Starting Over

De __laura22

Scarlett Jones moved to the city for a fresh start and got herself a successful boyfriend in the process. But... Mai multe

character aesthetics
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty-eight

chapter four

519 25 0
De __laura22

Scarlett

As soon as the sunrise came up this morning I got dressed and headed straight out to grab a coffee.

I then, of course, made my way down to the beach where I've currently been sat for the last few hours, staring into the ocean, watching the waves lap onto the sand.

Ryan left Whitedale last night. I told him we needed to end things and he didn't yell or get angry he just left. I didn't like the way he spoke to me last night, infront of my friends too. But it did give me the push to break up with him that I needed. Honestly it needed to happen, for my sanity and happiness.

I wrap my arms around myself as the cool sea breeze blows into me, I'm only wearing shorts and a t-shirt and even though the sun is warming my skin it doesn't stop the slight shivers that cover my body. Pushing my bare feet down into the sand I sink my head onto my knees.

I'm not ready to leave here. I don't want to leave here. I know Charlotte needs help in prepping for the wedding and I would love to be there for her through it all.

I suddenly jump when something furry touches the back of my arm.

"Hey boy." The cutest golden retriever sits patiently beside me, letting me pet him. His soft fur slips between my fingers as I look down to beach for his owner.

Placing my free hand over my eyes to block to sun from blinding me, I recognize a figure jogging over to me.

"Hey." He runs his fingers through his hair as he approaches me. He looks casual today, in some cargo shorts and a white t-shirt which fits tightly around his muscular arms. I wonder what is underneath his- 

Clearing my throat quickly I smile and reply, realizing that I've just been checking him out.

"Hi Brody."

A smile tugs at the corner of his mouth as I stand up, collecting my Chucks from sand and dusting myself off.

"This is Colby, sorry if he scared you. He is super friendly and just wants you to rub his belly most of time."

I laugh looking down at Colby who is laid on his back, waiting for said belly rub.

"See." Brody points out which makes me laugh again.

"Well I can give you belly rubs all day Colby."

Leaning down I gently scratch his belly to which he barks at.

"Aren't you the cutest." I tell him while now stroking his head. He pushes his tongue out which connects with the side of my face.

"Ohh thank you!" I can't help but smile and laugh. Colby is literally the cutest thing I've ever seen. I've always like animals, dogs especially.

"Alright, alright Colby. Come on now."

"He's fine. I like him." I tell Brody honestly. "How old is he?"

"He's five. He loves coming to the beach."

"Me too." I whisper into his fur.

"Well, it was nice to see you again Scar."

I blush at my nickname as it falls out of his mouth.

"You too Brody." I nod at him and gently pat Colby's head.

As he walks off, my gaze falls back on the ocean infront of me. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in.

"Hey Scar!"

My head turns left to Brody and Colby who have stopped walking and are both facing me.

"We are heading into town for a coffee if you want to join us?" He pushes his fists into his pockets while he waits for my answer.

I look back at the ocean once again and smile. Turning back to Brody I nod.

"Yeah, I'd like that."

Colby barks as I start making my way over to them and I see Brody grinning that stretches up to his ears.

Well reach the coffee shop and select a table outside. Brody surprisingly holds the chair open for me as I sit.

"Thank you."

"Your welcome. Would you mind staying out here with Colby while I go grab our coffees?"

"Uh, sure."

"What would you like?"

"Oh, I normally just have a Cappuccino. Thanks."

"One Cappuccino coming up."

I smile as Brody makes his way inside, leaving me with Colby sat at my feet.

I stroke the top of his head while taking in the town from where I'm sat. I have to set off soon, back to London and I'm really not looking forward to it. Colby whines and rest his head in my lap, almost like he is comforting me in his own way.

Brody reappears with our coffees as he sits and takes me in.

"Everything alright?" His brows furrow as he speaks.

"Yeah, sorry I'm just not looking forward to going back to London tonight." Giving him a sad smile, I pick up my coffee and take a sip. The strong taste warming my throat.

"Oh yeah. You going back with your boyfriend?"

"No, actually he went back last night after what happened." 

"After we kicked him out of the party?"

"Well yes, and after I ended things with him."

"You broke up with him?"

"Yeah. It was a long time coming, he hasn't treated me well in a while now and well, last night was the final straw I guess." I shrug, avoiding eye contact with Brody.

"I actually want to apologize for last night Scar, I didn't know you had a boyfriend-"

"Honestly, it's fine." I interrupt him. I don't need to hear from him that our nearly kiss was a mistake because I think that will hurt more than my break up with Ryan.

"What do you do for work in London?"

"I'm a receptionist at a law firm, Richard & Sons. What about you?"

"I just the town's handyman really. I have skills in a bit of everything thanks to my Uncle. He runs the farm so I'm sometimes up there helping him out too."

"That's great."

"Where do you live in the city?"

"Just in a shared studio apartment at the minute with my two roommates."

"So you didn't live with what's his face then?" He smirks at me over the table.

"Ryan, no." I shake my head. It was probably for the best that we never lived together to be honest. I would have no where to go.

"Sorry if I'm overstepping, but how long were you two together?"

"Nearly two years."

He raises his brows in shock.

I should have got out sooner I know that now. I have been unhappy for way too long. I need to make myself a priority and actually enjoy living and spending time with the people I care about.

"Justin said your staying with them in the annex while your here?"

"Yeah. It's probably bigger than my apartment in the city you know." I laugh for the first time in a while.

It dawns on me that I am actually enjoying another male's company. Or maybe it's just because that man is Brody. We ended up having lunch together at the coffee shop before walking back to Charlotte and Justin's.

"Thank you for lunch. I had a really nice time." I tell him as I bend down to my new friend.

"It was nice meeting you too Colby." Giving him a pat, he barks at me almost as his way of saying goodbye.

"Well, hopefully see you again soon. It's been really nice getting to know you Scar."

He leans into me and places a kiss on my cheek. His scent drifting up my nose as a smile appears on my lips and my breath hitches in my throat. The shivers I feel this time aren't because of the cool breeze, they are because of Brody's lips on my skin.

What is this feeling?

~

I enter my building the following morning just before 9am. The ride home was long last night and I had questions running through my mind of what these new feelings were I suddenly had in me.

I have scheduled a meeting with Linda today to speak to her about something which I'm praying she will agree to.

Reaching my desk, I place my coffee and bag down before taking off my jacket.

"Morning Scarlett. My 10am has cancelled so we can have a chat then if that works for you?"

"Morning, that would be great Linda, thank you."

I prepare myself mentally for stepping inside Linda's office. I decide I'm going to just be upfront and ask for what I want and if she says no then I give her my resignation. I'm that serious.

"Alright, hit me." Okay straight to the point.

"So, recently I haven't been happy and it has come to my attention that in my two years of working here, I've never had any time off for a holiday. I would like to ask for the entire of July and August off."

I take a breath, clutching my hands together nervously.

"Done."

"Uh, sorry?"

"Yes, that's all fine. Take some time off for yourself Scarlett, you deserve it."

Wow. I fucking did it. I stood up for myself and what I wanted and I got it. The time off I'm so in need of so I can go back to Whitedale and spend the summer with my best friend.

"Thank you." I smile across to Linda as she gently nods at me.

I quickly exit pulling my phone out of my pocket.

Dialling Charlotte's number, I walk into the bathroom for some privacy.

"Hey Scar, shouldn't you be at work?"

"Hey, I am at work I just needed to call you and tell you something really exciting, and ask for a favour too?"

"What's going on?" Her voice wary down the line, I can tell she is concerned.

"So, will your annex be free for the next two months because I just got my holiday time off approved and I want to spend it in Whitedale with you for your wedding prep."

Before I even finished my sentence Char was screaming down the phone.

"This is going to be the best summer ever! And yes the annex is yours!"

"Thanks Char, I will come to yours in a couple of weekends to bring some of my things if that's alright?"

"Yes, yes of course! I'm so excited. I can't wait to tell Justin!"

I hang up before my best friend gives me a burst eardrum from all of her screaming.

Chuckling to myself I return back to my desk, already feeling happier that I will be returning to the only place that has ever been my home.

***

Please vote and comment throughout,
I would love to hear your thoughts!

***

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

274K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...
65.9K 4.8K 27
Emily and River meet in Miami, where they have the time of their lives, but it isn't meant to be: the next morning, Emily leaves for San Francisco, l...
12.2M 395K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
17.9K 609 39
They met for the right reasons but at the wrong time. She was just about to graduate from college, and he was already a successful CEO/Businessman w...