Smile

By BabyBillieGoat

Celestia wants to leave her home and get as far away as possible from her alcoholic mother. When she stumbles... More

Authors Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
!!NEW STORY!!

7

5.1K 197 16
By BabyBillieGoat

August 13th

Just like the outside, the inside was gorgeous. It was modernly decorated with inspiration of some sort of Asian culture. I know Kai is Japanese so I'm sure that's where it comes from but I, unfortunately, don't think high school history prepared me too well for this.

"Your house is really nice, Kai." I continued to look around the extravagant family home. "You live here alone?" I glanced back at him as he stepped toward me. From his expression you could  tell that he was unamused by his house or my compliments.

"Currently, yes." He said briefly before walking past me and through an arched doorway. "What does that mean?" I followed.

We walked through what looked to be the dining room toward the kitchen which, to my surprise, was better than I could've imagined. Everything was either wood, glass, or marble. From the glass cabinets that displayed the anal white dish-ware and the OCD style organized seasonings, to the wooden accents in place of vases and little trinkets littered nicely across the marble countertops. 

"My parents are on a trip. A business trip...i Guess. So I live here alone for an indefinite amount of time."

I hummed as I followed closely behind him as he walked through the kitchen. I set the flowers down gently as my other hand glided across the cold marble island as I walked past.

"You have no clue when they are coming back?"

He glanced back at me before stepping down into a room in the back of the kitchen, his hand, again, reaching out for me. "Probably when summer is over but I'm not sure. Doesn't really matter to me."

This is the dullest I've ever heard his voice be. No childlike excitement or even a glimmer of happiness in his eyes. He wasn't even smiling which is something he can't seem to stop doing.

Though I had many questions, his lack of enthusiasm for answering the one I did ask, I decided to keep them to myself. Maybe I'll know him long enough for him to answer on his own or maybe I'll forget them entirely.

I looked around the room, my stomach dropping with amazement. "Is this...your pantry?"

Black shelves stacked on top of one another and lined with food in elegant glass jars or containers. Each with computer printed fonts on stark white labels.

"Yes. My mother doesn't like to run out of anything so we always have everything." I watched silently as he examined everything, only picking up a few things and holding them in his arms. "Are you allergic to anything?" His voice was hollow and his face was covered with a look of focus. His eyes almost seemed fully black from the side and his jaw looked more tense but he's looked that way since we got in here.

"I don't think so. Maybe apricots but I probably made that up."

He chuckled softly before looking over at me, the glimmer in his eyes reappearing and his soft smile once again offering its kindness. "How would you make that up?"

"I dunno. I feel like I just told someone I was allergic so I didn't have to eat them. I don't actually know if I like them or not."

"Do you want to find out?"

My eyes widened slightly before returning to their normal state. "What if I'm allergic?" I whispered.

He paused before laughing, the items he held pressing tightly against his chest. He leaned over slightly in front of me, a playful look in his slightly watery eyes. "Why are you whispering?" Though he was whispering, his voice became deeper and harsher, nonetheless, he sounded amazing.

Almost as if it was an instinct, my body tensed up, and I stepped back slightly. "I don't know." My eyes darted between his; searching for something indicating annoyance or concern. Anything that showed a dim in his adornment.

"Well, Moonie, if you don't want to, that's fine. There's always time to try an apricot or anything else you want to try." His eyes smiled at me once more before continuing to collect his ingredients.

I watched him as he moved. His arms wrapped tightly around the ingredients he held, his eyes near black as he remained focused, his hair as it was held back by his headband but those single strands always found a way to fall over his eyes. His skin, even in this bright white lighting, looked perfect and I knew that if I touched it, it would feel just as such.

He stood still for a moment, his eyes shut softly as gears turned gently inside of his head. He recounted and checked off the mental list he made of things he needed as if he couldn't come back for it.

"Ok," he smiled, the focused look washing away as the tide of his smile rolled in. "I dont know how hungry you are but we are gonna eat a lot." He chuckled lightly, his adams apple laughing with him.

"I eat a lot," I spoke softly, my eyes unthinkingly softening as I stared up at him. "Don't worry. I'll eat everything you make, hungry or not."

For a moment, the quickest of moments, something flashed in his eyes. Something unfamiliar that danced on the line of deep adoration and surprise. Almost as if he didn't know what it was either.

He walked around me and out of the room, me following after him. He stopped at the top of the barely higher level and offered me his elbow due to his hands being full.

I offered to help him cook but he refused, smiled, sat me down, and repeatedly told me that I was a guest. He gave me a cup of his favorite blueberry tea and got to work. As I watched him I came to a couple of realizations.

1. Id never had blueberry tea before.
2. Id never had a friend cook for me before.
3. I haven't eaten a home cooked meal in almost a decade.
4. Kai was indeed perfect.

The more I watched him, the more I noticed things and began to question more things about him. Like how tall he was. Kai was tall, much taller than me and I'm 5'10". His back was always straight and tho he wore baggier clothing, you could tell he had lean muscle underneath.

He has snake bite beauty marks on his temple and short, black baby hairs on the back of his neck. He had long eyelashes that were almost completely straight but it fit his eyes and still managed to frame the beauty of them.

At one point, half way through, when the kitchen began to really smell amazing, he pulled his hair back into a bun halfway to the top of his head. His hair wasn't too long but still it was the best bun I'd seen. He still had strands of hair falling over his face and, of course, they framed it perfectly.

I don't know if the feelings I feel for him are pure admiration or this is how people feel toward all of their friends, but I wonder if this is how he thinks of me.

"Ok! It's done." He let out a strong breath as he shuffled down toward the glass cabinet filled with dish-ware. From the way his body moved I could tell he was a bit tired. He still held the same energy he usually did but he seemed a little...limp.

I set down my cup and stood up to assist him. "Let me help." He jumped, the plates in his hands clattering as he stared at me over his shoulder with the 'deer in headlights' look. "W-what are you doing?" He stuttered. I smiled and reached over him to grab the plates. "I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to help."

He continued with the same look as I continued to offer him my smile. When I let out a slight chuckle at his progressively red cheeks, that's when he decided to come back to reality. "Are you ok? You getting hot?"

"What?"

I pointed to his cheeks, which made them light up like sirens. "Yes! It's the oven— and the stove..." I hummed an nodded, deciding not tease him anymore as I don't think he could take it.

We set the table quickly—well, he did and I just tried not to giggle at him. He glossed over the extravagantly set table once more before pulling my chair out.

"You didn't have to do that."

"You're the first to 'complain' about my actions." He smiled as he took his seat across from me. "I wasn't complaining...it's just that you don't have to treat me like I'm a princess or something." He organized the silverware next to him, his eyes focused on the napkin they set on "I promise I'm not treating you like a princess...if I was..." he glanced up at me, a soft smile resting in his eyes. "You'd know. This is just me being me. It's how I treat my friends."

I gave him a nod and he began placing food on each of our plates. "So we are friends?" I spoke up.

"What? You didn't think we were?" He glances at me.

"No, I did. It's just feels nice to have...confirmation." A soft chuckle that could be mistaken for a sigh fell from his lips. "Of course we are friends, Moonie. I'll give you as much confirmation as you need; tell you everyday if I have to."

"Ok."

He smiled at me once more before making the finishing touches to our plates. As he did so, I couldn't help but to feel a tightness in my chest.

Kai. Kai. I love that you're you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

447K 10.6K 63
He loathe his wife, yet he can't take his eyes off her. He wants her gone, yet he can't seem to stay away. He wants her to suffer, yet he's overl...
170K 6.8K 27
**This is Book One of the Challenges of the Heart Series** She's innocent, he's not. What happens when naive meets heartbreaker? What happens when a...
430K 22.1K 44
--COMPLETE--- There are whispers of a monster in the woods. What happens when said monster saves your life? TRIGGER WARNING FOR R*PE/ABUSE PLEASE IF...
49K 2.8K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...