Unsung Hero

By Baxterbro

Follow Spartan S-142 or Ash, an Experimental Spartan II, as his story starts on Reach. Being transferred to a... More

Noble Actual
Winter Contingency
ONI: Sword Base
Nightfall
Tip of the Spear
Long Night of Solace
Exodus
New Alexandria
The Packages
The Pillar of Autumn & Lone Wolf
Halo
The Truth and Reconcilliation
The Silent Cartographer
Assault on the Control Room
343 Guilty Spark
The Library
Two Betrayals
Keyes
The Maw
Halo 2: The Heretic/The Armory
Cairo Station
Outskirts
Metropolis
The Arbiter
The Oracle
Delta Halo
Regret
Sacred Icon
Quarantine Zone
Gravemind
Uprising
High Charity
The Great Journey
The Packages
The Babysitter
Starry Night
Believe
Landfall
Halo 3: Arrival
Sierra 142

Halo CE: The Pillar of Autumn

695 26 29
By Baxterbro

(Here we go!! The start of a new adventure.)

An orbital view of a Reach, a planet that was once lush with life, is now a desolate wasteland from Covenant glassing. Covenant ships fly above the dead planet.

Planet Reach

September 10, 2552 22:04 Hours

But on the planet lies a once live and bloody battle field, is now quiet and still, but with two figures walking through the carnage of Elite bodies. A Pelican is a little away behind the two.

The two figure's stop.

Cut to a view on the ground as someone's eyes open up, but everything's hazy. Above the person is two ODSTs, one with a sniper, their armor as Black primary and red secondary. The second one has a shotgun, with red primary and black secondary.

"Is he alive?" The one with a shotgun asks, they have a male voice.

"He looks dead." The one with a sniper asks, they have a female voice.

"Grab the leg's, I got the arms."

The two ODST grab the person on the ground and lift up.

"Dot, who even is this person?" The male asks. "Oh, god, he's heavy."

"Noble Six, a Spartan-II of Noble Team." Auntie Dot says through the male ODST's helmet.

"That' doesn't help." The female says.

The two ODSTs move Ash towards the Pelican.

"Can't you give us something better dot?" The male asks.

"Negative, you do not have clearance for that information."

"Give us something, Dot."

"...His designation has recently changed to Hyper-Lethal Vector." Auntie Dot informs.

"And what does that mean." The two ODSTs say at the same time.

"There's only one other Spartan with that designation, the Master Chief."

"Holy crap!" The two ODSTs yell.

The three reach the Pelican and yelling is hear in the distance.

"We might have been compromised." The Male says as the two move Ash into the back of the Pelican.

Suddenly plasma rounds fly around and a few hit the Pelican.

"Asher, get this plane in the air!" The female yells.

"On it, Ruby!" Asher yells.

Ash blacks out.

.

.

Ash comes to and sees Ruby firing her sniper rifle out the back of the Pelican as they fly up. A few rounds his her, but her shielding save her.

Ash blacks out.

.

.

Ash comes to as the Pelican rumbles and shakes, Ruby's standing near Ash.

"Asher, we need to lose them!" Ruby yells.

"Flying a Pelican is very hard!" Asher yells.

The Pelican roughly shakes as an explosion goes off outside of it. Ruby tumbles, but stops herself from falling over.

"Dot?" Asher calls out.

Auntie Dot's voice coms over the Pelican's speakers. "Front right engine has taken severe damage."

"Can we make it back to the Autumn?" Ruby asks.

"Yes, as long as we don't take much more damage."

Ash blacks out.

.

.

Ash snaps awake and groans. Ruby's kneeling over him with an empty stim in her hands.

"Vital's optimal." Auntie Dot informs.

Ruby lets out a sigh of relief as he falls onto her butt. "Don't die on us, Spartan. We went though much trouble to get you back.

"Dot, can you give us something about him?" Asher asks. "We nearly died for him, so we deserve something."

It's silent for a few moments before Auntie Dot is heard. "On July, 24 of this year. Spartan S-142 was transferred to Noble Team as Noble Six."

She goes on to explain Ash's time within Noble Team.

"Then after a week and a half of fighting, Six was once again left alone, to fight a losing battle with the Covenant." Auntie Dot finishes.

The Pelican is silent, Ash's vision starts to darken. Ruby takes off her helmet and sets it beside her. She puts a hand through her black hair with red tips, her silver eyes looking down on Ash. "Sorry, for all you went through to protect our home."

Ash's vision goes dark.

.

.

.

Ash comes to again, he doesn't see Ruby.

"This is Rose Two to Keyes'." Ash says. "We're approaching now and need a medical team immediately."

"Good work Second Lieutenant Rose." Keyes' says over coms. "How bad is it First Lieutenant Rose."

"It's bad, sir." Ruby says as she walks over to Ash. "An energy sword wound to the back and chest and an Energy dagger wound to the left side. Multiple plasma wounds, Sir, I'm surprised he's even alive."

"I've read his file, and as a quote from his file says, 'He's one tough, sonva bitch.' So I'd new he'd still be alive."

Ash blacks out.

.

.

.

Ash coms to and he's being rushed through the halls of the Pillar of Autumn. Keyes' is looking down at Ash as he runs with the stretcher.

"You saved my life, Spartan." Keyes says down to Ash. "Let me return the favor."

Ash blacks out.

.

.

.

Ash coms to and he sees a bright light above him and a rapid and loud beeping.

"He's going into shock!" A female voice yells out. "Stay with me, Spartan, I chose you for a reason."

Ash blacks out.

.

.

.

Ash comes to and he sees a Bright Pink Light above him. A small figure is hovering above him.

"Stay with me, Ash." The A.I. says down to him. "Please, I need you. You need to stay with us, for you're the hero of Reach. Many may not know your name, but those who do, sing it with joy. Please, you need to fight to stay alive, Noble Team needs you to."

Ash blacks out.

.

.

.

September 19, 2552 01:20 Hours

Above the planet Threshold is Installation 04. The Pillar of Autumn is slowly moving towards the ring. Longsword escorts soar alongside the sip.

Inside the ship's bridge, Keyes is talking to an A.I.

"Cortana, all I need to know is did we lose them?" Keyes asks.

"I think we both know the answer to that." The Purple AI says.

Keyes sighs. "We made a blind jump. How did they--"

"Get here first?" Cortana finishes for him. "The Covenant ships have always been faster. As for tracking us all the way from Reach...at light speed, my maneuvering options were limited."

Keyes begins pacing around, looking at viewscreens. "We were running dark, yes?"

"Until we decelerated. No one could have missed the hole we tor in subspace." Cortana says as Keyes looks at a bridge crewman's console. "They were waiting for us on the far side of the planet."

The crewman presses some buttons. The screen shows a diagram of Threshold with Installation 04 in orbit.

"So, where do we stand?" Keyes asks.

"Our fighters are mopping up the last of their recon picket now, nothing serious." Cortana replies.

Keyes examines the main screen, pulls his pipe out of his mouth and shakes some ash off it. He closes his eyes wearily.

"But I've isolated approach signatures from multiple Ket-pattern battle groups, make it three cpaital ships per group." Cortana informs. "And in about 90 seconds they'll be all over us."

"Well, that's it then. Bring the ship back up to Combat Alert Alpha. I want everyone at their stations.""

"Everyone, sir?"

"Everyone."

Alarm klaxon sounds. Crewmen run towards their stations.

"And Cortana..." Keyes calls out and her avatar appears on a holotank as she hums.

"...;et's give out old friends a warm welcome." Keyes says.

"I've already begun." Cartana states. "And Sir? Do you happen to know where my sister ran off too?"

"She's with her Spartan, I'm having the Rose twins pick them up."

Over in another part of a ship many people run throughout the hallways as someone is humming the guitar chords of a Trocadero song.

First Lieutenant Ruby and Second Lieutenant Asher walk down a hallway, with weapons in their hands, as many people run past them in both directions. Asher is the one humming.

"Attention, all combat personnel: Please report to your action stations." Cortana's voice rings over the PA's "5th Platoon, secure airlocks on Deck 11. 14th Platoon, rendezvous with 22nd Tactical at bulkhead Charlie 14."

Ash continues to hum and Ruby looks at him. "What are you doing?" She asks.

"Creating a theme song for myself." Asher states.

"Really now of all times?"

Cortana's voice comes over the PA. "This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill."

"Why not?"

"Rose Team, I'd advise we hurry." Auntie Dot says to the two ODSTs through their helmet radios.

"Attention, all personnel: We are re-engaging the enemy. Internal and external contact imminent." Cortana's voice comes over the PA again.

"Yes, Auntie Dot." The two ODSTs say together.

The two twins start to run down the hallway and they come to a room.

Reveille

The door opens and inside is a large medical room and in the middle is Spartan S-142 or known as Ash or Noble Six. His armor has been repaired, with a new helmet resting on a table next to the bed.

He still has Emile's Kurki on his right shoulder pouldron. There's even the Energy sword he used back on Reach on his hip.

Ash's left arm has been replaced with a prosthetic limb, since it was cut off by an Elite Ultra. His prosthetic looks similar to what Kat had.

Ash's face is hidden out of view by a curtain. Next to the bed is a holotank with a Bright Pink AI sitting down, watching her Spartan. She looks back and sees the two ODSTs.

"Ah, Rose 1 and 2." The AI smiles. "What a pleasant surprise."

Asher sets his shotgun on his back and takes off his helmet and holds it against his side. He has blond hair with red tips and silver eyes. "Xi, we need to get you and the Lieutenant up and outta here."

Xi stands up. "But he's not ready, he still needs a couple more days to heal."

Ruby moves towards the AI. "We don't have a few more days, Covenant are here and we need someone like him up." She grabs the helmet off the table and moves behind a curtain, that was hiding Ash's face.

Ruby's shadow puts the helmet on Ash's head and then she slides the curtain to the side.

"But, but..." Xi starts. "He's hardly even ready to move, I've barley had to time make sure his body won't reject his prosthetic when he starts using it.

Cortana's voice is heard over the PA. "Fire teams: Report to defensive positions Alpha through Sierra. Sensors show inbound Covenant boarding craft. Stand by to repel boarders."

Asher walks over to the holotank as Ruby walks to the other side of the room.

The ship shakes a little and Cortana speaks over the PA. "Warning! Covenant incursions on port decks Three and Nine. Alpha Team, engage enemy boarders."

"We don't have time, Covenants here and they want to kill us. So I want Noble Six up and running." Asher says. "And just know, I have orders to prevent the Covenant from getting the two of you... by any means."

Cortana's voice come over the PA. "Warning! Covenant incursions on port decks Three and Nine. Alpha Team, engage enemy boarders."

Xi looks at Ash, then back to the ODST. "He's not ready."

Ruby walks over with two wake-up stims. "We'll if he isn't, we're all dead." He jabs Ash with both stims and injects them into the Spartan.

Ash jolts up and looks around, delirious. "Hol vagyok?" (Where am I?) He asks in Hungarian.

Cortana's voice comes over the PA. "Covenant boarding craft detected on port decks Four, Five, Seven, Eight, and Eleven. All available Combat Teams, respond!"

"Hosszú út az otthontól, uram." (Long way from home, sir.) Asher responds in Hungarian.

The ship shakes again and the two ODSTs nearly fall over this time. Ash groans and lays back on his bed.

"Warning: The Covenant are boaring." Auntie Dot informs the two ODSTs.

"Time's up!" Ruby yells as she grabs the sniper off her back.

"Xi, we gotta move you and him." Asher says as he puts his helmet on.

Xi just nods and her avatar disappears. Asher pulls the data chip out of the holotank. "Prop him up!" Asher says as he moves over to Ash.

Ruby props Ash's head up and Asher slots Xi's data chip into the back of his helmet.

Keyes voice speaks over the PA. "Combat Teams on decks Seven and Eight, fall back to secondary defensive positions."

"What's going on?" Ash asks all delirious.

"We're moving you somewhere safe, sir." Ruby says as she and her brother move Ash off the bed.

They put his arms around his shoulders. Then they both take out an M6D magnum pistol.

"Let's move, sis!" Asher orders.

"Right!" Ruby agrees.

AI Constructs and Cyborgs First!

Keyes' voice speaks over the PA. "Reserve Combat Teams on decks Five through Nine, fall back to secondary defensive positions!"

The two ODSTs carrying Ash out of the room, who's still very confused and delirious.

"Where's my team?" Ash asks. "Carter?" Ash calls out.

A couple Grunts around a nearby corner and they yell in fright as they see the two ODSTs, but are swiftly gunned down by the two ODSTs.

"Be advised Rose Team: Captain Keyes has informed me that we need to bring Noble Six to the hangar and get off the Autumn." Auntie Dot informs.

"What is he doing?" Asher asks.

"Unknown."

A few Marines run over to the three.

"Sir, Ma'am, we'll assist you!" One of the Marines say.

"Thanks you." Ruby nods.

"Now, let's move." The two ODSTs say together.

The group of six now move down the hall and continue to take out Covenant as they move.

"Dot, where's the Chief?" Ruby asks.

"Assisting Marines to the escape pods." Auntie Dot informs.

"Can you open me a line to him?" Asher asks.

"Affirmative." After a few seconds. "Go ahead, Rose Two."

"Master Chief, this is Rose Two, can you hear me?" Asher fires onto a Elite that charges towards him, but is shotdown by the two siblings.

"Yes, Rose Two." Chief replies over coms.

"We are moving Noble Six, another Spartan, to the hanger bay." Asher informs, as Ash grunts as a few plasma rounds hit his shields. "We'll try to regroup on that ring, so please keep those Marines safe."

"Already on it, Chief out."

Ash grunts and he whispers something.

"Noble Six?" Ruby asks.

"Move!" Ash yells and he pushes the two ODSTs to the ground, grabbing Asher's shotgun.

Ash swiftly takes out his energy sword and blocks an attack from an Elite General's energy sword.

Ash elbows the Elite in the face, and fires a round into the Elite's face with the shotgun, taking its shields down. Then he stabs it in the chest and kicks the body away.

Ash then drops the shotgun on the ground and stumbles back and falls against a nearby wall. Ash's energy sword deactivates.

"Even when he's barely able to stand up, he's still a badass." Asher mutters.

"Swear." Ruby says and Asher just stairs at her for a few seconds.

"Hey, we need to keep moving!" A Marine shouts as her and the two other Marines fire onto approaching Covenant.

Asher grabs his shotgun and pumps it once, then sets it on his back. The two Rose twins move over to Ash and pick him up. Asher sets the energy sword back on Ash's hip, and they continue to move towards the hanger.

"Dot, how far until where to the hanger?" Ruby asks.

"Just past these doors." Auntie dot informs.

The group arrives at a door that says "Hanger Bay" above it.

A Marine moves to the door. "Let's m-"

The doors blow open, killing the two of the three Marines that were escorting the two ODSTs and Spartan. The two ODSTs get thrown to the ground and their shields deplete. Ash lands on the grounds and his shields fizz.

"Rose Team, are you okay?" Auntie Dot asks.

The third Marine, who's badly hurt, starts to get up. "Are you guys alright?"A plasma round goes through his head as two Elite Majors and an Elite Ultra moves out of the doors.

Asher looks to his side to see Ash not moving and Ruby groaning as she holds her right arm in pain.

"Wort, Wort, Wort." One of the Elites say.

"Fuck!" Asher groans and he takes his shotgun off his back, but it's kicked away as the Elite Ultra stands over him.

The Elite Ultra brings out an Energy sword as it laughs down at Asher.

Suddenly Ash jumps onto its back and starts to strangle the Elite. The Elite yells out and stumbles back. Ash proceeds to stabs his Kurki into the Elite's neck multiple times and then shove a plasma grenade into its mouth as he jumps off.

Ash kicks the Elite into the two others and the grenade goes off, blowing off the Elite Ultra's head and destroying the two other's Shield.

Ash runs forward and jumps onto the front of the first Elite and slices its neck open. Then jumping onto the second Elite's back and snapping it neck.

The two Elite's fall to the ground dead and Ash gets off their bodies as he puts his Kurki away onto his shoulder. Ash then coughs and kneels down. "I don't feel good."

"I see why he's a Hyper-Lethal Vector." Ruby says as she gets off the ground as she holds her arm.

Asher grabs his shotgun and sets it on his back. "You okay?" He asks his sister.

"Yeah, I just landed on it funny." Ruby moves her arm around.

"Rose Team, I suggest we get a move on, before more Covenant Elites come." Auntie Dot says.

The two ODSTs grab the Spartan and wrap his arms around their shoulders and move into the hanger.

Inside the hanger is just a massive battlefield. At the entrance leading out to space, is an army of Covenant shooting at many marines holding their position as the rest gets into the Pelicans.

Phantoms fly in and drop off more Covenant troops. The two ODSTs carry Ash down into the battle zone and towards a Pelican.

"Come on, Rose Team." A Marine yells as he motions for them to get into the Pelican. "We are leaving!"

Ruby aims her pistol to the side and guns down an Elite firing at them.

The two ODSTs carry Ash into the Pelican and set him down in a chair, and straps him in. Ruby moves out of the Pelican and uses her sniper to cover Marines running into the Pelican. Asher runs to the pilot seat and starts up the Pelican.

A Marine runs on board and turns to Ruby. "Let's move First Lieutenant!"

Ruby tosses a grenade and she backs into the Pelican. Ruby sits in a chair and straps herself in. "Asher, lets go!"

"On it!" Asher yells back and the Pelican takes off and flies out of the hanger and Covenant troops fire onto it.

"What the hell happened is going on?!" A Marine yells.

"I don't know." A Marine responds. "I just had orders to get off the ship."

A Marine looks at the disorientated Ash. "What's good a Spartan if they're like that?"

"Hey, show some respect, that's Noble Six!" A Marine snaps. "He saved all of us by staying behind on Reach, he nearly died to save everyone on this ship."

"Sorry."

"What is this thing, Dot?" Asher asks as he looks at the Halo ring.

"Unknown, but with current information, it must be important to the Covenant." Auntie Dot says.

Suddenly the Autumn accelerates past the Pelican. It is struck my multiple plasma torpedoes.

"What's Keyes doing?" Asher shouts.

"Sir?" A Marine calls out.

"Keyes going into the Ring manually."

The Pelican shakes as it starts to enter the rings atmosphere.

"Everyone hold on, we're going in!" Asher yells back.

"I'm holding on as tight as I can!" A Marine yells out.

"Does this thing have popcorn?" A Marine asks.

Ash takes the Pelican into the rings atmosphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03-23-2023

3363 words
(Asher is from my RWBY series.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 212 15
Halo, but with an oddity. Halo was destroyed, the Covenant was dealt a devastating blow, and the Flood were wiped out. At least, that's how it was s...
27.2K 562 15
WARNING: This is a continuating of my first book, The fall of Reach. After escaping Reach, Noble team, or at least, what's left of it, will have to f...
24.2K 493 45
A Spartan has been transferred to the Hot, Sweltering canyon of Blood Gulch. Find out what adventures lie ahead for him. #5 rvb 10/9/2021 #2 noble6 1...
6.1K 175 11
Halo, but with an oddity. Having survived the Fall of Reach, the Pillar of Autumn and those aboard were not given much time to rest. Upon their escap...