Smile

By BabyBillieGoat

Celestia wants to leave her home and get as far away as possible from her alcoholic mother. When she stumbles... More

Authors Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
!!NEW STORY!!

14

4.1K 165 11
By BabyBillieGoat

August 20th

I've been with Kai for a total of four days; only one of those days I've been awake.

I wouldn't say it's awkward and I definitely wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable but something is off. And I know it's only me that feels this way because Kai hasn't changed. He's still sweet and bubbly and has no problem helping me with anything. The only time between now and when I first woke up that he was a little off was when he was telling me his 'beauty and the beast' like rules.

"Don't go into the room at the end of the hallway."

Was all he said and for a moment, it was like his mask was entirely gone. It was almost scary—eerie, would be a better way to put it. But right after, he awkwardly chuckled and stood up to offer me blueberry waffles.

Today, he told me he wanted to take me to the fair but decided It wasn't a good idea. He was only sad for a split second before remembering that it was going to be in town for two weeks.

"Just enough time! Right Moonie?"

And I couldn't help but smile and agree with him.

"Moonie?" I looked toward the door to see Kai's head peeking through. "Your friend is here."

My friend? My head tilted as Kai came into the room. His black long sleeved T-shirt was covered in paint and his sweatpants the same. "I only have you." I murmured, my arms going around his neck as he lifted me from the bed and helped me onto my feet.

He chuckled, his eyes sparkling. "She says she works with you. Her name is Rose. I don't know how she got my address...but she's here. For you." His hand tapped at my waist and I realized it had been there for at least two minutes.

I hummed and stumbled backward slightly. "Ok."

He helped me down the stairs and into his living room where we found Rose standing on the opposite end of the room with her back facing us. She was staring up at the painting of a woman in a white dress crying to the moon. It was a beautiful painting and Rose seemed to notice this too. She hadn't even flinched at the sound of us.

"Rose?" I spoke up. She spun around to reveal her shocked expression and paper bag in her hand. "What are you doing here?"

Rose can't hide how she feels so when she scrunched her face up and the color in here eyes began to boil, I knew she was not happy with me or my question.

"What do you mean 'what are you doing here?'! You went missing! Then Aurura tells me you're here? How would she know? Before me?! I thought you were kidnapped!" Her chest bounced as her nostrils flared and her eyes watered.

I am admittedly confused. I know Rose is a caring person and I have always appreciated her constant attempts to make me talk even when I didn't want to but I never thought it meant anything more than her trying to make her work life more bearable.

"Rose," my voice softened and her eyes flashed, her body seeming to freeze. "I'm sorry." I apologized. Even if I didn't understand why, I know she genuinely cares.

She blinked a few times, her fingers latching onto each other as she glanced at me up and down. Her tongue flicked across her lips before she cleared her throat and relaxed a bit. "...thank you for apologizing." She said softly.

I nodded and we continued to stand there for a moment. Both of us allowing the other to collect ourselves. "Would you like something to drink? Tea? Water?" Kai spoke up, both of our heads turning towards him.

Roses stare flickered between me and Kai almost as if she was trying to decide if she could trust him. Or decide why I was with him in the first place.

"Tea. Please."

He nodded and disappeared into the kitchen, leaving us alone.

"Who is he and why are you here? Do you live here?" She questioned with a soft urgency.

I shook my head and slowly stepped toward the couch. Rose sat next to me, a good space between us and her body facing me. She seemed eager to hear my response; eager to hear my explanation.

"That man is my friend. Kai. This is his house. Something happened and he offered to let me stay here until it's all resolved."

"What happened?"

I stared into her eyes to see pure worry. I know Rose can't hide how she feels but this feels different. There is so much urgency in everything she is doing. Her questions, her tone, her body language. All of it is showing me a different Rose. Almost like a passion. It's like I'm watching her worry about something she is passionate about.

"It's not important, Rose. I'm ok." My hand rested gently on top of hers. I tried my best to offer her a reassuring tone, hoping to calm some of the unruly emotion in her eyes and slow the beating of her heart because even I could hear it.

"Does he know?"

"Of course Rose, he ha-"

"Why does he get to know and I don't. I'm your friend. You just met him," her hands clasped mine as she leaned in slightly and her eyes pleaded with me to give her answers; to listen. "He's basically a stranger Cel." She whispered, her voice shivering.

Even though I have Kai and being genuinely cared for isn't an entirely new feeling, it still feels off. Especially from Rose on this level of intensity.

"I mean, you never miss work. You didn't tell anybody. You didn't tell me. Why would you even trust him?"

I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "I got hurt but he helped me. Im really ok. I...promise i won't not tell you again, ok?"

For the first time since we began talking, she breathed normally. She leaned back, her dainty fingers letting go of mine and resting again in her lap. She offered me a small nod just before Kai came in holding a tray of blue teacups and a tiny bowl in the center of it all.

"It's mint tea. I hope that's ok." He smiled up at us as he set the tray down on the coffee table.

"Thank you, Kai."

I glanced over at Rose and saw how untrusting she was of Kai and his presence which is unusual considering I thought she liked him in the beginning, but I guess since I'm basically living with him for right now, she has to learn to fully trust him.

For the next hour Kai attempted to converse with Rose and I was stuck as the mediator as Rose refused to give Kai any other response other than a nod or a 'hmm.'

It wasn't completely awkward nor was it a grueling experience. I think I learned more about Rose today than I have in the past how ever many years I've worked with her. And by the way Rose stared at me I could tell she was learning new things about me too.

"She was...nice." Kai chuckled, stuffing his hands in his paint covered pockets.

I hummed and nodded. "She liked you when I first told her about you but I guess she doesn't like the situation we are in now."

I stared up at Kai as he stared down at me with an absent smile and a questionable excitement in his eyes. "You talked about me?"

I rolled my eyes, unable to keep myself from smiling. "She saw you come in and I just told her who you were. She was shocked that I...smiled at you."

If it was even possible—which I guess it always is with Kai— his eyes and smile became blindingly brighter.

"Who wouldn't smile at you," I pinched his cheeks between my fingers as I shook his head around slightly. "You're just so adorable." I mimicked a baby voice as he laughed.

His hands held mine as he pulled them from my face. "Haha. You're so funny." His smile faded slowly as he stared down at me.

And I guess it took either of us too long to notice that his thumb was gently grazing the side of my hand and he was giving me that same unmasked look. I felt the same way I did when I first met Kai but now, instead of butterflies and a nervousness that could wreck anything in its path, it was soothing. So calming that it felt dangerous. Like it could completely devour you so entirely that you'd forget you were in danger.

And for a moment, I didn't want it to end.

But it's Kai. And I like Kai for his kind heart and sweet words. I like who Kai is now.

I pulled my hands away and to my sides. Guilt flushed my body as I saw something break in his eyes.

"You..are you ready to go to sleep?" He said softly.

I nodded and he reached for me. "I—I'll try to do it by myself this time."

His hands lingered as he stared down at me with uncertainty. "Are you sure?"

I nodded and slowly stepped around him and toward the stairs before ascending them carefully. Kai standing just behind me like a safety net if I were to fall or miss a step.

When we reached the entryway of my room we exchanged slightly awkward well wishes and sweet dreams before disappearing into each of our spaces.

Oh Kai.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

447K 10.6K 63
He loathe his wife, yet he can't take his eyes off her. He wants her gone, yet he can't seem to stay away. He wants her to suffer, yet he's overl...
40.5K 2.8K 62
Marrying a straight person isn't good at all. But falling in love with a straight person is it wrong? Having crush on him for several years is it a c...
25.6K 887 56
𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈 𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀 & 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐈𝐅𝐄! 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐇𝐑 𝐄 𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐀💞 #𝟏 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐬𝐡𝐪 𝐒𝐞...
184K 5.2K 47
He usually prefers his employees to be less...bubbly. Energetic. A little more like him, essentially. But there was something about her the moment sh...