His challenge #3

By dark_light233

Lexi is broken. And what does that mean? It means that she needs someone to heal her heart. Put the pieces ba... More

Before we start...
Aesthetics
Chapter 1: Stranger in Portland
Chapter 2: Cookies
Chapter 3: Joey's Bistro
Chapter 5: Lunch
Chapter 6: Bus stop
Chapter 7: Bruises
Chapter 8: Bar
Chapter 9: Another day
Chapter 10: Advice
Chapter 11: (Un)locked door
Chapter 12: Questions
Chapter 13: Dangerous night
Chapter 14: A house but not a home
Chapter 15: Smile
Chapter 16: Hospital
Chapter 17: Gifts
Chapter 18: A glass
Chapter 19: A crossed line
Chapter 20: Protection
Chapter 21: Finn and mafia
Chapter 22: Examination
Chapter 23: Ointment
Chapter 24: Brother
Chapter 25: Past
Chapter 26: Busy morning
Chapter 27: Night
Chapter 28: Arguments
Chapter 29: Money
Chapter 30: Pancakes
Chapter 31: Feelings
Chapter 32: Tent
Chapter 33: Lake
Chapter 34: Breakfast
Author's note
Chapter 35: Us
Chapter 36: Relationships
Chapter 37: Truth or dare
Chapter 38: "We're celebrating!"
Chapter 39: Parents
Chapter 40: Date
Chapter 41: "Argument"
Chapter 42: Dinner
Chapter 43: Friends
Chapter 44: MoodπŸ”₯
Chapter 45: Late night visit
Chapter 46: Funeral
Chapter 47: Decisions
Chapter 48: Love hurts
Chapter 49: Angel?
Chapter 50: Talks
Chapter 51: Fight
Chapter 52: Water
Chapter 53: Love
Chapter 54: Not okay but getting there
Chapter 55: Cookie girl
Chapter 56: Weirdo
Chapter 57: Family
Chapter 58: Happiness

Chapter 4: Hockey

496 17 7
By dark_light233

I couldn't get that waitress out of my head.

I tried so hard to forget her face. Her eyes. Her sweet voice.

That's how it should be. Mainly because she has a boyfriend.

A boyfriend who looked like he could destroy me with one blow.

While I was walking back to the apartment, I was pulled out of my thoughts by the ringing of my cell phone. It's one thing to ignore messages from brothers, but when your little sister calls? You pick up.

"Red or blue?" It came from the other side before I could even say hello.

"Ummm." I thought about my answer and then remembered the blue head that lives next to me. "Red. One hundred percent red." I continued on my way. "Everything okay Val?"

"Yeah, Ryan and I are going out with some of his friends and I needed a dress. But I feel like blue would be better. Less bold. Yeah, I'll take blue, no offense." I heard in the background how she walked over somewhere.

"Really?" I couldn't help but smile. "Is that why you're calling me?"

"Sure. I also wanted to see how my little brother is doing in the world. How is Portland?"

"Strange." I frowned. "Mostly people."

"Oh, so have you met anyone yet? Any friends?"

I really didn't want to disappoint her so I did what I do best. I lied. "Yeah, a guy lives across the hall from me. We watch hockey together." I turned to the building where my apartment is located and unlocked the door. I entered the elevator and pressed the top floor.

"Hockey? You hate hockey."

"Trying new things. New city, new me." I shrugged and walked out of the elevator.

"Oh so since you're such friends, would you mind giving me his number?" Shit.

"Um, Val, I don't know if it's..." As if on purpose, Zack and his blue head came out of the door.

"Please, I want to make sure of something."

I looked at Zack who was looking at me confused. Fuck it.

"Give me a second," I said walking up to Zack which obviously surprised him. "I need a favor."

"I thought you didn't need help." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Remember? Then you almost hit me with the door. This face." He pointed at his face in a circular motion.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? Bad mood. Now please." I handed him my cell phone.

"What? Pissed-off girlfriend?" He nodded his head at my phone.

"Sister."

He hesitated, looking between the phone and my face. "You owe me." He pointed his finger at me and took the phone from my hand. "Zack on the phone, how can I help you?" He said with humor.

Someone kill me.

"Yes of course." He laughed. "Oh yeah, the hockey was awesome." He nodded. "No, he's quite okay." He leaned his shoulder against the frame of his door. "Of course, I can do that. With pleasure." He smiled and then I regretted giving him my phone. "I'll make sure of that...Me too Valentina. Take care." He laughed and handed me back the phone.

"Val? Are you there?" I lowered my gaze to the ground.

"I like him, hold on to him." Sure. "I have to go but we'll call later. Take care, Finn."

"You too, Val. Later."

"Love you." She blew me a kiss and hung up.

I looked up from my phone to Zack, who was grinning from ear to ear. Oh no.

"You owe me a favor." He grinned.

"Yes." I breathed heavily. Why did I do that? "So what do you want?"

"I'd say I want you to be nice, but I don't think you're capable of it, so..." He thought. "I have it." He pushed himself away from the door frame. "We'll go out together tomorrow."

Oh fuck.

"Not a date, don't worry." He patted my shoulder. "I'm not into straight guys. I have to go but I'll see you tomorrow, Finn."

Amazing, Val told him my name.

"I'll knock on your door!" He shouted after me as he got into the elevator.

What did I get myself into?

I hate getting up.

No, sorry, let me correct myself.

I hate waking up to an alarm clock.

A loud noise always wakes me up and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every morning.

I put on white shorts, a big green T-shirt with long sleeves and little sunflowers in the middle, and put my hair in a high bun before going downstairs.

Dad was still asleep on the couch, so I left him there.

I went to the kitchen, close to the refrigerator, and opened it.

Empty.

I lowered my head to the ground with a heavy exhale and closed it back.

I will have to go shopping later.

I went to the bread box, where the last two pieces of toasted bread were. I took it out and threw it into the toaster next to it.

I turned on the coffee machine and put a white mug there.

Before long, ready-made toasted bread popped out of the toaster. I took it out on a plate and spread out butter and strawberry jam on it.

When the coffee was ready, I took it out and put it next to my plate.

I lifted the toast to my mouth and right then I heard a loud snoring. I turned my head to my father on the couch and closed my eyes tightly before putting the toast back down.

I took the plate and glass into the living room and placed both on the table in front of him.

I know it's not a good idea to wake him up so he eats it when he wakes up. He doesn't care if it's warm or not anyway.

Looks like I'll be skipping breakfast today. Again.

I took my bag and went out of the house, locking it behind me.

Just as I was walking along the road to the sidewalk, the bus I was supposed to take passed by.

"Awesome." I took a deep breath and started walking towards Winter's house.

*****

I opened the unlocked door to the apartment where Stefan, Adrian and occasionally Jeremy live.

"Guys?" I closed the door behind me and took off my boots.

"In the living room!" Adrian called and I followed the voices.

Luca and Jeremy were sitting in the living room, which was huge by the way. Behind the couch, there was a kitchen where Lincoln, Adrian, and Stefan were making snacks which mostly consisted of chips and popcorn.

"I'm glad you made it." Stefan, who was standing next to Adrian with a bowl, smiled.

The two are almost indistinguishable.

Both have dark brown hair, brown eyes, sharp cheekbones, no beard, and their figures are similar. The only difference is that Adrian has tattoos. And also their whole personality.

Stefan is the calm one, while Adrian is the crazier one. They are complete opposites and yet they look the same.

"No time for talk, it's getting started. But good to see you, Lexi." Adrian walked past the counter with glasses and a bottle of water to the table.

"Where have you been for so long?" Lincoln walked up to me and hugged me tightly.

"I missed the bus." I laughed nervously. "Sorry."

"It's okay, come sit down." I heard Luca from the couch.

I smiled at Lincoln and we walked over to the couch where everyone was already seated. Jeremy, as always, took a seat for me next to him and Stefan.

Yes, there were seating arrangements on this couch, don't judge.

"You alright?" Jeremy put his arm around me.

"Yes of course." I smiled and moved closer to him.

Jeremy is my comfort person. Why? Because I know he will never try anything on me.

Well, neither do the other guys, but it's different with Jeremy. He knows that I need physical contact and he knows that I can only accept it from certain people.

Those people are in this room right now.

"Three-two." Lincoln threw the money on the table with a smile.

"One-zero." Adrian joined, followed by Stefan, who said. "Zero-one."

"One-two." Luca placed the money on the desk.

"What do you think babe?" Jeremy looked at me.

"Five-two." I laughed because I thought it was a joke, but Jeremy didn't take it that way.

"Five-two," Jeremy repeated after me and was the last to throw the money on the table.

"And it begins," Adrian said happily and turned up the volume on the TV where the hockey started.

I never get tired of watching these grown guys get upset and yell at something as simple as hockey.

With every goal or every penalty, screams and curses echoed through the apartment.

Jeremy, as always, squeezed my shoulder with each scream, letting me know that this was not a dangerous situation. He's been doing it since I don't even know when.

He knows I don't like loud noises. Mainly screaming.

"You all suck." Jeremy laughed as he took the money off the table since the score was finally five-three, so he was the closest.

"It's not fair, Lexi told you what to bet on," Adrian complained.

"Accept the loss." His twin laughed next to me.

"Next time, ask her before I do. It's not my fault, Winter. We all know Lexi is our good luck charm. Here, babe." He handed me half of the money he had won.

"Oh no, Jerr, that's yours." I moved his hand back to him.

"I'm not asking Lexi, it's yours."I wanted to argue further, but his stern look silenced me.

"So what now?" Lincoln asked.

"I have to go to work, you are more than welcome to come with me." I proposed.

"Definitely." Jeremy stood up excitedly, and everyone else behind him. "Do you need to go home and change?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I took my things with me."

"Great, so we can go. I'm starving." Adrian grabbed his stomach.

"You ate two bowls of chips," Stefan complained.

"Your point?" He put his hands on his hips.

"Nothing." He laughed and waved his hand at it. "Let's go."

*****

Stefan, Adrian, Luca, and Lincoln drove off in Luca's car while Jeremy took me on his bike.

I seated them at their usual table and went to change.

I greeted Fred and Monica, the other waitress, before returning to the table where my boys were sitting and started writing down their orders.

"I'll be right back with your orders." I smiled at them.

"What an amazing service." Adrian handed me the menu with a smile and a wink.

"Be careful, Winter. I'm the only one here who can wink at her." Jeremy elbowed him in the ribs and everyone but the two of them laughed, even Luca.

I shook my head, still laughing a little, and left their table to dictate the order to Fred.

"Your desk." Monica nodded her head somewhere behind me and I looked at the table by the windows.

"Got it." On the way there, I took out a small notebook from my apron, in which I wrote down orders. "Welcome to Joey's Bistro. Have you picked yet?" I looked up at the two guys.

One of them stole all my attention with his blue hair. Maybe I looked too long.

I turned my head to the other side to notice the other guy and for a small moment, my world stopped.

It's him.

"Hamburger, no tomatoes, fries, and Coca-Cola." He said without looking at me.

I opened my mouth to say something to him but kept it to myself.

"I'll take the same." His friend smiled at me and handed me his menu. "But with tomatoes and extra bacon."

"Sure thing." I gave him a small smile and wandered back to the guy I'd been thinking about all day.

There's no way he came here for food. No offense Fred, but your burgers aren't good enough for him to come here twice in two days.

"I'll be right back with your drinks." I finally said when I realized he wasn't looking at me. I turned around and started walking away.

"Whoa, Lexi." Monica caught me when I almost ran into her. "Are you okay?" She laughed.

"Yeah, sorry." I shook my head. "My head is in the clouds." I smiled nervously.

"It's alright." She winked at me.

"I'm sorry, Monica." I stopped her. "Would you mind if you took my desk?"

"The one with the handsome guy?" She raised an eyebrow while I just nodded. "Gladly."

I handed her their order and also the money, which she looked at in confusion. "He paid too much yesterday, could you give it back?"

"Blue hair or..."

"The other one," I said. "Thank you, Mon." I smiled at her and went to Fred's for an order, for my boys.

It was the right decision to give my desk to Monica, right? I don't need to support my stupid thoughts.

After all, he couldn't even look at me. That says everything.

So how are you liking this book so far? I know it's a bit different from what I used to write but don't worry I'll get back to books about mafia in a while, I miss it a bit as well ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.4K 3K 27
❝MY SILENCE IS MY EXPRESSION OF PAIN❞ Ryder Baizen, is your typical 'bad-boy'. The platinum blonde has every girl falling to his feet, while every bo...
4K 271 45
"He was the definition of what you call bad, he smoked, he broke the law, he drove too fast for his own good.He didn't care because no one taught him...
55.1K 738 5
You only get one shot at true love, right? The kind of love that leaves its mark on you forever, changes you and prevents you from ever being the sam...
54.7K 1.1K 47
two broken souls,two broken people, one heart they're bound to repair, and to share, for eternitys.