Welcoming Death - Hololive Fa...

By SmallGalaxy_

Calliope Mori has been alone since the beginning of high school. As an upcoming reaper, it's not hard to dedu... More

CHAPTER 1: DEATH ITSELF EXISTS ALSO AS FEAR
CHAPTER 2: IN THAT REGARD, IT FEARS IMMORTALITY
CHAPTER 3: FEARS ARE MEANT TO BE OVERCOME
CHAPTER 4: OVERCOMING TAKES TIME
CHAPTER 5: BURNING PASSION
CHAPTER 6: WICK'S END
CHAPTER 7: RELIT
CHAPTER 8: MELTING THE WAX
CHAPTER 9: BURSTING INTO FLAMES
SMALL ANNOUNCEMENT
CHAPTER 10: EXOTHERMIC
CHAPTER 11: A SEA OF PIRANHAS
CHAPTER 12: BITTEN AND BRUISED
CHAPTER 13: SWIMMING FREE
CHAPTER 14: TO THE BRIM
CHAPTER 15: BROKEN DAMS
CHAPTER 16: MOTIVE
CHAPTER 17: CASE FILE
CHAPTER 18: DOUBTS AND FALLACIES
CHAPTER 19: MY ALIBI
CHAPTER 20: WITNESS
CHAPTER 21: SANITY'S BRINK
CHAPTER 22: TIMELESS
CHAPTER 23: HEALS ALL WOUNDS
CHAPTER 25: THE FOOL
CHAPTER 26: SUBCONSCIOUS

CHAPTER 24: BAND-AID

198 9 6
By SmallGalaxy_

(And so, the prodigal writer returns...)

Swinging her legs back and forth, Calli sat on the thin fence, surveying the area with a sharp eye. With her jacket lazily slung around her shoulders and her unkempt uniform, she scared many students as they came into the school. She knew she was scary; hell, many myths seemed to avoid her general vicinity just for looking around.

But this was a little different: It was on purpose.

Since Ina's suspension, many rumours started to arise. The group, it was generally just white noise that didn't matter. However, as it continued, the rumours spiralled into baseless accusations; rumours Calli knew wouldn't be true of the girl.

As she sat there, staring down each myth, her ears picked up a familiar grating voice.

"You heard that tentacle chick got suspended? Y'know? The one who was with Mori at that time."

"No fucking way. For what? Cheating on a math test?"

"Nah, she threw Kiara into the wall. Like properly in there. There's probably some blood still."

"What? Holy shit! Ain't she the phoenix?"

"Yeah dude!"

"You think you could take her in a fight?"

"Pfff, of course."

"Bet $200 that you can't."

"Easy money."

She stands suddenly, looking for the two reapers but to her dismay, the crowds of students hides them well. Determined, she leaned up, trying to spot them by their hair alone, only to be disturbed by a small tap on the shoulder, "Huh!?"

"Woah, woah, woah! What's wrong, Calli?" The phoenix's hair and feathers flared with a fiery glow for a moment as Calli instinctively pounced into a fighting stance.

"Ah, sorry, Kiara." Relaxing, she stood tall, sighing out with relief. With a hand to her chest, she looked down, only to notice an extra pair of legs behind her. Calli traced her gaze from her legs to her torso to, finally, her gentle azure eyes smiling with her lips. "Ina! You're here!"

Proudly, Ina leaned her weight on the balls of her feet. "In the flesh." She opened her arms wide open, accepting Calli's overbearingly strong hug. As she revelled in the affection, Ina noticed Kiara behind, mocking them, making kissy faces at her. Pushing Calli off, she walked stiffly towards the school. "Alright! L-let's just go!"

Calli raised a brow, looking at Kiara who only smiled.

The reaper quickly caught up to Ina, keeping her under her close and watchful gaze.

...

The girls returned to their usual lunch spot. However, the relaxed atmosphere it once held had somewhat disappeared since the incident. Many eyes would befall on them, especially now that Ina had returned. Whispers of rumours and questions circulated the bystanders, never minding the fact that the girls in question could hear them.

On one half, Kiara had been overly-sympathised with. She initially found it sweet for people to show concern for her however, soon she found their actions to be nothing but patronising. They'd empathise on the betrayal and hurt she must've felt, adding an offhanded insult to Ina at the end.

She felt no ill will toward her best friend. They'd straighten things out and said as such to every person who'd do the same thing. However, her forgiveness fell on deaf ears.

On the other, Ina was given an onslaught of glares, whispered insults and hell, even directly telling her she was a scumbag. Even the reapers were getting in on it. The REAPERS. She felt safer with her friends in tow but even then...

Was this ever going to go away?

"Watson, what's up with Calli today? She's pretty weird but like... she's acting even weirder today " Ina nudged the detective, nodding towards the wild-eyed Calli, who glanced around shiftily.

"She's on full guard dog mode."

"Full guard dog mode?" Ina repeated slowly.

"So is Enma." Amelia gestured towards the swordswoman, who looked down with one hand on her scabbard. Her leg bounced up and down anxiously. "They've been on edge ever since then. Your return? Well, that's a disaster waiting to happen."

Ina hissed through her teeth, biting her lip, "Ah... shoot." She fiddled with her fingers, flaps flattening with her contemplation. "And, uhm... G-Gura?"

Watson exhaled a long sigh. "She's been skipping school a lot. When she does come in, she says little to nothing. Didn't even talk to me." Amelia looked down as she said that, patting her neck with a sombre look in her eye.

Ina glanced up, noticing her expression. Furrowing her brows, she rubbed her temple in circles as she lamented. "I'm sorry, Watson." No matter how much she's been told they'd forgive, she couldn't help but feel guilty over the effects of their broken dynamic.

The detective patted her back, shaking her apology off. She moved on quickly, fidgeting with her hands, "So they just let you off the hook?"

"Pretty much... They had to redo my risk test but that was all..." Ina shrugged.

Amelia lifted her head, furrowing her brows. After silently stirring in her memories, she finally asked, "Risk test...?"

"Hm? Y'know? Those tests they do at the beginning of school-- Wait, you didn't do one?" Ina leaned in, gesturing for Amelia to speak as if she expected recognition. As she looked at her hard, a realisation dawned onto her. "Oh... Right, you're not..."

Noticing her trailing off, Amelia put two and two together. "it's cos' I'm human?"

Ina nodded, continuing, "Anyway, all I need to do now is continue training once a week to control AO-chan and keep a journal on it."

Kiara picked up on the conversation, turning to Ina as she spoke with disbelief, "What?! But you passed the risk test?"

"Yeah, I just..." Ina scratched her arm, looking at Kiara, "It's an emotional thing. If I get stressed enough, I lose control."

"So the journal is for...?" Amelia pointed at her bag.

Ina picked it up, pulling out the generic journal. In the front, a poorly written note read 'INA'NIS JOURNAL.' She peered inside, ensuring nothing too personal was there. "My thoughts. They want to see how AO-chan ticks," She presented the book to them, littered with both fancy writing and little doodles.

"... What is she like anyway?" Kiara kicked her legs casually, speaking absentmindedly.

"Who?" Ina asked, knowing who she referred to but hoping for some sort of misunderstanding.

Gesturing to her, Kiara leaned in curiously, "AO-chan you call her?"

Amelia, Calli and Enma perked up, looking towards Ina at the mention of AO-chan. They became keenly aware of the conversation.

"I already told you this." Attempting to brush it off, Ina exhaled awkwardly, avoiding her burning gaze.

In a panicked attempt to push, Enma slides towards her. "I'd like to hear."

"Me too... but only if you want to." Calli energetically spoke, speaking quieter when she heard her voice come out a little louder than she expected.

Ina stared at their interested expressions, looking towards her with expectation. Even if they didn't intend it, she felt some obvious pressure. Taking a breath, she steadied herself, clearing her mind.

Earnestly, she began, "Well, when I feel stressed, emotional or something like that, I can hear about a million voices overwhelming my own. When it gets to that point, my body stops listening to me."

"Damn..." Calli softly spoke, almost cursing.

"Even if I'm just relaxed, I'm fighting a thousand battles in my head against the Ancient Ones who say they want to protect me but really..." She scratched her neck, trying to ignore the protests in her head, "They're just limiting me for control."

"That must be difficult." The phoenix pat her shoulder gently, laying each of her fingers slowly and cautiously.

Shrugging, Ina shook it off casually, "It is but... you guys make it a whole lot easier." She smiled sweetly at them, contagiously spreading to the rest of the group.

"Cheesy." Begrudgingly, Amelia smiled lopsidedly.

Quietly but audibly, Enma looked aside and whispered, "I don't mind it though."

"Enough about them, I don't really wanna focus on it. Just cos' it's not a fun topic." Ina cleared her throat, drawing attention away from the previous topic. It wasn't a very nice one for her at all. While most heavy topics can be alleviated with talking it out, AO-chan worked differently. A sort of ignorant bliss kept the chaos at bay.

Noticing her subtle distress, the detective let the topic be, discouraging the others from continuing it. "Alrighty."

The bell rang and the treacherously awkward break finally ended. The group split off with little to say to each other before leaving. However, one lingered behind Ina.

Taking Ina's hand, Calli quickly pulled her over. "Hey, uhm, Ina. If you ever find yourself lost, just... find me. I'm pretty strong y'know so no need to worry about AO-chan hurting m--"

Ina interrupted, "It's alright, Calli, really." Sensing some doubt, she stared her right in the eye with nothing but honesty in them as she smiled, "I'll find you... Or Enma or Kiara if I'm struggling."

"Are you sure?" Gripping her hand tighter, Calli's eyebrows furrowed.

"You gonna be my school mom?" Their fingers interlocked, pressing their palms together tightly.

Calli's thumb passed over her knuckle, "I'll be your helicopter parent if it means your safety."

"Alright, alright, mom. Go to class now." Bumping her affectionately, Ina let go of Calli's hand.

They did so dramatically, savouring each touch until the very tip where they both jokingly frowned at their separation.

She waved her off, warmth lingering on her palm. Even for five seconds of contact, Ina mourned the loss of her warmth.

By the Gods, Ina was touch starved.

Two long, warm, draping arms wrapped around Ina as she stepped into the entrance of her next class."Here's a thought: Go on a date with Calli."

Her face burned, looking back at a smirking Kiara. Her words clumsily stumbled off her tongue, "Really not the time for-! I need to talk to Gura firs-- And it's really not appropri-"

"You guys need to talk! Properly. Openly! Honestly..." Pulling her into the classroom, she saw the vacant teacher's desk and danced with Ina mockingly, spinning her as she gave suggestions.

Ina looked down,, "But we already did... A-and besides, I couldn't do that to you.-"

"Ina, I know but nothing would make me happier than you being happy. And hey," Kiara smiled, slowing to a stop. She whispered close, "Maybe you can get Calli to let her guard down."

Taking her seat, she looked down at the table.

Kiara sat next to her, reassuring the small girl, "Don't worry about Gura. I'll talk to her and Watson about getting her outside her room for once."

"And Enma?" Ina quickly snapped up.

"I'll talk to her too. I've been meaning to get closer to her anyway." Gently, Kiara nodded.

Fiddling with the edge of the table, she felt conscious of the several liberties she'd been given by Kiara. It felt too easy. Way too easy.Much easier than before. This was unfair. Unfair to her. Kiara.

"Why do you always have to just be so... kind?" Ina spoke stiffly, pausing in between and trailing off.

Kiara chuckled, "You always say that about me but putting aside your feelings to listen to me? Indulging in my antics and plans?"

"Throwing you against a wall?"

"That was just a bump in the road! You're just as kind and patient and caring... and that's a lot considering how much you have to handle."

Ina pouted, unsatisfied but better. Truth be told, nothing would've made her feel any different. Kiara was all too kind, empathetic and patient. Even at the expense of her own feelings. She couldn't tell her to stop being kind. It was in her nature to be! And she'd just feel like an asshole.

So she acquiesced with a simpler gesture.

"We're gonna hang out soon. Just me and you. My treat." Ina nudged her.

"In that case, hot chocolate is in order."

"I would've thought you'd dream a little bigger."

"Hm... Then, how about your smile?" Kiara flirtatiously spoke, leaning on Ina's shoulder and looping their arms together.

Ina shook her head, looking away in an act of betrayal. "Your flattery won't work."

"Cos' you're in loove~" Kiara poked her nose, giggling like a maiden.

Alert, Ina snapped back quickly. "Shush!"

The teacher looked at the two, glaring at them as they entered to hear their loud antics.

The two wilted under their gaze, separating at once. "Sorry..." They sighed in tandem.

...

"Calli, wait up!" Ina ran out of the school, waving Calli down as she emerged from the leaving crowd. She panted, trying to match her wide strides, "Jeez, you're fast."

The reaper smirked, subconsciously throwing an arm around Ina, "You just have short legs."

"Hey!" Ina bumped her, frowning. She expected a response or at least a dry laugh but as she glanced up, Ina noticed Calli nervously looking around. She pulled on her sleeve, "C'mon. Let's go to the arcade."

Finally getting her attention onto Ina, Calli nodded, leading Ina with her arm around her shoulder.

The two walked with a smile, much more relaxed than the first time they met. No awkward pauses or uncertain touches and forced words.

"I kind of missed this..." Calli remarked absentmindedly, looking up at the aimless sky.

Following her gaze, Ina shared her longing smile, "I do too."

"It's hard to catch a break nowadays..."

"Was it ever easy?"

"You're right. It's borderline impossible now." She dryly laughed, dropping her arm to take Ina's hand.

Ina's smile widened subconsciously, gripping her hand back.

The reaper saw her smile grow curiously. She looked down, staring at their interlocked hands. "You're surprisingly clingy... Like touch-starved or something."

"What?" Ina nearly reeled her hand back but to the insistence of Calli, they remained together.

"Not a bad thing! Just surprising!" She waved off the comment with her free hand.

"Well, you should know how I am by now Calli..."

"I still can't get an easy read on you though."

"What do you mean?"

"You're an oxymoron and a half. You're clingy but you stay away; you're good with new people but struggle to continue talking to them; you smile a lot but you always seem so sad."

Her flaps flattened more and more as each statement was spoken until they laid snug against her hair, "Ah..."

Immediately noticing her saddened tone, Calli immediately went into damage control, "Not that they're all bad things! Hell I--"

"It's alright, Calli." She smiled, genuinely but with a sad, longing look, "I'm nothing but an oxymoron. A human that is a monster. A monster within a human. I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if my personality reflects it."

For a long moment, Calli looked down to the ground. Her eyes moved around desperately in the hopes of finding an answer until it befell on Ina. "Mm... but I see no monster."

"Hm?" Ina looked at her suddenly.

Nervously, Calli swung their interlocked hands gently as she stared at her in the eye, "Neither do you too?"

"Yeah, I-I mean, I don't." The priestess gulped.

AO-chan stirred.

'Your heart is racing.'

'Do not fall into her trap Ina'nis. She's just--'

Ina snapped back into the present, where Calli pulled the girl to the point where both of their shoulders were touching. Her palm pressed against Ina's bicep.

The shorter girl sighed out, relaxing her tense muscles. "We're just ordinary people doing fun, ordinary things."

"As ordinary people say." Calli smirked.

"Indubitably."

The reaper let go of her hand for a moment, "okay, now you ruined it."

"What?! How?" Surprised, Ina held onto her arm.

Calli laughed, weakly shaking Ina off but contradictingly, placing a hand over the smaller girl's. "Who the fuck says indubitably in a casual conversation?"

"I'm sorry if my language is too advanced for your head." Pouting, Ina turned her head away, refusing to look back at Calli.

Reassuringly, she patted Ina's head. "Yeah, yeah, keep talking. Bet you're the kind to have a thesaurus keychain."

"Spoiling my birthday gift already, Calli?" She smirked to herself, holding her close.

"I'll make sure to edit the pages. Your next essay is gonna look like a mess."

The two giggled as they made their way into the arcade.

Letting out a sigh, the reaper took in the senses: the warm wind descending on the two of them with the faint scent of greasy snacks alluring them to come in further. The sound of both excited children and teens playing with bright neon arcade machines as they ignored the bowling games ongoing in the background.

Ina smiled, looking around in similar awe. "Been a while since I've been here. Well, to play games."

"Same here. I remember the last time I actually came in here, I was with Kiara." Calli fondly recalled her time internally, looking towards the racing game.

"Back when you called her 'kusotori.'" Nudging her, Ina pushed her out of her nostalgic glaze.

Shame filled her face, blushing as Calli recalled her not-so-kind attitude towards Kiara. "Okay! Okay! I'm ashamed of myself. She's a lovely person and a great friend."

"Glad you understand. I mean, you used to be so scared-!" Laughing, the priestess covered her mouth to cover up her large grin.

"Aaah! Shut up!" Cringing, Calli covered her ears defiantly until looking back to the two empty seats at the arcade machine. "Y'know before, she and I sat here, talking about you."

Absent-mindedly, Ina nodded, "I know."

"Did she tell you?" Calli blinked, curling a brow as she looked down at her.

Slowly, Ina finally understood her mistake. To Calli, she was never there with them. Stumbling for a reason, she stammered, "I-I mean--"

"Of course she would." Calli shrugged, shaking her head. A small blush dusted her cheeks, "So you heard about all the embarrassing, cheesy shit I said?"

"Well," Seeing Calli's flustered expression, Ina brushed off reason and teased her instead "I didn't know you were such a poet."

"Yeah, you know me: All about that Shakespeare 'n shit." Feeling herself embarrassed for her attempt at comedy, she pulled Ina towards the games, "Let's go play some games."

"Alright then!"

As the two jumped headfirst into some fun, a passing reaper glanced at the pair, familiarity in his eyes as he stared at Calli.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.2K 780 9
(Y/N) (L/N) is the child of two very powerful and rich people. They spend their days wandering the halls of their parents mansion wanting nothing mor...
10.9K 785 200
Calli and Kiara have been separated once again after finally rekindling their flame of love. The two want to reunite with one another by all means ne...
25.2K 559 22
Kou x Mitsuba angst [IN THE PROCESS OF BRING REWRITTEN] My first angst! Please give as much input as you can, I'll gladly accept ⚠️⚠️TW!!!!!! DEATH...
5.1K 161 8
Holomyth is a new generation of vtubers. The 5 members are Gawr Gura, Ninomae Ina'nis, Calliope Mori, Takanashi Kiara, and Amelia Watson. After over...