- 12 -

At Shelby Company, Tommy was in his office with Daniel and Angela and he took out a bullet from his pistol and put in one marked Hughes, "Dad? Why are we here?" Daniel asked.

"I need the truth, son, Angel," He spun the cylinder as he walked over to them and crouched down, "Why you two are terrified of Father Hughes?" Tommy asked.

"In the Parish, I acted out and attacked a nun, I had a bad temper when I was younger like four or something, and they put me in the reformatory for boys where he works. I was still acting out, I still don't know why, I was always called into his office... First, it started off... Pleasant, you know, glasses of water, informal confession, he helped me understand that why I was so angry was because I didn't know you or mum," He nodded, "I thought it was because you gave me up, you know till I learnt the truth that you thought I was dead... So, I calmed down," He let out a shaky breath and Tommy a cigarette, lit it and handed it to him, "Won't tell mum," His father nodded as his son smoked, "I calmed down, stopped lashing out but I was still called into the room and he turned... And..." Daniel said and looked away.

"Hey, hey... Tell me," Tommy said.

Daniel shook his head and closed his eyes, he remembered being a child and cowering in a corner crying as Father Hughes stood over him panting "Little creature..."

"Daniel..." Tommy took hold of his son's hand, "What did he do?" Tommy asked.

"I was scared dad," Daniel looked at him tearfully, "So scared... He..." He inhaled the nicotine, "He..." Daniel said.

Tommy looked at Angela, "And you?" He asked

"Where do you think the scars came from? When Daniel ran away from the Parish, Hughes came looking for him, I covered for him and I got attacked as a result... As I said, I wasn't nearly or assaulted by a boy," Angela said.

"Thank you for telling me," Tommy stood up and kissed their heads, "Stay here until you're ready to go home," Tommy said and walked out.

Tommy had tracked down Father Hughes, who was at a village fete, he watched as the father engaged with the children before turning away before anyone noticed him on the bridge above the fete