The Yule Clause

By StarPhoenix12

Bernard has always done things by the book, but when a new Santa comes to town with his niece. The Head Elf f... More

Chapter One. First time for everything
Chapter Three. Saw that
Chapter Four. Try to be jolly
Chapter Five. Realization
Chapter Six. Bernard, it's cold outside
Chapter Seven. Some rules are meant to be changed
Chapter Eight. For Charlie's sake
Chapter Nine. Christmas Magic
Chapter Ten When we had each other
Chapter Eleven. I know you.
Chapter Twelve. Déjà vu
Chapter Thirteen. Broken Christmas Memories.
Chapter Fourteen. Christmas in July.
Chapter Fifteen. My Christmas Spirit.
Chapter Sixteen. He is too Santa!!
Chapter Seventeen. Santa's blessing.
Chapter Eighteen. The yule clause
Chapter Nineteen. S.O.N.S (Save our New Santa)
Chapter Twenty. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Chapter Two. The New Santa

181 2 0
By StarPhoenix12

1994.

Bernard walked around the workshop with his sister making sure that everyone was in order for tomorrow night. As the new head elf, it was his job to oversee everything and to make sure that it went just right. And it had been going perfect for many years now, but this day he stopped and stared forward with a look of fear, surprise and a bit of confusion on his face.

Santa was on a roof delivering gifts when he lost his footing and fell off of it. "Bernard?" a voice asked.  He didn't recognize it at first, "Bernard!?" the voice said again, and this time he did.

He blinked and turned to his sister, who was looking up at him worried. "What did you see?" she asked, the other elves looked up from their work, they were worried as well.                                                                                                         "Poinsettia, could you handle things here?" she stared at him, because that was his job. Sure, she was with him, but her job is to keep him calm and jolly, apart from working at the wrapping station.  "Me? But Bernard I can't! I'm not the head elf." He smiled.                                                                                                                                                                                                     "You will be fine; I just have to speak with father." He ran off before she could speak. She turned and smiled awkwardly at the three elves staring up at her from the toys they were making. She went to check on something else. Once she did, the elves at the table started talking loudly as if they wanted her to hear them.                                                                                                "What is Bernard thinking?" one asked. "Yeah, she can't be in charge, she isn't qualified." another added. The third thought a bit. "Maybe she'll do fine, let's give her a chance." The first two agreed; they could hear Poinsettia and Quintin talking in south elfish,                                                                                                                                                                                      "I wish I knew what they were saying." The first one said. "Yeah."  The other two agreed. Sure, the North Pole elves wanted to know what the elves from the south talked about, but none of the north ones ever wanted to go to the South pole because just the thought of it sent shivers down their little spines. For that was the home of Krampus.

Bernard knocked on the door of Santa's office. "Come in!" he called, his son opened the door and walked in. "Father...can we talk?" he asked, closing the doors behind him. Santa was sitting at his desk double checking the list, he looked up and saw the worried look on his son's face. "Son, what's the matter?" "I just.... had this bad vision that something is going to happen to you on Christmas Eve." He looked at his father, who smiled. "Don't worry, everything will be fine." Santa promised.                                                                                                                                                                                             "This isn't like the one about Curtis making a copy of me, and it taking over, is it?" Kris chuckled. Bernard shook his head.                                                                                                                                                                                                               "Then you don't have anything to worry about. Besides, your visions don't always come true."  the elf wanted to believe his father, but he wasn't able to shake his feeling. "But this one is different!"                                                                     "How so?" Father Christmas was more concerned now.                                                                                                        "You fall off a roof!" the head elf shouted. His father ridiculed him. "That won't happen, I've been doing this job for years." "But Father what if-"                                                                                                                                                                "Son you're worrying about nothing." Bernard looked down maybe his father was right. "How are things at the workshop?" Mr. Claus changed the subject because he didn't want his son to worry about nothing. "Good, everything will be set for tomorrow night's flight." "Wonderful." Santa stood up, but then realized that his daughter was missing. "Where is your sister?"                                                                                                                                                                                                         "The workshop, I left her in charge so I could talk to you." Bernard explained, not sure how his father would react to that. Santa raised an eyebrow.  "You left her in charge?"     "Yes, but only for a bit. Better her than that chestnut-brain Curtis." Bernard sat on the couch. "Father, Poinsettia would be a great Head Elf maybe she and I could both be-"                                               "Bernard, I would love for your sister to be a Head Elf, but she isn't ready to take on such a big responsibility, and she understands that." Santa explained for the 100th time. "That's why I chose you for the job." Bernard nodded as he looked down, his father sat beside him. "But maybe someday that will change." The jolly old man said only to get another nod from his son. "Well, I should go back to work." The head elf stood up and started to leave but stopped when his father called to him. "Don't forget to stay calm."                                                                                                                                                  "I won't Father." Bernard smiled then left without another word.

When he returned to the shop, he couldn't find his sister anywhere. He turned to an elf wearing a princess hat sitting next to her boyfriend Kenny at the wrapping table. "Judy have you and Kenny seen Poinsettia?" she looked up at him. "No, not since you left." That concerned him though he didn't know why it did, because if she was upset, he knew that she would go talk to Quintin. He thanked Judy then went to find his sister.

After a long time, he finally found her in the stables sitting in the sleigh with Quintin. Bernard hopped in between them; Quintin gave him an 'Are you serious?'  look "Are you alright?" he asked in south elfish, it's the language they spoke at home, but when in the workshop they spoke north elfish to the others. She leaned against her brother's shoulder.  "Yeah...fine." She replied in the same language.  Bernard looked over at his friend, who gave him a shrug                                          "Settie, please tell me what's bothering you." She sighed.                                                                                                  "I don't know, maybe it's just the fact that the North elves talk about our people behind our backs." She said trying to contain herself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                "I know it upsets us too." Quintin responded, taking a hold of her hand. It was no secret that the South and North elves didn't get along, but it made sense, if you think about it. the elves from the North work to bring hope and joy to the children of the world, while the ones from the south do the opposite. "You would think that after father and mother got married, things would be different." Poinsettia muttered; Bernard and Quintin agreed.                                                                                 "They might be jealous." "Why's that?" she looked up at her brother "Because we can reach things on the high shelfs and they can't." Bernard joked. Poinsettia and Quintin laughed; she hugged her brother "Thank you, Bernie." She smiled, "Of course." He returned the smile; the three always knew how to cheer each other up.

Bernard didn't sleep a wink that night, he still couldn't stop worrying about his vision. He tried telling himself not to worry but it didn't seem to work. He got up and went to the kitchen for a late-night snack to set his mind at ease.                                            "Hello Bernard, what can I get you?" the cook asked once he was seated at the table.  "Can I have a black coffee?" Another thing that made the south and north pole elves different, were their preferred beverages, Santa's elves drank Cocoa, while Krampus's elves drank coffee. Sure Bernard, Poinsettia, Quintin, and Mrs. Claus drank cocoa.  They liked coffee a bit better. The cook rolled her eyes as she made the disgusting beverage.                                                                                                                         "Is everything okay?" she asked, setting his cup on the table.                                                                                                             "Yeah, fine." He didn't want to worry her with his vision, she wasn't sure if that was the truth or not, then again this was Santa's son, so why would he lie? "Duh he's also the son of a South Pole Elf, and everyone knows that they're liars, cheats, and downright mean." She thought to herself;                                                                                                                                   "Does it have something to do with your vision?" he didn't question how she knew about his vision because when he had one, the whole North Pole would know, even if they didn't know what it was about.                                                                    "Ginger, can I ask you something?" he looked at her, ignoring the question.                                                                                          "Sure." She didn't look at him, because she was mixing dough for some gingersnap cookies.                                             "Do you think an elf should go with Santa tonight?" She stopped needing the dough and turned around. "Oh, lords a leaping never!" she cried. Bernard snorted. "Yes, how silly of me for asking." He stood up. "Thanks for the coffee." He left; Ginger picked up the cup to see that it was still full.  "South Pole Elves." She murmured under her breath rolling her eyes once again as she poured it into the sink.

The rest of the day was busy as usual, checking and rechecking everything to make sure it was perfect for tonight. Bernard watched from the corner silently as his mother talked to the other elves. "Bernard?"  Poinsettia came up behind him, he turned to her. "What's got your nickers in a knot?"                                                                                                                 "I just can't shake this bad feeling."                                                                                                                                    "Because of your vision?" he shrugged his shoulders in reply, then shook his head.  He couldn't explain it to her because he didn't want to worry her, just then an idea came to him. "Poinsettia!" he said loudly, some of the elves looked at him as they walked past. he grabbed his sister by the arm and pulled her out of the stables.  "Where are you taking me!?" she asked as she was dragged through the workshop and up the stairs to outside of the candy room, which was luckily empty. "Bernard what is this-"                                                                                                                                                                      "I want you to go with Father tonight." He whispered, she stared at him.                                                                           "You WHAT!?" she shouted loudly to be quickly shushed by her brother. "Are you crazy?" she whispered. "I have never left; I don't know anything about the outside world, and an elf has never gone with Father, because Santa works alone."        "Yeah. I know, but Poinsettia I'm worried, because of my vision..." he muttered "And you're the only elf who can turn invisible. So please, I need you to do this for me." He was speaking much quieter than before. She sighed. "Fine, but if I get caught, I'll make sure Father puts you on the naughty list." Bernard threw his arms around her.  "Thank you so much!" "Yeah, yeah." He let go of his sister and went back to the stables to talk to his mother, so she wouldn't see her daughter climbing into the sled after putting a gift in it.

Neal honked the horn of his car in front of Scott's house. A 16-year-old girl opened the door, and smiled at the car, as she made her way carefully down the stairs and over to it. "Hello Laura, hi Charlie." The teenager greeted when they got out of the car. "Mack!" he smiled, hugging her. "Hello Mack." Laura said looking around her, to see if her ex-husband was home.  "If you're looking for Uncle Scott he's not here." Mackenzie said with a sigh, "I thought as much." Laura rolled her eyes.                                                                                                                                                                                                               "Do you guys want to come inside and wait?" Mackenzie waved at Neal, who was still sitting in the car. Mackenzie and Laura still got along, even though Laura and Scott were not married anymore. But Neal on the other hand, Mackenzie didn't like. He wasn't a bad guy, and he really cared for Charlie and Laura, but Mackenzie still didn't like him. Before Laura could answer, Scott's car pulled into the driveway, and he got out. "Oh sorry, I'm late." Scott walked over to them, "Hi." He kissed Charlie on the head. "No, you're not." Mackenzie murmured to herself. "Do you want to come in for a moment?" Scott asked his ex-wife, as Mackenzie led her cousin up to the door of the house.                                                                                                         "Neal's waiting in the car...so." Laura answered                                                                                                    "Why doesn't he come in?" Scott looked over at the car. Charlie turned to face him "Because Daddy, he says that you'll say something snotty." The 8-year-old said putting a gift on top of the one his mom was holding.                                             "You got that right." Mackenzie chuckled. "Not necessarily." He waved at the car as he added that it could be rude or sarcastic. Neal half-smiled back as he waved too. "Okay, I gotta go." Laura said "Come on, it's Christmas Eve." Scott said walking up the stairs. "Watch the steps, they're real slippery." He warned as he opened the door. Laura slipped; Mackenzie laughed. "He told ya."  Scott chuckled.

Mackenzie led Charlie over to the tree, so he could put his gifts with the other ones. He looked around at the ones under the tree. "There's not a lot of presents under the tree." Charlie said walking up to his dad, who just entered the room. "That's because Santa hasn't been here yet." Mackenzie said.                                                                                                                     "Neal doesn't believe in Santa." The boy answered, "Well his head comes to a point." Scott countered.                                      
      "He's smart, because he's a doctor." Charlie reminded. "He's not a doctor, he's a psychiatrist." Mr. Calvin walked into the kitchen but turned around and looked at his son. "Take your coat off, you're sticking around, aren't you?"  Scott went back to the front room, to talk to his ex.  Laura called out to Neal letting him know that she would be there in a second.                                                "I just want to-" she started but was cut off by Scott, "Did that Jerk tell Charlie there was no Santa Claus?" Scott asked angrily as he closed the door.                                                                                                                                                                          "What? No, oh Charlie came home in tears because some big kid, told him that Santa Claus isn't real." Laura said. Scott nodded, waiting for the part when Neal proved himself to be a good father.                                                                
   "Neal sat him down and_" "And told him that there is a Santa Claus?"  Laura explained that Neal told Charlie that Santa was a feeling and a state of mind. "So? There's no difference then when you told Mack that was no Santa Claus." She finished. Scott looked confused. "I never told her that." Mackenzie just woke up one Christmas morning and didn't believe anymore. "But don't change the subject, because I want to be a part of destroying our son's illusions with you."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                "Yeah, but you're never around, are you?" They started bickering, then she started mocking the Do-It-All-Dolly. "Why do you guys always fight?" Charlie asked coming around the corner, with Mackenzie who was staring at the adults with her arms crossed. "We're not fighting, your mom was singing...it kind of sounds like fighting, a little like cats." Scott tried to cover up, as he made cat sounds. His niece rolled her eyes., Laura looked like she was done with her ex.                                                                          "The truth is, Neal and your mom, they don't believe in Santa, because they were really naughty." Scott said. Mackenzie smirked to herself, because she could believe that.                                                                                                 "Yeah, and I'm sure they're going to get lots of coal in their stockings." She added. "I don't know. It seems kind of babyish to believe in that kind of stuff." Charlie put his arm on the shelf.                                                                                              "What are you talking about? I believe in Santa Claus and I'm not a baby." Scott said. "Well..." Laura shrugged her shoulders. "I think it's time you left." He went to the kitchen, and got out a cook book.                                                                                "Yeah, you don't want to keep Dr. Pinhead waiting." Mackenzie said following her uncle, Laura and Charlie hugged good-bye.                                                                                                                                                                                    "Do you gotta go?" he asked quietly. He liked hanging out with Mackenzie but didn't really want to stay overnight. Laura looked over at her ex and niece, who looked back at her. "You're going to have a great Christmas with your daddy and cousin." Laura replied. "You're going to pick me up tomorrow?"                                                                                                            "Yes."                                                                                                                                                                                    "Sunup, and you're here?" the 8-year-old asked a bit louder than before. His mother chuckled. Scott looked over at them, a little upset by Charlie's persistence. Mackenzie however was trying not to cry, because she missed that motherly love. Sure she loved her uncle and was grateful that he took her in, but she still missed her parents. Laura kissed Charlie's cheek. "Everything will be fine." She pulled him into another hug, "Merry Christmas Charlie, I love you." "I love you too mom." They broke the hug. She put him on the stairs, kissed him one more time, before telling him to be good and leaving. Charlie waved to his mom as she left.

                Charlie looked over at his dad and cousin. Mackenzie went over to sit beside him. "Four hours!?" Scott said checking his watch. "If you called, I could have cooked the turkey." "Mack?" she turned to her cousin.                                              "Do you believe in Santa?" he was hopeful. She smiled; "Of course I do." She leaned closer to him. "We will stay up late tonight so we can see him." she promised whispering. He nodded. "And maybe we will even meet an elf."                           "Have you ever met an elf?" he asked, Mackenzie shook her head, both of them missing the confused look on Scott's face.

Santa's sleigh landed on the Calvin's roof louder than he wanted to. He was scolding his daughter for coming along without telling anyone. "But Father, Bernard had a vision!"                                                                                                                     "Even so! You know better than this!" he yelled, she looked at her hands. Santa grabbed his bag of toys. "When we get home, you and your brother, and I are going to have a talk." He got off the sled, accidentally slamming his boots as he did. Poinsettia hoped that the Calvin's were heavy sleepers. She sat in the sled and watched him walk over to the chimney; he was mumbling in south elfish.

Mackenzie was woken up by Charlie running up the stairs and down the hall to his dad;  because they were sleeping downstairs so they could see Santa. she got up and quickly followed him but stopped halfway in the doorway of Scott's room. She heard a clatter and looked up.                                                                                                                                                   "There's a clatter!" Charlie cried, shaking his father. But Scott wasn't having it, he believed that his son had a nightmare. The boy kept trying to explain it to his dad that something else was going on.                                                                            "Uncle Scott wake up. I heard something too!" Mackenzie finally said walking into the room.                                                 "It's coming from outside." Scott was annoyed. "It's just the wind." He started to get out of bed. "Let's go back to bed." Just as he sat up, a thud came from the roof. Scott, Mackenzie, and Charlie looked at each other then looked up. "Somebody's on the roof."                                                                                                                                                                      "Maybe it's Santa." Charlie replied. Mackenzie agreed; she didn't believe in Santa anymore but that made more sense than someone trying to break in from so high up. Scott stood up and picked Charlie up and set him down on the bed. "I want you to sit here and stay with Mack!" Scott ran out of the room and past his niece. She walked over to the bed and sat on it next to her little cousin. "Do you think it's really Santa?" Charlie turned to her; she didn't want to be the one to tell him the truth about Santa, so she just shrugged. "One way to find out." She smiled standing up, "Let's go see." She left the room with Charlie close behind. Even though Scott told them to stay, they both wanted to see what was going on.

Scott ran outside, after throwing on his boots and coat. He backed up into the road so he could see the top of his house, and sure enough there really was somebody on the roof.                                                                                                   "Hey, you!" he called catching Santa off guard, he lost his footing and slid down the roof. Santa's daughter couldn't react quick enough; a very loud scream, which Scott mistook for the man falling off the roof, came from the top of the house. Kris wished that he hadn't brush off his son's warning but there wasn't anything he could do about it now. Then there was a loud thud; Poinsettia carefully got out of the sleigh to get a better look, she could see a brown-haired man looking over her father, clearly unsure what he should do about the man lying in the snow in front of his house. Then the front door opened and slammed shut. Scott turned to see Charlie and Mackenzie making their way down the stairs. "Stay there." He told them, but they didn't listen. Mackenzie walked over to him. "Charlie, stay up there." The adult turned to his niece. "Mack, you were supposed to be watching him." "I am watching him, just not inside the house." she sassed.                                                                            "You killed him!" the 8-year-old boy ran over                                                                                                                         "Did not!" The man replied.                                                                                                                                                 "Yeah, you kinda did." the 16-year-old girl added. Poinsettia covered her mouth so she wouldn't make another sound, she felt tears starting to fall. She had to get back to the pole and tell everyone what happened, but the gifts had to be delivered. She could hear the man reading the card so she thought that maybe he could finish the job, not that she wanted the man who killed her father to be the new Santa, but what choice did they have? The boy was too young, and the teenager.... Poinsettia shook her head, that didn't seem right. She knew that Bernard would take over but he still has it in his head that he can't do it because he's an elf. So, it had to be the man but first she needed to get his attention. She walked up to Donner.               
   "Okay Donner, I need you and the others to get Scott's attention and listen to him." she whispered in north elfish to the lead reindeer. He nodded, then shook so the bells on his harness would chime.  The three humans looked up and backed up so they could see what made that sound on the top of the house, when they heard the sound of bells chime. They were confused to see the sleigh and reindeer on the roof.                                                                                                                                         "Dad! Mack!" Charlie tapped both of them on the arm, so they would see that Santa disappeared.                                           "He's gone!" Charlie ran over with his dad and cousin.                                                                                                      "He's naked somewhere." Scott looked around for the missing man. Mackenzie stared at him.                                      "Oh yeah, because that makes sense." She said sarcastically rolling her eyes, Charlie looked up at his dad. "You gonna put on the suit?"                                                                                                                                                                         "Yeah, Uncle Scott?" He turned to them.                                                                                                                                                "No. no."                                                                                                                                                                                                "But we wanna go too, right Mack?" Charlie looked up at her. she nodded because she wanted to see what would happen next.                                                                                                                                                                                                       "We're not going anywhere!"                                                                                                                                               "You never do what I want! But if Mack asked you then you would, because it's always what she wants!" Charlie cried. Poinsettia was sitting in the sleigh now, but she could hear them.                                                                                           "It is not! Now would you be quiet for a minute please, so I can figure this out." Scott walked around, mumbling to himself about everything that just happened.                                                                                                                                               "Mack, look it's the ladder." Charlie whispered; Mackenzie turned to see a ladder that seemed to magically appear leaning against the side of the house.  Scott turned and slammed his head into it. "Where the hell did this come from?"

Poinsettia could hear Scott shouting for Mackenzie and Charlie to come back down, but of course they didn't listen. The two humans, kind of reminded her of herself and Bernard when they were younger.                                                                          "Isn't this cool Mack!" Charlie was overjoyed.                                                                                                               "Yeah...but too bad about Santa, I hope Mrs. Claus will be okay." Mackenzie said petting Dasher.                                            
    "Mack! Mackenzie! Don't let him touch those things!" Scott shouted coming up the ladder, he was carrying the Santa suit and the bag. "Who knows where they've been."                                                                                                                           "The North Pole?" she sassed him again. which he didn't like. "They could have key lime disease." Mackenzie and Charlie went to the sleigh and got in. Poinsettia stayed quiet, as she hid in the back of the sleigh because she couldn't teleport, so she had no way of getting home until Santa finished his deliveries.                                                                                                              "Check out Santa's sleigh!" Charlie called; the elf smiled at the boy. "There's no such thing as-" the boy's father started "DON'T you dare!"  Poinsettia shouted before she could stop herself. The three humans turned and looked down but didn't see anyone. She knew that she could just stay hidden but also knew that she already blew her cover, so she might as well show herself. The humans jumped when the elf appeared out of nowhere, she looked back at them. She was wearing a shirt with a holly berry pattern and a pair of pine green leggings, and lastly brown boots. Her reddish-brown hair was pinned back with a Poinsettia pin, she looked 13.                                                                                                                                                  "Who are you?" Scott demanded.
"I think she's an elf!" his son answered. Poinsettia nodded. "She's an elf!?" Mr. Calvin didn't believe that at all. "Yes, well I am only half elf. My name is Poinsettia WinterPine." She introduced herself.                           
     "Hi! I'm Charlie Calvin, and this is my cousin Mack Wolfe! And my dad Scott!" Charlie smiled. Scott had enough of this craziness, and he just wanted to go back to sleep. "Well, it was nice to meet you Poppy, but it's time for us to go." He turned to his son and niece. "Hop out of there, now."  he waved for them to get out. But Charlie moved away.                                          
     "I don't wanna go."                                                                                                                                                                                 "Yeah, Me neither." Mackenzie said. Scott climbed into the sleigh; Poinsettia grabbed onto the side of it. Mackenzie looked at her, confused as to why she would do that. "Listen you two, I'm not kidding, let's go!" Scott shouted then all 8 reindeer took off. Scott fell headfirst into the back of the sled. Poinsettia couldn't stop herself from laughing, but it quickly hit her that she was in a sleigh that no one here knew how to fly.                                                                                    "I forgot to tell Quintin that I love him!" she thought to herself, "Oh holly berries! Or Bernard."  She hoped that she would see them and the rest of her family again. She knew that she would because Donner and the other deer wouldn't let anything happen to her.

The sleigh landed on another roof. "Oh thank goodness we're still alive." Poinsettia sighed in relief; the three humans looked back at her but didn't say anything.                                                                                                                                    "Now what?" Mackenzie asked her uncle.                                                                                                                      "He needs to get the bag of toys." Charlie replied for him, Scott turned to him. "Then what?" The elf rolled her eyes, "oh garnet this guy isn't the brightest light on the Christmas tree. "You go down the chimney." She said to herself. "Down the chimney, and go into a stranger's house in my underwear?" Scott leaned into his son's face. "No, you need to put the suit on." Mackenzie answered. Poinsettia and Charlie agreed. "Here's what we're gonna do is get out of here, because this is stupid!" Scott got out of the sleigh. "How come everything I want to do is stupid?" Charlie asked sadly. Poinsettia looked at him.                                                            "Don't worry, Charlie it will be alright...but if your dad doesn't deliver the gifts, then the spirit of Christmas will die and I'll be stuck on this roof for all eternity." She told him. Mackenzie turned to face her, wondering if that was supposed to cheer him up, because it seemed to upset him more. "I didn't say that." Scott turned to face the sleigh again.                
     "No but you kind of implied it." his niece also sounded sad, but it was the sad look on Charlie's face that got Scott to give in. The elf smiled at Mackenzie and Charlie as Scott murmured to himself as he put the suit on. "How do I know when to leave?" he asked putting the boots on. "The list?" Mackenzie responded.                                                                                                                "Oh of course, how silly of me." He got out of the sleigh and walked over to the back of it, where Poinsettia was still sitting, smiling up at him with a sad look. Once he grabbed the bag he started floating in the air.                                                 "Whoa, you're flying!" Charlie and Mackenzie said together.                                                                                           "I'm used to it, I lived through the 60's." Scott replied then was sucked down the chimney. Mackenzie turned to her cousin; he looked amazed by what just happened.                                                                                                                             "The 60's were some weird times." Poinsettia laughed leaning back and putting her arms behind her head. The two humans looked at her.                                                                                                                                                                          "How would you know that? You're only 13." The 16-year-old said making the elf laugh.                                                             "Well, I appreciate the compliment, but I'm actually 597." She smiled at the humans staring down at her with disbelief.
"Wow, you look great." Mackenzie complimented. "Oh thanks, my husband thinks so too." Poinsettia showed the two her wedding ring, it was gold with a gem in the shape of a bow. "That's so pretty!" Charlie smiled. She smiled again then yawed and started closing her eyes. "Wake me up, when your uncle gets back." She fell asleep in no time. Mackenzie turned back to her cousin, who just shrugged his shoulders.

Bernard was on his way to Cocoa's café when he came across Quintin standing in the middle of the village looking around. "Hey Quin!" the head elf called; the blond turned around with a smile, but it disappeared when he saw that Bernard was alone. "Something wrong?"                                                                                                                                                        "Yeah...have you seen Poinsettia?" Quintin asked, Bernard shook his head.                                                                        "No...I haven't, but you know Settie, she's probably off hanging out with Curtis." The brown-haired elf lied, but the blond shook his head. "No one has seen her...Bernard, I'm worried. It's not like her to just disappear." The head elf placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled.                                                                                                                                                  "She'll be fine." He promised. "Come on let's get some coffee."  The south pole elves walked over to the café. Bernard hoped that his sister would be, because if his vision came true...then she would be stuck in the human world with no way of getting home. He pushed his thoughts away because she could ask Donner to bring her home. The reindeer listened to Santa and his family, so she could still get home. The two sat at one of the tables. Quintin stared at him from across the table. "What?" Bernard didn't like that he was being stared at.                                                                                                                                "Why do I feel like you're hiding something from me, and that you know where Poinsettia is."                                            "Look if I did, then I would-"                                                                                                                                               "You had a vision, and then your sister goes missing?" the blond leaned closer.                                                             "Odd isn't it." Bernard swallowed; he was afraid that Quintin saw right through his lies. "Fine. You win! I'll tell you where she is." He looked around to make sure that his mother wasn't around to hear what he was about to say. "She's with Santa."                                                                                                                                                                                    "WHAT!?" Quintin shouted, the elves who were sitting next to their table, turned and looked at them, even though the two were speaking in south elfish, so they wouldn't have known what they were talking about. But the sound of the shouting still caught their attention. "Bernard, what in the mistletoe were you thinking?"                                                                "She'll be fine." Quintin could see that his friend also was nervous and afraid that something could happen to Poinsettia.

Once the sleigh landed back at the North Pole, Poinsettia jumped out of it, and ran over to another elf who just walked around the corner. "Who's that, where's Santa?" he looked up at her. "It's a long story but he's the new Santa." She responded. The other elf blinked. "What why, what happened?" "Tracy, I need to speak with my brother. Where is he!?" she demanded. "I saw him in the workshop with Mrs. Claus." Tracy answered. Poinsettia thanked him then ran around the corner disappearing; she hoped that she could get to Bernard before the other elves saw the new Santa Claus, not that it would make an ounce of difference; there was no turning back time now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 5
After centuries keeping the staff and hunting down Isu artifacts all over the world, Alexios is finally called to fulfill his destiny and deliver the...
3.8K 215 20
In a world where humans and werewolves are enemies and mates are no longer a luxury afforded to werewolves, Liam is shocked when he feels that unfami...
21.4K 230 12
A new student arrive at Nevermore and Wednesday feels attracted to him straight away, But what happens when a new monster threatens the lives of ever...
463 24 18
Bernard heard other elves talk about finding true love. After living a thousand years he'd not found it, always waiting one more day knowing full we...