Of the Forest and Sea

By alexsmithwriting

After Maria Merryweather saves the valley, what's next? Loveday and Benjamin are married, as are Miss Heliotr... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Author's Note
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Author's Note
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49

Chapter 46

56 0 0
By alexsmithwriting

Benjamin wanted Maria married in a church, as traditional as our wedding could be, yet I stood at the back of the great hall, waiting for the doors to open. My friends had cleaned themselves up and stood by my father.

Before I could take another breath in an attempt to calm my growing nerves, the doors opened. Chills ran down my spine when I saw her, and everything went silent.

I could hear her thoughts as she repeated to herself to breathe and begging herself not to trip. My heart raced as she stepped closer, led by Benjamin.

Maria? Her eyes met mine and I wanted to melt to the floor. Her hair had been styled and tucked away neatly, not a single curl out of place. The dress Loveday had made fit Maria well, and the bright white was clean compared to the darkness of the great hall.

With the large table out of the way, Maria had felt much further away. I'm sure Benjamin was ensuring she wouldn't run to me, as Loveday nearly did with him. I could see him whispering to her, and I wished he'd lead her faster.

I wanted her to be my wife.

Her moon pearl crown was situated perfectly on her hair, glowing lightly. I regretted not getting the dagger from Benjamin, but now was not the time for such worries.

Suddenly, she was in front of me, Benjamin letting her go for the last time. She kissed his cheek, and he took her hand, giving it to me dreadfully slow. He gave a small smile, one of respect. As Loveday stepped forward to situate Maria's dress and take her flowers, Maria took my other hand and I felt her squeeze lightly.

Although we weren't married in a church as Benjamin had requested it, the ceremony went on as dreadfully long as if it had been. My father had taken it upon himself to conduct it, but I couldn't take my eyes away from Maria to watch Benjamin's reactions. I could hardly pay attention to my father's words.

This was it.

My heart pounded in my ears as I watched her. Her perfection. Her glow. Her smile.

This was what I had waited for longer than I had realized it.

"Robin de Noir, will you take Miss Maria Merryweather as your bride?"

"I will," I whispered. I could feel my nerves calming the longer I held her, but the lump growing in my throat was worsening, and I couldn't tell how much longer I could hold it in.

"I will," Maria repeated. Her voice, her hands, her smile; it was all perfect and it was all mine.

I felt her hands tug me closer, and I leaned down to kiss her. My wife...

I could have kissed her for the rest of our lives had the hall not erupted into cheers. Her hands came up to my face, brushing away tears I didn't know had fallen.

My husband... I heard her voice say.

My father was the first to congratulate us, then Loveday and Benjamin. My friends waited until everyone else had seen us, before coming to greet us.

"Never thought Robin would settle, but at least it's with you, Maria," Brayen joked.

"Robin settled? Have you seen her? She settled for him!" I smacked Alain on the back of his head, listening to Maria laugh.

Mills nodded to me once, "How do you two feel?"

"Currently? Like none of this is even real." I slid my arm around Maria's waist, pulling her close to my side.

"I couldn't pay attention to anything your father said."

"Oh good, you've already learned to tune him out. We all learned a while ago," I teased, kissing her temple lightly.

"So which one of you boys will marry next?"

All three boys stumbled over their words as I chuckled, "I'm the only one of these guys who could marry. They don't have the guts to even speak to a female."

"Says you! After the cliff, all we heard until Loveday's wedding was about Robin wondering if he should tell you he loved you, or if he should forget about it all and die alone. The drunken confessions and complaints from him were enough to make me never want to fall in love," Alain joked.

I stared at him, watching him flinch, waiting for me to smack him again, but I smirked and shook my head. "I'll remember this."

"I think that was scarier than the smack."

"Maria, Robin, there's someone who'd like to see you." We all jumped, hearing Marmaduke behind us.

"Who else have we not seen yet?"

"Come, it's a surprise," I said.

I pulled her outside as Marmaduke followed behind us, taking her out to a nearby oak tree, large enough to shield us from prying eyes. I knew she had been there, I had felt it. She had been a guest, hiding in the background.

"Mother...?"

"Robin requested I be there. I apologize I did not make myself known; Robin did not tell me it would be such a large affair."

"In all honesty, Moon Goddess...I had no idea."

Her glow was lighter this time, not so bright as it was in the cave. She looked more...human. And her voice wasn't just in our heads, she was a physical being.

Maria let go of my arm, noticing the same things I did. She hesitantly stepped towards her mother, and the goddess held out her hand expectantly.

"Come, child. I promise, I'm here."

I stepped behind Maria, putting my hand on her back, "Go on."

Maria ran up to the goddess, pulling her in tightly. The goddess held her close, and I felt happy seeing Maria finally reunited with her mother, even if it was only magic.

I stepped back to Marmaduke, holding out my hand, waiting to shake his. "Thank you, Marmaduke. She couldn't have been here had you not shown her to us. I'm sure she's appreciative of your help as well."

"Don't forget Maria's gift, Robin. I'm sure she'll love that just as much as this."

"Ah, right." I looked back to Maria, smiling as I turned back to Marmaduke. "I think I'll let her have her moment for a little while longer."

"You two are going to do quite well together. Ah, I better get inside before they start to mangle my dishes." With a pop, he disappeared, and I turned back to Maria again.

"Your husband would like a word with you, my dear."

"Oh, no, she-." I tried to protest but the goddess put her hand up to stop me.

"I have spent too long in a physical form. I came as requested, but I must get home."

"Will you come back?" Maria cried.

"Whenever you're in need, princess." The goddess helped Maria dry her tears, and giving one last hug, before disappearing in a glow of light.

"Maria? Are you alright?" I took her hand gently and she nodded.

"Thank you." She kissed my fingers lightly and I sucked in a breath.

"I just... I wanted today to be perfect." She looked up at me, letting my hands go to wrap hers around my neck.

The closer she got, the faster my heart raced. "We could have been married the day you asked me, and it would have been perfect. You gave me something today I didn't know I needed."

I pulled out the bracelet I had tucked away in my pocket, taking one of her hands to clasp it for her.

"What's this?"

"Your uncle gave it to me. It's your wedding gift."

"The goddess wasn't my present?"

I chuckled, "She was. But this was first. Benjamin said it's your great-grandmother, your grandmother, and your mother. Your portrait will be next to your mother's, and he said the others are for the rest of the Merryweather line."

Maria stared at her mother's portrait, her eyes welling up with tears. "I don't know how to thank you, Robin."

I kissed her forehead lightly, pulling her close and wrapping my arms around her waist, "Love me. Just love me for the rest of our days, Maria."

I kissed her gently, wanting to stay like this forever.

I will love you until the day my heart stops beating. She pulled away, her eyes still closed and her breaths quick.

"Before anyone questions our disappearance, I think we should go back. I fear this may be one of our only moments alone until the festivities die down." I started to pull away from her to lead her back, but she stopped me.

"I want to hear you say it."

"Say what, princess?"

"My name. Please, say my name." She looked up at me, her voice soft and pleading. I couldn't remember if my father had said it earlier, and I smirked as I stepped back in front of her.

"My wife, our beautiful princess of Moonacre Valley, Maria de Noir," I said, placing small kisses all over her face. She giggled as I did, and squealed when I held her tight against me so she couldn't pull away. "My Maria de Noir." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 87 26
Part 1: Maria Merryweather has just saved Moonacre Valley from its curse with the help of a once enemy, Robin De Noir. With the valley at peace, Mari...
3.8K 144 35
Part 2: (Takes place after part 1- When a Young Heart Loves), Maria finds herself at a loss. With Robin's memories of her wiped clean, her last year...
114K 2.8K 51
After the ending of Maria and Moonacre, Maria sets out to do everything she can to make the valley once again a happy thriving place and to fix up he...
46.7K 939 15
BOOK 1 Rose Merryweather, the elder sister of Maria Merryweather goes to Moonacre Mannor after her father dies, everything seems odd and nothing make...