The Bird and the Garden 3: Th...

By SecretMinty

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to RWBY or it's characters. I also do not own the image used for the cove... More

Prologue: Repeated Life
Chapter 1: The Adventure Begins
Chapter 2: A Full Party
Character Introductions
Chapter 3: The Necromancer
Chapter 4: Goblin City
Chapter 5: Problems
Chapter 6: Dwarves
Chapter 7: The Beast of the Mountain
Chapter 8: Through the Mountains
Chapter 9: Desert of the Mad
Chapter 10: Recovery and Sickness
Chapter 11: The Secret City, Part One
Chapter 12: The Secret City, Part Two
Chapter 13: Returning Home
Chapter 14: Dawn of the Festival
Chapter 15: The Festival of Light
Chapter 16: The Fall of Team FRSB
Chapter 17: The Ripper Stalks
Chapter 18: Familiar Faces
Chapter 19: Red Snow
Chapter 20: Happy Thoughts
Chapter 21: Dark Intentions
Chapter 22: Abomination
Chapter 23: Searching for Vao
Chapter 24: Chasing Shadows
Chapter 25: Light and Darkness
Chapter 26: The Black Witch
Chapter 27: Crackling Tensions
Chapter 28: Preparation for War
Chapter 29: Battle for Faralda
Chapter 30: The Blood
Chapter 31: It Never Gets Better
Chapter 32: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part One
Chapter 33: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Two
Chapter 34: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Three
Chapter 36: Real Monsters, Part One
Chapter 37: Real Monsters, Part Two
Chapter 38: Perfect Elegant Servant
Chapter 39: Rest
Chapter 40: Journey to the East
Chapter 41: Ruby Attacks
Chapter 42: The Hot Wind, Part One
Chapter 43: The Hot Wind, Part Two
Chapter 44: The Hot Wind, Part Three
Chapter 45: The Cost of Freedom
Chapter 46: Leaf Games
Chapter 47: Before Ragna
Chapter 48: Chasing Shadows
Chapter 49: Hidden Secrets
Chapter 50: The Dollhouse
Chapter 51: Tourmaline and Sapphire
Chapter 52: Meltdown
Chapter 53: Barely Alive
Chapter 54: Remember Me
Chapter 55: Forbidden Secrets
Chapter 56: Brief Respite
Chapter 57: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 58: Mono the Unbreakable
Chapter 59: Mono, Part One
Chapter 60: Mono, Part Two.
Chapter 61: Mono, Part Three
Chapter 62: Jack the Ripper
Chapter 63: The Collapse, Part One
Chapter 64: The Reality Filled with Blood
Chapter 65: Darkness Unending
Chapter 66: The Collapse, Part Two
Chapter 67: Wasted Land
Chapter 68: The Truth Comes in Pieces
Chapter 69: True Hell, Part One
Chapter 70: Snake Eater, Part One
Chapter 71: Snake Eater, Part Two
Chapter 72: True Hell, Part Two
Chapter 73: The Blood of the Gods
Chapter 74: The First Vao's Dream
Chapter 75: Cruelty of the Gods, Part One
Chapter 76: Cruelty of the Gods, Part Two
Chapter 77: Family
Chapter 78: Cruelty of the Gods, Part Three
Chapter 79: The God of Darkness
Chapter 80: Lord Vao Dusty Branwen, Part One
Chapter 81: Lord Vao Dusty Branwen, Part Two
Chapter 82: Lord Vao Dusty Branwen, Part Three
Chapter 83: The Face of True Evil, Part One
Chapter 84: The Face of True Evil, Part Two
Keeping Promises (The Good Ending)
Happy Ending (Good Ending's Epilogue)
Dark Obsession with You (The Bad Ending)
There are No Happy Endings (Bad Ending's Epilogue)
Remain by Your Side (Neutral Ending One)
A New Day (Neutral Ending One Epilogue)
Fallen Hero (Neutral Ending Two)
Dark Rebirth (Neutral Ending Two Epilogue)
Final Notes
FINAL UPDATE!

Chapter 35: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Four

48 4 3
By SecretMinty

Alice choked over her own spit and vomit, the disgusting mix forced back down her throat as Mono pushed the meat past her lips, using her strange ability to forcefully feed her.

"Come now," the Cult leader cooed. "If you don't eat, you'll go hungry. You'll grow weaker, and weaker... Eat. It's for your own good..."

Alice felt the mouthful slide down her throat and into her stomach, Mono finally taking a step back and admiring her work. The monoeye chuckled softly, turning back to her worktable.

"There... Don't you feel so much better now?"

She listened to Alice shriek and cry, her grey eye focused on her tools. Her finger trailed along the table, finally stopping on something Mono had never used. She picked up the clippers, turning back to Alice. Her shoes clacked against the floor as she approached the bloodied blonde, a pair of swollen, bloodshot eyes staring at her like death itself.

"I never really found a use for these," Mono said softly. "I prefer to be more... Physical. But the way you scream and beg... It brings out so much more in me. I simply love when they scream at the top of their lungs, even after they lose their voices."

Click.

The clippers buzzed loudly, Alice rocking against her restraints. She didn't know what that thing Mono was holding did, but if the past eight hours told her anything, it was going to be unbearably painful. Mono disappeared from view in an instant, never having moved a muscle. Alice screamed when she felt the sharp tug of her hair, her head slamming against the back of her chair. The clippers buzzed in her ear, the blades spinning into they looked like one object.

"On Twist, we usually use scissors," Mono explained softly. "But when Milord started teaching us about the technology of the First Timeline, we made these... They're so much easier to use than scissors. In one swift movement, the hair can be cut to the scalp..."

Alice felt her heart leapt into her mouth, staring up at Mono. Tears streamed down her face, her lips parting into a pleading cry. "N-no... Not m-mah hair..."

Mono's mouth twitched into a smirk. "Pardon me, but I couldn't hear you. Did you say you wanted a haircut?"

Alice shook her head, screaming as loud as she could in a vain hope that it would please Mono enough. "P-pleash!"

The clippers were growing closer, Mono's lips curling into a thin smile. "... But it's awfully greasy. If you cannot take care of your hair, then why should you have it?"

Mono was mocking her. Alice begged, the first of the locks coming loose. Mono held the golden strands in front of her, giving it a little wave. "Oops... My hand slipped..."

Alice couldn't find her voice, Mono's chuckle reaching her ears. The clippers buzzed loudly, the weight disappearing from her head as the hair fell into clumps on the bloody floor. Alice wished Mono had chosen to smash her knees with a hammer again. She was learning why Mono was held in such high regards compared to the rest of the First Vao's Inner Circle.

She wasn't like the fairies that had stopped by. Mono was far, far worse. The fairies only physically tortured her. Mono would get into her head, and break her mind just as she did with her body. Alice tried to jerk her head away, to keep the little dignity she felt like she had. But the moment she moved, she felt a sharp pain and something warm trickling down the back of her neck. She gasped, her eyes rolling to the ceiling. Mono chuckled softly.

"Fufufu... Do try not to move so much, Alice. These clippers are awfully sharp; you just cut yourself."

Alice's head felt much colder, Mono's frigid palms pulling away. The Cult leader bent down to pick up the filthy clumps of hair, carrying them back to the table. "If I wash this, I could possibly make a wig," Mono called to her. "As dirty as it is, it is easy to tell you took care of it before we met. Perhaps one of the zombies would love to have such pretty hair?"

She dropped it on the steel table, picking up her mirror and returning to Alice. Her one grey eye flickered with laughter, her smile stretching. "... It was my first time using clippers. I hope you are satisfied with the results..."

When she held up the mirror, Alice could only stare at her reflection. Her bald head shone in the moonlight, tears falling down her vomit and bloodstained chin. She had never felt so humiliated in her life, so embarrassed. Cutting her hair wasn't the worst that Mono had done, but it was effective.

She felt something warm pooling in her chair, the steady drip, drip of a liquid tapping against the floor reaching her ears. Mono frowned, staring down. "Oh, dear... That is just plain gross..."

Alice had wet herself. She didn't want to be there anymore. She didn't want to breathe. She wanted it to stop. Mono's smile returned, the mirror disappearing from her hands and returning to the table. Again, Mono had never moved. The sadistic nonhuman leaned down, cupping a hand against Alice's cheek.

"... Perhaps you will tell me what I want to know now? Or shall we continue? I could always strip you down and invite the Cultists to laugh at you. You wouldn't want to be seen without clothes, would you?" She chuckled quietly. "Tell me... Is there a plan to take Summer back? How much do they know of Milord? Who is keeping the illusions that they hide behind?"

Alice was almost ready to break. If she told Mono, maybe she'd finally kill her. They didn't know much of the First Vao, only how he came to be the evil man he was. They had no plan to take Summer back because they didn't even know where she was being kept. But she knew who was keeping up the illusion.

"M... M-Mi..."

She bit down on her tongue, trying to keep her mouth shut. If she spoke, she'd be putting her seven-year-old cousin in danger. She bit hard until she broke skin, her mouth filling with the coppery taste. Mono leaned closer, her eye flickering with an intense desire to hear more.

"Go on... Continue..."

Alice had never felt this level of fear before. The only other person she felt this way towards was the First Vao. She had learned quickly that Mono was just as bad. Just like many of the other Cultists, Mono was very mentally ill. She knew full well that what she was doing was horrible, horrifying. But she didn't care. She enjoyed it. And with her unhealthy obsession with the First Vao, it had grown even worse. It was the fact that Mono didn't care, that she had the power to win, that scared Alice. She didn't even know what the Cult leader's ability was, and she was still fearful. She couldn't take it anymore. The name left her lips.

"M... M-Midori B-Branwen..."

Mono raised an eyebrow, moving back to her table. "... 'Branwen'... Very interesting..."

Alice bit down on her lips. In her head she kept apologizing. She had put her cousin in danger, straight into Mono's radar. But at this point, the only thing Alice could think about was saving herself. "Y-y... Y-you'll... L-let me g-go now...?"

Mono chuckled, a scalpel gleaming in the moonlight. "Goodness, when did I ever say such a thing? There are still so many things I want to do."

Alice felt her heart sink, the color draining from her face. She felt dizzy, sick. Mono set the scalpel down, picking up a rag instead. The Cult leader turned back, her footsteps drawing closer, her smile widening into it was like a thin sickle stretching ear-to-ear.

"Besides... Nasty little traitors should be punished, shouldn't they?"

A sudden force struck Alice in the chest, driving the wind from the bald girl's chest. The bolts holding down the front legs of the chair shattered to pieces, the back legs bending until her head slammed against the floor. Mono held up the rag and draped it over Alice's face, planting her foot on her forehead to keep it steady. Alice struggled. She didn't know what Mono was going to do next.

She could hear something sloshing in a bucket, and then the ice cold water splashing onto the cloth. The rag was soaked, Alice thrashing and choking as she tried to breathe without inhaling water. Mono was laughing, continuing to taunt her through the waterboarding.

"Come now, you should remain well-hydrated. Your urine was dark yellow; you simply must drink until it is clear. Drink, Alice. Drink."

Alice's body rejected the water in her lungs, coughing and choking it back up. Her vision was flickering, the sounds around her becoming more difficult to hear. She was drowning. And just before she felt like she was going to pass out, the water stopped. Mono's laughter had fallen silent, a cold breeze blowing against her skin.

"Saril...? What are you doing here? I told you not to bother me."

Alice could hear the rhythmic tap of Saril's eight legs as the arachne stepped into the room, giggling subconsciously.

"Someone was looking for their daughter... I thought maybe you'd like them to see each other!"

Mono was silent for a moment, until finally she chuckled. "Fufufu... Splendid idea..."

Alice felt Mono's cold fingers pinch the rag, finally pulling it away. And the moment she turned her head to the arachne, her heart dropped.

Tim was staring at her, his face filled with horror.

...

Pock backed away from the fairies, staring around the twisted workshop in terror. It was like something straight from a nightmare. Disemboweled corpses dressed in tattered robes of the Church, some dressed as regular people. There was no discrimination; elves, humans, dwarves, nonhumans, every race she could think of were chained and nailed to the walls, some still breathing.

Jasper floated into the air, laughing loudly. "That was easy! And I thought catching Yin was supposed to be difficult!"

Pock's mind went blank. They couldn't tell who she was from Midori's illusions. They thought she was Yin. Sapphire giggled, yanking on her pull-chain. The chainsaw revved loud, sending shivers down Pock's back. They were going to kill her.

With a loud thump Pock spun and began to sprint down the halls, sweat rolling down her skin. She wished she had brought her sword; right now, she was trapped with no means of defending herself.

She swung her fists when the fairies dove from the shadows, punching them out of the air. But when she would take down one, six more would take their place. Pock never could have imagined anyone using fairies in an army, but the reason was becoming as clear as a crystal; their advantage was in numbers.

She could feel tiny teeth biting at the back of her neck, the fairies clinging to her. Pock drove her back into the wall, trying to scream louder than the sounds of their bones breaking.

CLANK!

The bear trap slammed shut on her thigh, the teeth puncturing her armor with ease. The fairies pried it open, and then closed it again. Pock caught the trap and kicked out with her good leg, tears welling up in her eyes. The swarm laughed and cheered, clapping their hands. They were treating it as a source of entertainment; Pock fighting for her life was nothing more than a show.

The goblin clenched her fists together, dodging the swing of an axe. She grabbed at the handle and tore it free, pointing the thick head straight at Jasper, the mastermind of the murderous fairies.

"I no go down with no fight!"

Jasper looked vastly unimpressed. "... Can you not speak, retard? Lord Vao said you were supposed to be smart," she growled in annoyance. "Whatever. Fine by me. Get him, boys!"

Pock swung her axe as the fairies swarmed her, sweat rolling from her skin. Tourmaline soared through the air, gracefully dodging each blow. She twisted her body in ways Pock never thought possible, almost as if she was dancing.

"I must say, after everything my Lord said about you... That you were a threat... I'm shocked!"

Pock's nerves locked up when Tourmaline zapped her with her taser again, laughing at her own joke.

"Kyahaha!"

Pock forced her body to move, the chainsaw's blade sparking dangerously against the axe. The fairy was stronger than the goblin could've imagined - Sapphire's strength was comparable to a grown man.

Pock was pushed back. It overrode her fighting response, the goblin scrambling away and leaving her weapon behind. Sapphire was four inches tall, and she pushed away someone over three times her own weight. She could hear the chainsaw revving behind her, Sapphire squealing with thrill.

Jasper was following above, laughing hysterically. "Oh, come on! We're just fairies; one of the weakest races on Twist! Why are you running!?"

Pock had no intention to succumb to her taunts. If she stood her ground and fought, she'd eventually be overwhelmed. The swarm followed behind, giving Sapphire space as she swung her chainsaw from side to side, the blade smoldering with flame. Tourmaline flew above her sister with a spear, the head crackling with lightning.

Pock drove her shoulder into a door and kicked it shut behind her, sticking a chair under the knob. The wooden barricade bent dangerously as the fairies slammed against it.

CRACK!

CRACK!

The axe head left a vertical scar, Tourmaline sticking her face through. "Nehehe! Here's Tourma- Neh!?"

Pock poked the fairy in the eye, sending the tiny blonde reeling back with a scream. The door was beginning to fracture, Sapphire's chainsaw revving in a frenzy. They were going to break it down. Pock turned and ran, shoving a pile of boxes between her and the door, trying to gain as much ground as she could. With a loud crack, she could hear the fairies laughing behind her, their eyes gleaming at the end of the hall. There were far more than earlier. What started off as hundreds had become thousands. Pock didn't want to know how many fairies were living in this tree.

She pushed through another door and locked it, trying to catch her breath. But again, her breathing stopped when she looked around the kitchen.

There were fairies waiting for her, their chef aprons stained scarlet. Corpses sat on the counters, some cut into slivers of meat. That same meat was sizzling on their stoves, filling the air with the familiar scent of steaks. The fairies looked up in confusion, Pock bumping against the door.

The fairies were cannibals. The glint of knives snapped her back to reality, Pock ducking as the blades slammed into the door where her head had been moments before. Jasper floated above, in hysterics as she followed the goblin through the twisted kitchen.

"Maybe you'd like to stop for a snack!? You've always seemed to enjoy our food, after all!"

Pock didn't really get what Jasper was saying. She'd never find herself eating from someone else's body, unless it was a survival situation. But even then, she'd have serious issues with it. She stopped to throw a pan at the fairies, managing to only knock two out of the air. With a rolling pin, she snatched a third from the air and tossed her against the counter, beating the tiny man with her makeshift weapon.

She could hear the snapping of his bones, his flesh making wet, spongy sounds with each slam. But still he laughed until his last breath. Pock dropped the red rolling pin just as the door finally shattered to pieces, Sapphire spinning with her chainsaw and laughing.

"Catch the Hero of Light, cook him up real nice!" She sang. Tourmaline wrapped her arms around her sister's shoulders, joining in on the song. "Boil him alive, make him pay the price!"

"Death to the Church, death to the Hero of Light!" The fairies sang. "Watch him struggle, then set him alight!"

Pock vaulted over a countertop and slammed through another door. A flight of stairs awaited her, and in the middle of the first step she saw the glint of a tripwire, two fairies waiting for her with the string in hand. With her momentum, Pock didn't have enough time to slow down. She felt herself go airborne as she fell down the stairs, tucking her chin into her collar, her back slamming against the wooden stairs and cracking them.

SLAM!

Pock groaned, trying to pick herself up. She was breathing funny, her head spinning. In an instant the fairies had swarmed her, the friction of their wings beating through the air making her sweat. Her legs dangled when they lifted her into the air, their laughter filling the dreaded halls. Jasper floated in front of her, wearing a smirk that sent fury down her spine. It was the smirk of someone who was full of themselves. The type that Pock wanted to punch off. Jasper's smirk grew.

"Aww, someone mad?"

The fairy dodged to the side when Pock spat her tooth out, letting it hit another fairy in the forehead. Jasper snapped her fingers, the fairies lifting her higher into the air, through the depths of the trees. Chains wrapped around her arms and tightened, holding her dozens of feet from the floor. Pock didn't struggle. If she managed to break free, she'd break every bone from the fall, or just outright die. Not that she could break through steel, anyway. The fairies circled her like sharks, their hands clasped together as they sang.

"We finally caught the Hero of Light, our next dish! Our Lord will praise us, and Jasper will get her wish!"

Jasper seemed to revel in the song, clapping her hands with the tune. Sapphire and Tourmaline flew to her side, giggling amongst themselves. "Do you get it, Yin?" Sapphire asked happily.

"You're going to die here!" Tourmaline laughed. "We'll cut you up, cook you, and give the rest to Miss Ruby! She'll turn what's left into a doll for Saril!"

Pock bit her tongue, spitting scarlet at them. But the fairies moved out of the way with ease, Jasper tilting her head back with laughter.

"Show him a good time, boys!"

Cl-cl-clink...

Pock's eyes widened as the chains began to pull tighter, her arms locking out. The goblin shrieked and struggled to pull some slack, but the chains only pulled tighter. At this rate, her arms were going to be pulled from their sockets. Jasper floated closer, her hand resting on Pock's chin.

"Oh, we're going to have so much fun with you," she snickered. "Just like Boss is with that... What was her name? Elise?"

"Alice, I think!" Tourmaline chimed in. Sapphire giggled.

"I heard Boss was feeding her today... Do you think Yinny knows? About the meat in Grimmore?"

Jasper shook her head, her smirk widening. "From his reaction to our kitchen... I don't think he does."

Pock felt her heart sink. "M... Meat...?"

Jasper seemed annoyed. "Can you not speak properly or something? It's bad enough dealing with that stinky blue moron."

Sapphire giggled. "My stink is endearing!"

"Endearing to what, a skunk?" Tourmaline muttered angrily. "That isn't even an insult to you. The victim is the skunk."

Jasper shook her head, ignoring her sisters. She leaned closer, her face hovering over Pock's right eye. "Forget it. Maybe you're just in denial. Let's play a while; we love playing with our food, after all..."

Pock's heart thundered in her chest, the fairies drawing closer. And soon, the tree was filled with screaming, claiming another victim.

...

Tim's boots echoed on the nearly empty streets of the dark, Victorian town, his eyes scanning the illuminated areas under the streetlights. Searching for his missing daughter and his friend.

He didn't want anyone to worry about his disappearance, but he couldn't take it anymore. If there was something he could do, then he was going to do it. Even if it meant searching Grimmore alone. Though he certainly wouldn't have minded if it were daytime. Sure, it would still be dark because of the imperishable night that hung over the city, but at least there would be people about; parents enjoying their day with their children, elderly admiring the scenery - it wouldn't feel so dark and empty, like it did now. Some of them could even help him search.

His biggest fear was that Alice had gotten hurt. Be it by the Cult, or from a fall. Though he doubted it was the former; if the Cult had kidnapped Alice, then surely they'd all have been killed by now. Or maybe it was some sort of game? To see if the Cult could break the adventurers? If it was, then the effects were already taking hold of Tim.

He couldn't feel the presence following him, eight eyes staring from the darkness. Not until he heard the footsteps.

Tap, tap, tap...

The guardsman spun around, his heart racing. Saril stood behind him, the arachne as topless as the day she was born. Not that it was surprising; Saril rarely seemed to wear a shirt. The arachne beamed with a smile that wasn't entirely there, waving her arms. "Hi, hello, good evening! What are you doing out so late?"

Tim didn't want to tell her. Saril was one of the very last people he even wanted to talk to. He found her... Unsettling, to say the least. Every time he looked into her eyes, it was like he wasn't looking at a person. It was like Saril just... Existed. Subconsciously going about her day, with no real thought. The guardsman took a shaky step back when Saril drew closer, circling him curiously. He noticed it when they first met in the inn, but he didn't comprehend just how big she was at the time. Her spider-half easily raised Saril high enough to stand taller than even Sasha. And given her width, it was a miracle she could even fit through a door.

"Why are you out so late?" Saril repeated cheerfully. She was keen on understanding his motivation, it would seem. Tim thought about it for a moment. As much as Saril made him uncomfortable, she was just another Cultist. She didn't know who he was, or who his friends were with Midori's illusions masking their identities. Maybe she could even help him. She seemed friendly enough, even if she was a bit loopy.

"I... I'm looking for my daughter," he admitted quietly. "She went missing yesterday morning..."

Saril didn't stop smiling, leaning closer. "Ooh, a missing girl? Is she an octopus?"

"... What?"

"I ate an octopus for dinner! I wanted to know if I accidentally ate your daughter!"

Tim felt like he was asking the wrong person for help. He shook his head. "N-no... She's human, like me..."

Saril hummed, dragging her fingernail lightly against her chin. "... Oh, you mean that Alice girl?"

Tim's blood froze solid in his veins. Saril was staring at him, her smile faltering. She leaned closer, sniffing the air and squinting at him. "... You're... Tim, right? Alice's dad? You have a similar smell to her."

Tim reached for his spear, pointing it at her. He needed to get out of there. But first, he needed to know something. "W... What d-did you do with my daughter?"

Saril's face brightened. "I didn't do anything. She's with Milady! Would you like to see her?"

Mono. Tim had heard the Cultists address her as 'Milady' plenty of times. He didn't know much about her, but what he did know was that the First Vao had placed a lot of trust in her. Saril stepped closer, drawing out Tim's fear. He reflexively thrusted his spear forward, the spearhead aiming straight for her heart.

Snap.

The quick glint of Saril's fingernails cut through the air, severing the steel tip from the polearm. It was nothing more than a stick now. Her hands seized his shoulders, her smile widening to reveal the fangs in her mouth.

"That's not very nice... You'll have to stay still, if we're going to see Alice and Milady," she giggled distantly.

Tim opened his mouth to scream, but before the sound could come out Saril's silk glued his lips shut. Her fangs sank into his shoulder, a burning sensation washing through his body. Venom.

Saril was an arachne, her spider half being that of a black widow. She had injected him with a paralytic venom, his muscles stiffening until his body went rigid. With speed and dexterity, Saril had him wrapped from the neck down in a cocoon, setting him down on her back.

"Come on... Milady has been eager to have you join Alice!" She giggled. "I came looking for you, so I can surprise her!"

Tim tried to move his fingers at least, but his body wouldn't listen. With sweat rolling down his forehead, Saril crawled along the sides of the buildings, making her own shortcuts through the city.

Grimmore, the city of an imperishable night. Once again, it had claimed someone else.

...

Pip woke up not long after Tim left, sitting up in bed and rubbing his eyes. Violet stirred next to him when he slipped out from underneath the covers, lifting her head from the pillow. "Where are you going...?"

Pip couldn't tell her the truth. She'd tell one of the adults. "I have to go to the bathroom," he lied. But to his surprise, Violet started climbing out of bed. "W... Wot are you doing?"

Violet ran a hand through her messy hair, yawning quietly. "Dad says I need to go with you... He said something smelled fishy yesterday..."

Pip unintentionally shot a glare at Vao's headless body, the dullahan's arm dangling from the bed. Verde was still cradling his head, her free arm tossed on top of the stump of his neck. It was as jarring as it sounded. But Violet didn't seem to notice the glare, following Pip down the hall. She opened the door for him, jerking her head to the inside. "I don't mean to be a cunt, but can you make it quick, bruv? We've got to find Alice and Pock tomorrow..."

Pip nodded begrudgingly, flicking on the lights as Violet closed the door behind him. The harpy sighed, mumbling under his breath. He didn't hate his sisters - that spot was reserved for his father. But he found it more than annoying that he couldn't leave. He knew he wasn't very smart, and wouldn't make it past them if they were keeping an eye on him.

He looked around the bathroom for an escape - a vent, perhaps. And instead, his scarlet eyes settled on something much better.

He never understood why people put windows in bathrooms. Ventilation, aesthetic? He didn't have a clue. But it would work all the same. The issue was opening it without Violet hearing him from outside. If he tried to fly up there, he could easily knock something over. And even then, the beat of his wings would be enough to get Violet's attention. He looked around for something, anything. And he found a broom. He clenched the stick in his mouth and angled his head, poking at the latch.

Click.

The latch snapped open with a quiet click, the harpy moving the broom again to push the window open. Digging his talons into the wall, he barely managed to push himself on the ledge, jumping from the second story and taking to the air. Just outside the door, Violet was struggling to stay awake.

Pip soared down the streets, his smile growing bigger as he drew closer to the alley, skidding to a halt as he landed. Just as he promised, the First Vao was waiting for him. "D-Dad!"

The First Vao jumped out of his skin, turning around. He had a plate in his hands, a seared steak sitting on top. He had been eating. When he saw Pip, he relaxed with a sigh. "Hell's bells... Spooked me, kid..."

Pip hopped into the alley, stretching his wings out wide. The First Vao chuckled, setting his plate on the ground to give the harpy a cold hug. In the literal sense, that is. Pip didn't mind; the warmth from the affection was still there.

The First Vao pulled away and picked up his plate, walking alongside the harpy and taking a bite from his steak. "So, kiddo... How was your day?"

Pip felt fuzzy again. "Well... I'm being watched, now... Getting away was really hard..."

"How'd you do it?"

"C-climbed through a window..."

The First Vao chuckled, reminiscing on fond memories. "Nyahaha... I used to do the same thing. When I was younger, I'd drink a lot. At some point in school, Yin- er... Not your Yin, that is..." He glanced at Pip, the harpy grinning. He understood the First Vao wasn't talking about his time on Twist. The murderer chuckled, continuing his story. "He told everyone to make sure I didn't leave, coz I'd go to a bar owned by a friend. I blew a hole through the wall and made a fabulous escape. One of my teachers made me fix it... Can't remember her name, but she beat me with a riding crop."

Pip giggled. "So you got in trouble a lot?"

"Like you wouldn't believe," he snickered. "I always did something fun. I even spiked the punch at a party, and then... Th-then..."

He trailed off, his smile falling. He was remembering how he and the First Yin had started fighting. Given that it was the key point that spiraled his life out of his control, the First Vao wasn't very eager to talk about it. "... Forget it, kid... You want to see a cool trick instead?"

Pip jumped with joy, skittering around him like a kid at a candy store. "Yeah!"

The First Vao finished off his steak before tossing the paper plate and plastic fork into the trash, holding out his hands. "Right-o. Watch this..."

Pip's eyes widened when the Darkness swirled at his fingertips, almost dancing like black flames in his palms. And when he brought his hands together, the twin flames formed a vaguely humanoid shape, the figure doing a little twirl before waving.

"Woah, cool! Wot else can you do?"

There weren't many other tricks the First Vao was willing to try. His magic was usually used to kill, not entertain. "Let's just stick with shadow people for now, eh mate? C'mon. Promised I'd teach you how to play chess."

Pip giggled when the First Vao ruffled the feathers on his head, skipping after him. He was having a hard time believing someone so friendly was responsible for what happened to Raven. In fact, Pip didn't believe it. The First Vao had proven to be nothing short of the father figure he had always dreamed of having.

Far down the twisting streets inside the inn, Violet was growing impatient. She groaned, knocking on the bathroom door. "You shittin' bricks or somethin', bruv? I'm really tired!"

There was no answer. Violet knocked again, this time a bit angrily.

"Pip! Don't ignore me!"

Silence. Violet finally had enough. She didn't care if he was finished or not, she was dragging him out so she could change shifts with Midori. She twisted the knob and pushed the door open - not like Pip could've locked it. He didn't have fingers.

But to her shock, the bathroom was empty. It didn't take more than a second for Violet to look at the fluttering curtains, disturbed by the wind that came from the open window. Her heart sank in her chest.

If Pip was going for a walk, it wouldn't be necessary for him to jump out a window. She spun around on her heel and raced down the halls, the chance of falling back asleep disappearing long before she pushed her way into the room, the door slamming against the rubber doorstop. The adventurers lifted their heads, squinting into the light that fell from the open door. Violet wiped at her eyes, racing to her parents. "M-Mummy! Dad! Pip's gone!"

"He's what?" Yin spoke from his bed. Chuck patted the side of the bed, his eyes going as wide as saucers.

"T-Tim's missing, too!"

The entire room was in chaos in an instant, the adventurers scrambling to get their gear on. Chuck looked like he was about to have a breakdown. Sasha gritted her teeth, pointing at him.

"Calm down! You stay here with Ozpin and Salem! Watch the kids!" She demanded.

"But Tim-"

"We'll find him!" Yin shouted. "Pyrrha, you're with us!"

"Okay!"

Verde threw Vao's head, his body catching and clicking it back on. And together, they raced out into the night.

Ozpin waited until he was sure they were gone before looking at Salem. The princess only nodded before looking back at Chuck. "... Let's go. We're all in this together."

The chubby man wiped at his eyes, looking up at her. "... What about the girls...?"

"They're coming with us," Ozpin growled. "We aren't safe. I have a suspicion that the First Vao knows exactly who we are, and is toying with us."

"But... That can't be possible," Midori said quietly. "My illusions-"

"That knife game the other day," Ozpin interrupted. "Yin stabbed his hand... In the First Timeline, Yin was bit. I wouldn't be surprised if he recognized the taste."

Salem nodded curtly. "... Let's go. We're going off on our own search."

There was no argument. Together, the last of the adventurers left the room, and into the cold dark streets.

...

Tim trembled in his binds. He almost didn't recognize his daughter. Her head scarred from the clippers, her once-perfect skin scratched and bruised. Mono hummed, waving her hand to Saril.

"You may free him and continue on about your day."

The arachne giddily swiped her fingernail across the silk strands, Tim spilling from the cocoon. "Kay-kay! I'm going to go play with Jack!"

The door slammed shut behind them, Tim shakily standing to his feet. He felt his heart breaking. His fears had come true. Mono smiled politely, stepping out of the way. "Mr. Burgundy... It is so nice of you to join us..."

Tim didn't answer, his boots dragging across the ground. "A... A-Alice..."

The bald girl trembled, her eyes beginning to water. "D-daddy! D-don't go near her!"

Mono chuckled, pressing a palm to her cheek. "Oh, how sweet... She's worried for your safety. How very sweet."

Tim looked up at the monoeye, his blood beginning to boil. His eyes scanned the room, finally resting on the bloodied tools she used to torture his daughter. And finally, back to the smiling woman who did it, her single eye staring at him with an almost challenging, yet polite stare.

"Fufufu... What is wrong?" She cooed. "Isn't this a wonderful family reunion? You're reunited with your missing daughter, after all."

Tim let out a scream, charging at her. He wanted to kill her. He wanted to make her pay. Alice shrieked, struggling against her binds.

"No! Daddy! You can't beat her!"

Tim's hands grabbed at empty air in an instant, Mono standing behind him. He could feel a burning sensation crawling over his skin. He stumbled forward, staring down at his stomach. Blood soaked through his armor, lacerations covering his arms and legs. And behind him, Mono chuckled darkly.

"Just a second too late..."

Blood squirted from his wounds, Tim dropping to his knees. In an instant, Moni had wounded him. The Cult leader stepped towards Alice, lifting the chair upright. A knife was clenched in her hands, pressing against the side of her nose.

"How far will you push yourself for dear Alice?" She mocked with a hint of another giggle. "Will you try and fight? Ill advised, I assure you..."

Tim's legs trembled, straining to support his weight as he stood up, glaring at her with hatred. He charged again, his fist swinging for Mono's large grey eye.

Splat.

Blood dribbled down his chin, Mono standing behind him again. Only this time, the mark she left was worse. A hole had been carved into his stomach, the guardsman collapsing to the ground. He couldn't get back up. He could barely think. He never saw Mono move, and yet she still attacked him. And when he looked at the maid uniform she wore, his heart thundered when he didn't see a drop of blood staining the white apron. Mono looked back at him, her lips curling into a cruel smirk.

"... It's too late for you, Timothy. You never stood a chance. I doubt you could even comprehend my capabilities. Alice has had more time, and she still can't comprehend it."

Tim struggled to pull himself away as the Cult leader took agonizingly slow steps towards him, her dress shoes tapping softly against the scarlet-stained floor.

"... I have a thought," Mono said curiously. "You still struggle to eat, don't you Alice?"

The girl's heart sank, the color draining from her face. "N-no... P-please, M-Miss Mono..."

Mono bent down, her fingers curling into Tim's hair. He tried to punch her, but in an instant his arm bent backwards before he could even raise it, before he could even make a fist. The sound of his bones snapping sent pain rocketing through his body, spit and blood trickling down his lips. And in another instant, his arm had been sawed off. Mono didn't even have a saw. She dropped him to the floor, stepping towards Alice and pulling the sleeve away.

"Open wide, Alice... It's dinner time."

Alice clenched her teeth shut, screaming for help. Mono was going to force her to eat her own father. The Cult leader frowned, her cold fingers grabbing her victim by the chin and squeezing her mouth open. Alice moved her tongue as far back in her mouth as it would go, hot tears falling from her cheeks, the veins in her arms bulging as she tried desperately to fight against the restraints that held her wrists in place. Tim's arm was already in her mouth, and with another smirk from Mono, she felt a force hit her chin. Like she had been punched.

Her teeth chewed through the meat, her father's flesh sitting in her mouth. Mono's smirk only grew.

Alice choked and gagged, the bite sliding down her throat without any logical explanation. Further, further until her body reacted and swallowed the first bite. Alice shrieked and panted, trying to throw it up. Tim crawled across the ground, trying to stop Mono. His hand flailed, finally grabbing her ankle.

The Cult leader's smile fell in an instant, turning her head to give Tim the scariest look he had ever seen in a person's face. Pulling her foot away, Mono drove her heel into his nose, crushing the cartilage like a twig.

CRACK!

CRACK!

Alice closed her eyes, sobbing hysterically. Mono was kicking Tim's face in, shattering the bones that made up his features. She kicked until it was nothing but mush, brain matter leaking into the floor. Mono chuckled lightly, her foot slamming into the corpse until his skull split to pieces. She had murdered Tim. The monoeye turned her glare to Alice, sending fear straight into her heart.

The restraints exploded from Alice's wrists and ankles, the girl dropping to the ground. Mono grabbed her by the ears and dragged her across the floor, closer to the corpse. The monoeye pushed Alice's face into what was left of Tim's head, her smile widening.

"Eat," she ordered calmly. "My body belongs to Milord, and he dared to touch me. Pay for his mistakes, and eat from his flesh, Alice."

She pried the girl's mouth open, forcing the horrible mix of blood, brain, and skull fragment down her throat. It didn't stop until every last bit was licked up, destroying what was left of Alice's mental health. Mono finally dropped her, Tim's remains suddenly blasting away and hitting the wall with a sickening squelch.

Mono stalked in circles around Alice, the poor girl huddled into a ball. A husk of her former self, shivering and sobbing. She had eaten her father. She had eaten her father. It was the only thing she could think of.

"... I am sure you've noticed by now," Mono said softly. "But Milord is very dear to me. He's the only one who never minded my power. Treated me like a person."

The screwdriver slammed through her cheeks, pinning Alice to the floor. The girl cried and scratched, trying to pull it out. Mono chuckled, the Cult leader's bloody heel grinding against her bald head.

"I love him. More than anyone else," she cooed. "He isn't aware of everything I do, but I'll kill for him... Isn't that the purest form of love? To get rid of any and all competition who stands in the way?"

Mono was sick. She was proving to be worse with every action she made. The monoeye leaned down, whispering into her ear.

"... I do not care who stands in my way," she said softly. "Human, elf, dwarf, nonhuman... None of them could ever beat me. Lord Vao was the only one who overcame my ability. He never feared me once. When I found myself isolated even in the Cult, he approached me. Took me to dinner. It was the first time I was ever treated like a person; something my own parents couldn't bring themselves to do. He taught me to love this ability I was born with. And for that, I owe him everything. I will give everything."

Alice trembled as the tendrils slipped from behind Mono's back. Her Blood was making its first appearance, driving Alice closer to insanity. Mono smirked, standing up straight.

"Oh, Alice... Our fun is only just beginning."

The tendrils lifted Alice from the ground, her legs dangling limply. She was set back in her chair, new ropes tied to her wrists and ankles in an instant. Mono sighed, smoothing out her maid outfit. The blood disappeared from her foot immediately, as if she had just washed her clothes. The Cult leader turned to the door, walking towards the exit.

"But I am afraid there are other things I need to tend to. Pip will be spending time with Milord tonight, and I wish to be there." She pulled the door open, turning back to Alice. Her lips had curled into a smile that showed the whites of her teeth, her single eye staring at the broken mess of a girl. "... Until next time, Alice."

When the door closed, Alice could only scream in the pitch black darkness.

...

The adventurers shivered in the cold air of the early morning, Yin stepping closer to Sasha for warmth. The giant raised an eyebrow at him. "... What are you doing?"

"You're big... You're warmer."

If it weren't for the eternal darkness that covered the city, the sun would be rising by now. In their yards, Cultists tended to their gardens and took out trash, paying no mind to the adventurers. The five searched the ever-growing crowd, looking for their missing friends. But there was no sign of them. It was as if they had just disappeared. They weren't aware of the two small eyes staring out at them from the alley, the doll following further behind, listening to their conversation.

Pyrrha was sweating, her fingers fidgeting with each other. "... D-do you think they're hurt?"

"Hope not," Yin muttered.

"But knowing who we're going up against, be prepared for anything," Verde finished. "We still need to find Summer. We still have no idea where she's been locked away. Does anyone have a theory?"

There was one collective theory. With how important Summer was to the First Vao, she was no doubt locked up wherever he was living. But they didn't know where his house was; according to the Cult, he didn't live in anything that stood out. That only made their search more difficult.

The doll's small feet tapped against the cobblestone, jumping behind a streetlight when Vao turned to grab his pipe from one of the pouches of his armor, lighting it up and taking a breath to calm his nerves. The doll didn't continue to follow. Its marble eyes stared blankly ahead, watching the adventurers leave. And when they were out of earshot, it ran to the left, cutting through an alley.

Through the dark, cramped corridor, it came to a halt at a pair of black boots, looking up at its creator. Ruby bent down and leaned closer, her face expressionless, yet expecting. "... What did you hear, Natalie?"

The doll moved her hands, signing her answer. Ruby hummed, picking Natalie up in her hands and standing up.

"... I see. So it may be time to act. I do hope Milord has had enough time with my nephew..."

Ruby set her doll down upon her shoulder, her boots clicking down the alley as she made her way through Grimmore. Knowing the way by heart, it didn't take her long to reach the ramshackle home, the windows boarded up. A fitting shack for a serial killer was his reasoning behind it. Stepping to the door, she didn't bother knocking. She invited herself inside, stepping into the dark halls where even the light of the moon couldn't illuminate.

She could almost envision the black hands reaching for her, as if welcoming the uninvited guest. Using her hand to guide her along the wall, she walked blindly yet confidently, until her hand slipped through an open gap. A door in the very heart of the shack - his room.

The Darkness parted only to give light for Pip, the harpy struggling to beat the First Vao in a game of chess. Mono was sitting at the table too, quietly sipping from a cup of tea and occasionally giving tips to Pip. It didn't matter against someone who had played for years, though.

"... Lord Vao, Milady," Ruby interrupted softly. The First Vao looked up, Mono rising to her feet and approaching the High Priestess.

"Milord is occupied at the moment," she said politely. "Is this a matter I can assist you with?"

"It is important," Ruby replied. "This is a discussion the three of us should discuss immediately."

Mono looked back at the serial killer, the First Vao grunting when he stood up. "... Stay here, Pip. Dad's got some business. Don't try moving the pieces around; I'll know."

"Okay!"

The First Vao teleported around Mono, leading them back into the dark halls. His boots were heavy against the old wooden floors, his single eye finally turning to face Ruby. The Aura in his eye socket was the only thing that cut through his own Darkness, granting him sight. "Wot is this about? I'm almost done with Pip."

Ruby took a deep breath, her nerves spiking. "... Yin and Salem have begun digging their noses where they ought not to. They are aware we are being hunted, and I do believe they have begun to actively search for Summer rather than go off rumors."

The First Vao's smile fell. "... I figured they'd get it, eventually," he muttered. He stroked his chin, thinking to himself and listening to the voice he held dear, yet couldn't be heard by others.

(("... Hunt them. This game of cat and mouse ends now."))

The First Vao nodded, glancing at Mono. "... Jasper. Bring Jasper here," he said softly. "It's time for her Blessing. Ruby?"

The High Priestess bowed politely, Natalie almost falling off her shoulder. "Yes, My Lord?"

"Have Jack tail them for a while. And there should be a little girl with the adventurers; hit the one wearing a witch's hat. Mono tells me that she's the one keeping the illusion. One good punch should break the illusion. Have Saril clean them up."

"Not kill her?"

The First Vao shook his head, his lips twitching into a smirk. "No... I've got plans for her. I really hate being fooled, even if I wasn't fooled in the first place. Getting tricked reminds me of wot Salem did to me. You get it, right? You're dismissed if you do."

"Of course, My Lord."

Ruby spun on her heel, her dress fanning out as she ran into the Darkness. The First Vao turned to Moni, his smirk growing.

"I'll deal with Pip. Just a little more magic, and I can control his movements myself."

Mono bowed. "Of course, Milord. Before I go, I just have one question."

The First Vao seemed confused. "Wot is it?"

Mono's cheeks dusted red, pinching her chin gently. "What do you look for in a partner?"

"P... Partner? Like my weapon?" The First Vao asked. His lack of social skills was showing. Mono shook her head.

"No, I mean in a romantic sense, Milord," she reiterated. "Such as that Cinder traitor you've mentioned before."

The First Vao found that to be a very odd question that had nothing to do with the current situation. But he decided to just go along with it. "... I guess someone who doesn't judge me," he replied softly. "Someone who... Who'll be there for me, and let me be there for them... Sometimes, I just feel like I need to be told everything is going to be okay..."

Mono's lips curled into a smirk, stepping close to him, cupping her cold hand against his colder cheek. "Like this, Milord?" She cooed softly before leaning close, her lips brushing his earlobe.

"Everything... Will be alright."

The First Vao jumped, snapping his fingers. "Yeah, yeah! Like that!" He exclaimed. "That's the kind of relationship I want... I should start my work on Pip. Take care, Mono."

The Cult leader stood stupefied as the serial killer jogged down the halls. He really didn't know how to talk to people. The monoeye sighed quietly, vanishing in an instant without a trace.

...

The fairies circled Pock, their tiny teeth digging into her flesh. The goblin shrieked and struggled, her eyes watering. The Primary Sisters watched, Tourmaline and Jasper giving Sapphire a wide berth as she lifted her arms to cheer her friends on. She really didn't smell good.

The fairies were eating Pock alive. She could see the bones inside her dislocated arms and legs, her vision growing blurry. She felt like she was going to pass out.

Mono appeared down below, looking up at the three fairies. "Jasper, Sapphire, Tourmaline. Would you talk for a moment?"

Tourmaline seemed displeased with the thought of talking to Mono, but Jasper and Sapphire were already flying down, leaving the blonde to groan and follow. The ginger fairy raising her eyebrows curiously. "What's up, Boss?"

Mono hummed, tilting her head. "... Milord has asked for you to visit. He says it is time you receive your Blessing."

Jasper's jaw dropped, Sapphire and the other fairies cheering and clapping for her. Tourmaline was still curious. "... Is that all? Can I visit Lord Vao?"

Mono gave the fairy an unfriendly stare. "... While he doubtlessly wouldn't mind the three of you visiting, I must ask; do you intend to do anything foul, whore?"

Tourmaline was furious. "You can't keep his underwear for yourself!"

"I do no such thing," Mono replied calmly. "I am an elegant lady. Something a necrophilic troglodyte such as yourself wouldn't grasp the meaning of. Perhaps that corpse rot finally infected that pitiful head of yours?"

Mono was one of the only four people Jasper wouldn't tell to shut up, regardless how annoying she found the feud between Tourmaline and the Cult leader - the other three being Jack, Ruby, and the First Vao. It could've been worse; Jasper was absolutely certain Mono would've killed Tourmaline if they hadn't been in the Cult together.

"I'm not pitiful, you're pitiful!"

"Splendid comeback. I am grateful you proved my point." Mono huffed, spinning on her heel. "... I do not know who that girl is, but I am assuming you were trying to kidnap Mr. Rose. That isn't Mr. Rose."

"I-it isn't!?" One of the fairies exclaimed sadly. "I knew she didn't taste like a human! I told Sapphire and she just hit me!"

"I bopped 'im good!" Sapphire giggled. Mono hummed, her smirk returning.

"... Make haste, you three. Do not keep Milord waiting for long. Yin and Salem are on the move along with what's left of their pitiful company."

In an instant, Mono was gone. The sisters looked amongst each other before flying through the tree, leaving the fairies to eat Pock alive. High into the air, they soared through the leaves and into the cold air outside, their eyes focused on the ramshackle home on the outskirts of Grimmore. Down and through a window, Jasper's feet were the first to touch the ground, then Sapphire and Tourmaline. Jasper gulped, her tiny feet barely making a sound as they moved into the dark halls, stumbling blindly forward.

The expected sensation of unease washed over them, bringing Jasper and Tourmaline closer together. But Sapphire didn't seem bothered one bit. Perhaps she was brave, or just too stupid to comprehend the concept of fear. The blue fairy walked confidently down the dark halls, her smile as bright as ever.

They could hear voices just through an old door, the sound of something scratching at the other side reaching their small ears. No doubt it was Summer, still trying to escape. Not that she could - not alone, that is. The fairies ignored the sound, continuing deeper. There were holes in the walls from where the First Vao had punched them in his fits of starvation, insects making their homes inside the pits. Tourmaline shuddered when she saw a cockroach the size of her body crawl inside one of them, averting her gaze.

And finally, they could see into the room where the First Vao sat in front of Pip, the chessboard complete. The black pieces the serial killer played had the white king surrounded, a perfect checkmate. And yet that didn't keep their attention for very long. What took their eyes away from the board game so quickly was Pip lying face down on the floor, the First Vao hunched over him. His Darkness spilled from his hands, trickling into the harpy's ears and into his small body.

"L... Lord Vao...?"

Jasper's voice was quiet, but enough for the murderer to hear her. He glanced over his shoulder, the flame-like Aura in the socket of his left eye flickering in the darkness. His pale lips curled into a soft, yet dangerous smirk. "Oh... That didn't take long. That didn't take long at all."

The fairies stepped deeper into the room, staring up at him as the First Vao rose to his feet, towering over the four inch tall species. Jasper gulped. She was nervous. Like many Cultists, she knew what the Blood could do. "... I-I... Was told by Boss that you would give me the Blessing, Lord Vao..."

The First Vao nodded, dropping to all fours to get a better look at them. "That's right. I'm afraid we were too hasty with our games, and a fight might happen soon. But I think you're ready. How do you feel? Any questions?"

Jasper nodded slowly. "Just... Just one, Lord Vao..."

"Wot is it?"

Jasper looked up at that single red eye that stared back at her, his thoughts indecipherable. "... I don't want to turn into an abomination," she almost whispered. "I-I understand you know what you're doing, but I'm still nervous..."

The First Vao stared at her in silence, his face unmoving. Inside his ear, the voice whispered.

(("... What will you do? Give her what she wants? Or continue forward for your dream?"))

The First Vao had already made up his mind before the voice started speaking. "... Of course. Now, come here."

Jasper stepped forward, climbing into his outstretched palm. The First Vao stood up, lifting her high into the air. The Blood began to well in his eye socket, dripping down the side of his face. Jasper shakily held out her hands, letting it pool in her palms. If she drank it, she knew there was very little that could reverse it.  But at the same time, she trusted him. She brought her lips closer, slurping down the thick, viscous and tar-like ooze. She could feel it writhing in her small body, making her head spin. The First Vao snickered, turning to Pip.

"... Pip... Are you ready?"

The harpy's wing twitched, his back arching as he sat up on his knees. And finally, he turned to the First Vao. His smile had been corrupted, twisted not by Blood, but the First Vao's cruel magic.

"... I'm... Ready, Dad," he croaked. The First Vao grinned, tossing Jasper into the air and letting her fly.

"Good! Then all preparations have been made! Pip, you can take care of that Midori girl. Kill her, eat her, I don't care. Just break the illusion. When that happens, Yin'll be occupied with Saril. If she can get him to Ruby and turned into a doll, we'll have the Hero of Light's power backing us up. If she fails... Well, Jasper... You and your sisters can have your fun. Now, go. I've got business to attend with Jack."

The four nodded, scurrying out of the door. But deep down inside Pip's body, his Soul struggled, bound by the First Vao's magic. He couldn't control his own body, no matter how hard he tried.

He didn't want this. He had come to realize he had made the worst mistake of his life. He had trusted the worst person alive.

Jasper flew through the air with Sapphire and Tourmaline, her sisters celebrating her Blessing. But Jasper didn't feel too good. Her stomach churned and twisted around inside her body, making her feel ill. She wondered if this was a part of the Blessing. She'd come to learn too, that she had made the same mistake as Pip.

On the rooftops of the dark city, Saril crawled around happily, her eyes wide with delight. It was almost time.

The curtains were rising, revealing the final act in Grimmore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 249 29
Here is the fourth volume of this fanfiction. (Keep in mind that this whole story and fanfic is based on Celtic Phoenix's Fixing RWBY series.) (Discl...
508 28 14
Following on from my previous fan-fics - 'The Dead Mountain' and 'Icy Tomb' (so you should read those first if you haven't already!), 'Fall' follows...
209K 3.4K 62
This story is discontinued ( I don't own rwby or any picture in this fanfiction)
8.8K 270 47
Here is the fifth volume of this fanfiction I'm doing. (Keep in mind that this whole story and fanfic I'm doing is based on Celtic Phoenix's Fixing R...