Playing By The Rules

*Edited: February 28th, 2022

Chapter 13: Playing By The Rules.

{Valerie}

"Valerie, wake up." A soft voice paired with a light shake to my shoulders made me groan.

"Go away." I whine then push my face into the pillows while covering myself whole with the blankets.

"Greyson's requesting your presence, the council is here and would very much like to see you." I went silent for a few moments before opening one eye and peaking at Raven.

"Right now?" She nods.

"I'll be ready in ten." I hear the door of Greyson's room shut making me sigh as I stretch. I was prepared to make the walk to my room for clothes when I noticed an outfit already made at the foot of the bed. It consisted of a sleeveless red summer dress and simple white sandals.

My morning routine took no time at all and as promised, I was meeting Raven in the hall, dressed and ready within ten minutes.

"Valerie the council may act a little.. funny towards you." Her words made me frown as she watched me with a troubled look.

"Is it because I'm human?" She sighs deeply while scratching at her wrist.

"Your pa- Oh, yeah! Yes, it's because you're human." Her response was quick but she immediately clears her throat as if she was nervous.

"Because you're human they might act weird, but don't mind them. They'll warm up to you in no time." She suddenly stops in front of a door that's labeled in big bold letters.

Alpha Anderson

"Just try not to get too nervous, show them how strong you are." She gives me an encouraging squeeze to my shoulder as I take in the office door confused. Raven was fidgeting from one foot to the other then reached for the door.

"Remember, nervous is bad, confidence good." She gives me an over exaggerated smile hoping for me to follow, then she shoves me inside, an awkward smile still on my lips as she closes the door.

There sat five people. Greyson at the head of the table, Crystal in the corner of the room, and three unknown individuals at the opposite end. Once the door clicked behind me, each set of eyes had different emotions flowing through each of them.

Crystal's glassy blues were glowering at me, but she didn't make a move to regard me in any way other than putting her nose up at me. Greyson's soft gaze took me in intently before patting the seat next to him.

"Why don't you come take a seat?" I oblige and make my way beside him. Once I was settled looks of excitement, disbelief, and utter distaste awaited me at the table. Three middle aged people sat before me, two were men, and between them sat a woman.

"These are the head of council. Nila," She was the look of excitement. Tanned skin glowed back at me, and despite the small crows feet that showed her age, her features were all equally striking. Her face was adorned with hazel eyes, perfect brows and her lips were painted in vibrant red. As for her hair, it was pulled back into a slick peppered bun with small curls peaking out.

"Roe," The look of disbelief. A cute mop of ginger frizzy curls sat atop his head, a deep set of dimples and smile lines were carved into his cheeks. Green eyes regarded me politely as he flashed a pearly white smile.

"And Cadenth." The distaste. Jet black hair was slicked back to perfection, without a single piece out of line. Equally dark eyes watched my every move, accompanied by a sneer showing yellowed teeth and a dark brow raised my way.