Paint The Ice

By -consequential-

Asher Humphrey booked a babysitter on Friday night so he could hang out with his friends after their hockey g... More

PAINT THE ICE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 22

19.8K 454 50
By -consequential-

RILEY

THE FOOD SMELLS HEAVENLY.

We're sitting around the dining table and Asher's family went all out. The golden brown turkey sends flavor through my tastebuds. It's tender and delicious. I'm scared I might moan. The other foods on my plate are just as good. A slice of ham coated in pineapple and maraschino cherries (don't knock it till you try it), cranberry sauce, stuffing, green bean casserole, fruit salad, rolls and sweet potatoes. Looks better than what Cole's eating I bet.

I've only just started eating and I know for the first time in my life that I'm not going to be able to stop. "This is delicious." I swallow the buttery flaky goodness in one enormous bite.

Shirley looks over at me, eyes shimmering under the lights. "Are you sure?"

I'm taking another fat bite of the dinner roll. I shield my mouth with my hand when I decide to speak. "I've never had rolls like this before. I know it's not store bought. Those taste real and warm and original." Swallowing, I immediately say, "Asher told me you're a chef? These are good."

"Yeah, I am." Shirley looks proud of herself. "Went to culinary school and all that jazz. Thank you."

"I helped, don't take all the credit now." Lindsay jokes, raising her hand for our attention. When she does get what she's looking for, it's me she directs a conversation to. "Riley, your brother never mentioned anything about being a twin. I was floored when Asher told me. I just couldn't believe it. You look just like him though. I can tell he's your brother. Tall alike, just wow."

"I got that a lot when I was a kid,"Difference is the simple gender factor. My brother's features are masculine and though mine are feminine it's still obvious we're related. "I've been tall my whole life. I was the tallest girl in my classes for many years."

For that reason, throughout middle and high school during class photos I would be placed at the back so the other kids could fill the front and I wouldn't block anyone.

"I hope you're not insecure about your height darling,"Her eyes stare into mine from across the table like she's making sure that I'm not insecure. "Never drop your shoulders to make anyone feel comfortable. Take up space. I tell Asher that all the time."

"I like being tall."I simply admit. "I don't know anything else so I do own it. I'm not insecure at all. I think it makes me a bit scary and I love it."My response draws laughter out of everyone. Not in a mocking way but how I enjoy being frightening to others as I should.

"Good." Dave says, the wrinkles at the corners of his eyes evident when he laughs.

For a few more bites, all I could hear were forks hitting plates. I don't blame anyone. I'm not exaggerating when I say the food is divine. It's the best meal I've had in a while.

Pouring himself a glass of wine, Dave directs a question to me. "Are you a hockey fan?"

I'm staring at the wine I bought. Shirley wasn't playing around when she said it'll be put to use today. It makes me happy to witness. To be a part of something. A dinner. A family. Even if it's just for a while.

I slice into the ham on my plate. "I can't say I'm a super fan." By that I mean the vehement screams which I don't have a problem with, everyone reacts to wins and loses differently. "I know a few things because I watch my brother play often. Whenever he has games, I would try my best to get there and see him. It's exciting. I enjoy watching. So yeah, maybe that makes me a hockey fan."

"I enjoy watching hockey games too." Lindsay chimes in, swallowing the sweet potato before she speaks again. "I haven't been to many of Asher's games this time because I'm too crammed with work. I promised myself that if he makes it to the Frozen Four I don't care what I have to do, I'm flying wherever."

Confidence radiates off Asher beside me. "It's St Paul, Minnesota, Mom. April 11 and 13. Save the date I'll be there."

Dave taps a hand on his chest, proud. "He got that confidence from me."

Lindsay doesn't seem to agree. "No. I think he got it from me."

Shirley on the other hand gets down to business. "Does that mean you think you'll be nominated for the Hobey Baker Award?"

This catches Lindsay's attention, so she follows up with a question also. "Isn't there a fan voted section of the process?"

Dave nods at his wife, certain. "He'll win."

The ham is sweet and savory in my mouth as I chew the food. I just listen to the family and watch.

"Nomination is achievable. There will be around ten finalists? So yeah." Asher tells them.

"Down to three, right?" Dave's eyes cross his son.

Something flashes through Asher's. Like he doesn't want to think about those opportunities or possibilities right now. I can't say I blame him, he's away from the ice and anything sports related at this moment. "Yeah. Down to three. Winning is... a step far. It's an extensive process I think."

"You were just sure about the Frozen Four, what happened? Why are you unsure about the Hobey Baker's Award?" It's Lindsay's turn to pour herself a glass of wine.

"I'm not."Asher assures his family. "It's just different than being on the ice in charge. We'll see how it goes, nothing much happens until next year. Calm down everyone."

"You don't have to win," Dave clarifies, taking a pause on the wine in his hand. "Being nominated would be an honor, son. I know for a fact that you would reign in the fan voted phases. I've been to your games, I've heard the screams, I've watched your interviews. The scouts love you. The fans love you. The coaches love you."

Asher's ears turn pink. I swallow my laugh. It's cute. Too cute. "Alright alright alright." He waves his dad off. "Enough about me."

And that automatically shifts his family's focus on me. Great way to hand me to the sharks. No I'm just playing, it's fine by me. "Is that how you and our Ash become friends? Going to your brother's hockey games? I mean given that Asher's also on the team?"

I clear my throat, aligning my back with the chair. "Actually my brother reached out to me for help on behalf of Asher. His babysitter didn't show up on a Friday night and I was the next best option for you know, desperate times."

"It wasn't desperate." Asher interjects, shaking his head in denial.

Do we have the same recollection?

I bite back a laugh. "You practically begged." I catch a grin on Asher's lip noting he's not taking this seriously at all. Turning my attention to the older adults at the table, I say, "Anyway, I babysat Tommy that night which was great and we kinda just became friends after that."

Asher's grin widens. "She claimed she was a horrible babysitter which turns out that was a lie." Underneath the table, a hand presses into my thigh. Asher's. Nothing sexual about it. One second his hand is tangible, and the other it's a ghost of a touch. "Riley wanted me to clean the studio where she paints instead of accepting pay for babysitting like a normal person would."

We're telling them that?

"So basically a bargain? Smart girl." Shirley chuckles. "Are you in school? A studio was mentioned."

I nod in response. "Yeah. I go to Taft as well. I major in art and so I paint frequently in the studio but I gotta clean up."

"She means I gotta clean up by the way." Asher points to himself.

"Work smarter not harder." Dave must be my inner monologue. "You have no idea what you've just done. This is Shirley and my wife's dream right now. Adding another girl to their farmer's market and art galleries trip."

Shirley exhales like she's been tired and finally got a minute to breathe in relief. "Finally someone who will appreciate the true value of Marquette."

"Oh yeah. Riley admires Van Gogh." The minute Asher says it, I try to wrap my brain around how his memory works. How his brain works. How he remembers every single thing I've ever told him or mentioned. It's highly admirable.

"Really? The Van Gogh immersive experience just came to Marquette. I haven't been yet but if you want to come, can I book us in for tomorrow?" She's waiting for my input. But then she says. "All of us are going. Asher and Dave won't be cliff jumping this time. It's too cold out."

"Yes. Please. I'd love to go."I say because there's no way in hell I'm saying no. I've always wanted to get into the Van Gogh immersive experience in Detroit but never got around to it so this is an opportunity that I'm not going to let pass me by.

Shirley sticks her fork into ham on her plate. "Great. So, you grew up in Michigan or did you move for school?"

"I grew up here. Detroit."

Dave seems satisfied by my answer. "Ah, I got a buddy down there in manufacturing. Nice place."

Another question rings out. "First time here then?"

"Yeah. Lots of forests around here." I chuckle.

"Oh yes. A part of the charm. You don't like the outdoors?" Shirley continues, sipping on the wine again.

"Depends," I breathe out, "I mean, I do like it. I'm not friends with the cold but I'll do it if it means I'm exploring places."

"I'm glad you said that. I'm not sure if Asher told you this but up here we often get to see the northern lights. Beautiful. I think if we get out there when it's completely dark tonight through the forest, we might have a shot of catching it."

"He mentioned it, yeah." I flash Asher a quick glance. "How often does it happen?"

"There are specific months but I'd say pretty often."

The rest of the conversation goes smoothly and I'm thankful no one mentions my mother or asks about her. Whatever Asher told them must've suffice. I don't feel like it's an interrogation. They're just trying to get to know me better, which is the least I can do being their guest.

I don't think I've ever eaten this much in my life. After the dinner, I'm sporting a food baby. Shirley says it's cool outside so I change into my coat, run my fingers through my scalp, slap on a beanie and a pair of gloves to venture into the night.

In the mudroom, Shirley gives everyone a headlamp. I pull mine over my beanie. "Why do we need this?"

"Otherwise you won't be able to see where we're stepping. We need to be in darkness if you want to see the lights." Shirley explains, helping Tommy with his little coat. "We might not see the lights and that's okay. We can try again tomorrow if this doesn't work out. Everybody ready?"

Tommy's wide awake the entire time. He's on Asher's hip and I'm sure he's the most comfortable out of everyone. We stick together in the dark while Dave tells jokes to keep us going. I'm not sure how far we walked and where we decided to stop. I just know there are trees everywhere. For an hour and a half, nothing happens.

Then in one special moment.

Out of nowhere.

When we least expect it.

Colors burst through the sky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 352 15
"Got a boy back home in Michigan and it tastes like Jack when I'm kissing him." 'study buddies' can mean a bunch of different things. especially if y...
659K 19.9K 42
2021 Watty's Shortlist! *Mostly edited* T/W: physical abuse "Why did you sign me up for Tinder?" I roll my eyes, "Why else do you think? To get you a...
8.4M 151K 63
π‡πž 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦 𝐒𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫π₯𝐝 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐚𝐒𝐧𝐞𝐝. π’π‘πž 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐑𝐒𝐬 𝐜π₯𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐬𝐀𝐲 𝐒𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫π₯𝐝 𝐰𝐫𝐞𝐜...
91.8K 3.7K 22
Even though she's one year out of college, for once in her life, Reese Adler is going to have a summer for herself. Her little brother, who she pract...