Goals Off Court | SatoSere

By amourology_

When the top basketball player Ash Ketchum and his team damage the school property by mistake, he's the one w... More

Aesthetics.
Chapter 1 - Probation
Chapter 2 - Coincidental Meeting
Chapter 3 - First Lesson
Chapter 4 - Far From Done
Chapter 5 - Only Time Could Tell
Chapter 6 - Progress
Chapter 7 - Challenge
Chapter 8 - Denial
Chapter 9 - Proving Himself
Chapter 10 - Distant Thoughts
Chapter 11 - Heated Dance
Chapter 13 - All It Takes
Chapter 14 - Paired Lesson
Chapter 15 - Conflicted Feelings
Chapter 16 - Game Of Denial
Chapter 17 - Mesmerizing Sight
Chapter 18 - Only You
Chapter 19 - Forbidden Desires
Chapter 20 - Temptation
Chapter 21 - Honesty
Chapter 22 - Final Lesson
Chapter 23 - One Text Away
Chapter 24 - Apologetic Mind
Chapter 25 - Lost Chance
Chapter 26 - Starting From Zero
Chapter 27 - Closer Than Strangers
Chapter 28 - Kept Promise
Chapter 29 - Into Uncertainty
Chapter 30 - Deeper Meaning
Chapter 31 - Back On The Floor
Chapter 32 - Inevitable Feeling
Chapter 33 - Light Up My World
Chapter 34 - Not So Friendly Fire
Chapter 35 - Connection At Home
Chapter 36 - Out Of Our Control
Chapter 37 - Struggling Feelings
Chapter 38 - Ballroom Tension
Chapter 39 - Drunken Intimacy
Chapter 40 - Departing Together
Chapter 41 - Advice Night
Chapter 42 - Kissable Tango
Chapter 43 - Complex Love
Chapter 44 - Extra Lessons
Chapter 45 - Unexpected Growth
Chapter 46 - Distraction Injury
Chapter 47 - Tasteful Gift
Chapter 48 - Dinner With Friends
Chapter 49 - The Invitational Practice
Chapter 50 - The Decision
Chapter 51 - Dancing In The Sheets (18+)
Chapter 52 - Healing & Improvement
Chapter 53 - Music On The Piano (18+)
Chapter 54 - Dreams To Reach
Chapter 55 - Conflicting Goals
Chapter 56 - Secrets Unfold
Chapter 57 - Two Opportunities
Chapter 58 - Deeper Feelings
Chapter 59 - Win & Arrive
Chapter 60 - Goals Off Court
Acknowledgement

Chapter 12 - Farther Than Closer

201 11 2
By amourology_

Serena didn't want to see him.

Hell, if it had been up to her, she would've canceled the lessons altogether, but Professor Oak had trusted her with this task. Eventually she wanted to be a real teacher, not just some tutor for an ungrateful little...

No.

She had to try and stay calm. Though she had a feeling the moment she saw his face, she would yell at him. She'd spent the majority of her weekend trying to forget that night, but his words kept replaying in her head over and over again.

I don't like her or dancing. I just need to get her lessons over with. I don't want to deal with this mess or her again.

Was she really that bad? Was she really so stupid for thinking he was starting to enjoy dancing with her? He had called her his partner, and yet, he apparently doesn't want to deal with this or her again? He wasn't a dancer and didn't want to be. She felt like such an idiot to actually fall for it. Knowing Ash, he probably wouldn't notice her feelings at all.

There was a knock on the door, causing Serena to jump. Ash never knocked?

"Come in?" She said questionably, thrown off by the sharp sound. However, she was even more surprised to realize it was Professor Oak who had stepped into the studio. It was only a couple lessons that have passed. She assumed he only wanted to observe. "Oh, professor! Welcome."

"Ah, Serena," he greeted. "How are you? I want to thank you for taking on this task."

"I'm doing fine," she said like she was programmed to, lying through her teeth. "It's not a problem at all. It's... good practice." She turned to pick up her dance shoes, placing them on her feet. She wished she could still say it was good practice. Now it felt like a burden.

Professor Oak turned his head slowly to glance at the clock hanging above the door. "Should Ash be here soon? You mentioned in your report that his attendance arrivals have improved."

Of course.

"Yes, sir. I've been getting onto him. Few slip ups here and there, but overall, he's good." Mentally kicking herself, she wondered why the hell she even thought to defend him. He didn't care about her, nor her lessons.

"Splendid," Professor Oak nodded and leaned against the side wall. "I will be observing today, if that's fine with you. I do intend to see how things are progressing."

"No problem at all."

Yes it is a problem.

She sighed, pursing her lips. Professor Oak chose the worst possible days. If he had come last week, things would've been different. She would've confidently said to him that Ash was learning and he was doing a good job, but now, that clear wasn't the case.

"I'm here, teach!" The door slammed open and Ash who cursed the door for being so light, made his usual entrance. "Didn't mean that." He walked into the room and immediately kicked his shoes off, putting them against the wall.

"Ash, my boy, it looks like you're still as loud and energetic as ever." Professor Oak's calm eyes watched the raven haired boy walk into the room. "But you're on time. That's good."

The surprised look was noticeable on Ash's face. There was something so satisfying about the shocked expression that crawled onto his features. Serena was pleased she didn't go out her way to warn him ahead of time.

"Professor Oak?"

"I'm here to observe your progress."

"Okay, I'm doing great," he stated simply, obviously not looking towards anything that could get me in trouble again.

Serena folded her arms. "Well, why don't we show him then, just how well you're doing?"

She knew she should try and be normal. She didn't want her demeanor to come across strangely, especially in front of Professor Oak, but seeing Ash's face made her want to put him out. How can he come in here and act like nothing was wrong, like he was going to continue with things as they had been after what had been said. Even if he didn't know she heard every bit.

"'Course we should. I'll show him I'm doing amazing!" He grinned and rolled up his pants, walking to the middle of the floor. "Put on the music already!"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm the teacher. Therefore, you'll be listening to me."

"You were gonna do it anyway, right?" He asked with his eyes narrowing, but then didn't speak again as he flicked his gaze towards Professor Oak. The man hadn't moved from his position against the wall and his calm gaze stayed fixated on both of them.

"You'll do better if you let me count," she told him. "The music is faster and it might make you mess up more. If you want to show the professor that you're doing a good job, you'll let me count."

Again, why was she helping him? She was such an idiot. A sucker who had been roped in by the moments they had and parts of dancing with him she had seen glimpses of from time to time.

"Yes, ma'am," he mumbled sarcastically. "I got it."

Peering over his shoulder, she spoke to Professor Oak. "As I mentioned in my report, I've been working on teaching Ash a waltz. The timing is relaxing and it helps him focus."

Ash opened his mouth as if to protest, but immediately shut it. He obviously didn't wish to make a fool of himself at a time like this.

"Lets begin, shall we?" She said, stepping forward to take Ash's hand. His palm was sweaty, something she hadn't expected. Was he worried? He probably should've been. She started to count, taking a step back as he led her. "And one-two-three, one-two-three."

He was back to being incredibly stiff. His hand was tight against hers and the one resting against her back was trembling. His gaze peered out beyond her, staring ahead as he led her around the room awkwardly. He was obviously lost in thought, focusing on proving to Professor Oak he was actually doing a good job. As much as Serena hated to admit it, he was doing a nice job. When he actually focused and didn't get so damn tense.

"Remember to stay loose," she said, pausing her counting to offer him the critique.

"I am loose," he replied, his voice tight when not wanting Professor Oak to hear him argue.

She held her ground, trying not to start anything. "Don't argue with me. I think between the two of us, I'm the one who knows best."

He dropped his shoulder and he began to walk a bit calmer, but he'd slowed his pace from her counting. Even if it was faster, maybe music would help him move less stiffly.

"I apologize, Ash," she snapped, twisting her lips. "It seems you were right and we should try this with music." His eyes narrowed at her and he obviously heard the bite behind her words.

"I figured as much."

She pulled away from his shaky hands and made her way to her phone, clicking the button. The gentle classical violins echoed throughout the dance studio. She approached Ash yet again, and stood directly in front him.

"Don't forget your posture," she instructed. With Professor Oak watching, she wanted to be certain he understood how hard she was working with Ash; she was a good teacher. "Your arm should keep me secure, but open enough to move on my own and your shoulders should be down. It's one thing to be precise, but don't be tense."

"I get it, teach. Don't waste the whole song."

She wanted to go off right then and there. He was being such a difficult student. She kept making excuses, wanting to prove he was good, that she was doing a good job teaching him. Even though she wasn't perfect and he was too much, they were still getting somewhere. Apparently, she was wrong.

"Fine," she hissed. "You start then, since you know how to do this. You can show Professor Oak how talented you are."

His eyes narrowed and he would've been an idiot to not notice something was up with her. Serena simply raised her eyebrow expectantly.

"It would be my pleasure, Serena." Venom in the tone of his voice, he pulled her close, her body now flush against his.

She hated how well they fit together.

That made the both of them.

He followed the count of the song and moved faster, twisting her at one point which her eyes widened at as she twirled back in. Like the time he had dipped her, she hadn't taught him these moves. They were simply things he chose to adopt on his own. She hated how much of a natural he was at this, even if he himself didn't fully realize.

With the music, he was much more relaxed, moving a little bit behind the beat, but not enough for Professor Oak to notice. She knew the man didn't have much dance experience and he wasn't looking for Ash to be good at technical things. He just wanted to see him grow and adapt onto things.

Serena internally groaned. She had hoped music might make him stumble, but instead, it made him look better than anticipated. She knew she should be happy. It meant she was doing a good job teaching him, but his words kept echoing in her head over and over.

I don't like her or dancing. I just need to get her lessons over with. I don't want to deal with this mess or her again.

Professor Oak was the reminder she needed. Ash wasn't here to actually learn and improve. He barely had any lessons after this one and he was looking to be done with it as soon as he possibly could. The song ended and Ash froze in place, striking a rather awkward pose.

A slow clap echoed from against the wall. "Impressive. Well done," Professor Oak said brightly, walking forward with a smile. "You actually did nicely, my boy. You didn't fight her much and Serena is a fantastic teacher, as expected."

"Thank you, professor," she said.

She smiled, the praise feeling warm in her chest. She had to focus on teaching. It was what she wanted to do. Share her love and her passion for dance, and not everyone would be like Ash. Most people she taught would want to be there.

"You actually seemed more calm, dancing to the music. Less rough too. You've gotten better at not being tardy and based on Clemont's report, your time management has improved as well. A side I've never seen of you, Ash." Wrinkles and all, a smile was pulled across Professor Oak's face.

"Great, so can I stop then?" Ash asked without hesitation, eyes shining with hope. "Get back on the court?"

"Excuse me?" Serena said, frowning.

"Can I stop with the lessons? I think I get the point. I was pretty calm and normal before, but I've grown," Ash stated like he was listing off things. "I've been suffering for the past few weeks. I think I get it, y'know?"

Serena's hands trembled at her sides. She had known these were his true feelings. She had tried to get over what she heard all weekend and yet he had the audacity to do this. She didn't understand why it bothered her so much. Ash, regardless of what he had said to her face at the dance, wasn't going to be her partner.

All the more reason she needed to remember she didn't want one, nor did she need one.

Professor Oak laughed aloud, his shoulders moving up and down with the motion. "Afraid not. You asking me to stop is precisely why I'm having you continue," he said with a shrug. "You'll finish out the punishment as planned. I'll see you two at the end of all this."

As he made his way out the studio, Serena immediately turned from Ash, storming over to her bag.

"Well, I tried," he pointed out, scuffing his foot against the ground. "You saw it."

She yanked her dance shoes off, shoving them into her duffel bag. "You tried?" She snapped, her blue eyes burning as her anger towards him boiled inside her chest.

"Yeah, 'course I did! To get us out of these last lessons." He huffed out an annoyed breath. "I didn't see you backing me up and now we're still here."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't help you get out of your punishment," she yelled at him, unplugging her phone from the wall aggressively.

"What the hell is your problem today, Serena?"

Serena places her phone into her bag, taking a breather. She didn't want to give in to how angry he made her, but between this lesson and the dance, she couldn't last any longer.

"My problem? My problem?" She stomped towards him, her feet pounding against the ground as she got right up in his face. "My problem is that I'm spending all this time teaching you and you don't care at all. Here I thought you were actually getting into it. You were actually putting effort in last week!"

Her breaks were hasty, ragged, and her voice was starting to fail. She hated spilling more than she wanted, she hated not having the mind to hold back once she started, she hated that Ash was the one she was dumping it all on.

"Then, at the school dance, you pulled me away from my friends and called me your partner. Seriously? Afterwards, I hear you telling your friends you just need to get me and these lessons— or in your words, this mess, over with?"

She tightened her fists closed, jaw clenching. She watched how Ash's eyes widened as he tried to speak up, but she continued.

"Now, today, you're asking Professor Oak if you can stop? It's too much- you're too much and confusing. Sounds like I'm just an idiot for thinking you were actually enjoying dancing with me. It's not my problem, it's your problem, you asshole!"

She turned around again, not wanting to hear his response. Knowing him, he'd just yell right back. Surprisingly, he changes that with the call of her name like he was trying to put words together, but it didn't work.

"That's not-" Ash pauses and makes his way towards the door with an aggravated groan. "If that's how it is, good thing we only have our few lessons left then."

"Wonderful even!" She bit back, pulling her duffel bag over her shoulder as she zipped up her jacket. "You'll never have to see me or deal with this again like you wanted."

"Sounds great, teach." He flung his arm out for emphasis, walking fast out of the studio.

Serena stood, gripping her duffel bag over her shoulder, her whole body trembling, tears threatening to fall. He was so dense. Why had she expected this whole experience to go any other way? She'd never felt so foolish.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 341 25
Ash gets betrayed by all his friend (except Gary) he isolates him self But wht if disaster and a tournament arise its a chance for ash to prove hi...
81.7K 1.5K 41
Serena Yvonne bullied Ash Ketchum. But then things changed. A lot. What will happen when they realize they used to know each other? I will allow othe...
150K 2.6K 31
Serena Yvonne is normal 16 year old high school teen who lives in Vaniville Town and she is kind, happy, beautiful and all those positive things you...
81.3K 2K 21
Ash Ketchum is an "ordinary" 18-year-old boy who has just graduated from Kanto High. Everything in his depressing world changes when he receives an...