My Alpha Mate

By 1434everr

Highest Ranking: #2 in human What do you do when you have a cocky, jealous, hot, arrogant, Alpha mate? You dr... More

DEAR NEW READERS
Prologue
The Dinner Date Disaster
Home
How to Make it Out of The Woods Alive For Dummies
Bride to Be
Werewolves are Real
Truths and Lies
Arguments and New Friends
Life's Irks
Black Magic
Stupid, Ignorant, Alpha's
Unprepared For Being Prepared
To Love or Be Left
Wicked Arrangements
Webs of Truth
Jealousy's A Real Bitch
Roles in Responsibilty
My One True Love
The Song Of Songs
In The Heat Of The Moment
He Can't Take The Heat
My Cute Alpha
Luna In Training
When Your Best Bud Tries To Drown You
The New Human's Mate
Ready To Run
A Different Kind Of Dangerous
A Prisoner To The Devil.
Controlling His Inner Demons
When Pandora Hates Your Life
He Will Make Them Pay
He Has Lost All Hope
Finding His Peace Of Mind
Family Changes Everything
The Wait.
Not Quite There
Little Do You Know
Ryan Matte
Another Talk
Never Letting Go
Our Official First Date
Make Me Yours
Things Are Changing
Because This Is What I Need Right Now
The Painful Truth
The Revealing
Poison From A Wound
The Important Children
Painful Preparations
A Baby Boy's Name
Ride
I Hate the Alpha
New Parents
Happily Ever After or Never After
Thank You Rant/Sequel Info
SEQUEL IS PUBLISHED!

Playing By The Rules

80.3K 2.1K 398
By 1434everr

*Edited: February 28th, 2022

Chapter 13: Playing By The Rules.

{Valerie}

"Valerie, wake up." A soft voice paired with a light shake to my shoulders made me groan.

"Go away." I whine then push my face into the pillows while covering myself whole with the blankets.

"Greyson's requesting your presence, the council is here and would very much like to see you." I went silent for a few moments before opening one eye and peaking at Raven.

"Right now?" She nods.

"I'll be ready in ten." I hear the door of Greyson's room shut making me sigh as I stretch. I was prepared to make the walk to my room for clothes when I noticed an outfit already made at the foot of the bed. It consisted of a sleeveless red summer dress and simple white sandals.

My morning routine took no time at all and as promised, I was meeting Raven in the hall, dressed and ready within ten minutes.

"Valerie the council may act a little.. funny towards you." Her words made me frown as she watched me with a troubled look.

"Is it because I'm human?" She sighs deeply while scratching at her wrist.

"Your pa- Oh, yeah! Yes, it's because you're human." Her response was quick but she immediately clears her throat as if she was nervous.

"Because you're human they might act weird, but don't mind them. They'll warm up to you in no time." She suddenly stops in front of a door that's labeled in big bold letters.

Alpha Anderson

"Just try not to get too nervous, show them how strong you are." She gives me an encouraging squeeze to my shoulder as I take in the office door confused. Raven was fidgeting from one foot to the other then reached for the door.

"Remember, nervous is bad, confidence good." She gives me an over exaggerated smile hoping for me to follow, then she shoves me inside, an awkward smile still on my lips as she closes the door.

There sat five people. Greyson at the head of the table, Crystal in the corner of the room, and three unknown individuals at the opposite end. Once the door clicked behind me, each set of eyes had different emotions flowing through each of them.

Crystal's glassy blues were glowering at me, but she didn't make a move to regard me in any way other than putting her nose up at me. Greyson's soft gaze took me in intently before patting the seat next to him.

"Why don't you come take a seat?" I oblige and make my way beside him. Once I was settled looks of excitement, disbelief, and utter distaste awaited me at the table. Three middle aged people sat before me, two were men, and between them sat a woman.

"These are the head of council. Nila," She was the look of excitement. Tanned skin glowed back at me, and despite the small crows feet that showed her age, her features were all equally striking. Her face was adorned with hazel eyes, perfect brows and her lips were painted in vibrant red. As for her hair, it was pulled back into a slick peppered bun with small curls peaking out.

"Roe," The look of disbelief. A cute mop of ginger frizzy curls sat atop his head, a deep set of dimples and smile lines were carved into his cheeks. Green eyes regarded me politely as he flashed a pearly white smile.

"And Cadenth." The distaste. Jet black hair was slicked back to perfection, without a single piece out of line. Equally dark eyes watched my every move, accompanied by a sneer showing yellowed teeth and a dark brow raised my way.

Sheesh, who pissed in his Cheerios?

"Well my Goddess, if it isn't Valerie Perez. You're gorgeous, sweetheart." I'm taken aback when Nila speaks up, giving me a radiant smile while clasping her hands on top of the table. I quickly warmed up to her and smiled.

"Thank you, it's nice to meet you, Nila." The crow feet at the edge of her eyes disappeared as she gave a confused laugh, her small stray curls bouncing as her shoulders shook with laughter.

"Nice to meet you? Oh child, I go way-." Greyson cuts her off by clearing his throat and gives her a pointed look, to which she gives me a warm smile.

"Yes, it's very nice to meet you." Ignoring Greyson's unease I lean forward a bit, intrigued by the woman and what she had to say.

"I'm sorry, but have we met?"

"Valerie." Greyson scolds. I don't look away and she gives me a sad smile.

"Not in this lifetime, dear."

"I hate to be that girl, but can we hurry with the socializing? As an Alpha's daughter I have better things to do with my time." All eyes turn to the redhead in the corner as she picks at her nails, unbothered.

"I agree with Miss Jacobs. We're here strictly on formal affairs." Cadenth's voice suddenly rang through my head.

"Right, we'll have to catch up over dinner some time." Nila gives a kind smile to the Alpha beside me as he reaches into a folder.

"I summoned the three of you to request either Alpha Tanner Hall's immediate detainment, or an inevitable death warrant." My eyes widen as he passes three copies to the council members at the same time something bangs into the wall behind us.

"What? Detainment and death warrant?!" Crystal lunges for the table and picks up one of the extra folders. After briskly skimming through it she slams it to the table and takes a seat next to me.

"Greyson this is fucking crazy, you can't kill him!" Her eyes had a feral look to them as she took him in then momentarily looks at me.

"What is she doing here?!" She shrieks while Roe shakes his head silently and continues going over the papers.

"He attacked my mate and your Luna, Crystal. What he's done won't go unanswered, your privilege as an Alpha's daughter does you no good here." Something told me I was going to witness a full blown tantrum as she seethes beside me.

"Greyson I am your Luna." She snarls. I look beside me warily and it was obvious to everyone Greyson's patience was running thin as his jaw ticked.

"Crystal, watch your mouth. We've been over this. Your father-." She abruptly stands and slams her hands into the table while leaning over me and I groan. How did I quite literally end up in the middle of this?

"My father is not the point of discussion right now, so I don't want to hear it, Anderson. The Luna position is mine. I'm of Alpha blood, I'm a better fit than your fuck up of a mate ever will be." Well fuck, if everything else hadn't done it, this did. Greyson stands to his towering height with his hands resting calmly against the table, but his red eyes told a different story.

It was at that moment I felt like I was in a movie. Nila damned the file a few minutes ago, and was now resting her head in her hands with a mischievous glint in her eye as we watched the scene unfold together.

"Submit." The word was so soft I almost didn't catch it, but I can tell what Greyson had done must've been a big deal by the shocked expression on everyone's face. I had no idea what was going on, but I felt the need to have some popcorn and call Michael.

"I beg your pardon?" Crystal scoffs with disbelief as his eyes harden. He took a step forward until their chests were pressed against one another and he grits his teeth.

"Crystal Jacobs, submit now." Her eyes were slowly getting darker at this point.

"How dare you." It was only for a second that she poked his chest with a single claw, but he caught her wrist with lightening speed and forces her to her knees.

Fuck that bitch up, she touched our man! I felt a small itch in my hand to do just that but quickly refrain and push myself deeper into the chair.

I take in my mates rigged posture, those ruby red eyes, and bulging muscles that showed the apex predator he was and gulp. Let the Goddess help me, he definitely looked fuck fest worthy right now.

"So.. are you gonna battle for dominance or what?" My gaze snaps to the side to look at the council members.

"Nila!" Roe and Cadenth hiss with mortified expressions and she shrugs, going back to her original position. This still didn't deter Greyson's focus in the slightest.

"Crystal, submit." I had a feeling this was going to be the last time he asked. His eyes glowered down at hers in a battle of fire and ice until finally, with a notice of a snarl, she bares her neck.

The second she did so he dropped her. Moments later he came up behind me to snake his arms around my waist while taking my scent and I frown.

"Grey-?"

"My answer?" He didn't need to elaborate from his place against my neck as Nila stood up and clasped her hands happily.

"Detainment it is! Should he cause any problems for us we'll see to it he's taken care of." Crystal growls while standing to her feet.

"And what do you mean by taken care of?" Nila's gaze finally settles on her to quirk a brow.

"He'll not only be unfit to lead a pack, but a danger to others. He'll be put down like a dog should he continue to act like one through corrective treatment." The redhead stiffens.

"You'll notify me should it come close to that point.. please." She adds and Nila nods while taking in the rest of us.

"Well I'll say it's been a rather eventful visit." Crystal and Cadenth file out the room with Roe slowly trailing behind them, but not before he gives a soft goodbye.

"Oh and Greyson, please do think on my proposal?" Nila's words were kind as she spoke to the Alpha who was nuzzling into my hair unbothered and I roll my eyes. Since when was he touchy?

"Valerie, do take care of yourself. You have a good man and pack here." I smile in response when she goes to hug me, but Greyson shocks me.

Not only did he move me out of her reach, but gave a quiet whine as he whispered out a small, "Mine." Almost how a spoilt child would act with their favorite toy.

"Greyson!" I hiss while sending her an apologetic smile and settle on a handshake as she smirks.

Nila didn't say another word until she made her way to the door frame, where I could've sworn she whispered, "Your parents would've been proud."

***

A good thirty minutes had passed since the council left, the only thing that'd changed was Greyson and I weren't in his office, we were on his bed.

"You know, you're being extremely clingy all of a sudden." I try wiggling to get comfy, but he tightens his hold on my hips and cuddles further into my tummy, making my shirt rise more.

"I've just missed everything about you." Was his simple response as he nuzzled against my tummy, his hair tickling the exposed skin.

"But I'm right here." My voice was soft as I hesitantly reach to run my fingers through his wavy curls. He jolted against me at first before relaxing once again with a deep breath.

From yesterday to now, everything had been so hectic. This was the first moment we've had to just relax in each others company, and as much as I didn't want to ruin it, I wanted so badly to ask him all the questions I was dying to know. I wondered with Tanner and I no longer together and whatever business arrangement he and Crystal had, where that left us. Would we be together? Was I even ready for something like that.. to be with the one person I'm destined to for however long my forever allows?

"You smell so good." He was lazily tracing my hip in irregular patterns as I stared at the ceiling, only to yawn and I freeze.

He was tired.

I wanted to coo at how adorable the supposedly big mean Alpha was, because now it suddenly made sense. He hadn't slept since the night before and he must've been exhausted after having to catch Tanner.. and mangling the gym room.

Before I was able to take my maybe once in a lifetime chance of poking fun at the Alpha, soft snores rumble against my tummy and his hold around me loosens.

He seemed so peaceful, so at ease. I took note of the way his hair slightly fell on his forehead, or the way I'd never noticed he has a faded scar on his cheek. I didn't want to wake him but he couldn't have chosen a worse time to sleep, because I was starving my ass off.

After squirming for ten minutes then giving a few huffs and puffs to force Greyson's upper half off, I was free to run downstairs and into the kitchen.

I was thankful that no one was downstairs as I grab handfuls of cheeses, meats, and vegetables for a sandwich. Things were going my way until I shut the fridge door, only to scream and drop everything at my feet when I came face to face with Michael.

"Scared ya, huh?" He gives me a flashy smile as I glare, motioning to all the food at my feet.

"I haven't eaten all day, and of all the times you want to sneak up on me, it's when I'm about to raid the kitchen like a wild animal-." I was dead set on finishing my rant the longer I watched Michael's smug expression, but I faltered the second loud thuds sound from upstairs.

"What the hell was that?" I frown and Michael tsks at me.

"Did you leave him alone?" Just as I opened my mouth to speak a rugged looking Alpha bounded his was down the stairs, hurriedly making his way towards the front door. I didn't know what else to do besides silently follow behind him at distance with Michael by my side.

"Dear Goddess she left me, just when I thought.. I- she left." He was oblivious to us as he stepped out the door, mumbling a string of words under his breath making me frown.

He must've thought better of leaving as he stopped in his tracks to yell out, "Michael!"

"Uh, yes?" Michael winces in response while rubbing at his ear. Greyson quickly turns on his heel, taking in the two of us until his eyes settle on me.

He was clearly distressed, his chest was heaving and his hair looked disheveled. Whether it was from his short lived nap or not, I bit my lip as I wring my fingers.

"I-I was hungry." I state quickly making him give a small sigh.

"You know I'm pretty hungry too, Grey. In fact, I'm sure the guards finishing their perimeter check would be elated to watch over their future Luna on an outing." At this Greyson scowls, clearly annoyed from being woken from his nap. He looks between Michael and I, before grumbling out a few noncoherent curses as he grabs a set of keys and then my hand.

Michael was practically leaping for joy as he made his way to a blacked out van, but not before he enthusiastically shared with a group of three men that we were going out for lunch. The lot of them all ran inside to change clothes while Greyson got me settled into the backseat beside Michael, until we finally pulled out of the driveway.

I was silent for the most part, simply watching the never ending trees and plush grass transform into the city over the course of an hour.

"Hey, Val, wanna hang out later? I know we haven't had much one on one time since you've been here, so I was wondering if you wanted to go out." Michael whispers.

At this Greyson quickly adjusts his rear view mirror so he can see the both of us, a glare painted across his features while Michael stares at him quizzically.

"Yeah, I'd love that." I smile causing Michael to send a knowing smirk to an annoyed Greyson.

"Obviously, I came up with the idea." Michael retorts while I roll my eyes and sink into my seat.

"Well you two have fun. I have things I need to attend to so I can't join." Greyson butts in and I look at him with a raised eyebrow.

What's his problem? I mentally shrug it off and start shaking my head to the beat of 'Night Changes' by One Direction.

I know, my music interests are all over the place.

Time continues to pass as I let the music take my mind off the fact my stomach was trying to commit suicide from being neglected for so long. Okay maybe I was being a bit dramatic, but I felt like I was dying.

Just as I began to mentally plan my funeral and tombstone that would indefinitely read, "here lies the girl who died from not eating after two hours", we came to a stop. A large building lit up the van windows, and of course I made it my life's mission to be the first one to run inside.

A variety of different smells hit me at once, all equally delicious, until Greyson trails in behind me. Then all I could focus on was his annoyingly intoxicating scent, mixed with the warmth of his body as he stood incredibly close behind me.

Moments later a hostess seats us in a large secluded section, then hands everyone a menu for drinks. All the men slowly file into their seats as she announces our server will be with us shortly.

Small conversation started up between everyone as my mind starts to wander off once Greyson and Michael sit down in our separate booth.

I started to think about this new life I found myself apart of, about what it really meant for me to be here. Then my mind wandered to the man beside me, about his life, his wants, hopes and dreams. More so, his family. I hadn't even met them before..

Maybe he's ashamed his mate's human.

No! I will not start this pity party right now or at all for the matter.

"Valerie, what do you want to drink?" Greyson asks bringing me back to reality.

"Pink lemonade." I say instantly shutting my menu and running my fingers through my hair in a frustrated manner.

"Do you want to come with me to fill your plate?"
Michael and the guards had already wandered from our area towards the never ending buffet in the middle of the restaurant. Greyson was the only one left as he soothingly brushed a strand of hair behind my ear while watching me tentatively.

"Oh, I'm okay. I'll wait for the drinks to come back." I wanted to go after him, but a heavy feeling kept me rooted in my seat as he walked away. Besides my negative subconscious I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong.

"Pink lemonade for you, right?" A heavy hand finds it's way to my shoulder making my head snap to the right side instantly. There he was, the man claiming me as his rightful bride since birth.

Darren.

"Are you posing as a server just to follow me?!" I blanch and he rolls his eyes while taking the seat beside me.

"It seems you've forgotten our deal. You're getting rather cozy with the enemy, love." He says condescendingly and I glare.

"Piss off." I say through gritted teeth and he gives me a forced smile.

"Now that's no way to talk to your future husband, is it?" He was wearing a cocky expression and I wished more than anything I could wipe it off his features. Opting for a better option, I turn away from him simply stirring my lemonade and ignoring his presence.

"You've got a couple weeks to make things right between us, Valerie. You don't want to see me angry-."

"Leave me alone, Darren." He suddenly stills beside me before standing to his feet, the noise of him grinding his teeth audible.

"Enjoy the drinks." He takes that as his cue to leave. Once he's gone I push my drink away, feeling a headache come on. Despite him leaving there was still a pit in my stomach, growing stronger the longer I stared at Greyson's drink.

I may have seemed crazy, and maybe I was as I sifted through each of the three beverages. I wasn't exactly sure what I expected to find, but something was off, and my gut was proven correct when I looked into Greyson's.

Beneath the lemons in his drink, I noticed a small almost non-existent purple flower floating in his water.

Did Darren drug his drink?

I carefully sniff above his glass only to feel lightheaded and weak after. My vision was fuzzy, and I didn't think twice to grab his drink and chuck it out one of the back exits while walking outside.

My head was pounding and my stomach was doing flips once I slowly made my way to sit on the curb next to the buffet. I couldn't go back inside yet, I had this heavy feeling in my chest that if I did someone would know something wasn't right. Werewolves apparently have a knack for reading people.

Maybe they could smell if you were a liar? Dear Goddess I was going to be in so much trouble if that was the case. I had a terrible habit of stealing people's stuff if it was soft and pinning it on someone else, but I can't help it!

"Valerie, you okay?" I look over my shoulder to see Michael walking outside with a concerned expression and I nod.

"Uh yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I say while standing up. The action made my head pound a bit harder but I force it down.

"I don't know. You just seem.. uneasy." What did I say? They were good at reading people.

"Of course, I-." My words begin to die out and everything starts to feel heavy around me. I knew at this point my headache was going to result in a dizzy spell, or me fainting rather unattractively. While I stilled and waited for the latter with my eyes closed, I stopped swaying because I was pulled into a firm side hug.

"You don't have to lie, Val. We'll take care of you." Michael says reassuringly while guiding me towards the doors.

Tell him we can handle ourselves. Especially with an entitled, self absorbed drama kind like Darre-. The little voice in my head is cut off the moment Michael guides me towards the restaurant.

The Valerie Perez doesn't admit to defeat so easily, but I was petrified to say anything about Darren, scared of what could happen. Could the fuss my body was making simply be signs of hunger, or was the meaning much more sinister, starting with the sickening feeling the flower in Greysons drink gave me. I knew something needed to be done, but I didn't know what or where to start.

I was lost in thought as Michael had shown me towards the array of food and after having filled my plate, I silently walked back alone to my seat.

I turn to look at Michael but Greyson's big head is in the way and he's shriveling his nose in disgust.

"You reek of Michael." Greyson says in distaste and sniffs closer to me then jerks away growling.

"Where were you two?" Greyson asks accusingly and I groan.

He thinks we mated? Seriously? I could've choked simply thinking of what he was insinuating.

"Greyson, if we did anything, you'd know my scent changed." I say in a hushed tone and Greyson glares at me.

"Did you not hear me? You reek of him." Greyson bites out.

"How could I ever? Besides," I lean in impossibly close, taking note of the way he seemed to stop breathing and his skin radiated heat the closer I inched my lips towards his ear.

"If you'd rather me wear your scent you would've done something by now, as you've claimed so many times before, right Alpha?." I pull away with a smirk as a low growl leaves his lips, turning my attention to my food.

"So..." Michael awkwardly nods his head while tapping against the table trying to break up the atmosphere, but it isn't needed.

"Valerie?!" Squealing dissolves the tension on Greyson's end, but his attention is immediately drawn to the two girls bounding towards me.

Maybe it was instinct or unsureness of who they were, but Greyson instantly blocks me from their vision so I have to fight to stand beside him.

"Um, who's this Valerie?" Megan asks skeptically. After my mom left and Apollo wasn't around, I met Alexis and Megan, my only friends.

Since everything happened the first night of meeting Greyson I hadn't seen or heard from them. I could only imagine what was going on in their heads.

"My cousin."

"I'm her boyfriend." Greyson quickly intercepts and I watch him pointedly.

"He's my cousin." I bite out again trying to convince Greyson to agree, but since when does he listen to me?

"Boyfriend." Greyson says again looking at me challengingly while Megan and Alexis look confused.

"So... you're dating your cousin?" Megan asks a frown on her face and Alexis looks at Greyson dreamily and I roll my eyes. She's ridiculous.

"Sorry, we joke around sometimes, he's just a friend." I turn my attention away from Greyson and back to my friends.

"Then you wouldn't mind me asking how's Tanner?" Megan sends a challenging look at Greyson, and I knew he would've been all too willing to set the record straight but I quickly interject.

"We just weren't working out, I'm sorry I've had so much going on recently I haven't been able to tell either of you." I send an apologetic look only to be met by a stunned expression, but she only nods and gives me a long hug.

"Take care, Val. Call us if you need anything. We love you." Megan sends a final look towards Greyson before pulling away as Alexis gives me a hug and leaves as quick as they came.

"Let's go."

***

Author's Note:

Summer Break is finally here! School is out and I'm off for three months. Yas! So, I decree this to be, the first, UPDATE OF THE SUMMER!!! With many more to come of course ;) .

Until next time lovelies :)

Read.Comment.Vote.Follow
1434everr

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 185 62
What does it take to turn a once cheerful, happy girl into a ruthless, cold hearted women? Is it time? Or the people around you that make you suffer...
641 76 34
What can you do when the love of your life is a man? You feel the pull when you look deep in his eyes but what about others? Being raised as a common...
31.8K 1K 35
"Are you stalking me?" His deep voice asked. "You wish, that would mean I actually thought about you enough to wonder where you are." I looked away...
276K 6.6K 25
What happens when your in the World's greatest pack but your the lowest? Sasha has been greatly misunderstood. On the outside, she may seem like a co...