I got wrapped into it," Marie murmured.

"I need someone who has medical experience and was a woman, I agreed to do this for Colonel Sink to embarrass them." Jamie had no problem in admitting it, much to the amusement of the older three who looked at her. "You're the only person I could think of." She shrugged bashfully, crossing her arms.

"You think he knows that?" George was grinning in amusement, now he knew the purpose behind her agreeing and it was very Jamie.

"Yes," Jamie replied shortly and George laughed with a nod.

"I'll see you inside," George told Peggy who nodded before turning to her friend and sister.

"You saw all of that?" Peggy immediately asked knowingly, the other two women exchanging a look but nodding.

"Well, unlike the rest of them, we aren't legally blind." Jamie sarcastically commented.

"What she's saying is we're women, your companions and family, and he's underneath you...in rank." Marie coughed and spoke up, a slight grin appearing on Jamie's face.

"Underneath her in more ways than one." She snorted with a grin, Peggy giving her friend an unamused look as Marie licked her lips and tried not to laugh.

"I am better than that, I will not put him or my career at risk." Peggy shook her head, her voice unwaveringly firm. "I have a powerful father that will keep me safe, George doesn't have that privilege. And he's just my friend." She reminded Jamie, though the younger woman knew that and Marie didn't bat an eye because she was acutely aware of that, given they were twins.

"Okay then." Marie bobbed her head, glancing at Jamie who stood there and said nothing until she elbowed her harshly.

"Ow! Okay, yes, I get it. I had to get a joke in though." the black-haired woman winced, rubbing her side and scowling at Marie.

"Sounds like a joke that would leave Skip's mouth. He's a horrible influence on you." Peggy muttered, shaking her head disapprovingly before walking past her friend and sister to the inside of the tent.

"Cobb could've been my influence," Jamie remarked snarkily which made Marie grimace, but both women said nothing else and headed inside the tent after Peggy. That was where Welsh told the boys before they got into the details of their next operation, Colonel Sink wanted them to go through the lecture again. Many of them groaned in annoyance, how many times did they need to hear this? They understood what the whole lecture was blabbing about. However, some of their mouths dropped open in shock and some of the more mature ones laughed in amusement when Jamie and Marie stepped up, giving the lecture and eventually reaching the demonstration with the sheath.

"So, the smart thing to protect yourself and whomever you have sex with is to put your socks on, boys." Jamie stated dryly, glancing over at Marie who passed over a cucumber and a protective sheath. Jamie refrained from laughing when she caught Babe watching with a red embarrassed face when Marie passed over the apparatus and sheath. "Some of you already have wives or fiances, so it's time to remember this talk...Bill." She said pointedly at the Philadelphia native who grinned.

"Hey, I promise I'm doing my duty." Bill raised his hands in surrender but he was still grinning.

"Marie." Jamie rolled her eyes but her lips twitched.

"Um...the important thing is you make an effort, we have to assert again, penicillin is a wonder drug but it doesn't fix everything." Marie cleared her throat, her words awkwardly stumbling slightly, which expressed how awkward she felt. Though Jamie was the opposite with the most passive expression on her face.

"Observe, how to save yourself from never using your penis again or losing it." Jamie spoke aloud, the older soldiers chuckling quietly while the younger ones grew even more embarrassed, for the most part. Peggy, however, felt her spirits rising with this talk, she and Nixon were quietly laughing while Winters rolled his eyes at their childishness. "I'm being one-hundred percent honest, do not risk it." She bluntly stated, Bill clapping his hands proudly. This didn't bother him in the slightest, but goddamn if he wasn't gonna be a proud papa about how smart she was.

"That's my girl. Smart girl. You should listen to her." Bill called out and Jamie smirked while Marie coughed to cover her laugh, Peggy and Nixon were forced to look away as they began laughing. Toye rolled his eyes at his friend's supportive enthusiasm, he very much took his brotherly role in place of Jackson seriously.

"You two are grown adults..." Winters shook his head with a sigh.

"Again, observe." Jamie continued, pushing the sheath over the length of a cucumber. "Voila, protection, use it or sexually transmitted diseases." She concluded and glanced at Marie, the said nurse quietly nodding. They'd both had to read over the lecture, though Marie knew it already given she'd given a few men a stern talking about it.

"A cucumber?" Skip's loud voice interrupted. "Oh, well, you know that's not nearly an accurate measure of size. Just ask Joe-" He began to heckle her, Jamie knowing exactly where this was going and throwing the covered cucumber into the audience at Skip who smacked it away with a cackle.

"You're an idiot." Jamie shot him a look.

"Jamie." Lipton's stern voice cut in, giving her a look.

"Ignore him, Skip can't find his head from his ass." Bull cupped his hands and called to the young woman who grinned for a moment.

"That's right, can't have an accurate measure if you can't find it." George teased Skip who laughed, they all knew you could tease Skip and it would never bug him.

"Anyway, I'm not your mothers, I'm not giving you a talk." Jamie calmly spoke up, crossing her arms and leaning on her left foot. "The good news is if she says it happened, she's lying for your sad benefit, but it's your chance to finally read a book and learn about sexually transmitted diseases." She bluntly stated without hesitation, Nixon and Peggy halting in their snickering in surprise while Winters and Lipton groaned at her childishness. How the hell did she convince Sink to let her do this?

"I-I don't think that's part of this talk," Peggy murmured stunned.

"How the hell does she even know that, Peggy? Didn't she say she's a virgin?" Nixon's brows raised in surprise while Winters sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"Jesus Christ." the red-haired man whispered into his hands.

"She reads, Nixon. More than most of these men." Peggy reminded him lowly and Nixon nodded with a hum, that was true. Just like Web, she was bound to be with her nose in a book.

"And how the hell would you even know all about that?" Joe finally piped up with a huge grin on his face,

"A good question, Private Liebgott. A good one to ask me, your corporal and medic." Jamie cleared her throat and raised her voice a little higher, a smirk beginning to slip onto her face. "I have good news for you though that answers your question, at least I know where to find it." She smirked and Marie's mouth dropped open at her friend's words, very inappropriate ones. Meanwhile, the majority of the men were laughing and 'oohing' at Joe's expense, but the man merely returned her smirk. Peggy and Nixon shared very amused looks before glancing at Winters and seeing the tired look on his face.

"I sure bet you do and you could show me." Joe flirted with a smirk, Peggy catching George's gaze as they shared equally amused and surprised looks.

"Yes, I could, I might take you up on that offer...but our feminine secrets are a good power to hold over those with the penis." Jamie clicked her tongue disappointed and shook her head, Marie's eyes flickering around to look away from her embarrassing friend, only for them to meet with Babe's which made both of them grow in embarrassment. Peggy facepalmed and sighed at her friends purposefully bringing dirty humor and sarcasm into this.

"Okay, okay, alright. Enough you two. Flirt in your own time. Wrap this up, JJ. We have a briefing." Lipton exclaimed, his voice raised to outmatch Jamie's and the woman smirked but nodded.

"Take this lesson to heart, boys." She concluded before stepping away with Marie who was gathering their materials, most of the men who knew her very well began laughing. Marie gave Peggy a quick hug and fled the tent after her personal awkwardness while Jamie went to sit down next to Bill and Toye, the dark-haired woman glancing over and catching Joe's gaze as he winked at her and Jamie smiled to herself but shook her head. Peggy looked over and made eye contact with her friend who wore a smug grin when looking at her, Peggy shook her head with an amused smile which made Jamie grin even more.

"Thank you, Corporal Jacobi and Nurse Valentine for covering this lecture on Colonel Sink's request in a...colorful and educational manner. Now it is time to discuss our upcoming operation." Winters cleared his throat, finally speaking up and getting from the mess Jamie made to the more important problem. The man began his discussion of the plans ahead of them. "As you can see...this is called Operation Market Garden." He stepped over to the map on a board and stand that was previously occupied by Jamie and Marie's board. "In terms of airborne divisions involved, this one's even bigger than Normandy. We're dropping deep into occupied Holland." Winters informed them all, Jamie crossing her arms and dropping the grin from her face as she listened intently. "The Allied objective is to take this road here, between Eindhoven and Arnhem, so, that two British armored divisions can move up it toward Arnhem. Our job is gonna be to liberate Eindhoven. Stay there, wait for the tanks." He concluded, glancing at Nixon and Peggy who stepped forward to give the information from their part of the job, who would be waiting for them. Which according to intelligence would be old men and young boys, that just didn't sound right to Peggy.

"The entire European advance has been put on hold to allocate resources for this operation. It's Montgomery's personal plan, we'll be under British command." Nixon informed them and the men groaned, making sarcastic remarks while Peggy ignored them and Jamie rolled her eyes at their complaining.

"The good news is if this works, these tanks will be over the Rhine and into Germany. It could end the war and get us home by Christmas." Peggy reveals and though a part of her wanted that to happen badly, she didn't expect that would be the case. The brunette exchanges a look with Jamie as some of the men murmur in approval, it didn't take a brain for Jamie to notice that Peggy didn't think it would happen like that. "It'll be a daytime jump. Intelligence doesn't expect much opposition. They think it'll mostly be kids and old men in Holland for us to go against." She cleared her throat and told them, but Peggy wondered if that intelligence would be correct.

"And we should take 'em by surprise," Nixon added, glancing at Peggy in the corner of his eyes and the woman looked at him, there was something in her eyes that doubted that. "In any case, say goodbye to England. I don't think they're gonna call this one off." He stated and everyone went silent, saying nothing they had to except what was going to happen and what was going to happen in Peggy's mind was that it was not going to be smooth sailing.

-8-

"I heard you had to give the boys the sexually transmitted disease lecture." the voice of Speirs interrupted Jamie's peaceful thoughts, all of them were prepping to board the planes soon to jump. The man was merely passing by to check on his friend before he headed over to Dog Company. Admittedly, Speirs hadn't gotten to spend time with Jamie or even just talk with her recently. He gave her space when she met with that doctor, though he laughed to himself when he heard she dragged Joe Liebgott along. Of course, she did. Either way, Winters and Welsh had been kind enough to keep him apprised of everything going on with her.

"I heard that you have to mind your own business, Ron." Jamie commented from where she stood alone nearby Miller, his friends, and some of the others, Peggy was somewhere with the officers getting ready. A grin appeared on Speirs's face and he chuckled, Jamie's gaze snapping to him. "Shut up." She grumbled with a roll of her eyes.

"You and uh...Liebgott seem close." Speirs hummed offhanded and she just glared at him. "How're your meetings with Dr. Zussman?" He asked curiously and Jamie took a deep breath.

"Good, there's progress, and it's not like I'm never gonna see him again. He'll be with the Expeditionary Force, along with Marie." Jamie replied while finishing up her bag to place on her back. "They'll be right behind us." She said and Speirs nodded with a hum, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"That's good," Speirs says pleased, glancing around and taking a breath. "I better get to my company, I'll see you later." He gives a short nod that she responds to, the man squeezing her shoulder before stepping back and walking away to head to Dog Company.

"Don't be stupid," Jamie called to him, Speirs snorting and sarcastically waving to her. The medic paused when she glanced over to see Miller fiddling with his gun, which Garcia noticed as well and stepped over to his friend confused.

"What are you doing?" He asked him.

"Cobb, look." Miller replied with a mutter, pointing to the said man which made both Garcia and Jamie turn their heads to look at Cobb. Jamie exhaled a quiet huff and rolled her eyes when Cobb pulled out a rifle from the bag, looking back at her own gear.

"Watch and learn, kids." Cobb spoke up when he noticed Miller and Garcia looking at him. "You wanna live?" He questioned, passing the rifle to another soldier next to him. "Jump ready to fight," Cobb announced as he began walking away but came to a halt near the female medic who was working away and double-checking she had everything. Miller and Garcia paused anxiously for a moment when they saw Jamie pause, clearly having felt the presence of someone nearby. Jamie slowly turned her head and looked directly at Cobb with no hesitation from her crouched position, right as Peggy was making her way over to the medic and overheard her next words.

"Would you stop looking at me like that?" Jamie said eerily calm and unaffected by his presence, zipping up her last bag and placing it on her back. "It's creepy and it makes me feel like you haven't been fed." She snarkily added, turning her nose up at him and Cobb scowled but refrained from saying anything and instead opted to walk away.

"Well, it's a good thing you don't care about being his friend because at this rate it's never going to happen," Peggy commented with a hint of sarcasm but Jamie just shrugged uncaringly. However, both women stopped and glanced over when Garcia pulled out his own rifle, which caught the attention of Bull who walked over with a cigar in his mouth and took the rifle from his hands. Though the honking of a horn interrupted whatever Bull was going to do or say, the two women and the taller red-haired man looked over in the direction of the honking. "What the fuck?" the lieutenant breathed stunned at the sight of Sobel in the jeep in front of the supply truck, Jamie took a deep breath and clenched her jaw at the sight. Everyone who was with easy since the beginning was staring in stunned, they thought they would never see that man again.

"Please, do not let him come over to us," Jamie grumbled under her breath, downcasting her eyes when the jeep and truck came to a halt nearby. Though she stopped and looked up surprised but pleased at the sight of Popeye. "Oh my god! It's Popeye! Bull, help me up!" She blabbered out much to Peggy's amusement. Bull shook his head and stepped over to the small woman, practically picking her up when he took her outreached hand.

"Welcome back, Popeye." Bull greeted his friend with a small smile.

"Thanks, Bull." Popeye smiled back when Jamie pushed her way past Bull with a smile. "JJ!" His smile widened at the sight of his friend, who saved his ass, literally.

"I didn't think we'd see you so soon." Jamie beamed, giving him a tight hug he was happy to receive.

"Well, I gotta come back and thank you for saving my ass." Popeye joked which made Peggy chuckle and Lipton looked amused, Jamie pulled away as Peggy stepped over to greet him. "Hey, Peggy." He nodded, Peggy bringing him in for a small hug. It was good to see the sweet Popeye again.

"Hello, Popeye." Peggy smiled, breaking the hug when the short medic spoke up.

"You probably can't sit on your ass, despite my impeccable work." Jamie guessed and Popeye laughed but nodded, Jamie pausing and eyeing her old friend. "So...why exactly aren't you in the hospital still?" She asked slowly and Peggy quirked a brow, Lipton looking at the two women.

"Popeye went AWOL just in time to jump," Lipton informed the three of them and Peggy gave him a look of disapproval.

"I don't condone, because it can get you in trouble, but it'll be Sink doing that paperwork," Peggy tells him, the last part of her words holding a joking tone to them. "Either way, I'm happy to see you." She gave him another smile to assure him.

"Me too, especially since I can tell everyone how I saved your ass." Jamie quipped with a grin which made Popeye and Lipton chuckle while Bull shook his head. However, the big burly man from Arkansas brought his gaze to look at Sobel and nodded at him.

"What's he doing here?"

Peggy sighed at the sight of their former captain while Jamie scooched herself to be blocked by Bull, she did not want to talk to him or face him. "Who, Sobel?" Lipton asked him, Peggy looking over at the man with her hands on her hips. "Well, he's the newly appointed regimental S-4." He answered Bull's question, watching Sobel order what to be unloaded.

"Supply officer?" Bull raised his brow, glancing at Peggy questioningly. Did she know all that?

"Yeah, you got it," Lipton confirmed with a nod.

"I knew all of that, I just didn't expect to see him today. I try to avoid him." Peggy replied with a small sigh.

"He picked me up in Aldbourne, trying to find you guys," Popeye revealed much to the surprise of Peggy and Jamie.

"Really?" Jamie exclaimed from behind Bull stunned, the older man shaking his head at her hiding behind him.

"Well, that's new for him." Peggy breathed, sharing a look with Bull.

"He know you went AWOL?" Bull questioned.

"He knows," Popeye tells them which they didn't expect to hear, Sobel was not that kind of man. Lipton puts his arm around Popeye's shoulder as they begin walking, Peggy walking next to Popeye while Bull turned and placed his hands on Jamie's shoulders, gently pushing her forward and forcing her to walk as he guides her. "He just said I was lucky, I could sit out this jump if I wanted. I said I didn't want to. So he says 'hop in'." He recounts his short story to the four of them, none of them thought they would ever hear about Sobel being alright with aiding a man who was AWOL.

"Hop in?" Bull says amused.

"Now I think I've heard almost everything." Peggy remarked with a small chuckle, Jamie making a 'huh' noise, she did not have that on her list to hear today.

"My brain might crash at that news," Jamie murmured and Bull snorted.

"Yeah, I know, I couldn't believe it either." Popeye agreed before jokingly looking at his friend. "Hey, maybe he's gonna court-martial me later, huh?" He joked with Lipton who was smiling widely.

"Let's get you some gear." Lipton tapped the back of his head with his palm lightly, Peggy took a deep breath and turned to look at Bull who was still smiling, Jamie standing in front of him.

"I've got the child, Bull. Don't worry. Go take care of your boys." Peggy assured the man who nodded.

"Be ready, kid." Bull ruffled her hair jokingly and Jamie huffed, slapping his hand away.

"I am." Jamie countered, Peggy walked over and put her arm around her friend's shoulder, leading her away when Sobel walked their way. Peggy attempted to lead them away, however, Sobel reached her and Jamie before they could get away. "Captain Sobel." the medic half-heartedly saluted him and Sobel acknowledged her with a nod. It was probably best he didn't say anything to her.

"Lieutenant Valentine, I know it is late, but congratulations on your promotion and congratulations to your father. I hear he's gone up." Sobel greeted the woman respectfully, Peggy making no visceral reaction, though she was irritated at him mentioning her father. She'd kept that to herself on purpose, it was just between her, her father, and Marie.

"Thank you, Captain Sobel." Peggy bobbed her head respectfully.

"Good luck out there, both of you." Sobel says, giving another nod as Jamie keeps quiet and Peggy salutes him. Sobel exhales before turning and walking away from the two women.

"I still hate him." Jamie blurted after he was gone, Peggy humming in agreement when the sounds of the plane engines started up.

"Come on, let's go." Peggy shakes her head, leading her away and towards the rest when Jamie snorted.

"Sobel was just civil to us, to me." Jamie remarked in realization, the two women exchanging a look before they began quietly laughing as they walked over to the rest of them. Jamie would definitely write Jackson about this, about how the fantastic Captain Sobel was civil to them after everything he said. Though the jump that soon occur was more important and they liked to triple-check their gear. Peggy was expecting this jump to be easy, to be much much smoother than D-Day, but that didn't mean what was going to be after it would be just as simple.

[A/N: here is the update you have all been waiting for, I am so sorry. I have been busy with A LOT, I just graduated college and now I'm looking around for jobs and shit. but here is more of our darling jamie and peggy, i just had to give jamie her moment to shine with her dirty humor that has peeked through slightly. and peggy, i wanted to do something related to her old company because while they aren't discussed often by her on purpose, there was an unresolved matter regarding that company. anyway, i hope you all enjoy, there won't be a huge year-plus-long gap between updates, don't worry.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.6K 4.1K 126
Charlie Lancaster leaves home knowing only that she wants to help. There's a war on across the ocean, and boys her age are fighting and dying for the...
The Way Back By Leah

Historical Fiction

22.2K 592 29
The Way Back ~ Band of Brothers A young woman who struggles with her past, finding herself clouded in darkness, wishing someone would pull her out...
44K 863 19
Summary: Melissa Felton just wanted a peaceful weekend with her boyfriend- Nick, brother-Wade and their friends. When Mel and Wade are forced to go i...
480K 12.2K 134
charlotte tarvers is only 14 when the war breaks out, but 17 when she signs up. she's heard the stories from her parents, lovers who found each other...