• Only Time Will Tell •

By jada_nb

Just read you won't regret it... More

Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
New Characters!
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Brief Intermission
Chapter 51
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
*Announcement: New Story!!*
~ The Final Chapter ~

Chapter 52

260 9 11
By jada_nb

~ Earlier That Same Day ~

Lauren's POV:

The bright shine of rejuvenating sunlight enlightened my closed eyelids. Merely groaning, I turned away from it, extending an arm that expected to find a body. Disappointment set across my face once my hand plopped onto the empty mattress space.

"Micah!" I groaned, shuffling to sit upright with a huff.

Glancing around the natural lit bedroom with squinted eyes, I internally frowned when not seeing him anywhere. Then, rolling my eyes, I threw the covers back and stretched my legs to stand.

Moderately yawning, I slid my bare feet into pillow soft slippers and began my daily walk to the bathroom. Extending both arms high above my head, revealing more skin in my tank and underwear sleep attire, I gave myself the once over in the large ring lit mirror. Upon my entrance, the lights had automatically switched on.

With a soft sigh, I started my morning routine.

After showering, doing my hair, skincare, and applying light makeup for rehearsals today, I dressed in comfortable clothing before heading down the spaced stairs.

On the way down, I heard low speaking from my fiancé, prompting my speed on the steps to slow.

"Yeah....-" he laughed, a little too hard for my liking. "No, I got you, I promise.....Oh no, stop-" that laugh again. Rolling my eyes with a huff, I sped back up, making sure that the noise announced my presence. "Of course I-" he glanced behind him from the sofa that faced the floor to ceiling view. "Oh, got to go....talk to you soon. Bye." In my peripheral, as I swung open the fridge, I could see him stand to face me with a wiped smile. "Hi there, babygirl."

Taking a deep breath, accompanied by the cool air from the large refrigerator, I mustered a smile just like his before swiftly turning to face him. "Hi babe!"

"How'd you sleep?"

"Good." My face tried to act receptive as he walked up to me and kissed my cheek. He stood beside me, waiting for a greeting but I continued to face forward. "Where were you this morning?"

"Oh I went for a run-" I nodded, pursing my lips before reaching for an apple at the center of the island. "Came back here and made a few calls. Work isn't gonna do itself, ya know?" A kiss was placed on my temple before he paused, placing a hand on my back and shaking my body a bit. "Are you-"

"Who was that on the phone?"

Sighing, Micah withdrew his hand, then took both to my waist to turn my reluctant body to face him. His strong arms pulled me into a tight embrace as his face neared mine. With a face of slight annoyance, I looked past him, letting my arms hang by my side instead of sliding up his.

"A client." His answer was met with silence, and he then drew back to place a finger under my chin to shift my attention. "A male client."

"You didn't need to clarify-"

"Apparently I did, if you're giving me attitude first thing in the morning." My eyes met his,

"I don't have an attitude-"

"Lying doesn't look good on you Lauren."

"It doesn't look good on you either Micah," I retorted, staring into his eyes again. The second his expression began to go cold, I was reminded of what happened the last time my sarcasm got the best of me; and what it got me. My head dropped. "I'm sorry, you're right, I'm being dramatic again-"

"It's alright sweetheart," he tilted my chin up again to peck my lips. The squeeze around my body from his arms of steel resulted in me instinctively inhaling a breath as Micah leaned into my ear. "You're lucky, I'm in quite a good mood this morning." A possessive kiss was softly placed on my neck. I held my breath. "Not so sure about tomorrow though."

"Micah-" he let me go, leaving me to stumble a bit.

"Let's go. I'm taking you to rehearsals before work."

Taking that as a sign to tread lightly, I grabbed my things and followed him out the door without another word.

~~~~~~~

"Alright everyone, take five!" James, my creative director, yelled amongst me and the few dancers in the room. "Ms. Re." My head turned in his direction. "Come here for a second, will you?"

Doing as he asked, I tried my best to shake thoughts of this morning away before getting close enough to where he could see.

"What's up J?"

He beaconed me closer with a single index finger, while reading over something on his iPad. "What's with you today? You never miss this many cues, if any at all, during rehearsals."

I sighed. So much for the damn poker face.

"I'm sorry J, I'll get it together I promise."

Mentally cursing myself, I played with my fingers as my eyes found the floor. I had a performance tonight here in New York and now was not the time to be off, no matter what was going on behind closed doors. Over 50,000 people will be in attendance to see me, and a few other artists, on stage for this festival. And I'm one to pride myself in being a professional, despite internally screaming under invisible water.

Before I could excuse myself for water with a simple nod, James gently pulled my arm.

"Hey.... Is everything-"

I quickly shook my head, mustering my best smile of reassurance. "Everything's fine James, I just have a bit of a headache," I lied. "All I need is some Motrin and we're good to go. Promise."

His eyes quizzically narrowed at me, but I didn't waver the act.

"I'll have Fallon get you some Motrin and Gatorade," he trailed, letting his hand fall from my arm. "Are you sure you're-"

"I'm fine Jamess, I promise," I laughed it off, shaking my head as I backed away from his stare of growing concern. "I promise," I widened my eyes to assure him before completely walking off with a sigh of relief.

After three more hours of tireless singing and mild dancing with no further mistakes, James and Henson, the choreographer, called it a day. That was until the performance later on this evening.

Feeling very much in need of it, I sprawled out onto the floor in a corner of the room to stretch. My shoulders were pinned to the floor with both arms extended on either side as I hiked my right leg across my body to reach my left hand.

Just as I closed my eyes, feeling tension release, a shadow of a body figure hovered over, promoting my eyes to open again. Fallon, my assistant, stood over me with my phone, extending an arm down to me.

"It's Micah. He says it can't wait."

Trying to suppress an eye roll, I reached for it with a mild grunt.

"Hey babe,"

"Hey babygirl, I just needed to call and check in." A subconscious smile grew on my face.

"Babe, you didn't have to-"

"Do you think you'll be alright without me tonight? I think this session will run a little bit late..."

The grin quickly disappeared. "That's fine, Micah," I sighed.

Hearing his laughter through the phone as a voice spoke, I rolled my eyes. "Oh I promise I'll make it up to you sweetheart, okay?

"It's-"

"Okay, I love you! Bye!"

"I lo-" the line went silent before I could finish. At this point, I'm not even sure if it mattered if I did.

"Alone tonight?" Fallon asked knowingly as I handed her back the phone.

Not even bothering to give a verbal response, for she already knew the answer, I only nodded before getting back into position. I switched legs.

"Guess I got the TV to myself tonight," I attempted to joke. Fallon knew of Micah's horrible taste in gaming instead of actual TV or better yet, quality time with his soon to be wife.

Smacking her lips, she plopped down beside me as I continued to stretch, seemingly unbothered.

"Come out with us," she said after a moment of silence. "Tonight, after the show. All the dancers and some of the crew are going to this hot club in Manhattan. And with no Micah tonight, you should have some fun. You barely join us anymore Lu."

"I'm sorry, I just don't like irritating Mic about going out so often. He gave me hell about it for the longest until I finally caved." I shook my head, thinking hard on the treatment I received for simply trying to have fun. "I loved going out with you guys," I said through a smile, more so to myself. "Dancing until we dropped, and running off adrenaline from amazing shows.....good days."

Fallon just stared at me, listening with an amused look as I sat up, now stretching my arms while reminiscing.

"You need those days again Lu," she said. I looked at her, wariness in my eyes. "I know Micah's about to become your husband but he shouldn't control your every move that way-" she paused, tracing back on her words. "Respectfully," she nodded. I smiled,

"It's okay Fal, I knew what you meant."

She then perked up. "So you'll come??"

Shit, I don't see why not. It ain't like I got someone at home waiting for me.

"Of course," I said softly with a tight lipped grin.

Fallon squealed then stood to her feet. "Okay, I'll get John to get the car, and we'll get you to the hotel to get ready."

"Okay."

"Do you want a salad or soup for lunch?"

I want a damn burger with fries and a milkshake.

"Salad please," I stood to follow her, dusting off my joggers and cropped t-shirt.

"Alright, I'll get right on that. And omg, that look Francis picked out for tonight's performance...." She shook her head. "The fans are going to be drooling-" I exclaimed a laugh. If you say so. "Oh and I gotta let him know to have something ready for tonight's after party- you in the mood for a specific color? I was thinking, maybe a shiny silver two piece with a halter-"

My mind drifted elsewhere as Fallon went on with her usual rambling. Having her as an assistant is truly a ride; she's tight within her work, yet so chirpy and optimistic. It sometimes makes me wonder when that energy left me, for I once had it.

~~~~~~~~

"Oh me oh my, do my eyes deceive me?!" Olivia, a fond dancer of mine, walked up to me as I entered the VIP section of the club, wearing shock on her face. "Miss Luna Re is that you?"

I laughed. "Yes Liv, it's me. Fallon dragged me out here-"

"Shit, bout time someone did. How dare you hide that beautiful face up in that condo with that egg head," she joked.

"Oh please," I waved a hand before locking arms with her and heading toward the bar. "You see this old thing plenty-"

"Yeah, but that's for work and when you're all business. This-" she gave my cheek a light pinch, careful of my makeup. "This is the one we wanna see, all lighthearted and laid back. I love this outfit by the way-" Olivia's eyes trailed me from head to toe. I blushed,

"Thanks Liv, but Francis takes all the credit once again. I'm merely his mannequin."

"Hm," she faced toward the bar and began to mumble, "a stunning mannequin you are."

I thought it best to let her obvious flirtatious comment go unaddressed.

Liv's never been shy about her crush on me, and I honestly found amusement in it. The thing is, she also has a crush on anyone she finds attractive, and flirts with them just the same. A charming one, she is. Although she claims I'm her favorite, I have a feeling she's told five other girls the same thing. It's nothing to me though, studs and mascs aren't really my type.

"Holy shit, that's Lizzo." Liv was now turned away from the bar, looking onto the crowd of famous people and groupies. I turned upon hearing what she said,

"Where?"

"Walking up to us-"

"Oh my God hi!" My eyes widened once I realized her excitement was directed towards me. "I didn't get a chance to tell you at the festival but I absolutely loved your set. That voice is something else!"

Play it cool Lauren, play it cool. I mentally took a deep breath, trying to remain calm and reserved.

"Oh thank you so much, that means a lot coming from you," I stuck out a hand for her to shake. "I'm Lauren-" she glanced down at it before shaking it with an amused smile.

"Lizzo, but call me Melissa."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm really a huge fan. Your set was fantastic as always," I said, trying not to let the shakiness in my voice show.

"Why thank you, thank you." She then looked at me with a pause before chuckling to herself. "I never would have expected you to be so soft spoken-"

"I keep telling her she sound like Janet or Michael sometimes-" my slight elbow nudge to Liv's side halted her sentence and she laughed.

"I'm not, I'm just nervous," I admitted. "That's all." Melissa smiled.

"Yeah cuz trust me, she ain't even quiet like that. Let her-"

"Okayy, thank you. Olivia." I glared at my friend, praying it'd shut her up.

The admirable artist in front of me chuckled again. "That liquor starting to settle in, I see-"

"Girl, you telling me-" we shared a laugh.

"Oh, I see another New York friend! I gotta catch up with her, it's been a minute. But hey, we should meet up sometime, maybe even talk up a song together, if you're interested."

I tried not to let shock issue me speechless. "Oh my God, of course!"

"Good, I'll have my people call yours. It was really nice to meet you Lauren," she leaned in for a hug. I smiled into it,

"Oh the pleasure's all mine, and you too Melissa. You have a good one now." We pulled away, wearing appeased grins.

"You too, I'll see you," she waved behind her before walking across the room.

With a sigh, I began making my way to a booth, secluded off to the side. For a minute, I sat there, just soaking in my surroundings. Olivia ditched me for the dance floor as soon as Lizzo parted, so I had no one really lingering around me at the moment. At the booth with some of the crew members I hadn't had the chance to really get to know. I didn't like that. I enjoy getting to know every member of my production team no matter how much I don't see them.

"Hi guys, y'all enjoying your night?"

They smiled at me, giving nods and gracious yes's.

Just when conversation was picking up, I heard Lizzo's voice shout from across the room, by the bar,

"Well if it isn't the famous Miss Sade Harper!"

My eyes immediately widened. The famous Miss who?!..... I know she didn't just say...

I damn near got whiplash, my neck snapped so fast in their direction.

Swooshing my head a bit, trying to peer through the multiple bodies, I squinted my eyes in an attempt to see better. Why the hell didn't I put in my contacts?

Soon, a path cleared, allowing my line of vision to focus on two women engaging in conversation with Melissa. Their side profiles were facing me so neither could see my anxious stare.

Surely my eyes aren't deceiving me, because no way that's who I think it is.

I'm aware that I'm in New York, where she went to college and probably now lives, but...still... I-I never thought I'd see that face again.

I didn't need to see her whole face to know it was her. I could recognize that side profile anywhere. I could recognize that body anywhere. And that smile....

This cannot be happening right now...

Immediately turning away before she could glanced in my direction, I scooted farther into the booth to prevent being noticed. Suddenly, I didn't want to be out and about right now. I needed to go home and sleep this off. There's just no way.

"Hey Luna!" I heard the voice of my fiancé calling my name from not too far over. To my surprise, there he was with a bunch of producers and underground artists. "Come here, I want you to meet someone!" I mentality scoffed and rolled my eyes.

What the hell happened to 'late night at the studio?!'

Trying to muster a pleasantly surprised expression, I turned to him wearing a smile. "Hold on, I'm coming!" I turned to the crew members, who were ushering me to go. "I'm sorry y'all, excuse me for a moment."

With a grimace and long drawn breath, I began scooting out from the booth, exiting limb by limb.

Painting on, what I Iike to call, "my public persona," I waltzed over to the group with my head held high and my attention supposedly oblivious to the line of stares. I didn't mind them, at all really. But I couldn't do anything but pray to God that a specific pair of eyes didn't land on me as I walked across this room.

Good God, I hope she doesn't see me.

~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 21.5K 34
𝑖 𝑏𝑒𝑡 𝑖𝑓 𝑖 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑦 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑔𝑜𝑛𝑛𝑎 𝑡𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑢𝑠 𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑...
64.5K 3.2K 46
I like girls who like girls
103K 2.8K 12
expect the unexpected.
118K 2K 16
Never try to sneaky link with me, you'll love it here I do not own any pics or videos used. They are just to match a face to the characters you are...