Truly Mrs Shelby [T. Shelby |...

By bethanyjanebooks

In the year 1924 after the death of Chester Campbell, life has been a little quieter for Astella and Tommy wh... More

Cast
Graphic Gallery
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -
- 9 -
- 11 -
- 12 -
- 13 -
- 14 -
- 15 -
- 16 -
- 17 -
- 18 -
Next Book

- 10 -

74 4 0
By bethanyjanebooks

The Shelby boys were hunting a stag on Tommy's land, Tommy found one and shot it dead then they all rode their horses to a clearing on his land. They all gathered around the clearing with a fire burning in the middle and Tommy stood up, "Arthur, John, Finn, Daniel. Come here," The four Shelbys walked over to him and sat on the chairs.

"Alright, what is it?" Arthur asked.

"One moment, just waiting for someone," Tommy said.

"Who?" Finn asked and they turned hearing a horse galloping over and Natasha dismounted.

"What're you doing here?" John asked as his twin walked over.

"Orders from the boss," She looked at Tommy, "Am I late?" Natasha asked as she sat beside John.

"No, no, you're not. I didn't want to say this in the house," Tommy took out a letter, "This letter says that Dad's dead," He held it out to Arthur as his siblings and son sat in silence as Arthur took the letter, "He was in Boston in a bar called the Mickey Free," John took the letter from Arthur and the twins read it over together, "Two men waiting in an alley. He was shot twice," Tommy told them.

"Who's Rosie Rice?" John asked as Finn took the letter from Natasha.

"Some fucking whore," Arthur mumbled.

"She is a woman who took the trouble to write to us. And she wanted us to know that during the night, while he was dying, he asked for our forgiveness," Natasha scoffed and went to get up but John stopped her, "The only thing he ever taught us was how to kill and cut a stag and for Natasha how to kick a man in the nuts. Finn, John, Tasha, you won't remember," Tommy said.

"We remember. Cannock Chase," Natasha said.

"Parked up at a pub called the Griffin. He got drunk and sang Silver Dagger about 100 times," John said as they held each other's hand.

"Yeah. One weekend... One weekend he was like that," Arthur said.

"The stag is to remember him. We eat and then we forget him. No need to forgive him. Agreed?" John and Natasha nodded, "John, I have to say this. You can name your new baby after him if you like," Tommy said.

"No," John said.

"Arthur, I won't even ask. So his name dies," Tommy said.

"After William..." The boys looked at Natasha, "It is a part of your son's name... Though after our brother not father," Natasha said.

"Aye. It's been in the family for a long time, but now it's gone. Alright, that's done. Fuck him," Tommy said.

"I have something... Something Angela told me," They all looked at Natasha, "Just for your ears and Daniel since he's learning and I don't think Astella is ready but the Italians... The Jurossi's have gone back to Italy. Astella hasn't made contact with any of them since the wedding for obvious reasons which we haven't told them why, we thought that was more with you, Tom," He nodded, "But, Leonardo said that if you need... Italian influence that is on your side with anything, he's staying in London a bit something and for you contact him before Astella... Something about the children needing a mother where his grandchildren never got that," Natasha said.

"Does he think Astella will roll over and die?" John asked with a laugh.

"That's exactly what he thinks and there was something else... Something he wanted to tell me but couldn't... Tom, you need to talk to her," Natasha said.

"I'll do it," They looked at Daniel, "I'll talk to her... I know her the best right?" Daniel said.

"Alright, Daniel. I'll leave Angela to you," Daniel nodded and Natasha smiled at her nephew, "Before we cook and eat, there's some more business... As Tasha kindly started it off," Tommy said.

"You're welcome," Natasha said.

"Boys!" Tommy called out and the Blinders with them walked over and sat with them, "I wanted to say this out here, 'cause I don't trust the maids in the house. There's gonna be a robbery and Natasha is taking the position of Astella and will be at all meetings and decisions while she fully recovers... According to the maids, recovering is slower than it is, so if she's not using her crutches but the wheelchair and acting like she can't feel it'll be for their purpose," Tommy said.

"And also on Stella, she'll be remaining in her room whenever there's a public gathering at Arrow House unless it's those we trust," Natasha said.

"Why?" Finn asked.

"Stell is like Tom, Finn. She has enemies, bad enemies. Unable to move she's no threat to them but if they learn she can move, even a little while she's not fully recovered she's a target. I've posted Edward back as her bodyguard, he kept her safe from Campbell for two years, he'll do it again," Natasha said.

"How much are you paying him?" Tommy asked.

Natasha looked up at him, "Free."

The men scoffed, "Like hell, he's doing it for free, Tash," Charlie said.

"For me and Stell, Uncle Charlie. He's doing it for free," Natasha stood up, "Right, let's get down to business," She said.

In the afternoon at the Shelby betting house, Angela, Lizzie and Esme were inside working, "It's not fair," Esme walked over to Angela and Lizzie and a door opened, "They're off drinking and shooting rifles as we sit here," The door closed as Esme sat down, "Listen to the mugs swearing," Polly and Marilyn walked in, "Spitting on the bloody floor for us to fucking wipe up!" Polly passed them and Marilyn sat in a chair, "Without men here, they'd be like dogs pissing up the wall," Esme glanced at Polly, "I was just saying it's not fair. The men are down there like lords," She said.

Polly looked at her, "Esme just... Get on with it," She said and walked over to the safe.

"I'm bloody five months gone!" Esme said.

"And getting worked up over the way the men always are, isn't good," Angela said as she, Lizzie and Marilyn watched her sniffing cocaine from her thumb.

"And that doesn't help," Marilyn added.

Polly was trying the combination for the safe but couldn't get it right, "Forgot the combination," Polly said.

"24-8-22," Angela said.

"How do you know that paper cash combination?" Polly asked.

"She's the boss lady now," Esme said.

"Shut up, Esme," Angela said.

Polly tried the combination, "He's changed the combination," She said.

Angela sighed and walked over, "You've put it in wrong," She said.

"No, I haven't," Polly said as Angela passed her and Polly followed her, watching her over the shoulder.

Angela looked at Polly, noticing her hands were shaking, "Your hands are shaking," Angela put in the combination and opened the door, "Ta-da~" Angela said and walked away.

"Ta," Polly muttered and walked into the safe, getting some money before walking out and closing the safe before walking over.

"And actually, I'm in charge of the betting shop," The four women looked at Angela, "Temporary. Until everything is back to normal and teaching Daniel the ropes as well," Angela looked between Lizzie, Polly and Esme, "Happy?" 

The door opened and two women walked in, "None of it's fucking fair," Esme repeated.

"Oh, for fuck sake, Esme. I know alright? I fucking know, but having you whining all day every day isn't helping. You wanna go home, go. I ain't fucking stopping you," Angela looked at the log book, "Hmm, Lizzie, this number needs changing," Angela said.

"Does it?" Lizzie looked at it and then worked it out, "Oh, yeah, sorry," She said.

"Don't worry about it," Angela shrugged and Polly walked off.

Marilyn looked at Angela, "Put me to work... I'm bored," She said.

"You're a nurse," Angela said.

"Yeah, but I don't know this, and Oscar's always going on about the Shelby Company, which I know some but from an outsider's point of view," Marilyn said.

"Trust us, that's the best view," Lizzie said and Natasha and Esme nodded.

"Really? That bad?" Marilyn asked.

"That bad," The three of them confirmed.

Back on Arrow House's land, Tommy and Natasha were showing the Blinders the blueprints for the Lancaster Factory and discussing the plan for the robbery, "It's two hours' work. Bit of grease on your cuffs and that's it," Natasha said.

Michael looked at her confused, "Tasha, should I really be here for this?" He asked.

"I've cleared it with Polly, Michael. There's no way around it. We need you to know," Tommy said.

"Who the fuck wants to buy 27 stolen armoured cars?" Charlie asked.

"A foolish man," Natasha looked at Tommy, "Is it you?" She asked, jokingly.

"Pipe down," Tommy said.

"And how much is this foolish man paying?" Michael asked.

"£150,000. Cash, diamonds and sapphires. So that's 20 for you, Charlie," Tommy winked at his uncle, "Isiah, there's 5 to you, get my daughter something pretty or she'll kill ya, she has her eyes on a horse," Tommy said.

"That her father is to buy her, so won't kill ya, lad," Natasha said and Isiah nodded.

"The rest we take to America to invest in legally-acquired property. Assets bought with untraceable income resold, and the profits reinvested to make sure it's clean," Tommy said.

"And after that, I suppose, the whole business will be like that stag hanging up over there, right, Tom?" Arthur questioned.

"Well, with profits on this scale, we'll be in a position to stop the off-track business for good. Keep the pubs, stop the protection. Horses for the sport and race days for a lark... I made a promise to my children's mother," Tommy said.

"Now, I also made a promise to Linda," Arthur said.

"We know," Natasha said.

"We can see it in your eyes, man. Part of the reason for doing this last job is so you'll be set up when you do decide to walk away," Tommy said.

"Look at you, Arthur," Arthur looked up at his uncle, "A man that wanted to live a clean life, but here you are signing up for the biggest robbery of all," Charlie looked at Tommy and Natasha, "I have to hand it to you, Tom, you're a smart man. Tasha, you've taken Astella's role rather well," Charlie said.

"You in or out, Charlie?" Tommy asked.

None of them spoke for a while, "Curly," Charlie said.

Curly stepped up behind Charlie, "Shouldn't have killed the stag, Tommy," Curly said shaking his head.

"Oh, shut up," Charlie said.

"Bad luck," Curly repeated stepping back.

"Shut up," Charlie repeated then looked at his niece and nephew, "How do we know this foolish man will hand over the diamonds when we're done?" Charlie asked.

"We don't. But that's another business. Right, let's cook some meat," Tommy said and they all walked away from the fire as Natasha walked over to her horse and rode off.

Back at the betting shop, someone was banging on the door and Polly walked over to it, "Can't wait to part with their money, stupid bastards," Esme said.

"Esme, please... Just get over life," Angela said.

"How do you get over life?" Lizzie asked.

"Find another one," Angela shrugged, "Shane said it once to someone," She said.

"It's alright, it's me!" Linda called out from the other side of the door, Angela and Lizzie looked at each other and continued working as Marilyn watched them while Polly let her in, "Arthur said you'd be short-staffed today because they are on a works outing," Linda said as she walked further inside.

"Piss up actually," Esme corrected.

Lizzie looked at Angela, "Deep breath," Lizzie whispered.

"I can flipping breathe," Angela muttered.

"But you're not," Marilyn whispered.

Linda placed a basket on the bar, "I brought sandwiches and this lemonade I made myself," The women looked at her silently as they continued working, "I'll make tea and empty ashtrays, but I won't handle money or slips," Angela rolled her eyes and walked into Tommy's office, taking a key out from her pocket and unlocked a draw getting out a packet of cigarettes, she took out a cigarette, found the matches and lit her cigarette before locking the door and walking out, "Arthur says, what you do here is illegal, but not immoral," Linda said.

Lizzie brushed past Linda, took the cigarette from Angela and took a drag before handing it back, "Depends what time you get here, Linda," Esme said.

"And anyway, I thought I'd offer you my physical and spiritual support in your time of need," Linda said.

"The Lord thanks you Linda," Linda smiled at Angela and the younger woman looked at Polly, "Pol, you got anything for Linda? We don't need tea right now and the ashtrays are empty, but we can't have you doing nothing when the men arrive," Angela said as she leaned against the wall smoking.

Polly walked over with two sacks, "Oh, Linda, if you want to be a help," Lizzie and Esme sat at the large table together by the bar as Polly placed the sacks on the table and then looked at her, "Run up to the shops and get me 20 Senior Service," Polly turned around and grinned, "Lizzie'll give you the change," Polly said and walked over to Angela.

Lizzie chuckled, "No, I won't," She said.

"Actually, I'll use my own money, Polly," Polly was behind the bar as she got a glass down and picked up a bottle, "And before you ladies decide to find me so amusing, I have a message for you," Linda said.

Polly sighed, "If it's to go to church, I already do and so do Marilyn, and Pol... When she wants to nowadays which was today," Angela said.

Linda looked at her, "Does Tommy know you're smoking?" The girl nodded, "And Astella?" Angela stared at her, "I'm guessing not," Linda said.

"I don't care. The parents who could scare me into not doing something are dead," Angela walked over to the table, "Plus they'd be hypocrites if they did," She said as she sat on a table looking at her.

"It's not a message from God, Angela. It's from Jessie Eden," Linda said.

"Who's Jessie Eden?" Polly asked.

"She's the lady shop steward at the Lucas factory in Sparkhill," Linda said.

"Lady shop steward?" Esme repeated.

"She's bringing all the female workers in the spot-welding and wire-cutting shops out on strike for the day. In protest at being made to work on a holy day," Linda said.

"So, is sort of a message from God, since it's about today?" Marilyn commented and Lizzie chuckled.

Linda ignored them, "Poor conditions, lack of holidays, unsanitary lavatory provisions and lower pay for female workers. Apparently, all the female factory workers in the city are joining the protest in sympathy and will walk out of their places of work at 9 a.m. to march on the Bull Ring," Someone was knocking on the door, "All oppressed female workers welcome," Linda said.

"Them bastards down there shooting deer. Me five months gone, sat here like a pudding," Esme said.

"Only one outside lavatory between the lot of us," Linda said.

Angela handed Marilyn the key, "Get me Tom's cigarettes and his lighter that are in the drawer, please," Angela said and Marilyn did as asked as the female workers gathered.

"Not consulted," Esme said.

"Bent over a fucking desk," Lizzie said.

"Ladies, I honestly believe those who march on Good Friday have God on their side," Linda said.

The banging at the door continued, "It's 9 o'clock, ladies!" A man called out.

"I want to cut off his balls," Angela said as Marilyn handed over the cigarette boxes and lighter to her.

"Open the fucking door!" The man shouted and they all looked at the door.

"Angela... Your call," Lizzie said.

"Fuck it... My sister takes two bullets for Tommy and he listened to the words of someone in shock, staying away from her. Spending the day shooting when she's alone in her room, barely moving and I'm here, knowing hardly anything expected to run the show without them," Angela looked at Linda, "There are times I don't like you, Linda," The blonde stared at her, "Today... I fucking love you, Auntie Linda, I'm in," She grinned, "Pol, what do you think?" Angela asked.

"Fuck it. I'm not in the mood today," Polly told her.

"Well then ladies," They looked at Angela who was putting on her fur coat, "Let's go to the Bull Ring. Linda, bring your basket, today they will get nothing from us," She said.

"Hallelujah!" Esme said.

The women all put their coats and hats down as they followed Angela and Polly out of the betting shop, the men were lined up to go inside but stood there as Angela threw the keys to Linda who locked up the shop once all the women were out. The group of women walked down the street towards, the Shelby women had their arms linked as they walked.

Back at Arrow House, the men were riding up on horses and saw a new car parked on the drive, "The foolish man?" Michael questioned.

"Not quite," Tommy answered they all dismounted their horse.

Tommy walked into his home and into his office where he found Tatiana behind his desk and he closed the door, "I'm sorry I came unannounced," Tatiana said.

Tommy leaned against a bookshelf, "What do you want?" He asked as she got out a cigarette and lit it.

"We need proof," She told him.

"Proof of what?" He asked.

"You and your sister said the priest is a traitor. We need to know how you two know," Tatiana said.

"The proof is my word. If he's involved I'm out. He needs to die," Tommy said.

"Are you always so violent?"

Tommy stared at her, "I killed a stag today and it hurt me to do it. But I treated it with respect, and the spare meat will go to poor people. It will grieve me far less to put a bullet in the priest's face," He said.

"Will you not sit when a duchess sits?" She questioned.

"I'm told you're part of the deal. Is that true?"

Tatiana smirked a little and shrugged her shoulder a little before standing up, "The Royal Court in Tbilisi actually worked very efficiently," She said.

"Ah, I see. And it worked like this, eh?" He questioned.

"There were lots of corridors and small rooms," She walked over to the whiskey and poured glasses, "Attics. There were no rules there. Deals were done. Brothers gave sisters, aunts gave uncles, fathers gave daughters and servants," She picked up the glasses and looked at him, "It was my aunt's idea that I came alone," She walked over to him, "She is in charge of this," She handed him a glass which he took and she stroked the side of his face, "When there are no rules, women take charge," She said.

"They understand that the power they have comes through silent agreements. I've promised I will do everything I can to make this plan work," She walked over to a couch and looked at him, "My aunt assumed you would want me as part of the deal," She sat down and put her feet up on the sofa, "I will tell her she's wrong," Tatiana said.

They heard footsteps approach and the door opened, Edward walked in chuckling, "Tommy, you ain't gonna believe this, man. John just phoned the garrison, and he spoke to Billy. He says Angela, Polly, Esme, Marilyn and Lizzie have gone on fucking strike. I went upstairs to check on the women, both gone and a note saying that they are on strike," Edward said.

"They what?" Tommy asked.

"They've gone on fucking strike! While I was taking a piss," Edward sighed, "Half of Birmingham is out... The female half, they're all out, every single one of them. Quaker's put 'em up to it," Edward looked over at Tatiana was fiddling with her dress, revealing her garter, "Sorry, Tom," He said.

"No worries. Who's watching the shop?" Tommy asked.

"Angela's locked it up," Edward said.

"See, Good Friday's one of our best days for takings. All the men get drunk. The races are all fixed. It's like picking apples off the lowest branches. Hey, Edward?" Tommy said.

Edward was looking between Tatiana and Tommy, "Hmm, yes," He said.

"Then your business is very easy," Tatiana said.

"Was Linda with them?" Tommy said.

"You know, Billy said that Polly jumped in the fucking Bull Ring, just pissed out of her mind, started going on about revolution, screaming to the rooftops and Tasha was cheering her on," Edward said.

"Was Linda with them?" Tommy repeated.

"Yeah," He answered.

"Then it was Linda's idea," Tommy said.

"You know she has her nose in that sort of stuff, man," Edward said.

"Linda's a smart woman," Tommy said.

Tatiana walked up and the two men looked at her as she looked between them before giving Edward her attention, "I don't think we've been introduced properly," She said.

"Quite right, forgive my rudeness. Edward, this is Grand Duchess Princess Tatian Petrovna. Tatiana, this is Edwards Burns, a former soldier, professor, and now a bodyguard," Tommy said.

"Pleasure to meet you Grand Duchess," Edward said.

"Likewise," Edward took her hand and kissed it, "See, Mr Shelby, that's how you greet a duchess," Tatiana glanced at Tommy before looking at Edward and felt his arms, Edward glanced at Tommy who watched them, "I can see why you are a bodyguard, very in shape," She said with a smirk.

"Ed," Edward cleared his throat as he looked at Tommy, "There's a Bentley in the drive outside. I want you to go out and put a nail in its tire. It's Good Friday, so there'll be no garages open. The lady will have to spend the night. Then I want you to tell the boy to all go home and I want you to keep your door unlocked," Tommy said.

"Tom," Edward muttered.

"Have Daniel take Charlie and William, with him to Arthur and Linda's for the night, they can use the practice. Let Angela know she can pick who she stays with," Tommy said.

Edward rocked on his feet a little, "You want me to put a nail in..." He pointed to the window, "And you want me to... When you know..." Edward struggled.

"Yeah. You heard me," Tommy said.

"Yeah," Edward nodded, "Does she..." He said.

"No, she doesn't," Tommy said.

"And does..." Edward began.

"Her idea, her terms," Tommy said.

"Right. Of course," Edward looked at Tatiana and smiled, "Nice to meet you again... Let me know when you're business is over," Edward said and walked out, shutting the door.

"Why do you need to put a nail in the tire?" Tatiana asked.

"I want it so neither of you can change your minds. How are you with secrets?" Tatiana tilted her head, "From your uncle and aunt," Tommy said.

"Depends on the secret," Tatiana said.

"Revolves an old friend," Tommy said.

"Very good with them," Tatiana said.

"Bring her in," Another door opened and Shane helped Astella through the door on her crutches, "My wife is alive," Tommy said.

Tatiana looked over, "Astella," She said.

"Tatiana," She nodded to her brother who left and Tommy helped her over, "I'm fine, I'm fine," Astella said.

"Did anyone see ya?" Tommy asked.

"No," Astella leaned against Tommy and looked at Tatiana, "Because I know what you're like, I know you put yourself on the deal, so I'm giving you an alternative. Edward instead of my husband, hopefully, this will give him the kick he needs to tell the girl he loves her," Astella said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.8K 2.2K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
1.1M 29.1K 93
"Realising how fucking beautiful you are suddenly sobered me up" Anna Smith, the girl who was brought up in a tiny village, sheltered naively from al...
137K 10.3K 68
"I do bad things. But you already know that." ~ Thomas Shelby A tragic misunderstanding. A murder. A secret. An unlikely partnership. When the disapp...
149K 4.4K 65
On a train arrives a young woman. She's naive, she's kind, she's everything the city begs her not to be. When she meets Thomas Shelby, he is unlike a...