Unexpected Gifts

By Dyn_Arxon

Throughout his life, he never knew the love of his parents, but he knew he was loved by them. We all know of... More

Chapter I
Chapter II
Charter IV
Chapter V
Charter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIIII
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Update

Chapter III

4.4K 122 1
By Dyn_Arxon

September 1, 1995
Platform 9 3/4

Having spent the last month being in a formal betrothal to Harry Potter, of all people, Daphne was pleasantly surprised by how much she was growing to enjoy her relationship.

Harry was very apprehensive about making their relationship known, but she was very insistent and compelling in her argument of having Harry escort her today.

Did she understand where Harry was coming from? Yes, he was quickly growing to care for her, just as she was her. Now, their understanding of their feelings was another conversation.

Although, Daphne didn't let that deter her as she walked with Harry, her arm looped around his, down the platform. It did not escape her that Harry stood tall, his chest out slightly.

"You seem proud to have me on your arm, Harry." She pointed out in a low voice, a hint of amusement to her tone.

Harry, for all of his being, gave her a simple nod of his head, "Of course I am, should I not be?"

She tilted her head slightly, "And why are you proud?" She questioned him.

"Because I'm escorting a beautiful and highly intelligent young woman, who just happens to be my intended." His rebuttal was simple as if it was obvious.

His nonchalance flustered her, causing the tips of her ears and cheeks to become brushed with a slight pink hue. This earned Harry a swat at his chest as he gave his grin.

============================

For his part, Harry knew that they were the center of attention, and so he led them onto the train without any preamble. He led the way toward a compartment in the middle of the train.

He wanted to avoid both Slytherin and Gryffindor ends of the train, although he was prepared for the annual Malfoy visit.

Their company was swiftly filled with Neville and Susan, both of whom entered and greeted them before sitting on the opposite bench.

"Are you worried about Ron's reaction to you two, Harry?" Neville spoke up, trying to strike up a conversation.

Shaking his head, Harry took hold of Daphne's hand, before looking at his cousin, "Weasley will be dealt with in due course if he has any issues with my betrothal."

Having never witnessed this new side to Harry, Daphne looked at him in slight shock.

After a quick moment, she unconsciously squeezed his hand gently and a small smile graced her lips.

============================

It wasn't until roughly halfway through the trip to Hogsmeade Station that the compartment door was torn open.

Standing in the doorway, Draco Malfoy sneered at Harry, having not noticed the others present. Crabbe and Goyle stood behind him, seeming to notice the others before Draco, as they leaned back slightly.

Neither large boy wanted to try Harry Potter and Neville Longbottom at the same time. They showed rare intelligence as they regarded them cautiously, especially since the aforementioned young men seemed to ignore them casually.

"With the death of Sirius Black, I didn't expect you back this year, Potter." Draco drawled hatefully.

"And why would you not?" Harry returned, seeming as if he just noticed the blond's presence, which irritated the boy greatly.

"Don't you know? His death means that I'm now Heir Black." He explained as if talking to a child.

A small snort from beside Harry pulled Draco's attention to Daphne, causing him to become confused before getting angry.

"And just what are you doing with the blood traitor, Greengrass?" He asked hotly.

He watched as Harry and Daphne shared a look before she nodded her head lightly and Harry turned back to Malfoy as he rose from his seat.

"Let us run through the list of where you're wrong today, shall we? The death of my godfather does not make you eligible for the House of Black. You are Heir Secondary, Malfoy." Harry's voice was neutral as he approached the trio in the doorway.

============================

"You don't know what you're talking about, Potter." He tried snarking in a haughty tone.

The closer Harry approached Draco and his friends, the more Draco could feel them lean away.

It was strange to see Potter in a complete state of neutrality, so much so that it unnerved Draco Malfoy when he stared into emerald green orbs.

He had only seen one other pair of eyes radiate so much power, but that certain pair of eyes was a deep red, not glittering emerald.

The power in the bright eyes of Harry Potter seemed to escape his body as a low and sharp hiss rolled off his tongue. Yet, for some reason, Draco wasn't feeling the usual fear he would when witnessing the Dark Lord's parseltongue.

This feeling was unfamiliar to Draco, and he couldn't wrap his mind around what it was.

Standing only inches away from him, Harry went on, "The Greengrasses are not a family to disrespect, especially by a Malfoy."

His voice was light but held a tone that spoke he wasn't to be pressed.

"We find ourselves bound by an iron-clad betrothal agreement that has certain stipulations that find themselves fulfilled after nearly three centuries."

"You know the importance of honor to our House as well as any, Malfoy. Do not force the rights of honor to be invoked, that will be my only warning."

Harry kept his face calm and serene, yet his eyes portrayed his meaning.

Draco wasn't sure what was more bothersome, the presence of Harry Potter at that moment, or the fact that he seemed to know a heavily guarded family secret.

It took several long moments for Draco to collect himself, "O-Of course, Heir Potter. I apologize for any disrespect towards Heiress Greengrass and yourself." He managed to sputter out.

"I accept your apologies, Heir Malfoy. I bid you a good day." Harry nodded his head and waited for the three to walk away before he closed the door.

============================

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle returned to their compartment with Pancy Parkinson and Theodore Nott Junior. All three of them were pale and shaken.

"Well, you three look sunny." Nott snorted as he took in their completions.

They took their seats, Draco shaking his head slightly as he stared off into space, ignoring Pansy's henning about him.

"Potter, Longbottom, Bones, and the Greengrass sisters are off limits." He commanded softly, confusing Parkinson and Nott.

Turning her nose up at his words, she huffed in haughtiness, "And just why are those five off limits, Draco?"

"I'd like to know as well," Nott commented.

Draco ignored them as he drifted back off into space.

============================

Once the train came to Hogsmeade Station, the students began to file out of the steam engine.

Susan led the way to the carriages. Neville took up the rear of the group as Harry and Daphne walked arm-in-arm once more.

They ignored the looks of several as they piled into the carriage, Susan and Neville going first before Harry helped Daphne.

"I think things are going to be different this year." Susan mused as she watched outside the carriage window.

Neville let out a short laugh as he nodded his agreement, "Especially with Harry and Daphne being the first notable marriage between their houses since Charlus and Dorea Potter."

Susan nodded her agreement as Daphne leaned herself against Harry's shoulder.

In the past month, they went out on eight dates, making sure to spend time at both of their family manors. Over the eight dates, no matter the low number of them, they have spent long hours studying and coming to know each other.

As such, she squeezed his arm gently, silently telling him that they would be alright.

It comforted Harry, as he leaned down and rested his chin over her head gently. The position he pulled her into had her pressed against his chest and side, with his arm wrapped around her.

She could've melted right there.

============================

Once the carriage stopped, Neville stepped out first, then helped Susan. After them, Harry followed, turning he offered his hand to Daphne.

When she stepped out of the carriage, she took his arm, her Occlumency at full effect.

They waited until they were sure everyone but the first years were sorted and seated before entering the Great Hall.

Students were staring and whispering behind their hands to their friends, the teachers watching intently to know what was going on, yet Daphne ignored them all as Harry walked her towards the Slytherin table.

She had no idea what he was doing, he didn't tell her that he was making a power move the first night. Although could she argue it? No.

Daphne was expecting a kiss on her hand and walking their separate ways, not having her intended to escort her to her house table.

Harry walked her toward her usual seat at the head of the table, where the neutrals sat. He gave her a respectful bow as he lifted her, kissing her knuckles gently.

"My Heiress Greengrass," Harry said loud enough for those around them to hear him.

Daphne could feel the back of her neck burn, "My Heir Potter."

He offered his hand as she sat down before he walked to the Gryffindor table and sat beside Neville.

============================

"Alright, what the hell was that?" The voice of her best friend came from beside her.

Daphne looked at Tracey Davis, her eyes showing traces of her embarrassment, "That was my betrothed making a power play."

Tracey's eyes were alight with mischief as she nearly growled, "We're discussing this later."

A chuckle drew their attention to Blaise Zabini. "I've heard he was strong but I've never seen anyone with that kind of aura," he voiced.

"Wait until his eyes glow, then you'll be amazed. Just look at Malfoy and his apes." Daphne pointed out, glancing over at them.

============================

Draco watched as Potter and Greengrass walked to her seat. He heard their shared words. He felt the slight flare of Potter's aura as he walked. It didn't have the effect of when his eyes seemed to shine on the train, but it did lock his body in place.

He noticed Crabbe and Goyle react similarly, with their bodies leaned away.

Pansy and Theo didn't know what to make of his presence. However, they recognized a power play when they saw it, and there wasn't one bigger than that.

Parkinson didn't seem to hear what they said to each other, but Nott did. He knew the significance of their use of the word 'my'.

"She's off limits because she's to be his wife and because he'll destroy us for even thinking about her the wrong way." Theo mused out loud.

Draco nodded his head, swallowing thickly, "From what I make about it, their contract is old. Likely something signed between the families a hundred or two years ago."

"What makes you think that, Draco?" Pansy asked lowly.

"Because Harry Potter told me not to force the rights of honor." His voice was heavy, his eyes staring into hers as he looked at her.

"Oh," was heard from both her and Theo.

From what he took out of Potter's speech to him, that meant if what he said was true, then Draco was Heir Secondary to the emerald-eyed teen. Which, for some reason, was something that Draco couldn't bring himself to be upset about it.

He needed time to think about what to do.

============================

Neville clapped Harry on the back as he sat down, "You're bloody barking, mate."

Shaking his head, he laughed lightly, "I never said that I wasn't."

"Damn, Harry, how did you get the hottest bird in the castle?" Seamus Finnegan asked from a couple of seats away and across the table.

Neville winced sharply, drawing the attention of most of Gryffindor. He was quick to lean back slightly as Harry looked at the other boy.

Harry laughed lightly as he smiled coyly at him, "Careful, Finnegan, if you attract her ire I'm going to sit back and watch."

Seamus, for all of him, threw his head back and let out a belly laugh, "If she's anywhere near as strong as you, I'll make sure to stay clear of her."

Shaking his head in amusement, Harry began to tuck into his dinner.

============================

A couple of hours later,
Gryffindor Tower

Harry was sitting on a couch close to the fire, reading through a magical book. The book was connected to every personal journal in the Potter Library.

So, he was currently reading Iolanthe Potter's journal from when she studied under Salazar Slytherin.

A shadow fell over him and Harry let out a sigh as he closed the book and looked up.

Hermione Granger stood over him, looking down at Harry, "What language is that? I couldn't read it." She asked.

"Good. You're not going to be able to read it, at least not this specific book. And to be frankly honest, I think I would only share this book with my wife and children." Harry answered simply.

"And why's that? Knowledge should be shared." She returned sharply.

"Not all knowledge." Neville cut in as he came over.

Turning to him, Hermione looked confused. It was as if that went against everything she knew about knowledge.

"And why not?"

"Because you would find yourself punished harshly by Magic for even attempting to pry into family magic." Harry answered her, quickly recognizing the look she made when the wheels began to spin in her mind.

"This book is connected to every journal that resides in my library. Only four other people can read this book, and that's because they have Potter blood running through their veins."

"Gran made sure I knew the consequences of going against you with your stuff, Harry. You and Gran may come from the main family but I'm a branch family." Neville interrupted him.

Several people caught what he said and leaned closer to listen in.

"Wait, you two are related?" Lavender Brown asked from across the room.

Harry heaved a heavy sigh and grumbled lowly before nodding, "Yes. Henry Potter raised Fleamont, Charlus, and Augusta Potter by himself. Fleamont, being over ten years older than his siblings would marry Euphemia Ferrow, they would have a single daughter, Valerie. Valerie Potter would go on to marry Ernie Bones."

This information would shock the Common Room. They all thought that Harry was the last Potter, and yet there were two families that were direct branches of the family.

And the fact that they were also two prominent families as well only shocked people more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

628K 14.4K 40
{!VERY! VERY! OLD! STORY!} Y/N is the granddaughter of Dumbledore but one day her parents were killed by Voldemort only family Y/N had left was your...
541K 11.9K 39
"I never knew that my 16th birthday would change my whole life.." ---- On my 16th birthday I found out about my parents, but what should I do? Stay w...
15.2K 510 30
Enid Lupin was the daughter of Remus Lupin. Enid was Remus's pride and joy, and he would do absolutely anything for her. When she was born, he was te...
4.1K 193 12
I suck at writing summaries I apologise in advance. Based off the movies not books! Y/N was adopted by the Weasleys long ago and raised as one of the...