Goals Off Court | SatoSere

By amourology_

When the top basketball player Ash Ketchum and his team damage the school property by mistake, he's the one w... More

Aesthetics.
Chapter 1 - Probation
Chapter 2 - Coincidental Meeting
Chapter 3 - First Lesson
Chapter 4 - Far From Done
Chapter 5 - Only Time Could Tell
Chapter 6 - Progress
Chapter 7 - Challenge
Chapter 8 - Denial
Chapter 9 - Proving Himself
Chapter 10 - Distant Thoughts
Chapter 11 - Heated Dance
Chapter 12 - Farther Than Closer
Chapter 13 - All It Takes
Chapter 14 - Paired Lesson
Chapter 15 - Conflicted Feelings
Chapter 16 - Game Of Denial
Chapter 17 - Mesmerizing Sight
Chapter 18 - Only You
Chapter 19 - Forbidden Desires
Chapter 20 - Temptation
Chapter 21 - Honesty
Chapter 22 - Final Lesson
Chapter 23 - One Text Away
Chapter 24 - Apologetic Mind
Chapter 25 - Lost Chance
Chapter 26 - Starting From Zero
Chapter 27 - Closer Than Strangers
Chapter 28 - Kept Promise
Chapter 29 - Into Uncertainty
Chapter 30 - Deeper Meaning
Chapter 31 - Back On The Floor
Chapter 32 - Inevitable Feeling
Chapter 33 - Light Up My World
Chapter 34 - Not So Friendly Fire
Chapter 35 - Connection At Home
Chapter 36 - Out Of Our Control
Chapter 37 - Struggling Feelings
Chapter 38 - Ballroom Tension
Chapter 39 - Drunken Intimacy
Chapter 40 - Departing Together
Chapter 41 - Advice Night
Chapter 42 - Kissable Tango
Chapter 43 - Complex Love
Chapter 44 - Extra Lessons
Chapter 45 - Unexpected Growth
Chapter 46 - Distraction Injury
Chapter 47 - Tasteful Gift
Chapter 48 - Dinner With Friends
Chapter 49 - The Invitational Practice
Chapter 51 - Dancing In The Sheets (18+)
Chapter 52 - Healing & Improvement
Chapter 53 - Music On The Piano (18+)
Chapter 54 - Dreams To Reach
Chapter 55 - Conflicting Goals
Chapter 56 - Secrets Unfold
Chapter 57 - Two Opportunities
Chapter 58 - Deeper Feelings
Chapter 59 - Win & Arrive
Chapter 60 - Goals Off Court
Acknowledgement

Chapter 50 - The Decision

198 7 2
By amourology_

"Are you sure you don't want to go? You know I could walk you down there and—"

"Gary, for the love of all my will power to throw anything within arms length at your head..." Ash began, clacking away on his laptop. He had a paper to write and the last thing he wanted to do was think about Serena and the invitational dance practice or whatever they called it. "Please give it a rest."

"Isn't it a mini-competition? You could watch her—"

"What?" Ash said, shaking his head. "Dance with someone else? No way, man."

"I thought she was going to do a solo dance?" Gary continued speaking and Ash wanted to punch his lights out.

"Who knows," Ash replied simply. "They can dance with whoever they want during that thing."

"Oh," Gary muttered. "Look, Ashy-boy, if you change your mind, let me know."

Ash grunted, knowing he wouldn't change his mind about this.

What would he even do? Watch as some other guy touch his not-girlfriend because she wasn't his? Not that he had any say in the matter for what she chooses to do even if she was his girlfriend. Who knows what kind of dance they were doing. He hated it the thought. He wished he just hadn't known about the practice. This was definitely the time he ever went to dinner with those guys.

Ash pursed his lips and tried to focus on the screen in front of him. He needed to finish this essay, not thinking about dance.

He couldn't help but wonder about what she was doing. The music began to play in his head and he thought about all the ways he ever touched her. The way her body moved closer to his and almost touching. Was she dancing with someone else? Were they touching her? Sliding their hands up her thigh the way he had down so many times? Or maybe they were staring into her ocean blue eyes, loving the way her hips moved around, or the way she moved so light on her feet.

Fuck. What was he doing?

He couldn't dance, sure, but he should be there. What if some guy from Kalos Academy tried to make a move on her?

With a irritated grunt, he slammed his laptop shut and Gary jumped from behind him. "Jesus, are you okay?"

"I'm heading out," Ash told him, hobbling out of bed to grab his crutches.

"What? Where are you going?" Gary said, immediately jumping up from his desk to throw his shoes on.

"It doesn't matter. I don't need any help." Ash slightly assured him. "I just need to get there."

It was already late. She hadn't sent him any of her messages or dropped any emojis to let him know it went well. He really was an idiot.

Serena was his girl. Except she wasn't. She wasn't at all. Why did he make the promise to not actually ask her out until after their dance competition? If some other guy came along and was amazing, sweeping her off her feet, she had every right to go off with him.

Not that anyone was better than him and he would prove that to her if he had to. In front of anyone who asked.

Ash leaned down to pick up his jacket and crutches, shoving them under his arms, yanking the door open as he left Gary behind. He didn't need help. He was going to prove he could easily do this on his own.

He puffed out his cheeks and went as fast as his damn crutches could take him. He wished he didn't have this injury. Maybe then he would've actually been able to dance with her tonight. He could've been her partner and they would've lost to Drew and May. It would've sucked, but at least it would've been him and not some other dude.

Maybe she was just doing a solo dance. Who knew? And who knew why he was getting so worked up about it.

Ash pushed his crutches into the ground, clouds of his breath blowing into his face with each huff as he slowly made his way down to the dance building. Hell, by the time he got there the whole thing would've ended.

And it basically had. When Ash finally arrived to the dance building, he saw groups of students hanging out, loitering around. The competition had to be over with how casual everyone was being. There was no tension or sense of urgency and he hobbled over to the door.

But where was Serena? Had she already left?

Ash peered into various doors, noting some of the dancers were stretching, but he didn't see her anywhere. Not until he peered into the main dance studio door.

She twirled around, her body pressed close to another boy. He had dark hair, stood tall next her, and was dancing their choreography? Her face was close to his with cheeks a shade of pink. What the hell? He stumbled backwards, hopping on his foot as he slammed the door open.

"What's going on?" Ash snapped, breathing heavily as he did. Immediately Drew and his girlfriend jumped up, shocked at the loud outburst.

"Ash?" Serena gasped. "What are you doing here?"

He dropped the crutches to the side and walked over, pain shooting up his foot having not used it for days now. He gripped at the black haired guy's shirt and looked at him, his knuckles turned white with the grip.

"Who are you?" Ash questioned, the vein in his neck showing. "Keep your hands off her!"

"Ash, please," Serena called out and ran to get his crutches holding them out to him. "You shouldn't be standing—"

The black haired guy sneered at him. "You must be the amateur—"

"Amateur?" Ash was dumbfounded. "The hell are you trying to say?"

The boy smiled, his eyes dark shutting as he wrapped his hand around Ash's wrist. "If you have an injury, you really shouldn't be using your foot."

"Spare me the damn amusement. I can easily beat you to a pulp. Serena's my partner. This tango—" Ash clenched at his shirt harder. "—Is our dance. What are you doing it for?"

"I was showing her how it would feel to dance her amazing choreography with an actual dancer." The boy grinned. "Someone who is polite. Instead of some rough basketball player who doesn't know his right foot from his left."

"Calem," Serena said, eyes narrowing. "Ash is actually a very good dancer."

So that's his name, Ash noticed. Sounds like a disease.

"Really? Is he?" Calem's grin only grew. "Because I have years on him."

"The amount of years you have spinning your ass around doesn't change the fact that I'm her partner," Ash declared, looking at him confidently. The seriousness behind his eyes didn't fail to go noticed.

"But you don't have to be. You're injured." Calem reminded him, eyeing him up and down. "And the competition is coming up. Perhaps Serena deserves a partner more fit for her."

"Calem, Ash and I have already entered the competition—"

"You can change his name," Calem stated bluntly, interrupting Serena. "Let me be your partner for the competition, so you will actually have a chance at winning."

Ash almost laughed and Calem gripped his wrist to push him back.

"It's also not your decision to make," Calem said and he smiled towards Serena. "It's hers. We danced all afternoon together and made a wonderful team. Just ask Drew and May! I would be a much better fit as Serena's partner."

"'Decision for her to make,'" Ash repeated, huffing out a laugh in disbelief. "That's rich coming from you who's trying to get her to leave her partner and become yours solely based on fucking years of experience. What's your issue, man?"

Calem's demeanor changed, his dark blues glaring at Ash. "You're a really rude person, aren't you? I say we let Serena decide. She has danced with both of us. She knows what each of us are capable of. It's her choice."

Ash swallowed and looked towards Serena, despising the look of actual confusion on her face.

"So," Calem said, holding out his hand to her. Serena's blue eyes darted to May first and then looked at both of the boys in front of her. "Do you want me to be your partner instead?"

Serena stared between the two boys, one seemingly calm with a devious look behind his dark blue eyes that was almost drowning, and the other — the brown eyes that were fierce. Full of determined flames that heated her all over whenever he looked at her. That sparked something between them.

For as long as she could remember, Serena wanted to be a dancer. As a small child, her mother had put on some music one day and she began to bounce up and down, the sounds igniting her body. She just wanted to move.

On her birthday, Serena's mother had given her a music box. She told her it was meant to keep jewelry or other trinkets inside, but she couldn't stop watching the tiny ballerina who twirled around and around when she lifted the cover.

Every time she watched TV, she had it next to her. She watched a variety of dancers. Her favorite was Aria. The know queen of ballet in Kalos. She was inspiring. The way she brought out smiles in everyone in the crowd and all over Kalos. Aria had a gift.

Serena then knew what her dream was

"I want to be just like her," she said, pointing to the little dancer in the music box, and then at the screen. "And Aria too! She's so pretty."

Between her horse riding training, she was soon given dance lessons. On the first day, Serena knew there was nothing else she would ever want to do. It felt like she was soaring, the way her feet moved across the floor. She wanted to fly, twirl, and move. It felt freeing and that's what she wanted.

The more she practiced — alone or in a studio with a teacher — the better she got. It slowly became all she wanted to do.

Serena fell in love with all style of dance: ballet, jazz, modern, and tap. She wasn't the best at all of them, but she enjoyed trying new things out. As a young dancer, partner dancing was something she did love before. Even the thought of it being someone you've fallen for.

Something about ballroom enticed her the most. The chemistry between two people, the passion of the dance; it was beautiful to watch and even more fun to try. And yet, she never quite felt the way she wanted to about it.

She danced with a variety of partners, but nothing stuck. One boy moved away, one found someone he connected with better, another got injured, giving up dance altogether, and finally, when the fourth one decided to focus on his studies instead. Serena decided to focused on herself and choreography.

"It's my own fault," Serena told May. The two had been dancing together since they were young girls.

"What do you mean?" May asked.

"I think," Serena whispered, "I just have high expectations for partners."

May just giggled. "You're okay, Serena! You deserve a good partner."

"I don't know how to find a good partner," Serena said, biting her lip. "They all somehow ditch me."

"Try a few different places?"

"Might I add you were the worst person to ask." Serena sighed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "You've found the love of your life."

May blushed at that. "Well, I don't know if that matters when it comes to dance."

May found Drew in high school, the two of them connecting almost instantaneously. Serena didn't know the full story, but she did know May pulled Drew out of a slump. He always worded it that she made him fall in love with dance again.

"Honestly," Serena admitted. "I think I have this odd fantasy of finding the perfect partner. Maybe I'm too intense about it."

"What do you mean?" May asked.

"The idea of being partnered with someone you're so in love with. It's truly beautiful. When you dance together, the world melts away and you feel... everything all at once. I know plenty of people dance together and never feel a hint of romance, but I believe that would be... really nice."

"If that's what you want, I know you're going to find it," May said, reassuring Serena.

"You're right." Serena laughed awkwardly, but she wasn't so sure.

This was always how their conversations went whenever she and May discussed it.

So Serena gave up. There was no reason to continue desperately searching for a partner when she knew it wouldn't work out in the way she wanted. She was happier expressing herself in the ways she knew. It was nice working on choreography for herself and her friends. Watching May and Drew always made her feel nice, but had her with her wishful thinking at times. They were so talented and beautiful; she could never stop working with them.

Entering Kalos University was a choice they all made together. It was known for their prestigious dance program. Serena and May made it their top choice, which meant Drew did too, wanting to follow May of course.

Though there were new people at the school, Serena didn't expect college to be any different, and it wasn't. She decided to go solo because she believed nobody really clicked with her like she dreamed of.

Then she met Ash Ketchum. The top basketball player in their university whereas she was the top dancer.

It shouldn't have worked. It should've been a disaster. He was difficult, on and off, hurtful in ways, and somehow he wasn't all that bad at dancing. He was naturally athletic and oddly gifted at rhythm.

But most of all, Serena felt something for him. She didn't know where it came from, but when she danced with him, there was this inexplicable spark. Something she couldn't quite fathom. Even with how horrible he acted, she knew deep down he wasn't a bad person and she wasn't quite ready to let him go.

Serena stared at Calem's hand, outstretched towards her, offering himself and his talents. She blinked, trying to take it all in.

Calem wanted to be her dance partner?

He was incredibly talented. He'd proven that tonight completely and logically, he was the correct choice. But how long would it last? Would they do this one competition and then would he go back to Shauna? That was who he belonged with. Maybe Shauna would be hurt if she found out Calem danced with someone else? Serena couldn't imagine Calem would become her permanent partner.

Serena's blue eyes turned towards Ash. Did he even want to be here? Of course, he had come into the room practically declaring that she was his partner, so why would he do that if he didn't want to stay as that?

With Calem as her partner, they really did have a good chance at winning. With Ash, it most likely wouldn't happen. But this particular competition never had been about winning.

Ash leaned forward and shoved Calem's hand away. "This isn't up for a debate."

"Why do you get to decide who she dances with?" Calem scoffed, folding his arms. "Serena is her own person and she can decide who she wants to be with."

"Shove the pretty words up your ass, man! You're a hypocrite, trying to smooth talk your way into pushing her to becoming your partner. Give it up already." Ash's jaw clenched tightly. "I'm not deciding on anything. She choreographed that dance for me — us. We made a promise—"

"Okay, that's enough! Stop fighting already!" Serena yelled, stomping her foot against the floor, the noise echoing in the large dance hall. Both boys turned to her, blinking, completely shocked by the large outburst. "You cannot be serious! I won't pick either of you if you're going to continue to act like children!"

"Serena," May whispered, wanting to step towards her friend, but she shook her head.

"This has to be a joke?" Ash said, lightly laughing in frustration. "I'm not going to 'stop fighting,' Serena. I'm not going to stop fighting for you. I'm not taking extra lessons with Drew just for you to end up choosing this prick who just showed up out of nowhere."

"You don't have to fight—" Serena began to retort, but stopped when she finally processed all the words. "Wait... What?" Serena blinked. "Extra lessons... with Drew?"

Ash's cheeks burned and he turned away, folding his arms over his chest. "You heard me."

Serena glanced at Drew and May, her eyes filled with confusion. "Is this..."

"It's true," Drew said, scratching the back of his head. "He came to me a few weeks ago asking for my help. He said he wanted to do his best for you. He thought I could help improve his leading."

Serena turned to look at the injured boy in front of her. He pretended like he didn't care — like dancing with her wasn't what he wanted and yet he put so much effort into it.

"Ash..." Serena whispered, pushing past Calem to slowly walk to him. She brushed her fingers against his jaw and gently turned his face to look at her. "Did you really do that for me?"

Ash frowned, his eyes connecting with hers. "Why would I lie about it?"

"Thank you," Serena tells him, her own eyes own shining.

She cupped his cheeks and pressed their lips together in a passionate kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck. Her hands tangled in his hair and she feels his smile against her lips, which for some reason she can't prevent from making her smile too. He clutched her waist, trying not to stumble backwards as she kissed him.

They pulled away from each other still smiling and Ash tenderly pushed her hair behind her ears. Neither of them cared that the other people in the room were watching them.

"I guess she made her choice," Calem said, tucking his hands into his pockets.

Serena slid her hands over Ash's shoulders. She turned away from him for a moment, blushing that she had lost herself so terribly to the moment. She was overwhelmed learning Ash went behind her back to learn more about dance. But she felt that she was being rude not giving Calem a proper answer.

She placed her hands behind her back. "Calem, thank you for dancing with me today. It really means a lot."

"Of course." Calem shortly smiled. "I wanted to."

"I appreciate your offer, but Ash is my partner. We've been working hard on this dance. He's been working hard on it. I don't care about winning; I care about having a nice time with him."

"I understand. Just know if you ever choose to dance with someone more... seasoned, my offer stands," Calem said, keeping his smile on his face. "If not, I look forward to competing with you in future competitions."

"'Course we'll be competing with you and we'll be sending you straight home with a loss," Ash snapped, gesturing to him determinedly.

"Ash." Serena sighed and shook her head. "Thank you, Calem. You're very talented and Shauna is very lucky to have you as a partner. I know Ash seems very... unruly, but I promise you we'll be doing our best."

Ash rolled his eyes. "More than our best against this asshole."

"Calem Xavier!" A teacher called out, peering her head into the studio. "The bus is getting ready. I'd hate to leave you behind unless you want to join Kalos University instead."

"Not today." Calem chuckled, smirking at them. "See you in the future then."

He nodded before turning away to head to the bus, leaving them behind.

"Yeah, see you!" Serena waved her goodbyes and finally turned around to face Ash, an eyebrow raised seriously. "You do realize that you can't get this mad if I have to dance with other people? It might happen from time to time."

Ash pouted, looking away. "I know that, but you were doing our dance."

"You're right. I shouldn't have done that, but our dance went so well tonight. I thought Calem just wanted to see the choreography. I didn't think he was going to try and ask me to be his actual partner."

"It was pretty surprising," May chimed in. "Calem and Shauna have been a duo for a long time. I was surprised he wanted to branch out, even if it was for a competition she most likely can't compete in."

"I just can't stand the idea of you picking someone else after..." Ash's voice trailed off.

"After you worked so hard, even with Drew?" Serena asked, glancing at him.

"He is working very hard. I've even seen a great deal of improvement," Drew added. "I think you even commented on his leading ability after me and him worked together."

The emotions slowly washed over Serena again. "I can't believe you went to Drew."

"Just forget it," Ash muttered. He hobbled over to where he dropped his crutches and leaned down to pick them up.. "We're doing the competition together and it's our dance. I made my point."

"Ash, wait!" Serena called for him and nodded to May and Drew, both of them waving their hands to urge her to go.

She dashed forward and picked up his backpack. "I was going to choose you anyway. Even without knowing about Drew. Dancing with Calem was fun, but it didn't feel the same. I mean, technically speaking, he's better than you—"

"Oh, come on—"

"No, let me talk. I just mean he's been doing this longer! Calm down, will you? That's like saying you're better at him in basketball, which you are." Serena said, leaning towards him to poke his cheek. Ash grinned a bit and she could only sigh at the boost of ego she just gave him. "What I was trying to say was that I feel a stronger connection with you and I appreciate how hard you're working. I think you're going to be a great dancer if you keep this up. Now, I'm walking you back to your dorm and I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Yes, ma'am." With a matching sigh, Ash lifted his hand in front of them. "Lead the way, teach."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.7K 1.5K 41
Serena Yvonne bullied Ash Ketchum. But then things changed. A lot. What will happen when they realize they used to know each other? I will allow othe...
31.1K 341 25
Ash gets betrayed by all his friend (except Gary) he isolates him self But wht if disaster and a tournament arise its a chance for ash to prove hi...
206K 4.2K 76
On the day the Pokémon Academy in the Kanto region receives a new student, normal days soon turn to dangerous ones. Serena Yvonne forever changes the...
65.8K 1.3K 28
Serena Yvonne is a strong and hardcore 16-year-old girl. She's the crush of every boys' heart, but all of their attempts are failed. Many people thin...