Paint The Ice

Od -consequential-

Asher Humphrey booked a babysitter on Friday night so he could hang out with his friends after their hockey g... Více

PAINT THE ICE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 4

38.6K 744 305
Od -consequential-

RILEY

MY EYES ARE WIDE OPEN WHEN THE FRONT DOOR CREAKS.

I'm sitting on the couch with my sketchbook on my lap. After I managed to put Tommy to sleep in Asher's room which was torture by the way because the kid has way too much energy that surprisedly took hours to tone down. He fought his sleep for some reason. Thankfully, it worked out and I decided to use my free time charging my phone and drawing.  But since the herd of noisy players are about to enter the room, I tuck my sketchpad away and yank my phone from the charger, throwing those in my backpack as well.

There's stumbling on the stairs, and a girl laughing among all the masculine voices. I don't recognize the feminine one. I'm pretty sure Cole is the one who brought home a girl.

Multiple footsteps after, the area is sound free.

But of course, someone's in the living room so I deliberately lift my head. It's Asher because of course it's him. And he's shirtless like he couldn't wait to burst through the front door. It's criminal that he looks like this. All toned and tall. I catch a glimpse of his V-line and immediately resist the urge to think about the deeper the V-line, the bigger the dick. Was that a myth? Averting my eyes to the tiny hairs on his chest that's so minimal it's barely noticeable. Even the stubble on his jaw looks pulchritudinous. He's freaking perfect.

Asher ruffles a hand through his dark hair. "I'm here to free you from your sitting duty."

I'm surprised he didn't bring up the fact that I was basically checking him out.

"Can't wait," I grab my backpack along with my jacket and stand on my feet.

I quickly take notice of the tiny gap between the two of us. I loathe that he's taller than I am even when I'm wearing boots so I have to look up at him when he speaks. Normally, I'm the one looking down at guys or I'm at the same height as them. It makes me feel powerful and now, I don't.

"Remember that I have your number and I know where you live just in case you want to chicken out." I threaten which I'm sure bounces right off him.

He arches a brow. "Another threat. You're on a roll." I watch him lean in and my body becomes as stiff as cardboard. There's no time to ask what he's doing because he says. "We shaked on it so I'll be there. I don't break my promises."

Hot breath grazes the side of my neck. The hairs on my skin stand up. "Good. See you then. Good night Humphrey." I exhale, my work is done. He straightens and I walk briskly past him.

Upstairs, there's a sound of something banging repeatedly and I truly feel sorry for Tommy. Hopefully he can sleep through Cole's antics. If the girl's a screamer then it's over. But that's Asher's problem now and not mine.

Asher grips my wrist though, stopping me in my tracks. "Drive safely and let me know when you are home. I care about your safety and you're leaving my place." When he realizes that I've stopped walking, he releases my hand which is the best thing he's ever done. "Wait. Let me walk you out."

Immediately, I shake my head in disapproval. "That's not necessary."

"It is." Asher insists, and there's a determined look in his eyes like he won't give up on this.

"I mean it. Stay here."I throw my leather jacket over my shoulders. During the night, I managed to shove my turtle neck into my backpack and I can't be bothered to zip it open right now so the jacket on my shoulders will have to do in the night's air.

I'm heading for the front door and Asher's footsteps follow me. When I pull the front door open and step on the welcome mat, the cool air crashes into my face and mid section. Yikes. It's colder than before if that makes sense. My fingers tighten the jacket around my waistline.

Asher doesn't leave or stand at a distance, no, he literally follows me to my car as if I'm going to slip on air or something. His face is red and mine probably is identical. I'm not sure when he had the time to throw on his shirt but he's wearing it again.

I climb into the driver's seat and toss my backpack on the passenger's side. "Your  mission is accomplished. You can let go now." I say, resisting the urge to push his hands off my door.

He's holding onto my door with one hand—a strong grip—and I stare at his hand to see if his knuckles have turned white. Instead, I'm met with long fingers and laid hairs on his knuckles. "Remember to text me when you get home. I'm not joking about this."

"Okay. Good night."

"It's the am."He corrects. Such a smartass and then he closes the door with the last word.

Taking the opportunity, I reverse out of the driveway of the redbrick house. I can see Asher in the rear view mirror still standing when I attempt to straighten the car on the asphalt. His arms are crossed over his chest and his feet apart. I honk the horn and then I'm on my back to Taft.

I live in the senior suite. We call it the suite. Four floors to be exact and though I don't know everyone on each floor, I know the people on mine. Fittingly, the building is near the student health center and it's Cole's dream because he stops by most times he comes over for STD screenings. My apartment is shared between four of us. Kianna, Sutton, Mattie and myself.

They're my group of friends. Kie, I've obviously known the longest because we were roommates in freshman year. Mattie was the fresh face of the coffee house—Sippers— and when her name was called for her vanilla latte and then my drink with 'Riley' she immediately started gushing over the fact that we both have unisex names. I know plenty of guys whom I share a name with but Mattie was the first I've heard from a girl. She was already familiar with Sutton and eventually we all hung out and it was worth it because unforgettable friendships were formed and they're literally stuck with me now.

Our hockey arena isn't the only impressive infrastructure. Taft is an expensive university. Therefore, the entire aesthetics lives up to the hype as well as all the chains involved. The suites all have a modern kitchen, two clean-cut bathrooms which is super convenient because freshman year dorm life was all about sharing a bathroom with the entire hall. We also have a dining room, living room and garbage disposal. And it wouldn't be Taft if there weren't lounges on every floor for people to hang out.

I'm content with being on the first floor because it means I'm more accessible and I don't need to climb stairs.

Darkness swallows me whole when I enter the apartment after turning the key. Mattie and Sutton are spending the weekend with their partners because they chose to be in long term thriving relationships which means it's just Kie and I all weekend. She's asleep right now. I can hear her snoring when I'm removing my boots at the door. Once the door is locked I tip toe towards her room just to take a peep through the gap.

The covers are over her midsection. She's wearing a pink top like a total girly girl.

As much as the demons are telling me to bang against her door and have her jolting from sleep, I won't do that to her because I know she needs the rest. Kianna only snores when she's extremely exhausted.

I scurry to my room and it's the complete opposite. I've never been a fan of pink but it is a beautiful color. I suppose it's true that colors reflect the mood and the type of person. And no, my room isn't painted black or anything dull or gloomy.

It's painted Carolina blue and my favorite spot, you've guessed it, is my desk with my paintings, textbooks and general art supplies. Believe it or not, it's clean and organized. Though the place might look like a storage room because of the storage baskets.

And the chair that everyone has with clothes that's supposed to be folded and put away.

As I'm closing the curtains at my window, something vibrates. My eyes flicker to my backpack because I know it's my phone. I proceed with the curtains, and then I open up my backpack and grab my phone. There's a message on the lit screen.

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Are you alive?

He wasn't joking about being concern about my safety. Maybe there's a serial killer on the loose or there are kidnappings happening in the area that I don't know about.

ME:
Before you lose your marbles
I'm home safe & sound

In the blink of an eye, he responds.

ASHER HUMPHREY:
That's what I want to hear

I decide that's the end of the conversation and set my phone down. Then I remove my jacket and my jeans. I lay on my back, arms in front and stare at the ceiling until I drift off into a deep sleep.

___

"How was babysitting? You didn't die." Kianna scoops for tea, leaning in my doorway on Saturday morning.

I'm currently surrounded by a mountain of my clothes. I can't let them sit on the chair any longer, it's time for folding so that's what I'm doing. It'll seriously start to look like a monster if I open my eyes in the middle of the night in that direction.

I don't like talking to anyone when I haven't brushed my teeth and washed my face but this is Kie so I don't mind the exception.

"It was okay. He wasn't the worst kid in the world and it's surprisingly not the worst thing I've ever done in my life. By the time I got home, you were passed out."

She crosses her feet at the ankles. "Yeah. I wanted to catch you coming in but my body gave up."

I fold a navy blue t-shirt. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Good. Good. I caught up with All American before I passed out. How did you sleep?" She asks, genuinely curious.

"Good." I supply vaguely.

She's full on staring at me now. "Yeah? And you didn't smoke?"

Kianna's fully aware of my smoking habits. I live with her. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to nicotine because I made it the entire day without an itch. A full 24 hours without my cigarettes is an improvement. I know the dangers of smoking and I don't need to be parented on my choices.

"No. I didn't. Can't do that around kids." Which I assume is general knowledge but I voice it anyway. "and I didn't before bed. Are you proud?"

"A little bit. It's progress." She's been trying to get me to tone down on smoking ever since we met but I could only go a week tops.

Setting the t-shirt I folded aside, I grab my phone and slip into Asher's messages. I type a message quickly before I can forget about it for the rest of the day. The length of the text makes me want to delete the entire thing but I ignore the thought and hit send.

ME:
I know you have hockey
practice on certain days
so I'm being nice for once and
letting you pick a day
that you're free
The building hours are
Monday-Friday
7:30-midnight & Saturdays
I prefer Fridays but I'll work
with whatever you pick

My phone vibrates immediately which leads me to believe that Asher must be as free as a kite because there's no way he has time on his hands to reply to me in five seconds.

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Good morning where are your manners?
Didn't know you were an early
riser and how about Friday evening

ME:
Lost them when I was a child
and Friday evening is perfect

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Do we find them over breakfast?

My eyebrows raise as I type my reply.

ME:
Are you asking me out? Why?

ASHER HUMPHREY:
I don't think you're as rude
as you think you are

ME:
Even after all my threats?

ASHER HUMPHREY:
I feel like those are your foreplay tactics

ME:
If we're in the act of foreplay...trust me you'd feel it

And my sex deprived brain imagines it. Asher at the edge of his bed, knees apart and I squeeze between, on my own knees. His fluffy dark hair a total mess and his body sculpted by the Gods and they definitely took extra time on his dick—

How did I get here? Seeing his V-line caused all of this.

Asher doesn't reply right away. If he doesn't reply in two minutes I'm going to think he's jerking off to my text and I should probably let him know that my teasing would be unbearable. Luckily, my phone vibrates shortly after and it's him.

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Mouth or hands?

I'm shocked he actually said that. Sure, I'm over here visualizing but I wouldn't type it out. He doesn't need to know. Asher Humphrey is brave. No way am I entertaining this. He's filthy and God I kinda like it. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Asher isn't physically hot. But still I'm not entertaining this.

ME:
I'm not getting you off!
You have a porn mag on
your desk for that

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Duly noted
Wait you searched my room?

ME:
No but now I wish I did
You really have a porn mag?

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Do not

ME:
OMG you definitely do

ASHER HUMPHREY:
I'm innocent until proven guilty

ME:
Haha

"Girl." Kianna chuckles, eyeing me suspiciously and for a split second I think she saw what's on my phone screen but she didn't. She's just trying to get my attention or figure out what's going on.

Another message springs in.

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Tommy and I
are heading out to Dan's diner
I think he'd like to say thank you
before we get to Northville today

ME:
Does Tommy want to say
thank you to me or is it you?

ASHER HUMPHREY:
Both
My treat

Then he sends a good ole smile emoji.

ME:
It has to be your treat
that's the only way
I'm showing up Humphrey

ASHER HUMPHREY:
A man never lets
a woman pay
I'll see you then

Another text pops up with the address. 24920 Hoover Rd.

Kianna's hands are on her hips now and she's staring at me when I look up from the screen of my phone. "Who is it? Looks entertaining to me. Spill."

"It's just Asher. He wants to see me for breakfast as a thank you. And his son." Though I don't know why Asher would want to thank me when he's literally going to be cleaning the art studio next week.

The tables are turning in Kianna's head. "Really? You should go. It'll be good. Where is it?"

"Dan's Diner. It's on Hoover Road. Do you know it?"

She shakes her head. "No... hmm. I don't. Eat something okay? That's all that matters."

Before I came to Taft, Mom would attend to her boyfriends which means that most of the food wasn't for me and Cole. She'd get mad if we ate too much food because she wanted to treat her boyfriends. Smoking took my hunger away. It'll fill me up with joy and lessen my hunger and stress. What's funny in all of it was that Mom had the money. She could buy any amount of food needed, that wasn't an excuse but she'd still complain. She knew when food went missing but not her cigarettes.

I don't know why but I've stupidly given her a chance again when I went to dinner and she kicked me out over a man. It's my last straw. She's already paid for everything here and she doesn't call me and I don't call her so I think it's over for real this time.

Something that's not over is the fact that I barely eat. It's why Kie tries to monitor me. I don't have an appetite to consume food most days and that popcorn from the arena took me through the entire night. I'm still dealing with the confines of my mother even when I no longer live under her roof.

I flash her Kie a grin. "I will. Thanks Mom."

She makes her way over and sits down on the bed. "Here. I'll help you fold your clothes so you can get out of here quicker."

"Do you want to get rid of me that badly?"

Kianna doesn't back down. "Yes! Mattie and Sutton aren't here and I don't want you here when I'm screaming from my vibrators."

I snort. "Okay you'll get your moment of self care."
_____

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I was having fun with the texts lol and yes Dan's Diner is a real place in Warren, Michigan where the story is set :)
Let's talk...
How are y'all?
Do we like Kianna? Asher? Riley?
Can't wait for you guys to meet the rest of Riley's friends!
Do we like long chapters or short chapters?
Happy Sunday! 🤍

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

24.4K 372 15
"Got a boy back home in Michigan and it tastes like Jack when I'm kissing him." 'study buddies' can mean a bunch of different things. especially if y...
592K 14.8K 38
[MATURE] After a hate-filled one night stand, Evanna Hill is in shambles. With her perfect reputation and Rich parents' influence, she is shocked at...
696K 16K 41
Kiya's life lacks excitement. However, one day, while she is singing in her dorm bathroom, someone joins in on the other side of the wall. Initially...
94.6K 3.9K 22
Even though she's one year out of college, for once in her life, Reese Adler is going to have a summer for herself. Her little brother, who she pract...