After the Twilight (Iska Seri...

By lilananasxox

She wanted to experience what life can offer, and he became the best experience of all. More

Prologue
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

20

973 36 58
By lilananasxox

"Are you okay?" Enzo inches closer to me, squeezing my hands tighter as he bores his gaze into my eyes. Halos parang nagmamakaawa na siya habang tinititigan ako, his eyes carry so much pleading, surfacing beyond the intensity of it all. "Please baby," he says through almost a whisper, "say something. Tell me what you need."

Namangha ako sa kung papaanong napakaraming emosyon ang kayang bitbitin ng mga mata niya. They were always dark and intense---like there were always dark shadows looming around his bright hazel orbs, and yet at the same time they can look calm and steady, and right now---vulnerable.

He's looking at me like I'm both a dream and a nightmare.

Hindi ko masyadong matantsiya kung anong klaseng emosyon ba ang ang nananaig sa kanya ngayon. Kung galit ba ito dahil sa lakas ng natural na intensidad ng mga mata niya, o pag-aalala dahil sa kung papaano niya ako titigan na tila bang maglalaho na lang ako na parang bula.

However, unlike the many moments that I have allowed myself to analyze the conundrum that he is, hindi ko mahayaan ang sarili na titigan lang siya ngayon at intindihin kung ano ba ang ibig sabihin ng lahat. The only thing in my head right now is that he is here, in the most unconventional of situations, he is here. When I am in the depths of my loneliness, he is here.

At the moment when I have felt the most alone, he is here—holding my hand, ridding the coldness from the tip of my fingers and blanketing them with the warmth of his.

I want to say something, but I don't know what. When I opened my mouth, a sob escapes, and I could no longer help but just fall into him.

Automatically, he wraps his arms around me, catching me, adjusting his body so he's cradling me as my cries fill the silence between us. He catered to me so smoothly, like a well-choreographed dance.

It's like he just knows what to do.

Hinigpitan niya ang hawak sa akin, holding me tight as if I was going to disappear. Mahigpit rin ang hawak ko sa damit niya---I grip his shirt tight as I bawl against his neck. But my cries are different. Kung kanina ay puno ng hinagpis at kalungkutan ang mga iyak ko, this time it is of relief. Relief, because for so long I didn't feel alone, na parang sa kabila ng lahat ng kadiliman na nagtangkang ubusin ako ay may liwanag na pilit akong binibigyang daan para maka-ahon. 

I can't stop my tears because I feel seen. And there is this warmth, along with the very presence of him, that dawns over me that is both overwhelming and comforting altogether.

I was found when I didn't even know I needed to be.

He found me when I didn't even know I was lost. 

"It's okay," he whispers as he holds the back of my head ever so gently, "you're okay. You got me," he continues, softly rubbing the tips of his fingers against my scalp. 

I don't know how long we stayed that way, or how he managed to get me up, but I find myself curled up on the front seat of his car. My head is leaning against the window as I stare at the road that has been changing colors with the city lights. 

I turn to him slightly. Tahimik at seryoso siyang nakatanaw sa daan, ang isang kamay sa manibela, ang isa nakahawak sa gearstick. Ang imahe niya ang huli kong alaala bago ako dalawin ng antok, at hindi ko namalayang nakatulog na pala ako. 

When I wake up, I feel the slowness of the car. Agad kong natanaw ang dagat ng maidilat ko ang aking mga mata. It is dark outside, but I am sure of the sight of the ocean by the road we're traveling on. 

"You're awake." 

I turn to Enzo at the sound of his voice. He smiles at me, reaching out to run a hand over my head before he returns his attention to the road and speeds up the car. I wonder how long we've been driving. Siguro malayo-layo na rin kami dahil nasa may dagat na kami. 

He drives up to a massive gate, stopping when a security guard approaches us. 

"Sir!" bati ng guard. "Ikaw po pala talaga 'yan! Akala ko po iba eh, kanina pa kayo pa ikot-ikot." 

Enzo only replies with a chuckle and proceeds to greet the guard. Matapos ang mabilis na kamustahan, nagpatuloy siya sa pagdadrive hanggang sa nasa harapan na kami ng malaking bahay. It is not as big as their mansion back in Manila, but it was still huge. Mula sa bahay, tanaw na tanaw ang dagat, the cool breeze blowing against my hair as soon as I got out of the car. 

"This is my family's beach house," he starts, ushering me through the door. 

Pagkapasok ko, kapansin pansin ang kalawakan ng lugar. The house had an open floor plan, malapad at maliwanag dahil sa puro puting pintura nito. The wooden accents fit in well with the vibe of the entire house. Siguro napaka aliwalas nito kapag umaga. 

The wide glass door leading to the beachside catches my attention, especially as Enzo slides one open, sending the white floor-to-ceiling curtains dancing with the wind. 

"Do you want water?" Enzo offers, walking towards the kitchen. I follow him, looking around. Simple lang naman ang dating ng bahay, pero it is evident that everything is expensive. 

"Here," he slides a glass of water against the countertop, smiling at me. 

Para akong nasa ulap habang tinutungo siya. There's this tension in the air, na parang ako lang yata ang nakakaramdam. Dinig na dinig ko ang simoy ng hangin at ang hampas ng mga alon sa buhangin, pero parang pakiramdam ko ang tahitahimik. 

Kung may nag-iingay man, iyon ay ang utak ko. Ang daming katanungan na nagraragasa sa isip ko, ang daming emosyon. 

"There are two floors, but the second floor is currently under renovation. We have rooms on this floor, you can use one of them. There's a bathroom at the end of the hall. Are you hungry? I can cook dinner."

Enzo's words barely register as I try to come into terms with all the whys and the hows in my head. Naguguluhan ako na nagagalit na hindi ko naiintindihan kung saan ako lulugar sa kung ano mang bahagi ng lahat ng ito. 

Enzo was probably in the middle of talking about pasta or something when I turn around sharply, facing him. I notice the way he stops talking and just watches me. Nahuli ko ang gulat niya, at kaakibat nito ay kaba. I didn't think the man ever got nervous in his life, his authoritative confidence seems too innate. But here he is, staring at me, with this air of weary anticipation. Kitang kita ko pa kung paano tumaas baba ang Adam's apple niya. 

"Why?" I breathe out. I have so many whys for him, and I guess I would never get them answered if I don't actually ask them. 

"Why what?" 

"Why are you here?" I take a step forward, staring straight at him. "Why are you so nice to me? Why are you still so nice to me? Why did you follow me here? Why did you bring me here? Why---ano ba 'to, Enzo? What is this that you're doing? Diba tinapos na natin ito? This game? It's just a game, isn't it?" I force out the breathy chuckle lodged in my throat. "Laro laro lang naman ito diba? Pero bakit parang naguguluhan lang ako? It was clear from the start!"

"Game?" This time, it's him who takes a step forward, and unlike him who seemed unfazed, I couldn't help but take a step back. 

"It's still just a game for you, huh?" I catch the bitterness in the way he speaks, and it only adds to my confusion, kaya naman mas lalo lang napakunot ang noo ko. 

"Is it not?" I manage to fire back. "And I already put a stop to it, right? So what is this? Why are you still here? Holding me, making me feel like I matter, kissing me, calling me fucking baby?! Why do you care? Bakit ba palagi kang nandiyan? Kung ang mga magulang ko nga ay kayang kayang talikuran ako, if they can leave me alone, why the hell can't you?"

I feel my mouth shut when he storms towards me with powerful strides, and I don't notice that I'm taking steps back until my back hits the counter. I gasp lightly when he stops just barely a meter away from me, and he continues to inch further until there's barely an inch left. I feel goosebumps when he extends his arms and pins them on the counter, trapping me in between. 

I can feel the way my heart is hammering against my chest, at nakuha ko pang isipin kung baka naririnig niya ito. 

"You don't get it, do you?" he says, hazel eyes directly bored into mine. 

"What?" I said in almost a whisper. 

"I can't leave you alone," his voice, low and dark, roll off his tongue like honey. It's not helping that he's staring at me with so much intensity, parang kaunti nalang ay matutunaw na ako.

"Why not?" my voice is small. He pauses for a second and just looks at me, orb to orb. Sa sobrang lakas ng pintig ng puso ko ay parang mahihimatay na ako. Lalo pa at amoy na amoy ko ang pabango niyang parang nilalasing ako. 

"Hasn't it occurred in that pretty little head of yours that maybe it's because I love you?"

My heart stopped beating for a second. And when it beat again, it hammered harder than ever before. I continue to match his intense stare as I swallow a lump in my throat. It seems harder to breathe now, and the thoughts in my brain only become more complex. 

Mas lalo ko yatang hindi naiintindihan ang lahat. Parang tambol ang dibdib ko ngayon, ang mga balahibo ko nagtatayuan. He loves me? Mahal niya ako? Kailan pa? Why? Para akong mababaliw sa dami ng emosyon na naghahabulan sa isipan ko. My thoughts do the same, piling over the other. 

Parang kanina lang, nagmamakaawa akong mahalin ako, and here he is, freely telling me that he loves me. 

How is it na parang ang dali dali niyang sabihin sa akin na mahal niya ako? Is it true? Does he really love me the way love is described? The way it is supposed to be? 

I can't help but question it because. . . . what is love anyway? Surely, I never felt it the right way with my parents. It always seemed so hard for them to love me. 

Kaya bakit parang ang dali lang para kay Enzo?

Mas lalong lumakas ang tibok ng puso ko when his gaze drops down to my lips. I couldn't stop the small gasp that escapes from my lips. And when he returns his eyes to mine, my knees go weaker than they already are. 

There's this thing in the way  that he is looking at me right now, na parang nakakatunaw, na para bang biglang may mainit na yumakap sa puso ko, calming it down. I feel hypnotized by the way he is boring his eyes into me. Behind the dark intensity that radiates from it, there is so much sincerity in it, laced with the liquid gold of his irises. 

And when his eyes fall down to my lips, a small breath falters out of me. 

Hindi ko namalayang hinahawakan ko na pala ang damit niya as he inches impossibly closer, gripping the fabric of his shirt tight. Halos mapapikit na rin ang mata ko nang papalapit na siya ng papalapit. And just when the tip of his nose brushes against mine, I snap out of the daze of him. 

I need to think!

A small gasp escapes from me as I press my hand flat against his chest. I didn't push him, but he stopped. It was all he needed to come to a halt. 

My breath falters in and out of me as I look up at him. 

"Common bathroom's at the end of the hall, right?" I say, my voice is shaky.

He lets out a small sigh, nodding his head, as I slip under the barricade of his arm. Para akong tanga habang hinay hinay na lumalayo sa kanya---on my tiptoes as I back away. A few steps out, I turn around and make a dash toward the bathroom, sprinting at full speed. 

I almost slam the door behind me as I shut it close, leaning my back against it as I let out a breath. Kanina pa ako hindi makahinga ng maayos! 

The bathroom is massive! Malawak rin at maliwanag dahil sa putting tiles at pintura. It provides me with a momentary sanctuary as I try to gather my thoughts. Nanginginig pa rin ang mga kamay as I walk towards the sink. Looking at myself in the mirror, kitang kita ko kung paano pa namumugto ang mga mata ko, my hair slightly disheveled. I grip the sides of the sink and let out a deep breath, my reflection staring back at me with a mix of confusion and contemplation.

"He loves me," I mutter softly. 

Hindi ko alam kung bakit parang ang hirap paniwalaan. I shut my eyes tight, shaking my head. 

I decided to sink to the floor, my back against the wall as I continue to think. Whenever I close my eyes, the events of today replay in my head, but Enzo's confession overpowers everything.

Kinuha ko ang maliit kong bag, fishing my phone out. Halos buong araw din itong nakapatay. When I turned it back on, sunod sunod na pumasok ang mga notifications mula sa mga taong kakilala ko. Halos mag-iisang daan ang mga missed calls at messages, collectively from my friends. May tatlo na mula kay Kuya Joaquin, isa mula kay nanay Libet. 

Nanlaki ang mata ko ng makita ang 32 missed calls mula kay Enzo, at halos kasing dami rin ang mga texts. 

Bumabaha rin ang mga messages sa groupchat naming magkakaibigan. I decided to just type in a short message, para hindi na sila masyadong mag-alala. 

Hi. Sorry, something just came up. I had to go somewhere. I'm okay, I promise. I'll fill you in with the details when I get back. 

Papatayin ko na sana muli ang phone nang tumawag si Demi. I stared at the caller ID for a second, hesitating if I should answer it or not. In the end, I answer it. 

"Hi. I'm ok---"

"Oh my gosh! Celeste! Where are you?! Are you okay? Are you hurt? Nasaan ka? Susunduin ka namin. Are you in trouble? Is---"

"Demi, I'm fine," I tell her, a small chuckle escaping. 

I hear the sigh of relief that she releases over the phone. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I smile, even though she can't see it. "I'm sorry I made all of you worry."

"Buti nalang tumawag ka. Magrereport na sana kami sa pulis," she says, and I just find myself smiling once more. It's nice, though it's mean to extract it this way, to see how much my people happen to actually care for me too. 

"I'm fine, really. Huwag na kayong mag-alala." 

"That's good," she says. I can sense the relief in her voice. 

"Oh by the way!" biglang tumaas ang boses niya, "have you also texted Enzo? He was worried!" 

I wanted to tell her that he already found me, but she kept going, I couldn't butt in. 

"Jusko ka, Celeste ha! Your boyfriend was worried sick! Akala ko talaga iiyak na siya sa harap namin when we all realized that you just suddenly disappeared! Just so you know noh, Lorenzo is a man of connections, but he never recognizes that privilege. But today, when he found out that you were missing, believe me when I say na halos pinabaliktad niya ang buong Manila! He was in contact with his uncle who was the highest-ranking official of the damn army. Girl, wala nang mas hahaba pa sa buhok mo!"

My eyes grow wide at the revelation. The army! What the hell?

However, though shocked, I felt this wave of guilt. I had made my friends worry, I made Enzo worry. I can't imagine what he went through, given now that I know what he truly feels about me, he must have felt awful! Tapos, iniwan ko pa siya sa labas. 

"Alam mo, you should call him. Do you want me to call him ba? May problems ba kayo?"

I shake my head. "No, it's okay. Uhm, kasama ko na siya ngayon. He's good."

"Aba naman, ang bilis naman pala ni sir," I bite my lip as I hear her laugh from the other end. "Kidding aside," she continues, "that's good. It's good that he's found you. I'm just glad that you're alright." 

Ngumiti ako muli. I bite the inside of my cheek as I let out a sigh, leaning my head against the cold wall. Para akong natutulala muli, getting lost in my thoughts that I almost forget that I still have Demi on the phone. 

"Ces? Andiyan ka pa ba?"

I get pulled back into reality. 

"Yes," I breathe out, "I'm here."

"May problema ba? I mean, alam kong mayroon, I won't pry it from you, but maybe you can tell me a piece of what's on your mind. Yung kaya mo lang i-share."

I hear the concern in her voice, and I contemplate kung ano nga ba ang ikukwento ko. Hindi naman ako masyadong makwento sa mga problema ko sa bahay. Pakiramdam ko kasi, there are problems far worse than a girl whose parents don't love her. Lalo na at may mga sarilling mabibigat na problema ang mga kaibigan ko, ayaw ko nang dumagdag pa. Mas lalo pa dahil ako palagi ang tinatakbuhan nila. 

And at this moment, I don't think I'm ready to reopen the wounds created at home. 

I let out another sigh, sinundan ng mahinahong tawa. 

"Enzo loves me," I mutter. 

There is silence for a split second. I guess she had to process what I said, I was still processing as well. 

"Of course he loves you," si Demi. "You're his girlfriend. And seeing how distraught he was kanina, he loves you a lot. That, I can vouch. Bakit ba? May problema ba kayo?" 

I shake my head kahit hindi niya nakikita. "Wala," I say, "wala naman. I mean, wala na. . . yata. It's just, I'm just saying that he loves me. I know that now. And I wonder if I am capable of loving back. Or loving in general."

Natawa nalang ako sa mga pinagsasabi ko. It makes no sense. 

"I mean what do I know about love? Marunong ba ako? You know what, it's a stupid thought. Don't mind it."

 There is another session of silence from Demi. It was too long that I had to ask her if she was still on the call. 

"Yes," she breathes out, "I was just taken aback a little," she chuckles. "I just realized how much you really don't open up much about these kinds of stuff na nagulat ako when you actually did. I'm glad you did." 

I hear her let out another breath. 

"Nakakalungkot that you had to ask that question when out of everyone else, you love the most."

Nagulat ako sa sinabi ng kaibigan. 

"Inuuna mo palagi ang ibang tao kaysa sa sarili mo, you do it so much that, you, indirectly seeking for advice catches me off guard. When I had a problem, ramdam ko may dinadala ka rin noon, pero kahit kailan hindi mo ako iniwan. That trait of yours alone is a manifestation of great love. You love greatly, if you ask me."

Wala na akong ibang masabi sa kaibigan kundi "Thank you." I always feared loving, because I don't think I have been loved enough to actually know how to love properly. My parents weren't exactly the best examples, so I didn't have a clear picture of what love is growing up.

However, despite all of that, without even noticing it, I apparently have the ability to love greatly.

I wonder if that sort of thing actually happens.

To love greatly, without having knowledge of it. Could a person's capability of loving be innate?

But I guess the question doesn't mainly lie in my ability to love. I guess, it is if I love him too.

Do I? Do I also love Enzo?

Love... Can it really happen like this? Could I have fallen for Enzo without even realizing it?

But I don't think, I haven't known. I've been denying it since the moment he made my heart beat a different rhythm. When I realized that my laughter sounds genuinely happy only when he is who I am laughing with.

I fell in love with him. I knew that. And it scared me. Because the feelings were so foreign, that it was so overwhelming. And it scared me because I wasn't sure what it meant to love.

I've only known him for a few months, but he had already been an anchor I keep clinging to.

His presence feels like the sunshine that peeks out from the clouds after a brief summer rain---warm, comforting, and fresh.

And his heart, although his exterior can be domineering, his heart is kind and pure, and it makes my own beat in a more hopeful melody.

But is that enough? Can I risk everything for the unknown? What if it doesn't work out? Will I lose him forever?

I shut my eyes and press my palms against my face, my heart pounding with a mix of trepidation and longing. Images of Enzo flash through my mind, our laughter echoing in my ears, our shared moments etched into my memory.

It plagues my mind even in the shower.

I am once again overwhelmed by the surge of emotions, and I find myself caught between the comfort of familiarity and the uncertainty of taking a leap into the unknown. My hands tremble as I try to dry my hair with the fresh towel I retrieved from one of the drawers.

I decided to take a bath while I'm already in here. There was a pile of clean white shirts on the countertop, as well as soap and shampoo. Hula ko pinaprepare na ni Enzo ito noong papunta palang kami.

I don't think he would mind if I used one of the shirts. Mahal niya ako, diba?

I sigh as I look at myself in the mirror, the huge shirt reaching a few inches above my knees.

What if I open myself up to love and it changes everything?

I take a deep breath in an attempt to calm my racing thoughts.

In the stillness of the bathroom, a flicker of courage ignites within me.

Love is worth the risk, isn't it? Enzo deserves to know how I truly feel. And I owe it to myself to explore these emotions, to see if they hold promise.

However, my newfound courage quickly dissolves.

Paano ko naman sasabihin sa kanya eh iniwan ko na siya doon!

"Anong sasabihin ko? Enzo, take two, sasagot ako ng I love you too," I say to myself in front of the mirror.

I can only grunt, pressing my palm against my forehead.

"Ang corny naman eh," I grumble.

"Celeste?"

My heart skips a beat when Enzo knocks on the door. I don't answer him, but I only stare at the door, wide-eyed. Parang kinakabahan ako na buksan niya ito kahit alam ko naman na nilock ko ito. 

"I prepared the room right across," he says, "and I also made dinner. I'll wait for you."

I bite the inside of my cheeks, contemplating if I should answer him. 

"Hmm," I managed to mutter, "thanks."

Nagtagal pa ako sa loob ng banyo, kinakausap na ang sarili. I was trying to devise a strategy, na kung papaano ko ba haharapin si Enzo kapag lumabas na ako.

"By the way, I lo---ay jusko," I grunt, cringing at my own reflection.

Running my fingers through my hair,  I release a deep breath, my chest heaving up and down. Bahala na! I gather my things into my arms, at diretsong tumungo sa pintuan.

I press my ear against the door first, trying to listen if he was near or not. Nang wala naman akong marinig, I turn the knob.

The moment the door creaked open, there was no more backing down. I took slow steps out, holding my things against my chest. The smell of something so savory fill my nostrils the moment I am out.

Hindi ko mapigilang mapatingin sa direksyon ng kusina, and across the hall, on the other side, is the dining table kung saan naghahain si Enzo.

Already in a new set of clothes, he is setting the table. I can't help but stare. He looks so domesticated, laying cutlery on the table.

May hawak hawak pa siyang mga kutsara nang napalingon ito sa akin,  making me look away sharply. Nang makita ko ang bukas na pintuan ng kwarto sa harap ko, agad ko itong tinakbo, shutting it close.

"My gosh, parang tanga," I mentally note to myself, pressing my forehead against the door.

The room is big as I turn around, may malaking kama sa gitna. May indoor slippers na naka prepare sa may paanan nito, kaya sinuot ko naman. I notice that it also had a bathroom.

I set my things on the desk, catching a glimpse of myself on the full-length mirror.

Bumuntong hininga ako, trying to gather some courage. Hindi naman pwede na magkulong ako dito habang buhay. I had to face Enzo sooner or later.

I have faced the most terrors of professors and left them impressed, so facing Enzo shouldn't be a problem.

Sino ba siya?

I bite my bottom lip as I turn the knob to open the door. Slowly, I peek out, turning to the direction of the dining table.

I quickly saw Enzo, sitting on the table, kaharap ng pagkain. Nakaupo lang siya, tinititigan ang niluto, his arms crossed over his chest.

When I finally muster the courage to go out, saka naman ako na out of balance. Muntik na akong madapa!

The commotion made Enzo turn to me, seeing me in the most unusual position---in between the momentum of standing up and falling. It was at this very moment na gusto ko nalang lamunin ako ng lupa.

I scramble to my feet, and instead of going forward to him, tumakbo nalang ako pabalik sa kwarto, shutting it close.

"Celeste naman eh," I grunt, slowly, and very dramatically, hitting my forehead against the door.

Bakit ba parang ang hirap? All I need to do is go out there and get this over with! Bakit ako nahihiya?!

"Ito na, ito na, ito na talaga," I mutter as I turn the knob again. I take in a huge breath, at kasabay nito ay binuksan ko ng malakas ang pintuan.

I was determined to storm out, but as I open the door, a gasp escapes me when I see Enzo standing right in front me.

On cue, my heart immediately picks up the pace. It is so hard to breathe again, his presence taking all the air out of me.

He is standing in front of me, arms crossed, staring directly into me, with his brow slightly raised. For a split second, I see him run his eyes over my entire body bago ito bumalik at nag pirmi sa mga mata ko.

"You're avoiding me," he says as-a-matter-of-factly.

"I'm not," agad kong sinabi, my voice sounded rushed and guilty.

He raises his brow more, pursing his lips as he nods his head slowly.

"Okay then," he says. He grabs the door and opens it wider, dahilan para mabitawan ko ang doorknob. He stares at me intently as he makes his way in, squeezing in front of me.

His scent, that of fresh mint and musk, fill my lungs, at muntikan na akong bumigay dahil doon.

"Since you're not avoiding me, let's talk."

He sits on the edge of the bed, crossing his arms again, looking at me seriously.

I swallow a lump in my throat, biting my bottom lip as I turn to close the door, finding  reason not to look at his hypnotizing eyes.

When I turn to look at him again, kahit sa pinaka simpleng ayos niya in a white shirt and gray shorts, he still looks so breathtaking! And even in his own territory, he looks so misplaced. I wonder where he would look like he belonged the best.

"Ano naman ang pag-uusapan natin? I don't think there's anything we should talk about," I bite my bottom lip to stop it from quivering. Hindi ko alam kung bakit kinakabahan ako.

Pinagtaasan niya muli ako ng kilay before he slightly squints his eyes, almost like he's looking at me with scrutiny.

"Really? I just told you that I'm in love with you," he says so boldly.

I start to panic again, and I guess he noticed the small change in my demeanor because the way he looks at me changes.

He's looking at me softly now, his eyes looking so gentle.

When I look down and run my hand over my arm, I hear him sigh.

"It's okay," he says, "You don't have to give me an answer right now. I'm just saying, so that you'd know, that I love you."

Akma na sana siyang tatayo, but I let out a sharp breath and turn to him, making him sit back down. I can see the surprise in his face.

Para akong bata, stomping my feet as I pace the room, my hands in balled fists. Hindi ko na mapigilan ang frustration ko, because I couldn't come into terms with my emotions, and I can't seem to find a way to express them.

"Kasi naman," I mutter, my voice a little higher. I glance at Enzo, and I see the small smile on his lips, looking at me with amusement.

I huff out a breath, standing in front him. "I-I don't know," I spit out.

Enzo tilts his head, looking at me closer, "You don't know what? Huh?"

"I-I don't know how to say it, t-that I-I--"

"You don't know how to say what? That you don't love me? Or that you love me too?  Dalawang daan lang 'to Celeste, choose which one to take."

I furrow my brows as I look at him.

"Kasi naman! Why are you pressuring me?"

Nanlaki ang mata niya, almost defensive. "I'm not pressuring you. I just told you na hindi ko kailangan ng agarang sagot. But now that we have it out in the open, put yourself in my shoes, babe. I just told you I'm in love with you, and you walk away," a small breathy chuckle escapes him, and I can feel my knees from that alone, "I'm losing my mind here."

I stare at him, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

"What if I choose the former?" seryoso kaming nagtitigan.

"It's okay. But I'll try all that I've got to make you love me too," walang pag aalinlangan niyang sagot, seryoso, confident.

I stare at him too, maybe mildly in awe. My brows furrow further, because I have the answer on the tip of my tongue and I can't seem to say it. Mas lalo lang tuloy ako nainis sa sarili ko dahil bakit ang hirap para sa akin, and maybe at Enzo because he's making me feel other things that I can't explain with the way he's looking at me.

And it's not helping that he has a ghost of a smile right now.

"Eh kasi naman!" I stomp my feet, "Alangan naman sabihin kong I love you too?!" sigaw ko.

"Why not?" kalmado niyang sagot.

"Because!" sigaw ko ulit.

"Bakit? Hindi mo ba ako mahal?" may panunuya sa boses niya, pero seryoso pa rin.

"Mahal!"

*************

Hello! Sorry it took a while. But hey! I'm graduating in a few days.

I hope you're still enjoying the story. I'd love to hear your thoughts ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 20.6K 32
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
37.9K 1.5K 53
A love letter, a confession, and a blossoming heart. I got nothing to lose, only my heart to break.
63.4K 52 41
R18
233K 4.2K 87
Apat na taon ng kasal si Shu sa isang lalaking ni minsan ay hindi pa niya nakikita o narinig manlang ang boses. Palibhasa ay hindi naman siya dapat a...