Forever It's You (It's You Se...

By Kim_Knights

Book 2 of It's You Series. Soon to be titled as the Crown Princess of Joseon, Hwang Eun-bi struggles to adapt... More

Author's Note / Cover Design
1 ✽ Life in the Palace
2 ✽ Da-hee
3 ✽ The Red Bridge
4 ✽ Reunion
5 ✽ A Gift to You
6 ✽ The Queen Dowager
7 ✽ My Person
8 ✽ The Royal Wedding
9 ✽ The First Night
10 ✽ The King's Task
11 ✽ Newlyweds
12 ✽ Duties
13 ✽ An Angry Husband
14 ✽ A Mischievous Princess
15 ✽ Punishment
16 ✽ Missing Home
17 ✽ Noblewomen
18 ✽ A Peculiar Accountant
19 ✽ Loneliness
20 ✽ Gossip
21 ✽ Hidden Intentions
23 ✽ A Wildflower
24 ✽ Inspection
25 ✽ On a Mission
26 ✽ In Disguise
27 ✽ Into the Past
28 ✽ In His Arms
29 ✽ Confronting the Enemy
30 ✽ The Royal Court
31 ✽ From the Shadows
32 ✽ Betrayals
33 ✽ The Final Act
34 ✽ Death Match
35 ✽ The Royal Couple
Epilogue

22 ✽ A Team

1K 141 39
By Kim_Knights

Everyone knew Yul to be cold, untouchable and distant, but now, he was following Eun-bi's bidding; doing whatever she wanted him to.

She sat him on the edge of her bed before grabbing the medicinal box that was stowed away in one of her cabinets.

"It doesn't hurt at all," he said. "It's true."

Eun-bi gave him a doubtful side-eye. Was he afraid of showing pain? Or did he not wish to trouble her?

Whichever it was, she didn't care. "Stay still and let me treat you."

She hoisted his bruised foot onto her lap suddenly, throwing him off balance, and his back hit her bed. He stared up at the ceiling, stunned at her display of strength as she pulled off his black boot and sock to reveal his bare feet. There was a small red bruise but fortunately, it didn't seem that bad.

Eun-bi glared at her own hands and feet, silently berating them for not listening to her well. If her own mother knew she had hurt the Crown Prince, Eun-bi would be in so much trouble.

She could be disowned or get beaten to death by a broomstick. Or perhaps, stoned to death by her mother's favourite shoes.

Maybe next time, she ought to look at whose foot it was before she actually attacked them.

Yul watched quietly as she shook her head and began her ministration, applying a medicinal salve on his sore foot before bandaging with a cloth. "Is this better? I apply this medicine whenever I get bruises from climbing. It works wonders."

Nodding once, he continued staring at her with a tender expression in his eyes. "What's wrong?" she asked. "Is this face of mine so charming that you can't look away?"

Even though she was teasing him, he made a small hum of agreement. His lips parted slightly in an exhale, his gaze full of warmth. "This feels different. It's pleasant to be taken care of by someone this... attentively."

She immediately understood the meaning behind his words. While the palace servants tended to his needs every day, they did it because it was their job.

It was different for her. She did it voluntarily and out of love. She did it because they were family.

Her grin stretched from ear to ear. "You better get used to it then, Your Highness."

That earned her a smile that she loved to see, one that made her happy instantly. He propped himself on his elbows and attempted to sit up, but when Eun-bi pulled up his other foot onto her lap, he was flung back onto the bedding again.

This time, he emitted a groan. "What are you doing?"

She pulled off his other boot and tossed it all the way to the other side of the room. "Helping you to lose your shoes," she said mischievously. "Now, you're staying for the entire night and telling me about your plan. How are we catching these criminals? How many of them are there?"

His brows pulled together into a frown. "Before we discuss that, we need to start from the beginning." Hesitation trickled into his tone. "It's something you won't enjoy hearing."

"Oh?" She raised a brow, her curiosity heightened. "How bad is it? Like bad bad? Or heinously bad that we would need a shovel to bury a body?"

Despite her playful tone, Yul didn't share the same enthusiasm as she did. This was when she knew there was a serious matter on hand.

She plopped back onto the bed, knowing she was due for a long story. "I will sit still and listen to you."

He offered her a small apologetic smile. "I'll keep it short for you."

He swung his legs off her lap and sat up. Eun-bi crossed her legs and tucked them under her thighs, listening attentively as he began to share about his family's history.

His voice was grave and solemn. "For years, many have always wanted the throne, including nobles who wish to gain control over the royals," he explained. "However, the current King is clever, sharp-witted and firm in his beliefs. It is difficult to manipulate him to do their biddings. For those who tried, they ended up dying or locked away in the dungeons."

Eun-bi inhaled sharply. Most of the time, the King portrayed himself as a silly, old man before her. Now, she was silently relieved that he was her father-in-law and adored her, otherwise, she couldn't have escaped from death for offending him several times in the past.

"However," Yul continued his story, "the rebels have yet to give up on the throne. We've received several reports throughout the years over missing armoury and money that we had sent to the soldiers guarding our borders. It was reported that landslides and robberies by rogues were the causes, but as years went by, it was getting obvious that everything was a ploy. Whoever stole them did it as discreetly as they could, but we're already aware of them. Our men are secretly investigating and collecting evidence now."

Eun-bi rubbed her hands together in excitement. "Great, but what about me? What role am I going to play in this investigation? The interrogator? I've a knack for turning people insane with my words."

"You can't." He stopped briefly for a moment. "You're already caught in it."

"I—What?"

She didn't miss the way his face turned into a look of shame and remorse, which deflated her excitement. When he finally revealed the truth, disappointment swelled within her.

"It all started from the day you proposed the construction of the female academy. You've already become their target, Eun-bi." His fists clenched on his knees while he looked away unhappily. "It was Father's fault for letting it happen. It was in his plan and he didn't inform me earlier. I confronted him when I first found out."

"The King?"

Eun-bi let out a snort, unsurprised. "I knew there was something that he was hiding from me when he handed me such a huge task. It turns out that I'm just a pawn in his chess game."

Yul was furious. "You're definitely not a pawn," he said firmly. "I've already spoken to Father about this and gave him an earful. He should not have risked your life like that."

So this was the reason he got enraged with the King the other day. The image of the Crown Prince going up against his father and giving him a lecture was amusing. "What else did he say?'

Yul grew even more upset. "Father thinks you would make a good bait because you're new to the palace and have much to learn. He believes people would take advantage of your lack of knowledge and inexperience for their self-gain."

Eun-bi snorted once again. The King definitely lived up to his reputation as a shrewd one. "And that's why he kept me in the dark?"

"He did that because he wanted others to fall for your innocence." Yul's face crumpled into an expression full of regret. "I'm terribly sorry about my father, Eun-bi. When you promised a future with me, I promised to protect your entire life. This isn't what I wanted you to experience in the palace."

His voice wavered subtly, almost as if he got frustrated at his own incompetence. Moreover, he was caught between two of his dearest people in his life and it would devastate him if they pitted against each other.

Her tone softened and she reached for his cheeks. "Don't blame yourself, Yul. I've lived in the palace for months and seen several problems that aren't easily solvable by hands or words. You can't constantly be by my side and protect me from our enemies. I would much rather prefer you give me a chance to protect myself, and a chance to be of help to you."

"Besides," she chirped, "even if the King didn't ask, I would have still built the female academy anyway."

Yul studied her expression closely in confusion. "Aren't you...angry?"

"Towards you? — No. The King? — Yes, I am," she answered, sounding overly bubbly. "It's just that I haven't blown up like a bomb yet. Come, Yul. We've to go."

His expression went from puzzlement to surprise as she retrieved his shoes and gave them back to him to put them on. "Where are we going?"

She grabbed his hand and led his hand, hurrying out of her bedchamber and courtyard. "Causing harm to the King is punishable by death. If I can't throw my shoes at his face, does he have a favourite vase? My fingers are itching to destroy something."

Yul nodded in agreement. "He keeps his favourite wine bottles hidden behind his bed. Those meant more dearly to him."

A laugh escaped her lips, and it felt good after experiencing all the tension in the palace recently. She patted his shoulder lightly. "It feels good to have a Prince be my accomplice."

While Eun-bi was disappointed with the King for hiding his intentions from her, Yul revealing the truth meant that he trusted her abilities. He needed her help, and she was willing to offer it to him in her best capacity.

And she ought to show the King she, too, could catch wicked men just as well as he could!

A/N: I really owe you guys an apology for uploading this chapter late! Work has been stressing me out these past few months and a family member has been admitted into the hospital. I really wanted to write more but life just happens. 😩 *Sigh*

I hope that you're enjoying the story! 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Nabi 🦋 By ykna

Fanfiction

275 18 1
Kim Yeonja, the chosen crown princess, fled on the day of her wedding-and now it is up to Taehyung, her twin brother, to save their family from both...
1.1M 95.8K 72
Book 1 of It's You Series. Hwang Eun-bi, a boyish noblewoman, stumbles upon the Crown Prince of Joseon and is forced to participate in the Selection...
75.8K 5.4K 44
[𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗧𝗘𝗗] A journey of Kim Taehyung, Royal Prince of the Kingdom of Daegu, who escaped the imperial palace in search of his mate. What hap...
Commander Jeon By Yelllow

Historical Fiction

9.6K 519 39
In order to survive in an enemy Kingdom Lee Ari must think and act with all her wits. Although she still gets herself in troubles. But a handsome com...