The Princess of Elfhame

By Quillsblood

It's been 19 years since Jude Duarte became Queen of Elfhame, 19 years since she became King Cardan Greenbria... More

Map
One
Fete Magic
F*ck You
But he's a prince
Keep your family close, keep your frenemies closer
Oh hell no-
Kiss and kill
Tu vas me manquer? Est-ce que tu aimes?
I know you better than that
I just want to help
Home sometimes isn't what you thought it was
Why does my heart bleed when my mind screams
Would she want this?
Clarification
Please, respectfully: shut the fuck up
Lose yourself in the moment
God, you're as dumb as they get
Hating you no longer
What does this mean?
I'm not worth saving
What is that girl up to these days?
Tell anyone and You're Dead
Meet Me At Sunup?
You didn't. I did and I'd do it again
Don't make me force you
Hush
It's only forever with you
Love is endless for you, honey
Can't ever go back now
What I never could've expected
I do, forever
Update: HIATUS

Try to keep up

329 13 24
By Quillsblood

Rhea 

"BLOODY FUCKING HELL!" Prince Castien swears, yelling at the top of his lungs as his raggwort steed bursts into a gallop and I holler with laughter as we take off. 

He's gripping his steed by the neck, eyes terrified before he glowers at me laughing hard enough to *almost* fall off. 

"Of course you enjoy watching me fail at riding," he seethes and I crack a grin. 

"I thought you were good at everything" I taunt as I soar ahead of him. 

Within a few minutes, he's managed to catch up shakily before I slow down to a slow trot by his side. 

"So what do you think of Elfhame so far?" I ask as we crest a hill that overlooks the ocean. 

He smirks over at me. "Their Crown Princess is a bit of an ass." 

I laugh, throwing my head back. "I blame my father." 

He shrugs, smirking. "I'd say that's just all on you, Princess." 

I groan as I turn to look at him before settling for a sneer. 
"Why do you keep calling me that?" 

"What, because it's true?" he asks with a laugh but I sigh. 

"Fine. I only call you that because I know it vexes you. If you want me to stop, I will." 

I chuckle as I continue my steed into a walk. "It's not that. But there's normally a deeper meaning here in Elfhame for nicknames. Like my Circle of Archers. The Bomb. It's a title with a deeper meaning than a noble title." 

"Well, don't you think that Princess might happen to be the highest title of all?" he muses and I give a one-shouldered shrug. 

"I didn't know about the nicknames being a title. Like I said, I used it as a way to vex you. That is all. Obviously now things are a little bit different." 

I give a surprised laugh. "Why's that?" 

"Because maybe now I've grown to tolerate you, idiot" he laughs and a deep blush flushes my cheeks. 

"Tolerate or like?" I tease and he fixes me with a look. 

"How about you take the compliment first and then we'll see if we can make our way to being friends." 

I scoff. "Wow, don't get ahead of yourself, Castien." 

He smiles at me before looking out at the view. 

But I can't look away. 

Yes, he was a dick, and he cost me one of my closest friends. 

But was she truly one of my closest friends if she was preparing herself to kill me, with him protecting me.. but he's even more beautiful than the day I met him. 

His eyes glow in the fading sunlight as he takes in Elfhame and I grin. 

"You look like you're beginning to like Elfhame against your own wishes." 

He shrugs. "I'm not going to lie and tell you that your country is beautiful. I cannot deny any natural beauty." 

His eyes lock with mine and I quickly look away. 

"So- does that phrase normally work with women?" I ask with a nervous laugh and he smirks. 

"Yeah it normally does, actually. And why I'm telling you that, is because you are devastatingly beautiful, Rhea. Don't let anyone or yourself ever compare you to anyone else. Please." 

I'm shocked. 

Castien 

I don't want the princess to get the wrong idea, but I want to protect her. 

I know what it's like for the throne to be the biggest target on your back, and if I can help her stay safe, then I would rather. 

As we ride back to the palace, my parents and sisters are standing outside. 

Rhea stands off to the side as I hug Tialha. "Make sure Dorrenhid is safe while I'm gone, alright?" 

She nods. "Behave yourself? So that I can pummel you when you get home." 

Rhea snickers behind me but when I turn to glare at her she's smirking. 

"Fine. But the next time I see you I'll make sure I get a hug out of you before she beats you up," Aurae chimes in and I chuckle. 

I bow to Father and Mother before they nod back and enter their carriages, leaving me. 

Rhea stands by her father and mother as we all wave them goodbye and I approach them, bowing. 

King Cardan reaches out a hand, placing it on my forearm, and his gaze is somewhat warm as he meets my eyes. 

"I'd like to talk to you privately, Your Highness" he says and I look at Rhea. 

She looks mildly confused but I bow my head. 

"If you'll excuse me briefly, Your Highness" I say in a softer tone and she nods. 

"Of course Prince Castien." 

As King Cardan leads me back inside, he turns to me. 

"You understand immortality, as you are an elf" he says sharply and my brows furrow. 

"Of course. Unless a life threatening injury takes us by the heart, then yes, we live forever," I state, confused. 

King Cardan closes his eyes. "Princess Rhea is only part fae. But only part. Which means she will not live forever. But she will live longer than a human." 

"How much longer than a human?" I ask, surprised and he sighs, a sad father. 

"Almost 3 times longer. But while you will hopefully live for thousands of years, it would be a miracle if she lived for 500 years. As a part of your lessons here in Elfhame, if you manage to find a way to expand her lifespan or aid me in finding a way for her to live even 100 years more, I will personally see you get home faster" he says with an ashen face. 

The prospect of returning home early is too intriguing to take up and nod. 

"Of course. But what of your wife?" 

He closes his eyes. "She is already 37. If I get 50 more years with her I will count myself lucky. But she is human. There is simply nothing I can do to save her, and it breaks my heart that my daughter and sons will barely even reach the peak of their growth and their mother will be gone. Every moment with them and with her I count as a miracle." 

I nod. "Your story is one that is told in Dorrenhid." 

He chuckles. "My nickname for her to this day is still 'my sweet nemesis'. We hated each other to the breaking point of love eventually. I always loved her, since before everything happened during my brother's coronation. And when she married me, I was the luckiest. One day, I hope you find someone who... you don't hate before you love them with your entire soul and being." 

As he walks away, my heart constricts. 

I've never felt anything like that. 

Rhea walks towards me with an eyebrow raised a few minutes later, a look of disgust on her face. 

"So my father came back with misty eyes and then started snogging my mother. I need to clear my head of that image for the rest of my life." 

I chuckle and smirk at her. "I might be able to help with that, Princess." 

"Oh and how's that?" she taunts. 

"Well, I could just end your life and your brain wouldn't comprehend the image anymore" I try and she laughs. 

"Nice try. We're done trying to kill each other." 

"You might," I call after her and she snickers. 

I watch her go, her honey colored hair waving after her as she disappears swiftly around a corner. 

"Stay away from her," a voice hisses and I whirl as I watch one of her Archers disappears back into the shadows. 

What the hell. 

A/N: So I did some planning and the enemies to lovers plot is underway! Enjoy this chapter :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.7K 20
"I've been warned in my ten years in Faerie to never make bargains with the Folk, but I am the one who can lie. The Folk should be warned to never ma...
26.8K 1.3K 75
"The dream...it was clearer than a memory. And I heard the sound of thundering hooves, splintering shields and ringing swords. And I placed my heir u...
27K 923 60
When Rhaenyra's mother passed away after attempting to give birth to a son for the king, her father decided to remarry just right after naming his da...
673 25 11
Katherine's life has been full of unfortunate events ever since she can recall. Being a mortal in a magic world is truly an unbearable torture, but t...