Tide Changer

By Alwyn_Knighton

Lyra's boyfriend of four years wants a break. What Lyra wants isn't of much importance, though. At least, no... More

Lyra and Emrys
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Epilogue

Seventeen

8.8K 586 153
By Alwyn_Knighton

On the day of the craft fair, I woke up in Rys's bed alone. It didn't happen that often. Even if he needed to work, he usually did it by my side while I was sleeping, but today, he had a video conference at eight in the morning.

The phone Rys gave me came alive on the nightstand, vibrating loudly. I grabbed it and unlocked the screen.

Kaia: Good luck today. I've worn the necklace you gave me almost every day. This is me now.

She attached a selfie in front of the mirror in a white sundress with the twisted bead necklace I gave her around her neck.

Smiling, I typed the reply.

Me: Thank you! The necklace looks perfect on you. You're up early.

The three dots moved on the screen, and Kaia's reply appeared.

Kaia: Ash has race jitters. I'm going to watch him do training laps at the circuit.

Me: Wish Ash good luck.

Kaia: Will do. Say hi to Rys and slay today.

I put the cell aside and went to get ready in the en suite. Somehow, my toiletries migrated there and took up half of Rys's shelf now. After showering, I put on a pale yellow sundress and settled on the turquoise jewelry set Rys liked.

As I left the room, Rys's voice registered with my ears. I found him pacing the kitchen, talking on his cell.

"Tell them we're interested. How much is the competition ready to pay?"

Rys raked his hand through his styled hair, whistling. "Holy...okay. Let's up our offer."

He listened for a moment, looking at the patio through the glass door. "It'll be worth it. The location is idyllic, and nothing has been for sale in that area in forever."

I tiptoed toward him and slid my arms around his waist from behind, resting my cheek on his back.

Rys turned his head and met my eyes with his. A tender smile lit up his face.

"Yes," he said to the person on the phone. "Send me the doc once it's ready."

I kissed him through his ironed button-down. Rys mouthed 'cielo' and put his palm on my hands I'd clasped on his stomach as he continued listening to whoever was on the other end of the line.

"Okay. Deal. I'll be waiting."

He cut the call, rested the cell on the granite countertop, and turned around.

"Sorry. It was important." He kissed my lips. "Can't sleep?"

"I slept enough. It's already after nine."

"Nervous?"

"A bit, but I'm trying not to be. It's not like I have high expectations. If at least someone's interested in my jewelry, it'll be alright."

Rys tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Okay. I made coffee, but if you'd rather go to the fair now, we could have breakfast at the venue."

The booths at the fair wouldn't open until midday. I still had time to check that everything was ready, and Rys would help me display the jewelry, but we wouldn't see each other after that until late in the afternoon when he returned from a work meeting.

"I don't think I'll be able to eat," I said. "Let's go. I need time to arrange everything."

Rys took the card for his Tesla and his suit jacket, and I got the bag with my jewelry I'd packed last night together with some fabric, seashells, and other stuff I'd use to display the items.

I'd already talked to Linda, the fair organizer, who assigned a place to me. When Rys and I arrived at the marina, identical blue booths with colorful seashells painted on the front stood in line on either side of the walkway. Most were still closed. I led Rys to mine and unlocked the door to get inside the tiny space.

He helped me lift the top of the fold-over table and retrieved the fabric from the bag. "What do you need me to do?"

"We'll spread it on the table, and then I'll put the jewelry on top. You could help me tape the strings of lights to the front of the booth and the walls."

It'd taken us a while to find Led lights in the shape of starfish that I'd use once it got dark since the fair would last all day.

"On it," Rys said, reaching into the bag. We draped the dark blue fabric over the table, and I placed the seashells between transparent jewelry display cases.

"Can you tell me how it looks from the outside?" I asked once I'd arranged necklaces, earrings, and bracelets in their respective cases, and Rys took care of the lights.

Rys pecked my cheek and got out of the booth.

"Looks great," he said, rubbing his chin. "Turn on the lights."

They seemed dim in the bright daylight, but it'd be different in the evening. Rys backtracked a few steps and nodded. "Perfect. Do we need anything else?"

A couple of passersby flung curious glances his way, probably because of his business attire that looked out of place in the sea of shorts, sundresses, and colorful tees.

"Nothing else, Mr. Delano. I'm grateful for your help."

"My pleasure."

Once he was by my side, Rys kissed my lips and put his hands on my shoulders, massaging them. "Good luck. Make them fall in love with your creations. I've got to go, mi cielo."

I wanted him to stay on the one hand and didn't on the other. People knew Rys, and I'd hate thinking someone showed an interest in my jewelry only because of him. His support and knowledge were everything, though. I had no clue how to price things, but he helped me calculate their approximate value based on the cost of materials and the time it took me to make the pieces.

"Good luck with the meeting," I said, hugging him. "See you later?"

Rys smiled. "I'll be back as soon as I'm free."

He pecked my cheek once again and exited the booth. I watched him stroll toward his Tesla, and as he got behind the wheel, nerves hit me full-force.

My mother's voice roared in my ears, saying someone as awkward as me wasn't made for sales, and Brock's condescending chuckle joined it.

I took a few deep inhales and let the air out slowly, shifting my attention to the jewelry display and the stack of business cards I wouldn't have thought about ordering if it hadn't been for Rys's insistence. Lyra's Jewelry was written in golden letters on a midnight blue background, and tiny stars were sprinkled in the four corners of the card. I included my newly made business Instagram profile, email, and phone number for prospective customers too, even though I didn't think anyone would be interested.

When the fair began, the marina boomed with people who migrated from booth to booth, inspecting the goods. Linda, the organizer, was the first to check out my jewelry.

"These look amazing," she said, examining the silver dream catcher earrings I was especially proud of.

Even if she said she liked them out of politeness, her words eased some of my worries. "Thank you. You did a great job organizing everything."

"Wait until the band starts playing in an hour. It'll be even more fun then. I'll take these for my daughter."

"Oh...Sure. Wait, I have these tiny bags to put them in."

I grabbed one of the organza drawstring pouches and carefully put the earrings inside. Linda gave me the money and accepted the small bag. "Thank you, Lyra."

It pleased me that she remembered my name. "Here, take this too," I said, picking a business card from the top of the stack. "In case your daughter or anyone you know wants something else."

"So pretty." Linda smoothed her finger over the tiny stars.

I bit back a grin, tempted to tell her I designed the card too. I used the software on Rys's laptop, and he took care of printing them in time for the fair.

Linda shoved my card in her wallet and gave me a warm smile. "I'm sure my daughter will want more. It's the first time I've seen you in Marfolk. Where are you from?"

"Wickhampton."

"A great city," she said. "Too bad it doesn't have an ocean. I can't imagine living anywhere but here. Marfolk is special. Once you visit, you'll always want to come back."

"I love it here."

Linda winked. "Who doesn't? Even Emrys Delano, one of the richest men in the country, fell victim to its charm. He's done a lot for this town. Last year, he donated one hundred grand to the women's shelter. Just don't tell anyone; it's between you and me. He wanted to remain anonymous, but this is Marfolk."

Linda had no clue about Rys and me — she'd never seen us together. That she spoke about him as if everyone knew who he was piqued my curiosity.

"He probably had his reasons," I said.

Linda twirled the bag with the earrings, frowning. "Rumors say he has a personal connection with Marfolk, but who knows? I think this town is perfect for someone like him. He must be sick of all the attention, and Marfolk is the perfect hideaway."

I knew Rys had a successful business, but what Linda said surprised me, regardless. Questions queued up on the tip of my tongue, but the blonde woman who unknowingly told me so much I didn't know glanced around, putting the pouch with the earrings in her beige purse.

"You have more customers, and here I am, making them wait. See you around, Lyra."

She waved goodbye, and my gaze landed on the four girls who stood behind her, clearly waiting to see the jewelry.

"Hi," one of them said as soon as Linda walked away. "Could I see the top right necklace?"

She pointed at the jewelry case on my left, and I handed her the piece.

"It's made of tourmaline," I said. "You can try it on."

When she held it against her neck, her curly-haired friend let out a 'wow'.

"Is it true that tourmaline sucks up negative energy?" she asked.

I shrugged. "I can't promise it'll rid you of negativity, but it's a wonderful, durable material. And it looks amazing with any outfit."

"Do you only have one necklace?"

"Unfortunately, but there's a slightly different tourmaline bracelet right in front of you."

Once the bracelet was on her wrist, she gave an appreciative nod. "I'll take it. Do you have a store?"

"Not yet, but my Instagram is on the card."

Not yet. Rys would be proud if he heard me.

And that was the biggest problem of all because the person who was in my life only temporarily believed in me more than those I'd spent years with.

***

I expected the crowd to dwindle toward the end of the day, but people congregated by the booths in the afternoon. The local band consisting of three guys singing and playing their guitars entertained the fair attendants with upbeat songs, and a mouth-watering aroma wafted from the food tents I didn't have time to check out.

I'd tried so hard not to think about Rys and why he was taking so long that finally seeing him in the crowd felt like a mirage. He'd changed into jeans and a black tee, probably to stand out less, and was strolling toward my booth.

I smoothed my hair and the front of my dress in time for him to appear by the booth with a lazy grin pasted on his face.

"Looks like it was a great day."

I swiped my eyes over the empty jewelry cases. "Looks like it really was."

"Congratulations." Rys leaned over the table and pressed his lips to mine briefly. "Do you need to stay here longer, or are you ready to enjoy the fair as a tourist?"

Hunger and tiredness outweighed the desire to admire the twinkling lights I wouldn't turn on. "I've got nothing left to sell, so I guess nobody will be mad if I pick up my stuff and close," I said.

"Awesome. I'll help."

We put everything in bags together. Rys took them and wrapped my hand in his as we began the walk around the fair venue. Several booths sold jewelry, some offered hand-painted ceramics, clothes, candles, and photo frames.

I bought an ocean-themed scented candle with seashells glued to its sides.

Rys's lips spread into a grin as I showed it to him. "Cute. Would it be hard to make?"

"I don't think so if you're good at crafts."

"You are."

"I might make something with the seashells I found on the beach before vacation ends."

"A candle?"

"Maybe a photo frame. I need to think."

Next to the first food tent, I sniffed the air, my stomach growling.

Rys slowed his pace. "Wait. Don't tell me you haven't eaten."

"I'm telling you. I couldn't leave the booth because someone was always there asking for things."

He clicked his tongue. "Not an excuse. What would you like?"

"I'd kill for a hot dog and fries."

Rys got his wallet from his pocket. "I was thinking about oysters and champagne to celebrate, but the hot dogs look amazing. My treat, Miss Walton. Extra fries for you too, so mine don't tempt you."

When it was our turn to order, Rys told the guy what we wanted and waited until our food was ready. After paying for it, he nodded toward the beach behind the row of booths. "Let's sit on the sand and eat there?"

"Sure."

I carried my hot dog and his, and he looped the bags over his arm to hold the fries and two bottles of water.

We descended the stone steps leading to the sand. "Let's sit closer to the ocean," I said.

Some of the warm sand stuck to my thighs as I plopped on it. I dusted it off my skin and took a bite of my hot dog, chewing with my eyes closed.

Rys chuckled. "A fry?"

"Please."

He plucked one from a paper basket and gave it to me. "If you want more, ask."

"So you can make sure I don't filch?"

He burst out laughing, his blue eyes crinkling in the corners. "So I can be helpful and you can hold your food with both hands. So, who was your first customer?"

"Linda, one of the fair organizers. She bought a pair of dream catcher earrings for her daughter."

And disclosed information I was still thinking about hours later. "She also mentioned you," I said, taking advantage of Rys biting into his hot dog. He'd be less irritated by my nosy question if he was busy eating.

He swallowed and reached into the basket he put on top of a bag between us. "Me?"

"She said you donated lots of money to the women's shelter last year."

Rys shrugged, shoving a fry into his mouth. "I guess that's common knowledge. Nothing stays secret in Marfolk."

"And she called you one of the richest men in the country."

I braced myself for Rys's annoyance, but a trace of a smile touched his lips instead. "That's common knowledge, too. Does it change anything?"

"No. Of course not. I just realized I don't know that much about you."

"You know more than lots of people, and you can always ask me questions. But first, eat. I don't want you to starve."

Caring and a tad bossy Rys was back. We resumed eating until all we had left was one fry.

"For you," he said, holding it in front of me.

I accepted it and bit off a tiny part. "Now I don't remember what I wanted to ask you."

Rys piled up the empty baskets and wiped his mouth with a paper napkin. "I have a question then. How did your father come to own so many resorts?"

I thought of an answer as I finished munching on the fry. "He bought an old one, remodeled it, and once it started giving him money, he took out a loan to buy another one, and then several more. I guess it's a pretty typical way of doing things."

"Probably," Rys said. "I asked because when they talk about my wealth, they often forget about my father. Delano Environmental Solutions is my child I'm one hundred percent responsible for, but I funded it with my trust. I was lucky."

Brock sprang to my mind. He blew a large part of his trust on parties when he turned twenty-one last year, which was partly the reason his father was eager to make him work.

"There are worse ways to spend money," I said.

"For sure. But I would've needed to work twice as long to save enough for setting up my business. My father helped me a lot by supporting me, and I'd be an idiot not to admit that. And speaking of trusts, do you have one?"

I grabbed a paper napkin and folded it into a triangle. "Yeah."

"Isn't it enough to set up your jewelry business or study?"

Six zeroes were definitely more than what even the best Master's degree would cost. But here I was, with nothing to rely on other than what my mother put in my account and what I made selling my jewelry today.

I sighed. "More than enough."

"But you said you'd need to get a job to pay for a Master's degree."

"I won't get a cent until I get married."

Rys's brows went skyward. "What? Tell me that's a joke."

"I wish," I whispered, my throat turning into a cinching belt.

A frown etched into the side of Rys's mouth. "That's sad." He picked up the napkin he'd crumpled earlier and tossed it back into the empty paper basket. "No, you know what? That's not sad. That's bullshit. Why would anyone make you tie your financial well-being to your marital status?"

"My parents argued about it. Dad wanted to just let me have it, but my mother thought I wouldn't be able to manage the money because I'd never shown an interest in finances." Or rather, had never been allowed to manage what was rightfully mine.

"What if you decide marriage isn't for you?"

"I'd get a job like everyone else. Which is my plan, anyway. I'm fed up with feeling this way."

Rys reached over and caressed my cheek. Even if it was out of pity, I didn't care. I wanted to soak up every bit of his tenderness and attention.

"What way?" he asked quietly.

I leaned into his soothing touch. "Like I'm a puppet, and someone else moves the strings."

And until the craft fair in Marfolk, the thought of them finally snapping had never crossed my mind.

What are your thoughts, guys? Was there anything that surprised you?

I just love Lyra and Rys together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216K 2.1K 74
BLURB After a painful teenage rejection from her crush who happens to be her father's best friend, Sophia is determined to win over his heart at all...
955K 16.6K 41
In which a young girl succumbs to her fathers business partner. • • • Disclaimer: Mature Content Ahead! This book is very cringe and fast paced, so p...
1.7K 32 17
An angsty romance. * * * Maisie knows her relationship with James is on the verge of breaking up. She still loves her boyfriend, but is her love enou...