The Bull Prince | Max Verstap...

By water4lily

Joanna Lauda was already a two-time world champion and no longer new to the sport, but what she didn't expect... More

Beginning
Chapter One: The Art of War
Chapter Two: Max Verstappen
Chapter Three: Fernando Alonso
Chapter Four: Mark Webber
Chapter Five: Lewis Hamilton
Chapter Six: Alain Prost
Chapter Seven: Nico Rosberg
Chapter Eight: Joanna Lauda
Chapter Nine: Romain Grosjean
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
THE SEQUEL
SEQUEL - Chapter 01
SEQUEL - Chapter 02
SEQUEL - Chapter 03
SEQUEL - Chapter 04
SEQUEL - Chapter 05
SEQUEL - Chapter 06
SEQUEL - Chapter 07
SEQUEL - Chapter 08
SEQUEL - Chapter 09
SEQUEL - Chapter 10
SEQUEL - Chapter 11
SEQUEL - Chapter 12
SEQUEL - Chapter 13
SEQUEL - Chapter 14
SEQUEL - Chapter 15
SEQUEL - Chapter 16
SEQUEL - Chapter 17
SEQUEL - Chapter 18
SEQUEL - Chapter 19
SEQUEL - Chapter 20
SEQUEL - Chapter 21
SEQUEL - Chapter 22
SEQUEL - Chapter 23
SEQUEL - Chapter 24
SEQUEL - Chapter 25
SEQUEL - Chapter 26
SEQUEL - Chapter 27
SEQUEL - Chapter 28
SEQUEL - Chapter 29
SEQUEL - Chapter 30
SEQUEL - Chapter 31
SEQUEL - Chapter 32
SEQUEL - Chapter 33
SEQUEL - Chapter 34
SEQUEL - Chapter 35
SEQUEL - Chapter 36
SEQUEL - Chapter 37
SEQUEL - Chapter 38
SEQUEL - Chapter 39
SEQUEL - Chapter 40
SEQUEL - Chapter 41
SEQUEL - Chapter 42
SEQUEL - Chapter 44
SEQUEL - Chapter 45
SEQUEL - Chapter 46
SEQUEL - Chapter 47
SEQUEL - Chapter 48
SEQUEL - Chapter 49
SEQUEL - Chapter 50
SEQUEL - Chapter 51
SEQUEL - Chapter 52
SEQUEL - Chapter 53
SEQUEL - Chapter 54
SEQUEL - Chapter 55

SEQUEL - Chapter 43

2.5K 116 61
By water4lily

So, this is the 100th published part of this story. A story I started about 2 years ago. I don't really know what to say. We are entering a new era with this chapter, an era I will enjoy greatly I think and I hope you guys will too. I hope you enjoy this chapter and wish you a happy read. So as always. Cheers!

<><><>

Joanna was sure she would miss this that least in the beginning. Waking up on a quiet November morning, the cold wind outside moving the branches of the trees gently while the last leaves turned colour and gently sail to the ground. She will miss the sound of drizzly rain tapping against their window, soon the wails of a baby would wake up the whole house or hopefully his sounds of delight. She will miss the soft light of autumn sunshine on her face which gently woke her up, fighting its way through the wild and rolling clouds.

Laying on her side, facing Max, she pulled her blanket up a bit to protect her from the gentle cold that was resting itself over them, the warmth from the blanket cocoon she had been sleeping in soothing her sore muscles. Gently reaching out Joanna cupped Max's cheek, a smile blooming on her lips. She was so glad he was back home. Even though she had reassured him over and over again that the date of birth was still a few days ago, she couldn't deny that she had been so very uneasy while Max was away in Brazil.

In Brazil where he had won the race as he had promised her, for their son. A little welcoming present, which caused Joanna to smile and shake her head fondly at him as he told her that on their last video call while he was getting on the plane to come back home.

But now he was home, there was no reason to fear that she would have to go through it all alone. Max was here with her now and she knew that he would not leave her side until their baby would be born.

"Why are you awake already?" Max muttered, not opening his eyes, but moving his hand to rest on top of Joanna's before pulling it from his face and pressing a gentle kiss on top of her knuckles. Joanna watched with a soft and loving smile as Max did not give her hand free again, but simply pulled their joined hands to rest against his chest, holding her hand warm under the blanket.

"I thought about a light breakfast." She told him. "I take it you rather stay here. It took you half the night before you came to join me." The Austrian added, causing Max to open his eyes to look at his fiancée.

"I finished the crib and then didn't want to leave the rest for the morning," Max told her which caused Joanna to raise an eyebrow.

"You finished the nursery?" She wondered which caused the Dutchman to nod against his pillow.

"It's not like we don't need it asap." Max said.

Well, this was a welcome surprise for sure. Joanna had been so excited to finally see the nursery complete, but now it gave her a feeling of uncertainty. That makes it so real, not that her growing belly and the kicks weren't enough, but the finished nursery gave her a sense of finalisation. Now it wouldn't be much longer, and they would hold their son in their arms. A stranger which then belonged to their family. A human being they were responsible for.

"Are you okay?" Max asked while reaching over to gently touch Joanna's belly but the Austrian pulled back to get out of bed.

"Course." She told him, while the Dutchman looked up at her standing by their bed, his arm still stretched out over her side of the bed, the blanket moved to pool around his waist.

"I will go and see how far Patrick is with the planting." She then said and turned to walk towards the closet, while Max sat up to watch her, his longer hair hanging into his face which he pushed away with a simple movement of his hand.

"What about breakfast?" He wondered, while Joanna pulled Max's shirt, she had been wearing to sleep over her head leaving her naked back turned to him.

"You should sleep some more. We can eat breakfast together when I come back?" Joanna offered while she struggled with closing her bra, but the sound of rustling blanket followed by a few steps announced Max, who swatted her hands away before closing the bra.

"Thanks." Joanna muttered, looking over her shoulder shortly, before she felt Max's hands on her hips, which gently gave her directions to turn her around.

"What's going on?" He wondered, looking down at Joanna, whose hands moved without her ordering them to do so, only to rest against Max's chest, before she allowed her head to fall forward so her head was resting against his collarbone.

"It just feels so real now." She muttered. It wouldn't take much longer. Two weeks max and Joanna wasn't sure if she would be ready to be a mum in two weeks, it wasn't enough time. She still felt like she had to learn so much before going down that path.

"I already wondered why you stopped complaining about being pregnant." Max said with a soft smile. "It will be fine. We have all the time in the world to figure it out. We just have to remember to feed a third person, it can't be that hard."

"Sounds easy when you say it like that." She muttered against his collarbone. But the Austrian wasn't sure that it would be quiet so easy.

"Get dressed. We will go see Patrick together." Max told her, before hugging Joanna once more and pressing a kiss on top of her head, before he stepped away to get himself a pair of jeans, t-shirt and sweat jacket. Nodding once while watching Max pull cloths from the wardrobe, Joanna got dressed and ready for the day as well.

As usually Max was done before her, so he had moved into the living room, sitting on the couch and checking something on his phone as Joanna finally joined him.

"What's that?" She wondered, pointing at the huge cardboard box standing on the coffee table, causing Max to put his phone away and smiling at her while he got up and moved to cut the box open.

"It's a present from Christian and the team. They organised a little baby party of what these things are called." Max told her which caused Joanna to give him a surprised look.

She hadn't wanted a baby shower, that they had to turn up to Victoria's was bad enough, especially because Max's sister had no reservations of posting her whole life online. And so also a picture of Joanna leaning against Max's chest, his arms around her baby belly, while Joanna looked up at Max, smiling gently, while he looked at something not too far away from them. It was a simple picture of her brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law, but social media had turned wild, reposting, liking and commenting as never before. Joanna suspected that Victoria got some new followers that night, but she also knew that that wasn't her intention. She simply didn't seem to have thought of it too much before posting the picture as well. After all, this was her baby shower, she finally wanted a moment in the spotlight which she destroyed for herself again by posting her very famous brother and his even more famous fiancée, who's engagement ring simmered in the light causing people to notice the unfamiliar ring on Joanna's hand right away. After that incident, Max and she decided that they won't have a baby party.

"That's very thoughtful of them. I feel like we really need to extend an invite to them all after the baby is born." Joanna said while opening the box.

"We invited them to our wedding." Max pointed out and yes, they did, which will be interesting for sure. Half the paddock will be present for their spring wedding before they would fly out to Australia, but she felt like Red Bull was having they're back a bit more than Mercedes ever could and even though she knew they shouldn't sympathise with one team over the other, Joanna would make sure to send out invites for a barbeque or something soon.

"Did you have a look before?" Joanna wondered but Max shook his head, before peaking inside the box as well only to reach inside and pull a set of Red Bull baby jumpers from the box. Of course, they would present them with fanwear, a subtle try to already influence the baby's future maybe. The baby jumpers were followed by a set of the most adorable baby socks Joanna had ever seen, of course racing themed as well, then a pacifier with Max's race number on it and even a tiny pair of racing shoes, in Joanna's design this time. As they were finally done with unpacking all the things, they were sure they had more than enough baby cloths to last them for years and not only Red Bull themed but also normal baby cloths, toys and other useful things like nappies.

"We need to write them a thank you card or something." Joanna told Max while looking over all the things laying around not only their coffee table because the space there was to little after unpacking about one half of the box.

"I will call Christian and tank him." Max offered which caused Joanna to nod. Yeah that was a good idea. They left the things on the coffee table and the couch for now before making their way through the apartment and through the grand hall into the garden, put just as they were about to step outside Adrian greeted them.

"Let me prepare some breakfast. It's important you eat enough." The told Joanna, who was standing in front of Max while he helped her into her coat, before she zipped it up herself.

"Don't fret." Max said. "We will have breakfast once we come back inside. We're just going to check on Patrick." He added and Adrian wanted to protest, but the Dutchman gave him a look, telling him without words to not overstep which caused the old Austrian to nod, before telling the pair that he would have something prepared for their return, which caused Joanna to thank him, before they stepped outside onto the stone balcony, only to join hands and walk down the steps and into the garden.

"Why don't you call Christian now? Make it a video call?" She suggested, causing Max to reach for his phone, before pressing onto his boss's contact and resuming walking while they waited for the call to connect.

"Max." The Brit greeted. "Good morning." He added after a moment. The call from his star driver certainly unexpected.

"Can I do something for you?" Christian wondered which caused Joanna to glance over Max's shoulder from behind him only to see that the Brit must have been woken up by their call, causing Joanna to check her watch for the time before grimacing. They didn't consider that they might weak the Brit on his free day.

"Morning Christian. We just wanted to call and thank you and the team for the present." Max spoke before changing the hand which was holding the phone so he could take Joanna's hand again.

"I'm glad you liked it. It was a pleasure for us. You know, we're also excited as a team for a new member, don't tell Joanna that." Christian smiled, which caused Max to glance at Joanna.

"Oh, I heard you." The Austrian said, before Max moved the phone so his boss could see the Austrian, that stepped closer to the phone so Christian could hear her properly as well.

"But I'm glad, thank you, it's a very thoughtful gift. I really like the racing shoes." She added, which caused Christian to tell them again that it was his pleasure and that he hopes to see the little boy in some of the clothes, the silent insult at Mercedes well heard by the two driver.

"How are things if I may ask? It could be any day now, right? Max doesn't tell us much, even though everyone keeps asking him questions." The Brit said, a side glance at his driver, before he focused on Joanna again. She looked well, happy enough and relaxed for now.

"I'm well, we both are. The time away from the paddock did me good. It was a lot quieter at home." Joanna told him, a gentle smile on her lips, while she was holding onto Max's arm, so Christian could see both of them. They were walking, in their garden most likely.

"Is that Max? Did they like the baby clothes?" A voice from behind Christian asked before his wife could be seen, that waved delighted at the Austrian and Dutchman in greeting. They spoke a bit more, promised to keep Christian updated and to let him know if Joanna and the baby might come along for the final race in about a month so the team could meet their boy. Max and Joanna promised to think about it before they ended the call and turned their attention to Patrick, who had moved away from the planting and came over to them the moment he noticed Max and Joanna. Of course he kept a respectful distance as not to listen to the conversation they had but also close enough to be there the moment they would want to speak to him.

"How is the planting going?" Max asked after they greeted the young Austrian.

"Very well sir." He answered. "Now that all the underwood is removed and the pipes for the stream are installed, we are well on schedule." Patrick said before gesturing of the little stream and lake they installed the about 140-year-old Oak trees adoring each tiny shore that was built with every movement of the artificial stream.

"It looks amazing already, I can't wait to see it when all the flowers are blooming." Joanna told Patrick, who gave her a soft smile.

At first, he wasn't very supportive of the idea to turn a part of the forest into a park but now he saw its appeal. Joanna thankfully refused to cut down the old and majestic trees and just ordered a transformation of the ground floor. The stream fitted amazingly well into the forest, and it was a genius idea to plant all these flowers which would bloom in the spring rather than buying the cut flowers for the wedding. They would have their own little paradise here to marry at with the Lauda House and the free lawn attached to the house would leave enough space for the guests, but they would marry here. At the end of the stream guarded by the ancient trees in the little pavilion they would still have to build while the floor would be Covered un flowers, only the paths which were designed to walk on free to do exactly that.

"You're sure you won't need more gardeners?" Joanna then asked him, which caused the young Austrian to shake his head.

"It's more work yes, but we all would rather work around the clock than to let anyone else work in our garden." Patrick said, before realising what he just said, he moved to apologise about calling Joanna's garden 'their' garden, but Joanna simply brushed him off.

"I guess you are right, it is our garden." She told him, while taking a few steps towards the stream. "It's amazing what you create here. Nevertheless, I would like you to take your rest and breaks. Please make sure that everyone sticks to it, including you."

"Of course, Ms Lauda." Patrick said, before giving back Max and her a nod, before he returned to planting tulip bulbs.

"Something tells me it will take them years to address you properly after the wedding." Max told her as they were slowly making their way back to the house.

"What do you mean?" Joanna wondered, causing Max to lift their joined hands for Joanna to see, the ring on her finger glittering in the gentle autumn sun.

"You're trading your name for mine, have we already forgotten that?" max wondered out loud, his ton teasingly, which caused Joanna to lift her other arm to return the hand Max was holding back to their sides.

"How could I ever forget that?" She asked. "After convincing me took so much of your energy." Joanna added, while Max rolled his eyes fondly at her.

"But I see your point, but they won't be the only once, who will have a hard time not using my maiden name." She told him honestly.

"I feel Adrian will call you Ms Lauda until the day he dies." Max pointed out. "The press and teams will get used to it eventually, but he won't." They both laughed softly at that.

Yeah, it would take some time for people to get used to calling her Joanna Verstappen, but she quiet liked the ring it had.

She liked what it meant.

For once she liked to follow traditions and give up her name for her husband's as it was common in Austria even though she was a Lauda and she was sure her father would be turning in his grave the moment she would lay off their last name, but there already was a Max Lauda, and she wouldn't open doors for such confusion.

"As long as you get used to it." Joanna said while smiling up at Max, who stopped walking, to cup her cheeks in his hands for a moment inly to look at her. The love of his life, the mother of his child, his soon to be wife. He smiled as well before he kissed her sweetly.

"Ah, returned to have breakfast?" Adrian spoke, causing Max to break the kiss before exhaling slowly and looking over his shoulder to look at the old Austrian, he was about to say something as Joanna's hands on his upper arm suddenly tensed, alarming him enough to look at her.

"J?" He asked, but the Austrian did not look up, her head was titled to the side so all Max saw was her expression of pain, which told him enough. Without wasting a moment of time, he moved to pick her up effortless.

"Breakfast has to wait." He told Adrian was he moved past the old Austrian. "Get me my keys." He ordered, while the old Austrian followed close behind them.

"You're not driving." Joanna told him, even though her face was pulled into an expression of pain.

"I'm a professional and I don't trust an ambulance to be here on time." He told Joanna, who's hand around his shoulder tensed once more.

"Max." She muttered in disagreement, but Max ignored her in favour to run as fast as he could through the house to the garage.

<><><>

"Max." Joanna muttered weakly causing the Dutchman to look away from the doctor he had watched with a worried expression while biting his lip, which was standing between his soon to be wife's legs and commanding her to push every once in a while but for now the Austrian had a moment to breath. Max's eyes caught the bloody sheets between Joanna's legs which were soaked even though he didn't see anything else from this position. Causing him to tighten the hold around her hand once more while using his other hand to push a strain of sweaty hair behind his fiancée's ear.

"Hm?" He wanted to know causing Joanna to allow her head to rest back before it lolled over so she could look at him.

He had been all giggly and excited as Joanna went into labour, but it had morphed into worry and fear with every hour that ticked away in which Max had to watch Joanna in such agony without a way to help her. Everything had been aright, not long before, he had closed the buttons of Joanna's hospital gown at her shoulder, while the Austrian smiled as the nurses complimented her for her carrying partner and joked that they would like their own husbands to be a bit more like the Dutchman. Joanna had only smiled and looked at Max with a found expression while the Dutchman smiled back before pressing a small kiss to her shoulder, but like usually, nothing ever worked out as hoped with them.

Max was so happy about finally meeting his son, that he forgot his fiancée's fragile health, for just a moment, it was enough to bath him in ice water and weak him up to the reality of the situation the moment the doctor's started to share worried glances. He couldn't understand how people wanted to have a second child after going through all this. Joanna was so deadly tired, her strength and energy gone. Sweaty and sickly pale.

"If you tell me once more to 'keep pushing' I will break your fingers." She told Max matter-of-factly, which caused the Dutchman to smile lovingly at her before moving forward to kiss her temple. Joanna was always good for a surprise not only on track but also in their everyday life he knew that but he was glad to be remembered of it right now. It was good to see that all the fight in her body wasn't lost yet. She was Joanna Lauda after all, not one to give up easily.

"Okay. Let's have this baby. You need to push now, Joanna." The Doctor said pulling both Max and Joanna's attention towards her and the task at hand. Delivering their son safely into this world.

The birthing process wasn't easy on Joanna by any means it took long, too long already. Her strength has run out and her body was begging her to finally stop this madness, but it was too late for a c-section. They were in the final stage of the birth and all she could do now was closing her eyes, follow the doctor's instructions and go through with it.

"Max." She muttered in a short break between contractions. "On my side of the bed, in the top drawer of the bedside table, there is a key. You can use it to unlock the safe behind the Van Gogh in the study, together with a six-digit combination of numbers that the lawyer will give you when I'm dead." The Austrian told him, causing the blood in Max's veins to freeze.

"Joanna." He warned her, not ready to hear such things, but the Austrian needed to tell him now, she needed him to know, and she didn't want to address it before. Joanna had no desire to worry Max, but he needed to know these things.

"Inside there are all the documents you need, I had them put on for just this case. The house goes to you, just like everything else. You are my heir should the child die with me, if not it will automatically pass to him when he's 21." She told him, not stopping until all the information he needed was spoken.

"Don't say that." Max pleaded with her while he held onto her hand tightly, before leaning down and kissing her forehead again and again. "Please don't say that." He echoed again, while holding onto her tightly.

"We both know this situation is critical right now." She muttered weakly. "Promise me ... you will visit the flower park in spring." Joanna uttered. It was a clever design, once the tulips would bloom, they would reveal the secret they are hiding, the message Joanna left there for Max.

"I promise." Max answered her which caused Joanna's expression to relax for the first time in so long, a small smile tugging at her lips, until her expression morphed into one of pain once more.

Another scream ripped through the Austrian while clinging to Max's hand for dear life. The Dutchman didn't even utter a word about how tightly the Austrian squeezed his fingers, he was glad to feel that there was some strength left in her after all as he dutifully held her right hand with his right hand while he had reached around her shoulder with his left arm to hug her to his body. His head nearly resting on her shoulder.

"For better or worse." Max muttered into her hair. "J please, for better or worse."

Things have taken a turn drastically. From joking with the nurses and teasing Max about becoming a father while laughing heartily to telling him where her will was hidden and weakly holding onto Max's hand in between contractions, her face white as a ghost with nearly no contrast to the sheets, her skin clammy with cold sweat while it took her longer every time to open her eyes again.

"One more Joanna and you will meet your baby boy." The doctor told them, causing Joanna to reach over with her left arm which had been laying on the side of the bed before only to bury her hand in Max's hair who pressed his lips against her temple over and over again whispering sweet encouraging things close to her ear while the Austrian's blue lips left a scream until suddenly everything was silent, and Joanna flopped down against the bedsheets.

Her head lolled over so she could look up into Max's clear blue eyes already watching her. They did it, it was over, but their relief was only short lived. Max gaze moved to their son which was held by the doctor. Joanna wasn't strong enough to lift her head again, but Max's expression of worry hadn't changed causing her to furrow her brows.

Something was wrong. She felt it but she couldn't put her finger on it until. "He's not screaming." Joanna muttered quietly her realisation, her fingers which have gone numb from holding onto Max's hair so tightly let go only for her hand to slump against the bed as panic rose in her chest.

The Dutchman had moved to stroke gently over her upper arm to calm her down while having his eyes on their son and the team of doctors and nurses tending to him.

"Why isn't he screaming? Why is our son not screaming?!" Joanna wanted to know desperately while Max's eyes followed the doctor who did her work on a separate station in the room. Joanna's weak and exhausted pleads and cries for their child grew louder until they suddenly heard a strong and heartily wailing from the new born causing his mother to take a deep breath.

"He's fine, Joanna." The doctor promised. "We're just taking him to do some quick tests." she added.

"Max." The Austrian whispered asking for her soon to be husband's attention which he presented her with right away.

"Go with him... Don't you dare leaving his side." looking at her surprised for a moment a glance at the doctor told him that they were fine with it which caused Max to dive down and kiss Joanna on the blue lips. He didn't want to leave her, not for one single moment, but she had ordered him to go with their son and he wouldn't refuse her, even though it was not easy to leave her in this state. Not when she was so weak.

"You're the love of my life. For better or worse. No funny buisness while I'm gone, Verstappen. You will be right here when we come back and you will be fine." Max hastily told her, already moving over to the door while still looking at Joanna. He had called her by his own name, Joanna noticed.

"I love you too." The Austrian replied weakly causing Max to look at her once more before his gaze was pulled towards his son. For the first time in his life did he lay eyes on their little miracle. He was perfect. The tiny hands, the sweet nose. Max couldn't take his eyes of him as he followed the nurse.

Joanna looked after them as long as she could before her eyes dropped shut and everything went dark. She was laying there, unconscious, bathed in cold sweat, her skin white as snow, her lips turned blue a long time ago. The only real colour was red, the blood the sheets were soaked in, the blood she had lost while bringing their son into this world. Even her golden hair looked dim as the doctors began to work on her.

<><><>

"Do you have a name?" The nurse asked as she finally handed the baby over to Max, who couldn't stop himself from smiling down at his tiny son, despite his deep rooting worry for Joanna. He wanted to be by her side as soon as possible and not waste any more moment of the boys life before he could meet his mother properly.

"Henrik." Max told her. "Henrik Daniel Verstappen."

The nurse smiled at him kindly, but Max didn't see it. He only had eyes for his son. Intelligent blue eyes were looking curiously up at him which caused Max to swallow.

"Can we go back to my fiancée?" Max asked her which caused the nurse to give him a weak smile, before telling him that the birth was very hard on Joanna and yeah, no shit Sherlock he knew, he was there, he was present and now he would like to go back to her. He did not care if she was covered in Sweat, blood and whatever else. It didn't matter, because she was still Joanna and he needed to make sure she was alright.

After telling the nurse to stop stalling and just let him see his fiancée, she hesitantly agreed before she brought Max to a new room. He had carried Henrik close to his chest, making sure ever few moments that the tiny beanie they put on his head hadn't moved in front of his eyes, so he could see his father. Before opening the door, the nurse moved close to Max and moved her arm underneath the boy, so should Max let go in shock, the baby wouldn't fall, which insulted Max highly. He would never drop his son, but as the door opened and he saw Joanna he understood why the nurses believed he might. A normal man might have, but they weren't normal. They have seen each other in terrible states already.

So, all Max did was smile down at his son, before he stepped over to Joanna, who was unconscious as the nurse had told him. She had lost a lot of blood, he remembered that the soaked sheets. They would haunt him in his dreams. He came to a halt at the side of the bed, her skin still sickish pale but they had cleaned the sweat off her skin. Her lips still tainted blue. Nevertheless, he reached out with one arm after making sure Henrik was safely resting on his other, before touching her hand. She was not warm, but not cold either. Taking a deep breath, he took a seat, still holding Joanna's hand while he looked down at their son.

"Let me introduce you to your mother then." He muttered a bit dimmed. "Henrik, this is your mummy." Max started but his voice cracked, causing him to take a deep breath before smiling down at his son who was watching him with interest. He couldn't cry now, or he would ruin the introduction. His son deserved to know all these things about his mum and he was determined to tell him now.

"She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and she knows it, which is annoying sometimes. She laughs about ever dumb joke your old man makes, even though she tries to pretend she doesn't. When she smiles ... by God, that's something else." He paused for a moment to gently tap against the tip of the boy's nose, causing him to scrunch his nose up, just like his mother does in the same adorable way. Max couldn't deny it, he had already fallen in love with his son, the moment he looked up at him with Joanna's intelligent blue eyes.

"She doesn't smile often not like that but if she does ... I hope she will smile at you each and every day. She's fiery, willing to go to hell and back for the ones she loves, and she loves you so much already. Mummy loves you Henrik, and when she wakes up, she will tell you the same. She's strong and clever, very stubborn and sharp-witted and if you're just a tiny bit like her, you will make this a better world."

<><><>

Max looked like death. That was the first thing Joanna noticed as she opened her eyes. The circles under his eyes were deep and almost violet, his eyes a little unfocused and his movements slow and uncoordinated. God, when was the last time he slept? Joanna was deeply worried about him, she had never before seen him like that. Max was always the strong one, the one she could lean on when her mind went to dark places or when she was scared about something. Now she was scared for Max.

He looked like a mess, just like Joanna was feeling most of the time. Something was very wrong with him. She was just glad that he was here. She also desperately hoped that Christian had enough sense to not let Max drive in this kind of state. Her child needed their dad after all once it was born.

That thought caused Joanna to put her hand unconsciously onto her small baby bump confusing her. It was far too small. Something was wrong, not only with Max put also with her. Their baby was gone, her belly was feeling strange, not growing anymore, the feeling of live suddenly gone. The Austrian couldn't take it if something had happened to their baby.

"Hey." Max suddenly muttered surprised, to really believing what he saw. Joanna was looking at him, confused and exhausted but definitely awake and her eyes focused on him.

"What... Where is he?" Joanna muttered, causing Max to turn away from her only to enlarge her fear. She had lost the baby and now not even Max could look at her anymore. He must hate her. They went through all that only to come out of it empty handed. Again.

"J." He said, pulling her attention back to him, but it did not stay there but on the tiny bundle he was now carefully holding with both hands. Oh, she thought. The baby was alright. Just sleeping in his own bed on the other side of Max.

"Meet our son, Henrik." He told her, while carefully handing the baby over to Joanna, who took him with so much care and fear she would hurt him, as if the boy was made of glass.

"Henrik?" She asked which caused Max to nod with a smile. The name felt strange on her tongue, saying it for the first time, but something inside her shifted in that moment and she couldn't think of any other name she would rather call their son. It was turned into a given, she would say that name a lot for the rest of her life.

"Henrik Daniel, actually." Max explained while he moved to sit on the side of Joanna's bed to be close to his tiny family.

"Do you like it?" He wanted to know which caused Joanna to look up from their son to Max. The boy had his eyes, the clear steel blue. She would recognise the devotion everywhere as Max's. She wondered how she could think for even the slightest moment that she would not look at this tiny version of Max and fall utterly and completely in love with him. He was their son, and he was perfect.

"It's perfect." Joanna uttered back, before she leaned her head on Max's shoulder while watching Henrik laying in her lap causing Max to press a loving kiss against her temple.

"Henry Verstappen for short." Max muttered and Joanna had no other choice, but to reach up to turn Max's face to hers so she could kiss his lips. "You did good." She told him, their foreheads touching gently.

"You too." Max replied, before their attention was pulled elsewhere as the door gave a sound as it opened, only for a nurse to walk in and smile softly upon seeing Joanna awake and holding their son already.

"I think it's time for the first family picture." She told the couple, causing Max to nod, before unlocking his phone and handing it to the nurse, who took a picture of the tiny family.

Later on, as Joanna was sleeping after the doctor and nurses have checked her over, Henry with her on the bed, Max leaned back in his chair and unlocked his phone again before looking at the very first picture of their tiny family. They seemed so in love, both smiling into the camera, while Joanna held their son, and Max's hand rested on hers, but their barely were able to take their eyes from their son, the next picture already showing how they were looking down at Henry again.

Max decided to send a picture of Henry and one of Joanna and Max holding him together with a smile on their faces to their closest friends and family. He drafted a short text similar to the ones his sister had shown him she would like to use. Telling family and friends how heavy and tall the boy was, that Joanna was doing alright and that they were overly delighted to welcome him into their family, before telling the people they trusted most the name of their son. It was important to him to send this before posting anything online. He wanted his family and friends to learn about Henry through him and not social media.

Christian was the first one to congratulate. Asking if he could let the team know and writing that a lot seemed to have happened since they spoke to each other this morning and yes Max had to agree. He drafted a social media post, a picture where Joanna and he could be seen holding a tiny bundle but nothing more. He wouldn't show Henry to the world just yet. For now, he was their little secret. He told Christian to go on, before he posted on Instagram and used Joanna's account to repost it. Max was about to put his phone away for good as he saw an incoming text from his dad.

I know we don't talk at the moment, but I want you to know that I'm glad to see that Joanna and your son are well. I would like to meet my grandson in the future on your term if you will have me.

Max read the text twice before he left his father on read. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.8K 1.2K 26
Ivory Reyes is the stepsister of Lewis Hamilton,7 time F1 world champion But what happens after she has an affair with his biggest rival on the grid...
558K 16K 59
The past and the present. Then and now. Hate and love. Or was there never hate and only just love? -- This isn't just a typical story, this is a st...
35.8K 502 26
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 she is Daniel Ricciardos sister. She is the less successful, living in the shadow of her brother. Daniel races for McLaren along side...
48.1K 1.3K 31
Max Verstappen x Charles LeClerc Fears, familys and careers They were rivals then became best friends. What happens next? Mature story: Contains ero...