Goals Off Court | SatoSere

By amourology_

When the top basketball player Ash Ketchum and his team damage the school property by mistake, he's the one w... More

Aesthetics.
Chapter 1 - Probation
Chapter 2 - Coincidental Meeting
Chapter 3 - First Lesson
Chapter 4 - Far From Done
Chapter 5 - Only Time Could Tell
Chapter 6 - Progress
Chapter 7 - Challenge
Chapter 8 - Denial
Chapter 9 - Proving Himself
Chapter 10 - Distant Thoughts
Chapter 11 - Heated Dance
Chapter 12 - Farther Than Closer
Chapter 13 - All It Takes
Chapter 14 - Paired Lesson
Chapter 15 - Conflicted Feelings
Chapter 16 - Game Of Denial
Chapter 17 - Mesmerizing Sight
Chapter 18 - Only You
Chapter 19 - Forbidden Desires
Chapter 20 - Temptation
Chapter 21 - Honesty
Chapter 22 - Final Lesson
Chapter 23 - One Text Away
Chapter 24 - Apologetic Mind
Chapter 25 - Lost Chance
Chapter 26 - Starting From Zero
Chapter 28 - Kept Promise
Chapter 29 - Into Uncertainty
Chapter 30 - Deeper Meaning
Chapter 31 - Back On The Floor
Chapter 32 - Inevitable Feeling
Chapter 33 - Light Up My World
Chapter 34 - Not So Friendly Fire
Chapter 35 - Connection At Home
Chapter 36 - Out Of Our Control
Chapter 37 - Struggling Feelings
Chapter 38 - Ballroom Tension
Chapter 39 - Drunken Intimacy
Chapter 40 - Departing Together
Chapter 41 - Advice Night
Chapter 42 - Kissable Tango
Chapter 43 - Complex Love
Chapter 44 - Extra Lessons
Chapter 45 - Unexpected Growth
Chapter 46 - Distraction Injury
Chapter 47 - Tasteful Gift
Chapter 48 - Dinner With Friends
Chapter 49 - The Invitational Practice
Chapter 50 - The Decision
Chapter 51 - Dancing In The Sheets (18+)
Chapter 52 - Healing & Improvement
Chapter 53 - Music On The Piano (18+)
Chapter 54 - Dreams To Reach
Chapter 55 - Conflicting Goals
Chapter 56 - Secrets Unfold
Chapter 57 - Two Opportunities
Chapter 58 - Deeper Feelings
Chapter 59 - Win & Arrive
Chapter 60 - Goals Off Court
Acknowledgement

Chapter 27 - Closer Than Strangers

210 9 2
By amourology_

Outside was a cold and rainy night. Rain was heard from the inside, while Serena was surrounded by her dark room, the only light was the reflection of her laptop screen. She wore her night time pajamas as she sat cross-legged on her light pink and white bed sheets, cell phone in the other hand.

"Can't we watch a horror movie or action? Something less—"

"Feminine?" She interrupted.

"I was going to say romantic, but that too, I guess."

Starting this Friday night, Ash and Serena would watch a movie together, but over the phone because going to each other's dorms—that was only minutes away as a walk—was too complicated. It was all Serena's request, including the idea of movie night. Last week, he told her he never saw the movie she requested for them to watch—which she was severely offended by.

"Well, the answer is no. I like rom-coms. Besides, my friend, Dawn, is the one who loves horror movies. Next time, you should give her a call instead," she cooly informed him.

It was quiet on the other end, as she expected. For a second, that is, once it turned into a chuckle. "I'm sure that boyfriend of hers wouldn't enjoy that. You're setting me up to get murdered by Paul."

She found herself smiling. "Not at all. I can't have my partner dying on me, now can I?"

She heard him suck in a breath, then he breathed out as he took in the words—her partner. He liked the sound of that.

"We couldn't allow that." His voice was low, addictive. "I wouldn't want to get replaced that fast. I don't think... I could bear that."

Serena didn't reply, but instead, bit her lip at his tone. It was questioning. She didn't want to push it and realizing, she knew he wouldn't going to say anything about it, she decided to move on.

"This film is a classic. Who doesn't love a princess running away, falling in love with a Kantoian reporter while touring Kalos?"

"I'm surprised you weren't going to make me watch 'Let Us Be Free.'"

"Oh, that would have been perfect. James Rubin is quite enchanting. We're watching that next time."

"Yes, we will- Wait, hold on. There will be a next time?" Ash was let out a muffled grunt, a hand going to his hair. He was close to pulling each strand out. "Also, James Rubin was one hell of an age when he filmed. He's a bit too old for you, don't you think?"

"How did you know that small fact?"

"I just know."

He wasn't going to tell her that he had seen a lot of James Rubin films because his own mother was in love with him too. He simply refused.

"Well, maybe I could have a thing for guys older than me," Serena suggested, a bold smirk crawling on her face. "Coincidence that you're older too."

Ash paused before going on. "I'm twenty."

"And we're the same age," she noticed with amusement. "When's your birthday?"

"May twenty-second."

"Mine is October seventeen," Serena replied with a smile. "You're up by a few months. But still older."

"You have a thing for me?" Ash's tone was smooth, but lighthearted.

They should really stop this flirty banter of theirs.

She shifted uncomfortably in her bed. "I have a thing for James Rubin." Lifting her chin, she clicked play on her computer. "Now, hurry up and start the movie."

Ash grumbled unclearly on the other end. She could hear him rustling over the phone, most likely to get comfortable in his own bed. A soft chuckle slipped from her lips.

It was the small things about him that entertained her. The way he would grumble unenthusiastically whenever she would order him around—he secretly loved it though, she could tell. The widening of his eyes whenever she complimented him, whether it be his talents, or anything she mentioned out of the blue about him he wouldn't think she would observe. The unmasked part of his personality, his likes and dislikes, those small knacks of his—

Point is, she observed him. More than he knew and more than she realized. A bad habit of hers she really needs to work on.

The movie played and Ash listened to every comment Serena had made about it. He found himself fond of listening to her talk. They laughed, their banter ever so endearing. The time had grown late as Ash looked over at his clock. Half past twelve.

"I'm surprised you're still up. I'd think you would've fallen asleep by now," he remarked, but she didn't reply. "Serena?"

On cue a soft sound sounded through the phone and contentment crept over him. A smile danced on his lips as he went to hang up, but his eyes trailed back to the screen in front of him making him lose his train of thought. It was the film's ending scene. Shockingly, he paid attention to the whole movie. It was good, comedic, and romantic, of course.

Regular guy falls for the princess, the princess falls for the regular guy. A complete cliché.

What he hadn't anticipated was the male character walking out of the colosseum, losing the woman of his dreams, but his steps slowed as he wistfully remembered their adventure together. It was disheartening and he is forced to watch the man linger on in his lonely walk, knowing the woman he grew to admire will never be part of his life again.

It was heartbreak. It seemed close to reality.

He never thought a romantic comedy could be so depressing. His dorm room was dark and Gary had already texted him that he was coming in late. Ash knew it was because he was with Misty. It was hilarious. Both of them late for a girl. A situation he never thought he'd find himself in.

With that, he shut his laptop, and slumped back in his pillows. He quietly listened to her faint breathing. "Goodnight, Serena."

He hung up and was left with a pitiful silence.

The next day, the two had ventured to an art class, the teacher familiar with the two for their status in the school. She paid no mind to them coming in during their free time. Serena decided to have another lesson with Ash, showing photos of random things from her phone they would memorize and then draw on from their own from memory.

It wasn't the greatest of lessons, hard for a non artist like themselves, but in the meantime, Ash had to admit, it was fun messing with her.

Serena squinted her eyes. "What the hell is that?"

"It's the pigeon you showed me?"

"Ash, that is not the pigeon I just showed you."

They've been at it for a few hours. With each other, they sat beside one another, trying to help draw with techniques they clearly looked up. Then showing off their own skills, which was satisfactory at best.

"Serena, I'm not going to be Van Gogh or Leonardo da Vinci overnight."

"I can definitely see that," she quipped, looking at him then at his drawing with purpose.

Ash eyed her tone, heading to take his back from her and then got hers from the table, holding it up with a shit eating grin. "Yes, we can see who's not going to be Van Gogh or Leonardo da Vinci overnight."

Serena pinched her lips together, her hand sped out to snatch the paper from his hands, but like usual his reflexes knew her better. Gripping her picture, he eyed it in scrutiny.

"Wait, wait, wait." One of his arms came out to avoid her snappy fingers, as he leaned away from her, his other hand grasping the paper tightly as he pulled it closer to his face to continue inspecting it. "Is that—Is that supposed to be its wings?"

"My god, you are such an ass!"

Ash laughed as she struggled over him. He pulled the drawing behind his back, her front against his as she stood from the seat she once sat in, to reach for it. Serena was practically on his lap when he tried to lean far away, nearly falling backwards with his chair, her arms thrashing around him. They both laughed and giggled, loud and uncontrollably, forgetting where they were.

A thick throat clearing garnered their attention, both of them stilled and faced where the sound came from, it was a student at the table across from theirs who didn't have the guts to look at them. All at once, they gazed at the rest of the area, noticing that most eyes were on them.

Must have been too loud.

Ash was broken from the awkward air when Serena plucked the paper from his loosened grip. He looked back up at her, nose to nose, to see the pleasing grin coated on her face.

Her pink lips lifted into a smile and strawberries and lavender filled his nostrils, just like how she smelled that night he and her—

"Ha," she mocked, her breath fanning his face.

And just like that, she sat back in her seat comfortably, placing her 'pigeon' drawing between her books as if nothing happened, as if none of the students' eyes were upon them both. He sat up slowly; she might not feel the tension, but he definitely did.

Ignoring thoughts that lead to stirring emotions, he really wanted to enforce her studies since she told him about the stress builded on her. He cleared his throat. "We should—"

"Would you like to go to an arcade?"

Thrown off, he tilted his head at her, but she only raised her brows, leaning towards him in anticipation. He then remembered asking her if she wanted to go anywhere together. That must've been it.

He nodded, grinning. "Sure."

A delighted smile grew on her lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 4.2K 76
On the day the Pokémon Academy in the Kanto region receives a new student, normal days soon turn to dangerous ones. Serena Yvonne forever changes the...
73.2K 2.1K 19
Sequel to Heartless (Amourshipping). Serena is now back to her old self and is gaining fans and friends quickly. However, someone wants Serena and w...
9.7K 353 34
Ash Ketchum, owner of a city and the infamous ringleader of his crew that are known for their ruthless, yet cunning criminal acts. Serena Yvonne, a f...
12.3K 148 16
This is a betrayal story. I'll release the chapters once I'm done with them. So please be patient thanks.