| INTIMACY | - HPxTMR

By XStrawberryJams

● Word Count: 175k ● ◇ Ever since he was young, Harry had been fascinated with the Emperor, the founder of th... More

Prologue [Deviation]
Chapter 1 [A Choice]
Chapter 2 [Harry's Selection]
Chapter 3 [First Impressions]
Chapter 4 [The Beginning]
Chapter 5 [First Meeting]
Chapter 6 [Declaration]
Chapter 7 [Break]
Chapter 8 [Uncle]
Chapter 9 [Grief]
Chapter 10 [Penny]
Chapter 11 [Dolphin]
Chapter 12 [Consorts]
Chapter 13 [All Hallow's Eve]
Chapter 14 [End of 1997]
Chapter 15 [Rising]
Chapter 17- [Refusal]
Chapter 18 [The Beginning]
Chapter 19 [One and Eighteen]
Side: [Harry, Draco and Dahlia]
Chapter 20- [Ambition]
Side 3- [Daphne]
Chapter 21- [Promotion]
Chapter 22- [Official]
Side 4- [Luna]
Chapter 23- [Breaking Point]
Chapter 24: [Ego]
Side 5 - [Harry]
Chapter 25 - [Fondness]
Chapter 26- [Australia- Part 1]
Chapter 27- [Australia: 2]
Chapter 28: [End of 1998]
Chapter 29: [Two's Company]
Chapter 30: [Three's a Crowd]
Chapter 31: [Shifting Power]
Chapter 32: [The Last Stretch]
Chapter 33: [Rue]
Chapter 34: [Unexpected]
Chapter 35: [Truths]
Chapter 36: [Two]
Chapter 37: [Meltdown]
Chapter 38: [The World Tour]
Chapter 39: [Conspiracy]
Chapter 40: [Baby Steps]
Chapter 41: [The Tournament]
Chapter 42: [The Last Selection]

Chapter 16 [Ceremony]

664 39 2
By XStrawberryJams

 30th January 1998

When the post owl flew through the window, whilst she was reading at breakfast, Lily dropped what she was doing and descended upon the poor creature with eagerness. It squawked and pecked at her hands, but she wasn't deterred as her eyes lit up at the sight of her son's handwriting neatly scrawled across the front of one of the letters. Setting the rest uncaringly on the table, she ripped it open eagerly, scouring its contents.

As letters to and from the Emperor's court were heavily regulated, Harry couldn't contact them as frequently as both parties would have liked, but today was a special occasion. It was her birthday, and her son had sent along a heartful letter detailing his daily tasks in the harem, his feelings about being away from them, wishing her a happy birthday [whilst calling her old], and filled with eager questions about how her pregnancy was progressing.

Lily's due date had passed a little while ago, and it was now only a matter of time before the long-awaited arrival was finally upon them, so she could barely fault her son's eagerness.

She chuckled as she read some of his well-hidden complaints about some of his fellow concubines, concealed behind false praises and sugary words, designed so that even if those who read the letters before they were sent out saw any insults within, it wouldn't be enough to take them to the concubines in question. The most mentioned was Bellatrix, who Harry didn't seem to be fond of, especially since the birth of her baby girl and the consequential change this had on her personality, and Regulus, who was surprisingly described as kind towards him, no malice detected within the words he wrote about the man.

It was lovely to hear from him, and especially to know that he wasn't having much trouble despite being in such a dangerous, cutthroat place. But Lily knew that the peace he had been experiencing could only last for so long, and hoped that her little boy was prepared for any hardship that could come his way at any moment.

It would all come out when he received his promotion, something she knew was inevitable. The small comments he had added about the Emperor's interest in him, much more than was average, was as concerning as it was elating to hear.

=====================================

2nd February 1998- Monday

The dreaded day, or greatly anticipated by some, was upon them with the coming of the first day of the month. Ranking day. It had been moved a day later since Bellatrix hadn't wanted to hold a meeting on Sunday, or possibly so that she could pretend she held the upmost, unrivalled power in the harem, officially, for a little while longer.

Today, Harry surmised, would be one of upheaval for their placements within the Harem, with Penny becoming a Consort officially, and the repercussions for Erin if his Majesty was feeling crossed enough.

Despite Harry's heartfelt sympathies for her, there was the situation that she still left her pregnancy unreported, and therefore put both herself and the life of her baby in danger, which had led to this unfortunate circumstance. There had been the week mourning, and he had worn black as was expected and kept to all of the regulations as was decreed, but yet there was a faint feeling in the air that many did not treat this as they had when Jasmine had lost her baby.

After sitting in his seat, now in between Secondary Noble Cordelia and Noble Erin, he settled down to watch the usual procession of dramatics from Bellatrix and her followers, sans her baby for once, who she had realised was now bringing her less awe and jealousy and more annoyance from her fellow concubines. Children were not something to be paraded in such a way, despite their royal status and the benefits they brought to their parent.

Bellatrix began the meeting as usual, greeting them, expecting a formal one back, and then talking about whatever passed her mind until she finally decided to open the scroll at her side, much to his aching legs' relief. "I will begin with the changes his Majesty has made to the rankings. Please remember to note that any movement within the mentioned rank will also affect your own rankings, so take this into account and remember your new rank before the next meeting so that you do not sit in the wrong place. Noble Witt." Bellatrix stared down at the woman, who surprisingly didn't back down despite the glare that was being sent towards her. "His Majesty has generously declared that a miscarriage is far more enough punishment for the mistake you committed, for not announcing your pregnancy to even his Majesty, who was intelligent enough to deduce it on his own. His Majesty was so happy that you were pregnant, that he decided not to confront you with it, and instead wait until you told him. Yet, you betrayed that goodwill by not informing anyone even after that grace period of three months. Therefore, his Majesty simply declares that you are to reflect on this and that he is deeply saddened by this loss you have experienced."

"I will ensure to do so." Her voice was hoarse but firm as she stared into Bellatrix's eyes with her own bloodshot ones, gaze unwavering despite the scorn sent towards her. Bellatrix broke their staring competition before it could even become one, meanly dismissing her fellow concubine despite the feelings she had just dragged up.

"However, there is still the case that he moved you further up in the ranks due to this pregnancy, therefore, as should be expected, you are to resume the position of Seventh Noble. Noble Rosenburg is therefore reinstated as Primary Noble, and the rest of you will shift ranks accordingly." Here, she looked towards him and the rest of the Noble's, ignoring the shocked stare of Erin, and her slightly watery eyes. "His Majesty had been considering allowing you to remain within your rank, however, with further consideration and consultation with myself and his advisors, he concluded that this would be unfair to the rest of his harem." Despite the choked noise Erin made, she looked back to her scroll.

Harry...felt conflicted. This would make him the Third Noble, and it also followed previous protocol, however, it was rather harsh to demote someone because they had suffered.

Bellatrix's lips pursed as if she had eaten something incredibly sour, hesitating to read whatever was written next. "His-" She cleared her throat, expression darkening. "His Majesty declares that Concubine Haywood is to ascend to the rank of Consort, due to the birth of their third child together, and her ascension ceremony is to be held within the next few days. She is to be known henceforth as Her Highness, Secondary Consort Haywood."

The hall burst into a cacophony of put-on happiness and calls of congratulations.

"Congratulations, Consort Haywood!"

"Congratulations, Sister!"

"Oh, what an honour!"

The rest of the concubines tittered as the woman preened regally under their attention, her usually genial and soft expression twisted with smugness.

Harry gave his own congratulations from his place, the space of three seats in between them drowning it out under the noise of the rest of the room.

By his side, Cordelia looked mutinous, and looking around, many others also had twisted expressions that weren't even veiled. Isla, her role as the Secondary Consort being usurped without prior warning, looked seconds away from tears. Rakepick, Snyde, Nott, Rosier, and, shocking him to his core, Dahlia too, was staring at Penny with hatred in their eyes.

The twisted look of utter derision on her face, directed towards a woman who was supposed to be a sister to her, clicked something in Harry's mind, and the realisation hurt.

This was no longer his childhood friend, tiny and oh-so-adorable, but an Emperor's concubine.

Looking away from the sight, Harry concentrated his vision once more on the smiling, happy form of the new Consort, plastering his own smile onto his face, but he was anything but focused on the sight.

==========================

6th February 1998

In the early hours of the morning, Harry was unfortunately wide awake, being pulled and pushed about by several of his maids as they got him ready for the day.

Which was, of course, the day of the first-ever ascension ceremony he would attend. In a few hours' time, Penny would formally be recognised as the Secondary Consort of the Emperor, and would be only a step away from claiming the title of the most powerful concubine of the Harem.

She already held the favour of the Emperor, the awe of many of her fellow concubines, and the support of many in the face of her having a son and two daughters to her name.

She was, to Harry, a tentative friend, and a bitter rival, a wall that he would have to overcome on his way to the top. Not that she would be seeing him as such, at the moment- she had all he didn't, after all. Status with their fellow concubines, seniority and children, the most important factors.

He wondered, how did the Emperor's favour of him contend with hers? On paper, there was no question, however, in more recent weeks, Harry had been spending more and more time with the Emperor, and Penny had only regained his full attention with the recent birth of her daughter.

Harry digressed, however, that currently, she was no threat to him, and he not to her. So, they were sort-of friends.

A harsh tug to his hair made him grunt, and Amari immediately apologised, which he waved off. They were all excited and eager to dress him up for such a big occasion, one where he was allowed to dress up in his finest clothes with no repercussions- within the allowance of his status, however.

Finally, it was time for him to leave, and, half asleep, he climbed into the sedan that would take him to the Hall of Ascension, one which he hadn't been permitted to enter before. It was lavish and huge, an elegant display of wealth with its Grecian pillars and fine marble work, the flowers surrounding it brightening the dull, winter day.

The inside was even more beautiful, with artworks depicting the great war and the ascension of the Emperor to his position lining the hallway walls, and the main hall was even more stunning- painted ceilings and decorated pillars holding it stable.

Already present were many of the lower-ranked concubines- all the Attendants and his fellow nobles, and Concubine Felix. He noticed how the Attendants were seated on floor level, whilst the Nobles and Felix were sat on a raised platform. There were several more platforms- three chairs on the next, obviously for the three Consorts- and on the top one sat the Emperor's throne, who would be able to survey the crowd from that position. The throne was empty for the time being, but he knew it wouldn't be that way for long. It brought Harry back to the memories of the second time he had lain eyes on the Emperor, all those years ago when he was still naive and filled with fanciful ideas.

He was led to his position by Anya, the only maid of his allowed inside the hall, which was on the first dias amongst the other Nobles and Concubines. He sat in between Cordelia and Jasmine, smoothing out his robes as they scrunched under his legs, and turned to the left when Cordelia cleared her throat.

"Noble Potter-Black, how are you today?"

One of his eyebrows twitched in surprise. Was she being cordial?

"I am well, Noble Rosenburg. And you?"

She searched his face for a few moments, a slight frown wrinkling her forehead. "I'm not pleased, but in a general sense, yes. Sister Penny, as much as I am loathed to say it, deserves this promotion, for fulfilling her role to his Majesty in a way only one other has so far. And she's no longer here to compete."

Harry nodded, feeling a little awkward about having such a conversation when they were surrounded by so many listening ears. "Yes, she does, having given his Majesty three Royal children-"

"A boy, especially. But her daughters will be useful once they're of marriageable age." She interrupted, smiling still despite the blase way she was talking about children, especially since she had a daughter herself. "I hope to have a boy one day, as well. His Majesty only has four."

He hummed, but luckily the uncomfortable conversation was cut short as the Emperor stepped into the room, followed at the heels by Bellatrix, Isla and the remaining Concubines. He looked as handsome as ever, dressed in black and dark green robes that shimmered in the bright light of the chandeliers, his red eyes piercing and filled with a myriad of emotions.

He gazed upon his concubines, blank expression not twitching even as they stood and bowed, greeting him. "We greet his Majesty, the Emperor." He stepped forward, followed by his Consorts and Concubines, and settled into his throne without fanfare.

"Thank you all for gathering here so promptly, to watch as your fellow Sister is promoted due to her services to myself and the Empire." His voice was husky, lip twitching as he found amusement in his words. "You may be seated. It is scheduled to begin soon."

Only a few, mere minutes later, the doors of the hall opened, and in swarmed Eunuchs and maids carrying banners and ribbons of yellows and greens, marching in unison in a revelry of colours. Behind them, on an open sedan, sat Penny.

She looked beautiful in her citrine yellow ceremonial robes, the brightness of her whole outfit lighting up her already exuberant expression, practically shining with happiness. He watched in awe as she elegantly stepped down from the sedan and knelt on the marble floor, her head bowed in deference to the Emperor, who was watching her in entertainment.

"I greet His Majesty, the Supreme Emperor of the Slytherin Dynasty. May His Reign last forever more, immortalised both in Body and in Mind."

The Emperor straightened himself, looking imposing and powerful on top of his gilded throne, so out of reach that Harry was almost breathless with the realisation that this, this man, was his husband.

"Penny Haywood, Daughter of the Haywood Family, concubine of mine for nearly a decade now, Mother to three of my Imperial children, including two Princess' and one Prince, an heir to my throne. You have served me loyally for all this time, fulfilling your role as was expected, and even more so than that. With this edict, accepting the responsibility this role contains, I formally proclaim you; Her Highness, Secondary Consort Slytherin-Haywood."

Penny, who was still knelt on the floor, raised her head, tears of happiness shining in her eyes. "I am eternally grateful to Your Majesty for the position you have bestowed upon me, and endeavour to uphold your wishes for my role as long as I hold it." She stood then, raising her head high, and they followed suit, bowing as she clambered each dias until she sat on the only chair left open, to the right of Bellatrix.

"We greet Her Highness, Secondary Consort Slytherin-Haywood. May her time as a Consort be a prosperous one." The chorused, heads still bowed in her direction, apart from Bellatrx and Isla, who stared at her head-on.

She smiled sweetly, chirping out a: "Thank you, Brothers, Sisters, for your congratulations. Please, be seated.", still acting as lovely and genial as she had whilst being a Concubine.

To his side, Cordelia scoffed as she sat, and even Jasmine grumbled at her cheer, the unanimous feeling in the harem one of grudging acceptance of the situation.

The gathering afterwards was a grand affair, formal to the point of it being stifling. There weren't many people other than him and his fellow concubines in attendance, but the presence of the Emperor caused a stir, each concubine raving at the presence of the man that could grant them unimaginable power.

Penny was sitting next to the man, the three Consort's chairs having been moved to the higher dias after the formal event was over at the request of the Emperor. They were having an intense conversation from the looks of it, the newly named Consort leaning into him conspiratorially, whispering something into his ear that made his lips twitch up into a mocking smile.

Bellatrix was fuming in her chair to the right of the Emperor, studiously ignored by the man despite the grip she had on his arm as if she could physically pull his attention away from the woman who held it.

And Isla, for all that she was usually a calm, but cold figure by the Emperor's side, now sat to the side of Bellatrix, her spot on the left of the Emperor now filled by the new Secondary Consort. And she looked furious.

He didn't doubt that this was the start of a new group in the Harem, which had previously been unanimously split down the middle between those supporting Bellatrix for the most part, and those hiding behind Isla from the reign of terror that was the Primary Consort. Now, however, there was a third option.

Sweet, neutral Penny, favoured by the Emperor, mother to a Prince and two Princesses', and only a single step away from taking Bellatrix's metaphorical crown. In all honesty, it was tempting to swear allegiance to the woman, as she would surely continue to grow, unlike the other two who were stagnated by age and unwilling to bend to new ideals.

However, he would not allow himself to be controlled like that. It was his goal, after all, to become a leader of such a group himself, and it would be detrimental in the future having to leave Penny's to do so.

Whilst heading for the appetiser table, Harry overheard a hushed conversation between Rakepick and Snyde, who had their heads bowed together, hovering suspiciously in the corner.

"Since it's only been ten days since she gave birth to the Princess, His Majesty has reportedly declined to spend the night with her, as is traditionally done." Rakepick snickered meanly into her hand, and Harry's eyes widened.

"Or perhaps, she has irritated him in some way. Who knows? But it seems that Sister Isla is eager to capitalise on that."

"Won't it just be so poetic if she also falls pregnant?"

They cackled with each other, sounding like the evil witches he had heard Muggles stereotyped them as.

Harry didn't like to admit it, but the knowledge that the Emperor wasn't going to be spending the night with Penny was relieving to him. She had enough power for now that it was doubtful he'd be able to call her an equal any time soon, and yet another pregnancy, no matter the unlikeliness of that happening, would ruin any chance he had.

He watched her interaction with the Emperor with jealous and anxious eyes.

==========================

9th February 1998

"Master! Master Harry, a letter from your mother has come!"

Harry dropped his lumpy, misshapen, knitted monstrosity as June rushed into the room, his stand-in primary maid for the day as both Anya and Kia were busy on the opposite side of the Court, haggling for better materials to make his robes with, and Tabitha was helping out in the garden.

He tore open the letter with eagerness. He had a feeling he knew what it was going to contain- he had already received his usual monthly letter on the first, so for them to have sent a new one so soon meant the information it contained was important.

And, as expected, his day was brightened by what it contained.

In the early hours of the morning, his mother had given birth to a baby girl, named Florence. She was healthy, lively, and a little bundle of joy with beautiful red hair and bright, baby-blue eyes. Included with the letter was a moving photo of his mum holding his little sister, and he melted at the sight of her.

She was as sweet and cherubic as had been described, her hair a shock of colour on top of her head, perfectly matching their mums. She was beautiful, and Harry adored her at first sight.

He looked up, wanting the precious photo to be framed and placed in a position of pride, however, there was only one maid in the room with him, as June had wandered off whilst he was reading the letter. "Orla, please can you frame this for me? Place it on the mantelpiece."

The woman turned from her place organising his books, her dark eyes sparkling. "Of course, Master."

Hesitantly, he handed it over, pulling himself away. He had other things to do today, and he had to learn to trust his newer maids with personal jobs at some point, otherwise, he'd never gain a relationship with them.

=========================

A dramatic gasp from the living room had him rushing towards the noise, alert for any indication that there was danger. The sight that met him instead, however, broke his heart.

There, in the fireplace, was the slowly smouldering photo of his baby sister, Orla sitting in front of it with a rod, poking it hesitantly as if she was attempting to retrieve it. Her guilty face further upset him, and with one last blurry look at the photo, he turned on his heel and stormed up the stairs.

Anya rushed after him, hot on his heels. She had arrived only minutes earlier, and they had been in the front room, discussing the materials she had managed to acquire before the noise had disturbed them. "Master-"

Without turning his head, he spoke to her in a stilted tone. "Contact my family and ask for another one. Tell them that there was an accident."

"That was no accid-"

He closed the door on her before she finished her sentence.

===========================

Word Count: 3.7k

Last Updated: 01/02/23

Also, this is an updated version of all previous and current members of the Emperor's Harem: [][][] Means child of that ^ member 

CONSORTS
-Bellatrix Slytherin-Black - Primary Consort - 46 [1951] - Palace of Univeral Desire
[][][]-Delphina Slytherin - 12th Princess - 0 [1997]
-Penny Slytherin-Haywood - Secondary Consort - 25 [1972]- Moves to Palace of Infinite Purity
[][][]-Aurelia Slytherin - 9th Princess - 4 [1993]
[][][]-Rastus Slytherin - 4th Prince - 1 [1996]
[][][]-Cecilia Slytherin - 13th Princess - 0 [1998]
-Isla Slytherin-Laurier - 3rd Consort - 33 [1964]- Palace of Eternal Spring
[][][]-Silas Slytherin - 2nd Prince - 5 [1992]
===============================
CONCUBINES
-Alecto Slytherin-Carrow - Primary Concubine - 35 [1962]- Palace of Charmful Grace
[][][]-Flora Slytherin - 5th Princess - 12 [1985]
[][][]-Hestia Slytherin - 6th Princess - 12 [1985]
-Regulus Slytherin-Black - Secondary Concubine - 36 [1961]- Palace of Alluring Grace
[][][]-Carina Slytherin - 3rd Princess - 13 [1984]
-Felix Slytherin-Rosier - 3rd Concubine - 29 [1968]- Palace of Beginning Auspiciousness
[][][]-Elias Slytherin - 3rd Prince - 3 [1994]
-Patricia Slytherin-Rakepick - 4th Concubine - 42 [1955]- Palace of Great Brilliance
[][][]-Daniella Slytherin - Previous 2nd Princess - 0 [1982-1983]
=============================
NOBLES- Reside in either the Palace of Noble Beauty [Female] or Palace of Noble Handsomeness [male]
-Cordelia Rosenburg - Primary Noble - 33 [1964]
[][][]-Odelia Slytherin - 7th Princess - 12 [1985]
-Pippa Macmillan - Secondary Noble - 25 [1972] - Revealed to be pregnant
-Harry Potter-Black - 3rd Noble - 17 [1980]
-Emma Vanity - 4th Noble - 39 [1958]
[][][]-Sylvania Slytherin - 2nd Princess - 14 [1983]
-Jasmine Lafington - 5th Noble - 31 [1966]

-Cedric Diggory - 6th Noble - 20 [1977]

-Erin Witt - 7th Noble - 34 [1963]
[][][]-Serina Slytherin - 10th Princess - 4 [1993]

========================
FIRST-CLASS ATTENDANTS- Reside within either Palace of Gathered Beauty or Gathered Handsomeness
-Dahlia Maloy - Primary FCA - 16 [1981]
-Daphne Greengrass - Secondary FCA - 18 [1979]
-Lukas Erikson - 3rd FCA - 23 [1974]
[][][]-Aloisa Slytherin - 11th Princess - 2 [1995]
-Luna Lovegood - 4th FCA - 16-17 [1981]
-Theodore Nott - 5th FCA - 18 [1980]
-Zacharias Smith - 6th FCA - 17 [1980]
=========================
SECOND-CLASS ATTENDANTS- Same Palaces as FCA
-Penelope Clearwater - Primary SCA - 22 [1975]
-Victoria Brennan - Secondary SCA - 25 [1972]
-Adrian Pucey - 3rd SCA - 20 [1977]
-Cassius Warrington - 4th SCA - 20 [1977]
-Merula Snyde - 5th SCA - 25 [1973]
=================================
PAST HAREM MEMBERS/PARENTS OF ROYAL CHILDREN

Evangeline - Primary Noble Consort - 30 [1960-1990]
[][][]-Evana Slytherin - 1st Princess - 17 [1980]
[][][]-Viviana Slytherin - 4th Princess - 13 [1984]
[][][]-Alexus Slytherin - 1st Prince - 7 [1990]
Emily Tyler- SCA - 27 [1963-1990]
[][][]-Amelia Slytherin - 8th Princess - 7 [1990]
Unknown Maid- [?-?]
[][][]-Jacinda - Previous 8th Princess - 0 [1987-1987]
Maya- SCA - 25 [1958-1983]
Archie Severn - Noble - 22 [1964-1986]
Jane Court- SCA - 29 [1961-1990]
Angelina Cole- FCA - 22 [1967-1989]
======================================
Birthdays-
30th Jan- Lily [38]
4th Feb- Merula S [25]

Thanks for reading ^-^- Jam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 43 9
Just some fanfic and oneshots of the Marauders! Hope you enjoy, and please leave comments and constructive feedback! [All characters belong to JK Row...
116K 2.7K 30
***in editing*** ***sequel in progress*** you were James potter's little sister only there's one problem, you're a Slytherin and he's a Gryffindor. w...
121K 2.9K 30
She's a third year griffindor and best friends with lily Evans. But one night changes everything, As she disappeared in to the darkness, no one kn...
12.4K 217 27
It all started in Harry's 5th year he saw her at headquarters for the order, well more like crashed in the middle of a meeting. Nobody knew where she...