SONGS AND TRAILS (Book 1)

Von Enara_F

Greyenvir Institute is a perfect place to go when one wants to run, one wants to think and one wants to look... Mehr

SYNOPSIS
FORE WORD
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
TRAILS
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
EPILOGUE
ANNOUNCEMENTS

CHAPTER 32

8 3 0
Von Enara_F

"What do you mean we're stuck?" Arabella paced. "You see, this is why I wanted you to stay outside... What part of staying outside the wards did you not understand?"

An argument had risen.

"You're blaming me?" Caldor asked in disbelief. "Your first idea was to run in here on your own. How different is this situation from your original plan?"

"So now it's my fault?" Bella looked at him.

"Why don't we all just calm down?" Sesy said. "We're all just panicking for no reason..."

"I'm not, he's the one panicking." Bella blamed.

"Dear heavens!" Caldor rubbed his temples.

"I didn't need his help in doing anything." Bella snarled.

"You didn't need to need my help. I'm your master and I must ensure that..."

"You're not my master!" Bella snarled. "You are a pain in the ass! Always have been. You never once wanted to teach me. You gave me an ultimatum that you knew I wasn't going to pass... you are the one who denounced yourself as my master, Caldor."

Caldor just looked at her.

"So stop pretending that you care." Bella told him. "You don't!"

"I do." Caldor's voice was not a rant.

"No! You don't." Bella turned away. "So leave me alone. I'll figure things out on my own." She hugged herself.

Caldor looked at her, eyes softening but she had given him her back. "I know you're hurting after what happened with the girl..."

"No! You don't. You don't know anything." she said, voice breaking.

"Trust me, I do."

"You didn't have to lose everyone in your life and you don't know what it feels like to lose more." she spoke. "So please, keep away from my business."

Caldor was out of words. He turned to Sesy and squatted to her height.

"You said we shouldn't panic, is there another way out?" he asked her.

Sesy cleared her throat after that very intense argument. "At midnight."

"Midnight?"

"It's not a full moon but we sirens still have a few tricks up our fins." Sesy told him. "Midnight is the most dangerous because both the sirens and the Valprei are powerful but the full moon makes us overpower them... which is not present tonight. If you can fight your way out, we might be able to keep the ward open for you."

"Fight our way out? Fine with me." Caldor told her then turned to Bella who still gave them her back. He turned to look at Sesy.

"I'll talk to her." she told him. "You go ahead and rest. Near the waters is the safest place to be."

Caldor moved and sat leaning on a tree.

"Hey, Bella." Sesy moved to her side, leaning on the rocks at the water. "Bella!" she sang.

Bella turned to her with a sad smile. "What?"

"I knew you still loved my singing." Sesy teased then giggled. "I'm sorry about Queenie."

"How... how did you know?"

"Her soul was in the waters. I just didn't figure out it was you mourning her."

Arabella just stared at the ground.

"I know you're still hurting and I know to you it doesn't get better but don't let it consume you." Sesy said. "Like pappy always said, 'a new site, a new smile'"

Bella chuckled. "I'm pretty sure he didn't use that for that meaning."

"But if you take it and make different meanings, it makes sense. Have new beginnings, new smiles. Try to put color into your life. You can't keep wearing mournful colors all your life, you'll forever mourn. Try Bella. I want you to try and be happy and do things that we used to do, be naughty, cause trouble once in a while, let Mima scold you..."

"I think I'm already in trouble." Bella looked around.

"See? It's in the blood." Sesy hyped it up and Bella smiled. "You have a dark cloud above you, you always have."

"Seriously?"

"Yes. Try to get rid of it. Live, love, play, laugh, plan, fail, pass..."

"You sound like my mom." Bella grinned.

"I am a mom." Sesy grinned back.

"Thank you Sesy. I'll think about it." Bella put her hand over hers and Sesy smiled. "But you and I are still going to have that conversation."

"What conversation?"

"Tristan is your mate?" Bella started. "You didn't tell me he's beautiful."

"I did." she reminded. "...and he's mine."

"Remember that one time when we said we were going to share your mate if I don't have mine." Bella teased.

"I don't remember anything of that sort." Sesy pretended. "Maybe if we share yours."

"Don't worry, Caldor is all yours." Bella said.

"Should I feel offended?" he said his eyes closed, his back leaning on a tree. He looked gorgeous in that position.

Arabella stared and Sesy grinned. Arabella trembled in the cold.

"You're cold." Sesy said.

"How long till midnight?" Bella asked.

"Another two hours."

Arabella felt even more cold.

"Caldor!" Sesy called. "Is it true that members of the Dragon Flame's Order have inner heat?"

"Yes." he opened his eyes.

"So you don't feel cold?"

"I don't. Why?" he looked at Sesy.

"Bella is cold."

"I... I didn't know." he sat up straight. He had been too busy to notice her freezing in that dress. He never noticed the cold so he assumed she wasn't cold.

"Could you help Bella out? She's freezing."

Bella's eyes widened. "I'm fine. I don't need his help."

Caldor looked at Bella. "Suit yourself!" he closed his eyes again.

Sesy looked at her shaking her head and Bella just frowned.

It had only been ten minutes and Bella was shivering in the cold, her lower lip quivered and it didn't go unnoticed. She kept clenching and unclenching her teeth every time. The busy night kept her warm but as she stayed idle, the cold seeped through the pores of her skin.

"Come!" Caldor stretched out his hand.

"I'm fine!" Bella spat even when she could barely speak.

"Would you stop being stubborn for once and come over here?" Caldor demanded, waiting for her to go to him. His tone was hard and almost angry.

Arabella walked in spite to him and sat next to him. She was surprised at how warm he was. it was overwhelmingly beautiful she almost grabbed him. Caldor pulled her in front of him and his hand wrapped around her. He pulled her close to adjust her but she pulled away stubbornly. She wanted to adjust herself without him having to hold her. She struggled against him all the while.

Caldor grabbed her after he felt too disturbed, "Would you stay still?"

She didn't retaliate as her back rested on his front. Maybe it was the heat warming her attitude the same way it was warming her skin from the cold.

Caldor adjusted her onto him, wrapping his arms around her and intertwining their legs together. Their bodies were close, very close. No matter the closeness she still felt the need to get closer. She wanted the heat.

They were quiet enough for the other sirens to stop eavesdropping on their little arguments.

"What's going on...?" Caldor almost started but was stopped by Arabella's groan.

"I am not in the mood to be interrogated. See, this is why I didn't want to get into an entanglement with you."

"An entanglement?" He grinned looking at themselves.

She was quiet. She wasn't in the mood. Caldor didn't dare utter another word and they stayed like that. It was hard to fall asleep. For both of them. They weren't sure what was in their heads at the time being.

For Arabella, maybe she was contemplating the position she was in... losing the girl and the mother had taken a toll on her. She hadn't expected the same thing to happen to them, just like her father. He had lost him. And now that she was trying to make up for what had happened but failed again... miserably.

Her chest ached.

For Caldor, he just wanted her to stop feeling what she felt... guilt. It was hard for him to sleep, just thinking about her carrying that load on herself. Whatever had happened wasn't her fault and no one had seen it coming. No one had expected it. Not even himself. Not even Mima.

He said quietly, "I'm... sorry..."

Bella flinched at that.

"...for pushing you too much. I know what it feels like to try and protect someone, then lose them in the process of it all." she takes a shaky breath. "I know Queenie meant... something to you. Or maybe I may not know the reason why you were trying so hard to protect her but... I don't want you to feel guilty about it."

"How can I not?" she also spoke calmly this time. "I had promised her that I would locate her mother but I lied, she was already dead. I then promised the mother that I would take care of her but they killed her. I was so stupid not to tell you guys that the mother was dead. We shouldn't have gone looking for her. We should have stayed there and protected her. I should have stayed there and protected her." She sniffed, "She was little."

"I know." Caldor soothes.

"And I ended up throwing a fit to all of you... because I didn't want anyone to pity me. I felt as if... I deserved to feel bad for my failure... to be better at it next time. But I don't think there's ever going to be a next time."

Caldor turned her gently to face him and she didn't resist. "We make mistakes... multiple times, gods!"

Bella chuckled sadly. He used his thumb to wipe off a small tear on the corner of her eye.

"I make mistakes." He looked around and scoffed. "I literally led my whole class in the middle of nowhere, one of them almost died on the way and my job was on the line. Oh! Not to forget I'm with one of them in the dangerous parts of the forest where we could be killed at any time with some Valprei lurking around and about."

Bella chuckles again, "This part of the river is safe."

"What I mean to say is... I'll be making another mistake by letting you get in trouble out here." his gaze found hers and she melted on it. His voice deepened with meaning and a little guilt. "I was wrong. I was wrong but I didn't want to call myself out. I've been wrong before and..." He paused, "...and things ended up terribly. Ever since then, I have always been afraid of being wrong. You were right about me. I feel better proving someone else wrong than proving myself. I shouldn't have let you battle that Valpreiz as an ultimatum."

Arabella's gaze shifted somewhere else other than his eyes.

"So just... please... as much as you... dislike me..." His broken pleading voice was a silent murmur. Arabella gave a slight shake of her head but he went on. "...don't throw this away. Don't throw Greyenvir away just because I've been an ass, just because everyone has been a pain in your ass. Mia adores you. Even if Daya doesn't say it, she does too. So does Marietta, Rai... Arabella, you have friends and people that care about you. Don't single them out for everyone else."

"I'm sorry." She finally apologized in a small voice.

"No. You don't need to apologize. You've always been right and I've always been wrong."

"Not always. You just try too hard. I guess, we all try too hard."

Caldor placed a strand of hair behind her ear and pulled her close to his hold. The heat from him was so intoxicating that she released a shaky breath. "Sleep, Ms. Heydar. Get some rest."

His chin was on her head after she laid it back and before they knew it, they fell asleep.

Their eyes fluttered open when they both felt something wet and warm on top of them. They opened their eyes to Breena looking down at them with her big eyes. She crawled on top of them. They shifted in confusion and Breena got off them, running back into the water.

"They are awake." She said splashing in. She again peeped up at them. "He was very warm." she smiled.

Arabella and Caldor sat upright and noticed Sesy and the other two sirens in the water looking at them.

"We didn't want to be a bother but..." Sesy started, "...it's almost time."

Arabella nodded and rubbed her eyes. She couldn't deny how it was the best sleep she'd had, even if it was just for a little while. Arabella looked at Breena whose face was halfway above the water. Only the eyes.

"Isn't she supposed to be asleep by now?" Bella asked.

Sesy looked at Breena. "She gets excited over guests. Plus, she gives me a hard time putting her to sleep."

"Well, that sounds familiar." Bella gave her a knowing grin.

Sesy just smiled and rolled her eyes. She turned to one of the sirens with her. "Please take her inside."

The siren moved to Breena and carried her. "Come. Don't give mommy a hard time." They dipped into the water leaving.

Sesy turned to Arabella. "Tristan is the only one who can put her to sleep when she's this excited."

"Where's Tristan?" Bella asked

"He's on parol. He was just here because Breena was missing."

Caldor asked, "Don't you get worried about him?"

Sesy looked at him and then scoffed. "Of course I do. But every female is worried about their males out there. And if we prevent them from going out there, who is going to ensure our pod's safety? I know he's doing this for both of us and I can't stop him even if I wanted to. Tristan is strong... and needed."

The moon hit the waters and they glowed.

Sesy looked up and they followed her gaze. The barrier was glowing too. "It's the grace window." She turned to them. "It's only going to last five minutes. You need to be quick and quiet."

Caldor and Arabella got up and nodded

Bella asked, "When will I see you again?"

Sesy gave a small smile. "You'll find a way."

Arabella just nodded. "Bye. I love you."

"I love you too. Now go."

Caldor took Arabella's hand. "We need to go, Ms. Heydar." he turned to Sesy. "Thank you!"

"A favor for a favor!" Sesy nodded.

Caldor pulled Arabella into the woods and Arabella spared a last glance at Sesy in the water with a sad but glad smile.

They sprinted as fast as they could in the dark and as quiet as they possibly could dodging little and weak Valpreiz in the process. Caldor pulled Arabella behind a tree abruptly and she gasped. There was a snarl. A Valprei.

She held her mouth, suppressing whatever sound she thought she was going to make. Caldor was quiet. Arabella peeped and Caldor hesitantly let her. It was the same Valprei lurking around like the last time they had found Breena.

Arabella looked at Caldor and mouthed silently. "Why don't we jump?"

Caldor peeped at the Valprei then turned back to Bella, shaking his head, "I don't think I have enough in me for the both of us."

He had exhausted his energy on keeping them warm for the night. He didn't know how much essence he had left. If he made a jump, he wasn't sure how far he'd take them. Both of them. If he would have been alone, he would have tried. But he had to carry her too. They were out of time, he needed to think fast because the Valprei wasn't moving.

He looked at the Valprei, sizing it up, then at Arabella. "I need you to run." He whispered.

Arabella's eyes widened, "What?"

"Don't stop, I'm right behind you." He got out from behind the tree and blew a soft whistle towards the Valprei.

"Caldor..." She whispered in fear.

Again, the sound of his name from her almost distracted him.

The Valprei turned to him, snarling and growling and screeching. The sounds were terrifying.

Caldor spoke, "That's right... right here..." His side steps were slow and cautious. His knuckles started to glow.

If he was risking a fight, Arabella knew that she had to comply. She had to run. Really, really fast. She turned to the other side of the tree. The direction of where they had entered the wards.

The Valprei didn't waste time as it pounced at Caldor and he tackled the whole of its weight to the ground. He released it, only for it to crash a tree mercilessly. He was cautious in using whatever ounce of power that still lurked in his system.

He got up like the warrior he was. The scratches didn't seem to bother him. He could take it. Arabella shifted trees, away from the Valprei's view. If she was to run, she wanted to go unnoticed.

But this was otherwise for Caldor. "Just go. I'll hold him off." He urged her.

He again needed to take the Valprei's attention away from her direction, which he did, by pouncing an attack at it. It was brutal for both of them. He knew what he was doing. It's not like he's never wrestled a Valprei bare-armed before. It had been long though. It was actually what had earned him the ten out of ten in his DATC class and the attention of his past love.

Arabella sprinted away quickly, making a fast run for it.

Caldor was still on to the Valprei on the ground. Holding it, he burnt up and the Valprei jumped away from him, making a screeching noise. He was growing his inner fire.

Caldor jumped up. "Come on, baby, let's see how much heat you can handle?"

The Valprei again pounced at him and he tackled it down, punching him with his burning fists, leaving marks and smoke on its hard skin. The Valprei pushed him away and he landed on his back. He jumped back to his feet.

He hoped Arabella would be far enough by the time he got tired of wrestling that beast.

And when he finished counting the seconds left, he made that jump, following Arabella's essence trail.

Arabella reached the border but hesitated to step out without Caldor. And even when she did, she turned to look inside those woods, wanting to go back for him even when the barrier was forging back in place. And when she almost took that step back in the barrier, she bumped into a stumbling Caldor that appeared in front of her, getting out in time.

He lost his balance and they both stumbled on their steps, falling off the hill and rolling on dirt and grass. Caldor tried his level best to ensure Arabella didn't get hurt or hit her head in the process, thus he grabbed her tightly, wrapping his arms around her and balancing her off the ground.

By the time they slowed down to a stop near some bush, Arabella was on top of him, looking down at him with widened eyes. And the only thing he was able to blurt out was...

"Please, don't throw up on my face."

Arabella stared down at him for a second and then started to laugh. He joined in, the back of his head resting on the grass beneath him. She rested her head on his chest as they kept the laughter going.

"Are you okay?" he inquired.

"You wrestle Valpreiz?" she raised her head to look at him in disbelief.

"It's a... It's a hobby!" he grinned.

She giggled resting her head back on his chest, tired. He was still holding her tight against him, his arms wrapped around her possessively. The only thing remaining of them were their low chuckles and her giggles.

"So..."

They jolted, sitting upright after hearing Mia's voice drawl. The others, Daya and Mima were standing a few feet away, looking down at them.

Bella got up quickly. "Mima..."

Caldor followed up, taking his time.

"You guys found us." She was trying so hard to keep calm with a heart that was thundering nonstop.

"We came looking for you after you took so long to come back." Mima said.

"And we found them. Can we please go back to sleep now?" Daya turned to leave.

Mima asked, "Where were you guys?"

Bella walked towards them, followed by Caldor. "Long story short, we got stuck inside the dark woods after I went to help Sesy out."

The rest started their way back to the inn.

"You didn't tell me Sesy was married."

"Oh yes. Sesy is married." Mima simply said.

"And?"

"And?" Mima was clueless.

"Breena?" Bella inquired.

"Breena?"

"Mima!" Bella looked at her.

"Oh yes!" It finally clicked. "They have a son."

"A daughter, you mean?"

"They have another one?" Mima looked at her confused.

Arabella groaned as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Never mind!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

853 18 26
WARNING: MENTION OF MURDER, SEX, MATURE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, CRIME, CHEATING, TALK OF SELF HARM, UNDERAGE DRINKING AND DRUG ABUSE. TROPES: FRIENDS TO...
477 96 30
Before you begin this story, I must warn you first. This is not a tale of dashing knights and lovely damsels awaiting rescue. It is not the tale of h...
12.7K 1K 41
Obsession is the height of passion, but what does one do when they find themselves enthralled with their enemy. Talamayas Sol loses his mother when h...
613 72 18
There is not just one princess in trouble in this Novella, but two. Both are in need of protection and only one can do the protecting. When Vondra m...