Take Your Time

By ccj-11

What happens when you are in high school trying to figure out who you are and what your purpose in the world... More

Take Your Time
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Endgame

Chapter 27

1.1K 34 4
By ccj-11

No POV

"Katie, Peyton and Caitlin, I need you guys to come here." Coach Harris calls out as the Eagles end their last practice of the season.

The three girls walk up to him, waiting to see what he wants.

"They are doing a blog video with each team. They wanted me to pick a couple players to participate in it." He points to the three of them. "You three are the lucky ones."

Katie looks the most excited. "When is it?"

"Now." He points to where they need to go. "They have everything set up over there under the tent. They will explain more."

The girls nod and walk away, but the coach has one more comment.

"Peyton, please wear your sweatshirt for the video."

Katie laughs as they head to the tent.

Peyton walks beside Caitlin. "Are you okay?" She can't gauge how she is doing since McKenna basically outed her to their teammates.

"I am good." Caitlin smiles. "To be honest, I am glad McKenna did that. I mean, she could have gone about it a different way and not in front of the coach but I don't care nor am I mad about it."

They got in the tent and there was a small couch for them to sit on.

"For your blog, we are going to have you guys answer questions from the bowl. You will go back and forth pulling out a slip of paper and then you will all answer. None of us will be in the video. It will just be you three."

The video starts recording and they begin with the questions.

Katie reaches into the bowl and pulls out a slip. "What is your favorite pizza topping?"

"Pineapple and pepperoni." Peyton answers first.

Caitlin looks disgusted. "Who puts pineapple on pizza? Pepperoni is my favorite, but you can keep the pineapple on your side."

"Who says I'm sharing a pizza with you?" Peyton winks and Katie rolls her eyes at the two flirting. "Katie you have to have my back on this. Pineapple on pizza is the best, isn't it?"

Both girls look at Katie waiting for her to answer.

"Sorry Caitlin, I would have to agree with Peyton on this." Katie gives Caitlin an unapologetic grin. "However, I wouldn't say that is my favorite. Load my pizza with just cheese and I am happy."

Caitlin shakes her head disagreeing with both of them.

Peyton puts her hand in now and pulls out the second slip. "What is your least favorite subject?" Peyton reads off. "I got this for everyone. Caitlin's is pre-calculus. Katie's is AP Chemistry. If I have to choose one for myself it would be any History course."

Everyone who knows Caitlin knows what her least favorite subject is so it wasn't a surprise Peyton knew. It was a surprise to both Caitlin and Katie that she knew what Katie's least favorite subject was.

"Are you in my mind?" Katie questions Peyton as she reaches in the bowl for the next question, skipping Caitlin's turn to choose. "Ok there is no way we will have the same answer for this or you know this about me. What's one song that you'll always remember the words to?"

Caitlin and Peyton both take a moment to think so Katie answers first as she had an answer right away.

"Call Me Maybe, I can sing that song forward or backwards." Katie

"I kissed a girl by Katy Perry." Peyton's answer lands her a smack by Katie.

"You would say that."

Peyton didn't like that comment so she picked another song. "I Wish I Never by Kehlani."

"I don't think I know that one." Katie comments. "Your turn Caitlin."

Caitlin thinks hard and then a smile appears as a core memory of her and McKenna appears in head. "Best Friend by Saweetie and Doja Cat. That is McKenna and I's song."

"Oh god it's true." Katie jokingly frowns. "Last season they were always blasting it."

Caitlin grabs the next question before she gets skipped again and reads. "Is there an athlete that you look up to as a role model?"

"Easy." Peyton didn't need to think on this one. "Christen Press and Sam Kerr."

Katie nods her head. "I don't like how I agree with you. It scares me." She sarcastically says. "I would add Alex Morgan."

Caitlin takes a deep breath. "I guess I'll be the only one with the non soccer players." Caitlin nervously laughs. "For me, I would say Sis Bates and Skylar Wallace. Both softball players if you haven't heard of them."

"Softball?" Peyton questions. "Why softball players?"

Caitlin looks over at the girl questioning her. "Softball is my favorite sport, not soccer."

"Ouch." Peyton puts her hand to heart. "After everything we have been through this season? Do you still like another sport more? The betrayal"

"Yeah." Caitlin laughs at Peyton's dramatics.

The questions kept going and soon the girls were done and able to carry on their day.

Jordyn POV

"Why do you look so stressed babe?" My wife asks me as I finish getting ready for lunch with our kids. "You are going to end up with a head full of gray with the way you are going."

If it wasn't for getting my hair done regularly, I would probably be rocking gray hair already. They way my two keep me on my toes.

"What are we doing wrong?" I sigh in frustration as I take a seat on the empty bed that is in our room.

Logan left the second he woke up this morning. He claims he wanted to go work out. I usually would believe him, but something has been off with him. He typically tells me everything but he is now starting to act like Caitlin when she got back from camp.

"Why do you feel like we are doing something wrong?" Paige questions as she takes a seat across from me on our bed. "We are raising teenagers."

"Why doesn't Logan talk to us? Why won't Caitlin talk to me?" I narrow my eyes in frustration. "She told both you and Callie that she liked Peyton, but came to me last. Why doesn't she trust me like she trusts you guys?"

Paige takes a second before talking. "It probably has to do with the attachment process she built when she was younger. Everyone says Caitlin tells me more and Logan tells you more. We both want to deny it, but we both know it's true. As for her telling Callie, we should feel blessed we have someone in our lives that our kids trust. You shouldn't think of it as if you are doing something wrong as a parent."

I hear what she is saying, but it doesn't help how I am feeling. "So why isn't she talking to us? Why did she tell us about liking Peyton and treat us like we did something wrong? I don't understand why she is being like this?"

"She is a teenager." Paige tries giving Caitlin's actions an excuse. "She is figuring out her sexuality. We both know that's not easy. Let's see how she is at lunch."

"Okay, but I am telling you, I can't take much more of her avoiding us."

Paige takes my hand in hers and helps me to my feet. "Me either babe."

We headed to the main floor where we told Caitlin we would meet her. To my surprise, Logan was down there waiting for us already. I was halfway expecting him to skip out.

"You don't look like you have been working out." Paige teases Logan. "What have you been up to?"

"I didn't workout." He states what we already know. "I went for a walk and then came back here. I've been watching Skip and Shannon talk non stop about the dumb Cowboys for three hours."

"Why on earth are you guys talking about the Cowboys?" Caitlin walks up to us.

She gives Paige a hug and then gives me one. When it was my turn, I held on to her a little longer as I just missed her. She pushed us away these past couple of weeks and I just really needed this hug.

The four of us head out of the hotel and walk towards a local diner that is in walking distance.

The walk there was quiet. As we were seated at our table, Logan sat beside me and Caitlin sat beside Paige.

This causes Paige to look at me and mouth the words "told you".

"So how did your last practice go?" I ask Caitlin as I browse through the menu.

I heard a laugh escape her lips and it made my heart feel whole. Again, I've missed her.

"Well, practice was fine for the soccer aspect." I notice a tint of pink forming on her cheek. "But, McKenna told coach I gave Peyton a hickey in front of everyone so now my teammates know."

I look at Caitlin who surprisingly looks very calm.

"How do you feel about that?" Paige asks this time.

Caitlin takes a deep breath. "Honestly, I am fine with it. It's been exhausting running from my feelings these past couple of months and I don't want to hide anymore."

Caitlin looked at both of us and continued talking.

"I don't like who I've been through all of this. I was confused and battling myself. I don't like how I treated you guys, especially since you guys are the ones who know what I am going through the most. I am really sorry."

My eyes go straight to Paige. We share a loving smile as we both turn our attention back to Caitlin.

I reach my hand across the table and put it on hers. "You don't need to be sorry. Like you mention, we understand. We love you."

This causes Logan to butt in. "You are going to let her off the hook that easily?" He huffs. "She has been a bitch to everyone and not to mention she was probably having sex with Peyton last night. You think it's fine just because she is gay like you two?"

My eyes widened in complete disbelief at his outburst. "Logan!"

"Peyton and I have not had sex." Caitlin quickly clarifies.

"Whatever." He grumbles.

"Logan." I say again. "What is wrong with you? You didn't seem right last night when we saw you making out with McKenna and now you are calling your sister the b word. What is happening?"

Before Logan could say anything, Caitlin cuts in. "You were making out with McKenna?"

"They are dating, didn't you know?" I say.

McKenna POV

Since Peyton is still at the field with Katie and Caitlin doing the media interview, I hurry back to our room to get in and out.

Coach gave the team the options to meet for lunch, eat on their own or with your parents if they are around. The only catch is if you don't eat with the team you have to send him a text showing him what you are eating. I don't think he cares what we eat. I think he wants to make sure we eat.

I walk down to the lobby checking my phone as I go.

Logan: What are you doing?

I shake my head. Why is he texting me?

McKenna: I am grabbing lunch.

Logan: With your parents?

McKenna: No.... They didn't stay. They will be at the game, but they didn't take extra time off work.

Logan: Do you want company?

McKenna: No

Logan: Why not?

McKenna: Because you are supposed to be having lunch with Caitlin and your parents

I put my phone in my sweatshirt pocket.

I bump shoulders with someone causing me to stop.

"Halie?" The girl stops walking and looks at me.

"Yeah?" She looks like she is trying to figure out who I am.

"McKenna." I remind her. "I am Peyton's teammate and friend. We met once after our game. You were with your boyfriend."

Halie nods. "I remember."

"What are you doing here?" I question her. "Did you come here for Peyton?"

The question causes the blonde hair girl to laugh. "Peyton isn't the reason I am here. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I will get to see her play tomorrow, but I am here for my sister."

I tilt my head in confusion. "Your sister?"

"Yes. My sister is on the team you are playing. I did graduate from that school, you know." She states matter of fact. "My sister is only a freshman and gets no playing time, but she is on the team."

She went ahead and answered the question I was about to ask. "Are you here by yourself?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to eat lunch with me?"

Halie stares at me unsure what to say. I don't blame her since we are practically strangers.

"Great lets go." I say as I grab a hold of her arm even though she never answered.

A fact about me is I hate being alone. My parents aren't here like a lot of my other teammates' parents. They came for our first game, but they didn't stick around. They didn't even stay long enough to say good job. They left the second they could.

My dad is all about softball. He can be careless about soccer. I would say my mom is the same, just not as crazy as my dad with softball. To be honest, I can care less if they are at my soccer games.

"Do you want to eat at the sports bar here or grab a sandwich at the quick shop?" I question Halie as I let go of her arm. "Are you even hungry? Sorry, go be with your sister."

I go to walk away. This girl must think I am fucking crazy, which right now I feel.

"Sports bar sounds good to me." I turn to look at the girl who is smiling. "I can't check in my room until between three and four, so I have time to kill."

We start walking towards the place. "Why are you here so early then?"

"Last night Olivia begged me to come as early as possible because she is feeling lonely and isolated since she is the only freshman on the team." Halie explains.

She pauses for a second as we tell the hostess a table for two. Once we got our seat she carried on.

"I wasn't planning on coming until the game tomorrow, but she begged so when I woke up this morning, I packed my bags and drove here."

"Aren't you a nice sister?" I comment. "How come you aren't with her then?"

Halie laughs. "That is the kicker. I get here and see a text that says she is basically busy all day and can't see me."

"Shitty." I would be annoyed. "Not to mention you can't even get into your room. Hell, I am surprised they had a room available at this hotel."

She shrugs. "Well, it led me to lunch with you. Who would have thought?"

"What a lucky girl you are, let me tell you." I wink at her. "Why isn't your boyfriend with you?"

"Why aren't you with your team?" She avoids that question fast. "How is it that my sister has team stuff all day, but you're out wandering around by yourself?"

"That's because my coach is just an interim coach because our head coach quit in the middle of post season play." I guess on the reasoning. "For real though, why did you come alone?"

We ordered our drinks causing another delay in her answering. I keep my eyes on her after the waitress walks away so she knows I'll just ask again.

"I broke up with Kyler." She sighs.

"I figured as much. Why, though? When I met you guys at our game you seemed pretty happy, especially when we thought he was a guy and all since he is going through his transition. It wasn't that long ago we met." I point out.

"If you want me to be blunt, I like having sex with girls. Therefore, I like going down on girls." She goes in detail. "I should not have been in that relationship with him and kept it as friends, but I didn't know until I was in it that it wasn't for me. I just wish I could have avoided the aftermath. He was verbally abusive when I wanted out. It was a nightmare."

I reach across the table and put my hand on hers. "I'm sorry. No one deserves that."

"Thanks. I don't have any contact with him, so I am good now." Halie looks down at where my hand is still on hers. She brings her green eyes back up and I pull my hand away. "Why are you here with me? Why aren't you with anyone from your team or family?"

"You got blessed with running into me because my parents hate soccer, so they won't be here until tomorrow's game. Caitlin is having lunch with her family and I kind of outed her at practice, so I am avoiding her and Peyton."

"How do you manage to kind-of out someone?"

"Maybe I shouldn't tell you. You might not want to be friends with me after."

"You're stuck with me now." She playfully threatens. "What did you do?"

I take a drink of my water then tell her. "Caitlin gave Peyton a hickey last night. Coach spotted it and asked where she got it from. I told him in front of our team it was Caitlin."

"Savage." Halie looks at me with curious eyes. "Why did you feel the need to tell your coach and to do it in front of your team?"

This leads to me explaining my whole night with Logan. When I say explain everything, I mean everything. I felt like I needed to tell someone about what he told me, and I know I can't tell Caitlin or Peyton, so here I am telling Halie.

"Caitlin is my best friend for life but sometimes I wish I had someone I can talk to or chill with that is outside my friend circle." I pick at my food. "Now that Cat and Peyton are seemingly on good terms and Caitlin is out, they hopefully start dating. I don't want to be a third wheel all the time."

Halie looks at me and gives me a smile. "Spokane is huge. Your school is huge. You can easily have a friend or friends outside your typical friend circle."

"I know." I sigh. "I just want someone to talk to about things and be there whenever. Cat and I are bad at that for each other. We don't open up to each other that easily to one another. Look how long it took her to tell me about Peyton. I don't know. I am kind of rambling. I also just want new experiences outside of my school."

Halie points to my phone. "Unlock your phone and hand it to me."

I lift my phone up and after it recognizes my face, I hand it to her. "What are you doing?"

"I am putting my number in here." She says as she types. Once she was done, she handed it back. "If you want to text me or call, you have my number now. We can be friends if you want. I know how to be there for someone. Hell, I am sitting in a hotel because my sister needed me here and she can't even see me because she is busy. Plus, I know how to have a good time as well. It's your call."

I stare right at her. "What about Peyton? Aren't you guys' still friends and hanging out? That wouldn't really break the friend circle I am trying for."

"Peyton and I hardly talk. We have hung out once. If she texts me, I will text her back. I won't lie." Halie states. "I don't think a true active friendship is what Peyton wants with me. I can be wrong, but I don't know. I think it's just too hard on her because of her sister."

I can understand that. "Ok, so do you think she would get mad if we were friends?"

"I don't understand how anyone has a right to be mad over people being friends with someone." Halie has a point. "Look, we don't have to be friends. I was just offering."

"I want to." I say it a little too quickly. "I'd just rather not tell Peyton. If she finds out, then she finds out. My point is I want to have something on my own if that makes sense."

Halie takes a deep breath in. "I understand."

"One more thing."

"Yeah?" She tilts her head.

"I am straight."

This causes her to laugh. "Are you sure about that?"

"Why would I not be sure?"

"The fact you had to mention it. Have you ever kissed a girl?" She asks and I shake my head no. There was one time I did, but... "You are missing out."

"Oh, am I?" I try to hold back from smiling. "Have you ever kissed a guy?"

"Before coming out yes, also I have after coming out and trust me I am not missing out." She smirks. "All I am saying is how can you be so sure about something if you never experienced the other?"

Her comment for some reason made me think of Logan and how he pissed me off last night telling his parents we were dating or how it's complicated. Maybe guys do suck or maybe I am just thinking that because I am mad.

"What are you doing next weekend?" I changed the subject. "It's my first weekend in what feels like forever without a sport. Are there any parties we could go to and hangout at."

Halie's phone starts buzzing, but she doesn't answer it. "There is always a party going on somewhere." She looks at her phone again as it's going off. "My sister is calling. I am going to have to probably have to pay for food and go now so I can see her while she has a second of free time. Text me if you are serious about wanting to do something next weekend."

A part of me was sad she had to go. This might have been my first time talking to her one on one, but I liked it, and I didn't want it to end.

"Ok. I will see you around." I watch as she gets up and goes to our waitress. She gives the waitress her card and she answers her phone. I see Halie walk out of the sports bar still on the phone.

I stay seated waiting for the waitress to bring me my ticket. It wasn't long before she approached the table.

"You are good to go whenever." She tells me. "No rush."

"I haven't paid for my stuff." I remind her.

"Your friend paid for it." She says as she walks off.

I get up from the table and walk out.

I look down at my phone that I have ignored the whole time we have been there besides when I gave it to Halie to put her number in.

I have a couple missed texts from Logan, Caitlin, Peyton and my dad.

For now, I ignore all of them and go to the newest contact in my phone.

McKenna: You didn't have to do that

I wasn't expecting Halie to respond right away, but she does.

Halie: I wanted to :) Can you send me a picture? I am OCD and need to put a picture on your contact's name

I laugh out loud causing the person walking by me to look at me strangely.

I sent her a picture from my camera roll.

McKenna: <attach file>
McKenna: I guess you will have to do the same thing

Halie: <attach file>

I look at the picture she sent. It's not fair to be that beautiful.

McKenna: You are beautiful. It's really not fair.

It wasn't long before I was at the door to my room. Before putting the keycard up, I take a couple of deep breaths to prepare myself for an earful of Peyton if she is in there or if Caitlin is in there as well.

I scan my card and my eyes go straight to Peyton's bed where it is occupied by the girl.

"Hey." I speak first to show I am not avoiding her. "How was lunch with you dad? I am kind of surprised you are back before me."

Peyton glances at her phone then to me. "It was good besides walking there and back." Her answer causes my eyes to fall to her knee that has ice on it once again. "Where have you been? I know you didn't go with the coaches and the few players who tagged along with them."

I walk over to my bed and plop down on it. "I went off by myself."

"And you were gone longer than me?" She raises her brow at me. "I had to stay at the field to do that interview thing and I ate with my dad, not at the hotel might I add, and I am back in our room before you."

I grab my phone and tap my fingers on the outside of it. "I ran into someone and had lunch with them." I tried to stay coy. "We ate and talked. I guess time just went by."

"Who was it? Do I know them?" Peyton looks more curious as she keeps prying.

I shrug my shoulders. "You know everyone it seems." I slightly tease. "Did you eat lunch with just your dad or did someone else come along?"

"Cait."

I cut her off. "I don't mean Caitlin. I know she was eating with her family."

"Who else would we eat with then?" She looks irritated.

Just how quickly that bothered her, she isn't going to be happy when she finds out about her dad and Callie.

"No one." I unlock my phone as I see a message appear. "I don't know what I was saying."

I click open Halie's message, still ignoring Logan's texts that he has sent.

Halie: I can say the same to you.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" My head snaps to Peyton who is still looking at me. "Are you texting your boyfriend?"

"My boyfriend?"

"You know." She takes the ice off her knee and throws the bag towards the trash can before going on. "For someone who was so hell bent on Logan, I am surprised you didn't tell me this morning you guys are in a relationship. I had to hear from Caitlin in a text message."

What the fuck. "Freaking Chancellor." I mumble.

"What was that?" Peyton questions.

I don't respond. I look at my phone and click on Logan's name.

Logan: Can I see you?
Logan: Please?
Logan: Why are you ignoring me?
Logan: Please answer... My parents told Caitlin we are dating.
Logan: MCKENNA

McKenna: This is your fault you know.
Logan: I know, but maybe it's a blessing.
McKenna: A blessing?
Logan: Yeah... my parents already think we are dating... So maybe we should give it a try?

I can't respond back to him. I don't know what to say right now. I don't feel anything is genuine, not the way I want it to be.

"Can I ask you a random question?" I set my phone down and look at Peyton. "Your first girlfriend, you were two years apart in school, right? Does that mean she is 19 or 20?"

Peyton tilts her head, and I can see the wheels turning. "Are you talking about Halie?" I nod. "She is 18. She has a late summer birthday. Why are you asking me about her?"

"I was just curious." I stay neutral. "Do you think if you guys were still together now, your age difference would be weird? She is 18 and you are..." Shit, I am a bad friend. "How old are you? I don't think I know when your birthday is." I obviously know she is 16 or 17.

Peyton lightly chuckles. "I am 17. My birthday is September 23. I don't think it would be weird at all. It's not that big of an age gap."

Oh right, I knew that about her birthday.

"But she is in college now." I point out. "You don't think that has any effect on the minimal age difference?"

"No?" She looks at me a little confused. "Why are you asking me this? You do know Halie and I would never date again, right?"

A smile forms on my lips. "That's good to hear. Caitlin and you are cute. When you guys get along that is. I mean the tension between you guys is kind of hot, but I like it better when we aren't all walking on eggshells."

This causes a pillow to be thrown at my head.

"By the way." I say as I throw the pillow back. "My birthday is next weekend. So, we better be celebrating a state championship."

Halie and Logan are practically the same age then. Logan's birthday is September 1. I guess I don't know when Halie's birthday exactly is, but still.

"What really made you think of Halie?" Peyton questions again. "She doesn't seem like someone you would randomly ask about."

I sit up and get ready to get off my bed. "We are playing your old school, aren't we?" I asked a rhetorical question. "It randomly made me think about how you said you guys dated. It made me think about your age gap. Also made me curious if she would be at the game. Does she still have friends that still go there? Does she have family on the team? Will Cat freak out?"

Did I play that off good enough? I don't think so.

"I think Halie's sister is still in 8th grade." Peyton looks to be thinking as she looks at her phone now. "Oh shit."

I look at her from across the room now. I got up to move around to try to make my face harder to read. "What?"

"Olivia, which is Halie's sister, is on the team." Peyton looks surprised. "How did I not realize this when we were watching them play?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Maybe she doesn't actually get playing time? Maybe you should concentrate on your boo thing."

"Yeah maybe." Peyton sets her phone down.

"Are you going to see if Halie is coming to the game now?" I am curious to see where Peyton stands with her. I know she says she won't date her, but maybe she would want to meet up with her if she knew Halie was here.

"No." Peyton adjusted herself on the bed. "I don't think I need to. If her sister is playing, she will probably be there regardless. That is just who she is since it's a big game. She always shows up."

I smile at that. "So how come she shows up to a couple of our games for you and then you don't talk about her at all? What is that about?"

"I am not sure what you are searching for, McKenna. There is a lot of history there because we dated, and she was my sister's best friend." She sighs. "When Brooklyn died it was hard to be around Halie without thinking of my sister. We broke up and basically didn't talk again until I texted her a couple weeks ago."

"I am honestly just curious." I told her. "When you saw her at our game, you were really excited, so it's a bit strange to me that you aren't keeping in contact with her more especially knowing she lives in our city."

Peyton's eyes stay glued on me. "Are you wanting me to reach out to her? Are you trying to make Caitlin mad?"

"No and no." I quickly answer and change the subject. "Do you think I am pretty?"

"Are you okay McKenna?" Peyton now looks worried. "Yes, I think you are very attractive. I have always thought so from the day I saw you at tryouts."

"Is that why you came to my house after?" I joke. "Were you trying to get with me?"

Peyton rolls her eyes. "You asked me to come over and you wouldn't take no for an answer if I remember correctly."

"True." I laugh. "I can't wait to tell Caitlin you think I am cute."

"She already knows." Peyton claims. "She thinks it too."

"Oh."

"Why are you being weird? Something is off with you." Peyton looks concerned. "Tell me what's going on. Please?"

Just so Peyton doesn't think I am losing my mind completely, I decide to tell her the small truth. "While I was out, I saw Halie. That is why her name and questions are in my head."

"She's at this hotel?"

"Where else would I have seen here?" I shoot back. "Are you going to meet up with her now or text her?"

A part of me hopes she will say yes because I know that would mean she would be coming to our room because Peyton won't want to walk on her leg so then I can see her again. Unfortunately, I already know what she is going to say.

"No. I need to rest my leg and I like being on good terms with Caitlin." She smiles saying my best friend's name. "She isn't mad at you by the way, so don't avoid her."

"She's not mad at me about outing her or for her brother?"

"I have no idea how she feels about Logan and you. You don't look like someone who just got the guy she has been talking about non stop either." Peyton is obviously not blind. "She isn't mad about you outing her at practice. A little embarrassed you did it in front of coach, but not mad."

I go back and lay on my bed. "I only did it because Logan told me people at school know. They heard us talking at lunch before we left to come here."

"Can I ask you a question about Caitlin?" Peyton's voice gets all serious. "After the season she had this year and still having one more year, do you think Caitlin will still pick softball over soccer in college?"

Is Peyton already worried about college? How cute. "Most definitely. Caitlin is a beast at softball and softball is better anyway."

"Caitlin is probably the best goalie I have seen, and I have been playing club since I was in 5th grade. She has only played the position for one season." Peyton gets very animated. "How can she possibly still want to play softball or pick softball?"

I try to keep my composure because I know she is being serious, but it's cute and funny at the same time. "Peyton, you haven't seen her play softball. Hell, you don't even know softball Caitlin. She is better at it, trust me. You also are going to love her in uniform, trust me."

I wonder if Halie has a thing for athletes or if she played any sports herself.

"Why are you smiling at yourself? What is going through your head?"

I wipe the smile off my face. "Nothing."

"Come on McKenna. We are having a good friend chat." Peyton points out. "Let me in a little."

No POV

"Holy shit." McKenna, who is stretching alongside Peyton and Caitlin scans the bleachers. "This place is packed."

The stadium was filled shoulder to shoulder with fans. Both student sections are very well represented.

"This is awesome." Caitlin's eyes lit up as she has never been a part of anything like this before.

Peyton takes an opportunity to show how soccer is better than softball, at least in her eyes.

"You won't get a crowd like this in softball I bet." Peyton gets off the ground after she finishes stretching. "Just think, in college it will be even better."

"How about we focus on this game." Caitlin giggles. "We are still juniors, who knows what college will bring."

Peyton nods in agreement.

McKenna scans the crowd. Her eyes bypass the student section for her school and go towards the other teams section. It took her a minute to spot her, but soon saw the green eyed girl.

McKenna can't help, but keep her eyes fixated on Halie. She tells herself to look away, but she doesn't. Halie, in a crowd full of people, is scanning the field to see if she could see her sister, when her eyes landed on McKenna.

They kept their eyes locked on one another until it was broken up by someone on each side.

"Who is that?" A girl sitting by Halie asks.

Peyton glances at McKenna who is starring off in the crowd. She notices a lovesick look to her face. Peyton looks up at the bleachers to see who she might be looking at. She spots Logan, but it doesn't appear that is who McKenna is staring off at.

"Who are you looking at?" Peyton gives McKenna a light push. "It's time to focus."

McKenna snaps out of it. She turns her attention back to the field, but not before looking one last time giving the girl a smile.

Katie makes her way over to Peyton. "How are you feeling?" She questions the girl. "And don't lie to me. I need to know what I am working with on the field to see if I need to adjust my game at all."

"I am good." Peyton feels the best she has since getting hurt. She knows it is probably the medication and adrenaline. "I will be 100 percent out there. I promise."

Katie pulls Peyton away from everyone. Peyton was preparing to snap if Katie tried to lecture her about playing, but what Katie had to say had nothing to do about Peyton.

"They are really good." Katie comments on Peyton's former team and their current opponent. "Do you think Caitlin will be able to hold up on the goal? They average 6 goals a game!"

I look over at my former team who is going through their warm up looking very sharp.

"I don't want to get embarrassed if we lose." Katie says so softly I barely heard her.

Peyton turns her attention to Katie. "We won't be embarrassed. We have the best player in the state."

Katie shakes her head. "Let's not get full of ourselves now."

"I am not talking about me." Peyton jogs off.

Both teams went through their warm's ups. After the national anthem was sung, the starting lines up for both teams were announced.

"Number 1, Caitlin Chancellor." The Eagles student body roared. Logan hollering as loud as he can for his sister.

"Number 3, McKenna Martin." Another loud cheer and Logan yells even louder for her than he did for his sister.

They go through the rest of the team and when they get to Peyton, both teams' fans erupt.

"Number 15, Peyton James."

Peyton runs out to the rest of her team as the crowd cheers loudly.

"Holy shit." McKenna jokingly messes with her ear pretending like she can't hear now. "Do people actually like you or something?"

The game soon gets under way. Within three minutes, the Rapids were on the attack. They get a shot on goal, but Caitlin makes a diving block leading the students for the Eagles to go crazy.

Caitlin barely gets back to her feet before she is diving in the opposite direction as another ball is flying her way. She deflects it causing it to go out of bounds.

"Shit." Caitlin mutters. She is helped to her feet by someone from the other team.

"It's going to be a long day for you." Morgan, one of the girls Caitlin met at the night of the hot tub, warns. "Good stops though."

Morgan's comment only fuels Caitlin more. Most of the first half, the ball was on the Rapids side. Eagles defenders were having a hell of a time getting the ball across midfield. This was leaving Caitlin and Katie both very frustrated.

The clock goes under five minutes until half, when McKenna gets control of a ball that was outlet to her. She sprints down the left of the field as she looks ahead.

McKenna takes the ball all the way down the field, staying out wide. When she gets close to the end line, she sends the ball across the field. Peyton separates enough from her defender as she jumps for the ball. She makes contact with her head and sends the ball flying to the back corner of the net.

The game has finally seen its first goal go in. The Eagles crowd goes wild as the players go and celebrate the goal with Peyton.

"Hell of a ball." Peyton tells McKenna as she wraps her arm around her neck as they walk to midfield. "We needed that."

McKenna enjoys the compliment from Peyton. That is one thing she really enjoys about playing with her. She always gives praise to others. She is a team player and not just about herself.

McKenna's eyes go up to the crowd looking for Halie. She is still unsure why in the last 24 hours she was so drawn to her. Their eyes meet once again and McKenna's smile grows. She swears she sees the girl wink at her, but she can't be sure from such a far distance.

"Seriously, who are you looking at?" Peyton questions as they go into position knowing she isn't going to get an answer.

The game resumes and the Rapids are on a quick attack. Morgan springs open and has a wide open shot. Morgan kicks the ball hard and the ball smacks Caitlin in the face.

Caitlin lays on her back not getting up as she holds her face as the ball is still in play. Morgan taps the ball in and goes to celebrate, but the ref blows the whistle and is holding a flag up.

"Are you kidding me?" She is not happy as she was being called offsides. Morgan turns her attention to Caitlin who is on the ground still and now surrounded by her teammates.

Caitlin sits up and the crowd cheers.

"Great block." McKenna teases her friend. "You should probably not use your face though."

They help her get to her feet and wave the coaches off from coming on the field.

"Are you ok?" Peyton stands in front of Caitlin examining her face.

Caitlin eyes watch Peyton and butterflies hit her stomach with the girl being so close. "Be my girlfriend."

Peyton freezes as she was not expecting to hear those words and not even sure if she heard the girl right. "What did you say?"

Before Caitlin could repeat herself, the ref blew its whistle signaling the game was to resume. The remaining seconds ticked off and it was now halftime.

Eagles head coach told the onsite trainer to evaluate Caitlin to make sure she is good after taking a shot to the head.

Both teams get hydrated and get speeches from their coaches. Peyton tried to focus on her coach and what adjustments he wanted done, but her mind kept going to Caitlin and what she asked.

With a little time left on the clock before half was over, Peyton and McKenna do some light jogging together to keep their muscles from cramping.

"Caitlin asked me to be her girlfriend." Peyton comes to a stop and so does McKenna.

"When?"

"Right after she got blasted in the face by Morgan." Peyton tells her. "I was asking if she was ok and instead of answering she asked me to be her girlfriend."

McKenna's face lights up. "Oh my god! Did you say yes?"

"I didn't answer." McKenna smacks Peyton. "I didn't really have the chance in my defense and not to mention Caitlin and I still have a lot to talk about still."

"So!" McKenna seems to think that's not a big deal. "You can talk while you are girlfriend and girlfriend or just not talk about it at all.."

Peyton thought about what McKenna said. "Or not talk about it at all." Could both Caitlin and Peyton benefit from just letting things go and moving forward without talking or do they need to talk?

McKenna doesn't mean to, but her eyes go back to the bleachers and to the same spot. "McKenna, who are you looking at?"

"Logan, obviously." McKenna lies. "Who do you think I am looking at?"

McKenna feels bad. She doesn't know what is going on. She thinks all of this is because of Logan making her mad and now her mind is messing with her. Regardless of what is happening she likes the current feeling of looking up and seeing someone smiling at her.

"Logan is to the right and you look like you are looking to the left." Peyton points out.

"Peyton, don't be crazy." McKenna peels her eyes away from the stands. "How about we focus? We have a game to win."

With that, she jogs off.

Halftime ends and everyone takes their positions. Just like the first half the Rapids were controlling the ball and taking shot after shot on goal.

"Can someone make a damn goal!" Angie the goalie for the Rapids yells out getting irritated with how many shots her team is getting and none are going in.

The Rapids get another shot on goal, but Caitlin catches the ball. She quickly kicks the ball to the right side of the field. The Rapids were out of position as the Eagles typically go left and this was an adjustment they were not expecting.

Macey quickly finds Katie who gets around a defender and passes up to Peyton. Peyton has some space to work with. She went towards the goal and was about to go for a shot when she didn't like what she saw. In the middle of the field she sees McKenna and passes to her. Right as the ball gets to the spot, McKenna takes the shot. She kicks high and to the opposite corner.

"That's in." McKenna shouts before the ball travels over Angie's outstretched arm. "Fuck yeah!"

The Eagles go up 2-0.

Katie and Peyton rush to McKenna. As The Eagles celebrate the Rapids are starting to get frustrated and feeling defeated. They haven't trailed all season and haven't once been shut out.

The Rapids know they need to score within the next two minutes if they want a chance to win this game. They are determined to get a ball past Caitlin.

They got three really good shots, but Caitlin stopped each one.

"Hey, if you don't say yes to her, I am." McKenna teases Peyton as she runs by her on an out ball. "She is a beast. It is hot how pissed off she is making them."

"Shut up." Morgan snaps.

"Never." McKenna fires right back. "Kiss your perfect season goodbye."

Morgan extends her arm and shoves McKenna.

"Hey!" Peyton comes towards the two.

The ref blows the whistle and reaches towards his pocket.

"I tripped." McKenna lies. "Everyone needs to calm down and let's finish this game."

The ref still pulls out a yellow card, but instead of giving it to just Morgan he gives it to McKenna as well.

Morgan extends her hand and the girls give each other a high five. "Sorry." Morgan apologizes.

"Don't apologize. I like it."

The altercation on the field caught the attention of a certain green eyed girl in the crowd. Halie liked the feistiness McKenna plays with.

The game gets back underway with the Eagles throwing it in. Katie gets the ball and is in disbelief when she sees an easy play to Peyton.

She makes one cut with the ball and then passes it to her. Peyton stays behind her defender and gets control of the ball. She kicks the ball up about three feet then stops on a dime causing the defender to fall over.

This gives Peyton a wide-open shot. She knows Angie's weakness. Angie likes to dive so Peyton attacks her straight on.

Peyton kicks the ball in the middle of the goal and keeps the ball low. She put as much speed on it as she could. Angie goes to dive left, but notices the ball coming right at her. She was too slow as the ball went right by her and to the back of the net.

3-0 Eagles with less than 3 minutes to play.

The Eagles student section is jumping up and down chanting "I Believe That We Will Win" as they are embarking on their first state championship in soccer.

The Rapids don't attempt to try to score once the ball is at midfield and back in play. They know with time ticking down and being down three it's time to wave the white flag.

As the clock is winding down, players from the Rapids team walk over to Peyton and give their former teammate a hug.

"I hate you for moving" Morgan squeezes her friend tight.

Peyton received a couple of other hugs and then the clock hit zero.

The two teams quickly went through the lines to congratulate each other and then the Eagles started to celebrate.

Peyton is searching for Caitlin but can't find her.

Katie grabs a hold of Peyton's arm and pulls her into a hug. "Thank you!" She screams in her ear. "This is all because of you."

Peyton never thought she would share a hug with Katie so she takes a second to soak it in before pulling back.

"This was all of us." Peyton doesn't want this win to be about her. "We won because we all showed up all season."

McKenna was hugging her best friend in the middle of the field. "I love you, Cat." She whispers in her ear as tears fall from her eyes.

Caitlin pulls back a little from the hug. "Are you crying?"

"They are happy tears." McKenna tells her.

"I love you too." Caitlin engages more in the hug. "I can't wait for us to do this in softball."

The pair break their hug. The Eagles fans have now made their way to the field and McKenna sees Logan walking towards them.

McKenna takes a deep breath before walking up to Logan. "Hey."

"Great game!" Logan gives off his smile that once drove McKenna crazy. "I never realized that Caitlin, Peyton and you were kind of like a big three out there. It is cool, especially since you all are friends."

McKenna shrugs her shoulders. "I am not good enough to be paired with them. I had a good game when it counted, but they are better."

Logan takes a step closer to McKenna. McKenna puts her hand up to keep space between them.

"Logan." She says softly. "You do not have to do this. You do not have to date me or pretend to like me. I won't tell anyone what you told me."

Logan doesn't believe McKenna. He thinks he needs McKenna to be his girlfriend to have control. He needs McKenna to believe he is into her.

He steps in closer and McKenna's hand is pressed against his chest. "After you kissed me, I couldn't stop thinking about it." Logan tells her. "I want to give this a real try."

He starts leaning down. McKenna doesn't want to kiss him, but she does. She is hoping it will help her get over being mad at him.

Meanwhile, across the field, Peyton was finishing up an interview.

Peyton felt a little frustrated that she got pulled away to do an interview about the game during her team's celebration. She felt like it took the moment away, but now that she is done, she is determined to find Caitlin.

Her eyes are scanning all over. "Hey." She hears, but it's not Caitlin's voice. "Good game again." Morgan gives me one last hug. "Enjoy it now, we will get you guys next year."

Morgan and Petyon both share a laugh as Morgan is the final Rapids player to leave the field.

Peyton goes back to looking for Caitlin. She looks all over, but never looks behind her.

Peyton was about to give up and go to her dad, but she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and was met by brown eyes.

"Finally." Peyton's smile stretches from ear to ear.

Caitlin wraps both arms around Petyon's neck. Peyton thought Caitlin was going in for a hug, but Cailtin crashes her lips onto hers.

The kiss brought a lot of eyes on them.

"Did our daughter just do that?" Jordyn whispers to Paige as they are about thirty yards from them.

"That's my girl." Paige likes seeing her daughter being bold and going after what she wants.

Meanwhile, as the Rapids fans exit the stands still, a girl taps Halie on the shoulder. "Isn't that Peyton, your ex-girlfriend, kissing her teammate on the field?"

Halie looks to where the girl was pointing. "That is her." She smiles, happy for Peyton finding happiness.

"Does that not make you mad?"

"Not at all." Halie told her truthfully. That is not the kiss she witnessed today that made her feel a little uneasy.

Cailtin breaks the kiss. "You never answered my question."

"That is the first thing you want to talk about?" Petyon smirks. "Not how we are state champions?'

"Peyton." Caitlin's smile starts to fall thinking Petyon is dodging to answer because her answer will be no.

"Yes. I want to be your girlfriend." Peyton kisses Caitlin again and pulls back. "I told you at camp I wanted to risk it all with you and I meant it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

He Was A Ten By jo

Teen Fiction

6.5K 423 29
I don't know why I am the way I am. I just know that it's been this way ever since I was born. Paige Roberts was born with the ability to see numbers...
151K 5.9K 22
It's not easy being a teenager. Although things may look perfect, you never know what's going on behind closed doors. Book 3 of 3 All Rights Reserve...
10.1K 787 12
This is the third book in the Best Friends Series. Life in their small town is steadily turning sour. Two families decide it's time for a change...
1.2K 5 15
Emily and Jake. Siblings. They have a decent life, Emily has her girlfriend and Jake has the two of them. She and her girlfriend Dani were inseperab...